Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #51
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that one of the long term aftereffects of the Great Recession is that corporations have simply lost the muscle memory required to raise salaries enough to acquire and retain quality workers.

I've seen several more recent articles where hiring executives are bemoaning the lack of talent available with no sense that the company has even considered doing the primary thing that companies have done for decades when needing to fill jobs.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #52
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
those that are here are pricing themselves out it seems .

dola;

Like, I really don't mean to pick on this statement in particular, but it really gets to what I am talking about.

"Pricing themselves out" implies that the salary is some sort of government-mandated maximum salary. It isn't. It's a corporate decision like any other.
Under the free market, it seems that the response to no good employees being willing to work for a certain wage is to raise that wage until you get good employees.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #53
cuervo72
Head Coach

I think there's a little of both. When I was looking for a new position (and I was looking for a good 2.5 months) I was afraid that I would be lucky to get within 80% of what I was making before; many employers just aren't willing to pay, or they want to pay more of an entry/mid-level salary for someone with a good bit of experience.

Now that I'm at my job, I can say that we've been looking for SysAdmins for a while, and it's been very difficult to find them at the level of expertise that we'd like. In this case I don't think it's just a matter of pay.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 04-18-2018 at 10:32 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #54
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
To be fair, the mid/high level experience people aren't pricing themselves out. They're demanding adequate salaries after years of salary freezes, unpaid overtimes, layoffs, and low salaries.

It's an obnoxious cycle. Corporations don't want to pay market value for veteran IT workers, IT workers are tired of being shit on, underpaid, and outsourced. You get what you pay for, though, and I can count on one hand the number of times outsourced IT projects have led to a quality product.

I have seen it both ways.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:38 PM   #55
bhlloy
Coordinator

The other thing I've seen way too much of in IT (even been a part of it, unfortunately) is companies waiting 3-6 months to hire the perfect person with exactly the right experience, passing on lots of good but not perfect candidates and ending up either settling or having to pay an experienced guy way too much money. I'm willing to bet in most of those cases if you took somebody hungry with some relevant experience they could have trained up to take the role by the time the position is even filled.

My current team has sat on 3 reqs for over 6 months, interviewed dozens of candidates and now due to leadership changes and budget holes we aren't actually able to hire anyone, so we've got 2 people doing the work of 5. And pretty soon may end up with none.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:56 AM   #56
lungs
Pro Rookie

Don't call the cops... it's legal
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #57
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

looks like you need to plant a couple more than that!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #58
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
looks like you need to plant a couple more than that!

That's just one tray. We're also getting some clones from Colorado in June.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #59
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
looks like spearmint plants to me
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #60
Edward64
Head Coach

... and so how much profit can you make?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:23 PM   #61
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
... and so how much profit can you make?

Rudimentary math tells me that I’ll be able to double my equipment costs with the first crop. That’s with using LED grow lights which were a lot more expensive. The big advantage I have right now is that both the production facility and retail building are already owned by us. We are using a machine shop on the farm along with an old patch of pasture that’s been sitting dormant. Right now my sister rents out the retail facility to a psychic that has trouble paying rent.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:25 PM   #62
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Rudimentary math tells me that I’ll be able to double my equipment costs with the first crop.

If you lose your initial investment, buy twice as much equipment anyway.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:36 PM   #63
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Jbmagic has been brought on in an advisory capacity.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:29 AM   #64
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Rudimentary math tells me that I’ll be able to double my equipment costs with the first crop. That’s with using LED grow lights which were a lot more expensive. The big advantage I have right now is that both the production facility and retail building are already owned by us. We are using a machine shop on the farm along with an old patch of pasture that’s been sitting dormant. Right now my sister rents out the retail facility to a psychic that has trouble paying rent.

Nice.

Are you worried about security as your business expands?
Old 05-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #65
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Nice.

Are you worried about security as your business expands?

It will definitely be a consideration. Even with our machine shop, it’s always been kind of a community shop. Neighbors, friends, employees all used it pretty freely. So obviously that is going to change.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:08 AM   #66
Edward64
Head Coach

Thinking about this thread when I read the below.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...st-you-n887941
Quote:
All Curtis Coombs wanted was to raise cows and run his family’s dairy farm in this slice of Kentucky hill country, less than 35 miles from Louisville. But a few weeks ago, he was forced to sell his milking herd of 82 cows, putting an end to his family’s nearly 70-year dairy business.
:
“It’s just hard to believe it’s over,” Coombs said later, choking up. “As long as you was milking cows, you always thought there was a hope you'd get back to it. At this point, even if there's a Hail Mary pass, we're done.”

Coombs is one of more than 100 dairy farmers across seven states who learned in March that they would lose their contract with Dean Foods, which runs a milk processing plant in Louisville that mainly served Walmart. Dean Foods is shutting the plant at the end of the summer because Walmart is building its own processing facility in Fort Wayne, Indiana, and will work directly with dairy farms there instead.

Many of the Kentucky dairy farmers who sold their milk to Dean Foods have not yet found anyone else to buy it instead — and like Coombs, they could soon have to sell their cows. They are just the latest of more than 42,000 dairy farmers who have gone out of business since 2000, casualties of an outdated business model, pricey farm loans and pressures from corporate agriculture.

There were nearly 650,000 dairy farms in the U.S. in 1970, but just 40,219 remained at the end of 2017, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Cows are producing more milk than ever, but they’re consolidated on bigger, more efficient farms. In 1987, half of American dairy farms had 80 or fewer cows; by 2012, that figure had risen to 900 cows.

“I don’t see anything that would give them hope at this point,” Schroeder said. “The best advice I can give to these folks, dairy farmers, is to sell out as fast as you can.”

At Walmart, shoppers in Kentucky can buy a gallon of milk for as little as 78 cents, but that’s far less than what the company paid for it or even what it cost the farmer to produce. Stores often sell milk at a loss since it’s a staple and customers may pick up more profitable items as well.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:34 AM   #67
tarcone
Coordinator

Great job.

I think in a year or 2 we should plan a FOFC get together on Lungs farm.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #68
Edward64
Head Coach

Will he charge us to sample his "crops"?
Old 07-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #69
cuervo72
Head Coach

78 cents!
Old 07-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #70
lungs
Pro Rookie

That article sure is making the rounds.... And it's looking like a pretty solid move that I pulled the trigger on selling out earlier this year. The last of the milk cows left on May 31st. Things went a little slower than anticipated.

My dad has put the dairy facilities up for sale. My sister and I briefly discussed trying to purchase everything and convert it to cannabis production but after a little thought we could put up something specific to cannabis a lot cheaper than buying a dairy farm and then converting it to cannabis production. Selling the farm may be considered a sad thing but it'd sure as hell make a lot of problems go away like owing vendors money!

I've got my outdoor cannabis grow going great and the indoor grow took some TLC as I received some clones from Colorado that were in pretty poor shape when I got them. Not going to be a huge crop this year but I think it's going to be a good jumping off point to start scaling things. Still have to get our retail outlet opened. The city police chief where we want to open has not been cooperative. Hopefully we can get through to him that what we are doing is in fact, legal.

Indoor grow, even got my nephew involved!

Outdoor:
Old 07-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #71
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Quote:
Jbmagic has been brought on in an advisory capacity.

GODDAMMIT I LOVE YOU GUYS
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #72
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

with an outdoor grow...how do you stop people from just wandering in an picking?

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 07-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #73
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
with an outdoor grow...how do you stop people from just wandering in an picking?

This is tucked pretty deep into our property. Really, there is about a one month window where it'd be worth stealing. Right now, no flowers have bloomed so it's pretty worthless until then. That and I'll bank on the fact that this has THC levels so negligible that it won't get you stoned one bit.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #74
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This is tucked pretty deep into our property. Really, there is about a one month window where it'd be worth stealing. Right now, no flowers have bloomed so it's pretty worthless until then. That and I'll bank on the fact that this has THC levels so negligible that it won't get you stoned one bit.

So ummmm, need any extra hands during that one month window?
Old 07-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #75
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So ummmm, need any extra hands during that one month window?

Heh, maybe once I have thousands of plants instead of 150.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:29 PM   #76
Drake
assmaster

Hey, I was in Wisconsin the other day and was hoping I see some of your cows with a For Sale sign on them. I had a truck and everything...but I was terrified to get off I-94 once I was on it because I wasn't sure if the construction would let me back on.

Also, why the hell are there so many Taco John restaurants in Wisconsin? And was this a factor in your plan to get into the hemp industry?

(Seriously: can you sell medicinal CBD through mail order across state lines? I can get it in my state legally, but I don't like any of my local shops and my wife has a seizure disorder that CBD helps with.)

Last edited by Drake : 07-18-2018 at 11:35 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:48 AM   #77
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
(Seriously: can you sell medicinal CBD through mail order across state lines? I can get it in my state legally, but I don't like any of my local shops and my wife has a seizure disorder that CBD helps with.)

Interstate commerce is where Congress and the Justice Department get involved.

Until and unless Congress acts and Trump signs off on it, the Justice Department is going to be "not just no, but hell no" on any sort of marijuana venture that crosses state lines (and Sessions is going to take the view that local legalization cannot supercede federal prohibition).

TL;DR: you could try, but if I were in lungs' position, I'd likely not risk it, regardless of the THC content. DOJ would love the excuse.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:35 AM   #78
richardcharles
n00b

Can I trade you some magic beans?
Old 07-19-2018, 06:27 AM   #79
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I
TL;DR: you could try, but if I were in lungs' position, I'd likely not risk it, regardless of the THC content. DOJ would love the excuse.

Thanks, Sack. Appreciate all of the info.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #80
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Hey, I was in Wisconsin the other day and was hoping I see some of your cows with a For Sale sign on them. I had a truck and everything...but I was terrified to get off I-94 once I was on it because I wasn't sure if the construction would let me back on.

Also, why the hell are there so many Taco John restaurants in Wisconsin? And was this a factor in your plan to get into the hemp industry?

I'm sure you could have gotten on at some point!

I'm in a Taco John dead area. I have a friend that would drive an hour and a half just to get some TJs. I never saw the allure. I've personally been Taco Bell free since 2015. I had an unfortunate incident after eating that stuff. Guess I shouldn't be surprised as they staff this Taco Bell from the local jail work release program.

I don't have any product to offer yet. Harvest should happen in September.

Here's a few reputable companies that will ship to all 50 states:
https://www.thecbdistillery.com/
https://nuleafnaturals.com/
https://bluebirdbotanicals.com/
Old 07-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #81
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Interstate commerce is where Congress and the Justice Department get involved.

Until and unless Congress acts and Trump signs off on it, the Justice Department is going to be "not just no, but hell no" on any sort of marijuana venture that crosses state lines (and Sessions is going to take the view that local legalization cannot supercede federal prohibition).

It is actually legal to sell across state lines as long as the product is derived from hemp as defined by the 2014 Farm Bill as being <0.3% THC. There are some that would argue that it is technically still illegal but nobody is enforcing it. They've attached a Hemp Farming Bill to the 2018 Farm Bill that once passed there will no longer be any gray area.

I've bought hemp flower that looks just like regular marijuana from https://tweedlefarms.com/. They send lab reports and a note to any potential law enforcement explaining exactly what it is and why it is legal to ship. I just wouldn't walk down to the local police station smoking a joint of this stuff. You would probably still be charged with possession and have to fight it in court.

Easiest is to just buy the non-smokable oils, etc... Nobody will arrest you for that unless you have some really ass backward law enforcement.

Last edited by lungs : 07-19-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #82
lungs
Pro Rookie

Double dola

Just talked to my sister and before my own crop is ready to process, we'll be working with a company and Colorado that will make our own private brand CBD Oil. So we may have something sooner than later. Pretty sure we'll be setting up a web shop, maybe I can convince her to have coupon code FOFC for an FOFC discount
Old 07-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #83
tarcone
Coordinator

SO you are growing Hemp with no THC? Or are growing different strains with different THC levels?

Old 07-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #84
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
SO you are growing Hemp with no THC? Or are growing different strains with different THC levels?

Legally what I grow cannot exceed 0.3% THC. So the strains I've selected fit that criteria.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #85
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Legally what I grow cannot exceed 0.3% THC. So the strains I've selected fit that criteria.

0.3, 3.0, 30. Honest mistakes can be made.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:05 PM   #86
DanGarion
Coordinator

What makes CBD oils any more special than the great Hun Oils that are part of MLM?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #87
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
What makes CBD oils any more special than the great Hun Oils that are part of MLM?

I don't know much about other oils... I usually think of them as snake oils

https://elixinol.com/blog/how-does-c...diol-cbd-work/

That link goes into some of the mechanism within the body. Research is still limited due to the federal status of cannabis.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #88
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Okay why the hell is heavy cream so much more expensive than half and half, sour cream, and butter.

Need answer!!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #89
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Okay why the hell is heavy cream so much more expensive than half and half, sour cream, and butter.

Need answer!!

More fat? Fat is valuable now. But then again butter is basically heavy cream that's been shaken up. Not sure. I'm out of the business now
Old 08-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #90
lungs
Pro Rookie

Looks like we are closing in on a deal to sell the farm. It's been in the family since 1942 when my grandpa bought it in order to dodge World War II (My great grandpa came within feet of getting blown up in WWI so he wanted to make damn sure my grandpa didn't have to go).

Dairy farms aren't a very popular real estate item right now but luckily we have some Dutch immigrants a few miles away that are bumping up against the regulatory limit for animal units so they want to start a second farm.

So I am currently making plans on moving my cannabis operation for next year. Got a quote on a greenhouse and investors ready to pay for it!

Here's what I've got going indoors:
Old 08-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #91
tarcone
Coordinator

So any personal stock? Something that is medicinal for, say, pain relief?

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:41 AM   #92
lungs
Pro Rookie

Nothing more beautiful than a flowering cannabis plant

In other news, we made the Milwaukee newspaper.

And tarcone, I can ship you some when it's done but won't get you high (but it may help your aches and pains!)

Last edited by lungs : 09-13-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:04 PM   #93
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

so...you are growing cannabis with no THC? what is the world coming to!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 09-13-2018, 09:15 PM   #94
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
In other news, we made the Milwaukee newspaper.

There is so much Reefer Madness residue in that article, it's painful to read. I kept waiting for someone to say something like, "I'm not going let ganja goons congregate on my lawn! Next thing you know it will be the satan worshippers and the sex fiends!"
Old 09-13-2018, 09:20 PM   #95
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
so...you are growing cannabis with no THC? what is the world coming to!

And somehow, this is still a highly controversial enterprise!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #96
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
There is so much Reefer Madness residue in that article, it's painful to read. I kept waiting for someone to say something like, "I'm not going let ganja goons congregate on my lawn! Next thing you know it will be the satan worshippers and the sex fiends!"

This is suburban Milwaukee. Very conservative. The Mayor got his say in that article, though most of the other members of the board were well educated on the topic and all for it. I don't anticipate any problems moving forward. If there are, we've got a pretty good attorney on retainer

Last edited by lungs : 09-13-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #97
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

One of the best analogies Ive heard was banning CBD because you are cared of pot heads is like banning a lumber store in a town because you are scared of pine beetle infestations...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #98
lungs
Pro Rookie

We passed! The state came through last week and tested my cannabis for THC. Got the results today and all is good. We definitely pushed the limit but in the end we got the certificate that says we can sell it!

Old 10-01-2018, 03:27 PM   #99
tarcone
Coordinator

Great! Congrats! Goo thing they didnt test your private stock. Im kidding if the DEA is monitoring this board.

I would be interested in it for pain relief. Get away from ibuprofen. Tell me when you want to sell.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #100
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That is a lovely cola, lungs. Was that done entirely with LEDs through veg and flower, or are you using some other supplemental lighting? Are you guys sending all of your harvest out to a 3rd party extractor for oil, or are you going to do any processing yourself?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 10-01-2018 at 08:05 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote