Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-26-2019, 12:59 PM   #301
JPhillips
General Manager

It's so hard to defend OSU when four or five guys can break off a TD every down. Wiscy has done a really good job, but they've given up a few back breaking plays.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:06 PM   #302
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa shuts out NW. More importanly and unfortunately not Iowa related but it should be K State is beating Oklahoma by 18 in the 4th quarter.

K States coach is former NDSU HC Chris Klieman. He is a native of Waterloo, Iowa which is an hour north of Iowa City.

How I wish he would become our HC

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 04:43 PM   #303
tarcone
Coordinator

Baylor is the only undefeated team in the Big 12. Who would have thought that after they essentially got the death penalty

Old 10-26-2019, 04:43 PM   #304
tarcone
Coordinator

Nebraska is wearing pirate shirts today....LOL

Old 10-26-2019, 04:44 PM   #305
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

South Carolina's Bryan Edwards makes an OBJ-esque catch that's probably gonna be play of the day. Two crappy teams but a helluva catch.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:20 PM   #306
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

South Carolina also doing their dead-level best to get Muschamp fired despite the upset of UGAg.

That's dedication to the greater good right there.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:20 PM   #307
tarcone
Coordinator

Indiana beats Nebraska in Lincoln on a day whe Nebby is wearing black jerseys with a skull and cross bones on them. Yeah, Nebby has fallen a long way.

Old 10-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #308
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

LSU survives. Grabs Auburn's on side kick and wins by 3.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:44 PM   #309
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
LSU survives. Grabs Auburn's on side kick and wins by 3.

Question (IMO anyway) is whether the narrow victory makes Auburn look good in defeat or makes LSU look not so good while winning.

I'm leaning toward the latter myself. To dominate someone, at home, so thoroughly and escape with a three point win ... not sure I'm as impressed as I'm supposed to be.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:01 PM   #310
cuervo72
Head Coach

Eh, but voters/pollsters will be. Setting up for another loser of LSU/Bama still gets in scenario.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:22 PM   #311
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Eh, but voters/pollsters will be. Setting up for another loser of LSU/Bama still gets in scenario.

Which might still be perfectly legit ... I just don't think I'm sold on LSU being my #3 (which was really more like #2.01) next week anymore.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:07 PM   #312
tarcone
Coordinator

Its the SEC. Win no matter how it looks.

Final 4 right now is ALabama, LSU, OSU and CLemson.

Thiss deosnt change. When Alabama beats LSU, it still doesnt change.

SEC gets 2. This year it doesnt matter. Or really any year.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:25 PM   #313
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
This year it doesnt matter. Or really any year.

Well there aren't exactly a lot of teams making a case to have it be otherwise.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:34 PM   #314
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well there aren't exactly a lot of teams making a case to have it be otherwise.

Ummm, Iowa???? They just whipped Northwestern like it was no ones business.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:38 PM   #315
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Question (IMO anyway) is whether the narrow victory makes Auburn look good in defeat or makes LSU look not so good while winning.

I'm leaning toward the latter myself. To dominate someone, at home, so thoroughly and escape with a three point win ... not sure I'm as impressed as I'm supposed to be.

It doesnt change the way LSU looks to me. Beating a top 10 team by any amount is a good look for me.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:45 PM   #316
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
It doesnt change the way LSU looks to me. Beating a top 10 team by any amount is a good look for me.

It definitely changed mine.

Right now Auburn is playing with one of the most overmatched QBs in the conference (which is saying something considered how many SEC teams are down to their 2nd/3rd QBs due to injury). That the game was as close as it was definitely creates questions about LSU's place in the pecking order for me.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:58 PM   #317
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It definitely changed mine.

Right now Auburn is playing with one of the most overmatched QBs in the conference (which is saying something considered how many SEC teams are down to their 2nd/3rd QBs due to injury). That the game was as close as it was definitely creates questions about LSU's place in the pecking order for me.

Fair enough.... When you put it that way.

Still seems like
bama
Ohio St
Clemson
LSU

are a cut above the rest.

Now that the national yearly pretender Oklahoma fell flat on their ass like normal with a crappy defensive performance.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:03 PM   #318
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Fair enough.... When you put it that way.

Still seems like
bama
Ohio St
Clemson
LSU

are a cut above the rest.

Now that the national yearly pretender Oklahoma fell flat on their ass like normal with a crappy defensive performance.

What about Iowa? That is your tiresome go to.

maybe Kansas State. BillSnyder was an Iowa guy. ANd Chris THieman is from Waterloo Iowa. Therefore Iowa should be in the hunt, Right?

You are tiresome.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:06 PM   #319
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What about Iowa? That is your tiresome go to.

maybe Kansas State. BillSnyder was an Iowa guy. ANd Chris THieman is from Waterloo Iowa. Therefore Iowa should be in the hunt, Right?

You are tiresome.

You bring it on yourself. Iowa is good for 7-9 wins most years. They are NEVER a national championship contender and they NEVER suck. Be consistent and normalize your thoughts and Ill let you be.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:11 PM   #320
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
You bring it on yourself. Iowa is good for 7-9 wins most years. They are NEVER a national championship contender and they NEVER suck. Be consistent and normalize your thoughts and Ill let you be.

No shit sherlock. So I get excited about a rare 7-0 start. You seem to hang your hat on it. \

Get over yourself

Old 10-26-2019, 10:19 PM   #321
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No shit sherlock. So I get excited about a rare 7-0 start. You seem to hang your hat on it. \

Get over yourself

If you cant handle the truths about the Hawkeyes. I found a cool place for you

Football | HawkeyeNation.com Forum

I am sure you can find someone just like you over there. Otherwise every year that you come spouting off foolish Hawkeye talk I will likely call your ass out on it.

#Getaclue
Old 10-26-2019, 11:01 PM   #322
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Random thing to watch when the polls are released.

Notre Dame ended up ahead of Georgia in the national polls (despite having lost to them h2h)

Situation is right for Michigan to jump Wisconsin the same way.

In both cases, that just seems wrong to me.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-26-2019 at 11:01 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:34 PM   #323
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Situation is right for Michigan to jump Wisconsin the same way.

In both cases, that just seems wrong to me.

Losing to Illinois will do that.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:12 AM   #324
bhlloy
Coordinator

Coug’in it again!
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:04 AM   #325
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Barry, you're a nice guy and all.... but your preparation stinks and for some reason, your players are not motivated to win on the road. What a stinker to get crushed by Kentucky after losing to Vandy.

You need to go back to DC and we need to hire a real HC.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #326
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
If you cant handle the truths about the Hawkeyes. I found a cool place for you

Football | HawkeyeNation.com Forum

I am sure you can find someone just like you over there. Otherwise every year that you come spouting off foolish Hawkeye talk I will likely call your ass out on it.

#Getaclue

I am a member there already. Ive mentioned this before.

Yes, Im a die hard. Raised in Iowa City watching a program go through 2 decades of losing. Watching a coach come in and transform the entire state. Seeing a team ranked #1 at one point. Then this guy comes in and rebuilds Iowa into a power again. 3 straight years of knocking on the door in the early 2000s. Then this stagnant era. Where we get a glimpse of what could be. Do i get excited? You bet. Shoot, if Clemson can do it, why not Iowa?

But you go about your life as a just a fan. No real allegiance to any team. Just a guy who likes to rain on others parades. Hope you enjoy it.

And Iowa could play a role in the NC hunt this season. We beat Minny and Wiscy, we go to the B1G championship game and the last time we played OSU we put 55 on them.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #327
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
And Iowa could play a role in the NC hunt this season. We beat Minny and Wiscy, we go to the B1G championship game and the last time we played OSU we put 55 on them.

Just beat an undefeated Minny, Wisconsin on the road, and maybe the best team in the nation.

No problem.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:02 AM   #328
lungs
Pro Rookie

It'll be interesting to see Minnesota play a good team next week. Their close calls earlier this year made me think they aren't all that great. But they've been taking care of business lately. From my watching them this year, I think they have a nice stable of RBs and WRs but I'm not sure the rest of the squad is ELITE yet (using PJ Fleck terminology).
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #329
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Indiana beats Nebraska in Lincoln on a day whe Nebby is wearing black jerseys with a skull and cross bones on them. Yeah, Nebby has fallen a long way.

I'm just enjoying the fact that IU is bowl eligible in OCTOBER! Our team is finally finding a way to fight through adversity and win the close ones after years (decades) of finding ways to lose. Love what Tom Allen has brought to this team. Go Hoosiers!
Old 10-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #330
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I am a member there already. Ive mentioned this before.

Yes, Im a die hard. Raised in Iowa City watching a program go through 2 decades of losing. Watching a coach come in and transform the entire state. Seeing a team ranked #1 at one point. Then this guy comes in and rebuilds Iowa into a power again. 3 straight years of knocking on the door in the early 2000s. Then this stagnant era. Where we get a glimpse of what could be. Do i get excited? You bet. Shoot, if Clemson can do it, why not Iowa?

But you go about your life as a just a fan. No real allegiance to any team. Just a guy who likes to rain on others parades. Hope you enjoy it.

You are basically the MBBF of Iowa sports. I tried to playfully call you out on it a week or so ago and you went off like we had some sort of real life beef worthy of complete level 10 douchy response.

Iowa is not playing a part in the national title picture. It's as absurd as MBBF or me saying Mizzou could roll Florida (since they always seem to have Florida's number) or win out the East and beat Alabama and/or LSU in the SEC title game. I would fully expect the board to call me out on it and not be an ass in my response for being called out for being a homer.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:09 AM   #331
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

It doesnt bother me that you get excited about your team. Good for you. What annoys me is when they lose(as expected) and you shift and talk about how shitty they are and their coaching is just awful. If you want to be a superfan be a superfan but back them up after a loss as well. I mean talking national championship contender to they suck in a span of a week which shifts 2-3 times per season is just not a stable mindset. If you really think KF is such a horrible coach they never really had a chance to win the National Championship in the first place, right?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-29-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #332
tarcone
Coordinator

Minny has played no one yet. They play PSU next then travel to Iowa the week after that then travel to NW and host Wiscy. Thats a brutal end of the schedule. They could go 0-4. But NW sucks so I imagine 1-3.

Wiscy Hosts Iowa next then it gets easy. And they play Minny last. Wiscy could go 3-1 or 4-0.

Iowa goes to Wiscy, hosts Minny and then has Illinois and Nebby. 3-1 in most likely.

Its a round robin between Iowa, Wiscy, and Minny. Minny is untested. Wscy has been blown out twice. Iowa lost by one score to the 6 rated team and 13th rated team in the nation.

I like Iowas chances. If only the offense would show up. Shoot if we had an offense rated in the 50s with our 5th rated defense we would be undefeated.

But our upper 80s offense just isnt getting it done against good defenses. And they will face one next in Wiscy.

Those games are always slobber knockers with the occasional blowout.

I would say Wiscy has the upper hand right now, followed by Iowa then Minny.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #333
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Mizzou has a week off before they will get absolutely crushed by Georgia
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:08 PM   #334
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Mizzou has a week off before they will get absolutely crushed by Georgia

Unless, of course, the same team that played South Carolina reappears.

In which case it's a nailbiter.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:10 PM   #335
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Iowa goes to Wiscy, hosts Minny and then has Illinois and Nebby. 3-1 in most likely.

3-1 "most likely" only to an Iowa diehard. I'd say 2-2 is most likely...with 1-3 being possible, though not likely.

Now they may well go 3-1 heck they may go 4-0... but it isn't most likely I dont think.

I wonder what kind of parlay odds you could get today on that 4 game money line
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:15 PM   #336
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
3-1 "most likely" only to an Iowa diehard. I'd say 2-2 is most likely...with 1-3 being possible, though not likely.

Now they may well go 3-1 heck they may go 4-0... but it isn't most likely I dont think.

Technically you couldn't because there wouldn't be lines listed that far out. You would just have to roll over your moneyline bet each week. You can google parlay calculator if you want to come up with your own hypothetical lines.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:20 PM   #337
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Probably around
Wisconsin should be favored around 5-6 at home vs Iowa(+200)
Iowa will probably be a 4-5 point favorite at home against Minny(-200)
They will be huge favs 24sh against Illinois at home(-2300)
and at Nebraska they will likely be around 7-10 point favs(-275)

With them projected lines it should be around 5.5/6-1 on that money line parlay

Minnesota is a very soft 8-0....Their toughest games were at Fresno St(which took a miracle 4th and 20 play for them to win) and at Purdue(in which Purdue lost their starting QB and stud WR to injury early in the game.....After they barely escaped their weak non conference schedule and snuck past an undermanned Purdue team undefeated they have beat up on maybe the 4 worst teams in the B1G in Illinois, Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland although very convincingly if that counts for something.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-29-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:11 AM   #338
RendeR
Coordinator

Does any of this Iowa talk really matter? There is only one team coming out of the Big10. That team is Ohio State.

This isn't the overly inconsistant team of the last 3 years. This isn't the weak defense being covered by amazing passing game of the last few years.

This is a balanced, powerful, will beat you in every phase of the game, team that from everything I've watched this season is the best team in the land, barring only Bama's consistancy. LSU and Auburn Should be also rans in the rankings right now. Clemson should be a distant 3rd.

Its like arguing over the scraps from longshank's table talking about the Big10 "other" division....
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:28 AM   #339
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Does any of this Iowa talk really matter? There is only one team coming out of the Big10. That team is Ohio State.

This isn't the overly inconsistant team of the last 3 years. This isn't the weak defense being covered by amazing passing game of the last few years.

This is a balanced, powerful, will beat you in every phase of the game, team that from everything I've watched this season is the best team in the land, barring only Bama's consistancy. LSU and Auburn Should be also rans in the rankings right now. Clemson should be a distant 3rd.

Its like arguing over the scraps from longshank's table talking about the Big10 "other" division....

I don't know if the one year Dwayne Haskins was QB counts as "the last few years".

This is pretty much the JT Barrett era Ohio State. Defense is fine, offense is really good, they don't make a lot of mistakes. The teams they have played don't have dynamic offenses, so we're really still waiting to see them play a team with a really good offense. One could argue that Wisconsin is that team, but Wisconsin is basically Taylor, and OSU was able to stop him.

Last edited by Butter : 10-30-2019 at 06:29 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:29 AM   #340
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
. Clemson should be a distant 3rd....

Well they were clearly a distant 2nd last year...
Good thing they get to play it out these days at year end.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #341
Kodos
Resident Alien

College football: replace divisions with pod scheduling - Banner Society

What do you guys think of the proposed pod system in this article?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #342
tarcone
Coordinator

There are some rumblings that the B1G is already thinking of adopting this. Getting rid of divisions that have never worked. I think the 1st year it would be possible is 2022. They would have to petition the NCAA to allow them to have the 1st and 2nd place teams play in CCG. But That wouldnt be a problem.

I like it. Makes more sense.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:40 PM   #343
miked
College Starter

At the very least, they need B1G re-alignment. Having OSU, PSU, Michigan, MSU in the same division means the best teams have to play each other to see which above average team they can beat in the finals.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:40 PM   #344
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well they were clearly a distant 2nd last year...
Good thing they get to play it out these days at year end.

You dont think the team that has beaten Alabama 2 out of the past 3 years should be counted out this year with an undefeated record?

I mean I think Ohio State has perhaps looked unbeatable this year but they like Oklahoma seem to find a way to lose some game they have no business losing. It just hasnt happened to Ohio St YET.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:42 PM   #345
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
At the very least, they need B1G re-alignment. Having OSU, PSU, Michigan, MSU in the same division means the best teams have to play each other to see which above average team they can beat in the finals.

Agree! Its like two separate divisions one of them being barely above average and the other being excellent.

Kind of wish the SEC would follow and any other conference with 2 divisions.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:20 PM   #346
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Agree! Its like two separate divisions one of them being barely above average and the other being excellent.

Kind of wish the SEC would follow and any other conference with 2 divisions.

SEC divisions are just as badly balanced.

Wiscy shit the bed. They looked great.

Iowa will be the team that OSU shits the bed against.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:20 PM   #347
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
The Directional Michigan-ish Pod, protecting annual games between EMU, WMU, CMU, and Southeastern Michigan, more widely known as Toledo

I'm good with it.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:27 PM   #348
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
SEC divisions are just as badly balanced.

And yet in 27 years, the West only leads the East 15-12 in title game wins.

The higher ranked (going into the conference title game) advantage is 16-11 West, but only because of the current 9 year run.

Prior to what has largely been Alabama dominance, before we had the SEC Least, there was the SEC Worst.

Point being, there's a definite cyclical nature to a lot of this.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:23 PM   #349
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You dont think the team that has beaten Alabama 2 out of the past 3 years should be counted out this year with an undefeated record?

I mean I think Ohio State has perhaps looked unbeatable this year but they like Oklahoma seem to find a way to lose some game they have no business losing. It just hasnt happened to Ohio St YET.

I do think Ohio State has probably looked the best out of everyone year to date. But I remember how great they were in 16 as well.

.I also think Bama has major holes on the Defensive side of the ball no one is talking about.

Clemson is an after thought...or distant 3rd. Yet they lead the nation (again) in number of players played at the mid point in the season. After missing a game plus Tua has played the nearly same % of his offenses snaps on the season as Lawrence has not missing any games. Clemson subs early and often and doesn't worry about style points...meanwhile there is something wrong with them. All this despite playing more power 5 teams year to date than any other top 10 team.

But they are a distant 3rd. Lol.

But SEC, SEC.....Clemson drops from 1-3 beating UNC by 1. Every team has a bad week, Clemson won close in there's. UGA drops about the same LOSING to a bad SC team...an SC team I might add that got beat by that same UNC team...but they were a brutal SEC conference game...it just means more. Just ask Wyoming...
Old 10-30-2019, 09:42 PM   #350
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm with you on everything except the Clemson schedule. It isn't really their fault, but it's ridiculously easy this year.