Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #1
Umbrella
High School Varsity

job relocation advice

Hi all. This board traditionally gives good advice for life events, so I decided to throw my hat into the ring.

I just found out last week that they are closing my local office. It is a very small office with four people. However, they are offering us a relocation to another part of the country. For a little background, it would just be me and my wife, since all the kids are grown and out of the house. I haven't committed to anything yet, since HR will give us the official details this week.

We are leaning towards moving, but neither of us have done a move since we were in our 20's. I've lived here for 20 years now. I have no personal ties to my city, other than my wife's family, but our kids all live within a couple of hours, so we would both be away from everyone we know.

The whole thought of a cross country move is simultaneously exciting and terrifying. We would have two places to sell (our main house, and a little condo that we rent to one of our sons) in a short amount of time. The condo we were planning on selling this year anyways. Both places need some work to be ready to sell. Also, I'm working on a hot project for work that I was told I need to continue on, so I don't have much free time.

Right now, it's all very new, and I feel like I don't even know where to begin. Any and all advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

I'd start with...is the "offered relocation" mean they are just offering you a job in another part of the country? Or does it come with some sort of relocation package that could also include things like assistance with closing costs for your old and new place?

If it's only the former, the next question is what is the job market for you in your current location? Do you think you'd be able to find something relatively easy and/or at a reasonably close level of compensation?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Good questions. From what I understand, they are offering a relocation package, but I don't have the details yet. It sounds similar to what you are talking about with closing costs, etc. Like I said, I get the official details from HR later this week, so I can't give specifics.

The job market at my location (Tucson) is garbage, so I'm going to probably have to move no matter what. Phoenix is the closest city that I could get a decent job. That's where two of my kids are currently living, and where my side of the family lives, so we would still be close to family. But that would involve a smaller move, job search, etc. I do like my job, so my preference is to stay with the company. Plus, I have been with the company for 20 years, so my benefits are very good at this point. But I think they are going to offer a severance for anyone that doesn't want to take the relocation. If they offer something really juicy, I would certainly have to consider taking it, then perhaps going to Phoenix.

My wife is pretty excited about moving, as she hates living in the desert. So I have the "happy wife" factor involved as well.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
rjolley
College Starter

My wife and I made a cross country relocation from Atlanta to Sacramento last year for my work. I was staffed on a project here which will run for another 2 years. We had both talked about moving somewhere, but hadn't decided on a place, just that it wouldn't be California, mainly due to the cost of living and that neither of us had been out here much.

After thinking about it, we decided to take the move for a number of reasons. The job market here is good for my line of work as well as hers. I'm in IT and she's in accounting. Plenty of work for both of us here. The public schools are better here for the kids. In Atlanta, we were looking to move from our place to another area just for better public schools. We had already rented an apartment in a nearby school district just to get an address in a neighboring school district to get our oldest son in a better school. Finally, the relocation is temporary, so if we don't like it, the company will relocate us back after the project is over.

We did move from her family that was within a couple of hours of our house and from my family which was a bit further, but still on the East coast. At the end of the day, we felt moving here was the best option for our immediate family. Better opportunities for the kids, better work/life balance for me since I wouldn't have to travel every week, and a chance to explore a part of the country we'd never lived in but wanted to see.

Not an easy decision, but if you like adventure and your wife is up for the move, I'd say take it and enjoy. Give yourselves some time to be there, 6 months or more, and make sure you like it or not. If you can, hold onto your home in your old location for awhile, so you can have a place to move back to if the new location doesn't work out.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:46 AM   #5
cyril
Mascot

cliché: life is a journey.

But it is true, in one sense or other. I don't have any practical advice to offer. I know you are probably worried about all the errands/ unfinished businesses/ adjusting to new places/ new people, etc. I've been through all those (Hong Kong->FL->MA->CA->back to Hong Kong->now in taiwan...) In the larger scheme of things, your new journey will expand your horizon and enrich your life. As human beings, we need stimulus as well as stability. Sometimes these could contradict but these are the things that make life interesting. You are in the perfect situation, since your children are all independent and your wife looks forward to something new. After all, you are talking about moving within the same country, speaking the same language and in most part the same culture. Should not be too bad, right? Embrace your opportunity. Damn, these's a line in Forrest Gump, something about box of chocolates.... nah, never mind. Just go!
Old 07-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #6
DanGarion
Coordinator

I speak from recent moving experience. MOVING COSTS A LOT OF DOUGH, especially if your employer doesn't chip in. But at the end of the day it can REALLY be worth it.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
We had already rented an apartment in a nearby school district just to get an address in a neighboring school district to get our oldest son in a better school.

If I may indulge in a sidetrack here, and if you don't mind saying ... what district did you target as the improved situation?

Dunno why I'm oddly curious but apparently I'm curious enough to ask.

And no, no sweat if you'd rather than answer specifically for whatever reason.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:37 PM   #8
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I am in the process of making a smaller move for my work. It is definitely a shorter move (Indianapolis to the Cleveland area). Trying to find a rental has been a real pain in the ass especially since we haven't been able to get over there yet to check out the area.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:45 PM   #9
rjolley
College Starter

We rented in the Parkview district. The schools were better than anything in Dekalb. When we move back, we'll have to find a better school system for the kids.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:05 AM   #10
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Moving is pretty expensive when you have to self-fund it. I've done that twice in 2 years (june 2009, june 2011) moving from IL - FL (yay, 3% payraise for moving from tax to no tax) and from FL - CA (boo, 6% paycut for taxes). Strangely Miami to LA-ish was cheaper than IL to FL...

and now we're looking at moving again for career purposes. I'm tired of movig.
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #11
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Just got out of the meeting with HR, and the company is indeed offering a great relocation package. We will probably accept it.

Now it's time to start a "cross country move advice" thread.