Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
Subby
lolzcat

Boy Scouts of America Finally Updates Adult Leader Policy

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 07-13-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:03 PM   #2
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The first line:

Quote:
As a result of the rapid changes in society and increasing legal challenges at the federal, state, and local levels...

Rubs me the wrong way. Why make it sound like you're being forced to do this?
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
BillJasper
Pro Starter

About time.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
The first line: Rubs me the wrong way. Why make it sound like you're being forced to do this?

Because that's what it is: a capitulation. No more, no less. It's also likely the official beginning of the end for the organization, which is kind of a shame. Already facing pressure from competing groups, the number of troop sponsorships will be reduced with this move as religious organizations are frequently involved and a fair portion of them will be looking for alternatives now.

Just glad my kid got his Eagle done (and therefore qualified for a variety of college scholarships associated with it) before it gets to that point.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Boy Scouts of America Finally Updates Adult Leader Policy

Nowhere does it say that religious sponsored troops have to choose a gay leader. If they wouldn't have one today, they won't have to have one tomorrow.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 07-13-2015 at 09:37 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:46 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

If they wanted to do it right, they should have run that picture through the rainbow filter.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:01 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Nowhere does it say that religious sponsored troops have to choose a gay leader. If they wouldn't have one today, they won't have to have one tomorrow.

In many circles the risk is being perceived as too great -- again, this IS all about our litigious society after all -- and the formal association with BSA will no longer be an acceptable one for some sponsors.

With a growing number of options for youth (and a decreased interest in Scouting in the first place), the erosion will be a steady one.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:47 AM   #8
miked
College Starter

Yeah, banning gays worked well for them before, and the catholic church.

I think your skull may be a bit to thick and mishapen to understand that those things, so let me know if you want me to put these thoughts in the neanderthal filter.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:59 AM   #9
heybrad
Norm!!!

I was heavily involved in Scouts as a youth and an adult. I'm an eagle scout. I worked summer camps as part of an honor scouting organization (not OA if anybody cares). I've been an Asst Scoutmaster and Scoutmaster and I even volunteered at the district level for a short period of time. Jon is right that Scouting is dying but it's not because of this decision. We had gay leaders, gay scouts and gay staff members. Nobody cared. It has no relevancy on the Scouting program. That's the part that the scouter in me doesn't understand. It feels like such a huge deal has been made of this but the reality is, your sexual orientation is not part of the program and if it actively is, you're doing something wrong. I'm happy for those that don't have to hide it anymore, but I just think this is way overblown as it relates to the effects to the actual Scouting program.

Last edited by heybrad : 07-14-2015 at 06:59 AM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:04 AM   #10
bob
College Starter

Why is scouting going away? "Sign of the times / kids are more interested in video games" kind of thing or something else?

Last edited by bob : 07-14-2015 at 07:04 AM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:09 AM   #11
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Why is scouting going away? "Sign of the times / kids are more interested in video games" kind of thing or something else?
Competing priorities. There's a lot more options to choose from now and to be honest, probably a lot more fun options. All that aside though, Scouting bureaucracy has grown like crazy and the costs at the council level have caused many councils to either completely fold or roll into a larger area. Summer camp attendance (at least the SoCal area where I was) has gone down every year.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote