Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #451
The Jackal
Coordinator

Falcao to Madrid doesn't seem to be done at all, FYI

Can I get greedy and want him on Arsenal?
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #452
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Just went through and tried to figure out what the pots would have been this year with this system and got this:

Pot 1: Real Madrid, Athletico Madrid, Manchester City, Bayern Munchen, Benfica, Juventus, CSKA Moscow, Paris SG
Pot 2: Barcelona, Chelsea, Arsenal, Porto, Schalke, Dortmund, Shakhtar, FC Basel
Pot 3: Zenit, Leverkusen, Olympiakos, Ajaz, Liverpool, Sporting Lisbon, Galatasaray, Athletic Bilbao
Pot 4: Anderlecht, Roma, APOEL, BATE Borisov, Ludogorets Razgrad, NK Maribor, AS Monaco, Malmo FF

Main difference is you see Barcelona, Chelsea, Arsenal, Porto all slide down to Pot 2 where man City, Juventus and Paris SG slide up from pot 2 to pot 1 (and CSKA Moscow jumps from pot 3 up to pot 1).

I don't honestly see that it does a whole lot to change things to be honest.
The benefitting teams would be those that win a top7 league while ranking outside the top20 in the European rankings. They would move up from pot 3 or 4 to 2nd tier (most pot 1 teams will drop to pot 2, making that pot tougher). It changes quite a lot for them.

It happened to Borussia Dortmund as recently as in 2011 and 2012, when they were 1.Bundesliga champions, but ranked in the mid 80's and a 4th pot team. In 2012 it resulted in the famous group with Real Madrid and the champions of England (Manchester City), Netherlands (Ajax) and Germany (Borussia Dortmund). Borussia Dortmund actually won the group and reached the final, while the #1 country champion Manchester City crashed out in 4th place, but it wouldn't surprise me if that group was the inspiration of the changes.

Clubs like Liverpool, AS Roma and AS Monaco will have a similar faith as Borussia Dortmund had in 2011 and 2012, if they somehow win their domestic league this upcoming season. Monaco ranks outside the top100, while Liverpool and Roma are defending a lot of points from the 2009/10 season, while having built very little in the past three seasons.

In contrast, non-European clubs like Manchester United, Valencia and AC Milan will still end up as 2nd seed if they return as non-champions. They built enough points in the past four seasons to make just a small drop in the rankings and still sit in the top20 at the end of the season.

Edit: In reply to SirFozzie, it would actually lower the chances on a group of death, I think, as the situation with R.Madrid, Man.City, Ajax and B.Dortmund would never happen again. It would still be possible to have three of them in the same group, but Man.City and B.Dortmund would be in different groups at all times.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 08-29-2014 at 04:08 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:00 PM   #453
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
I think, as the situation with R.Madrid, Man.City, Ajax and B.Dortmund would never happen again.

I am not so sure of that. All it would take would be for Man City to not win their league and simply finish 2nd, same with Dortmund as runner up to someone.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #454
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

It does seem crazy that Arsenal, a team that has not won its league in a decade, ends up in the first pot. I like the changes
Old 08-30-2014, 06:40 AM   #455
whomario
Pro Starter

Might be interesting for you guys: Bayern loan out Green for the year to fellow Bundesliga team Hamburg (where he´ll play more, though i doubt he´ll be a full time starter there either)

ManU gets Daley Blind, good fit. (especially due to the of the LVG connection, but even aside from that)
Can play as a left wingback as well as in central midfield.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #456
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Man U still need a couple of elite central defenders and Carrick back from injury. It will be interesting to see what LVG does with Blind vs. Shaw on the left wing, especially as United are unlikely to suffer the kind of fixture congestion (no Europe, now no 2nd-tier Cup) that would make rotation OK. Maybe Blind goes into the central midfield 2 (behind the #10).
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #457
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Man U still need a couple of elite central defenders and Carrick back from injury. It will be interesting to see what LVG does with Blind vs. Shaw on the left wing, especially as United are unlikely to suffer the kind of fixture congestion (no Europe, now no 2nd-tier Cup) that would make rotation OK. Maybe Blind goes into the central midfield 2 (behind the #10).

I can also see LVG playing Blind on the left of the 3-man CB combination

EDIT: Di Maria out minutes after receiving injury treatment. Does not look dramatic, but boy would that be a bummer for ManU ... (as is this game btw, they had like 2 decent chances after now 75 minutes)

Bayern looked pretty bad when Van Gaal started there as well btw, then improved gradually after a couple impact signings (chief of them Robben)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 08-30-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:37 AM   #458
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

LVG has overtaken Moyes as my favorite manager.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #459
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I am not so sure of that. All it would take would be for Man City to not win their league and simply finish 2nd, same with Dortmund as runner up to someone.
Hence the benefit, in that particular situation 2 champions of the top3 leagues were drawn into the same group, that situation wouldn't arise anymore.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #460
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I can also see LVG playing Blind on the left of the 3-man CB combination

EDIT: Di Maria out minutes after receiving injury treatment. Does not look dramatic, but boy would that be a bummer for ManU ... (as is this game btw, they had like 2 decent chances after now 75 minutes)

Bayern looked pretty bad when Van Gaal started there as well btw, then improved gradually after a couple impact signings (chief of them Robben)

That team looked horrible. I think they were screwed on 2 penalty shouts, but they are also lucky Burnley just missed a couple of chances and an iffy offside call that could have resulted in disaster.

The passing from the back 3 was beyond bad. I know, new system, great manager, more signings coming in, etc.etc. I'm just making a comment about this game. This team is simply not very good now.

One other thought. . . I really do not think the front three compliment each other very well. Mata, Rooney and RVP all seem to have the same gear. I mean, if you play a high line on them, who can beat you at the back? I just don't like the make up of the team.

David Moyes, no matter if he admits it or not, has to be smiling ear to ear right now.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #461
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sigh...Newcastle ties it up
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #462
TroyF
Coordinator

And Man City go down to Stoke.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #463
miami_fan
Coordinator

This Zaha fella looks like a good player for Crystal Palace. He should move to a bigger club.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:35 AM   #464
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

So Chelsea off pretty quick... 2 in 3 or so minutes. Costa with 3 goals in 3 games.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #465
miami_fan
Coordinator

I guess Howard has earned the right to that call
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #466
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah..

"I guess I'll watch Chelsea-Everton.. hate Chelsea I hope they los..'

(Chelsea scores 34 seconds into the game.)

"Damnit, I hope that's not a trend because I.."

(Chelsea score a second goal in the third minute)

WELP.

(and Tim Howard should've been sent off for catching a ball JUST outside the 18)
Old 08-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #467
miami_fan
Coordinator

Mirallas just made the manager's halftime talk much easier.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #468
Easy Mac

After seeing that Hazard run, i can see why people love Yedlins world cup performance.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #469
Easy Mac

Ok. This is a fun game.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #470
kingfc22
Head Coach

This game is bonkers.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #471
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

World Soccer Talk on Twitter: Here's the Costa goal. #CFC https://t.co/4KqlpzVYS2

Second Costa Goal. Sick. Absolutely sick.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #472
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Falcao to City is starting to heat up. Seems to be driven by Negredo wanting to go back to Spain. Couldnt think of a better replacement, although the recent knee injury is a concern.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 08-30-2014 at 08:44 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:02 AM   #473
whomario
Pro Starter

I hate that he has gone to Bayern, but Xabi Alonso is one impressive footballer. Some people simply have "it" and he is one of them. Without a single practice he starts on a new team and was immediately the boss on the pitch and directing the flow of the game, color me highly impressed.

Long one of my favourite players.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #474
kingfc22
Head Coach

Chelsea add more fire power while we're stuck with Sanogo running around with no idea what the hell is going on. Wish Arsene would play Campbell or Ox over him or better yet loan Sanogo out so he's not even an option so the temptation to play him is gone.

EDIT: 65th minute - just zero pace out there for Arsenal.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 08-31-2014 at 11:26 AM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:07 PM   #475
AlexB
Pro Starter

Good point today for Leicester. Although we conceded 2:1 possession to Arsenal, and they had lots of shots, I thought we created at least as many clear chances.

The worry for the future is that we have missed one really good chance each game now at crucial times (Schlupp against Everton, Nugent against Chelsea, and Ulloa today). We can't afford to keep doing that, but two points from these three matches is decent.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #476
bhlloy
Coordinator

Wenger is insane if he thinks Arsenal can be a top four side without another striker. He needs to be shoveling cash at Falcao right about now
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:37 PM   #477
rowech
Pro Starter

Arsenal is a stale piece of bread.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:12 AM   #478
law90026
College Benchwarmer

That was such a sterile performance.

Sanogo .. clearly not ready yet and it's yet another of Wenger's stubborn attempts to prove he knows better than everyone else.

Not signing a CB, DM or Striker .. see above.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:55 AM   #479
miami_fan
Coordinator

Manchester United agree loan deal for Monaco striker Radamel Falcao - ESPN FC

Pending medical, Falcao to Manchester United, Hernandez to Real Madrid.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:05 AM   #480
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
This Zaha fella looks like a good player for Crystal Palace. He should move to a bigger club.

Quote:
Mirallas just made the manager's halftime talk much easier.

You are so my favorite poster right now.

Quote:
Manchester United agree loan deal for Monaco striker Radamel Falcao - ESPN FC

Pending medical, Falcao to Manchester United, Hernandez to Real Madrid.

So, LVG is going to re-invent Sir Alex's "welp, we'll just score more than you" philosophy from the treble season?

In serious, however, I wonder if he's just going to have to revert to a 4-3-3, based on the signings.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #481
cougarfreak
College Starter

So what channels are going to broadcast the champions league here in a few weeks? I have Directv.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #482
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
So what channels are going to broadcast the champions league here in a few weeks? I have Directv.

It should be Fox Sports 1 as the primary broadcaster. I can't hardly wait to get more of Gus Johnson doing football. It's been a disaster so far. One would have thought that Fox would have learned from the ridiculousness of ESPN's assigning of Dave Revsine to the World Cup and from the excellence of what NBC has done with Arlo White. But they've chosen the ESPN route instead of the NBC route. Doesn't make any sense to me...
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #483
kingfc22
Head Coach

So Chicharito goes from one bench to the next. At least he'll get to watch a better team play now.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #484
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Blind can play at several positions, I think his best position is defensive midfielder on the left side. But if needed, he could play as an attacking left back or even a central defender role.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #485
whomario
Pro Starter

Hernandez is just one more sign of Van Gaal clearing house ...

Seen reports that Danny Welbeck is at Arsenal for the medical check (just an hour after i read that Tottenham were close to signing him, so who knows...).

Guess he wasn´t a Van Gaal compatible player ... Too bad that young english players never consider moving abroad, this way ManU have to strengthen a direct rival.

And now it´s reading as if ManU wants to loan him and Arsenal wants to buy him.

Last edited by whomario : 09-01-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #486
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Watched the Chelsea game late last night and I was a bit torn. I like Chelsea an I am a fan of Howard as well. Definitely didn't take long to find a rooting interest. So far so good for Chelsea except for the fact they gave up goals shortly after scoring.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #487
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
It should be Fox Sports 1 as the primary broadcaster. I can't hardly wait to get more of Gus Johnson doing football. It's been a disaster so far. One would have thought that Fox would have learned from the ridiculousness of ESPN's assigning of Dave Revsine to the World Cup and from the excellence of what NBC has done with Arlo White. But they've chosen the ESPN route instead of the NBC route. Doesn't make any sense to me...

English Language: Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, Fox Soccer +
Spanish Language: Fox Deportes, ESPN Deportes
Online: Fox Sports Go, ESPN 3

(yes, ESPN have got their nose back under the tent, sublicensing games from Fox to ESPN Deportes/ESPN3)
Old 09-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #488
whomario
Pro Starter

Falcao has quite a weird stat to his name for a player of his caliber: He has managed to play a mere 8 CL games in his career so far (in his first Porto season 09/10), a number he won´t increase for another year now.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #489
Grover
Pro Starter

Daley Blind is officially a Manchester United player.

The improvements have come, but they'd probably like to see another defender, right?

Hull break their transfer record for Palermo forward Abel Hernandez. They also nabbed Mo Diame from West Ham, which makes me sad. Mo has one hell of a motor, but became surplus with Alex Song on board. (Alex Song!!) What a coup. Kouyate, Song, Noble could be one of the best midfield trios in the Premier League this year.

Everton and Aston Villa battling it out for Tom Cleverley. Clev has openly said he wants to play for Roberto Martinez. His breakout performance was a loan spell at Wigan under Martinez a couple years back.

ST Sadio Mane and DC Toby Alderweireld are undergoing medicals at Southampton, the latter being a massive signing if it goes through. Another of the Belgian golden generation in the Premier League.

QPR reportedly close to signing Sandro from Spurs. The forgotten man could play a big part for 'Arry in central midfield. Not to mention they've offered £10M to Liverpool for Borini.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #490
Grover
Pro Starter

Now word is Hull are in talks with Newcastle over black sheep Hatem ben Arfa.

Betting on Huntelaar to Arsenal has been slashed to 1/3.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #491
Grover
Pro Starter

Hull also said to be in talks with Southampton for Gaston Ramirez.

Look at ole Stevie Bruce try and acquire a bit of flair and panache.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #492
bhlloy
Coordinator

Danny Welbeck is the very definition of a panic buy. Can't see him fitting into that scheme or replacing Giroud at all. Can't believe there's not a better way to spend 16m
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #493
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Danny Welbeck is the very definition of a panic buy. Can't see him fitting into that scheme or replacing Giroud at all. Can't believe there's not a better way to spend 16m

I actually like Welbeck a lot and think that he's damn good value at that price - especially when you consider he's an English player and the inflation that normally is involved with that side of things.

He's a hard-working player with intelligent movement, he's fairly strong on the ball and his instincts while not fully mature are generally good ... if he stays fit then I think he'll come on fast under Wenger.

PS - I was more surprised that he was pushed out the door myself, Falcao has a lot of pressure on him and I'm personally not wholly convinced that he's going to naturally slot into the Premiership smoothly .. especially into a mis-firing team like Man Utd ..

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 09-01-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #494
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

My quote when I heard was, "we just settled for the ugly chick in the bar."
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #495
The Jackal
Coordinator

I'm surprised about the fee for Welbeck but I'll reserve judgement until I see how he slots in with the team. He's got pace, can pass, and while he doesn't seem to be the most technically gifted finisher, he'll bring the kind of hold up play that Arsenal needs to play their system. Won't be as physical as Giroud presumably, but I keep reading/hearing about his work rate and I like that.

Last edited by The Jackal : 09-01-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #496
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Typical Arsenal transfer window. Team left with glaring omissions in the team.

5 senior defenders (of which Gibbs is injured a lot), 1 recognised teenager (Chambers) and 2 other teenagers ... that's the defence that is supposed to keep the club alive in 4 competitions. I assume we are slowly reverting to a 2-4-4 formation at some stage.

No first choice DM and we are going to rely on 2 over the hill guys (Arteta and Flamini) in a formation that also exposes them since it's now a 4-1-4-1, rather than last season's 4-2-3-1.

Splendid.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #497
The Jackal
Coordinator

Yeah, if Per or Kos are out for any 3 week + period, Arsenal are pretty f'ed.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:42 AM   #498
miami_fan
Coordinator

Of course he did

Arsenal's new signing from Manchester United, Danny Welbeck, injured during England training | Football News | ESPN.co.uk

Quote:
Less than 24 hours after completing a £16 million pound move to Arsenal on transfer deadline day, Danny Welbeck injured his ankle during England training.

Last edited by miami_fan : 09-03-2014 at 04:43 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #499
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

By the sounds of things that is an incredibly minor knock - probably just a bit of bruising ...

(says he who has been taking it really easy the last week because I've got bruising on my lower foot from a mis-timed tackle last sunday )
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #500
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Joe Gyau and Mix looking great in the first half vs. Czech Republic (who I think are playing a nearly full strength team.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote