Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #301
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincePtII
How is it irrelevant? If they don't choke away the game in the quarter, they win the series, period.

Yes, but ...

Quote:
Did other stuff have to happen as well for them to lose the series? Absolutely

This was the only point I was making. I was told I was blaming the entire 3-1 collapse on the one quarter, and I argued I wasn't because of exactly what you said above.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:06 PM   #302
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
This was the only point I was making. I was told I was blaming the entire 3-1 collapse on the one quarter, and I argued I wasn't because of exactly what you said above.

Does the leverage of losing a huge lead late in a home game dwarf the significance of losing a road game to an evenly-matched team? Absolutely.

Is a losing a 3-1 series lead an arbitrary thing to fixate on because it's extremely rare for a road team to take a 3-1 series lead in the first place? Absolutely.

Does Doc Rivers have a better track record if the Rockets just took advantage of having 3 extra days of rest/preparation, homecourt advantage, and Chris Paul out of the lineup to smoke the Clippers in Game 1? I'd say absolutely not, but there seems to be some room for debate where losing a series in 5 or 6 games still allows for the possibility that you have some 'killer instinct' as opposed to getting closer to actually winning the series.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:00 AM   #303
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Yes, but ...

I must have missed where this argument started then, because I didn't realize that.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #304
miami_fan
Coordinator

James Harden reminds me of why I stopped playing ball at the local gym.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:08 PM   #305
JPhillips
General Manager

I have no doubt they'll fuck things up, but Rubio/Lavine/Wiggins/?/Towns is a heck of a start.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:26 PM   #306
kingfc22
Head Coach

Dwight Howard "injured" in a key playoff game for his team. Damn if the guy isn't the softest player in NBA history.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:47 PM   #307
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Dwight Howard "injured" in a key playoff game for his team. Damn if the guy isn't the softest player in NBA history.

He's a joke. Def has been one of the worst players to watch over the entirety of his career.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:51 PM   #308
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I love watching the Warriors play.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #309
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

D12 is awful in so many ways.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #310
digamma
Torchbearer

Not a big Howard fan, but the guy is coming off going 20-15, 20-21 and 16-15 in three successive games. He's been a force in the playoffs.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #311
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Not a big Howard fan, but the guy is coming off going 20-15, 20-21 and 16-15 in three successive games. He's been a force in the playoffs.

Yeah, he had so much heart and mental toughness a few days ago but it completely disappeared.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #312
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Pt II
I must have missed where this argument started then, because I didn't realize that.

No problem, misunderstanding happen easily on teh intrnetz.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-20-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #313
whomario
Pro Starter

I missed the game, so: what makes everybody so sure he is not injured ? Having been bullied into an ill advised attempt to “tough it out“ i tend to be really careful with such asumptions... and i am Not exactly a fan of howard (his refusal to be a pnr player alone is the most arrogance and stupidity i have Seen a player get away with. Thats like curry deciding not to shoot 3s ...)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-20-2015 at 12:59 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #314
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I missed the game, so: what makes everybody so sure he is not injured ?

Dwight Howard does not have the spirit of a champion and is a generally obnoxious guy, so he fakes injuries all the time. You almost have to admire the long con Howard's playing - get a fake knee surgery 3 months ago, recover from it in time for the playoffs, and play well enough to help lead your team to the conference finals only to fake another injury to that same knee just so you don't have to play.

Last edited by nol : 05-20-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #315
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

Yes, and before that, he fouled his way into oblivion and was eventually ejected. And he should have been ejected in one of those last three games.

As I said before, he is a petulant overgrown child. Hell of a basketball player, but a terrible human.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #316
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
As I said before, he is a petulant overgrown child. Hell of a basketball player, but a terrible human.

That is one hell of a statement.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:15 PM   #317
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought that gag order he had on that dancer trash chick where she couldn't say he was her baby daddy spoke a lot about Dwight's character.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:34 PM   #318
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
That is one hell of a statement.

There is a lot to back it up. From his actions and outbursts on the court to how he handled the Laker thing to the situation with Stan Van Gundy in Orlando to the baby daddy thing, and that's just stuff off of the top of my head. He's awful.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:46 PM   #319
nol
Banned

Could not be a worse game 1 for the Hawks. Down 15+ in the 4th quarter and it appears DeMarre Carroll has suffered a pretty severe knee injury.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:53 AM   #320
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I've got to say that I was extremely impressed with James Harden after game one of the Western Conference Finals. Despite the local narrative that 'all he does is shoot free throws' (which isn't/wasn't all-inclusive, but did get a lot of play during the MVP debate), Harden was absolutely brilliant in the second half. Those step-back jumpers he hit down the stretch were beautiful, and guarded almost perfectly by Klay Thompson...but he kept hitting them anyway.

The team as a whole was impressive as well. What seemed peripherally like James Harden and 11 other dudes is not at all the case. Ariza is underrated as all hell, Capela looked fantastic for stretches and the Rockets' defense as a whole was way better than I expected. Their composure to stay in the game after the ridiculous Warriors blitz to close out the second quarter was commendable, and their doggedness at the end after the 9-0 run late in the fourth was great.

I think game one was a win for both teams; Golden State re-adjusted to a fast paced game (they hadn't played one since the regular season ended over a month ago, and just finished 6 games of grind-it-out style play with Memphis), overcame early struggles, and closed out a strong team that didn't want to go away. Houston proved that they do belong on the court with this team, can take a shot in the mouth and get back to it, and almost stole home court in the first game of the series. Sure, Houston probably really wishes they had won this game, but now they know they can hang, and they only need to win one road game.

The only reason I'd worry if I were a Houston fan is that Harden was other-worldly in the second half, Ariza played seemingly above his capabilities and Capela did as well...and it still wasn't enough. Combine that with Bogut playing possibly his worst game of the year, Klay Thompson providing very little on the offensive end and Shaun Livingston being the only Warrior who really outperformed expectations...and it seems like this might be the best you can hope for in terms of individual performances. Do the Rockets have four more of these kind of games - scratch that, better than this kind of game - in them?

Despite the fact that it's usually the odd numbered games that are the big ones in the series, I think game two becomes huge for both teams. If Houston can pull off the upset, they've got momentum AND home court as they head for two games at home. If the Warriors hold serve, all it takes is one road win and Houston is pretty much done.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 05-21-2015 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:23 AM   #321
Alf
Pro Starter

I'm afraid for Golden State if the game goes into run and shoot mode. I feel Houston will win out these kind of games more often than the Warriors.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:28 AM   #322
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
I'm afraid for Golden State if the game goes into run and shoot mode. I feel Houston will win out these kind of games more often than the Warriors.

Defensive improvements and an actual offensive System notwithstanding: Curry and Thompson are still the best backcourt Duo in these sort of games i think and the warriors are imo still best when they get running.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 05-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #323
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Completely agree with whomario on this one. The Warriors are a much more efficient shooting team, and in a fast paced, run-and-gun game they'll dismantle the Rockets.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #324
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd much rather play(and probably lose to) the Warriors than the Rockets.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #325
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post

Yeah, the Warriors are very much a run and gun team. That pace favors them, not the Rockets. When the Clips were blowing the Rockets out at home earlier in that series, they were doing it by upping the pace.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #326
Alf
Pro Starter

Since you all agree, I am waiting for game 2 with "impatience" on the run and gun thing. I stand by my words that it would be better for Rockets than for the Warriors.

It also is better from a viewer audience although I do appreciate a more classic/brute basketball ala "Grizzlies/Bulls".

Last edited by Alf : 05-21-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #327
stevew
Hall Of Famer

"Classic NBA" is run and gun, not brute ball.

(Just from the standpoint of comparing scoring from the 70s to today)

Last edited by stevew : 05-21-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:35 PM   #328
kingfc22
Head Coach

Might want to guard Curry.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #329
kingfc22
Head Coach

Harden hitting some tough shots again tonight.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:42 AM   #330
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I take back anything I've ever said about Harden. Dude is amazing.

Series has been fantastic so far. Houston's D is much better than I anticipated, and while the Warriors have had their share of stupid turnovers, you have to attribute some of that to the quality of Houston's D. Both teams feel like they haven't played their best ball, and I think that just goes to show what a high level they're playing at.

If Klay Thompson can get loose - a tall order considering he's guarding Harden and is being guarded by Ariza - the Warriors may be able to open some breathing space and keep it. As is, the Rockets are fighting back from every single run the Warriors make. Can't wait for game three.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:14 AM   #331
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How in the shit doesn't Houston call a timeout
Old 05-22-2015, 03:31 AM   #332
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How in the shit doesn't Houston call a timeout

I can only imagine what the reaction would have been if Kevin McHale called a timeout in the middle of a 4 on 3 fast break to draw up a play for a James Harden isolation step-back jumper.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:01 AM   #333
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, I think 9 out of 10 coaches let that play unfold. Not sure you want the best defense in the NBA to have time to set up. The real problem was dishing it to Howard at the top of the key with under 3 seconds left.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:47 AM   #334
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Yeah, I think 9 out of 10 coaches let that play unfold. Not sure you want the best defense in the NBA to have time to set up. The real problem was dishing it to Howard at the top of the key with under 3 seconds left.

And Howard giving it back to the guy with two defenders on him.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:57 AM   #335
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Absolutely let it play out when Harden has the ball attacking a scrambling D, but you can call a timeout when GS stops the break and Harden dishes to an obviously unprepared player at the 3 point line. Would've given them a side out with 2.5 seconds or so.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:21 AM   #336
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Absolutely let it play out when Harden has the ball attacking a scrambling D, but you can call a timeout when GS stops the break and Harden dishes to an obviously unprepared player at the 3 point line. Would've given them a side out with 2.5 seconds or so.
That's kind of along the lines of "foul a player before the shot with a 3-point lead and 5 sec left, but don't foul him in the act of shooting". It's a lot easier to look at it postmortem than in the heat of battle. In theory that is correct, but that would have been hard for a player to recognize and execute in the moment. Either you call timeout on the rebound, or you live with the chaos (good or bad).

Last edited by Arles : 05-22-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #337
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
That's kind of along the lines of "foul a player before the shot with a 3-point lead and 5 sec left, but don't foul him in the act of shooting". It's a lot easier to look at it postmortem than in the heat of battle. In theory that is correct, but that would have been hard for a player to recognize and execute in the moment. Either you call timeout on the rebound, or you live with the chaos (good or bad).

And the referee's going to be more focused on getting the call on the floor right than seeing if a timeout's being called (see: David Blatt), so there'd definitely be less than 2 seconds left by the time it's actually signaled.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #338
nol
Banned

This could be the haymaker from LeBron tonight. Incredibly dominant despite his inability to hit from the perimeter this postseason.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #339
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd rather set something up on the sidelines with 7 seconds left and have an actual play to run if I was Houston. That being said, Harden doing his flail thing for some game winning free throws is probably a defensible play by Hou(Not calling a timeout)

Also Hawks need to wake up.

Last edited by stevew : 05-22-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:01 PM   #340
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Amazing to think the Cavs were 19-20 at one point and now 44-11 since.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:07 PM   #341
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Amazing to think the Cavs were 19-20 at one point and now 44-11 since.

The wonder of making trades to fix the issue of 4 of your 5 good players playing the same position. And obviously the world's best player getting healthy helps too.

Last edited by nol : 05-22-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #342
nol
Banned

This is as good a time as any to mention that if the Warriors and Cavs sweep, there will be over a week with no games.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:03 PM   #343
kingfc22
Head Coach

That old saying about if team A and team B played 100 times they'd each win x. Well I don't think Houston would get past 5 wins vs the Warriors in that scenario.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #344
kingfc22
Head Coach

Unlike games 1 & 2, GSW brought their A game tonight.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #345
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
That old saying about if team A and team B played 100 times they'd each win x. Well I don't think Houston would get past 5 wins vs the Warriors in that scenario.

OK, they were close both games at Golden State. A 15 seed will beat a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament more than 5 times out of 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
No doubt hurt trying to screen the powerhouse upper body of Stephon Curry.

Yeah, about that.

Last edited by nol : 05-23-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #346
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, I think that might be a little overboard

It's going to be important for the Warriors to keep their foot on the gas and not let Houston back into this game. The Houston crowd is already showing signs of wanting to get back into this game. Keep them down and end it.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:16 AM   #347
whomario
Pro Starter

Steph curry already breaks the record for most 3s in a postseason with now 64 makes in 13 games Illustrates how much of an outlier it is to have a 3 point wizz as your best player. (Reggie miller had 58 in 22 games)
Old 05-24-2015, 10:33 PM   #348
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Insane performance by James.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:35 PM   #349
stevew
Hall Of Famer

(We're still getting swept by GSW)
Old 05-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #350