Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #3051
PilotMan
Head Coach

That girl's got no class at all. Silva get's a lot of heat for things he does but in the end he is everything she isn't.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #3052
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
The fuck is that...she's got her in like a leg-choke. Nifty.

Inverted triangle.

Like Steam?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #3053
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Inverted triangle.

Makes sense. Don't see that often I suppose.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #3054
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
That girl's got no class at all. Silva get's a lot of heat for things he does but in the end he is everything she isn't.

Missed the finish - my computer crashed. Armbar and gratuitous celebration I assume?
Old 12-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #3055
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Missed the finish - my computer crashed. Armbar and gratuitous celebration I assume?

Armbar walked away when Meisha tried to shake her hand.

Like Steam?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #3056
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

What a fight.
Worth the cost of the show alone on that Tate v Rousey fight.

Love me some Rowdy.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #3057
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'd say Silva at 2-3 isn't favored enough in this fight. Especially when you consider how much he was favored in the first fight.

Weidman is a good fighter and all, but I really think that the last fight was more of an "Any Given Sunday" type of win.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-28-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #3058
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Time for Spiderman
Old 12-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #3061
PilotMan
Head Coach

ugly

Like Steam?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #3062
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Whoa...he busted his leg on that kick. Nuts.

Shame to see it end that way, without any like...resolution.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-28-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #3064
PilotMan
Head Coach

And that might be the end.

Like Steam?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #3065
PilotMan
Head Coach

Just gruesome. I've only seen that 1 other time.

Like Steam?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #3066
PilotMan
Head Coach

adios guys, early call coming.

Like Steam?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #3067
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #3068
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow

Still a few ows short.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #3069
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Damn...what a crazy end to Spider...no way he comes back at his age from that.

And the thing is it looked like Weidman was in control anyway,at least much more than I expected.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #3070
RainMaker
General Manager

My legs are tingling after seeing that. Just brutal.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #3071
Brownkeg8
Mascot

the video

UFC 168 Anderson Silva Breaks Leg vs Chris Weidman! nftvs - Video
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:44 AM   #3072
BYU 14
Coordinator

Solid, card, Silva was definitely focused, but Weidman really handled him in the first round. Sad for it to end the way it did, don't see Silva coming back from that. Weidman / Belfour should be very good as long as it lasts.

The Rousey/Tate fight was very good, Tate showed some good defense, but you have to question her trying to win a battle of takedowns with someone as strong and technically gifted as Rousey. I am just over Rousey's antics though, she is totally classless and I wish there was a way to put together a catchweight fight with Cyborg, who I would love to see destroy her. No questioning Rousey's skill, but what a bitch.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:55 AM   #3073
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I am just over Rousey's antics though, she is totally classless and I wish there was a way to put together a catchweight fight with Cyborg, who I would love to see destroy her. No questioning Rousey's skill, but what a bitch.

+111111111111111111111111111111
Old 12-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #3074
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Cuz Cyborg is less classless??

I think you guys are forgetting that in your rush to hate on Ronda.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-29-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #3075
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cuz Cyborg is less classless??

I think you guys are forgetting that in your rush to hate on Ronda.

Not forgotten, she is just the best bet to humble her and is not as over the top as Rousey, who takes it to a new level.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #3076
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Rousey/Tate fight was outstanding. All action. Rousey was just killing her with those hip tosses every time they'd get engaged. I've never seen her fight before but I can see why she's the champ.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #3077
Flasch186
Coordinator

Test

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #3078
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Oh, SNAP!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #3079
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Talk about classless - how about Wideman jumping around with his arms raised like he actually did something (aside from block a kick) as Silva lays there writhing in pain with an obviouly broken leg.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #3080
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Talk about classless - how about Wideman jumping around with his arms raised like he actually did something (aside from block a kick) as Silva lays there writhing in pain with an obviouly broken leg.

My thought exactly at that time. At least he soon dialed it back but I didn't get the celebration at all.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #3081
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I've read this a few places, and I kinda get what you are saying, but...

A knee/shin check IS the counter to leg kicks, and Weidman did check the kick at the perfect time. In the end, it was Spider's force that broke his leg, but it was Weidman's technique.

As for Rousey...we just disagree. I like her edge. Tate took a shot at her mom and her twitter antics, said she was going to knock Rousey out and pose over her with her belt when she came to, and then wanted to shake her hand when she lost. Rousey refused the help up and walked back to her corner...I thought it was the perfect counter to Tate.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #3082
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I've read this a few places, and I kinda get what you are saying, but...

A knee/shin check IS the counter to leg kicks, and Weidman did check the kick at the perfect time. In the end, it was Spider's force that broke his leg, but it was Weidman's technique.

As for Rousey...we just disagree. I like her edge. Tate took a shot at her mom and her twitter antics, said she was going to knock Rousey out and pose over her with her belt when she came to, and then wanted to shake her hand when she lost. Rousey refused the help up and walked back to her corner...I thought it was the perfect counter to Tate.

That's true re: Weidman's technique, but still.

No no - I like Rousey too! I was responding to others who earlier called her classless and saying that what she did after the fight was IMO less classless than Weidman (although to be honest I didn't watch to see him dial back his celebration so I don't know how long that took).

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-29-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #3083
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
You're a fucking retard. You obviously don't know what skill is required to check a leg kick. The timing and placement of the check to break his leg was either fortuitous or skill; maybe a combination of both. You won't see this post because you have me on ignore, but fuck you and your dumbass knowledge.

On the Rousey thing, at least she's true to herself and not fake like Tate. If you think that's classless, that's up to you. I view it in a different way. Could she have been a better sport? Sure. I've been in a ring before and there's a fine line between sportsmanship and competitiveness. Immediately after the fight I think it would be fake to subdue the emotions you have. Cut the girl a break.

Overall, it was well worth the money for the PPV and lived up to the hype. There were great finishes and really good matches. What some people forget is that Weidman is undefeated. He won round 1 of the rematch and would have won the match. There is a new era dawning.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #3084
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
You're a fucking retard. You obviously don't know what skill is required to check a leg kick. The timing and placement of the check to break his leg was either fortuitous or skill; maybe a combination of both. You won't see this post because you have me on ignore, but fuck you and your dumbass knowledge.

On the Rousey thing, at least she's true to herself and not fake like Tate. If you think that's classless, that's up to you. I view it in a different way. Could she have been a better sport? Sure. I've been in a ring before and there's a fine line between sportsmanship and competitiveness. Immediately after the fight I think it would be fake to subdue the emotions you have. Cut the girl a break.

Overall, it was well worth the money for the PPV and lived up to the hype. There were great finishes and really good matches. What some people forget is that Weidman is undefeated. He won round 1 of the rematch and would have won the match. There is a new era dawning.

I forgot why I had you on ignore, but thanks for reminding me right away.

That's a completely uncalled-for personal attack - what did I ever say in my post to personally offend you and draw that level of response?? Is your last name Weidman?? I'm not going to stoop to your level in response, but frankly ,you give credence to the popular view of Raider's fans as classless assholes.

Now I remember why you're on ignore - you'll stay there and I can go back to not reading your posts. Unlike some other people, who I have on ignore, but actually read their posts (even JIMGA and CU Tiger), clearly you have real issues and don't offer anything substantive.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-29-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #3085
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post

Seriously?

Yes, he checked the kick. But it was a freak accident that broke Silva's leg, a lightning strike event. Jumping around afterwards is rather classless. Though based on your attack of DT it seems that concept is completely lost on you.

As for Rousey, she is a talented fighter but her act is tiring, maybe she needs to join the WWE if she wants to act like that. She acts like some gang bangers ho that needs to try to keep her street cred. Which is sad because she has moments where she can be a good person (like the father's day stuff she did in the house for the fathers). She has a serious chip on her shoulder that she carries with her almost all the time, that is not healthy. Even more puzzling for someone that is at the top of her field, it's not like she is someone that isn't getting a chance and has that chip on her shoulder. It's a real shame too because she has some extremely impressive judo skills that she shows in the octagon but instead of wanting to see her succeed because of it many people want to see her fail because of how she presents herself.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #3086
BYU 14
Coordinator

I will stick to my feelings about Rousey, a core piece part of martial arts is respect and she rarely shows any. I have no problem with her being herself, but what she has isn't edge, it is just plain intentional nastiness as a person. Her choice and some will like it, but I think the reaction she got shows many more don't. And you really think people talking shit about other fighters, their lives and family is new? Rousey has done far more and far worse than Tate. Like if you want to, I don't.

I will give Weidman some slack on the celebration, when Silva went down it is an emotional action to celebrate, he dialed it back pretty quickly and was over checking on Silva when the severity hit him. Heat of the moment thing.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #3087
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I will give Weidman some slack on the celebration, when Silva went down it is an emotional action to celebrate, he dialed it back pretty quickly and was over checking on Silva when the severity hit him. Heat of the moment thing.

I would give a little more slack if it was an immediate reaction to a knockout, where the fighter actually did something that would and should cause the end result. There should be some part of the brain that says "WTF just happened there?" at that moment.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #3088
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Suppposedly, Silva has had a rod inserted in his leg, and is only supposed to be out 3-6 months.

UFC statement: Surgery on Anderson Silva's broken leg a success; estimated recovery time 3-to-6 months - MMAmania.com

Maybe he'll be WALKING without crutches in 3-6 months.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #3089
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It seems worth noting that Rousey managed to absolutely incense a crowd that had largely come to see Anderson Silva, on the night his leg popped off. Love her or hate her, she could end up being the driving face of the UFC in the Fox era, especially when you consider that the two of the best fighters and biggest faces in the history of the promotion may have just taken immediate, surprise trips into the history book.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 12-29-2013 at 01:18 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #3090
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

We forget that these people are willing to get into the ring against someone who can actually kill them with one well-placed strike. A huge part of their training is defense. And a huge part of what they do is mentally prepare themselves to face that challenge. It's not something most of us could do. They're not immune to fear - they just channel that into a state of preparedness I can't even imagine. There are movies made about soldiers who react with heroism in the heat of the battle.

But they do it two or three times a year. Thousands of hours of training for maybe 15 minutes in the octagon. When it's over, and you've survived - even won - there's a flood of emotion. It's a little like skydiving, only you know you're going to take a few injuries when you hit the ground. I would judge Weidman on his concern a moment later more than I'd judge his instant "yeah, I did it" reaction.

Rousey? I don't know. She seems to see herself as some sort of cartoon WWE villain creation. She is incredibly good and well trained, but women's MMA is still in its infancy. And like most women's sports at first, the talent curve is steeper because very few elite women athletes are going into MMA. She has it far too easy and hasn't learned respect for fellow competitors.

Maybe we saw that a bit with Silva during his streak, but Rousey is on a different level - she's never had to accept that she's facing that kind of danger so she's never developed the camaraderie that we see with the elite men. She didn't respect Tate because it wasn't bravado with her - it's purely confidence that she will win. She doesn't think Tate belongs in the same ring, and, like any alpha, she demands not only respect from opponents, but deference. Tate was respectful, but not deferential. Rousey sees that as an insult - an unwarranted challenge to her established dominance.

When Rousey talks about taking on the men at her weight, I think she's craving real challenge. She genuinely has no idea what would be in store for her. I remember the Williams sisters talking about beating elite men in tennis and experiencing that same (but much safer) moment of realization.

So I think Rousey is good for the sport because her skills and training are legit. Hopefully real competition will come and the sport will mature.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #3091
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
We forget that these people are willing to get into the ring against someone who can actually kill them with one well-placed strike. A huge part of their training is defense. And a huge part of what they do is mentally prepare themselves to face that challenge. It's not something most of us could do. They're not immune to fear - they just channel that into a state of preparedness I can't even imagine. There are movies made about soldiers who react with heroism in the heat of the battle.

But they do it two or three times a year. Thousands of hours of training for maybe 15 minutes in the octagon. When it's over, and you've survived - even won - there's a flood of emotion. It's a little like skydiving, only you know you're going to take a few injuries when you hit the ground. I would judge Weidman on his concern a moment later more than I'd judge his instant "yeah, I did it" reaction.

Rousey? I don't know. She seems to see herself as some sort of cartoon WWE villain creation. She is incredibly good and well trained, but women's MMA is still in its infancy. And like most women's sports at first, the talent curve is steeper because very few elite women athletes are going into MMA. She has it far too easy and hasn't learned respect for fellow competitors.

Maybe we saw that a bit with Silva during his streak, but Rousey is on a different level - she's never had to accept that she's facing that kind of danger so she's never developed the camaraderie that we see with the elite men. She didn't respect Tate because it wasn't bravado with her - it's purely confidence that she will win. She doesn't think Tate belongs in the same ring, and, like any alpha, she demands not only respect from opponents, but deference. Tate was respectful, but not deferential. Rousey sees that as an insult - an unwarranted challenge to her established dominance.

When Rousey talks about taking on the men at her weight, I think she's craving real challenge. She genuinely has no idea what would be in store for her. I remember the Williams sisters talking about beating elite men in tennis and experiencing that same (but much safer) moment of realization.

So I think Rousey is good for the sport because her skills and training are legit. Hopefully real competition will come and the sport will mature.

Exceptionally well stated, and right on target with Rousey.

Like Steam?

Old 12-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #3092
Dutch
"Dutch"

Is the hate I'm sensing towards Rousey stemming from TUF? I don't watch that show, so I'm clueless on this one.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #3093
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Is the hate I'm sensing towards Rousey stemming from TUF? I don't watch that show, so I'm clueless on this one.

Actually if anyone saw the show you would see why she hates Tate. Tate and her boyfriend did everything they could do to poke at her and there was a back story as well with the boyfriend saying something on twitter. Took it that although an apology was issued it was the kind of statement you don't forget. Rousey is very protective of her family, managers, friends.
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #3094
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I would give a little more slack if it was an immediate reaction to a knockout, where the fighter actually did something that would and should cause the end result. There should be some part of the brain that says "WTF just happened there?" at that moment.

You're always going to celebrate defending your title. It's not like he stood over him gloating. I think anyone is reaching big-time if they're trying to kill Weidman over his initial reaction.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #3095
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Rousey's mom has taken to twitter in the past several times when she felt her daughter was portrayed badly. Tate made some comments about beating Rowdy's azz and having a corner man to "keep her mom out of the cage so the old lady didnt get killed"....not sure where that comment came from as I havent seen it personally. But it was all the talk on several MMA boards leading up to the fight.

Tate to me is very fake, and tries to put on a TV image while being a pretty trashy person herself underneath. Rousey is just as raw, but makes no bones about it and doesn't try to hide it. She relishes the villain role the same way Ali did early in his career.

Dont get me wrong, I feel like Rousey would probably be a PITA to hang out with, and befriending her would require kissing the ring regularly...but as a fighter I like to see her win.

The talk of her being a "one trick pony"...I think she dispelled that pretty well last night, but even still if she has only 1 trick; its a better trick than anyone else in the game has.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #3096
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownkeg8 View Post
Actually if anyone saw the show you would see why she hates Tate. Tate and her boyfriend did everything they could do to poke at her and there was a back story as well with the boyfriend saying something on twitter. Took it that although an apology was issued it was the kind of statement you don't forget. Rousey is very protective of her family, managers, friends.

I didn't see any of the show, but you do realize that this goes back much, much farther than the show right? Who isn't protective of those things? That doesn't set her apart from anyone else.

Actually she reminds me of Lesnar right now. It's just that I liked him, being from my neck of the woods. You knew that his attitude was a show, a sale, a pitch to make the money, ala Sonnen. With Rousey she really wants you to think that she is this way and lives this life but the whole thing just comes off as overdone.

Like Steam?

Old 12-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #3097
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
The talk of her being a "one trick pony"...I think she dispelled that pretty well last night, but even still if she has only 1 trick; its a better trick than anyone else in the game has.

Damn right, her BJJ looked slick last night. You knew that it wouldn't take long to grasp some of the techniques, but she was dangerous everywhere. Her striking still isn't very fearful, and I think she is prone to getting her bell rung but all in all, she is 5x the fighter now than when she fought Tate the first time.

You are spot on with Tate too. She had the smile last night because I think she thought that was her spot to get inside Rouseys head. It may have worked, but she just isn't good enough to hang with her for that long.

Zigano is huge, hits hard, and has tough grappling. She could provide a tough fight for Rousey, and they are supposedly saying that McCann will be the toughest challenge (when don't they say that?) yet for her. Although I can't imagine that even super high level wrestling skills are going to be much of a match for Rousey.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-29-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #3098
Suicane75
Coordinator

I don't have a problem with what Rousey did. She gave her some good words but obviously doesn't like her, and as such did not want to shake her hand. No big deal to me.

Weidman actually stuck in my craw more. I have no idea what sort of adrenaline must be running through you in a fight but it was clear Silva had seriously injured himself and I thought the celebration was, if not intentionaly disrespectful, a bit bizarre.

The thing I took away from it more was that Rousey is pretty much a license to print money at the moment. Her next fight(s) are gonna be huge.

Weidman on the other hand just comes across as a lumbering, unaware doofus who we still haven't seen win a convincing title fight, and I think he's gonna be a very hard sell to the general public going forward.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #3099
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Weidman on the other hand just comes across as a lumbering, unaware doofus who we still haven't seen win a convincing title fight, and I think he's gonna be a very hard sell to the general public going forward.

Ouch. That's harsh, but certainly not untrue. Weidman is kind of the UFC's version of 'preaching to the choir' in that I think he's obviously talented and super strong, but as a big, white, American wrestler, with a kinda bland personality, the folks to whom he most appeals have probably already been watching the UFC for years.

As much as I can't really dispute the unaware tag, maybe that actually works to his advantage. He seems to be pretty mentally strong, as far as the fight game goes, in terms of confidence and self-awareness.

This new version of Belfort makes for a pretty decent match-up with Weidman. It wouldn't surprise me if that actually ended up as some kind of chess-match on the ground, but I'd love to see those two just let their hands go for a couple minutes. Concussions for everybody!

I also want to give it up for Travis Browne who I've been trying to shrug and wave off for a while now. He just blew up Barnett.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #3100
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, either this is a prelude to Rhonda Rousey putting an armbar on this chauvinist, breaking his arm, and everyone laughs (which I'd prefer), or there's a UFC fighter whose about to get berated by Dana White..

UFC’s Matt Brown: Women in MMA Should Fight*Topless | Extra Mustard - SI.com