Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-28-2024, 03:55 PM   #26651
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
I just got a promotion this morning that I absolutely was not expecting. I've worked in IT for the same company the last 14 years (first big boy job) and have had to move around to move up the ladder. This is actually the first promotion I've gotten where my job responsibilities won't really change. I'm ecstatic!

Congrats!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 04:02 PM   #26652
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
I just got a promotion this morning that I absolutely was not expecting. I've worked in IT for the same company the last 14 years (first big boy job) and have had to move around to move up the ladder. This is actually the first promotion I've gotten where my job responsibilities won't really change. I'm ecstatic!

are you hiring?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:01 AM   #26653
Edward64
Head Coach

It does seem the "squatting" problem is increasing and there was no easy way for the lawful home owner to resolve the issue (in a timely manner).

From what I understand, the squatting "laws" was to prevent home owners from unfairly kicking out tenants but that may have swung too far in the other direction now.

I've read the problem is police won't know if a tenant/lease agreement is valid or a forgery. But this is headed in the right direction.

https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/g...am-in-florida/
Quote:
Under the new law, a property owner can request law enforcement to immediately remove a squatter from their property if the following conditions are met:

• The individual has unlawfully entered and remains on the property
• The individual has been directed to leave the property by the owner but has not done so; and
• The individual is not a current or former tenant in a legal dispute..
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 04:06 PM   #26654
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Property owner stunned after $500,000 house built on wrong lot: ‘Are you kidding me?’

They should have just built a tiny house on the property then sued the owner.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:42 PM   #26655
molson
General Manager

I wonder if there's a lot of "serene" 1-acre parcels of land in Hawaii that can be had for $22k
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:57 PM   #26656
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'm thinking my dad had a parcel like that when he lived in HI, separate from his house where he lived. Of course it may or may not be under lava now. (Same goes for the house.)
Old 03-29-2024, 10:16 PM   #26657
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
It does seem the "squatting" problem is increasing and there was no easy way for the lawful home owner to resolve the issue (in a timely manner).

From what I understand, the squatting "laws" was to prevent home owners from unfairly kicking out tenants but that may have swung too far in the other direction now.

I've read the problem is police won't know if a tenant/lease agreement is valid or a forgery. But this is headed in the right direction.

https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/g...am-in-florida/

Georgia homeowner, Charles Allman, arrested after fraudster claimed ownership of house

Yes I know. They can hash all this out in court. Let’s just be aware there are sad stories on both sides.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-30-2024, 07:12 AM   #26658
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Yes I know. They can hash all this out in court. Let’s just be aware there are sad stories on both sides.

My default is "both sides" so I absolutely agree.

Nowadays, you only hear about illegal squatters. Hard to know how really big the problem is. I'd like to know the current incident counts of

1) Squatting illegally
2) Landlords kicking out legal tenants

FWIW, this article has some data points

[url="https://popular.info/p/inside-the-squatting-hysteria"]
Quote:
Inside Edition, an infotainment show that appeals to a general audience, declared that there has "been an explosion of squatting cases." The program cited a study by the National Rental Home Council (NRHC) which found "that an estimated 1,200 homes had been taken over by squatters in Atlanta." NRHC's CEO, David Howard, said that the number of homes occupied by squatters in Atlanta "far surpasses other markets." Critically, the NRHC survey was the first one it ever conducted, "so no historical numbers are available to indicate whether the figure represents an increase or decrease."

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-30-2024 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-30-2024, 12:14 PM   #26659
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

So, absent actual data, good chance it's manufactured outrage. Again.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:20 PM   #26660
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Me and my family just spent Spring Break on Tennessee. We went to Dollywood on Thursday and it was only then that I learned that Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You” song from the Bodyguard movie is actually a cover of a Dolly Parton song. I had no idea of this fact. I always thought it was an original Whitney Houston song.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:38 PM   #26661
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Me and my family just spent Spring Break on Tennessee. We went to Dollywood on Thursday and it was only then that I learned that Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You” song from the Bodyguard movie is actually a cover of a Dolly Parton song. I had no idea of this fact. I always thought it was an original Whitney Houston song.

She re-recorded it in the early 80s for The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas soundtrack.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:46 PM   #26662
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

You may not have noticed but I'm not particularly bashful about mentioning things like bad days or routine annoyances and the like.

So, fair being fair and all, it seems only right that I give equal time to better ones when they occur.

Between a couple of outings today, I spent some incredible time with about 190 years worth of friends. Counting from start to today, which seems fair since despite any interruptions or pauses these are the kind of friendships that have the ability to just pick up from where they left off.

I did that math several times, cause the figure is pretty mindboggling to me. That's a lotta years ... so the notion of having people who can deal with me for that long is just almost beyond my comprehension.

Today was, rare as they seem and unbelievable as it might be to hear, an honest to goodness good day. No qualifiers needed.

If I'm gonna bitch about the bad ones (and let's face it, I am) then I feel downright obligated to acknowledge the good ones.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:23 PM   #26663
Kodos
Resident Alien

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 07:19 AM   #26664
Edward64
Head Coach

There's this bird that's been pecking on my front door kick plate. Been doing it for days. Apparently, this happens when they see their reflection. I swear it's like the same darn bird ... every day. You'd think it would have a headache or broken beak by now.

So yeah, I want to kill it.
Old 04-01-2024, 07:41 AM   #26665
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Got a chicken biscuit this AM but they accidently pulled is a spicy. This gas station does not mess around. I noticed something was off about halfway through and about 2/3 of the way my mouth was on fire.

Meanwhile I tossed a little chunk to the dog before I noticed. He licked it and had a weird look but then devoured it. Poor guy proceeded to drink the entirety of his water bowl.
Old 04-01-2024, 10:35 AM   #26666
miami_fan
Coordinator

Have we just made April Fools Day the norm? This is now happening every single day. I can't wait for the arguments in 10-15 years that the Chiefs did not actually win the Super Bowl this year.

Old 04-02-2024, 07:28 AM   #26667
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So I guess we've now reached the point where people have lived with streaming services for so long they don't know how to legally acquire MP3s without going to sketchy sites to download them. I have a running watch that supports MP3s and someone is asking for kind souls to share MP3s with them because they don't understand how people acquire them safely and responsibly.

This is like the 2024 version of people who can't read cursive, or something.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 07:56 AM   #26668
cuervo72
Head Coach

Heh. Just the other day I googled if it was still possible to get an mp3 from a CD to an iPhone. (And I'm still not sure exactly what the answer is.)
Old 04-02-2024, 08:15 AM   #26669
Ksyrup

That's one of the reasons I hate iPhones. I tried to share MP3s with my mom and she literally couldn't figure out how to take them from Google Drive to place into whatever music app iPhone requires you to use. I thought it was just an old person issue, but she asked at an Apple store and they couldn't figure it out either. Ridiculous.

I will never give up the ability to just plug into my computer and drag and drop whatever kinds of files into whatever folders I want.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-02-2024 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-03-2024, 02:39 PM   #26670
Atocep
Coordinator

Does anyone else here in IT use service now for their ticketing system and if so do you hate it as much as I do?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:40 PM   #26671
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Does anyone else here in IT use service now for their ticketing system and if so do you hate it as much as I do?

I am not in IT, but use Service Now for my tickets, it is an absolute clusterfuck.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:09 PM   #26672
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

It's definitely not the best. In my current position I don't have to interact with it as much as I did in the past though. Most of my customers are external, so naturally we end up communicating directly through email. Obviously, that has its disadvantages as well. I do have to do things like changes in s.now, but once I know the formula the cooking is easy

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 04-03-2024 at 07:14 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 10:32 AM   #26673
Atocep
Coordinator

We've been using service now for around 3 years. I'm usually one that's pushing us to adapt and stay up to date on new tech, apps, etc. In this instance, I'm still wishing we had the Remedy app we used 10 years ago. It had its weaknesses, but it did everything I needed it to do with minimal downtime. We used web based Remedy after that and it was a massive step backwards. Service Now does more than either versions of Remedy but it's mostly stuff I don't care about while it made everything else require more clicks or is just generally slower at everything. The dashboards are nice, but it was way easier and faster to pull reports in Remedy.

It doesn't help that our organization hasn't followed the ITIL standards they claim to support and can't decide when to use an incident and when to use a case. So we have some groups that will only respond to one or the other and we're left to guess or learn what they want to use.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:39 AM   #26674
bhlloy
Coordinator

ServiceNow is overpriced garbage, like any system that claims to do absolutely everything it will inevitably be mediocre at all of them. In my current role I use it more for CMDB than Ticketing, although I sure create a lot of tickets in it. And for everything cloud, it basically does none of what it claims to do natively… oh you have short lived workloads? Enjoy looking through billions of CIs assholes. You need that bit of data from the cloud provider? Of course there’s no native connector, enjoy writing something yourself.

They do have very good sales people who are very good at wining and dining execs at big enterprise and SIs, which is why they are where they are. Like Salesforce and Splunk.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 11:11 AM   #26675
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

They do have very good sales people who are very good at wining and dining execs at big enterprise and SIs, which is why they are where they are. Like Salesforce and Splunk.

When we started our transition from Remedy to ServiceNow they brought them in to train our staff on how to use it. Rather then spend that time training our staff they spent that time telling then how great it is and selling them on it. They didn't show anyone how to do a single thing, but they went over all of its capabilites.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:29 AM   #26676
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

My old company switched from Remedy to ServiceNow.

Both systems were fucking awful.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 11:46 AM   #26677
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Idly curious -- anybody here that's an UberEats (semi) regular user: has your "service fee" suddenly skyrocketed, like 60% higher than usual, in the past week or two?

I'm not in one of those jurisdictions where there's been any change in Uber wage laws, minimum wage law change, etc, so in theory that shouldn't be causing this. No change in my usual restaurants, distances, order size, etc. Nothing I can think of that I'm doing that would account for it.

But it's really sudden and really noticeable, order killing level of noticeable.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:05 PM   #26678
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Idly curious -- anybody here that's an UberEats (semi) regular user: has your "service fee" suddenly skyrocketed, like 60% higher than usual, in the past week or two?

I'm not in one of those jurisdictions where there's been any change in Uber wage laws, minimum wage law change, etc, so in theory that shouldn't be causing this. No change in my usual restaurants, distances, order size, etc. Nothing I can think of that I'm doing that would account for it.

But it's really sudden and really noticeable, order killing level of noticeable.
Is that with the monthly subscription?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 02:11 PM   #26679
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Is that with the monthly subscription?

Yeah.

edit to add: and it IS applying the member discount to the service fee, as usual

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-04-2024 at 02:12 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 02:31 PM   #26680
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yeah.

edit to add: and it IS applying the member discount to the service fee, as usual
I haven't used it in a few weeks, but was planning on using it tonight. I will see what I get and let you know. Just in general fast food prices have gotten too stupid. I haven't had anything fast food in a couple of months.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:47 PM   #26681
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I haven't used it in a few weeks, but was planning on using it tonight. I will see what I get and let you know. Just in general fast food prices have gotten too stupid. I haven't had anything fast food in a couple of months.

Oh, that's part of the weirdness too I guess. The item prices / my total food cost order? Pretty much normal. If anything, lower than usual (since Will is still in France atm).
Old 04-04-2024, 04:43 PM   #26682
GrantDawg

Checked, and it is the same fee as the last few orders. Just a little over $5.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2024, 04:54 PM   #26683
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Checked, and it is the same fee as the last few orders. Just a little over $5.

Maybe just Athens doing Athens shit
Old 04-04-2024, 04:55 PM   #26684
Ksyrup

I rarely use Uber Eats (mainly once a month just to use the $25 in credit card credits I get), but it's not that great a value. Not so much for the Uber Eats fee, but the extra fee I see that the places put on the order. I've found that once I pay both fees, taxes, and a small tip, that $25 is really just a $10 coupon.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-04-2024 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 05:01 PM   #26685
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I rarely use Uber Eats (mainly once a month just to use the $25 in credit card credits I get), but it's not that great a value. Not so much for the Uber Eats fee, but the extra fee I see that the places put on the order. I've found that once I pay both fees, taxes, and a small tip, that $25 is really just a $10 coupon.

Yeah, that's what most of the deals amount to honestly. A BOGO here, an $8 off if you order $20 (or whatever) somewhere else. It basically just covers the tip and maybe a bit of the service charge. But it's better'n nothing.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:46 PM   #26686
Ksyrup

That Lume bitch can die in a fire.

She and her product and her commercials are disgusting. We have to watch this person stick her feet, pits, and other parts into a camera while she talks about underboob, butt crack, etc.

And now she's apparently tapped into... something... in enough people's psyches that big companies are coming out with products to compete. So now we've got commercials about how bad your balls smell, and products that "4 out of 5 gynecologists recommend" for "your pits to your bits" for women.

W.T.F.?
Old 04-05-2024, 05:22 AM   #26687
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
That Lume bitch can die in a fire.

She and her product and her commercials are disgusting. We have to watch this person stick her feet, pits, and other parts into a camera while she talks about underboob, butt crack, etc.

And now she's apparently tapped into... something... in enough people's psyches that big companies are coming out with products to compete. So now we've got commercials about how bad your balls smell, and products that "4 out of 5 gynecologists recommend" for "your pits to your bits" for women.

W.T.F.?

Is it just the visuals or cause the chicks are getting in on the act?

Cause these have been around for a while.

Fresh Body Fresh Balls Lotion

Manscaped Crop Preserver Ball Deodorant (Their ads are damn near as prevalent on sports podcasts as Draft Kings)

Ballsy Nut Rub Solid Cologne

HAPPY NUTS Comfort Cream Deodorant

Anthony No Sweat Body Defense Deodorant

Meridian Grooming The Spray

Ballsy Ballguard Deodorant

SweatBlock Man Parts Invisible Deodorant Lotion

Toppcock Silver Leave-On Hygiene Gel for Man Parts

Of course I can't leave off the original. Old Spice deodorant in the can.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:19 AM   #26688
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I can't remember seeing a commercial for any of those on TV
Old 04-05-2024, 09:05 AM   #26689
Ksyrup

Exactly. None of those are familiar to me at all.

However, I'm now seeing Lume and big company ads in the middle of the day on TV.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:48 AM   #26690
Edward64
Head Coach

It'll grow on you like all the ED commercials.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:54 AM   #26691
Ksyrup

Peyronie's disease!

Anyone in the mood for carrots?
Old 04-05-2024, 03:32 PM   #26692
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
HEAD ON APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD HEAD ON APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD HEAD ON APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD HEAD ON APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD HEAD ON APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD HEAD ON APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD HEAD ON APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD HEAD ON APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD HEAD ON APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD HEAD ON APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 04:34 PM   #26693
Silver Owl
High School JV

Quote:
Exactly. None of those are familiar to me at all.

However, I'm now seeing Lume and big company ads in the middle of the day on TV.

I saw one of these for the first time today.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 06:29 PM   #26694
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I just learned The Backstreet Boys never had a US #1. That somehow seems impossible as someone who lived through that.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:11 PM   #26695
Ksyrup

Kurt Cobain died 30 years ago yesterday. First breaking news I ever learned on the internet.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:22 PM   #26696
GrantDawg

Had Five Guys a couple of days ago. The diarrhea after-math has just stopped. Nothing like over-paying for a burger to give you severe stomach troubles.

Old 04-06-2024, 06:32 PM   #26697
Ksyrup

Less expensive than Ozempic.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:14 AM   #26698
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

It's raining here. The dog refuses to go on a walk. But he also makes sure that I know he's pissed at me for not taking him. He just randomly walks in the office to stare daggers at me or lets out a loud sigh. But I try to take him and he refuses to go.

I think he believes I control the weather.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:26 AM   #26699
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

My dog once growled at the rain.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 09:12 AM   #26700
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
I just learned The Backstreet Boys never had a US #1. That somehow seems impossible as someone who lived through that.

They only had 6 top 10s, all in a span of less than five years.