Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 05-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #1002
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
y
One thing i noticed rewatching the episode yesterday : Tyrion was struck by a guy from the Kings Guard Was it the same guy that was emberassed/scolded by Tyrion in the throne room when he was torturing Sansa on Joffreys command ?

Yes. And he was killed by the mighty Podrick Payne.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #1003
Swaggs
Coordinator

Thought the finale was alright -- no where in the neighborhood as last week, but pretty good.

Can anyone explain what is going on with John Snow w/o book spoilering things? Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I didn't understand what happened there. I assume the older Watchman "sacrificed" himself, but not sure what the game plan is/was there.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #1004
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Thought the finale was alright -- no where in the neighborhood as last week, but pretty good.

Can anyone explain what is going on with John Snow w/o book spoilering things? Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I didn't understand what happened there. I assume the older Watchman "sacrificed" himself, but not sure what the game plan is/was there.

I haven't read the books but Halfhand figured that both of them were going to die. He knew there was no way to save himself - from what I gather Halfhand is a bit of a legend and the wildlings have probably been trying to kill him forever. He did the only thing he though was left - save Jon's life by making it look like he was a traitor the Watch. In addition, it may help the Watch get someone on the inside of the wildlings camp.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #1005
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
I haven't read the books but Halfhand figured that both of them were going to die. He knew there was no way to save himself - from what I gather Halfhand is a bit of a legend and the wildlings have probably been trying to kill him forever. He did the only thing he though was left - save Jon's life by making it look like he was a traitor the Watch. In addition, it may help the Watch get someone on the inside of the wildlings camp.

This is correct.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #1006
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quality episode. The Halfhand/Jon thing was clumsy. Dragons were awesome! Jaqen was FRIGGING SWEET! Do we really have to wait a year for more?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #1007
Swaggs
Coordinator

They need to make a Jaqen origins story.

He had an awesome storyline and that scene last night was excellent.

I liked the dragons (the quality of CGI was very good), but the Qarth (sp?) storyline was a hell of a lot of build up for a pretty short/simple ending.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #1008
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They need to make a Jaqen origins story.

He had an awesome storyline and that scene last night was excellent.

I liked the dragons (the quality of CGI was very good), but the Qarth (sp?) storyline was a hell of a lot of build up for a pretty short/simple ending.

The dragon CGI was awesome. Amazingly great.

I guess the storyline's ending was just intended to get the dragons to the point where they were established as "a threat." Given, a very small threat, but important development.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #1009
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
The dragon CGI was awesome. Amazingly great.

I guess the storyline's ending was just intended to get the dragons to the point where they were established as "a threat." Given, a very small threat, but important development.

Yeah. I think it was important to show them developing, but they went to all of that trouble to repeatedly show (over the course of the second half of the season) the sorcerer showing his power and then he just got lit up and died in like 10 seconds. Same with the guy that wore the key that wanted to marry her.

To me, her storyline was the only disappointing one this season. I liked it quite a bit last season, so it was a considerable drop off. Not complaining much, as it was the only one of the 10 or so story lines that I didn't like -- not bad.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #1010
PraetorianX
High School JV

I may have been disappointed with the House of the Undying, the lack of certain visions and such, if not for one thing.

KHAL DROGO! Was very pleasantly surprised to see the Khal make an appearance.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #1011
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraetorianX View Post
I may have been disappointed with the House of the Undying, the lack of certain visions and such, if not for one thing.

KHAL DROGO! Was very pleasantly surprised to see the Khal make an appearance.

I forgot to mention this - that was awesome. In fact, the way they handled the House of the Undying was pretty solid all-around -- I have faith that we'll get other visions scattered throughout the coming seasons...rather than dumping them all on us at once like the book did. So that's a small change, but I'm okay with it.

Enjoy the show for what the show is - don't always compare it to the books...taht's what I tell myself.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #1012
Tim Tellean
High School JV

I haven't read the books yet so my view is limited to the show but stay away from Khaleesi she is badass. The dragons were cool CGI and locking the "King of Carth" and her handmaiden was pretty brazen.
Tim Tellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #1013
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah. I think it was important to show them developing, but they went to all of that trouble to repeatedly show (over the course of the second half of the season) the sorcerer showing his power and then he just got lit up and died in like 10 seconds.

This was our thought as well. He can disappear and reappear wherever he wants but he got killed by a jet of flame that looked like it came from a gas oven? Pretty weak. I'm not sure if that's what happens in the book but it seemed a little off
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #1014
spleen1015
Coordinator

It seemed to me that he didn't take the dragons all that seriously. Granted, as a Warlock, I would think that single jet of flame that initially caught him on fire wouldn't be too much for him to handle, but when all 3 dragons started rapid firing at him, I dunno.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #1015
GrantDawg

Book 2 was not great for Dani. It was sparse and boring. Book 3 gets a whole lot better. A large amount of whole lot.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #1016
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It likely is part of the reason why Book 3 has to be split up - too much stuff going on in the Dany story to relegate her to the background.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #1017
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
This was our thought as well. He can disappear and reappear wherever he wants but he got killed by a jet of flame that looked like it came from a gas oven? Pretty weak. I'm not sure if that's what happens in the book but it seemed a little off

To dissect that scene a little....all the extra images of him are illusions. Illusions that can interact with their environment, but still just very powerful illusions. When the dragons look at him in front of her, that told Dani that he was not another illusion, but the actual sorcerer. That is why she commanded attack at that time. And nothing survives dragon breath.

(btw, that is not at all how the book goes. That is just my guess/insight on how that all went down)
Old 06-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #1018
cschex
High School Varsity

Count me among the book fans that thinks (hopes) we'll get some of the stuff from the House of the Undying scattered later in Dany's storyline, because I think there are a couple of pretty important things in there. Overall though, I didn't mind the adaption in the show, the producers are moving things forward and back, not adapting linearly book-by-book.

The one plotline that did not work for me in the second half of the season was Jon/Qhorin/wildlings. I thought it was fairly clumsy, but it did get Jon to the wildling camp so it served its purpose, I suppose.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #1019
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

So why was Winterfell burned? I clearly missed something; weren't the occupiers given free passage as soon as they turned over Theon?
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #1020
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, do you want book spoilers?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #1021
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Oh, sorry. I don't always pay full attention to the show so I thought I must have just missed something. Didn't realize it was a cliffhanger type thing.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #1022
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Book 2 was not great for Dani. It was sparse and boring. Book 3 gets a whole lot better. A large amount of whole lot.

This. I've actually thought that her storyline as a whole has probably benefited the most from the transition to the TV from the books, and will I think be the one that continues to benefit the most moving forward. The TV can cut out all of the junk and just give us the good stuff.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #1023
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well, do you want book spoilers?

I read the books, but forget why Winterfell was burned. I would mind an expanation in spoiler tags if someone was ambitious...
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #1024
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
I read the books, but forget why Winterfell was burned. I would mind an expanation in spoiler tags if someone was ambitious...

Spoiler
Old 06-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #1025
Landshark44
High School Varsity

ok, got it.. thanks
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #1026
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I was a big fan of the horse shitting.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #1027
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I was a big fan of the horse shitting.

Yup, that was great. I have to say that the biggest and best difference for me re: the series vs the books is the character of Tywin. It's a combination of the actor they hired a well as the script, as they've really portrayed him to the audience in a way that is matched up with the kind of reputation that is given him by others in the book.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #1028
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yup, that was great. I have to say that the biggest and best difference for me re: the series vs the books is the character of Tywin. It's a combination of the actor they hired a well as the script, as they've really portrayed him to the audience in a way that is matched up with the kind of reputation that is given him by others in the book.

I agree. They've done an excellent job creating much more depth and characterization to Tywin, a large par of it due to Charles Dance, in the show.

I feel that there are a few characters who are actually better on the show than they were in the books. Cersei is one. She is much more nuanced and somewhat sympathetic on the show. I thought Lena Heady was probably the most improved actor on the show between years one and two.

I like what they've done with Margery Tyrell. I like Brienne better. Yoren, a cool character in the book, was also better on screen. Bronn is another. While I was very iffy on Shae to begin, she really came on strong as well in the second of this season and is a more interesting character on the show.

They've really done an amazing job with casting. In fact, they've done an amazing job overall. I can't wait until next year!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #1029
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

It's a sad day when a man must go.

Really wish a man had more screen time.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #1030
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

re: characters in books vs. show - I think it comes down to WHO had the POV chapters. We were looking at most people (or hearing about them) from the POV of other characters in the books. So Tywin was never seen from behind his eyes.

The show can't do that and has to flesh out the character far more than the books ever did.

Of course that also leads to book people being slightly frustrated that some POV characters aren't given greater depth in the show (ie, Jon Snow for one).
Old 06-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #1031
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

They ought to write in a storyline for Jaqen just so he can stay on the show.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #1032
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
re: characters in books vs. show - I think it comes down to WHO had the POV chapters. We were looking at most people (or hearing about them) from the POV of other characters in the books. So Tywin was never seen from behind his eyes.

The show can't do that and has to flesh out the character far more than the books ever did.

Of course that also leads to book people being slightly frustrated that some POV characters aren't given greater depth in the show (ie, Jon Snow for one).

I think that has something to do with it. We get the advantage of seeing scenes between characters who had no POV chapter and therefore can see them in a different light.

That said, I think between some tweaks in the writing and the casting of certain characters has just been so spot on that they are better. I think Yoren is a prime example of that.

Also, there are certain POV characters - e.g., Arya, Ned, Tyrion, Theon - who are really every bit as good and compelling on the show as they are in the books. We're never going to get the same amount due to the necessary time constraints/trimmings, but what we have been given is pretty much perfect.

The Jon Snow/Qhorin Halfhand stuff was really the only change from the book to the show this season that rubbed me the wrong way. I understand why they did it, but it really cut into the Halfhand as a character in a negative way in my opinion.

Spoiler
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #1033
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
They ought to write in a storyline for Jaqen just so he can stay on the show.

Spoiler
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #1034
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

On your Spoiler, HB:

Spoiler

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-05-2012 at 09:46 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #1035
spleen1015
Coordinator

Spoiler
Old 06-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #1036
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 06-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #1037
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #1038
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #1039
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 06-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #1040
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 06-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #1041
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

This is veering into book-discussion...maybe we should continue it over there?
Old 06-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #1042
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
This is veering into book-discussion...maybe we should continue it over there?
I've bailed out of this thread a couple of times fearing we were losing that distinction. I know it's hard, so I'll probably steer clear of this one to be safe. Can't wait for Season 3!
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #1043
GrantDawg

I don't know about the others (probably be soon because they are near the time they start filming), but Shireen is cast:

'Game of Thrones' casts 'Matilda' Kerry Ingram as Shireen Baratheon - Game of Thrones News - TV - Digital Spy
Old 06-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #1044
sabotai
General Manager

Finally got around to watching the last episode. Most of it was good, but I really hated the way they handled the Joffery-Sansa-Margery thing. I think it takes away a lot from the Tyrells.

Book spoilers below
Spoiler
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #1045
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Finally got around to watching the last episode. Most of it was good, but I really hated the way they handled the Joffery-Sansa-Margery thing. I think it takes away a lot from the Tyrells.

Book spoilers below
Spoiler

That true, with regard to the books (non spoilers): the books had a lot of mystery as who was planning what and part of the fun was a kind of political intrigue / detective story. Do watchers of the show who haven't read the books have a similar view on it, or has that lessened considerably from Season 1 (which is the only one I've seen to date).
Old 06-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #1046
Grover
Pro Starter

I get the feeling that Sansa is being intelligent, rather than stupid about people offering help. She's being smart by refusing, saying she belongs there because she knows in her mind she can't trust anybody at all. She worries that if she does say she wants to get out, Joffrey or Ceresi will find out and have her killed. Sure, Littlefinger might be offering her a way out, but what's one good reason Sansa should ever trust him?

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #1047
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

So just gone done with a 2-3 week marathon session of the first two seasons of Game of Thrones. (Got to love being a teacher and having the summer off) Avoided this thread until then just in case there were some spoilers but this is definitely up there with my favorite HBO series of all time. I really hate waiting for a new season especially with HBO who doesn't always stick with just a year off. How easily could I pick up the third book and move right along? My biggest fear is that I know who the characters are by sight but outside of the Starks and Lannisters I don't know a lot of their names. (i.e. Hot dragon chick with big tits, funny/badass sidekick to midget, badass with burned face, Carcetti with a moustache...)

My opinion of the show so far does seem a little different than people in this thread who have read the book. I think the dragon chick is one of the better storylines of the show, I also enjoy Tyrion much like everyone else, hate King Jeofrey but love his scenes and think the actor is fantastic at making me hate him, and really am interested in what is going to happen with the little girl Stark and the blacksmith dude. About the only scenes that really bore me (and I enjoy them also but they aren't as fun as the rest) are the Knight's watch and the Hot Redhead Goddess. The White Walkers started out the first episode of the first season real badass but the multiple episodes of Jon Snow and redhead chick in the mountains really dragged on. The end with the walking dead army was interesting but I have to admit I was kind of hoping for a King's Landing cliffhanger and thought those white walkers were way more badass and scary than horseback grandpa with blue eyes.

For fans of the book feel free to mock/laugh at my descriptions or lack of understanding of major plot points.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #1048
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

You could probably pick up the third book and go at it fairly easily. If there's people (like the ones above) that you don't know their names, you could make a list here and we could name them for you.

Then again - there's a lot of the backstory that you would miss in the first two books (because it was cut out of the HBO series so far) that might lead to confusion...but it's stuff that you could probably fill in by reading wiki's or asking here and such.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #1049
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I really hate waiting for a new season especially with HBO who doesn't always stick with just a year off. How easily could I pick up the third book and move right along? My biggest fear is that I know who the characters are by sight but outside of the Starks and Lannisters I don't know a lot of their names. (i.e. Hot dragon chick with big tits, funny/badass sidekick to midget, badass with burned face, Carcetti with a moustache...)

It would not be easy at all. You'll pretty much have to read books 1-2.

Too much has been changed or simplified in the TV show for you to really understand what's going on from book 3 on. Some of the story lines have been completely changed. Some characters in the show are still alive but dead in the books, some are dead in the show but still alive in the books. And it's a "cast of thousands", if you don't know their names, then you'll get lost quickly.

The alternative to that, if you really don't want to read the books, is to read the chapter summaries on the Tower Of The Hand wiki. Be careful though, it's easy to fall into the ocean of spoilers there. I'd suggest just reading the books. They are worth it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #1050
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
It would not be easy at all. You'll pretty much have to read books 1-2.

Too much has been changed or simplified in the TV show for you to really understand what's going on from book 3 on. Some of the story lines have been completely changed. Some characters in the show are still alive but dead in the books, some are dead in the show but still alive in the books. And it's a "cast of thousands", if you don't know their names, then you'll get lost quickly.

The alternative to that, if you really don't want to read the books, is to read the chapter summaries on the Tower Of The Hand wiki. Be careful though, it's easy to fall into the ocean of spoilers there. I'd suggest just reading the books. They are worth it.

I suppose you're right. There is a lot that has been changed + simplifid...he would be missing out on a lot. Was just trying to be optomistic.