Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #1051
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would also suggest reading the books, especially if you have the summer off. They will give a lot of the backstory and may be fun for you to see how they changed things around. It would certainly add depth to the characters.

And if you think the scenes with John and Ygritte dragged on in the show...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #1052
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

What are we talking here 400-500 page books or Stephen King 1500 pagers? I am also on book 3 in the Dark Tower Series which I was hoping to complete this summer. Is Martin's writing style a real easy page turner or one where you have to re-read paragraphs on every page? I really enjoy reading but wonder if I will have the opposite experience as you guys were to you Ned Stark was someone you pictured that was played by Sean Bean and I will already have seen these characters formed on HBO and picture Bean when I am reading.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #1053
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

That doesn't sound promising.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #1054
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
What are we talking here 400-500 page books or Stephen King 1500 pagers? I am also on book 3 in the Dark Tower Series which I was hoping to complete this summer. Is Martin's writing style a real easy page turner or one where you have to re-read paragraphs on every page? I really enjoy reading but wonder if I will have the opposite experience as you guys were to you Ned Stark was someone you pictured that was played by Sean Bean and I will already have seen these characters formed on HBO and picture Bean when I am reading.

They are long books. 700-900 pages.

I like his writing style well enough. Never had to re-read paragraphs, but have re-read many because I enjoyed them or to refresh my memory about how something was described.

Worth reading.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #1055
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

You know nothing, Lathum Snow!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-13-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #1056
bronconick
College Starter

The first three books are some of the best in its genre. If you like the show, they're probably worth the purchase.

I'd argue what he's written since those three stack up about as well as the Star Wars prequels do to the original trilogy, however.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #1057
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
The first three books are some of the best in its genre. If you like the show, they're probably worth the purchase.

I'd argue what he's written since those three stack up about as well as the Star Wars prequels do to the original trilogy, however.

Yikes! I wouldn't go that far. No, not at all, but the first three books are better, tighter and more coherent.

But, Star Wars prequel bad?

Meesa thinks youza crazy!!
Old 06-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #1058
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
You know nothing, Lathum Snow!

hahaha
Old 06-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #1059
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I think you may need be able to breeze through them knowing a lot of the story already you may be able to skim over stuff.

Books 3-4-5 of the Dark Tower are are amazing as well though.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #1060
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

And speaking of Joffery (and this might have been said before), but the actor is actually going to the University to become a minister. He really hates how evil Joffery is, but he is darn good at doing it.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #1061
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
That doesn't sound promising.

you know nothing

(or, someone else can make the joke first)

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 06-13-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #1062
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
It would not be easy at all. You'll pretty much have to read books 1-2.

Too much has been changed or simplified in the TV show for you to really understand what's going on from book 3 on. Some of the story lines have been completely changed. Some characters in the show are still alive but dead in the books, some are dead in the show but still alive in the books. And it's a "cast of thousands", if you don't know their names, then you'll get lost quickly.

The alternative to that, if you really don't want to read the books, is to read the chapter summaries on the Tower Of The Hand wiki. Be careful though, it's easy to fall into the ocean of spoilers there. I'd suggest just reading the books. They are worth it.

To piggy back on this a little bit, there are also characters introduced in the 2nd book that aren't going to be introduced until the 3rd season of the show. So, you won't know who they are when you pick up the book.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #1063
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

apparently, they used a prop GW Bush head for some of the decapitation scenes.

beware, link has big season 1 / book 1 spoiler:

'Game of Thrones' put George W. Bush's head on a stake - The Clicker
Old 06-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #1064
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Yikes! I wouldn't go that far. No, not at all, but the first three books are better, tighter and more coherent.

But, Star Wars prequel bad?

Meesa thinks youza crazy!!

Three pages of turtle descriptions is about equal with Jar Jar stepping in poo.

At a bare minimum, he's faltered to Robert Jordan WoT books 7-10 quality with the explosion of PoV characters all sucking 1-3 chapters and no one moving ahead in plot.

First 3 books: One POV character with 3 or less chapters: Davos in ACoK

Book 4: 8 POV characters with 15 combined chapters
Book 5: 9 POV characters with 17 combined chapters

HBO's going to punch him for doubling their acting expenses.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #1065
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think you may need be able to breeze through them knowing a lot of the story already you may be able to skim over stuff.

Books 3-4-5 of the Dark Tower are are amazing as well though.

Yeah my friend recommended the series but said books 6 and 7 are pretty weak. (of course he also said book 1 wasn't very good and I thought it was a fun fantasy/western) I'm not looking for King to explain to me the mysteries of the universe so maybe my hopes for the whole series won't be as high as his but he said books 2-5 were fantastic.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #1066
GrantDawg

Quote:

At a bare minimum, he's faltered to Robert Jordan WoT books 7-10 quality with the explosion of PoV characters all sucking 1-3 chapters and no one moving ahead in plot.

I'll give you that they are "Jordan-esq." Heck, his unwillingness to end the series is very Jordan.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #1067
Groundhog
Coordinator

IMO books 1 and 3 are amazing, 2 is great. 4 was a real struggle for me and by far the weakest book as a whole, while 5 stepped it up a notch, but still didn't reach the heights of the first 3. If he's read 6 and 7 I'd be interested to know how.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #1068
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

so, you guys are saying I should stop after book 3 (GOT)?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #1069
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post

I doubt you'll be able to - you'll want to know what happens next. TBH, looking back the biggest problem with book 4 - outside of missing some of the big characters (not a character death spoiler - some characters were left out altogether, to appear in book 5 instead) - is that it's just different. Books 1 through 3 show a well planned and thought out story arc, which builds to an epic climax. Book 4 then sort of starts again, introducing new characters (some of whom aren't particularly interesting at first, if at all), more "one off" chapters, more outside-of-Westeros adventures, and for the first time the story starts to feel like he's making it up as he goes along, or just filling pages in places.

Book 5 is a big improvement and definitely had me hanging out for the next book.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #1070
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
IMO books 1 and 3 are amazing, 2 is great. 4 was a real struggle for me and by far the weakest book as a whole, while 5 stepped it up a notch, but still didn't reach the heights of the first 3. If he's read 6 and 7 I'd be interested to know how.

He is talking about The Dark Tower, not GoT
Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #1071
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post

No.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #1072
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I doubt you'll be able to - you'll want to know what happens next. TBH, looking back the biggest problem with book 4 - outside of missing some of the big characters (not a character death spoiler - some characters were left out altogether, to appear in book 5 instead) - is that it's just different. Books 1 through 3 show a well planned and thought out story arc, which builds to an epic climax. Book 4 then sort of starts again, introducing new characters (some of whom aren't particularly interesting at first, if at all), more "one off" chapters, more outside-of-Westeros adventures, and for the first time the story starts to feel like he's making it up as he goes along, or just filling pages in places.

Book 5 is a big improvement and definitely had me hanging out for the next book.

What he said. The issue is that Books 1-3 were a neatly wrapped up story arc. Martin wanted to do a "5 Years Later" but realized that couldn't work as the flashbacks were getting way too detailed, so he wrote in what happened during those 5 years. That's what Book 4 and 2/3rds of Book 5 are... so no wonder they are a slog, the writer didn't want to write them to begin with.

But you won't be able to resist trying to figure out what's going one next as Groundhog said. Let's just say it kind of ends with a bang.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #1073
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Never read the Robert Jordon WoT books, so I don't carry those scars around with me.

I agree that things didn't move forward nearly as quickly as I'd like or expected in the last two books (the number of characters with POV chapters doesn't bother me in the slightest), but I have read Feast three times and will likely read "Dance" at least once more before the next book comes out, so I can't say that I hate them, because I don't.

It's an interesting comparison, for me at least, since the first three Star Wars movies were my favorite films growing up - and still hold a very special place for me - and this series is - by far - my favorite set of books ever. Nothing really comes close.

So, while I acknowledge a drop in quality and a lack of advancement (I have many theories on this you can find in the book thread) I completely reject the Star Wars prequel comparison.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #1074
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Yeah my friend recommended the series but said books 6 and 7 are pretty weak. (of course he also said book 1 wasn't very good and I thought it was a fun fantasy/western) I'm not looking for King to explain to me the mysteries of the universe so maybe my hopes for the whole series won't be as high as his but he said books 2-5 were fantastic.

For the "Dark Tower" series. I really loved book 6. I thought it was great. Book 7 was a big disappointment. I loved how the series finally ended, I am talking the last few pages, but almost everything up to that point in book 7 was pretty weak. Books 2-4 are fantastic.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #1075
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
What he said. The issue is that Books 1-3 were a neatly wrapped up story arc. Martin wanted to do a "5 Years Later" but realized that couldn't work as the flashbacks were getting way too detailed, so he wrote in what happened during those 5 years. That's what Book 4 and 2/3rds of Book 5 are... so no wonder they are a slog, the writer didn't want to write them to begin with.

But you won't be able to resist trying to figure out what's going one next as Groundhog said. Let's just say it kind of ends with a bang.

The main issue is that they're kind of hanging out there right now as a literary "Bridge to Nowhere" because of that. Once the next 1 or 2 books are published, they'll probably look better (all but one of Jordan's weakest books have improved IMO now that there are books following up. CoT is unforgivable, however.) if still not comparable to the earlier three.

I hope now that he's through that five year slog it starts coming more easily to him. Book 3 being split into two seasons hopefully gives him time to get most or all of 6 done because I'm not sure how far out on that bridge HBO will be willing to go past the ending of aSOS if they don't know where it leads. They might end up going one year on , one year off with some other show otherwise to buy more time.

Last edited by bronconick : 06-13-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #1076
Groundhog
Coordinator

I can see them wrapping the TV series up following the third book. At least, I wouldn't be shocked if that was their original intention, but the success of the show (assuming it holds - which given the short seasons is likely) may lead to them going beyond book three.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #1077
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It would have been a completely unsatisfying ending . And I don't think that was original intention - George R.R. Martin would have NEVER given them the rights if they were going to do that.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #1078
Groundhog
Coordinator

Well, obviously the ending would have to change from the book to tie things together, but it was also Martin's original intent for it to be a trilogy, and it definitely reads like that considering all the events in the third book. Wouldn't have been hard to change a few things and have it tie together for a conclussion.

Spoiler
Old 06-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #1079
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
It would not be easy at all. You'll pretty much have to read books 1-2.

Too much has been changed or simplified in the TV show for you to really understand what's going on from book 3 on. Some of the story lines have been completely changed. Some characters in the show are still alive but dead in the books, some are dead in the show but still alive in the books. And it's a "cast of thousands", if you don't know their names, then you'll get lost quickly.
I'd actually split the difference... I think outside of some Ned Stark backstory Season 1 of GoT and the first book were very similar. Season 2/Book 2 plots did diverge, and that book certainly expands the cast of characters.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #1080
spleen1015
Coordinator

He's told HBO how the story ends, so I think HBO will end up telling some version of his full story.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #1081
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have always been of the opinion that so long as HBO can get through "Storm of Swords" (book 3) - which by all accounts would be through season 4 of the show - that I'd be perfectly happy. Anything after that is just gravy.

Also, the show's writers have shown the ability to change things around effectively while still largely maintaining the integrity of the characters, themes and overall plot. So, if they do go beyond book 3, I can invision some pretty big changes.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #1082
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

HBO has also just let Carnivale, Deadwood, and to some extent Rome die without any sort of conclusion. When push comes to shove (ratings vs cost) why will they have any more devotion to Game of Thrones? Obviously this is a small percentage of the programs but also three of the ones that had lots of production costs.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #1083
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I would guess, with DVD sales and merchandising, HBO stands to make more off of GoT than those programs. Enough to keep it going forever how much longer? Who knows. Will it still be the phenomenon that it is when the somewhat-maligned Books 4 and 5 are adapted?

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 06-14-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #1084
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I would guess, with DVD sales and merchandising, HBO stands to make more off of GoT than those programs. Enough to keep it going forever how much longer? Who knows. Will it still be the phenomenon that it is when the somewhat-maligned Books 4 and 5 are adapted?

I think it will, and I'm looking forward to that actually. They can cut out a lot of the "crap" that happens in those books that is more filler-ish and just focus on the important stuff.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #1085
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Ratings, not to mention the DVD sales and merchandising Ronnie mentioned, have been far far superior with GoT compared to Carnivale, Deadwood, or Rome. And of the three only Deadwood has had the sort of critical acclaim that GoT has had. Not to mention none of those three when an acting Emmy like GoT has, so there's extra prestige attached to the series and prestige matters for HBO.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #1086
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I think it will, and I'm looking forward to that actually. They can cut out a lot of the "crap" that happens in those books that is more filler-ish and just focus on the important stuff.

This. 4 and 5 are going to be blended (same time frame) and some of the story-lines will be condensed and/or dropped. If Martin had done that, and just released the material left as one book, that book would have been as good as the first three.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-14-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #1087
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

I think the problem is having everyone decide on what is "filler-ish" .
Old 06-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #1088
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Here is a decent little piece on how "Game of Thrones" might end and why:

The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors: Ending "Game of Thrones"
Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #1089
spleen1015
Coordinator

Suppose Martin lives until he is 99 and he gets book 6 out in 5 years and book 7 out 5 years after that.

Do you guys really think the show will take the story all of the way to the true ending before the books are finished or end/die before then?

Last edited by spleen1015 : 06-14-2012 at 11:27 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #1090
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Suppose Martin lives until he is 99 and he get book 6 out in 5 years and book 7 out 5 years after that.

Do you guys really think the show will take the story all of the way to the true ending, ala Book 7, or end/die before then?

I think it's more likely than not that the TV show never gets to the end of the series.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #1091
chadritt
High School Varsity

Hell need to write quicker than that if he doesnt want his ending given away by the show. If its true that hes told them what hes going to do then hes got to know they could give it away first if he doesnt hurry.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #1092
bronconick
College Starter

If the TV show passes his books and HBO does have and reveal the ending, I don't expect him to write one again. At the heart of the matter, I think he views himself at least as much a screenwriter as a novelist and the last two books have been "a bitch" and "3 bitches and a bastard" in his own words to write.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #1093
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here is a decent little piece on how "Game of Thrones" might end and why:

The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors: Ending "Game of Thrones"

Quote:

And then there’s mortality. As disquieting as it is to consider, there’s a possibility that the 63-year-old won’t live long enough to wrap the series. Martin resembles Santa Claus in many ways, particularly in the midsection, and the fact that he’s a Jets fan can’t thrill his cardiologist. Essentially, Martin could be one Mark Sanchezception away from expiration … and Sanchez throws a lot of interceptions. YOU’RE KILLING AN AMERICAN TREASURE, MARK! THINK BEFORE YOU RELEASE THE BALL!! Point is, there are real questions about both his capacity to have material ready when HBO needs it and his ability to finish it at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-ZeaS_QJ8w

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-14-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #1094
bronconick
College Starter

I got a chuckle about the comment talking about what if he becomes a Tebow convert? That would be different.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #1095
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Hell need to write quicker than that if he doesnt want his ending given away by the show. If its true that hes told them what hes going to do then hes got to know they could give it away first if he doesnt hurry.

I do think though that the show producers will wait for him somewhat. HBO shows have before taken a year off and if Martin is just about done, they may simply wait (while having the drafts of Martin's book).

Also remember that books are getting all divided up now. Book 3 is 2 seasons. It is likely that Book 4 and 5 will be combined and divided into 3 seasons (some say 2 - but there is too much with the new cultures that it'll have to be 3 - as HBO has expanded some of the characters in the show, they'll likely want to expand more on the new places introduced in Book 4).

So... that would be, what 5 years starting 2013? Martin has a 2 year head start. And then I assume Book 6 would be a 2 season-er.

So say Martin does Book 6 five years after Book 5. That'd be 2016. That'd be the year the 2nd of the 3 season arc of Book 4 & 5. 2018 is when the first part of Book 6 would be filmed. So in 2020, the show would be reason to do part 1 of the final book, Book 7. Basically Martin would have to write the final book 4 years after his last book to meet the beginning of the final seasons.

Or HBO could delay it one year, giving Martin 5 years. Actually it may be a marketing coup to have Book 7 released a month before the 1st of the final 2 seasons (based on Book 7) start.

(if that made ANY sense)
Old 06-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #1096
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Martin's also hopefully past the Mereenese-knot issue and back on track with his original trajectory for the story, so while there'll doubtless be some fallout in terms of added time/pages due to the stuff introduced there, he's back to the core of the story that he wanted to tell and thus will hopefully git er done.

Plus, I think there's zero-chance that he would actually be content for the HBO series to race ahead of him and tell his story in a way that he didn't want it to be told.

That would cost him a ton of prestige, and $ frankly.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #1097
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And he may decide to fuck with them and tell his story differently than the show .
Old 06-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #1098
chadritt
High School Varsity

I just cant imagine HBO doing this show for a full decade, it just doesnt seem plausible. Actors age, especially children, and shows just get more and more expensive as they go. Remember, a show like House which was HUGE went for 8 years and that felt like forever.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #1099
Ramzavail
College Starter

R.A. Dickey's walk up to the plate music is now the Game of Thrones theme song. Pretty cool I heard it last night when I was at the game.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #1100
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

There is a rumor that the Blackfish has been cast.

Yay for the Blackfish!