Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Official 2017-18 NBA Regular Season Thread

I mean, Gordon Hayward warrants a season opening NBA thread, I'd think?

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #2
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, I'd say so. Horrendous. Should be interesting to see what Tatum does now though, I guess.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just horrendous, talk about star-crossed (or something).
Old 10-17-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
miami_fan
Coordinator

Based on the texts I received earlier and the stuff I saw on social media, I am actually happy I just got home from my son's game and missed this injury.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #5
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Based on the texts I received earlier and the stuff I saw on social media, I am actually happy I just got home from my son's game and missed this injury.

It wasn't at the level of PG's break, but not something I need to see again.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:08 PM   #6
miami_fan
Coordinator

So despite the injury, this is a 2 point game with under 10 minutes left in the 4th. The box score for the Cavs' starters is kinda stinky. The team is 3-15 from three.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-17-2017, 09:08 PM   #7
PilotMan
Head Coach

That Nike/Chuck D/Lebron James commercial is the tits.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #8
miami_fan
Coordinator

To be fair, The C's are not better at 6-25. I am talking more about the number of attempts as opposed to the percentage.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #9
Groundhog
Coordinator

Cavs came out flat from halftime, but Lue has had his usual spell of bad lineup decisions and inability to adjust when Smart decided he was going to destroy Korver in the post every possession.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #10
Groundhog
Coordinator

There must be few things as scary for a guard than being out on the break with the ball with LeBron just lurking a few steps behind you...
Old 10-17-2017, 09:32 PM   #11
Groundhog
Coordinator

Shump in post-season form already with that foul on the inbound.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:58 PM   #12
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Something in the water at Oakland. Now swaggy cant miss.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:30 AM   #13
MrBug708
Head Coach

Nice ending to the Rockets-GS game
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:34 AM   #14
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Nice ending to the Rockets-GS game

Rockets fought back... Draymond getting hurt probably opened the door. Warriors played kind of sloppy with turnovers and looked like they got the nice lead and thought they could coast.

Harden and Paul seem like an odd combo so I am still not sure how that is going to end up. Paul just kind of defers to Harden and watches, at least tonight he did.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-18-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:47 AM   #15
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Rockets fought back... Draymond getting hurt probably opened the door. Warriors played kind of sloppy with turnovers and looked like they got the nice lead and thought they could coast.

Harden and Paul seem like an odd combo so I am still not sure how that is going to end up. Paul just kind of defers to Harden and watches, at least tonight he did.

This is pretty spot on. Paul just sort of stood around a lot. Chris Paul standing around while Harden goes iso-ball is not a great strategy.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 10-18-2017 at 01:17 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:12 AM   #16
Groundhog
Coordinator

Is Paul a little banged up? Didn't seem to move well. There was one possession in the 2nd half where he was iso on Durant and he made what looked like a 50% effort attempt to get an open look before passing the ball away, just didn't look like himself.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:22 AM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Is Paul a little banged up? Didn't seem to move well. There was one possession in the 2nd half where he was iso on Durant and he made what looked like a 50% effort attempt to get an open look before passing the ball away, just didn't look like himself.

Sat out the final minutes with a sore knee. Pretty much all who commented afterwards -- player, coach, teammates -- talked about him gutting it out as best he could but with Eric Gordon healthy & ready, that was a better option than a less than healthy CP.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:34 AM   #18
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Sat out the final minutes with a sore knee. Pretty much all who commented afterwards -- player, coach, teammates -- talked about him gutting it out as best he could but with Eric Gordon healthy & ready, that was a better option than a less than healthy CP.

Ah, thanks. Had the audio muted with the family over, pretending to be paying attention to conversations.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:24 AM   #19
korme
Go Reds

I was at the game, electric atmosphere. 5 minutes and 15 seconds later the wind was taken out of the building, and this was Cleveland. I was on the opposite end of the floor so I couldn't see exactly how he landed or how bad it was. But we could tell it was bad because of all of the other player's reactions. Very unfortunate.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #20
miami_fan
Coordinator

The guy who asked Kyrie how shocking it was to see Hayward's injury should probably lose his press pass pending remedial journalism training.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #21
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
That Nike/Chuck D/Lebron James commercial is the tits.
Just incredible. Had me all fired up.

Also, can Kobe please be my life coach?

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #22
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Kobe, don't make me like you now.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #23
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Get used to this, Houston.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #24
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The guy who asked Kyrie how shocking it was to see Hayward's injury should probably lose his press pass pending remedial journalism training.

Yes and no. While somewhat tasteless, it is not out of question for a reporter to seek a comment about an event, even a horrific one, from someone else close to the play. From a journalism perspective, it's more egregious if the reporter asked Kyrie a leading question by assuming he would be shocked.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #25
MrBug708
Head Coach

To be fair, that message from Kobe was kind of self serving. That's great, but if Kobe wants to tell GH this, he can always just pick up the phone and call. It's not like he won't answer Kobe. But the message is still a good one.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:56 PM   #26
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Yes and no. While somewhat tasteless, it is not out of question for a reporter to seek a comment about an event, even a horrific one, from someone else close to the play. From a journalism perspective, it's more egregious if the reporter asked Kyrie a leading question by assuming he would be shocked.

Just felt like a lazy question to me. We saw the video. Kyrie was shocked. Not sure why we needed a nuanced discussion of the level of shock.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #27
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

[IMG][/IMG]

Probably not a great idea to poke the bear. And if he only actually knew how good the Warriors actually are on defense.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-18-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:35 AM   #28
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well, if Houston won that means that GS gave up more points so if Houston's D isn't serious then what does that say about GS?

I get where D'Antoni is coming from. Granted, Draymond is basically batshit & probably just needs to be ignored most of the time, but maybe part of dealing with the GS thing might be to call out the crazy stuff. {shrug}
Old 10-19-2017, 03:28 AM   #29
Groundhog
Coordinator

Sixers looked pretty good today, they should be entertaining to watch those 20-odd games today's starting 5 play together...

Fultz looked better today than the preseason games I watched, but still drives right to left and spins every single time he gets the ball. Simmons looked like RotY, super excited to see what he can do for Aussie basketball.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:15 AM   #30
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Jeremy Lin.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #31
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I was at the game, electric atmosphere. 5 minutes and 15 seconds later the wind was taken out of the building, and this was Cleveland. I was on the opposite end of the floor so I couldn't see exactly how he landed or how bad it was. But we could tell it was bad because of all of the other player's reactions. Very unfortunate.

It was terrible to see on TV, and my kids were sitting with me, excited for their first NBA game. The fall looked bad, but it was the fact that the commentator shouted "Hayward broke his leg" just one second after he fell that most disturbed me. As they were changing angles my brain was in slow motion thinking, how bad is this that he knows that already? Gruesome.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #32
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The Suns are already in midseason tanking mode. After 3 quarters at home against Portland, they were down 98-55

I can't think of a worse start for Boston, they lose Hayward, their first 2 games and now Lin is out (making the Brooklyn pick even more valuable).
Old 10-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #33
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Well, if Houston won that means that GS gave up more points so if Houston's D isn't serious then what does that say about GS?

I get where D'Antoni is coming from. Granted, Draymond is basically batshit & probably just needs to be ignored most of the time, but maybe part of dealing with the GS thing might be to call out the crazy stuff. {shrug}
Is it crazy though? Warriors were ranked 2nd in team defense last season - pretty incredible considering they were ranked first offensively. This is just MDA trolling the defensive player of the year over one game. Probably not super smart since D'Antoni's teams are historically marginal on defense. But the soap opera is one of the things that makes the NBA so great, so please continue shit talking.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 10-19-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #34
Logan
Head Coach

I would link it, but it's on Deadspin and I've learned my lesson about linking to there on FOFC. But search out today's story on Yi Jianlian.

If, like me, the first mention of Yi makes you think of him going up against a chair in a pre-draft workout, it appears we have all been conned by Bill Simmons taking a Danny Ainge joke as gospel and then running with it for a decade.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #35
RainMaker
General Manager

The Lin injury sucks. He's been such a great story in the NBA and unfortunately a patellar tendon tear is one of the worst injuries you can have as an athlete and likely ends any productiveness he has left in his career.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Is it crazy though?

I meant in general (re: Draymond & batshit)

I'm reminded a little of the thing that wrestlers knew about promos, how you don't bury the guy you're going to beat 'cause it makes you look like you didn't do anything.

For DG to try to smack talk about the D of a team that you just gave up more points than ...
Old 10-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #37
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The Lin injury sucks. He's been such a great story in the NBA and unfortunately a patellar tendon tear is one of the worst injuries you can have as an athlete and likely ends any productiveness he has left in his career.

yeah, it has spawned several takes in me. Like the dude, he's a great bad player. But suddenly DeAngelo Russell might get a chance to shine and i like that dude's talent. But the Cavs own the Brooklyn pick so now I'm not sure if Brooklyn will be better or worse without Lin.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #38
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think it's pretty clear they will be worse. Here's what ESPN had in their stats department:
Quote:
In 46 games without Jeremy Lin last season, the Nets went 7-39, compared to 13-23 with him. The only player on the Nets' current roster that averaged more points per game than Lin's 14.5 last season was D'Angelo Russell, who averaged 15.6 with the Lakers
Old 10-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #39
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I can't think of a worse start for Boston, they lose Hayward, their first 2 games and now Lin is out (making the Brooklyn pick even more valuable).
Plus bad, selfish Kyrie showed up last night. Hopefully it was over compensating after Hayward's injury, but having the ball stop that much last night is not what we want (or what we saw in preseason/Cleveland.) I also think Theis should be getting more minutes and Nader less at the end of the rotation, but Milwaukee is an odd team to matchup against (and if Giannis plays like he did last night, look out!) At least Jaylen & Rozier have continued the gains they showed in preseason.
Quote:
I meant in general (re: Draymond & batshit)

I'm reminded a little of the thing that wrestlers knew about promos, how you don't bury the guy you're going to beat 'cause it makes you look like you didn't do anything.

For DG to try to smack talk about the D of a team that you just gave up more points than ...
I think Draymond said the quote either in the offseason or during last year's playoffs, and opening night they were still winning comfortably when he left with a knee sprain. But I have no problem with D'Antoni needling him - if I coached/played against Draymond I'd 100% try to get under his skin too so he does something dumb.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #40
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I think Draymond said the quote either in the offseason or during last year's playoffs, and opening night they were still winning comfortably when he left with a knee sprain. But I have no problem with D'Antoni needling him - if I coached/played against Draymond I'd 100% try to get under his skin too so he does something dumb.

My fault for assuming the quote was current.

And your other point is well taken.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #41
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
My fault for assuming the quote was current.

And your other point is well taken.

It all started when D'Antoni was talking about how the new look Houston and Golden State couldnt stop each other and how it would be a fun game.

Being a defensive person I am sure Draymond took offense to that comment and made that quote in response to D'Antoni.

Personally, I think D'Antoni probably isnt even aware of how efficient that the Warriors defense is which is sad when you are a NBA coach. He would strike me as the old school guy that only looks at points per game to make his conclusion.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #42
Groundhog
Coordinator

Knicks rookie Ntilikina looking like he needs a couple of months in the G-League... First two shots airballs, and coughs up an awful turnover.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #43
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Sixers looked pretty good today, they should be entertaining to watch those 20-odd games today's starting 5 play together...

Fultz looked better today than the preseason games I watched, but still drives right to left and spins every single time he gets the ball. Simmons looked like RotY, super excited to see what he can do for Aussie basketball.

Fultz better get 475,000% better on defense and do it soon. Wall was salivating every time Fultz got switched onto him. He scored 10 points in 18 minutes and was still a -18. Also, how is it possible for his FT form to be that bad?

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 10-19-2017 at 09:25 PM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #44
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Fultz better get 475,000% better on defense and do it soon. Wall was salivating every time Fultz got switched onto him. He scored 10 points in 18 minutes and was still a -18. Also, how is it possible for his FT form to be that bad?

Yeah no doubt. He wasn't good (and if there was a re-draft would even go in the top 5?), but he wasn't as terrible as he looked preseason.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:05 PM   #45
Groundhog
Coordinator

"Positionless" is usually a compliment, but maybe not with Ingram... still no idea what he projects to be. He isn't overly athletic, can't create good looks off the dribble, shooting stroke isn't automatic, hasn't shown many flashes of being a good defender... just seems to be lukewarm in every way.

Ball is definitely from the Westbrook school of rebounding. Good to see athletic PGs go attack the glass, it used to be a good way for less agile PGs to make a living on the defensive end (Andre Miller comes to mind) because no opposing PGs ever box out.

I'll try not to flood this thread, but with a newborn and 4 weeks parental leave, I'm watching way more live NBA than I'm used to...
Old 10-19-2017, 11:55 PM   #46
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah no doubt. He wasn't good (and if there was a re-draft would even go in the top 5?), but he wasn't as terrible as he looked preseason.
I have zero idea what's going on with Fultz's FT stroke - I assume it's partially shoulder injury related, but why would any team let him practice bad habits like that - but you really think he'd drop out of the top 5 already? Dennis Smith would go higher than #8 for sure, I'm coming around to Danny Ainge's PoV on Jayson Tatum, maybe the Lakers still felt obligated to take Ball, and Donovan Mitchell/Kyle Kuzma look much more NBA-ready, but they're much older, and Fultz has those crazy good skills for a spread pick & roll system.

I'm much more ready to write off Ingram's superstar potential. He'll have a place in the league as a rotation guy, but like you I just don't see him having the necessary athleticism to be elite. Ironically enough that was what I assumed Jayson Tatum was coming out of Duke, but he's looked much more fluid, and obviously has much more bulk to go with the same level of quickness.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-19-2017 at 11:56 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:08 AM   #47
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I have zero idea what's going on with Fultz's FT stroke - I assume it's partially shoulder injury related, but why would any team let him practice bad habits like that - but you really think he'd drop out of the top 5 already? Dennis Smith would go higher than #8 for sure, I'm coming around to Danny Ainge's PoV on Jayson Tatum, maybe the Lakers still felt obligated to take Ball, and Donovan Mitchell/Kyle Kuzma look much more NBA-ready, but they're much older, and Fultz has those crazy good skills for a spread pick & roll system.

Fultz might come around, but he's got some serious red flags... At this point I would take Tatum, Ball (despite today), Fox, and Smith over him in some order for sure, and Mitchell also most likely based on preseason. I didn't rate Jackson or Isaac before the draft, and haven't really seen anything to change that since, and would probably pick Fultz over them.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:20 AM   #48
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The highlights of Patrick Beverly giving lil' Lonzo the business were entertaining.

Hopefully there'll be 81 similar nights.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #49
Calis
College Starter

I watched the Lakers/Clippers game which was my first real experience with Lonzo.

Starting your first pro game with Beverley on you is a brutal welcoming.

He’s in a rough spot because even the plays/passes he made that were really nice end up in the hands of shitty shooters. Is he always that dead eyed(emotionally/visibly, not shooting). I couldn’t tell if that’s just him or if he was petrified.

The Thunder game I was more interested in and it had some promising moments. Hard to make too much out of it because it was the Knicks though. Westbrook seems like he will not mind sharing.

Melo and George both shot pretty bad. I have more faith in PG figuring it out than Melo but we’ll have to see.

Knicks are going to have an extremely long year.

Last edited by Calis : 10-20-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #50
MrBug708
Head Coach

Lozno is pretty devoid of emotion. A lot of his passes were great passes, where the shot was either missed or because of the spacing, another pass or two and it was made. No assist, but the play was actually executed correctly.