Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #801
Groundhog
Coordinator

I really dislike all the Drowned God stuff in the 4th book and that sorta turned me off the Iron Islands, but I sorta did a 180° on that with what goes down later.

Dorne was also a slow start for me, but there are enough interesting personalities to have eventually drawn me in.

Spoiler
Old 04-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #802
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Dorne kicks ass. Bunch of badass mother f-ers down there!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #803
Lonnie
High School Varsity

SNL Explains the nudity in Game of Thrones
Old 04-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #804
MrBug708
Head Coach

They made Yoren a pretty good badass
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #805
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quality episode tonight. Great pacing to everything.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #806
MrBug708
Head Coach

Im guessing Gendry and Arya aren't running for most of season 2 through the countryside
Old 04-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #807
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Loved it. I thought the scene with Margaery and Renly was spot-on, as was Tyrion flushing out the spy. Pretty much everything in King's Landing is fantastic.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:41 AM   #808
MrBug708
Head Coach

I dont remember a scene like that with Margaery and Renley, it left me pretty speechless.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #809
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

There wasn't a scene like that - but it did such a great job of flushing out her character in a short period of time. While she puts on a façade of airhead, she's actually quite politically savvy, and I thought that scene perfectly depicted that.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #810
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, by trimming the Arya story (not a bad choice at all IMO) they have been able to include some extra scenes for Theon (IIRC anyway - a little of the stuff with him and his family I don't recall in the books, might be my memory) as well as Margaery.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #811
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

They are streamlining the plots from the books a lot more this year- out of necessity, but it still leaves me a bit sad. I'd like to see a little more character foundation laid now for the benefit of later episodes but I understand there isn't really time to go that route. I wish they had done 12 episodes for this season, but I guess showrunners and their ilk know more about their business than I do.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #812
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbo Klice View Post
They are streamlining the plots from the books a lot more this year- out of necessity, but it still leaves me a bit sad. I'd like to see a little more character foundation laid now for the benefit of later episodes but I understand there isn't really time to go that route. I wish they had done 12 episodes for this season, but I guess showrunners and their ilk know more about their business than I do.

I wish they had done 12 episodes for this season too. Hell, I would take 16. 24!

I read an interview with one of the creators and he said because of the show's shooting schedule 10 episodes a season is all they can realistically fit in. So, we're not likely to get more than that.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #813
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The latest episode may be my favorite yet.

I hope he turns it around, but I'm starting to dislike the guy playing Baelish. I think he may be the weakest actor in the series.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #814
RendeR
Coordinator

He's not the best actor, for certain, but he IS nailing Peytr perfectly. he's a snake oil salesman, he's out for no one but himself at all times. He's playing it so well.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #815
Grover
Pro Starter

Bronn's line "There's no cure for being a ****."

Might be the greatest line in television history. No truer words.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #816
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Every time Tyrion is in a scene, its always the best scene until the next Tyrion scene. I find myself pumping my fist sometimes, its kind of goofy.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #817
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
The latest episode may be my favorite yet.

I hope he turns it around, but I'm starting to dislike the guy playing Baelish. I think he may be the weakest actor in the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
He's not the best actor, for certain, but he IS nailing Peytr perfectly. he's a snake oil salesman, he's out for no one but himself at all times. He's playing it so well.

I find the opposite to be true. I think the guy is a decent actor. Well, I only base that off his performance as Mayor Carcetti in "The Wire", where I thought he was great. I haven't loved his take on Littlefinger. I am not sure if it's his acting, the writing or a combination of the two. They have made him seem a little more twirling-the-mustache villain, as opposed to the wittier, more subtle player-behind-the-scenes - though ulitmately not all that pleasant when it comes to getting what he wants - that he was in the novel.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #818
RendeR
Coordinator

AHh see I never saw anything to like about Peytr baelish. I never saw him as all that subtle in teh books either. he always seemed a bit ham-fisted when he would make a move. A little too obvious with his choice of words, a little too smart-assy when stating his points.

His scenes just leave me feeling all oily.

I'm with Julio on Tyrion though, good god I LOVE those scenes.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #819
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Going back to my concern about Melissandre's shadow baby make people uncomforable about magic in the series, it appears that on a lot of blogs some people are starting to get nervous about the future direction of the series (as I thought people see dragons as something far different than magically created shadow children).

Spoiler
Old 04-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #820
Easy Mac

So is it safe to speculate that now that we have a smoke monster, the series will end with everyone standing in a church talking about the afterlife?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #821
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Going back to my concern about Melissandre's shadow baby make people uncomforable about magic in the series, it appears that on a lot of blogs some people are starting to get nervous about the future direction of the series (as I thought people see dragons as something far different than magically created shadow children).

Spoiler

Well, given that, for the most part, the shadow baby really isn't indicative of the future direction of the series - I don't think they have too much to worry about. The series - and presumably the show - still remains pretty low magic for the most part.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #822
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
So is it safe to speculate that now that we have a smoke monster, the series will end with everyone standing in a church talking about the afterlife?

Yeah, I have read a lot of Lost references in reviews based on the effects used.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #823
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Well, given that, for the most part, the shadow baby really isn't indicative of the future direction of the series - I don't think they have too much to worry about. The series - and presumably the show - still remains pretty low magic for the most part.

But the magic does increase.

Spoiler
Old 04-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #824
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
But the magic does increase.

Spoiler

Yeah, it does. That is the one thing that is most apparent, but I don't think it's too crazy and certainly not happening all over the place. If that is too much magic for people and the existence of dragon's isn't, then I am not sure what the tell them.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #825
MikeVic
Head Coach

Son of a bitch, this is a thread about the TV show, spoilers should only be about the TV show, I don't want to read book shit!!! Please make it obvious that a spoiler is for the book, not the TV show!!!!!!!!!!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #826
spleen1015
Coordinator

If you have read the books, please answer my question below.

Spoiler
Old 04-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #827
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Son of a bitch, this is a thread about the TV show, spoilers should only be about the TV show, I don't want to read book shit!!! Please make it obvious that a spoiler is for the book, not the TV show!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it's been discussed previously, but it needs to be said again. This thread fails miserably with posting noted spoilers from the books in tags. Even minor things shouldn't be posted un-spoilered.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-24-2012 at 10:36 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #828
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Spoiler

Spoiler

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-24-2012 at 10:44 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #829
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

Spoiler

Yes.

Spoiler
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #830
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

... wouldn't it be the same thing? Spoiler for the TV show would necessarily be something that came from the book.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #831
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Spoiler

My response is from the books:

Spoiler
Old 04-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #832
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
... wouldn't it be the same thing? Spoiler for the TV show would necessarily be something that came from the book.

No, if you have watched all the episodes TV show spoilers don't apply and are safe for discussion. Which is why this thread is for the TV show and not books/show.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-24-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #833
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

But once the show airs, there are no TV show spoilers. Not really.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #834
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Unless it just aired you haven't watched it? Granted I generally avoid these threads altogether until I'm caught up. But I believe this is how the dynamic works in other TV threads.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #835
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

In every other TV thread open spoilers are fair game once an episode airs. I know to avoid the Mad Men thread until I've caught up, for example.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #836
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
I find the opposite to be true. I think the guy is a decent actor. Well, I only base that off his performance as Mayor Carcetti in "The Wire", where I thought he was great. I haven't loved his take on Littlefinger. I am not sure if it's his acting, the writing or a combination of the two. They have made him seem a little more twirling-the-mustache villain, as opposed to the wittier, more subtle player-behind-the-scenes - though ulitmately not all that pleasant when it comes to getting what he wants - that he was in the novel.

Yup, pretty much exactly this. He seems to have had too many scenes in which he's being made to look foolish (Cersei, his plea to Cat in the last episode), and I'm wondering if it's not intentional.

Edit: He seems to be overdoing it in these scenes, is what I'm trying to say.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 04-24-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #837
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Is it that hard to just put "Book Spoiler" before the spoiler tag? I get that you "shouldn't have to" but it seems a pretty simple courtesy, and was why I avoided this thread until I had actually read the books between seasons.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #838
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
In every other TV thread open spoilers are fair game once an episode airs. I know to avoid the Mad Men thread until I've caught up, for example.

I'm not talking about the spoilers for the show, I mean I clicked on the Spoilers tag and it had stuff from the book that had not aired yet. I have not read the second book yet, and so this is a big pissoff.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #839
chadritt
High School Varsity

Im confused, whats the difference between reading what happens in the book and reading whats going to happen in the show? Theyre pretty similar as far as I know.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #840
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm not talking about the spoilers for the show, I mean I clicked on the Spoilers tag and it had stuff from the book that had not aired yet. I have not read the second book yet, and so this is a big pissoff.

I think you have a valid point here. If I were you, I would just avoid clicking any spoiler buttons.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #841
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Im confused, whats the difference between reading what happens in the book and reading whats going to happen in the show? Theyre pretty similar as far as I know.

I, too, am a bit confused at this. If you haven't read book two yet, you shouldn't be clicking on any spoiler tags! That's just asking for it!

Still, it's an easy enough thing to do, adding "Book Spoilers", so I shall.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #842
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I, too, am a bit confused at this. If you haven't read book two yet, you shouldn't be clicking on any spoiler tags! That's just asking for it!

This is a thread for the TV series!! There is another thread for the books! Whatever, I thought it was normal to separate things but I'll just avoid the thread.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #843
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
This is a thread for the TV series!! There is another thread for the books! Whatever, I thought it was normal to separate things but I'll just avoid the thread.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #844
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I believed the point of having the spoiler tags in this thread is so people can discuss the differences between the show & books or have a tangential discussion on the books.

Stop trying to segregate us
Old 04-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #845
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And let's be honest, this thread was started by people who had seen the books and heard there would be a TV show and then speculation on casting, etc, etc. And the first posts after the 1st few eps was about how a certain character was casted compared to the books. Then spoiler boxes started to be used so that people could talk about book stuff as compared to stuff shown on the show.

It's never been seperate.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #846
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Well, this gets into another long-debated issue with TV threads here at FOFC. Over the years we have failed to reach consensus as to whether you need to spoiler tag things from just-aired episodes. I would assume this is why someone who was all caught up on the show would click a spoiler tag.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #847
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Let's just add "BOOK SPOILER" before any discussions of book-spoilery stuff.

But to be safe, people can always ask about a particular spoiler-box if they want.

And sorry MikeVic - don't leave us!
Old 04-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #848
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Book 2? Try the series. I'm halfway through book 3 and I need to dodge them.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #849
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post

Quote:

I'm confused.. what do you expect to be in the spoiler tag besides things that will provide spoilers? Who cares if its from the book, internet speculation, being present on the set or where ever it comes from?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #850
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie