Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #901
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 05-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #902
JPhillips
General Manager

I really didn't like this week's episode. I thought the direction was bad throughout. The killing if the Septon was silly and unbelievable, the rubbing on Jon Snow was overdone, the death of Amory was completely ridiculous, and the separation of the Night's Watch wasn't at all believable.

I didn't see the name of the director, but I wasn't at all impressed.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #903
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Really? While I think that some of your gripes have some merit (Amory Lorch's death was sort of lame), I think that the Septon in particular was pretty candid. That whole scene is important to set the tone for what it's really like in King's Landing right now, with the peasants in an extreme state of discontent and most of the nobles finally starting to realize that they're in a pretty tenuous situation. Separation of the Night's Watch I think was pretty spot on - they're not going to wait for Jon Snow, and I think the show needs to do the same thing with setting the tone for the wild lands beyond the wall. So far all we've seen is beautiful landscape...it's time to start realizing that the land out there is dangerous.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #904
Grover
Pro Starter

I thought the scenes between Tywin and Arya were fantastic, especially the one with Baelish.

And for those of you who haven't read the books... who do you think stole the dragons? My money is on the warlock.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner

Last edited by Grover : 05-07-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #905
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I thought the scenes between Tywin and Arya were fantastic, especially the one with Baelish.

And for those of you who haven't read the books... who do you think stole the dragons? My money is on the warlock.

Me, too.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #906
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Considering the stealing of the dragons isn't in the books, I imagine book readers can get in on it as well .
Old 05-08-2012, 04:04 AM   #907
whomario
Pro Starter

Quick question as i donīt quite remember : Were both Aryaīs and Sansaīs Wolves killed in season 1 ?

actually i thought that the pacing was pretty good. Sure it all was rather sudden, but i think weīve got to accept this as nescessary (they donīt have the time for transitional scenes) and overall i thought the episode brought across itīs point : The shit is hitting the fan, now.

No idea if itīs in the books but sending Bran on the road is a nice idea. Will be interesting if and when he catches up with Robb and company (he wouldnīt possibly go to Jon at the Wall, would he ?)
Couldnīt this "road trip" be a good way to introduce some backstory that might be missing? Maybe have them meet someone with knowledge who then proceeds to tell Bran.

The scene of Bran waking up to see Theon there was pretty cool i thought.

Boy, Theon really didnīt think this thing through ...

As for Arya : I strongly assume that Littlefinger/Baelish recognized her (or suspects itīs her and asks around to confirm), that should be interesting. She still has a death available, hmm ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-08-2012 at 04:38 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #908
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Really? While I think that some of your gripes have some merit (Amory Lorch's death was sort of lame), I think that the Septon in particular was pretty candid. That whole scene is important to set the tone for what it's really like in King's Landing right now, with the peasants in an extreme state of discontent and most of the nobles finally starting to realize that they're in a pretty tenuous situation. Separation of the Night's Watch I think was pretty spot on - they're not going to wait for Jon Snow, and I think the show needs to do the same thing with setting the tone for the wild lands beyond the wall. So far all we've seen is beautiful landscape...it's time to start realizing that the land out there is dangerous.

The killing of the Septon wasn't my problem. I didn't like the way it was done. The way the group closed around him looked terrible.

As for the Night's Watch separation, I just didn't believe they would never even look back for Snow. They're still looking for Benjen, but a new "ranger" falls behind and they just let him die? That's a scene where the compression of events just doesn't work for me.

On a positive note, I really liked the Theon scenes.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #909
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
As for the Night's Watch separation, I just didn't believe they would never even look back for Snow. They're still looking for Benjen, but a new "ranger" falls behind and they just let him die? That's a scene where the compression of events just doesn't work for me.

How do you figure thatīs the case ? That they werenīt looking for him ? Because they didnīt find him by episodeīs end ? (i suppose that might be what you mean by compression though, so my question might be pretty dumb in itself )

I think the series has adapted the books approach of PoV characters in a way. So to show the other rangers looking for him would be sth that would be totally against the grain of how the scenes are chosen/set up in all episodes so far. Once Snow is seperated from them i really donīt see any reason to show the other guys.

(Entirely possible that i missed sth here or misplace stuff in my memory as i watched it pretty late last night and have had an entertaining day at work so far, to put it mildly)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-08-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #910
whomario
Pro Starter

I have to say that iīm at a point where i almost wish that sth else would happen off-screen and thatīs everything to do with Danaerys. Especially if the dragons are gone for a while (along with the hot servant/maid, who is dead now )

Itīs propably irational but to me it feels like wasted time right now and the character is so delusional (especially aparent with her advisor propably off looking for a ship or sth this episode) and really kind of annoying.

In season 1 there was still the sort-of-connection due to the question of "will they or wonīt they cross over at wreak havoc" and the Westeros character actually caring about if they do or donīt (and sending assasins over and stuff). But now itīs just so isolated from everything else and so different in terms of looks and characters. Have they even acknowledged the civil war going on in Westeros btw ?
Of course one could argue that the jolly adventures of Jon in the snow are also isolated from everything, but it doesnīt feel that way because the series early on put the emphasis on the north and the whole "Winter is coming".

EDIT : Since some people were wondering about characters that were missing : Game of Thrones: Features - Interview with David Benioff and Dan Weiss

Quote:

David.—and I don’t think anyone else asks viewers to process so many storylines and characters. And also one thing to keep in mind is that there are characters in the second book who don’t appear this season, but are coming in later. It’s just about so many new characters introduced in the second season, so we saved some for the next season. They aren’t being omitted, they’re just being delayed.
Dan: A lot of it is just where does somebody really become central to the story, and we can’t afford to have people waiting around for their story to start.

Last edited by whomario : 05-08-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #911
JPhillips
General Manager

I can't believe I forgot the single worst moment in last weeks episode, Theon's snort as Osha was leaving the bed. That was a really hackish director choice.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #912
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Quick question as i donīt quite remember : Were both Aryaīs and Sansaīs Wolves killed in season 1 ?

Arya's wolf, Nymeria, wasn't killed. Arya and Jory threw rocks at her and drove her off to keep her away so that she wouldn't be killed. She's still out there in the forest running wild.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #913
spleen1015
Coordinator

I agree with the sentiment that this week's episode wasn't as good as the rest. I'm starting to feel like Season 2 has moved too far away from the books and I don't think I like the changes so much.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #914
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:

Arya sent her wolf away in the woods, cuz she knew they would probably kill it... So they killed Sansa's wolf instead....
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #915
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
As for the Night's Watch separation, I just didn't believe they would never even look back for Snow. They're still looking for Benjen, but a new "ranger" falls behind and they just let him die?

That whole scene was wonky. Like, when the watch leader decided they had to kill the woman, and he was going to do it, he was going to chop off her head right then and there, but then when John Snow said he was going to do it, everyone apparently had to immediately leave the area, make sure he wasn't visible, and give him a few hours slack to work with. Doesn't make much sense in the first place, but as you noted, it seems REALLY stupid for a supposed group of hardened warriors who spend the majority of their time discussing not making exactly those kind of stupid decisions.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #916
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
That whole scene was wonky. Like, when the watch leader decided they had to kill the woman, and he was going to do it, he was going to chop off her head right then and there, but then when John Snow said he was going to do it, everyone apparently had to immediately leave the area, make sure he wasn't visible, and give him a few hours slack to work with. Doesn't make much sense in the first place, but as you noted, it seems REALLY stupid for a supposed group of hardened warriors who spend the majority of their time discussing not making exactly those kind of stupid decisions.

It was one thing that I felt like was handled much better in the book. I avoid spending too much time comparing scenes and characters in the show and books, but I always thought that Qhorin Halfhand was one of the cooler characters and, at least so far, I am not a huge fan of what they've done with him.

In some instances, like Yoren or Margery Tyrell, for example, I like the character in the show better than the original. Qhorin, so far, not so much.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #917
spleen1015
Coordinator

I just realized that the actress that plays Cersei played Sarah Connor on the Terminator tv show.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #918
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I just realized that the actress that plays Cersei played Sarah Connor on the Terminator tv show.

And Leonidas' wife in 300.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #919
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
And Leonidas' wife in 300.

Isn't it funny you never connect these things till someone points it out? I also just saw her yesterday in an old(er) movie called "Gossip." Took me five minutes before I could pin-point who she was.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #920
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Isn't it funny you never connect these things till someone points it out? I also just saw her yesterday in an old(er) movie called "Gossip." Took me five minutes before I could pin-point who she was.

It only crossed my mind because right before I posted this I started watching Terminator 3 on tv. That got me thinking about the tv show and it hit me, Sarah Connor on the show looks like Cersei with dark hair. Then I had to look it up.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #921
Groundhog
Coordinator

Finally caught up last night. Wow. I kinda like being caught offguard by scenes that aren't in the books TBH, and I think they are doing it for the right reasons - to hurry certain plot lines along. Arya and Daenerys are my two least favourite characters in the books and while Daenerys still doesn't grab me much in the show, I'm really enjoying Arya-Tywin.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #922
Grover
Pro Starter

Watched Batman Begins early this morning. I had to laugh at Joffrey being in it.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:08 AM   #923
Grover
Pro Starter

Hell of an episode...

Old 05-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #924
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Hell of an episode...

Hell yeah.

The scene with Jaime and the cousin in the pen was great.

I think the weakest part of the season (so far) is the Jon Snow stuff. And frankly I'm not sure I like the fact that it's being changed from the book as much as it has been (with regard to Qhorin and how Jon gets himself in with the wildlings).
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #925
cschex
High School Varsity

I'm glad the Karstark storyline wasn't cut out, only delayed a season.

I'm interested to see where the go with Jon the rest of the season. So far it seems like the changes have been made primarily to get Ygritte more screen time this season, which is not a good enough reason for me.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #926
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I haven't yet seen this week's episode or last week's (I gave up TV for a week). I'm looking forward to catching up this week.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #927
Logan
Head Coach

Just want to be clear...this thread talks exclusively about the TV show, with no (unspoilered) book references? I've been scared to open it up.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #928
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Just want to be clear...this thread talks exclusively about the TV show, with no (unspoilered) book references? I've been scared to open it up.

People have been putting even past events in the book in spoiler tags - e.g., events that have already happened in the show but just happened differently in the books.

So, yeah, it's pretty safe to read this thread.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #929
Logan
Head Coach

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #930
whomario
Pro Starter

Does anybody really believe that Bran and the other kid are dead ? One thing that imo is and will be a constant to the series will be that people about to die get a last "showcase" to sort of shows the essence of what they are and represent.

I am curious about Jamie though for exactly that reason, but i could very well see Robb rushing in at the last seconds to prevent her from killing him (he was supposed to return "tonight", right ?)

I loved his speech though. Sure heīs an asshole, but thereīs a reason why he is (and no, not the many vows that confuse him) and under other circumstances propably could have made just another slightly amoral but ultimately respected knight/man.

Agree that the Jon Snow scenes were boring, not even many great landscape shots to compensate

I liked the twist in the dragon kidnapping, although i actually kind of suspected the big dude to turn out shady eventually (what with Daenerys basically refusing to give him what he wants, spent all last and this episode wondering why heīs even still helping her)

Why did they let them flee though ?

I also really loved the scene with Cercei and Tyrion, the lines about Joffreys madness as consequence of her and her brother needed to be said and iīm glad sheīs the one saying them.

So many great scenes ... Arya and Tywin as well, although i was slightly put off by here reacting so collected to the sound of people dying because of her.

Question : Did anybody catch what Theonīs first mate found/crumbled in his fingers ? Was it walnuts ? Didnīt get or understood that at all

Last edited by whomario : 05-14-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #931
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Question : Did anybody catch what Theonīs first mate found/crumbled in his fingers ? Was it walnuts ? Didnīt get or understood that at all

It was a crushed walnut. Rickon had been crushing them and eating them along with Hodor. They showed Rickon crack one and share it with Hordor during the scene with Bran, Rickon, Hodor and Osha. It was a trail they were following and Dagmar foudn one inside the farm.

They also had a scene an episode or two ago where Rickon was smashing walnuts with a rock while Bran was meeting with various people. Smashing walnuts is apparently Rickon's "thing". It's good to have a "thing".
Old 05-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #932
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I liked the twist in the dragon kidnapping, although i actually kind of suspected the big dude to turn out shady eventually (what with Daenerys basically refusing to give him what he wants, spent all last and this episode wondering why heīs even still helping her)

Why did they let them flee though ?

they still have her dragons. where is she gonna go?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #933
Groundhog
Coordinator

Loved the episode, and yeah, Arya-Tywin continues to be a highlight for me. I'm a little disappointed that we haven't seen Stannis-Davos in awhile though, but we will soon enough.

Spoiler
Old 05-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #934
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Loved the episode, and yeah, Arya-Tywin continues to be a highlight for me. I'm a little disappointed that we haven't seen Stannis-Davos in awhile though, but we will soon enough.

We need more naked Melissandre (minus pregnant with shadow demons).

Old 05-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #935
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

Just to retouch on the wonkiness of the way this whole storyline has been handled/presented, I bet his trials over the last few days have Jon Snow wishing he owned one of them there direwolves....
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #936
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Last night Lady H_B and I were catching up on the last few "Parks and Recreation".

There was a scene in the last episode where Andy was trying to brainstorm a list of "dream jobs" and places where he like to live, he had "Winterfell" listed as his first choice.

Yet another great "Game of Thrones" reference.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #937
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Last night Lady H_B and I were catching up on the last few "Parks and Recreation".

There was a scene in the last episode where Andy was trying to brainstorm a list of "dream jobs" and places where he like to live, he had "Winterfell" listed as his first choice.

Yeah. Love the references being thrown around in shows. When one of Tracy's entourage yelled "They killed Eddard!" on 30 Rock, I literally did a spit take.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #938
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I haven't been watching the OtakuASSEMBLE reviews by Larry Williams this year...need to do that.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #939
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

He's clearly an idiot, then. Winterfell's been very very bad for people's health.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #940
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Yeah. Love the references being thrown around in shows. When one of Tracy's entourage yelled "They killed Eddard!" on 30 Rock, I literally did a spit take.

yeah, we were watching that and I laughed. my wife was like "who"? We're planning to start watching the series soon so I just pretended I didn't hear her.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #941
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thank god someone edited the thread title
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #942
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

from?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #943
cuervo72
Head Coach

Heh.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #944
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh. We still have two threads about the same thing.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #945
MrBug708
Head Coach

Solid episode with a bit of everything
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #946
Grover
Pro Starter

Good build up to what I'm sure is going to be an insane last two episodes.

Jaqen (sp?) is just awesome.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #947
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Oh. We still have two threads about the same thing.

No. One is about the books, the other the TV show.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #948
Swaggs
Coordinator

As a non-reader, I thought that episode was one of the best.

There are very few story lines that are not interesting to me at this point. The stuff that was slow for me for much of the season (camp life for Robb, the Jon Snow stuff, Bran's storyline) has all picked up.

The Arya stuff has been great all season, as has Tyrion's, but almost everything is getting to that point now. Looking forward to seeing how it all shakes out (and then missing it for another 8-months or so).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #949
Logan
Head Coach

Really enjoyed it as well, but I'm also really surprised that the writers/director had the burnt children storyline play out like that. It seemed so obvious that those were the orphans, and to have it be the big reveal at the end that the kids were still alive seemed kinda funny to me. Definitely a misstep.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #950
Jas_lov
College Starter

We don't like the Daenerys storyline. How many times can she shout, "I AM THE MOTHER OF DRAGONS!" Just give her the dragons and have her go on her way. That's been a low point of this season. At least they only had one scene in this week's episode.

Arya/Tywin , Tyrion/Cersei and Bran/Theon are the best storylines. Robb and Jon Snow are ok. I agree about the burnt children. Nobody thought they were Bran and Rickon so they shouldn't have highlighted that at the end of the previous episode. They didn't fool anybody.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 05-21-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote