Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-18-2007, 10:58 PM   #801
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. 7/10

I really didn't like the first one much, and I wasn't expecting anything from the second. However, it was a fun popcorn movie - much better than the original. As a Marvel comics purist, I didn't like what they did with Galactus -- but other than that, it's been the best comic book movie of the summer so far. Note: Ordinarily, I think Jessica Alba is a total hottie! However, I didn't think she looked good in this movie at all.

ive only seen the comercials, but i totaly agree with the Alba comment. they took all that is sexy about Alba (sexy Latina) and tried to turn her into some playboy model (bottle blonde and blue eyes). jeez i like Abla because she isnt some dime-a-dozen blonde

Last edited by bulletsponge : 06-18-2007 at 10:59 PM.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:07 PM   #802
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. 7/10

I really didn't like the first one much, and I wasn't expecting anything from the second. However, it was a fun popcorn movie - much better than the original. As a Marvel comics purist, I didn't like what they did with Galactus -- but other than that, it's been the best comic book movie of the summer so far. Note: Ordinarily, I think Jessica Alba is a total hottie! However, I didn't think she looked good in this movie at all.

I thought the first movie was terrible and I'm shocked they even made a sequel, but I have to admit that the commercials for the new one look pretty good. Didn't even realise that Galactus was in it (though probably should have, considering the Surfer is...), but I'm a little afraid to see what they did with him...
Old 06-18-2007, 11:36 PM   #805
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Knowing Mel, and his psychotically Catholic leanings, how could that ending signify anything other than "saving" the poor natives after the rest of the movie butchered who they were and set them up and indistinguishably stupid savages who would have just killed each other off if not for the blessed hope on the boat?

I think you got it basically exactly wrong. The Mayans (in the movie) were basically fighting a war within themselves, and the boats represented the way bigger issue at hand. There was nothing but a sense of dread at the end of the movie... this guy had just made a miraculous escape to save himself and his family, and now he knew the end was definitely there. They would more or less have to spend the rest of their lives running.

I think Mel was trying to say something about our priorities in America, telling us whatever we're currently focused on, whoever we're currently fighting, is the wrong issue. The movie was endlessly referenced as a social/political commentary. I think if you're going to assign meaning to it, it's vital to do it that way rather than view it as some sort of Mel commentary on history.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:14 AM   #806
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Knowing Mel, and his psychotically Catholic leanings, how could that ending signify anything other than "saving" the poor natives after the rest of the movie butchered who they were and set them up and indistinguishably stupid savages who would have just killed each other off if not for the blessed hope on the boat?

Yeah, you are definately reading your own biases into the movie.

All the ending really signified (at least for me) was the coming threat and the time period. It was the very end of the Mayans; well after the period of their greatness, well into their decline. I doubt anyone who saw the Mayan city in all its splendor would have considered them to be "indistinguishably stupid savages".

If anything that boat was far, far, far from hope and more like dread. The protagonist saves his family, but everyone knows what the Spanish boats mean. Death, destruction, and slavery on an unprecidented level (the Mayans and Aztecs were chump change compared to the Spanish). Nothing even close to resembling hope.

I'm not sure how you completely got the opposite from the intended effect.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #807
Lorena
Unregistered

I hope you guys don't mind, but I'll be posting some tv shows we've been renting from Netflix:

Band of Brothers
9.8/10

When Antmeister suggested we rent this, I wasn't sure, but after watching the first episode I was hooked. This mini-series originally aired on HBO tells the story of Easy Company and their experiences during WWII. Great acting, directing, cinematography, sound, everything was phenomenal. Do yourself a favor and rent this.. not just for entertainment purposes.

Dead Like Me, Season 1
8.8/10

Georgia Lass goes out to lunch and as she looks up at the sky, she gets hit by a toilet that fell from a Russian spacecraft and dies. She becomes a grim reaper and is asked to take people's souls via a yellow sticky note. People die in every single episode and some of the deaths are just ridiculous. Like the guy that slipped on a banana peel by a revolving door and gets his head crushed; or the guy who comes in to change the water bottle in a cooler when he slips only to have the water bottle fall on top of him.

Pure ridiculousness. The first 2-3 episodes were just okay, but it really took off afterward. This was originally aired on Showtime.

Lost - Season 1
9.8/10

It's Lost Season 1... c'mon.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #808
MikeVic
Head Coach

Not a movie I watched, but movie-related...

I like when Blockbuster and other video rental places have previously viewed movies on sale for dirt cheap. I went to rent Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang (I think Shorty said it was one of his favourite movies of the past few years, and I wanted to watch it for awhile before reading that)... and they had some 4-for-$20 deal.

I ended up picking up Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, Munich, Syriana, and some Russian movie (I think?) that sounded like it had a cool story on the back, and had the approval of Tarantino. lol. Good deals.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #809
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Finally went to Pirates of the Caribbean 3 last night.

I agree the special effects were incredible, but I was fairly disappointed with the rest.

I really liked the first 2 especially the way the characters interacted. In the 3rd, they seamed to say the heck with it, we will just have everyone try to screw everyone else. I know in the first 2 everyone had their own agenda and that was part of the movies charm, but it seems to me they went too far in the the 3rd.

Instead of letting the movie flow everything was over done, trying to top the last one (a very common problem with sequels).

Spoiler

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #810
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer 5/10

Ok, well I didn't like the first one, had low expectations going into this one... I really felt like the first 20 minutes of the movie could have been condensed a lot more. Maybe it's just me, but I don't care about the wedding stuff. I know it needs to be in there for story and all, but it seemed so forced and strung out. Some of the special effects were cool, but I don't think I got my $6.50 worth. If this would have been a netflix rental it would have probably been rated higher since it wouldn't have cost me as much... All the cool silver surfer moments were in the previews... Could have watched those a few times and been more satisfied.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:35 PM   #811
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post

Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 06-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #812
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler

Louis D. Brandeis
Old 06-21-2007, 01:44 PM   #813
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 06-21-2007, 01:45 PM   #814
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Hey, you two should get a room.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #815
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Hey, you two should get a room.

Spoiler
Old 06-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #816
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Spoiler

I'm strangely aroused by the spoiler button.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #817
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Louis D. Brandeis
Old 06-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #818
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
I hope you guys don't mind, but I'll be posting some tv shows we've been renting from Netflix:

Band of Brothers
9.8/10

When Antmeister suggested we rent this, I wasn't sure, but after watching the first episode I was hooked. This mini-series originally aired on HBO tells the story of Easy Company and their experiences during WWII. Great acting, directing, cinematography, sound, everything was phenomenal. Do yourself a favor and rent this.. not just for entertainment purposes.

Dead Like Me, Season 1
8.8/10

Georgia Lass goes out to lunch and as she looks up at the sky, she gets hit by a toilet that fell from a Russian spacecraft and dies. She becomes a grim reaper and is asked to take people's souls via a yellow sticky note. People die in every single episode and some of the deaths are just ridiculous. Like the guy that slipped on a banana peel by a revolving door and gets his head crushed; or the guy who comes in to change the water bottle in a cooler when he slips only to have the water bottle fall on top of him.

Pure ridiculousness. The first 2-3 episodes were just okay, but it really took off afterward. This was originally aired on Showtime.

Lost - Season 1
9.8/10

It's Lost Season 1... c'mon.

As someone who owns all of those sets, good choices.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:01 PM   #819
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 06-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #820
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Louis D. Brandeis
Old 06-21-2007, 02:58 PM   #821
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Discussion of Pirates 3 (to help people see what they may be spoiled about)...
Spoiler

Spoiler
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #822
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler

Louis D. Brandeis
Old 06-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #825
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Spoiler

Do you have a transcript of that anywhere? I don't remember it being in the movie.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:53 PM   #826
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Do you have a transcript of that anywhere? I don't remember it being in the movie.

I missed it too.

Louis D. Brandeis
Old 06-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #827
Blade6119
Coordinator

count me as missing it well
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #828
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Add to another who missed it. I don't recall it being in there... but I know there has been speculation that that was the case. Not sure where it came from.

Spoiler

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-21-2007 at 05:59 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #829
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I missed the end of Pirates 3 , after the credits... can you find it on youtube or any other site? I tried but can't
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:14 PM   #830
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl View Post
I missed the end of Pirates 3 , after the credits... can you find it on youtube or any other site? I tried but can't

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsZdJPSlBD0
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:18 AM   #832
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Spoiler tag going back in.
Quote:
It happened during one of the conversations with Calypso. I understood it perfectly and found the after credit scene predictable because of it.

I'd still like to see any kind of youtube video or transcript (even in discussion) of this dialog.

Spoiler

And the after credit scene was predictable with or without the dialog.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:26 AM   #833
st.cronin
General Manager

Queen Margot Ugh, totally incomprehensible. Its a biopic of Henry IVs wife, and there's lots of sex and violence and some violent sex thrown in as well. The story made no sense to me, although I'm not particularly familiar with the history. I also recently watched an Eric Rohmer film and Indochine, and I don't know what the hell I was thinking renting all these french films. They've all been terrible.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:47 AM   #834
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
and I don't know what the hell I was thinking renting all these french films. They've all been terrible.

because your gay?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:10 AM   #835
Lorena
Unregistered

Cars
8.5/10

Lightning McQueen gets stranded in Radiator Springs where he finds true friends. The more I watched the movie the more I appreciated the hard work that was put into making the 3D moving animation. Cool story, we all enjoyed it.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:23 AM   #836
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Cars
8.5/10

Lightning McQueen gets stranded in Radiator Springs where he finds true friends.

I wish my car would get stranded in radiator springs....I'd be willing to drive one of it's true friends at this point...I guess that's neither here nor there.

(Just kidding, Red Rocket....don't die on me tomorrow en route to work!!!)
Old 06-22-2007, 07:47 AM   #837
Butter
Coordinator

Evan Almighty

Your standard warm and fuzzy, inoffensive, mildly amusing, completely predictable, family friendly Hollywood blockbuster comedy. The "rude humor" in it is barely rude at all, and this movie could easily have gotten a G rating. I enjoyed how much my kids liked it, and I laughed a couple of times... but it wasn't all that great.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:03 AM   #838
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Evan Almighty

Your standard warm and fuzzy, inoffensive, mildly amusing, completely predictable, family friendly Hollywood blockbuster comedy. The "rude humor" in it is barely rude at all, and this movie could easily have gotten a G rating. I enjoyed how much my kids liked it, and I laughed a couple of times... but it wasn't all that great.

I liked it slightly more than you did, but your description pretty much nails it. I wish they hadn't shown the boat in the flood during previews, took away what little suspense there was for how it would end.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #839
bob
College Starter

Slightly off topic, but has anyone seen the BBC America miniseries "The State Within"? If so, any reviews?

I have a gift card to burn at blockbuster and was looking at ordering this, but would like to hear from someone who has seen it.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:21 PM   #840
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Once - probably the best movie I've seen yet this year. Low budget Irish indie film about an Irish musician and a Czech girl he meets. It's a borderline musical in the respect that a lot of screen time is dedicated to them composing/performing songs, but for me it worked incredibly well. Maybe a bit of a music-heavy version of Before Sunrise.

I guess 4 of 5 stars at least. Really enjoyed it a great deal.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #842
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 06-23-2007, 12:37 PM   #844
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Spoiler

Here is the whole conversation in that scene. I guess I still don't see it.

Spoiler
Old 06-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #845
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Can I rate a trailer?

The movie- The Ten. Directed by David Wain, looks amazing- it is an independent release, so I don't think it'll make it to where I am but I can't wait to see this. I give the the trailer, and the teaser each a 10/10.

thetenmovie.com is the website.

Looks similar to Wet Hot American Summer which I found to be one of the funniest movies I've seen.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #846
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Proposition. 8/10

This movie came out in 2005 (I think). It's a Western set in the Australia outback. It's got a very solid cast including Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone, and Emily Watson.

It's a very raw, gritty, brutal western (similar to "The Unforgiven"). The music is great and was done by Nick Cave (of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds). Cave also wrote the script.

For anyone who likes westerns, it's definitely worth seeing. The scenery is beautiful, if not desolate, and the Outback itself plays a big a role in the film as any character. The performances are very solid across the board, in particular Winstone.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #847
Johnny93g
College Starter

Evan Almighty 4/10

Not really much going on. An interesting concept, somewhat entertaining. Can't say i remember any jokes or LOL moments from the movie at all. The fat assistant to Steve Carrel was the best part of the movie, next to Lauren Graham. She is hot in it.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #848
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Slightly off topic, but has anyone seen the BBC America miniseries "The State Within"? If so, any reviews?

I have a gift card to burn at blockbuster and was looking at ordering this, but would like to hear from someone who has seen it.

I have it sitting on my TiVo, and have heardd that the first of the three episodes is one of the best hours ever on television, and that it's okay from there on. I intend to give it a watch when I get home and settled back in.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:44 PM   #849
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I have it sitting on my TiVo, and have heardd that the first of the three episodes is one of the best hours ever on television, and that it's okay from there on. I intend to give it a watch when I get home and settled back in.

If you have a chance, please review once you get around to watching it.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:55 PM   #850
rowech
Pro Starter

1408 -- 9/10

My heart raced for an hour non-stop in this movie. Cusack (who I normally hate) was very good.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote