Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

In Search of Glee: The Woeful Clippers' Climb To Greatness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kBMuUcqhPc

Los Angeles Clippers' fans are eternal Beths, watching as their stars go and play elsewhere, thanks to a stingy, un-Sterlng owner. Left alone and seeing the Lakers win title after title, fan after fan.

Enter into this equation yours truly, to bring the Red and White to not only relevance, but championship greatness. All while dealing with Donald Sterling. Yeah.

That said there's some talent on this roster. Baron Davis can still bring it, Blake Griffin is the future, and Chris Kaman is better than I thought.

But I'm not wild about some of the other pieces, so it's time to hit phones.

Los Angeles Clippers receive
SF Nicolas Batum
PF Fabrico Oberto

Portland Trailblazers receive
SF Al-Farouq Aminu

What this means for the Clippers
Los Angeles and new GM Izulde Jestor wanted a more well-rounded SF, so they grab the French Batum to take over at the 3. Oberto was a tiny expiring thrown in to make salaries match.

What this means for the Trailblazers
Odd choice for a Portland team relying on veteran players to get with the less polished Aminu, but once he develops, the trio of Aminu/Lamarcus Aldridge/Greg Oden means opposing teams will find it very difficult to grab any rebounds.

Winner: Clippers
Los Angeles is doing its best to position itself as a playoff hopeful in a power-packed West, while still staying young. At just a year's difference between the two main players, they've done just that.

We'll try that and see how it goes.

Opening Night Lineup
PG Baron Davis
SG Eric Gordon
SF Nicolas Batum
PF Blake Griffin
C Chris Kaman

Fantastic opening night win over the Lakers, 106-99. Baron Davis goes off for 28 points and 10 assists, and Ryan Gomes and Craig Smith, who I have no idea who they are, score 15 and 11 bench points.

124-107 win over the Nuggets, keyed by Blake Griffin's 24 points and 9 rebounds, Eric Gordon's 27 points, Chris Kaman's 17 points and 10 rebounds, and 13 and 12 bench points from Rasaul Butler and Ryan Gomes.

Doubleheader = 112-88 loss to the Jazz next night. 10 points, 14 rebounds Chris Kaman our lone highlight in a bad performance.

Revenge is sweet in a 109-82 de-stringing of the Jazz a couple nights later. Eric Gordon lights up for 24 points, Craig Smith grabs 14 bench points and 8 bench points, and Rasaul Butler scores 10 second unit points of his own.

Blake Griffin beasts for 23 points and 13 rebounds and Baron Davis puts up 16 points and 10 assists as we stun the Lakers 90-88. If you'd told me before the season we'd beat our archrivals the first two times we played them, I'd have called you madder than a house of hatters.

All five starters scoring 11+ points, led by Blake Griffin's 17 points and 15 rebounds, Chris Kaman's 12 points, 14 rebounds, and Baron Davis's 18 points and 10 assists, and we're looking at a 114-101 win over the Rockets. Bonus points from Craig Smith (11) and Rasual Butler (10).

...Great. Baron Davis and Craig Smith are fighting. Let's nip this one in the bud.

C Ronny Turiaf
New York Knicks 2011 2nd

New York Knicks receive
PF Craig Smith
Los Angeles Clippers 2011 2nd

A possible move up in the second round for a bigger, more ball-secure big in Turiaf is offset by his contract, which is nearly double that of Smith's, and includes a player option for $4.3 million next season.

What this means for the Knicks
Largely a financial move to get Smith's $2.3 million expiring.

Winner: Draw
Both teams had reasons to make the deal. We're also hearing a fight between Smith and Clippers' starting PG Baron Davis prompted the deal.

I'm shocked the Mavericks are 1-4, but they're 2-4 after beating us 104-93. 14 bench points for Rasual Butler, but we largely played like crap.

96-86 loss to the Kings. Ugh. 16 points and 10 rebounds off the bench for DeAndre Jordan and the team doctor pulls me aside after the game and presents me the following news, that Baron Davis has 10 day strained knee injury and Chris Kaman and Ronny Turiaf will be bothered by nagging injuries the next few days.

We snap the mini-losing streak 120-112 against Golden State. Blake Griffin is fantastic with 26 points, 17 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 3 steals. Chris Kaman scores 25 and Randy Foye doubles for 16 points and 10 assists in his first game as a starter. Ryan Gomes and Rasual Butler tacked on 13 and 11 bench points.

21 points, 9 rebounds for Chris Kaman in a gritty 115-112 win over the Spurs. Eric Gordon picked up a hip injury, so Rasual Butler starts and scores 19.

Despite two 14 point doubles with 10 and 15 respective rebounds from Blake Griffin and Chris Kaman, the Thunder trash us 94-74. Sigh.

We take out our anger on the 76ers, savaging them 125-92 in Baron Davis's first game back. Davis produces 21 points and 10 assists, Blake Griffin nets 21 points and 9 rebounds, and Eric Bledsoe scores 23 points in 13 minutes - 9 of 13, 5 of 6 from 3 point range. Wow! Unfortunately he also picked up a 9 day calf injury.

Expected 106-96 loss on the back end of a doubleheader to the Nets. 31 points for Eric Gordon, 15 points and 12 rebounds for Chris Kaman.

Wall-punch worthy 112-108 loss to the Hornets. 15 points, 13 assists for Baron Davis, 13 and 11 bench points courtesy of Randy Foye and Ryan Gomes.

Nice rebound, 95-90 over the Nuggets. All five starters in double-digit scoring, led by Chris Kaman's 15 points and 12 rebounds. Ryan Gomes headlines the reserves with 11 points.

At 9-6 tied with Golden State for second place in the Pacific, a game behind the Lakers.

It's a little depressing to be doing decently and yet having the feeling like I didn't do much to contribute to it. But maybe I have. Nicolas Batum is #3 on the +/- ON list at 2.9, and he has a 96.5% drive stop rate, with 0.9 PA/SF.

And yes, I made sure to save this time.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

But where is the singing?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
But where is the singing?

At the link to click at top of post.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
Izulde
Head Coach

No trades last month other than ours.

86-75 loss to the Heat in which we don't do much outside of Chris Kaman's 20 points and 14 rebounds and Blake Griffin's 17 points and 10 rebounds. As an added kicker, Ronny Turiaf gets back spasms and is iffy for a week and a half.

We lose 107-83 to Dallas, Rasual Butler's 13 bench points the best showing. Then the Rockets beat us on the back end, 95-83, despite Eric Gordon's 26 points, Chris Kaman's 11 points and 19 rebounds, and Blake Griffin's 16 points and 14 rebounds.

Finally the losing streak ends, 121-108 over Memphis. Eric Gordon scores 34, Chris Kaman piles on 26 points and 14 rebounds, Baron Davis nets 16 points, 14 assists, and Rasual Butler pours in 15 bench points. 20 points, 16 rebounds from Chris Kaman, Baron Davis's 15 point, 11 assist double-double, and Ryan Gomes's 17 bench points lead us to a doubleheader sweep in beating Minnesota 105-94.

121-101 loss to Orlando. All five starters with 13+ points, headlined by Blake Griffin's 23 points and 10 rebounds, Chris Kaman's 15 points and 18 rebounds, and Baron Davis's 14 points, 11 assists, but it's not enough against one of the East's best.

Essentially, we are what we are right now. A mid-level West team that's capable of fighting for a lower playoff seed, but not much else. That means we either need to really go for it or we need to fall back and rebuild.

A quick look of our roster says that we can build around the 21 Three of Eric Gordon, Nicolas Batum, and Blake Griffin. I also really like rookie Eric Bledsoe's potential.

That means we've got Baron Davis and Chris Kaman to offer as the big prizes.

So some calling around and we land ourselves a pretty damn large deal.

PG Raymond Felton
C Timofey Mozgov
C Eddy Curry
New York Knicks 2012 2nd

New York Knicks receive
C Chris Kaman
PG Randy Foye
SF Rasual Butler

For the second time in his Clippers tenure, Jestor strikes a deal with the Knicks and this one's much larger than the Ronny Turiaf trade last month. Felton takes over as the SG, allowing Eric Gordon to shift to 6th man and become the explosive second unit scorer. Mozgov slides in at C and if he develops to the level he's capable of, he could be a formidable young frontcourt duo with Blake Griffin. Curry is a giant expiring contract, which will make Donald Sterling happy.

It's a steep, steep drop from Felton to Tony Douglas, but we project Foye will be starting there sooner rather than later. Kaman will provide a terrific frontcourt pairing with Amar'e Stoudemire and even with the drop in PG play, the Knicks just took a major step to establishing themselves as a legitimate playoff team in the East. Butler was very good off the bench with the Clippers.

Interesting rearrangement of talent by both teams. If New York gets smart and promotes Foye over Douglas, they win this trade. Basketball is once again relevant in the Big Apple.

I have to admit, the idea of a Baron/Felton backcourt intrigues, so I hold off on Davis's shipping papers to see how this works.

Knicks: 11-9 at time of trade
Clippers: 11-10

34.7% shooting in a 97-89 loss to Portland. Ouch. Ryan Gomes with 18 points was the only good thing. Ronny Turiaf is the new starting center, by the way.

Eric Gordon scores 15 bench points, but we lose the next night, 107-95, in hosting Houston.

102-96 loss to the Thunder, with Eric Gordon scoring 25 bench points, so he's working out great in that role. But Baron Davis has been dreadful since the deal, dropping to 38.8% shooting on the season. That's just not acceptable.

22 points from Blake Griffin and 16 bench points from Eric Gordon and we finally snap the drought, beating the Bulls 101-88.

But that's not enough and so we execute another trade.

C Tyson Chandler
Dallas Mavericks 2013 1st round pick

Dallas Mavericks receive
PG Baron Davis
SG Willie Warren

With this trade, the Red and White are officially dealing out of the West playoff race, acquiring Chandler's $12 million expiring contract, even though he projects to start at center, along with a first round pick in what should be Dirk Nowitzki's start of twilight years.

What this means for the Mavericks
Dallas started slowly and finally got up to 14-10, but with this deal gives them is a stopgap in Baron to replace Jason Kidd when Kidd retires. Warren is just a throw-in to get some youth on the team, one who seems unlikely to pan out.

Winner: Clippers
They weren't likely to make the playoffs this season anyway and now that they're pulling out of the race, that means a better pick. Plus, with Chandler and Eddy Curry's combined $23 million and change in expiring contracts, and their youth, the Clippers are putting themselves in great shape for the offseason and years beyond.

Starting Lineup
PG Raymond Felton
SG Eric Gordon
SF Nicolas Batum
PF Blake Griffin
C Tyson Chandler

Okay, now this is really starting to feel more like my team, even if Griffin and Gordon were already here.

So what happens? Tyson Chandler goes gangbusters for 22 points and 11 rebounds with 0 turnovers in his Clippers debut and we win 95-80 over the Pacers.

97-88 loss to Milwaukee the night after. Raymond Felton's 16 points and 11 assists and Eric Bledsoe's 14 bench points are our only standouts.

Ho ho ho, Merry Christmas as we celebrate a 102-71 ravishing of the Raptors to get back to .500. Raymond Felton just misses the triple double with 14 points, 13 assists, 9 rebounds and 1 turnover, while Blake Griffin doubles for 20 points and 11 rebounds, and Eric Bledsoe and Ryan Gomes spark the second team with 17 and 10 points.

We upset Dallas 124-107 on New Year's Eve with some stunning performances. No, I'm not talking about Blake Griffin's 20 points, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocks, or Eric Gordon's 22 points. I'm talking about Raymond Felton's 20 points and 18 assists, and Eric Bledsoe and Timofey Mozgov ripping up the bench for 18 points a piece.

That victory puts us at 15-14, a half-game out of the 8th seed anyway, just behind Dallas, who have gone 2-4 since the trade. Knicks went 3-6 and are now 14-15.

Crazy developments, indeed.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

I know it's a small size and there could be scouting error in effect, but seeing Raymond Felton erupt in his first few games with us and his 65/71 passing/handling rating compared to Baron Davis's 80/74 passing/handling rating reminds me just how different a world DDS:PB 2 is from DDS:PB 1. It's simultaneously awesome and terrifying. System and player fit really does matter much more now. Why is it working better? I have no idea. I just know it is.

We have a trade!

Chicago Bulls receive
SF Wesley Johnson

Minnesota Timberwolves receive
PF Brian Scalabrine
Chicago Bulls 2011 1st round pick

What this means for the Bulls
The #4 overall pick in the most recent draft has potential to be a solid player someday, but right now he's still raw and struggling, particularly shooting the ball. He's Chicago's 6th man at the moment, which suggests the Bulls' bench was in need of a significant upgrade.

What this means for the Timberwolves
Essentially this trade was Johnson for the Bulls first and considering Chicago's 13-19, it's actually a fair looking trade at the moment. Last year's class was ridiculously weak, so Johnson's #4 overall status is a misnomer. Another likely lottery pick for pathetic Wolves.

Winner: Minnesota
Johnson's rawness actually makes the Bulls worse and the pick more valuable. Nice job by Minnesota here.

The 2011 calendar year kicks off with a 113-106 comeback win over the Kings. Eric Gordon scores 26, Raymond Felton continues to surprise with 15 points and 13 assists, and Ryan Gomes scores 14 bench points.

Exhaustion equals a 97-83 loss to the 76ers the night after, with no standouts, although Raymond Felton dished out 11 assists again. I don't get why he's doing what Baron Davis never did consistently.

117-107 loss to the Suns, throwing away Eric Gordon's 27 points, Raymond Felton's 26 points and 14 assists, and Ryan Gomes's 13 bench points.

Then we cream the Pistons 137-90 in our most dominant game of the year. Raymond Felton with 20 points and 13 assists, Blake Griffin with 25 points, Ryan Gomes out of nowhere with 26 bench points, Timofey Mozgov with a double of 12 points and 10 boards off the bench, and Eric Bledsoe with 10 bench points.

110-100 defeat in Dallas, the Mavericks now 20-14, while we're .500. 25 points for Eric Gordon, 15 points, 14 assists for Raymond Felton.

I'm expecting us to drop below .500 for the first time in a month, but we stun the Spurs 103-95 in San Antonio on Nicolas Batum's first 20+ point game as a Clipper (23), Raymond Felton's 25 points and 11 assists, and Eric Gordon's 20 points.

Ugly shooting game in a 119-97 neutering by New Orleans. Eric Bledsoe's 10 points and 9 assists off the bench is all that looked good. Oh and Eric Gordon's 25 points. Raymond Felton has 5 assists, snapping his streak of double-digit assists. I might be pulling Chris Paul off the block in NLL after all. 24.4 points, 11.8 assists, 5.3 rebounds, 1.6 steals, 52.7% shooting, 43.4% from long range.

Hello, track meet! 140-116 win over Phoenix, courtesy of Raymond Felton's 29 points, 14 assists, Nicolas Batum's 23 points, and Eric Bledsoe and Timofey Mozgov scoring 20 and 15 off the bench respectively.

Ryan Gomes and Eric Bledsoe's matching 10 bench points our lone highlights in a 106-99 loss to the Hawks.

Just when I've been thinking about trading Blake Griffin, he breaks out with a 26 point, 14 rebound performance and we win 111-100 over Milwaukee. Eric Gordon helps out with 24 points and Eric Bledsoe hits 5 of 6 three pointers to finish with 19 points in just 17 minutes.

We finally stop yo-yo'ing between .500 and one over, blasting the Timberwolves 114-98. Raymond Felton pretty much singlehandedly won the game with 29 points, 16 assists, and 3 steals. He did have help, though - Ryan Gomes and DeAndre with 17 and 10 bench points.

But the Lakers are there to remind us we're not anything more than an average team as they destroy us 113-89. Raymond Felton 23 points and Eric Bledsoe 15 bench points our only statistical stars.

Defense propels us to a 93-81 win over the Thunder. That and all five starters in double-digit scoring, led by Raymond Felton's 20 points and 9 assists. Oh, did I mention Felton's scoring rating is 58, putting him third on the team? But Blake Griffin hasn't yet learned to demand the ball, apparently. Although Felton's current 13.9 points is third on the team, it's skewed by his 10.4 points in 20 starts with New York. (Griffin and Eric Gordon are tied with the team lead for 70 scoring).

Here's an unexpected 105-98 road win over a good Golden State side. Eric Gordon unleashes for 30 points, Blake Griffin and Raymond Felton put up respective double-doubles of 16 points, 12 rebounds, and 13 points, 10 assists, and Ryan Gomes and Ronny Turiaf chip in 19 and 10 bench points.

Our first doubleheader sweep in a long time, 102-81 vs Portland. Raymond Felton in control with 28 points and 11 assists and Eric Bledsoe with 13 bench points.

Great month for Chicago - 13-19 at the start and they're 24-21 heading into the final contest against us. Make that 25-21 as they suffocate us, 97-79, Nicolas Batum's 24 points tossed aside amidst the mounds of bricks we lay in shooting 42.3%.

Still, I'm not complaining at all. At 24-21, we're still a half-game out of the 8 seed, only this time it's San Antonio. We're also tied with Portland for the 9th seed. Very densely packed playoff race in the West right now, save for the 31-13 Lakers destroying pretty much everyone.

Huh. Chicago's leading the Central with that 25-21 mark, 3.5 games ahead of ...the Cleveland Cavaliers?! Say what?! Mo Williams 19.5 points and 8.2 assists, Antawn Jamison and Ramon Sessions both averaging over 14 points. 47.4% team shooting is tied for 7th. So that's how they're doing it. Riding Mo and a very good shooting percentage.

Fuller league review after February.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:44 AM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

...And I forgot to save again? Wow, my memory's going.

So 21-20 as the last I saved was the 25th. On the replay:

Thunder: 100-121 L
Warriors: 105-113 L
Trailblazers: 81-109 L Tyson Chandler strained abs - 14 days
Bulls: 97-107 W

...Well that wasn't good. Instead of 24-21, we're 22-23 and a couple games out of the 8th seed.

No trades last month. I'm depressed now. Time to cheer myself up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1_B9FCZJMA

Okay, I'm more cheerful now. Sort of. Gwyneth Paltrow's Spanish is so perfect, it's ridiculous. Like so perfect she speaks like a native Spaniard. And I love her cover of Cee-lo in that video. Now I'm the sort of guy who likes pretty chicks with all the right features and who are younger.. but hot damn Gwyneth looks fine as hell for being almost 40. Too bad she's married.

Now I'm gloomy she's married. So what does a sad Jestor do?

He makes blockbuster trades.

PG Stephen Curry
PF Louis Amundson

Golden State Warriors receive
PF Blake Griffin

Very strange trade for the Clippers, considering how well Raymond Felton and Eric Gordon have been doing in the backcourt. But GM Jestor has been in love with Curry since the latter's Davidson days and was reportedly unenthusiastic about Griffin's inconsistency. Curry could also become a very solid floor general once he develops. Amundson is a salary throw-in.

What this means for the Warriors
Fantastic work for Golden State, who picks up a young franchise player in the making in Griffin. We fully expect to see a David Lee/Griffin frontcourt for years to come. The deal also opens up considerable more playing time for raw, but promising Harvard alum Jeremy Lin.

Winner: Golden State
Given how hard quality post players are to find, this strikes us as a bad deal for the Clippers. Warriors by a mile.

As if that was the only move I was making.

C Joakim Noah
Chicago Bulls 2013 2nd round pick

Chicago Bulls receive
SG Eric Gordon

That huge hole caused by the Blake Griffin deal just filled by Noah, one of the best young rebounding and defensive bigs in the league. The 2nd round pick is just a nice little bonus. Noah's another one of the college players Jestor loved watching. What's next, Gerry McNamara signing a contract with the Clips?

Rose and Gordon are going to be a scary, scoring backcourt for years to come. Good luck trying to shut those two down. This also means a starting spot for Omer Asik to develop.

This is a trade that should benefit both teams, both in the short term and in the long run. Gordon didn't have a place in the starting lineup after the Clippers traded for Stephen Curry, and had a void in the post. Meanwhile, Chicago needed another offensive option to go with Rose and Carlos Boozer.

98-96 loss to Cavaliers, but it's going to take a while to adjust. I grimace when Stephen Curry turns the ball over 9 times to go with his 30 points and 8 assists. Why is Ryan Gomes starting at PF? Joakim Noah shoots ugly, but 9 points, 11 rebounds, and 3 blocks is okay. 10 points for Timofey Mozgov off the bench.

...104-99 loss to the Wizards. Stephen Curry with 29 points, Nicolas Batum with 25. Another 7 turnovers for Curry. Note to self - be patient and don't trade him right away. Joakim Noah with 14 points and 12 rebounds.

Well that's one way to break the losing streak. We shock the Heat 102-97 in Miami. Nicolas Batum scores 27, Joakim Noah drops off 10 points and 12 rebounds, and Eric Bledsoe pops off 20 points to lead the second team. 6 assists to 4 turnovers isn't good enough yet, but it's the first positive A/TO ratio Stephen Curry's had here.

Losing again, 126-101 to Orlando. Riding Stephen Curry's ass about his turnovers has led to 21 points, 7 assists, 0 turnovers this game. Rule #1 of Jestorball - Thou shalt not turn the ball over. Three reserves with 10 points - DeAndre Jordan, Timofey Mozgov, and Eric Bledsoe.

And here's a 108-104 loss to the lowly Grizzlies. Nicolas Batum with 31 points and 8 rebounds, Joakim Noah with 20 and 8. Timofey Mozgov stepping up with 11 and 7 off the bench.

Holy defense! 86-64 win over the Hawks! Stephen Curry with 24 points and 8 rebounds to lead the charge. Raymond Felton snaps out of his funk for 23 points and 10 rebounds, and Joakim Noah is the 10 point, 15 rebound glasseater.

Hooray, a small winning streak. We beat the Bobcats 116-100, Stephen Curry singing "Fuck You" to all the haters with 26 points and 17 assists! Big ballas from the bench with Bledsoe, Eric ripping off 18 points, Ronny Turiaf adding 11 points, 8 rebounds, and DeAndre Jordan scoring 12.

We slap the Knicks 118-110, riding with Raymond Felton's 30 points, Joakim Noah's 20 points and 16 rebounds, Eric Bledsoe's 16 bench points, and Ronny Turiaf's 10 points and 5 blocks as the second team's other statistical star.

All-Star Break
Julian Wright - Slam Dunk Winner
Kyle Korver - Long Distance Shootout Winner

Rookies/Sophomores
What an exiting, fun shoot out. The Rookies top the Sophomores 136-130 and John Wall beasted with 29 points and 15 assists for MVP honors. Eric Bledsoe had a quiet 14 minutes with 3 points for the Rookies. Blake Griffin started for the Sophomores and posted 16 points and 7 rebounds. Stephen Curry started too and matched Wall well with 21 points, 11 assists, and 5 steals.

All-Star Game
Another fun scorefest, this one 144-136 for the East. 27 points for MVP Lebron James, who I sing "Fuck You" to under my breath as I watch the game on TV. No Clippers there, so I didn't feel like going in person.

Trade deadline. I already had two major deals earlier in the month, so I'm basically looking for a small deal to find a legitimate PF. I try to swing a deal to get Zach Randolph from the Grizzlies, who's on the block, but my offer of expirings plus a first doesn't interest them. Boo. Those whores.

If I could just trade Ryan Gomes things would be easier, but not one team is willing to take on his contract. I don't know why - he's a good role player, just undersized for the PF spot.

Nobody's willing to deal, and although I come close several times on a deal for Tim Duncan of all people, the Spurs get cold feet. So instead I call up our head coach and tell him to give Timofey Mozgov a hell of a lot more minutes.

Lo and behold, the Russian whose name is eerily close to mine starts next game and we pulverize Phoenix 111-97. Stephen Curry scores 27 points with 8 rebounds, Joakim Noah attacks the glass for 10 points and 15 rebounds, and, in the biggest brow-raiser of the evening, Tyson Chandler torches the Suns for 21 points and 10 rebounds off the bench.

So hell with it, I decide. We'll roll with what we've got.

Suns come to L.A. the very next night looking for revenge. They hobble out the recipients of a 124-93 beatdown. 28 points, 9 assists from Stephen Curry, 22 points, 11 rebounds from Joakim Noah, Raymond Felton with 20 points, and 14, 13, 12 bench points respectively from Ryan Gomes, Eric Bledsoe, and Tyson Chandler, and we're over .500 for the first time in forever.

The losing streak ends with a 125-108 loss to Portland. Can't fault Stephen Curry (32 points), Nicolas Batum (28 points), Joakim Noah (12 points, 10 rebounds), or Tyson Chandler (11 bench points).

Golden State comes to town and Stephen Curry is so amped up, he plays a perfect floor general with 17 points and 17 assists against 5 turnovers. Raymond Felton scores 24, and DeAndre Jordan and Eric Bledsoe pace the bench with 14 and 12 points in our 109-91 win. Tyson Chandler is dinged up for a week and a half and Nicolas Batum strains his knee for about the same time, giving the win a phyrric flavor.

Sure enough, we lose 118-102 to the Celtics to close out the month. Ryan Gomes scored 21 in place of the injured Batum, but our defense took a hit without the young Frenchman. 18 and 14 bench points for Ronny Turiaf and Eric Bledsoe respectively.

At 29-29, we're well out of the playoff race by now. But finishing .500 would be pretty damn good for this young team, as we grow into ourselves. After all, our starting lineup the last few games other than Boston:

PG Stephen Curry (22)
SG Raymond Felton (25)
SF Nicolas Batum (21)
PF Timofey Mozgov (24)
C Joakim Noah (25)

That's a very young starting five, one that I think looks much better than the original lineup we were looking at, even before the Batum deal:

PG Baron Davis (31)
SG Eric Gordon (21)
SF Al-Farouq Aminu (20)
PF Blake Griffin (21)
C Chris Kaman (28)

West Conference
1. Denver Nuggets (40-18)
2. Los Angeles Lakers (39-18)
3. New Orleans Hornets (35-21)
4. Houston Rockets (35-22)
5. Golden State Warriors (34-23)
6. San Antonio Spurs (33-23)
7. Dallas Mavericks (33-24)
8. Portland Trailblazers (32-25)
----------------------------------
9. Oklahoma City (30-27)
T10. Los Angeles Clippers (29-29)
T10. Utah Jazz (29-29)
12. Memphis Grizzlies (24-33)
T13. Phoenix Suns (19-37)
T13. Sacramento Kings (20-39)
15. Minnesota Timberwolves (11-46)

East Conference
1. Miami Heat (41-15)
2. Orlando Magic (39-18)
3. Boston Celtics (39-20)
4. Atlanta Hawks (33-24)
5. Chicago Bulls (29-29)*
6. New Jersey Nets (31-27)
7. Cleveland Cavaliers (27-28)
8. Indiana Pacers (28-32)
----------------------------
9. New York Knicks (26-31)
10. Philadelphia 76ers (25-31)
11. Milwaukee Bucks (26-34)
12. Washington Wizards (22-35)
13. Detroit Pistons (20-36)
14. Charlotte Bobcats (18-40)
15. Toronto Raptors (13-46)

Sucks to know we'd be the 7 seed in the East, but oh well.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
Izulde
Head Coach

Trade Trade!

Atlanta Hawks receive
PF Carl Landry

Sacramento Kings receive
SF Maurice Evans
Atlanta Hawks 2011 1st round pick

What this means for the Hawks
Landry, 26, is still developing and projects as the future starting SF whenever Grant Hill retires. He makes a nice forward tandem with Josh Smith, but Atlanta needs to make sure Landry stays for this deal to be worth it - he's a free agent and, as a second round pick, unrestricted.

What this means for the Kings
Sacramento is one of the worst teams in the league, so another late first probably makes more sense than Landry, just in terms of setting the clock for their rebuild. Evan's a $2.5 million expiring bench scrub.

Winner: Sacramento
Even given it's a late first, the pick will benefit the Kings more than Landry benefits the Hawks, especially if Atlanta doesn't keep him.

Miami Heat receive
PF Rasheed Wallace

Sacramento Kings receive
PF Juwan Howard

What this means for the Heat
Sheed may be 35 and a horrible shooter, but the greybeard still packs a defensive wallop and immediately improves Miami's frontcourt depth, which was hideous behind starters Chris Bosh and Udonis Haslem.

Pure and simple tank move. Howard's 37 and is chained to the end of the bench.

Winner: Miami
The rest of the league is mad at the Kings for improving Miami's bench for free.

Dallas Mavericks receive
SG Stephen Jackson

Charlotte Bobcats receive
PG Jose Juan Barera
PF Brian Cardinal
PF Steve Novak*
SG Deshawn Stevenson*

Dallas cleans out its bench and brings in a 24.5 PPG scorer and All-Star who also plays nasty defense. Who cares if Jackson is 32? This is a move that says the Mavericks want a title this season and Dirk Nowitzki is celebrating the added help on offense.

What this means for the Bobcats
Novak and Stevenson were cut, so this becomes a decent young reserve in Barera and a small expiring scrub in Cardinal. The real reason Charlotte made this move was to get out from Jackson's three year, $9 million and up contract. But really? To get nothing of value beyond cap relief? That's why they're 18-40.

Winner: Dallas
It's not often you get an All-Star so cheaply, but the Mavericks pull off the steal here.

Golden State Warriors receive
SF Rasual Butler

New York Knicks receive
PF Vladimir Radmanovic

What this means for the Warriors
Butler improves their swingman depth, but he's nothing special and 30. The strangest thing about Golden State right now is that they're using Blake Griffin as a 6th man, preferring David Lee and Andris Biedrins as their starting frontcourt. It's 22 minutes a game, but still brow-raising.

Scrub player is Mr. Radmanovic. This trade puzzles.

Winner: Golden State
A blah deal, but slightly less blah for the Warriors.

Atlanta Hawks receive
SF Grant Hill

Phoenix Suns receive
PF Josh Powell
C Jason Collins
C Etan Thomas

Whoops, we accidentally let the cat out the bag on this deal. Even at 37, Hill is a quality player and a capable fifth starter who will bolster Atlanta as they try to make a deep playoff run.

What this means for the Suns
Collins was released. The Suns are officially packing it in. None of these guys are worth anything and the best part of this deal was more minutes for Jared Dudley. The biggest time beneficiary was Hakeem Warrick, however. Good tank move.

Winner: Atlanta
It's the something for nothing special, although not nearly as drastic as Dallas's.

Miami Heat receive
SG Larry Hughes

Phoenix Suns receive
C Zydrunus Ilgauskas

What this means for the Heat
Having pumped up their frontcourt with Wallace, Miami felt free to further improve their bench with a solid all around swingman 6th man in Hughes. It's another terrific improvement for a shallow team.

What this means for the Suns
Is there some sort of league conspiracy to give the Heat the title? We mean, seriously.

Winner: Miami
Call the antitrust lawyers! The fix is in!

I want to yell at Stephen Curry for his 10 turnovers, but his 36 points carry us to a 98-80 win over Sacramento, so it's hard to bitch too much. Joakim Noah gets the cheap 10 point, 10 rebound double-double.

23 points, 12 rebounds, and 5 blocks the next night for Joakim Noah and we sweep the doubleheader, 108-93 over Charlotte. Stephen Curry feels my waves of fury and posts 17 points and 11 assists, while Raymond Felton scores 26 and Eric Bledsoe rolls up 14 points, 7 assists, and 6 steals off the bench.

A break and we break the Spurs 119-100. Joakim Noah and Raymond Felton rip off 23 points, Stephen Curry busts it down with 20 points, 10 assists, 6 rebounds, and 4 steals, and Eric Bledsoe and Nicolas Batum pump up the reserves with 14 and 12 points.

We got a bunch of nagging little injuries against San Antonio, so it's no surprise when Memphis beats us 91-75. 24 points, 8 assists for Stephen Curry, but we played like shit and blew our losing streak.

A much needed couple of days off gets Nicolas Batum up to full health and he rocks the Pacers for 30 points in our 125-97 shelling of Indiana. 21 points, 8 assists for Raymond Felton, and 17 points, 11 assists for Stephen Curry. Oh, and Eric Bledsoe going off for 20 bench points.

I admire Cleveland's pluckiness in ALB 1, but Stephen Curry crushes the Cavs for 36 points, 12 assists and 3 steals in our 124-109 cruise. Great all-around game from Joakim Noah of 21 points, 13 rebounds, 3 steals, and 4 blocks. Eric Bledsoe with 11 bench points as I continue to give much thanks to the prior regime for being smart enough to steal him in the last draft.

We stun the Nuggets 111-97 on their home turf led by all five starters scoring 12+ points. Stephen Curry leads the scoring with 26 points, Nicolas Batum is fine all around with 19 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 steals, Joakim Noah does his thing with 15 points and 13 rebounds, and Tyson Chandler chips in 12 bench points.

Defense destroys the Nets 91-74 on the back end of the doubleheader, and Joakim Noah is a one man wrecking crew with 20 points and 11 rebounds. Tyson Chandler keeps his hot hand with 11 bench points.

106-73 hammering of Golden State is up next and I can't stop grinning. 21 points Stephen Curry, 17 points, 11 rebounds out of Joakim Noah, and 10 bench points each from Tyson Chandler and Eric Bledsoe.

Back-to-back? Bueno, as Washington goes down 100-85. Stephen Curry is everywhere with 22 points, 13 assists, and 6 steals, Tyson Chandler picks up 10 points, 10 rebounds off the bench, and Ronny Turiaf is right there with 11 bench points of his own.

114-97 romp over Detroit, Stephen Curry with 28 points, 13 assists, 5 rebounds, and 3 steals. Joakim Noah controls the boards with 11 points and 18 rebounds, Tyson Chandler just misses a bench double with 14 points, 9 rebounds, and Ronny Turiaf reprises his 11 bench points.

Toronto scares the shit out of us, but we trip them to come out 108-106 winners. Nicolas Batum steps up with 27 points, Stephen Curry's not far off the pace with 21 points, Joakim Noah bangs his way to 14 points, 13 rebounds, and 4 blocks, and Raymond Felton and Timofey Mozgov pace the reserves with 12 and 10 points. Yep, that's right, Eric Bledsoe got the start while Felton dealt with back stiffness. Jarrett Jack torched Bledsoe for 31 points, too. Le eek.

The hangover from that narrow victory for our 40th win of the season is too much, and Boston bounces us 103-91 to end our winning streak the next evening. Man, I hate wasting Joakim Noah's 21 points, 20 rebounds and 4 blocks.

Another heartstopper on the road, 98-96 over New York. All five starters with 12+ points, Raymond Felton's 12 points and 10 assists and Tyson Chandler's 12 points, 7 rebounds with the second team our notable highlights. Oh, and Joakim Noah just missing 20 and 10 with 19 and 9 in points/rebounds.

A back to back to end the month. 98-85 win over San Antonio to clinch a winning record on the year. 25 points from Stephen Curry, 13 bench points from Eric Bledsoe, and Tyson Chandler's 10 points, 9 rebounds off the bench did it. Our sixth straight road game ends in a 117-94 rout at the hands of the Rockets. Eric Bledsoe and Tyson Chandler do it up with 18 points and 10 points, 9 rebounds off the bench respectively, but our starters played like crap.

Not that I care too much. We're 42-32, which puts us a half-game out of the #7/#8 seed, held by Portland/Golden State.

...Holy crap. We just might make the playoffs this season.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #8
MrBug708
Head Coach

Good stuff
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
Taz13
n00b

Nice to see the trading GM back at it. Hopefully all of the grading is done and we are ready for a full summer of reading.
Taz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #10
Izulde
Head Coach

MrBug: Thanks.

Taz13: Well I can't promise how often I'll update - The summer's looking pretty busy in its own right, but I'll see if I can get in a couple times a week.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:29 AM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

Eight games left to decide our fate.

Game #1
-119-102 win over New Orleans. Stephen Curry lights up Chris Paul for 27 points, 10 assists, and 7 rebounds. Joakim Noah abuses Emeka Okafor for 25 points and 16 rebounds. All five of our starters score 11+ points.

We're a full game behind Dallas, Portland, and Golden State now, even with the win.

Game #2
-121-110 win in Denver. We certainly haven't had an easy draw the first two games. Stephen Curry has the best game of a Clipper this season with 40 points, 10 assists, and 3 steals. 15 points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists, and 3 blocks for Joakim Noah, and 20 and 11 bench points for Tyson Chandler and Eric Bledsoe.

Golden State loses and we're currently in a dead heat with the Warriors for the 8 seed. Dallas wins, putting the Mavericks ahead for the 6 seed.

Game #3
-Back end, so no surprise to see the Lakers win 109-102. 18 points, 13 assists by Stephen Curry, 16 points, 15 rebounds, 3 blocks by Joakim Noah, and 12 bench points from Timofey Mozgov.

We're back to a game behind Golden State, but now we're just a half-game behind Portland.

Game #4
-116-91 blowout of the Timberwolves. Stephen Curry is really starting to adapt to the Jestorball role - 19 points, 14 assists, 6 rebounds, and just 2 turnovers. Joakim Noah motors for 12 points, 12 rebounds, and Tyson Chandler (16), [b]Timofey Mozgov (12) and Eric Bledsoe (11) all score well in the rout.

Half-game behind Golden State and we've inched ahead of Portland for the 8 seed. We're still in this thing halfway through.

Game #5
-We dethrone the Kings 120-84. Raymond Felton takes over with 30 points, 9 assists, 5 rebounds and 0 turnovers. Tyson Chandler and Eric Bledsoe do work with the second team, scoring 19 and 10 respective points.

Still a full game behind the Warriors, but the Mavericks have slipped a bit and now we're tied with Dallas for the 7 seed. Portland lost again and it appears the Trailblazers might be blowing it at season's end.

...And we play the Blazers tonight on the back end of the doubleheader. It's no lie to say this is the biggest game of our season. This one's nationally televised, folks.

Game #6
-Stephen Curry was pissed about Sacramento shutting him down, so he comes out with a vengeance in the national spotlight. 26 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, and just 1 turnover to earn Player of the Game honors in the 104-76 statement win. Nicolas Batum hits 5 of 10 three pointers for 22 points and holds Al-Farouq Aminu to just 8 points. Bet Portland fans are feeling pretty damned salty over that deal now, my first with the Clippers. 12 bench points for Eric Bledsoe.

That victory clinches the playoffs for us! We're tied with Golden State for the 6 seed, even. Man, what a great feeling, especially knowing the Blake Griffin for Stephen Curry trade played a major role in our reversal of fortunes.

91-79 loss to Utah pretty much consigns us to the #8 seed when Dallas and Golden State win, I think. The Mavericks win their last two games to clinch #6, but things get interesting when the Warriors lose their last game and we win, beating OKC 100-82 on Stephen Curry's 23 points and usual suspects Tyson Chandler and Eric Bledsoe with 11 and 10 points.

...Wait a minute. Dallas, Golden State, Houston and us are all tied at 48-34. OMG, I've never seen this before in any basketball sim I've ever played. Holy cow!

West Conference Playoff Seeding
1. Denver Nuggets
2. Los Angeles Lakers
3. New Orleans Hornets
4. San Antonio Spurs
5. Dallas Mavericks
6. Houston Rockets
7. Golden State Warriors
8. Los Angeles Clippers

...What a ripoff. Well, we've proven we can beat Denver, so it's actually a fortunate drawing. Far worse would have been the Lakers. We've beaten the Hornets and Spurs too, so as long as we avoid the Lakers, it's cool.

East Conference Playoff Seeding
1. Miami Heat (61-21, only 60+ win team in the league)
2. Orlando Magic
3. Boston Celtics
4. Chicago Bulls
5. New Jersey Nets
6. Atlanta Hawks (45-37)
7. New York Knicks (39-43)
8. Indiana Pacers (37-45)

Sheesh. Lucky draw for the two Florida teams. The East is nowhere near as deep as the West, which probably means the Heat have a free trip to the Finals. Ugh.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #12
Taz13
n00b

As in real life I would really like to see the Heat not win it, so please do whatever is necessary to prevent them from winning. :-)
Old 06-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz13 View Post
As in real life I would really like to see the Heat not win it, so please do whatever is necessary to prevent them from winning. :-)

Here's to hoping.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #14
Izulde
Head Coach

So here we are, in the playoffs in a year I didn't really expect us to make it, especially not after dealing away the Blake Griffin/Chris Kaman/Baron Davis trio.

Point Guard
Stephen Curry vs. Chauncey Billups

Rising young star Curry averaged 18.2 points, 7.8 assists, and 1.4 steals, shooting a combined 50.3%, 44.8% from 3 point range between Golden State and the Clippers. His numbers all went up dramatically after the trade and he appears to be a perfect fit for the Red and White. Can be caught turning the ball over too much, and still growing into the floor general role.

17.3 points, 8 assists, and 1.3 steals for the 33 year old Billups, who, while nowhere near as accurate as the young Curry, is a much more polished and rangy defender, and less likely to turn the ball over. This is going to be an excellent matchup.

Advantage: Draw

Shooting Guard
Raymond Felton vs. Arron Afflalo

Felton was a real revelation after being traded to the Clippers, first as an explosive point guard, then as a quality SG after the Curry deal. Very good defender who averaged 14.9 points, 6.6 assists, and 1.1 steals. Also a 3 point threat, shooting 38.2% from behind the arc.

43.5% from 3 point range is even better than Felton's, but Afflalo's shooting accuracy comes at a price - lackluster defense and nowhere near as polished as Felton in passing. 13.3 points, as a quality young fifth starter.

Advantage: Clippers

Small Forward
Nicolas Batum vs. Carmelo Anthony

The 21 year old Batum is the only Clippers starter to have played all his games with the team, having been a preseason pickup. 13.3 points on 49.6% shooting, 40% from 3 point range isn't even his real value - It's his lockdown defense and 6'8, 200 lbs body at the 3.

Only problem is, Melo's 6'8 too, and has 30 pounds on Batum at 230. The star of this surprising 1 seed Nuggets team, the one-time Syracuse star averaged 25.1 points, 6.6 rebounds, and 1.6 steals in the regular season. One of the league's marquee players, he'll need to play fantastic ball if Denver wants to beat these underrated Clippers.

Advantage: Nuggets

Power Forward
Ryan Gomes vs. Al Harrington

Gomes was a great sub for the Clippers until Blake Griffin went to Golden State for Curry. Then again, he's playing 25 minutes a game, even as a starter. Really, the 4 spot is a rotational situation between Gomes, Tyson Chandler, and Timofey Mozgov.

No such uncertainty in Denver, where Harrington's 10.8 points, 5.6 rebounds and steal per game won the starting job in the last half of the season. On the other hand, that starting only came because Kenyon Martin broke his nose so badly, he could be out the rest of the season. He's also extremely inconsistent, and it's difficult to say if him as the starter, or Los Angeles's rotation is better.

Center
Joakim Noah vs. Nene Hilario

So what if he's due to earn $10 million next year and $14.2 million by his 6th year? Noah gave the Clippers toughness, defense, and rebounding inside, averaging 11.4 points, 11.4 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in the regular season, a different sort of player than the Griffin/Chris Kaman offense-oriented duo the Clippers started the year with.

12.6 points, 9.3 rebounds, 1.1 steals, and 1.1 blocks make Nene nearly as fantastic a defender as Noah. Although he's not the rebounder that Noah is, he's got excellent intangibles and the Brazilian is in his prime.

Advantage Draw

Bench

The Clippers rely on Tyson Chandler, Timofey Mozgov, and Eric Bledsoe as their main bench. Ronny Turiaf is another part of that deep, multi-faceted big man rotation.

Denver's second unit consists mainly of J.R. Smith (11.6 points a game) and the emerging Ty Lawson (team high 2.8 A/TO ratio). But unlike the versatile, deep bench of the Clippers, Denver has almost no frontcourt depth, other than one-note defensive specialist Chris Andersen.

Overall Thoughts

This is how talented the West is - the separation between #1 and #8 is a lot smaller than it looks on paper. Batum is a dynamite defensive matchup for Melo and he should be able to slow Anthony down. You have to love the matchup at PG and C, and it's those two that could decide the series. In the end, though, the Clippers' depth should see them pull off the upset.

Prediction: Clippers in 6

Gee, nothing like pressure.

Game One
Say hello to Chauncey Billups, who tears us up for 44 points and 4 steals. Add in J.R. Smith's 17 bench points and all five Denver's starters in 10+ points, and it's no question we got destroyed. 20 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 8 turnovers for Stephen Curry, 14 and 11 bench points for Tyson Chandler and Eric Bledsoe.
Final - Clippers 90 Nuggets 129

Game Two
Repeat of Game 1's blowout, only this time Carmelo Anthony's doing the damage with 36 points and 13 rebounds. J.R. Smith again destroys us from the bench with 26 points, almost singlehandedly outpointing Tyson Chandler and Eric Bledsoe's matching 14 bench points. Stephen Curry does better, but only marginally - 20 points, 6 assists, and 7 turnovers. Raymond Felton's 25 points were great.
Final - Clippers 94 Nuggets 121

Timofey Mozgov gets hurt again. Sprained toe for about two weeks. We'll probably get swept anyway.

Game Three
Hell of a lot closer. But Chauncey Billups and Stephen Curry neutralize each other with 32 points, and Raymond Felton's 26 points can't counter Carmelo Anthony's 23 points, 10 rebounds, and 7 asssists, and Nene Hilario's 12 points and 16 rebounds.
Final - Nuggets 103 Clippers 92

Game Four
I'm predicting a sweep. Carmelo Anthony bangs in for 29 points and 11 rebounds, Chauncey Billups just misses the double-double with 23 points and 9 assists, J.R. Smith fires off 22 points from the bench, and Anthony Carter comes up with 10 bench points. But then Stephen Curry has his best game of the playoffs with 32 points, 16 assists, 8 rebounds, and 2 turnovers, Nicolas Batum finally comes alive with 25 points, Tyson Chandler beasts for 20 points and 8 rebounds off the bench, and Eric Bledsoe adds 10 bench points. And so we manage to avoid the sweep, at least.
Final - Nuggets 119 Clippers 126

Game Five
Back to Denver and it's a wrap. Stephen Curry scores 33, but he and Eric Bledsoe (13 bench points) were the only two Clippers in double-digit scoring. Given that, Carmelo Anthony's 26 points, Chauncey Billups's 23 points, 10 rebounds, and 7 assists, Arron Afflalo's 20 points and all the Nuggets' starters with 15+ points was more than enough to overwhelm us.
Final - Clippers 91 Nuggets 114

Very disappointing to see Joakim Noah just disappear this series after he was such a big part of our regular season success.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:19 AM   #15
MrBug708
Head Coach

No slacking
Old 06-07-2011, 04:12 AM   #16
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
No slacking

Yes sir.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:12 AM   #17
Izulde
Head Coach

2011 Draft - 1st Round
1. PF Ryan Hoiberg - Sacramento Kings

I get a trade offer right off the bat. Two of them. Detroit offers Charlie Villanueva and Will Bynum for Raymond Felton. ...Yeah, no. Miami offers me a scrub for one of my scrubs and even though their scrub is better, I don't want to give them any satisfaction or risk cutting into Eric Bledsoe's PT, so I decline.

2. PF Germayne Postell - Toronto Raptors

...Wow. Not Johnson. Crazy. Another offer, this one Danny Granger for Joakim Noah. Blockbuster and a half. It'd kill us in the post, but Granger was a very worthy All-NBA 3rd Team and he gives us that scoring star we need to give Stephen Curry some help. He's also an excellent defender.

On the other hand, we have Nicolas Batum, a great defender in his own right, and one of my personal favorite players. Noah has also been our glue guy at center.

Hell with it. I take it and I'll review the deal later.

3. SG Nick Perry - Charlotte Bobcats

Hmm. This is familiar. College hero goes to local team. In this case, literally so, as Perry played for UNC-Charlotte. I finally get around to looking at our scouting reports and ...yeah, I see why Chris Johnson is slipping. Some worrying signs about him.

4. PF Arlon Knight - Minnesota Timberwolves
5. SF Brandon Molnar - Detroit Pistons

Another offer, but I'm not going to post them all, especially when they're as dull as this one.

6. C Brad Jones - Washington Wizards

...Shit. He shouldn't be up this high. I call Washington to see if they want to cut a deal. No go. Damn it. I want my Runnin' Rebel at center.

But the Wizards refuse everything I throw at them, including Batum and Felton. Sigh.

7. SG Rodney Perry - Phoenix Suns
8. PF Wesley Worrell - Cleveland Cavaliers (Boo UNR).
9. C Chris Johnson - Philadelphia 76ers

Even though he has his issues, I think the 76ers got fantastic value here. But we can't always build around Hoosier stars.

10. PG Mills Jolly - Memphis Grizzlies
11. SG Andrew Kirtz - Milwaukee Bucks
12. SG Derrick Cockle - Oklahoma City Thunder

Can I just say 6'8 SGs warm the cockles of my heart? They really do.

13. SG Richard Gattison - Utah Jazz
14. PF Ilian Halilovic - Portland Trailblazers

So the lottery's done. There's exactly one player left on our board and I'm frantic to get him.

So frantic I offer #20, #46, and the Knicks' 2012 2nd to the Pacers to move up and nab our guy.

15. SF Eutor Taffarel - Los Angeles Clippers

The analysts shred the pick, asking what in the world we're doing with this guy when we have Nicolas Batum and just traded for Danny Granger. They also hated on Taffarel as a prospect. They can go to hell. I stand by my man Eutor, who looked really, really good when he came in for his private workout, especially on offense.

16. PG Hector Simmons - New York Knicks
17. SF Chris Crosby - Minnesota Timberwolves
18. PG Cameron Risinger - Sacramento Kings
19. SF James Layne - New Jersey Nets
20. PF Johnnie Gardner - Indiana Pacers

...Impressive. Right guy, right slot. Just wrong team.

21. C Sam Kitt - Golden State Warriors
22. SF Clint Walker - Houston Rockets
23. PF Brian Roberts - Dallas Mavericks
24. PG Kenyate Hamilton - San Antonio Spurs
25. PF Tim Hampton - New Orleans Hornets
26. PF Steve Beck - Boston Celtics
27. PG James Montague - Los Angeles Lakers
28. SF Ed Yarbrough - Orlando Magic

Superb value for the spot. If we'd kept 20 and our guy was gone, Yarbrough prob would have been the choice. 6'10 is awesome.

29. SG Josh Lawson - Denver Nuggets
30. C Renard Charity - Miami Heat

Yes, because a 6'9 center is what the Heat needed. Skinny dudes don't win you championships, Bron Bron.

Sadly, Taffarel does not look nearly as good as I thought he would at first look post-draft. I feel like kind of an ass now. Brad Jones doesn't look worthy of the #6 pick, but he's definitely good enough to start. Chris Johnson looks pretty bad on defense.

I still try and trade for the big Hoosier anyway, but the 76ers are being assholes about it.

Forget it. I'll try again tomorrow.

Oh and Ryan Hoiberg is indeed a future All-Star. Iffy consistency and durability, but very much a promising young man.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #18
MrBug708
Head Coach

Good stuff
Old 06-08-2011, 02:25 AM   #19
Izulde
Head Coach

So let's review trades, shall we?

SF Danny Granger

Indiana Pacers receive
C Joakim Noah

Shocking trade, as Noah was a Jestor favorite from his college days and the dirty presence down low the Clippers needed. On the other hand, he faded down the stretch and disappeared against the Nuggets. Granger was All-NBA 3rd Team last season and is a superlative scorer and shut down defender. He gives the Red and White a #1 to take the pressure off Stephen Curry and a franchise star opposing teams will have to try and solve.

What this means for the Pacers
Noah finds himself back in the Central and he'll slot in beautifully at C, allowing Indiana to move the underachieving Roy Hibbert to PF, where the latter's 7'2 frame can hopefully mask some of his liabilities. Indiana now needs a new #1, but is their team going to be good enough to lure in a superstar with their $25 million in cap space?

Both teams are taking a major risk here, the Pacers dealing their franchise star for one of the most underrated big men in the league, the Clippers banking on Timofey Mozgov to become their center of the future. We do have to wonder what LA is going to do with their logjam at SF with Granger, Nicolas Batum, and recent 1st round pick Eutor Taffarel.

Los Angeles Lakers receive
SF Austin Daye

Detroit Pistons receive
SG Shannon Brown

What this means for the Lakers
Could find a role as an accurate shooting reserve, but right now he's buried on the inactive list, and free agency isn't even here yet.

What this means for the Pistons
Disciplined defender, but otherwise unremarkable. The 25 year old will fight for playing time with Ben Gordon and Charlie Villaneuva.

Winner: Pistons
Detroit looks like they'll use Brown, whereas Daye will rot away on the Lakers' bench.

Philadelphia 76ers receive
PG Cameron Risinger

Sacramento Kings receive
PF Marreese Speights

What this means for the 76ers
18th overall pick has some upside as a respectable fifth starter/backup point guard. The only question is, why another PG when they already have Louis Williams and Jrue Holiday on the roster?

Speights is just another guy. Nothing remarkable about him at all.

Winner: Philadelphia
The former Terrapin Risinger's upside makes the 76ers the clear winner considering they gave up nobody worth mentioning to get him. Philly now has a strong 3 PG rotation to run alongside Evan Turner.

Indiana Pacers receive
C Hassan Whiteside

Sacramento Kings receive
SG Brandon Rush

What this means for the Pacers
He's raw, but if he develops, Whiteside will be an excellent defender, shotblocker, and foul drawer and his 7' height will intimidate teams with smaller frontlines. Indiana's definitely serious about upgrading its big man stocks with quality young defenders down low.

26 year old has good size for the 2 at 6'6, 210 and shows some ability with the 3 point ball. Slightly above average defense and a stopgap reserve until Tyreke Evans comes back from his ACL injury.

Winner: Pacers
We really like what Indiana is doing with their frontcourt this offseason. They may not make the playoffs next year, which gives them a shot to find the #1 option they need in the lottery. West is very deep, ad Rush isn't good enough to be adequate cover off the bench.

Oklahoma City Thunder receive
PG C.J. Watson

Chicago Bulls receive
PF D.J. White
C Byron Mullens

What this means for the Thunder
Watson, 27, is a ball secure point guard, with tantalizing upside as a perimeter defender and ballthief. The perfect complement to Russell Westbrook off the bench and better than Eric Maynor or project 2nd round pick Peter Hendricks.

Two young scrubs are still scrubs, but Mullens is at least a 7' body and the only center on the roster besides Omer Asik. Think Da Bulls miss Joakim Noah yet?

Winner: Thunder
Chicago was desperate to add big bodies and they gave away a quality rotational piece to get wastes of space. Nice steal by OKC.

New Orleans Hornets receive
C Ian Manhinmi

Dallas Mavericks receive
C Aaron Gray

What this means for the Hornets
Manhinmi's lone talent - 63.4% shooting. Too bad he doesn't have enough of a scoring instinct to be of real value.

Gray is a better all-around talent than Manhinmi, but that's like saying Fat Chick #1 at the bar has a better all around personality over Fat Chick #2's few less fat rolls.

Winner: Nobody
Either way, these teams are going home with a fat chick. Manhinmi (Fat Chick #2) doesn't have enough fewer fat rolls to make a a difference and Gray (Fat Chick #1) is the type of carryout we call diving on a grenade to take one for the team.

Denver Nuggets receive
SG James Anderson

San Antonio Spurs receive
PG Ty Lawson

What this means for the Nuggets
Anderson has good scoring pop and is a great long-range gunner. Solid without being spectacular in other areas, with that 6'6, 208 frame to make him hard to stop. One of the few bright spots in last year's dull class, and a veritable steal at #20. It wouldn't be horrible if he ended up starting for the defending champions, who renounced almost no one, including Kenyon Martin's $24 million price tag.

What this means for the Spurs
Accurate as hell shooter with shut down defender potential. Doesn't have anywhere close to Anderson's scoring instincts, though, which is his big drawback. Has upside to become a passable floor general, although nothing outstanding, more on the fifth starter/reserve type. Big, big addressing of a need, as he provides San Antonio a legitimate option behind starter George Hill.

Should work out very well for both teams and their needs.

New Orleans Hornets receive
SF Damion James

New Jersey Nets receive
SF Quincy Pondexter

What this means for the Hornets
The former Longhorn was a quality starter last year... in the D-Leagues.

What this means for the Nets
Another good D-League guy, Pondexter at least has upside as a defender and offensive rebounder for a wing. That's more can be said for James.

Winner: New Jersey
Why did the Hornets even take James? Chris Paul can't be happy.

And finally...

Charlotte Bobcats receive
PF Jordan Hill

Houston Rockets receive
PG D.J. Augustin

What this means for the Bobcats
Hill isn't worth his #8 pick status two years ago, but he has some upside to be an offensive minded rotational big of some worth.

What this means for the Rockets
Augustin was a pleasant surprise last year, shooting 40.1% from 3 point range and averaging 12.6 points in 33 starts, 81 games played. A very nice reserve PG to have, especially with his accuracy and handling. Between starter Aaron Brooks, #2 Kyle Lowry, and Augustin, Houston now looks quite deep at the 1.

Winner: Houston
On talent alone, the Rockets win. Charlotte did shore up their horrific frontcourt depth with Hill, but he doesn't bring nearly the value that Augustin does.

Last edited by Izulde : 06-08-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:26 AM   #20
Izulde
Head Coach

Summer League
Before the summer league, I picked up Stephen Curry's fourth year option and Eric Bledsoe's third and fourth year options.

Stephen Curry
Eric Bledsoe
Nicolas Batum
Eutor Taffarel
Timofey Mozgov

Five guys going to the Summer league and that could practically be our starting lineup right there.

126-83 rout of the Cavaliers to kick things off. Stephen Curry with 21 points, invitee Marc Gasol with 21 points and 12 rebounds, and Eric Bledsoe with 15 points, 8 assists and 0 turnovers off the bench. Eutor Taffarel looked great shooting the ball - 8 of 17 for 17 points.

Marc Gasol is fast establishing himself as our #1 target in free agency, posting 21 points and 11 rebounds in our 123-103 win over Orlando. Eutor Taffarel continues to justify me by going 9/15 for 21 points. Rudy Fernandez scores 17 bench points, Eric Bledsoe 11. Yes, we have 3 Spanish nationals on this summer league team.

Our first loss of the summer league goes via the 76ers, 112-99. Eutor Taffarel goes 7/10, 5/5 from 3 point range for 20 points and 3 blocks, holding his own against the far more celebrated Evan Turner, who scored 21. Eric Bledsoe was the only other player of note, scoring 11 bench points.

106-79 bounceback win over the Mavericks. Timofey Mozgov highlights the game and is our lone true statistical noteworthy guy with 20 points, 14 rebounds off the bench.

We close out the summer league with the closest game of the season, 96-88 win over Utah. Rudy Fernandez and Eric Bledsoe spark the team with 14 bench points and 12 points, 8 rebounds respectively for the second team. Oh and Timofey Mozgov with 10 bench points.

Damn impressive summer, but Stephen Curry worries me. He didn't take charge of the team like I thought he would and while he showed improvement in his floor general skills, I don't know if he'll ever be the type of starting PG I demand.

It's the 1.5 A/TO ratio in summer league that settles it. I have a specific target in mind, but I'm going to have wait until guys start signing in free agency to pull it off.

By the way, Eutor Taffarel's summer league stats - 15.8 points, 3.8 rebounds, 1 block, 0.8 steals, 1.8 A/TO ratio. The advanced metrics aren't tracked in summer league, which is a shame. I'd love to see his drive stop rate and PA/SF.

Free Agency
What a great time to need a big man. Some of the top bigs:

C Yao Ming
C Greg Oden
C Marc Gasol
C Kendrick Perkins
PF Zach Randolph
PF David West

On the other hand, it's a horrible free agency for point guards. Nobody who fits the Jestorball mold and the best available is Tony Parker.

I would dearly love Randolph, but we don't have the money for him. Greg Oden suffered three different injuries last year, including a broken toe, and I don't like his passing and handling.

So even though it's an overpay and even though Donald Sterling wants us below the cap, I throw every last dollar we have at Marc Gasol.

And we get him! 5 years, $77.5 million. I had better be right about this, because Sterling's screaming in my ear about the money and if we don't produce, I'm so fired.

While I'm doing some phone calls, I notice Chris Johnson tore his knee tendon and is out his entire rookie year. Bad deal.

Unfortunately, despite my repeated calls around the league, nobody is willing to take Ryan Gomes's contract with the player option he has. Sure he's a little overpaid, but it's only a two year contract and he's a decent player - just not suited to PF, which Vinny Del Negro keeps insisting on.

It's irritating, but I'll just see how the starting lineup plays out after training camp.

Getting back to free agency, the Orlando Magic grab Yi Jianlian for 4 years, $23.6 million. Must be trying to become a bigger player in China. On the same day, they re-sign Vince Carter to a 3 year, $27.8 million dollar deal with a player option. Oh, Orlando. How you'll regret that, I think.

Chicago steals Kendrick Perkins for 2 years, $11.8 million. Nice contract for the Bulls. A bunch of offer sheets come in that same day, but I'm stunned to see the Dallas Mavericks sign Tony Parker to a 4 year, $23.6 million deal. Sure, it has a team option, but where's the Baron Davis love?

Samuel Dalembert's crazy hair goes to the Celtics on a 1 year, $5.9 million, I think was. Perkins was better, but whatevs. Yao and Oden re-sign with their teams.

...HOLY ****! Oklahoma City signs Zach Randolph for 5 years, $68.2 million, or almost $10 million LESS than I signed Gasol for. My sad little consolation is that Z-Boobs will be 33 in the last year of that contract, and probably an albatross, while my Gasol bro will be 30 and still going strong.

In other big news, Washington gets Reggie Williams for 5 years, $29.5 million. I only notice or care because I hear some guy with the Raptors likes him.

Boston keeps loading up on old dudes, signing Peja Stojakovic to a 1 year deal.

Nice grab by Cleveland, getting Arron Afflalo for 2 years, $11.8 million. That's going to be a fun, scoring backcourt to watch with Mo Williams.

GOD DAMN IT, MINNESOTA! CURRY CAN EFFING PLAY SHOOTING GUARD! HE'S A BETTER SHOOTING GUARD THAN THE DUDE I'M TRADING FOR! STOP BEING ASSHOLES! I HATE YOU!!!!!

This is my head about to explode as teams continue to mock me. I'm about ready to throw my phone and my laptop at the wall.

So we start looking at backup options and hit on one.

PG Jose Calderon
Toronto Raptors 2012 2nd round pick
Toronto Raptors 2013 2nd round pick
Toronto Raptors 2014 2nd round pick

Toronto Raptors receive
PG Raymond Felton

Although not a flashy passer, Calderon is one of the most ball secure point guards in the entire league. He's also a $9.7 million expiring and the Clippers get a boatload of high 2nd round draft picks.

What this means for the Raptors
Felton brings defense and defensive playmaking that the Raptors lacked. He's also more of a scoring threat than Calderon, which will help take some of the pressure off Andrea Bargnani. Signed for two more seasons.

Winner: Toronto
They get the best player in this deal and the Clippers are now over the cap, which will raise Donald Sterling's blood pressure even higher than it already is.

...Okay, I'm *this* close to snapping. Nobody ****ing wants Stephen Curry? Really? REALLY?

You've got to come close to matching the best thing in the deal

EXCUSE ME IF A 23 YEAR OLD 3.5/4.5 STAR POINT GUARD IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU! THAT'S 4.5! TRADING FOR 4.0 STAR BIG MEN!

23 year old star PG, first round pick, 3 high seconds and a 2 arrow overpay? More of the god damned same thing. If I wanted a Trade AI that was this much of an asshole, I'd go get raped in FOF instead. I've seen ripoff GMs in MP leagues that weren't this sadistic.

Just for the fun of it, I see if Golden State would do the tradeback with Curry and Louis Amundson for Blake Griffin. They do the not enough value thing a couple times, so I throw a couple seconds in.

Guess what?

You've got to come close to matching the best thing on our side of the deal if you want to make a trade.

*head snap*

I fire Vinny Del Negro, then hire myself, then fire myself. Jeff Van Gundy, who readers of a prior chronicle will recognize and who wanted to bring back to the pro leagues, is available, so I hire him as head coach. Doesn't change the lineup any but at least I have a coach I like.

I get a bottle of Mountain Dew: Pitch Black, the best soda ever and one that's finally back on the market (at Walgreen's) for a limited time after years of being off the shelves.

Take a drink, review the situation again, and I see a target I really liked who I completely missed before.

PF Tiago Splitter
San Antonio Spurs 2014 1st round pick

San Antonio Spurs receive
PG Stephen Curry

The Red and White lacked a PF worthy of note all last season and they score a brilliant pickup here in getting last season's Rookie of the Year in Splitter. The Brazilian still has a ways to go on his development, but should become a shutdown frontcourt defender and a good, high % scorer in the fullness of time. Clippers GM Jestor is banking on the Spurs declining once Tim Duncan retires. This also means Jose Calderon, who is likely more suited to run the offense, takes over at point guard.

What this means for the Spurs
San Antonio now has a dangerous outside/inside combination with Curry and Duncan, and, even better for the Spurs, they'll now have time to develop DeJuan Blair, an undersized but tantalizing prospect who scouts are calling a 2nd round steal if he develops to his potentials. He'll start at PF. The real gamble here, of course, is that the first might blow up in the Spurs' face, but the former Davidson star makes an attractive franchise face for when Timmy D retires.

Both teams get major benefits out of this one, but the real winner might be Jestor's heart, as he was overheard swearing at opposing GMs during heated, prolonged trade negotations.

Tranquility after an apoplectic fit is one of the best feelings in the world. It really is.

Back to free agency.

Carl Landry goes to Memphis for 4 years, $26.1 million. Means Atlanta gave up their first for basically nothing last year. That first was Cameron Risinger, who the Kings stupidly turned into Speights, despite having drafted Ryan Hoiberg first overall. But it's not like the Grizzlies win, either. Don't even try telling me Landry comes close to Z-Boobs.

Andrei Kirlenko gets a 1 year, $5.9 mil. deal from the Hawks, speaking of Atlanta. Rudy Fernandez turned his solid play in summer league for us into a two year min-sal deal from the Jazz.

I belatedly realize we're $1.4 million over the cap and only have 12 players. Nobody wants any of my expiring contracts, even for a lousy 2nd round pick. We're even willing to pay 2nd rounders, but no one's budging.

So we go more over the cap, inking Dexter Pittman, the big boy, to a two year min-sal, and one of my favorite pro players of the modern era, Allen "The Answer" Iverson to a one year min-sal.

$3.4 million over the cap.

I may be fired at the end of the season.

Watch me not care.

Although if I can move Ronny Turiaf at some point during the year, we can squeeze under the cap.

Training Camp
Eutor Tarrafel looks to have slightly greater upside than his post-draft camp first look suggested, but nobody else really improved of the young guys, which is a little disappointing. We'll see how it goes during the year.

We're able to get back under the cap after training camp by trading Ronny Turiaf to the Pacers for a couple of second round picks, their 2013 and 2014 selections. I'll take that, especially since I want more playing time for Timofey Mozgov and Dexter Pittman, who I think are diamonds in the rough.

Donald Sterling is so happy about our getting back under the cap, he tells me my job is secure as long as I stick to that. ...Yeah, we'll see.

Preview
East
Miami Heat
Chicago Bulls
New York Knicks
New Jersey Nets
Milwaukee Bucks
West
Oklahoma City Thunder
Dallas Mavericks
Los Angeles Lakers
New Orleans Hornets
Golden State Warriors

In my mind there's a real dropoff between Miami/Chicago and the rest of the East. I'm going to be honest, I actually like the 76ers as the third team in the East. Jrue Holiday and Evan Turner is a great young backcourt, and Tyson Chandler is a very underrated center, who we forgot to bring back.

I absolutely agree with the Thunder #1 in the West. Jeff Green is a weak spot at C, but the rest of that lineup is awesome. Zach "Z-Boobs" Randolph will push them over the top. I'd actually consider the Hornets the #2 team, to be honest. We're slated 11th, but in my opinion, the West is wide open after OKC and New Orleans.

Although the Nuggets managed to win the title after Chauncey Billups tore his ACL, I agree Denver's not going to repeat and could in fact miss the playoffs. James Anderson at PG will kill them in the 140 days before Billups returns.

Los Angeles Clippers 2011 Opening Night Lineup
PG Jose Calderon
SG Eutor Taffarel (R)
SF Danny Granger
PF Tiago Splitter
C Marc Gasol
6th Nicolas Batum (SF)
7th Ryan Gomes (SF/PF)
8th Timofey Mozgov (SF/PF/C)
9th Eric Bledsoe (PG/SG/SF)
10th Allen Iverson (PG/SG)
11th Dexter Pittman (C)
12th Louis Amundson (PF/C)

I forgot Amundson was a UNLV alum, but it's always nice having a Runnin' Rebel at the team. I don't agree with Mozgov and Bledsoe at SF, but hopefullly they won't play there.

I feel like our team is much more talented and deeper than it was last season. Danny Granger, Marc Gasol and Tiago Splitter will power the offense most likely. I'm intrigued to see what Eutor Taffarel does.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:30 AM   #21
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Good stuff

Thanks.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #22
MrBug708
Head Coach

I expect 4-5 long posts a day
Old 06-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #23
Izulde
Head Coach

MrBug708: I'll try and get one a day a least.

I have to say, I'm pretty excited about our team this year. While I don't know that we'll be anything more than a playoff team again, I feel like the foundation is there.

Although I originally wanted Ricky Rubio along with Marc Gasol and Eutor Taffarel, Jose Calderon fills in to preserve our all-Spanish backcourt and trio of players from Espana. That makes me happy. I'll admit, I miss Granada quite a bit.

We play fantastic defense in the opener and beat the Jazz 95-83. Tiago Splitter has a great debut with 21 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 2 steals. My man Allen Iverson scores 11 bench points and Timofey Mozgov double-doubles for 11 points and 10 rebounds.

Tough loss the next night in Phoenix, 102-99. We blew it in the fourth quarter, outscored 29-16. I hate seeing Marc Gasol's 26 points and 16 rebounds and Danny Granger's 21 points and 3 steals all go to nothing.

I'm happy when we rashambeau those pain in the ass Timberwolves 100-76 on Danny Granger's 31 points and 3 steals and Eric Bledsoe's 14 bench points.

124-105 revenge on the Suns is spearheaded by Danny Granger's 27 points, 20 points each from Tiago Splitter and Marc Gasol, and nifty little 10 point, 10 assist double from Jose Calderon.

Know what's even better than revenge? Beating the formerly 4-0 Houston Rockets 101-91. Danny Granger again takes point with 29 points, 8 rebounds, and 3 blocks, Marc Gasol doubles for 13 points and 11 rebounds, and Eutor Taffarel scores 10+ points for the first time in his young pro career, hitting 7 of 9 shots for 17 points.

The Grizzlies get gashed 128-86 behind Tiago Splitter's 28 points and 11 rebounds, Danny Granger's 34 points and 3 blocks, Jose Calderon's 10 points and 11 assists, and 13 and 12 bench points from Eric Bledsoe and Timofey Mozgov.

Unfortunately, San Antonio clips us 101-78 on the back end. Danny Granger went a horrific 6 of 29 for his 27 points. Quiet game from Stephen Curry - 13 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 5 turnovers.

Reports of Cleveland's competence have been exaggerated, the Cavaliers falling 111-83 to drop to 2-6. Marc Gasol hits 10 of 11 shots for 22 points, 11 rebounds, joined in the double-double category by Tiago Splitter's 19 points, 11 rebounds, and 3 blocks. Allen Iverson finds some of his old form for 15 points and 9 assists off the bench.

We rout the Rockets 123-88 as Tiago Splitter goes off for 19 points and 17 rebounds, Jose Calderon chips in 10 points and 11 assists, and Timofey Mozgov rises off the bench for 18 points and 8 rebounds.

The Kings stage a fourth quarter rally, but we slip by Sacramento 98-94. Tiago Splitter plays a terrific all-around game with 18 points, 9 rebounds, 3 steals, and 3 blocks, Marc Gasol puts up 15 points, 14 rebounds, and 4 blocks, Jose Calderon just misses a double-double with 18 points, 9 assists, and Eric Bledsoe scores 12 to lead the reserves.

Finally we win a back-to-back, but even though it's a 128-80 laugher, it was against the Timberwolves, so it doesn't count for much. Danny Granger goes off for 40 points and 9 rebounds and Allen Iverson, Eric Bledsoe, and Timofey Mozgov stair-step a 12, 11, 10 point second team showcase.

We've been playing great, but the Lakers remind us who still rules LA, beating us 105-99. Danny Granger chucks his way (8 of 25) to 27 points and Pau Gasol owns his brother with a 23 point, 12 rebound, 3 block game. Eric Bledsoe and Nicolas Batum's 12 and 10 bench points just couldn't overcome poor shooting by our starters.

Our first losing streak of the season, 110-93 defeat to the Knicks. 37 points for Danny Granger, 10 bench points for Nicolas Batum.

The good news - We're 9-4 and leading the Pacific by a game over the Lakers. The bad news - We way overpaid for Marc Gasol, continuing my tradition of terrible luck in free agency. He's been a solid starter, but not on the All-NBA 2nd Team level he was last year. Danny Granger is shooting a disappointing 36.4% from the floor, belying his impressive 26.2 points a game. He, too, doesn't look like the All-NBA 3rd Team guy he was last season.

But it's early yet, and the most important thing is, we're winning, and Tiago Splitter is definitely looking like a cornerstone piece. But if this recent losing streak continues, I'll have to shake things up a bit.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #24
Taz13
n00b

Nice start to the season, too bad Mr. Sterling won't notice unless you are bringing in some record crowds. Then again, I don't think Clipper fans know what it is like to have a winner. Hopefully the season continues on this winning path.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #25
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz13 View Post
Nice start to the season, too bad Mr. Sterling won't notice unless you are bringing in some record crowds. Then again, I don't think Clipper fans know what it is like to have a winner. Hopefully the season continues on this winning path.

Well, we had a winning record last year and made the playoffs. I'm hoping to do the same again this season. I wonder when the last time the Clippers made the playoffs two years in a row was.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #26
Izulde
Head Coach

I have to admit, it feels really strange to have a SF as our #1 option. No matter the variant of Jestorball, whether Classic or CP3ian, the SF is traditionally a floater position, designed more for a glue guy and/or shutdown defender than the top scorer.

One trade last month and it occurred a few days ago.

Portland Trailblazers receive
C Al Horford

Atlanta Hawks receive
C Marcus Camby
Portland Trailblazers 2012 1st round pick

What this means for the Trailblazers
Horford, 24, made the All-Star game last year and fits in fantastically with Portland's youth movement alongside Brandon Roy, Al-Farouq Aminu, and Lamarcus Aldridge. Now all Portland needs is a young point guard to serve as Andre Miller's heir apparent and they'll be an impressive team for years to come.

Even at 37, Camby has the rebounding and defensive ability to match Horford. As of December 1st, Atlanta is 14-2, so this is about getting another veteran player to go for it this season, along with a mid-late first for the future. Oh, and did we mention Camby's a $9.2 million expiring, as opposed to Horford's multi-year commitment?

Atlanta overpaid for Joe Johnson a couple summers ago and this trade gives the financial flexibility they need to resign Josh Smith in a couple years. Works out well for the situation each respective team is in.

...Really? We lose 93-90 at home to the 1-13 Grizzlies. 11 and 10 bench points from Allen Iverson and Nicolas Batum. Mr. Danny Granger chucks again at 7 of 22. That's it. I've had it.

SG Xavier Henry
Memphis Grizzlies 2012 2nd round pick

Memphis Grizzlies receive
SF Danny Granger

Henry is still quite raw, but the second year prospect has considerable upside to be a very good three position player (PG/SG/SF) in the league. 6'6, 210 is nice size for a SG and the Clippers also get a high 2nd. And of course, there's shedding $10 million in salary to make Donald Sterling happy.

What this means for the Grizzlies
Poor shooting cost Granger his place in Los Angeles, but now O.J. Mayo doesn't have to try and do it all himself and the 2 win Grizzlies can have a much more diverse offense.

Winner: Los Angeles
GM Jestor favorite Nicolas Batum becomes a starter again, and the Frenchman was a key part of the Clippers' run to the playoffs last year. Henry also becomes an intriguing 6th man to watch. Granger, on the other hand, won't put the Grizzlies anywhere near the playoffs and could cost them valuable lottery position.

104-86 loss to the Celtics and we're now on a four game skid. 12 and 10 points for Ryan Gomes and Timofey Mozgov off the bench.

Happily, a 105-85 road win in Indiana ends the drought. All five starters score 10+ points, highlights provided by Marc Gasol (15 points, 18 rebounds, 3 blocks), and Eutor Taffarel, who just misses his first 20 point game with 19 as the team's higher scorer. It's 11 and 10 bench points for Ryan Gomes and Timofey Mozgov this game. Joakim Noah was great against us with 20 points, 11 rebounds, and 5 blocks, but Paul George went 0 for 10 against Batum's D.

Night after, a 111-81 win over the Nets. Eric Bledsoe scores 25 points in 23 minutes, pairing with Tiago Splitter's 18 points and 10 rebounds and Marc Gasol's 11 points and 13 rebounds. Credit Timofey Mozgov's 10 bench points, too.

The Wizards end things with a 102-93 triumph and only 14 point, 9 rebound reserve Timofey Mozgov didn't play like shit.

113-87 rebound over the Bulls, as Tiago Splitter goes nuts for 35 points. Marc Gasol puts up 15 points and 14 rebounds and the reserves really come out to play: 14, 10, 10 points for Timofey Mozgov, Ryan Gomes, and Xavier Henry, the latter of whom also stole 4 balls and had his best game yet in a Clippers uniform.

I can't stop grinning after our 106-93 shocking of the Lakers. Tiago Splitter produces 19 points and 15 rebounds and Marc Gasol's the better brother this game with 15 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 blocks. 12 bench points for Ryan Gomes.

Paranoid about hangover effect against the Kings, but we sweep the doubleheader 122-115. This was all about balance, with all five starters in double-digit scoring. Xavier Henry gets the start at SG, because Nicolas Batum's foot soreness had Jeff Van Gundy sliding Eutor Taffarel to SF. So what does Henry do? Lead the team in scoring with 19 points. 13 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists for Marc Gasol, 16 and 12 bench points for Ryan Gomes and Timofey Mozgov.. but the biggest game of them all goes to Allen "The Answer" Iverson, who rewards my Favored Player Status with 14 points, 12 assists, and 0 turnovers off the bench.

Oh look, another game against the Lakers. Oh look, Jose Calderon of all people picking up 26 points and 3 steals, Ryan Gomes 10 points and 4 steals off the bench in a 113-87 Clippers crushing of the Purple and Gold.

The defending champs come to town and if they lose to us, they fall to 11-12. Below .500 Denver refuses to be and the Nuggets punch us in the mouth, 113-105. We had no answer for Carmelo Anthony's 34 points, although why the hell Nicolas Batum was off the bench for 13 points rather than going after Melo, I have no idea. Seriously, why is Timofey Mozgov starting at SF?

Hello, shootout! Action-packed 134-123 OT win over Philadelphia, my sexy pick in the East. Jose Calderon fires off 26 points, Marc Gasol 22 points, 9 rebounds and 3 blocks. 17, 13, 10 bench points for Nicolas Batum, Eric Bledsoe, and Xavier Henry.

109-97 road loss to the Magic. 23 points and 13 rebounds for Tiago Splitter and 17 and 12 bench points for Nicolas Batum and Eric Bledsoe. But when Marc Gasol only plays 19 minutes and fouls out, no wonder defending MVP Dwight Howard burns us for 37 points, 15 rebounds, and 5 blocks.

Atlanta is now 25-2 after beating us 106-91. 17 points, 12 rebounds, 3 block for Marc Gasol was our best showing. That Mike Bibby/Joe Johnson backcourt combines for 55 points and there's no way in hell Johnson is merely All-NBA 3rd Team this year. Right now, he's looking All-NBA 1st Team and worthy of MVP votes - 4th in league scoring at 27.4 points a game, with 4.1 rebounds, 3.8 assists, and 1.5 steals a game. Next best Hawk? Andrei Kirilenko with 14.1 points, who with his surprise scoring in addition to his traditional shutdown defense has to be the biggest free agent steal of the year. AK-47 is a big part in Atlanta's #1 defense - 92.1 points allowed/game. Reminds me a lot of Tree Rollins and my GAH New York Knicks, who despite just squeaking into the playoffs at 36-46, shocked everyone in winning the East Conference. We're up against Paul Westphal's Phoenix Suns, though, and are down 0-2 after two games. Still damn impressive, though, especially since we're running three rookies in the starting lineup: Rollins (#3 overall pick), Rickey Green (#7 overall pick) and either Sam Smith/Ernie Grunfeld (both 2nd round picks).

The Mavericks are under .500, but they still kick our asses 120-99. 14 points, 17 rebounds for Marc Gasol, 14 bench points for Xavier Henry. The problem is, we lack that go-to scorer we had in Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry, and Danny Granger.

At least Christmas isn't a total loss, as we beat the Spurs 116-107 in San Antonio the evening after. Marc Gasol has his best game in a long time with 21 points, 11 rebounds and 5 blocks. Jose Calderon distributes 13 points and 11 assists, and 13 and 11 bench points respectively from Eric Bledsoe and Xavier Henry.

115-88 rout of Raptors, thanks to Xavier Henry's 20 points and 4 steals in 17 minutes. The other noteworthy performance is Eric Bledsoe's 15 bench points. Nice to see our reserves doing work.

We clunk a 104-95 loss to Golden State to end the calendar year. 19 points, 14 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 blocks for Marc Gasol and 12 bench points out of Xavier Henry.

So after that up and down month, we're 18-12. We're still leading the Pacific, but by only a half-game over the Lakers. We're also #3 in the West, but given our more or less .500 play, we're probably more like a #7 or #8 seed when all is said and done.

New Orleans is the top team in the West at 23-7. Told you they were better than #3, but Oklahoma City, who everyone tabbed at #1, is 15-17. It's Portland who's filled that void, now 19-12 to lead the Northwest.

Atlanta is 27-3 out East and the Heat are looking merely good at 19-12. Old age is serving 22-8 Boston well, but the biggest non-Hawks surprise has to be Milwaukee at 20-10, who are the only Central team over .500. The Bulls are 13-18 and in third place, half-game behind 12-16 Cleveland.

Talk about craziness in the East. Not what I expected to see at all. Then again, I didn't really expect us to lead the Pacific two months in a row, either.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #27
Izulde
Head Coach

No trades last month.

Oh, and for all the haters out there, I'd like to point that Jose Calderon has a 5.6 A/TO ratio. Yeah. That's what I'm talking about.

Tiago Splitter almost singlehandedly carries us to a 113-103 win over Oklahoma City, posting a ridiculous 42 points, 11 rebounds and 3 blocks. Hat tip to Xavier Henry's 11 bench points. I love how Splitter's stepped up as our #1 option after Danny Granger's departure.

11 points, 12 rebounds, and 4 blocks from Tiago Splitter in our narrow 100-94 win over Utah. Balanced offense ruled the day, as signified by three players with 14 bench points - Xavier Henry, Ryan Gomes and Timofey Mozgov.

Fans get treated to a 118-115 thriller over San Antonio in our next game. All five starters with 11+ points, keynoted by Jose Calderon's 21 points. Once again, the reserves played a big part, with 14 and 13 points from Timofey Mozgov and Xavier Henry.

The back end is another nail-biter, but we emerge 95-92 winners against the Warriors thanks to Marc Gasol's 18 points and 13 rebounds and 13 and 12 bench points from Xavier Henry and Timofey Mozgov, who have really stepped up their play after the holidays.

No heart stress in a 102-80 home romp versus the Pacers. Tiago Splitter ices Indiana for 25 points, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocks and Marc Gasol brings the rejections too, with 16 points, 11 rebounds and 4 blocks. Xavier Henry scores 14 to lead the second unit and he's becoming a great 6th man.

We finally drop a close one, 86-82, to Orlando. Timofey Mozgov continues his solid play with 14 points and 10 rebounds, and Xavier Henry scores 13.

Marc Gasol owns the post with 25 points, 15 rebounds and 5 blocks in our 104-98 win in Houston. Tiago Splitter is right there with him, scoring 22. Eric Bledsoe and Xavier Henry pace the bench with 16 and 10 points.

Bad news in the loss with Eric Bledsoe spraining his wrist so bad he's questionable for the next two weeks. Tiago Splitter's got a minor injury too that could affect his status for a game or two.

We respond by going to New Orleans the very next night and completing a beautiful doubleheader sweep of two excellent teams. It was a 105-103 coronary bruiser that saw Marc Gasol taking charge in Splitter's absence, compiling 25 points, 12 rebounds, and 5 assists. Xavier Henry keeps his streak alive with 13 bench points.

The Hawks have lost 4 games this month already by the time they play us and we win our umpteenth cardiac game of the month, 99-97. Xavier Henry's streak is finally snapped by a single point, which is sad, but I'd rather the win. Marc Gasol does work with 28 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 steals. Still not worth his massive contract, to be honest, but considering how damned rare worthy bigs are in this league, it was a necessary overpay. He's also been the man these two games.

With all the games we've won this month we should have lost, it's hard to get too mad about our 105-99 drop to the Pistons. 21 points, 14 rebounds, 5 blocks for Marc Gasol, 11 bench points for Xavier Henry.

All five starters with 10+ points, including Marc Gasol's 24 points, 15 rebounds, and 3 blocks, and benchmen Ryan Gomes (14 points), Xavier Henry (13 points), and Timofey Mozgov (11 points), lead us to victory in a 126-113 shootout with Phoenix.

Although Marc Gasol got 12 points and 13 rebounds, and Ryan Gomes and Timofey Mozgov keyed the reserves with 13 and 12 bench points, it was Eutor Taffarel who win his first Player of the Game award in our 110-94 win over the Wizards. Our Spanish rookie matched his career high with 19 points on 7/14 shooting, 5/10 from behind the arc. He also held Gilbert Arenas to 4 of 15 for 13 points, 10.3 below Arenas's season average.

No miracle vs New Orleans this time, the Hornets beating us soundly, 95-85. Only Clipper that didn't stink up the joint was Xavier Henry and his 13 bench points.

So much for Miami mystique. We take the Heat to the woodshed, 121-101, riding balance signified by Tiago Splitter's 17 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, and 5 blocks, and by three bench players with 14 points. Naturally it's the usual suspects - Xavier Henry, Eric Bledsoe, and Timofey Mozgov.

29-15 is awesome, but the Lakers became the Lakers this month and have a half-game lead on us at 31-16. Right now we'd be the 5 seed with home court advantage over the 4 seed Timberwolves as I understand it. It's a little over halfway through the season and we're in very good shape as far as the playoffs go - 6 games in front of the 7th seed Warriors, so even if we regress to what I think is our expected mean, the postseason looks easily in reach.

Atlanta's still the best record at 34-10, but they no longer look otherworldly.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #28
MrBug708
Head Coach

Good stuff, Henry seems to be pretty valuable as a 6th man
Old 06-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #29
Izulde
Head Coach

Yeah I agree. I think that's precisely where his ultimate role will lie, as I feel like Bledsoe has the better upside, but we'll see.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #30
Izulde
Head Coach

Trade action.

Houston Rockets receive
PF Michael Beasley

Minnesota Timberwolves receive
PG Kyle Lowry
Houston Rockets 2012 1st round pick

What this means for the Rockets
Although listed as PF, the 22 year old Beasley's size and game is more suited to SF. Terrible shooter, although he's better than he was last year. Despite the name recognition, he just isn't a good player, even though Houston's forward situation is such that he's a starter.

What this means for the Timberwolves
Lowry's a great defender and secure with the ball, but he's also a poor shooter. Even worse, he's a bad contract and buried on the Timberwolves' inactive list. Another first round pick is nice for Minnesota, but not that nice, considering it's a mid-late first.

Winner: Houston
Despite Beasley's shooting woes, he does have the upside to get better and become a good shooter. Lowry's contract is an albatross for Minnesota.

Once again Denver's under-over .500 fate lies with us and once again they beat us, 112-90. We just do not match up well with them at all. 25 points, 10 rebounds for Marc Gasol, 20 points for Tiago Splitter, 11 bench points for Eric Bledsoe.

121-97 loss to Dallas the next night with Marc Gasol's 14 points, 13 rebounds and Ryan Gomes 10 bench points the only highlights.

The losing streak hits three, 119-96 to Philadelphia. Allen Iverson and Ryan Gomes did well, netting 13 and 12 bench points, but everyone else played like crap.

I'm beginning to think I made a mistake in hiring Jeff Van Gundy, when we reverse course and beat the Cs 102-97 in Boston to stop the drought. Incidentally it's also the first game this month Eutor Taffarel has played, our first round pick having dealt with injury issues. Marc Gasol leads the way with 19 points, 14 rebounds, support coming from reserves Timofey Mozgov (12 points, 9 rebounds), Eric Bledsoe (12 points), and Xavier Henry (11 points).

But then we drop the back end of the doubleheader, 110-102 to a terrible Toronto team. Best event of the night? Allen Iverson's 11 points in just 7 minutes.

We barely beat the sad-sack Pistons 100-92 on Tiago Splitter's 20 points and 9 rebounds, Marc Gasol's 18 points, 10 rebounds and 4 blocks, and Ryan Gomes and Xavier Henry's 11 and 10 bench points.

A fourth quarter rally swings a key playoff position game our way, a narrow 117-114 victory over Portland. Tiago Splitter dominates for 25 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 blocks, and Xavier Henry, Eric Bledsoe, and Nicolas Batum spark the second team with a staircase 12, 11, 10 bench points.

It's calming to see us get the sweep, especially since the second game was our best of the month - a 108-88 tromping of the Thunder. Marc Gasol absolutely owns the post with 20 points and 23 rebounds, Tiago Splitter none too shabby himself with 15 points, 11 rebounds, and 3 blocks. Jose Calderon rips off 20 points, and Nicolas Batum scores 11 bench points.

Nice to have three straight wins before the All-Star break, particularly given how out of it we looked to start the month.

All-Star Festivities
Stanley Robinson of the Toronto Raptors wins the slam dunk contest and Kyle Korver wins his second straight 3 point shooting contest. Makes me think I should maybe go get him.

An absolutely thrilling Rookies-Sophomores game this year, one that saw the first years win 126-122 in OT. Mills Jolly, who I thought was the best all-around potential PG in the draft, although with a bad handling ceiling, took home MVP honors with 26 points, 8 rebounds, and 6 assists. Looking like a nice pick for Memphis at #10 overall. Eutor Taffarel started for the Rookies and acquitted himself well - 19 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, a steal, and a turnover on 7/16 shooting, 3/8 from behind the arc. Tiago Splitter started for the sophomores and was 7/12 for 17 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 steals.

What about #1 overall pick Ryan Hoiberg, you ask? He tore his ACL on January 2nd and is done for the year. A damn shame too, as he was putting up 16.4 points, 8.4 rebounds, and 1.1 blocks, but durability was the biggest knock on him coming out of college. It appears that health risk has indeed come to pass.

The West beat the East pretty handily - 142-127. Chris Paul was named Game MVP due to 17 points, 17 assists, and 4 steals. We actually had a representative this year. Marc Gasol played 8 minutes off the bench and scored 5 points.

I decide to do some browsing of the available goods on the trade deadline market. Joakim Noah's on the block, interestingly enough, as is Danny Granger. Oh look, Raymond Felton's on the block, too, and so is John Wall.

Wait, what? Wall's available?

PG John Wall
C Brad Jones
PG Kirk Hinrich

Washington Wizards receive
C Marc Gasol
SG Xavier Henry
Toronto Raptors 2012 2nd round pick
Los Angeles Clippers 2013 1st round pick

GM Jestor coveted UNLV alum Jones from the very beginning, and his general sense also was that he overpaid for Gasol in free agency Jones isn't the rebounder that Gasol is, but he's a defensive presence and can block shots with the best of them. Wall is already an ideal Jestorball PG and he has the upside to only get better n his passing, handling, and stealing. Hinrich is just here to make salaries work.

What this means for the Wizards
Washington lacked a star player and offensive scorer in the post and now they have that in the younger Gasol, not to mention a ferocious rebounder. Henry bounced back and forth between the starting lineup and the bench during his short time in LA, and he's locked down at the SF starter with Washington. The Clippers first will probably be a mid to late selection, as all of LA's key players are 26 and under, but Washington does get a high 2nd round pick for their troubles.

Both teams get a lot to love in this deal and both of them gave up something significant to get the things they wanted. The Wizards are a playoff team in the East at 27-26, and so are the Clippers in the West at 33-19, so it will be interesting to see how their fortunes pan out.

I am absolutely thrilled with this trade. I got the point guard I can plug in there for the next 10 years and I got my Runnin' Rebel to start at C. I still have way too many 2nd round picks, but at least I got rid of one of them. We also have the Mavericks' 2013 1st, which is why I was willing to deal our pick in that year.

Our new lineup:

PG John Wall
SG Eutor Taffarel
SF Timofey Mozgov/Nicolas Batum
PF Tiago Splitter
C Brad Jones

The new starting five gets a 99-83 debut win over the Bobcats. Tiago Splitter scores 20, as does John Wall, the latter of whom also had 6 assists to 3 turnovers in his first game as a Clipper. Eric Bledsoe and Jose Calderon paced the bench with 14 and 11 points respectively. My fellow Runnin' Rebel, Brad Jones, had a solid debut. He hit 4 of 8 shots for 8 points and 12 rebounds, sneering at the idea that he can't board like Marc.

Incidentally, Marc Gasol and Xavier Henry shot well in their Wizards' debut, as Washington steamrolled the Nuggets 127-93. But they didn't have a big impact on the game, not like Gilbert Arenas, who went off 42 points, 9 rebounds, and 7 assists in his first start at PG in a long time. Reggie "Hi, I'm Overrated" Williams scored 22 with 7 assists starting at Arenas' old SG spot.

We beat Golden State on the road the night after, an impressive 110-96 win. John Wall looking the real deal with 23 points, 15 assists to 2 turnovers. Tiago Splitter scores 21 and Brad Jones is ever-present in the post for 11 points, 14 rebounds and 4 blocks. 13 and 11 points for Nicolas Batum and Ryan Gomes off the bench.

Oh so thin and oh so beautiful 109-106 victory versus San Antonio. All five starters with 10+ points, including Tiago Splitter's 34 points and 10 rebounds, and John Wall's 15 points, 12 assists, and 8 rebounds. The win costs us Jose Calderon for a couple weeks with a calf injury, but we're deep enough at PG to withstand the loss.

The biggest sign of how great this trade is comes in Denver a few nights later. For the first time in forever we beat the Nuggets, 121-106. John Wall flourishes again with 29 points and 13 assists, and he's joined by Tiago Splitter's 22 points and 4 steals, Eric Bledsoe's 20 bench points, and Kirk Hinrich's 13 bench points. Unfortunately, Timofey Mozgov is questionable for two weeks with a finger injury, and Nicolas Batum is hurt for our next game.

So with all those injuries, our month-ending 107-89 road loss to the Blazers is no surprise. John Wall did his best with 34 points, but when he's the only offense on the night, that just isn't going to be enough.

I'm still happy, though. At 37-20, we're just barely ahead of San Antonio in the fight for the 3 seed. We went 4-1 after the trade and we would have given Portland a better challenge without the injuries.

Los Angeles Clippers Leaders
2. John Wall - 15.6 (14.8 with Washington, so he's fast on the rise)
3. Jose Calderon - 10.9 (the only other Clipper with 10+ points scored)

Rebounds
1. Brad Jones - 8.5 (8.6 with Washington)
2. Tiago Splitter - 7.1
3. Timofey Mozgov - 5.1 (only other Clipper with 5+ boards)

Assists
1. John Wall - 6.8 (6.5 with Washington, so this is on the rise too)
2. Jose Calderon - 6.7
3. Eric Bledsoe - 3.5

Blocks
1. Brad Jones - 2.0
T2. Tiago Splitter - 1.4
T2. Eutor Taffarel - 1.4

Steals
1. John Wall - 1.2
T2. Tiago Splitter - 0.9
T2. Brad Jones - 0.9
T2. Eric Bledsoe - 0.9

Jose Calderon with a 6.6 A/TO ratio. John Wall's 2.5 is a little low - I normally like to see at least 3 for my starting PG, but he's making up for it in other areas.

League Leaders
2. Kobe Bryant (LAL - 28.0
3. Lebron James (MIA) - 26.8

Assists
1. Chris Paul (NO) - 10.5
2. Deron Williams (UTA) - 10.3
3. Rajon Rondo (BOS) - 9.5

Rebounds
1. Dwight Howard (ORL) - 13.5
2. Andrew Bogut (MIL) - 13.0
3. Joakim Noah (IND) - 12.1

Looks like Noah didn't get traded after all.

Blocks
1. Andrew Bogut (MIL) - 3.5
2. Dwight Howard (ORL) - 3.3
T3. Pau Gasol (LAL) - 2.7
T3. Brendan Haywood (DAL) - 2.7

Rookies Leaders
2. Germayne Postell (TOR) - 12.1
3. Mills Jolly (MEM) - 11.7

Assists
1. Mills Jolly (MEM) - 5.4
2. Ricky Rubio (MIN) - 4.5
3. Hector Simmons (NY) - 4.1

Rebounds
1. Brad Jones (LAC) - 8.5
2. Germayne Postell (TOR) - 7.5
3. Clay Minahan (CHA) - 6.7

Blocks
1. Brad Jones (LAC) - 2.0
2. Sam Kitt (GSW) - 1.8
3. Germayne Postell (TOR) - 1.4
4. Eutor Taffarel (LAC) - 0.9

Steals
T1. Mills Jolly (MEM) - 1.3
T1. Brandon Molnar (DET) - 1.3
3. Andrew Kirtz (MIL) - 1.2
4. Arlon Knight (MIN) - 1.1

At this point, I'd call the Rookie of the Year race a three way tie between Postell (taken 2nd), Jolly (taken 10th), and Kirtz (taken 11th). Kirtz, a Duke alum, just might end up being one of the biggest steals in this draft by the time all is said and done.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:06 AM   #31
Izulde
Head Coach

So yeah, our trade totally rocked the NBA, but that's how I roll. Blockbuster Town, baby!

The other deadline deals:
NONE

Wow. Shocking considering the flurry of trades last year.

Also shocking - Brad Jones was named Rookie of the Month. See, Brad? UNLVers sticking together = good luck charm.

We celebrate the achievement with a 123-85 clobbering of the Kings. John Wall posts my favorite line of the year - 31 points, 11 assists, 0 turnovers and then Eric Bledsoe goes 7 of 7 from 3 point range for 29 points in 23 minutes. Talk about insane in the membrane.

Some of the players got a little too drunk when they went out after the game, so we're groggy the next night, just barely pulling out a 95-92 win over the Timberwolves. Brad Jones is Player of the Game with 16 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 2 steals, and Eric Bledsoe scores 16 bench points. I will never, ever trade Bledsoe. He's the one player from the prior regime who wows me as I said before, and I love him and Wall going from Kentucky to ending up playing on the same NBA team together. In fact, I could see a Bledsoe/Wall backcourt going on in a few seasons, which would be totally awesome.

We got upset 105-95 by the Kings, but it was a road game. 13 points, 11 assists the lone highlight, courtesy of John Wall.

Fortunately that's just a blip as we beat Dallas 106-89 in the next contest. Brad Jones just misses the double with 10 points, 9 rebounds, and 4 blocks and Eric Bledsoe is impressive with 17 points, 7 rebounds and 4 steals off the bench in winning Player of the Game. Dexter Pittman produces a surprise 10 bench points. The win is our 40th of the season.

Somehow Denver always manages to be at .500 when we play them, and we win this one 128-105 to send them back under. Tiago Splitter has his first big game in a while with 28 points and 3 blocks, while Eric Bledsoe scores 20 bench points, Jose Calderon 15 points and 7 assists as the other major player in the second stringers.

105-101 win over Utah powered by Tiago Splitter's 23 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 blocks and John Wall's 24 points for a great 1-2 outside-inside punch, exactly the way I envisioned this team after the deadline trade.

The problem with a team as young as ours is that we tend to falter on the road, and so we're knocked off 109-94 by Houston, Eric Bledsoe and Ryan Gomes's paired 11 bench points the only thing to write home about.

It's compounded with a 104-97 road loss to New Orleans the night after, with no performances really worth discussing. Kirk Hinrich and Jose Calderon complain about playing time. I refuse to comment and both get mad at me for not sacking up. O rly? Prepare to get hammered the next time you boys complain, then.

Playing a bad team on your home court always helps smooths things over, as we top Memphis 102-87. John Wall and Tiago Splitter each score 21, Brad Jones bangs his way to 10 points and 16 rebounds, and Jose Calderon makes his case for more PT with 12 points in 11 minutes. Credit Nicolas Batum's job on Danny Granger too, holding the All-NBA chucker to 8 of 24.

I seem to remember the Nets being a team that gives us trouble, and sure enough, we lose 117-114 in Los Angeles. 25 and 24 points from Tiago Splitter and Nicolas Batum and a pair of 13s off the bench from Eric Bledsoe and Louis Amundson don't matter when Amundson's fellow UNLV alum and John Wall both play like shit.

Nicolas Batum is our high scorer with 27 points off the bench (Last game was off the bench too, and I'm getting pretty annoyed with Jeff Van Gundy giving Timofey Mozgov starts there) to lead us to a 108-99 win over Golden State. 20 points from John Wall, 18 points and 12 rebounds from Tiago Splitter.

Milwaukee bashes us 112-76. Let's pretend that game never happened. Fortunately a few days after that, we beat Portland 116-107 on their turf. Nicolas Batum gets his starting job back and has his third straight 20+ game with 21 points. Tiago Splitter gets 19 points and 10 rebounds, John Wall 14 points and 11 assists. Ryan Gomes comes up with 17 bench points.

Tiago Splitter scores 32 points in our 120-99 road smackdown of the Cavaliers. He's abetted by John Wall's 16 points and 12 assists, Eric Bledsoe's 16 bench points, and Timofey Mozgov's 12 points and 8 rebounds, also off the bench.

Our first doubleheader in a long time ends a success, with a 108-87 cutdown of the Knicks in the Big Apple. Props to Tiago Splitter's 22 points, John Wall's 16 points and 10 assists, and Timofey Mozgov's 10 bench points, but what really makes me happy is Eutor Taffarel's 21 points, a career high and his first 20+ point game in the NBA.

We'll lose Tiago Splitter for a week and a half to a toe injury. Better now than in the playoffs. We're guaranteed to have a playoff spot, so I'll just go through the motions. At 34-39, Denver is indeed looking like a fluke champion last year like I thought they were, and may miss the postseason.

107-85 win over Charlotte thanks to all five starters in double-digit scoring, led by My fellow UNLV guy Brad Jones with a beautiful 20 point, 14 rebound, 6 assist, 4 block game, that his career high in scoring. John Wall is the other highlight with 23 points.

Even though we lose 123-115, I'm proud of how we played against Miami without Tiago. 20 points from Timofey Mozgov, 12 points, 11 assists from John Wall, but the best production was the bench - 17, 16, 10 points from Ryan Gomes, Eric Bledsoe, and Dexter Pittman.

Traveling from Miami to Chicago for back to back games is just wrong, so I'm not fussed about the 101-84 loss. 20, 14, 11 points for John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, and Ryan Gomes. I just want the regular season done with.

I do, however, want a 50 win season, so the 105-95 victory versus the Rockets makes me happy to get to Win 49. Brad Jones produces 16 points, 12 rebounds, and 3 blocks and Eric Bledsoe and Derrick Pittman do work with 11 and 10 bench points.

Annoyance sets in as we lose 115-105 to Phoenix, throwing away Brad Jones's 22 points and 11 rebounds, Tiago Splitter's 14 points and 10 rebounds, John Wall's 13 points and 10 assists, and Ryan Gomes's 14 bench points.

Ugly 90-81 loss to the Lakers. Whatever.

I think the players can sense me about to explode, because we blow out Minnesota 107-72 for that 50th win. Tiago Splitter's back fully in the groove with 28 points, 12 rebounds, and 3 blocks. Nicolas Batum drops 23 points from the bench, Eric Bledsoe 11. Oh, and Brad Jones doubles for 11 points, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocks.

Okay, let's just go through the rest. Oh, by the way, I shred Jose Calderon for slacking and he gets mad about it. Dexter Pittman has been hot, so I give him the love.

@ Utah - 95-103 L
vs Dallas - 117-88 W (Splitter - 23 points, Mozgov - 18 points, 7 rebounds, Gomes - 17 points)

!!!! John Wall gets back spasms in the Dallas game and is out a week and a half. Shit shit shit! Not good for the playoffs.

He insists on playing hurt for some crazy reason, but it's Eutor Taffarel's 21 points, Timofey Mozgov's crazy 7 points, 11 rebounds, and 8 blocks, and Jose Calderon's 11 bench points that give us the 99-93 win over Oklahoma City in the final game of the regular season.

West Playoff Seeding
1. Los Angeles Lakers (61-21)
2. New Orleans Hornets (58-24)
3. San Antonio Spurs (54-28)
4. Portland Trailblazers (46-36)
5. Los Angeles Clippers (52-30) (Home Court Advantage)
6. Dallas Mavericks (47-35)
7. Utah Jazz (45-37)
8. Houston Rockets (44-38)

Kevin Durant's Thunder missed out on the playoffs by losing to us, sitting home with their 43-39 record.

East Playoff Seeding
1. Atlanta Hawks (57-25)
2. Miami Heat (55-27)
3. Boston Celtics (51-31)
4. Milwaukee Bucks (49-33)
5. Orlando Magic (51-31) (Homecourt advantage)
6. Philadelphia 76ers (48-34)
7. Chicago Bulls (44-38)
8. Washington Wizards (42-40)

Wow, no under .500 teams in the East. Huge improvement. Washington made the playoffs thanks to our trade, so it worked out fantastic for both teams for this season at least.

6 days for John Wall to be back to full health. But Portland's missing Greg Oden, who broke his elbow in the Blazers' last game of the regular season. Old Man Oden's injury curse continues.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:01 AM   #32
Izulde
Head Coach

It's nice to have home court advantage, especially since, as I said, we tend to struggle on the road.

Point Guard
John Wall vs. Andre Miller

We'll give this to Wall: He's a warrior. The second year player is insisting on playing despite back spasms, taking a cortisone injection to stay in the game. That's the kind of toughness that draws the love of a fanbase. He averaged 15.6 points, 7.3 assists, and 1.1 steals between Washington and the Clippers and is one of the best young point guards in the game.

Miller is the complete opposite end of the age spectrum. 10.5 points and 6.3 assists during the regular season. Unlike Wall, he's just a respectable fifth starter, although his defense will be key to trying to contain the Clippers' hot up and coming star.

Shooting Guard
Eutor Taffarel vs. Brandon Roy

The 15th overall pick is a tall glass of water at SG at 6'7, 211 but he needs to improve his shot selection (38.3%). On the other hand, he shows signs of becoming a quality 3 point shooter (34.3% from long range) and the rookie's shown the occasional scoring burst. Also a defensive sieve. Averaged 9.5 points

Roy is a big SG himself, averaging 25 points, 4.7 rebounds, and 1.1 steals in the regular season, shooting 51.3%. He's a two time All-Star and was a 2nd Team All-NBA selection last year. He's salivating over the prospect of facing Taffarel's matador fee.

Advantage: Trailblazers

Small Forward
Timofey Mozgov/Nicolas Batum vs. Al-Farouq Aminu

We're really hoping to see Batum and Aminu face off in this series after being traded for each other in GM Jestor's first trade. But for right now Jeff Van Gundy sees fit to put the 7'1, 250 lb Russian Mozgov at SF Either way, Aminu is going to have to fight off a massive opponent, or an extremely skilled defender in Batum. Batum also was third in scoring at 10.2 points, despite the split-time duty, and frequently had 20 point games off the bench.

6.2 points, 5.1 rebounds, and 1.1 steals for Aminu reveal what the second year forward's role is turning into, that of a rebounding wing and defender, although not on Batum's level. Still, he's disciplined and knows his role.

Power Forward
Tiago Splitter vs. LaMarcus Aldridge

Splitter led the Clippers in scoring at 17.8 points a game. He also pulled in 7.4 rebounds and 1.7 blocks a game. An excellent defender with superlative intangibles, last season's Rookie of the Year is growing into the role of a #1 option on a quality team and, along with Wall, is a cornerstone of the Clippers' future.

Aldridge has developed into a quality second option, putting up 16.2 points and 7.4 rebounds in the regular season. He offers better rebounding than Splitter, but the Clippers' Brazilian is a more accurate shooter, so it all balances out.

Center
Brad Jones vs Al Horford

9.7 points, 9.1 rebounds, 2.2 blocks for the UNLV Runnin' Rebel in his rookie season. Although many considered him overdrafted at the 6th overall pick, he's fit quite well into the Clippers' lineup since coming over in the deadline deal with Wall. He won't score a ton, but he'll be accurate when he does shoot.

Portland's trade for Horford looks fantastic right about now. After Greg Oden went down with a broken elbow, the 24 year old stepped up and concluded the regular season with 12.9 points, 11.3 rebounds and a block per game. He's simply better and more developed than the rookie.

Advantage: Blazers

Bench

Either Batum or Mozgov is a good starting point for the Clippers' bench. Eric Bledsoe's 9.6 points and steal per game have impressed and while Jose Calderon's 9.5 points and 6 assists have been largely as a starter, his 7.2 A/TO ratio has been nothing short of breathtaking. Ryan Gomes also provides scoring pop at 7.2 points a game. But Mozgov in the lineup means a weak post bench situation.

Nevada-Reno rival alum Luke Babbitt serves as the Blazers' answer to Batum and Mario Chalmers' 6.4 points and 4.1 assists is less impressive than his deadly defense, a theme of Portland's reserves. But there's no bench bigs worth mentioning here, either.

Overall Thoughts

A 4 vs 5 seed is always a close matchup. The Clippers do have home field advantage, but Wall is hurt and that means one of their key weapons is going to be hampered. Portland should be able to control the paint and they actually have veterans, unlike the young L.A. team. Blazers for the win.
Prediction: Portland in 6

We'll see about that.

Game One
An amped up crowd here in the Staples Center for the early game, the Lakers getting higher billing of course. Brandon Roy comes out firing for 26 points, Al Horford just ridiculous with 13 points, 25 rebounds, and 3 blocks, and Al-Farouq Aminu is inspired to double for 10 points, 11 rebounds. Tiago Splitter responds with one of the most all-around great games ever - 23 points, 8 rebounds, 7 blocks and 3 steals. Nicolas Batum chimes in with 13 bench points and we hold Portland to 30.9% shooting for a surprisingly easy win.
Final - Blazers 74 Clippers 88

Game Two
Getting that Game 1 win is a huge confidence boost for our young team. Eutor Taffarel scores 22 points, Tiago Splitter does it again with 18 points, 11 rebounds, and 5 blocks, and Jose Calderon scores 10 bench points. But Brandon Roy got pissed off after the opening loss and scores 39, Al Horford continues to dominate our rookie with 18 points, 16 rebounds, and 5 assists, LaMarcus Aldridge gets 12 points and 11 rebounds, and, in the final insult, that asshole Wolfpack Luke Babbitt scores 11 bench points. Bye-bye to home court advantage.
Final - Blazers 108 Clippers 90

Game Three
And so up north we fly to Portland. Unfortunately, there's just no stopping Brandon Roy, who scores 29. Or Al Horford, who gets 16 points, 17 rebounds, and 3 blocks and holds Brad Jones to 0 points. Mario Chalmers pounds us some more with 19 bench points. Hard to get excited about Tiago Splitter's 27 points, 10 rebounds, and 3 steals or Eric Bledsoe and Nicolas Batu's 12 and 11 bench points.
Final - Clippers 95 Blazers 108

Game Four
We need to be able to steal this one to have a hope of winning this series. That's not going to have when all five Portland starters score 10+ points, LaMarcus Aldridge's 32 points, 15 rebounds and Al Horford's 10 points, 16 rebounds, 3 blocks the leaders. Nicolas Batum is our only noteworthy player with 11 bench points. Now down 3-1 and we're pretty much done.
Final - Clippers 79 Blazers 98

Game Five
Just don't let us lose the series at home. That's all I ask. John Wall wakes up and scores 25 and Tiago Splitter adds 23 points. But Al Horford power his way to 23 points, 23 rebounds, and 5 assists, Brandon Roy fires off 28 points, 10 rebounds, and 5 assists, and fucking Luke Babbitt scores 10 bench points.
Final - Blazers 104 Clippers 94

Needless to say, we are going to have big changes this offseason. Really big changes. Only John Wall and Tiago Splitter are safe.

I'm so annoyed I can't even feel glee over Chicago's sweep of Miami. Lakers win in 5, Mavericks pull off the upset in 5. Hawks win in 6, and Orlando, Boston, and Utah all win in 7.

Lakers and Mavericks make it to the West Finals where Dallas wins in 6 and it's Chicago and Orlando in the East, where Da Bulls sweep the Magic. Chicago goes on to win the championship for the first time since the Jordan years, beating Dirk's Mavs in six games.

Lottery
14. Oklahoma City Thunder
13. New Jersey Nets
12. Denver Nuggets
11. New York Knicks
10. Golden State Warriors
9. Sacramento Kings
8. Cleveland Cavaliers
7. Detroit Pistons
6. Toronto Raptors (-1)
5. Phoenix Suns (-1)
4. Indiana Pacers (-2)
3. Memphis Grizzlies (+3)
2. Charlotte Bobcats (+1)
1. Minnesota Timberwolves

2011 NBA Awards
MVP
Chris Paul - New Orleans Hornets - 23.7 PPG 10.3 APG 4.4 RPG 2.0 SPG
Defensive Player of the Year
Dwight Howard - Orlando Magic - 23.5 PPG 13.9 RPG 3.4 BPG
6th Man of the Year
Samuel Dalembert - Boston Celtics - 7.6 PPG 7.3 RPG 1.8 BPG
Rookie of the Year
Brad Jones - Los Angeles Clippers - 9.7 PPG 9.1 RPG 2.2 BPG

Coach of the Year
Monty Williams - New Orleans Hornets

Cool to see my fellow Runnin' Rebel win Rookie of the Year, but I don't think he really deserved it.

All-NBA 1st Team
PG Chris Paul - New Orleans Hornets
SG Kobe Bryant - Los Angeles Lakers
SF Lebron James - Miami Heat
PF Pau Gasol - Los Angeles Lakers
C Dwight Howard - Orlando Magic

All-NBA 2nd Team
PG Deron Williams - Utah Jazz
SG Brandon Roy - Portland Trailblazers
SF Kevin Durant - Oklahoma City Thunder
PF Carlos Boozer - Chicago Bulls
C Andrew Bogut - Milwaukee Bucks

All-NBA 3rd Team
PG Stephen Curry - San Antonio Spurs
SG Joe Johnson - Atlanta Hawks
SF Carmelo Anthony - Denver Nuggets
PF Dirk Nowitzki - Dallas Mavericks
C Yao Ming - Houston Rockets

Watch me not care that Curry made an All-NBA team. Notice there's no Marc Gasol here. No Clippers, either, but there was no one worthy.

All-Defense 1st Team
PG Chris Paul - New Orleans Hornets
SG Kobe Bryant - Los Angeles Lakers
SF Lebron James - Miami Heat
PF Josh Smith - Atlanta Hawks
C Dwight Howard - Orlando Magic

All-Defense 2nd Team
PG Rajon Rondo - Boston Celtics
SG Monta Ellis - Golden State Warriors
SF Gerald Wallace - Charlotte Bobcats
PF Pau Gasol - Los Angeles Lakers
C Andrew Bogut - Milwaukee Bucks

All-Rookie 1st Team
PG Mills Jolly - Memphis Grizzlies
SG Andrew Kirtz - Milwaukee Bucks
SF Eutor Taffarel - Los Angeles Clippers
PF Clay Minahan - Charlotte Bobcats
C Brad Jones - Los Angeles Clippers

Shocking to see Taffarel on the 1st Team. I'd have given Rookie of the Year to either Kirtz or Jolly.

All-Rookie 2nd Team
PG Ricky Rubio - Minnesota Timberwolves
SG Derrick Cockle - Oklahoma City Thunder
SF Da'Sean Butler - Charlotte Bobcats
PF Germayne Postell - Toronto Raptors
C Paulo Prestes - Memphis Grizzlies

Postell got robbed. He should have been 1st Team.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #33
Izulde
Head Coach

Donald Sterling is happy with me. He's even happier when I tell him I'll manage to keep it under the cap for next season. Probably shouldn't have done that while also guaranteeing a playoff spot, but whatever.

Coach Hiring
Mike Fratello - Minnesota Timberwolves

Mock Draft
By my lights, SG Jacque Mason of UCLA, mocked to go 4th to the Indiana Pacers, is probably the best player in this draft. UNLV's PG John Miller looks exactly like the type of pass-first PG I like and the mock has him going #9 to the Kings. Tulane's SF Renaldo Groves is mocked to go 1st overall.

Lot of players in this draft knocked for their poor handling. The mock has us taking 6'8, 220 lb SG Jamaal Preston from Vermont. Don't really see that happening, but who knows?

2012 NBA Draft First Round
1. C Richie Walker - Minnesota Timberwolves

So the T-Wolves opt to go with Walker, a huge 7', 300 lb 19 year old out of Georgia Tech #1 overall. I can see why they went this route, although I think there's better players out there.

Interesting offer for Brad Jones from the New Jersey Nets. They're suggesting Johan Petro and his scrubby $3.5 million expiring self along with the #13 pick. That's actually pretty good value and I'm pissed I can't find a center who does anything in the playoffs, so I take it, school loyalty be damned.

2. PG Anthony Lee - Charlotte Bobcats

Stunned John Miller wasn't the first PG taken. He had a phenomenal workout.

Trade offer for Eutor Taffarel, but it sucks.

3. C Frank Kidd - Memphis Grizzlies

I though this kid was the safer center pick than Walker, so I really like this pick. But why are all the best guys in this class dropping?

4. SG Jacque Mason - Indiana Pacers

I tried like crazy to move up and get this guy, but the Pacers just weren't having it. Great pick for Indiana here.

5. C Ray Dixon - Phoenix Suns
6. SF Renaldo Groves - Toronto Raptors

ARGH! Tried to move up to get Groves, too, who never should have fallen out of the Top 5. An absolute steal by Toronto here.

7. PG Claudio Montella - Detroit Pistons

The Italian product is a fantastic point guard option as well. Really deep draft for players at the one, and Miller is still on the board.

8. PF Chezley Hunter - Cleveland Cavaliers
9. PG John Miller - Sacramento Kings

So the mocks were right. There's one guy left on my board, which is quickly gone to pieces, so I send #13 and #36 to Golden State to move up 3 spots.

10. SF Mark Carter - Los Angeles Clippers

It's a split opinion pick, but the UT-Chattanooga star had excellent all-around game for the Mocs - 25 points, 9.3 rebounds, 8.2 assists, 2.5 blocks, 2.4 steals... I'm actually excited to get him.

11. PF Leandro Ramos - New York Knicks
12. SG Justin Bayyan - Denver Nuggets
13. PG Jay Rucker - Golden State Warriors
14. PG Ben Carrawell - Oklahoma City Thunder
15. PF Stevie Cundiff - Washington Wizards
16. PF Alex McDermott - Minnesota Timberwolves

Good value for Minnesota here. Walker and McDermott will be an intriguing frontline to watch for the Timberwolves.

17. C Steve Lilly - Chicago Bulls
18. SG Charles Delea - Utah Jazz
19. C Jason Robinson - Atlanta Hawks
20. SF Tayshaun Odom - Dallas Mavericks
21. C Marcelle Wingfield - Philadelphia 76ers
22. C Brian Day - Milwaukee Bucks

He's short at 6'9, but holy hell did the Bucks get a steal here. Day at PF, Andrew Bogut at C... that's a nightmareish frontcourt at the Bradley Center. This dude should have been a lottery pick.

23. C Brian Hunter - Boston Celtics
24. PG Josh Lee - Orlando Magic

We really need a center, but all our targets just went off the board in the last few picks. What's left is complete crap. Fortunately, the Bucks are looking to add more picks, so they shop us the draft rights to Brian Day for #25 and #55.

25. PF Rob Black - Milwaukee Bucks

Great pick. He could have gone higher even, so this makes a lot of sense for Milwaukee. And they get pick 55 out of it, too.

26. SG Nick Kickert - San Antonio Spurs
27. PG Michael Edward - Miami Heat

Surprising trade for the Bucks, but I'll cover it later.

28. PG Rory Howell - Atlanta Hawks
29. PG Brandt Capel - New Orleans Hornets
30. PG John Gervin - Los Angeles Lakers

Our first look at our rookies post-camp says Day was indeed a freaking steal if he pans out to his potential. I'm really excited about him, even given he's 6'9, but his 284 lbs *is* impressive. Carter looks better all-around than Taffarel, so we'll see how it works out.

Nicolas Batum is tagged with the qualifying offer to keep him a RFA, everyone else is renounced.

Summer League
PG John Wall
SG Eric Bledsoe
SF Eutor Taffarel
SF Mark Carter
PF Tiago Splitter
C Timofey Mozgov
C Dexter Pittman
C Brian Day

Yeah. Basically our entire projected starting lineup is still young enough to qualify for the summer league. That's just crazy, man. So basically, if we don't go undefeated, there's going to be problems.

101-83 win over Cleveland on July 4th. 25 points, 3 blocks Tiago Splitter. 13 bench points for Dexter Pittman.

110-78 win over Boston. Great showings from the second team. Eric Bledsoe scores 19, Mark Carter 13 with 5 assists. But the performance that draws the biggest buzz is Brian Day, who explodes for 10 points, 13 rebounds, 3 steals and 3 blocks.

That game also ends up starting a cult phenomenon. Some diehard Miami (OH) Redhawks fan, in the midst of a hyper drunken delirium, spends five hours on an Internet message board writing a monolithic monologue thread in which he sings the praises of Brian "The Sun God" Day, talking about how Day should have gone #1 overall and how Day is going to shatter the Jestorball law of no centers allowed shorter than 6'10, bringing the dawning light of a new era for the Clippers, a championship era. As luck would have it, the thing ends up going viral and our rookie immediately takes to the nickname.

John Wall scores 28 in our 114-87 rout of the Magic. Mark Carter adds 15 bench points, Eric Bledsoe 11. The Sun God isn't as impressive this game, but 7 points, 11 rebounds, and I gotta say, the dude can rebound.

We head back home after those two road games and the whole damn arena has people holding up signs with giant suns on them and other related phenomena. 12 points, 8 rebounds, 4 blocks off the bench for Brian "The Sun God" Day, invitee Nick Calathes adding 12 bench points in our defensive 96-73 ripping of the Rockets.

Mark Carter explodes for 21 points in our narrower than expected 90-85 win in Portland. Eric Bledsoe chips in 10 bench points and Brian Day just misses the bench double with 8 points and 9 rebounds.

Free Agency
We have just over $18 million in cap space and 11 players signed, so we're set to make a splash.

Marquee Players
Carmelo Anthony
Derrick Rose (RFA)
Chris Kaman
Jamal Crawford
Eric Gordon (RFA)
Russell Westbrook (RFA)
Kevin Love (RFA)
Jason Kidd (Strictly as a pass-first PG)

So a pretty weak crop overall.

Carmelo Anthony is the first free agent to sign, a 5 year, $91.6 million contract with the Sacramento Kings.

And we make the second big splash in free agency, signing Derrick Rose to a 5 year, $79.7 mil. max contract offer that the Bulls refuse to match! Say hello to the Wall of Roses backcourt!

Kevin Love accepts a 1 year tender from the Minnesota Timberwolves, so he'll be an unrestricted free agent next year. Tyson Chandler got a two year, $4.2 million re-signing from the 76ers. Good for him.

We receive news that Nicolas Batum has a 1 year, $5.9 million offer sheet from the Dallas Mavericks. That'll put us over the cap, which isn't good. On the other hand, I've been trying to trade Timofey Mozgov, which I'll do after free agency if I can.

After hemming and hawing, I match the offer sheet. Batum really is one of my fave players. Roy Hibbert, Eric Gordon, and Courtney Lee sign 4 year, $23.6 million contracts with Golden State, Houston, and Orlando respectively, all with team options.

Andrei Kirilenko gets a 5 year, $37.5 million contract to stay with the Hawks. Smart move by Atlanta, as he was the big reason why the Hawks went from middling playoff team to elite East team.

Miami makes a great signing, getting Chris Kaman for 5 years, $29.5 million. He's going to be huge in the post for the Heat, which lacked that big time presence down low. Maybe now the Big Three will finally win that title they long for.

Gerald Wallace waits a long time, but goes to the Lakers for 5 years, $29.5 million, too. Irritating to see our archrivals get such a great player for a comparatively cheap price.

Jared Dudley got a nice 2 year, $10.2 million contract from Denver. I have no idea who he is, though.

I trade Timofey Mozgov to the Charlotte Bobcats for their 2014 and 2015 2nd round picks. The move puts us $3.4 million under the cap.

Against my better judgment, I sign Eutor Taffarel's third year option.

[u]Training Camp/u]
Very disappointing from Mark Carter, who crashes and burns. Brian "The Sun God" Day still looks the real deal.

Jeff Van Gundy wants to start Derrick Rose at PG and have John Wall come off the bench. I fire his bald ass and hire myself on a one year deal. Time to do this right.*

* - Note: I randomized attributes at the beginning of the game, to make it more challenging. Thus, you won't see the full extent of the Jestorball philosophy at work in this universe.

East
1. Miami Heat
2. Milwaukee Bucks
3. New Jersey Nets

West
1. Sacramento Kings
2. Los Angeles Lakers
3. Oklahoma City Thunder

The Heat are clearly #1 and after them, the East looks really, really bad. Lakers look great, Thunder and Kings very good, though Sacramento have bad point guard play.

We're picked for 12th, probably because the game reset my depth chart

Ben Wallace is an 11th hour signing to beef up our big man depth.

Los Angeles Clippers 2012 Opening Night Lineup
PG John Wall
SG Derrick Rose
SF Nicolas Batum
PF Tiago Splitter
C Brian Day
6th Jose Calderon (PG/SG)
7th Eric Bledsoe (PG/SG)
8th Eutor Taffarel (SG/SF)
9th Mark Carter (SF)
10th Ben Wallace (PF/C)
11th Dexter Pittman (PF/C)
12th Ryan Gomes (SF/PF)
-------------------------
13th Johan Petro

Old 06-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #34
Izulde
Head Coach

It always happens. I have things I need to get done, but the temptation to see how this shiny new team does is too strong.

One hell of a scorefest against the preseason favorite Kings. We win 113-107 on balanced offense (four of five starters scored 15+ points), including Brian "The Sun God" Day's rocking 19 points and 9 rebounds in his first game, Ben Wallace's 12 points and 10 rebounds off the bench, and Eutor Taffarel's 14 bench points.

125-81 Timberwolves trouncing is sparked by Derrick Rose's 30 points, and Ben Wallace, Eutor Taffarel, and Jose Calderon doing it good for the second team with 13, 12, and 10 points each.

The next night's a kinda embarassing 94-84 road loss to the Jazz. Deron Williams triple-doubles 23 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists to make mincemeat of Derrick Rose's 21 points, Ben Wallace's 11 points, and Jose Calderon's 10 points.

Derrick Rose pays the Jazz back with 35 points in our 114-96 skinning. All five of our starters score 11+ points, and besides Rose, Tiago Splitter gets 18 points, 14 rebounds, and John Wall doubles as well, for 14 points and 13 assists.

Sacramento's now 1-3 after we beat them 100-90 at their place. All five starters with 10+ points, led by Derrick Rose's 24 points and Brian Day's 10 points and 10 rebounds. Ben Wallace just misses the bench double with 8 points and 13 rebounds.

Fun game in destroying Houston 125-88. Ben Wallace's old man legs put up 22 points and 8 rebounds for Game MVP, while Nicolas Batum scores 24 and Tiago Splitter hauls down 14 points and 10 rebounds.

We don't do our draft pick any favors in losing 112-102 to Dallas. Too bad, with Derrick Rose's 28 points, John Wall's 15 points and 11 assists, and Eutor Taffarel's 12 bench points. I underestimated Dirk Nowitzki's ability to stay in tip-top form.

John Wall highlights our 102-91 win over Golden State with 33 points, 10 rebounds, and 5 assists. His main co-conspirator was Tiago Splitter with 12 points and 11 rebounds.

Happy days are here with our 104-89 besting of the Lakers. Jose Calderon and Eutor Taffarel typecast our balanced effort with 10 bench points each.

Boo. 118-107 loss to the Spurs. Ruination of all five starters with 11+ points, including John Wall's 12 points and 15 assists (O TO BTW), Tiago Splitter's 17 points and 10 rebounds, and 14 bench points each from Ben Wallace and Eutor Taffarel. That's what happens when the Spurs get 30 and 39 points from Manu Ginobli and Stephen Curry in the backcourt.

Our Big Three leads us to a narrow 106-101 road win over the Thunder. Derrick Rose scores 30, John Wall has 20 points, 15 assists, 4 steals and 0 turnovers, and Tiago Splitter scores 20 of his own.

Youth = 108-92 loss to the 76ers. But only Tiago Splitter's 20 points were noteworthy anyway.

Ah the resilience of youth, 129-113 win against the Cs in Beantown the next night. All five starters with 12+ points this time, including Derrick Rose's 30, John Wall's 23 points and 10 assists, Tiago Splitter's 18 points and 10 rebounds, and Big Ben Wallace's big 17 bench points.

We give the Hornets only their second loss of the year, 116-103 next time out. Derrick Rose pops off 33 points, Tiago Splitter 18 points, 16 rebounds, and 3 blocks. 21 and 14 points from benchmen Ben Wallace and Eutor Taffarel.

Minnesota's been on a nice run, but we buzzkill them 121-100. Derrick Rose with 31 points, Tiago Splitter with 29 points and 13 rebounds. You think D-Rose is going for a scoring title?

So we're 11-4 after the first month of play, #2 in the West and a game in front of the Lakers. [b]Derrick Rose[/b is #7 in scoring at 24 points a game.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #35
Izulde
Head Coach

It's funny. We're doing well, having the most successful stint in Clippers history. I'm back in the coaching game in addition to the GM'ing game. ...And I don't care.

Maybe it's LA. Maybe it's the increased workload. Maybe it's our Scrooge owner. But I just don't care.

So I announce my resignation of head coach, sign Rudy Tomjanovich for 3 years, and just tune out until the All-Star Game.

Wouldn't you know it? Rudy T actually keeps the Wall of Roses backcourt going, although for some reason he likes Mark Carter a starter.

Ben Wallace hates Rudy T. Suck it up, Big Ben.

Heh. Wall of Roses backcourt only last a few games. Jose Calderon the starting SG. Yeah. Okay. Nicolas Batum's starting again and we're 39-14 at the break.

Andrew Kirtz, who the Bucks rather stupidly traded to the Thunder for Derrick Cockle, wins the Rookie/Sophs game MVP. I just now realized I never recapped the draft day trades. Oh well.

Derrick Rose is our only All-Star. The East wins 132-110 as our West players mail it in like I am.

So it's all with a detached air that I watch us roll to a 62-20 regular season, the best record in the entire league. It's Derrick Rose who's been electric, scoring 23.2 points a game, with Tiago Splitter our #2 option. Nicolas Batum locks down the starting SF spot, while Ben Wallace and Brian "The Sun God" Day end up splitting the C starting spot.

And of course, it's precisely when I stop caring that we sweep the Thunder in the opening round before losing in 6 to the hated Lakers. It's a good thing I don't give a rip or I would have been furious and upset over the loss.

The Miami Heat finally make it to the Finals, but Chris Paul's there for the Hornets to win the title in 5 games.

The Pacers jump three places in the lottery to get #3, but the Nuggets jump six to win #2. Charlotte stays #1.

Chris Paul wins his second straight MVP award, Dwight Howard his third straight Defensive Player of the Year nod.

John Wall wins 6th Man and Rudy T wins Coach of the Year. Jason Robinson, taken 19th by Atlanta, wins Rookie of the Year. Jacque Mason and Renaldo Groves got robbed.

No Clippers on the All-NBA teams again, not even D-Rose.

I resign. Donald Sterling is sad to see me go because I brought winning teams while staying under the cap. I'm not sorry to say goodbye to LA.

No general manager jobs open. I could go become the head coach of the Charlotte Bobcats maybe. Me and my 11-4 career record. But we all know that's not going to work.

Every D-League team in the West wants me. But I'm tired of the desert and the West overall. So I apply to Erie, the East-most team. Let's see if a change of scenery and the helter-skelter of team-building in the minors can revive my passion.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #36
Taz13
n00b

I have to ask, did you really get bored with the Clippers or was there some other evil reason for leaving them?
Old 06-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #37
Izulde
Head Coach

I really did get bored. Sorry to all the Clippers fans on the board, but I just don't care for them, and not even reviving them could interest me. So I'll go slum in the D-Leagues because no openings came up in the NBA and I'm not quite ready to expand.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #38
Izulde
Head Coach

My first business in Erie is to fire the coaching staff. Jeff Capel, constantly hired and fired in the collegiate ranks, lands with us as the head coach, but I feel like he needs one last chance. Phil Ford and Ed Pinckney become 2nd and 3rd assistants. We tried to get Grant Hill as the first assistant, but Bakersfield hires him as the head coach. Dan Dickau and Andre Miller get head coach gigs too, with Idaho and Fort Wayne respectively.

So we settle for Kevin McHale as our 1st assistant to give us three NBA players of the past on our staff.

My favorite player heading into the NBA draft is SG Cliff Broadnax out of Notre Dame. He's picked to go 5th to Notre Dame. He ends up going 6th to Detroit.

The new GM trades Eutor Taffarel to the Utah Jazz for SG Richard Gattison, precisely the same deal they offered me last draft that I turned down posthaste.

Memphis trades Mills Jolly to Cleveland to Chezley Hunter, which surprises me somewhat.

I have to feel sorry for PG Cameron Risinger. Consider the following:

Drafted 18th overall in 2011 by Sacramento
Draft rights traded to Philadelphia for Marreese Speights
Traded to the Hornets during 2012 draft for Tim Hampton
Traded to the Bucks during 2013 draft for Henry Watkins

It's got be frustrating, because he has the potential to be a quality player, maybe even a 5th starter, and yet, he keeps getting shuttled from team to team and can never get into a rhythm or a sense of security.

Free Agency Notes
-Steve Nash gets a one year, $5.9 mil. deal from the defending champion Hornets. Wonder how that'll work with Chris Paul.
-I laugh when I read about Ben Gordon's two year min-sal to go back to the Bulls.
-Really Clippers GM? $6.9 million for one year of a creaky ass Antawn Jamison? Nice to see everything I built getting wrecked in a single offseason.
-Nice contract for Timofey Mozgov - 2 years, $9.57 mil. from Phoenix.
-3 years, $22.6 mil. for Louis Williams from the Pacers? Wow.
-Big time money for Kevin Love - 5 years, $54.2 mil.... from the Pistons.
-Sad to see Nicolas Batum go to Atlanta for 2 years, $11.8 million. About the only thing the Clippers new GM didn't screw up was re-signing Tiago Splitter to a 5 year, $51.8 million deal.
-I really like how the Pistons are getting turned around. Love signed and now 2 year, $7.1 million deal to the grossly underrated Jarrett Jack.

We get two kids sent down to start the year. PG Lee Rawlings, the 76ers' pick at #21 is a shutdown defender, disciplined, and smart. Unfortunately, he doesn't have NBA level PG skills and is a bit small for a SG.

G/SF Marcus Cockram was a 2nd round pick (8th in the second round) by the Cavaliers last year. He spent a year overseas playing for a team called the Reptiles and was pretty bad. Nonetheless, Cleveland saw enough in him to bring him back to the US and play for us.

D-League Draft
We draw #15/#2, which isn't my favorite spot to be in. In fact, it's one of my least favorite, but it is what it is. Funny thing is, Demar Derozan and Willie Warren, who are the top young stars of the Orlando Magic, my biggest rivals, in NLL, and the Miami Heat, my team in NLL, respectively, are the top two scorers left on the board when my first pick comes up.

I'm not going to diss the kid who forms half of my NLL Wonderpaul backcourt along with Chris Paul, so Warren it is.

PG Eric Maynor is my 2nd round selection, because we need a pass-first PG. Derozan goes #5 in the round, Marreese Speights #8 in the round.

C Jerry Ward is the third round selection, because I"m not drafting anybody from the Nevada Wolfpack or the Minnesota Golden Gophers. PF Josh Boone becomes an Osprey in the 4th. PG Josh Beaudan in the 5th and the undersized F Jon Brockman in the 6th. Normally I'd never take a tweener, but this is as much of a walk down MP memory lane than anything else, it seems.

We need to keep bringing the size, so the 7th round sees us take C Jeff Bryant. Swingman Nick Young's our pick in the 8th, folloowed by Mike Collier, another swingman, in the 9th. PG Dalonte Davenport is our final selection.

Erie Ospreys 2013 Opening Night Lineup
PG Marcus Cockram
SG Willie Warren
SF Nick Young
PF Josh Boone
C Jerry Ward
6th Eric Maynor (PG)
7th Mike Collier (PG/SG/SF)
8th Lee Rawlings (PG/SG)
9th John Bryant (C)
10th Josh Beaudan (PG/SG)
11th Jon Brockman (PF/C)
12th Delonte Davenport (PG/SG)

Yeah, so we're overloaded on guards. I think I like the look of our team, though.

Late November is our first game of the year and we've already got a defection. In fact, Eric Maynor was an NBA Opening Day signing by the Phoenix Suns.

Shocking trades related to the Clippers. They dealt one of their 2014 first round picks to the Raptors, not sure which one, for Renaldo Groves, the Tulane kid I loved so much. Toronto then dealt one of the 2014 1st round picks it held to the Jazz for Eutor Taffarel. Insane.

Clippers are 9-5 on the eve of our first game, by the way.

We sign PG Adrian Crawford, an UDRFA from Villanova, to fill the 12th spot.

Willie "Wonder" Warren scores 24 points in our 104-95 road win over Fort Wayne. Marcus Cockrom surprises me with 12 points and 13 assists, Jerry Ward doubles for 14 points and 12 rebounds, and John Bryant scores 10 bench points.

Austin goes down 97-76 on Josh Boone's 24 points and 12 rebounds and our totally stifling defense.

Great all-around game from Marcus Crockrom with 14 points, 9 assists, and 7 rebounds in our 107-101 win over Rio Grande. John Bryant and Mike Collier step up from the bench with 13 and 12 points.

Lee Rawlings is recalled by Philadelphia after Jrue Holiday breaks his ankle. I sign PF Nick Collison and the 32 year old instantly becomes our new starter at he 4.

Next game, 103-93 win in Sioux Falls. Nick Young scores 21 and Mike Collison and Jason Beaudan provide the balance with 14 and 12 bench points.

We've yet to play a game at home and so it's not surprising we lose our first game of the year the night after, 119-100 to 4-0, now 5-0 Dakota. Still, it's encouraging to see all of our starters with 11+ points and quality play all around. We just ran out of gas on defense.

Finally our first home game, and it's a 97-80 win over Iowa. All five starters in 10+ point scoring, though the most meaningful individual statistic is Nick Young's 13 bench points.

Sweet 105-83 asskicking of Fort Wayne. All five starters with 12+ points, although our lead scorer was reserve Josh Bryant with 18 points. No surprise to see Mike Collier with 14 bench points - he's been a vital cog in our rotation.

Seeing Willie Warren pop off 22 points makes me happy, but what makes me even happier is sweeping the doubleheader, 95-78 in a two game baseball-esque, back-to-back with Fort Wayne. Jerry Ward puts up 14 points and 12 rebounds, John Bryant leads the second team attack with 10 points and 8 rebounds, and Jason Beaudan matches those 10 points.

Willie Warren does it again with 24 points and Nick Young is stellar off the bench with 21 points as we get a lovely bit of revenge against Dakota, 102-90. The Great Apes have now lost four straight after starting 5-0.

Exhausted we are, and lose 100-96 in Fort Wayne the next evening. I'm so aggravated about giving the Defenders their second win of the year I don't even look at the game report.

Nice break follows, as we have off until December 27th, whereupon we treat the home crowd to a 95-75 de-toothing of the Reno Lions. Ah, Reno. How I despise you. Nick Collison throws down 16 points and 16 rebounds and Nick Young and Mike Collier do up the bench with 16 and 15 points. Now that's what I like to see!

Grant Hill is feeling pretty salty about not signing with us after we overwhelm his Otters 117-84 the next evening. Marcus Crockrom is everywhere with 20 points, 11 assists, and 6 rebounds, and John Bryant, Mike Collier, and Nick Young do their usual standout work from the bench with 17, 10, 10 points.

New Year's Eve is a cause for celebration when we send the Great Apes to 7-7 on an ironic 94-77 win. The usual defense and balance, led by John Bryant's 12 points and 10 rebounds and Nick Young's 11 bench points.

Unfortunately, Nick Young is questionable for two weeks with an ankle injury. On the bright side, we're 11-2 and leading the Central by 4 games. We're a half game behind 12-2 Tulsa for the top seed in the D-League.

Oh, and as a clear-cut illustration of our scoring balance - We have 7 players averaging 10+ points, and an 8th not far off with 9.3.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:41 AM   #39
Izulde
Head Coach

I've got a very bad feeling about the road back to back and we lose 108-89 to the Commodores in the first game, 110-87 the second game. These two game series drive me crazy, especially getting whipped that badly.

Willie Warren scores 23 points with 3 steals and we finally snap the streak, winning 91-80 at home over Fort Wayne. John Bryant is terrific off the bench with 16 points and 14 rebounds.

91-84 win over Iowa the next night, Willie Warren again stepping up in scoring 25 points. Nick Collison scores 20 and we get 10 bench points each from Mike Collier and John Bryant.

A few days later, Iowa's back in day and we win a 122-110 track meet. Marcus Cockrom moves to SG and scores 22 points as part of all five of our starters with 11+ points, and Jason Beaudan and Josh Bryant add in 11 and 10 bench points.

Nick Collison gets signed by the Bulls and Lee Rawlings is recalled to the NBA, so we're shorthanded. Cue the signing of 34 year old Fred Jones, who takes over as the 6th man.

All five starters did 10 or better, including Josh Boone with a team high 16 points and 11 rebounds and Jerry Ward with 10 points and 11 rebounds in our 95-85 win over the Great Apes. Fred Jones debuts with 10 bench points and Mike Collier scores 11.

Couple nights later, back to Dakota and another win, this time to the tune of 114-80. Josh Boone doubles for 14 points, 12 rebounds, Nick Young scores 16 off the bench, followed by Mike Collier and John Bryant with 11 points, and Jon Brockman with 10.

We finally beat the Commodores, 100-92, thanks to Willie Warren's scorching 27 points, Charles Delea's 11 points and 13 assists in his second start at point guard, and 12, 11, and 10 bench points from John Bryant, Fred Jones, and Jon Brockman. Unfortunately, the win costs us Warren, who sprains his wrist for a week and a half.

Losing our leading scorer scares me, but we toughen up on defense for a 91-58 rout of the Alley Cats. Marcus Crockrom just misses the triple-double with 15 points, 10 rebounds, and 9 assists, and Mike Collier scores 14 bench points. But now Nick Young is hurt again, hobbled a week with a calf injury. Oh and Adrian Crawford has a concussion and is questionable for a day.

...Which turns out to be relevant because we've a doubleheader with the Alley Cats. And we lose 93-86. Fuck you, injuries. Fuck you up the ass with an unmentionable object from Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series.

108-101 OT loss to the Timberjacks. Forget the highlights - I'm too mad.

We gut check our way to a 93-81 win over the Buckaroos the night after, mainly crediting Marcus Crockrom's 18 points and 3 steals and Mike Collier and John Bryant's matching 10 bench points.

91-69 loss to Anaheim. So, so damn ugly.

Hooray! Win #20 of the season in yet another second half doubleheader, 103-89 over Bakersfield. Jerry Ward has his best game ever for us with 21 points and 15 rebounds, and Jon Brockman hammers home 12 bench points.

At 20-7, we're a half game behind those asshats from Reno from the top seed in the league and a half-game ahead of Tulsa for the #2 seed. The Commodores, who were a real pain this month, are 3.5 games behind us in the Central division race.

Oh and Mike Collier strained his knee and is iffy for a week and a half. The life of the D-League, constantly fluctuating rosters from assignments, recalls, signings, and injuries, the latter from guys who don't yet have the conditioning to fight through an 82 game season against the world's best basketball stars.