Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-09-2011, 03:52 AM   #1
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

FM 11 -- From Humble Origins ...

Herein shall be enshrined, in all it's glory(or, far more likely, lack thereof), my coaching career.

We begin in June of 2010, at which time(using my actual personal bio information), I am just shy of my 33rd birthday. My ultimate(and quite possibly unacheivable, at least by me) goal is to win the World Cup with the U.S. squad(18th in the world rankings at game start). To begin with, I'll need to start at the bottom though and attempt to work my way up to, among other things, earn a shot at coaching a MLS side.

Thus decided, I searched the playable clubs for a truly miserable side to start with. If I get fired, I'll simply find another. And so it is that, spurning the normal 'popular' hotbeds, I find my way to Portugal. A fine football nation, ranked 8th at this time so there's talent to be found.

Portugal's domestic structure is as follows, with all leagues containing 16 teams:

Liga ZON Sagres(top six qualify for various cups, bottom two are relegated)
Liga Orangina(top two promoted to ZON Sagres, bottom two relegated to Second Division)
Second Division

This is where our story begins. There are three branches: North, Central, and South. Bottom four are relegated, so there's a lot of movement: top squad in each enters a promotion playoff, so 'merely' winning the league is no guarantee of moving up. This is the 'hinge' of Portuguese club football: the top semi-pro clubs are here, trying to make their way to the big leagues of the Liga Orangina and full professional status which almost certainly accompanies such a position.

Newly promoted after the 2010 season, entering the third tier for the first time, is Andorinha. Being idiots, they were dumb enough to hire me. Founded in 1925, they've spent close to a century now achieving not much. I'm supposed to change that. A semi-pro club of course, with a reputation of 'obscure' and a value of $40k -- the price of a higher-end sedan, for pete's sake -- they play their matches in a stadium that can allow for 625(400 seated). There are multiple players in the division that make more, by themselves, than the $1100/wk. budgeted here(including youth grants). Not that there's a fan base capable of supporting anywhere near that much, of course.

This then, is the starting point of the challenge. Hopefully the fans(both of them) will be patient with me.

Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:18 AM   #2
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Welcome to drek, population me. Painful as it is, let's take a look at the starting squad. And this actually surprised me -- there's talent here. No really, there is. Much of it is new, added by the previous coach before he departed. But just based on the roster, the battle against relegation and the auto-firing which would result will be easier than an outside would expect.

My philosophy is to fit our tactics to the skills of the players, rather than attempt to make them fit my pre-defined notion of how we should play. Let them do what they do best, and make magic happen on the pitch. In keeping with that, after considering a more defensive 5-man front, we'll play an attacking 4-4-2.

My training priorities will be to focus on stamina and tactical intelligence -- whatever else happens, Andorinha fans can bank on the fact that I'll work to give them a squad that plays hard and smart for 90 minutes.

KEEPERS

Adriano(27, 6-0, 191) is capable and should be here for quite a while. But there is no backup worth spitting at. Lila(30, 6-0, 187) is the best of the lot and grossly overpaid. He'll be getting either a pay cut or an outright release when his contract is up.

DEFENSE

The left fullback Flavio(28, 6-3, 194) is the weak link among the prospective starters to be sure, basically useless at this level and like Lila, among our highest-paid wastes of space. However, Ze Pedro(24, 6-0, 187) is the best player on the squad -- he makes questionable decisions but has every important defensive ability. Not great at any one thing, just above-average across the board and that's enough to make him a star here. He'll play the stopper role, challenging attackers before they can become a threat. Pedro Estrela(22, 6-4, 196) is the smartest of the defenders, capable and young, and Carlos Reis(19, 5-10, 169) on the right side uses instincts and athleticism to make up what he lacks in technique and experience. Estrela will drop behind as a cover defender, forming the last line of defense in front of Adriano.

A solid unit aside from Flavio, the rest can all play. Carlos Barbosa and Ruben Rodrigues are able to at least not completely embarass themselves as backups.

MIDFIELD

This is the strength of the team. Almost every player here is wanted to some degree by other clubs. Diminutive Decio(25, 5-4, 132) has solid athleticism and crossing abilities on the left, making him a natural attacking winger. In the middle, Dinarte(21, 5-10, 169) is a very good playmaker, while Goncalinho(26, 6-0, 174) is a more defensive-minded player but the best overall on the team save for Ze Pedro -- he'll fill a support role as the swing man, turning defense into offense. Passing is his only important weakness. Nelio(31, 5-8, 154) is another attacking winger on the right side. His crosses leave something to be desired but he's a very aggressive player with great fitness.

There's good depth here too, espescially on the right. Sandro Camara, Ernesto Sanchez, Paulinho -- they can all play and contribute.

STRIKERS

We have exactly one solid player here. Joao Santos(20, 5-9, 163) is very unimpressive when he doesn't have the ball, but when he gets it in scoring position he generally knows what to do with it. His counterpart will be Pires(28, 5-10, 169), one of our two foreign players(originally from Cape Verde) who is less talented overall but is also a pretty good finisher.

There are only two holes that stand out: Flavio on the defensive left, and Pires up front. The rest of the squad, surprisingly, looks ready to compete at this level.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

PRE-SEASON 2011

Being as we are well over the wage budget, the board wants me to sell off whoever I can. However, even if I get rid of everyone anybody wants, I won't be able to turn a profit, and that would also mean getting rid of basically the entirety of the midfield, which means a one-way ticket to relegation.

While I strongly prefer to live within the restraints given, in this case the only chance the club has of a successful and profitable future is to just go for broke and ensure as much success as possible, avoid relegation, and build the fan base. We have to grow our way out of this financial crisis. With that in mind, I set about trying to fill the two major holes in our starting eleven, with the idea of standing pat after that and just seeing what we could do.

I found a striker right away, and a good one. Gomes(34, 5-10, 167) is getting up there and I had to give him a longer deal than I would have like(3 years). But at only $40 a week -- the max the board will allow with us this far over budget -- it isn't that big a risk. He gives us a third legitimate star talent along with Ze Pedro and Goncalinho, and between him and Santos we should be able to put a lot more offensive pressure on. Gomes is a very determined player who can finish well enough to be a major threat.

Finding a left fullback proved more difficult, and after many players turned us down, I finally got one near the end of the friendly schedule. Filipe Martins(32, 5-11, 167) will still be the weak link in our starters but he won't be a disaster. An aggressive, fit player who tackles well, plays hard, and has good teamwork, he also is pretty weak physically and doesn't mark opponents well at all so there's some definite flaws. Still, a significant upgrade over Flavio and for less money. Not to mention he was the very last one I had a chance at who was worth signing, so I was pleased he agreed to the contract.

We sailed through our schedule of friendlies, beating Ribeira Brava 4-2 and 2-1(the second gets an asterisk as it came with the aid of an own goal), and getting shutouts in the rest: 7-0 and 3-0 over SC Santacruzense, 4-0 over the U. Madeira B team, and 4-0 over Canicense. I would have liked to play tougher competition, but when you get 34-49 people attending your matches, you take whatever matchups you can get without losing money on them.

Over $10k in debt when I came here, we lost another $65K by the end of August, before the season had even rightly begun. Which means we owe more than twice as much($75k to $35k) as the club is even worth. That will get worse before it gets better. Suffice to say that if we don't have a successful season on the pitch, I'll get run out of town and quickly.

PROMOTION ODDS

They aren't encouraging, to put it mildly. The clear favorites are Chaves at 4-6, with U. Madeira(6-4) and Vizela(7-4) considered the strongest contenders. Long shot chances have been given to Fafe(14-1), Tirsense(25-1), and Camacha(33-1).

As for my squad at Andorinha? Picked dead last by the media, and odds to promote are 2000 - 1. They might as well have said infinity. They expect a long, tough, and disappointing season followed by relegation(and, perhaps, a tarring and feathering to follow). I really think I'll disappoint them though, I just don't buy the idea that my squad is that bad.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-09-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
Portiere
Mascot

Too bad you can't take a punt on your team! a bet of 1000K or so would really help your cash-flow.
Portiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Lol!! Indeed it would!
Old 07-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Taca de Portugal First Round
Andorinha vs. Rebordosa
Odds: 7-1, NA, 1-3
Dry, 75

Well, it's impossible not to meet expectations. The board just wants me to 'learn from the experience'.
>>
24’ – A couple of good tackles, first by Reis and then by Estrela, nullified a great-looking chance for Rebordosa. An even match so far, we’re playing well enough to have a chance at it, but all of our shots are off-target so far.
>>
37’ – Estrela with a chance for a header, but it’s too far off the far post for a tough angle, and goes off the post.
>>
38’ – Another corner follows immediately, and it goes to Estrela again at the far post, surrounded by three Reberdosa defenders. One of them is called for a penalty foul, despite their stringent objections. Dinarte takes it, and beats the keeper to the upper right corner! Definitely a bit of luck there, but I’ll take it. Our first goal in real competition, 1-0!
>>
’42 – A point-blank header by Rebordosa off a corner goes over the bar … that looked like trouble.
>>
’48 – A decent opportunity for Rebordosa from right of the goal, but it was right at Adriano and he blocked it away.
>>
’64 – Off a low cross from Decio, Gomes scored on a sliding strike right on the doorstep, in between two Rebordosa defenders. He’d had a fairly poor first half, but makes the play of the match here to put us firmly in control. 2-0.
>>
Andorinha 2 : 0 Rebordosa
>>
A defensive match, with only one clear-cut chance either way. We just took advantadge of our opportunities better, simple as that. And after my debut, I’ve already managed to exceed one of the board’s expectations.
>>
Best 3: Estrela(8.3) – Man of the Match, Decio(7.7), Gomes(7.4)
Worst 3: Camara(6.6), Adriano/Rodrigues/Reis/Santos(6.7)
>>
Attendance: 249. Well under half capacity. Looks like we won't be expanding anytime soon.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Riberao vs. Andorinha(9.12.10)
Wet, 71
Odds: 1-6, 5-1, 10-1
>>
Some think Riberao actually has a chance at promotion, though their 3-1 loss to Vizela(third favorite) in the first round of the Taca de Portugal doesn’t bode well for us. In my first-ever away match and Second Division – North debut, missing the rock of our defense in Ze Pedro, who picked up a cold a few days ago, will not help. We were up against it anyway. Carlos Barbosa will fill in and the back line will play more cautiously, as he’s not cut out for the stopper role that Ze Pedro fills.
>>
I’ll never tell the squad this, but a draw would be a fantastic start here.
>>
Instead of the standard 4-4-2 which we’ve seen every time out so far and play ourselves, Riberao goes with a 4-3-3 today(interestingly, Magalhaes was expecting a 4-4-1-1 from them). He also recommended we switch to a 4-5-1, which was hilarious to me since we don’t have any depth at central midfielder as it is.
>>
We were so intimidated by the surroundings(much bigger crowd here than at home) and the opponent that it took nearly a full minute to get off our first shot -- Santos was wide left and high from just outside the area). In the fifth minute, there was a routine ball hit down the right side, which Riberao defender Faria just beat Santos to and quickly struck a backpass to their keeper. Except for one thing – it didn’t exactly go to the keeper, sitting instead a little in front, just outside the six-yard box. Gomes got to it first, and poked it past for an easy goal. Don’t stare a gift horse in the mouth! Right away we go in front 0-1!!
>>
In the 16th minute they had their first real chance to get it back – a header in front off a corner went over the bar though. Very similar feel to our last match, though their defense isn’t as fast as Rebordosa. No question in my mind any more that we can compete with them. They control possession for a while, but we strike again in the 21st minute. Decio gets by their defense down the left side, crosses, and lace w:st="on">Santoslace> is there point blank range with nobody near him. He hits a weak shot, but it’s angled just inside the right post. 0-2! Their defense just fell asleep and he snuck in behind them. Looks like Magalhaes was right about that being their weakness. Just two minutes later, Nelio crossed from halfway to midfield into the box, and, uncovered, Decio – the shortest man on the squad and one of the smallest in the Second Division – easily headed it home. 0-3 and a rout appeared to be on.
>>
They are still controlling possession, but as long as leave guys uncovered in the box, they can have the ball as much as they want and it won’t matter a lick. 28th minute – one of their strikers beat Estrela and Barbosa, then went up high over Adriano before he could react. 1-3 and they are on the board. The same man(Sebastian Molina) struck two minutes later from long range … at least 25 yards … hitting the upper right corner of the net. 2-3, and now I’m starting to get concerned again. With both squads offensive in mentality(them more so than us) and our top defender out, there could well be a lot more scores before this one is over.
>>
They had another good chance when Molina got around Barbosa in the 41st minute, but sent it over the bar from the edge of the area. They found him on a breakaway in the 45th minute, but Estrela recovered enough to make him uncomfortable, and again he was too high with the shot.
>>
Still 2-3 at halftime, and other than Molina I really have no major concerns. They have three yellow cards and are more fatigued than we are, which could come into play later. Estrela and Barbosa, the center of our defense, have disappointed somewhat and I tell them so.
>>
It takes all of 19 seconds for Molina to shake free, move around Barbosa like he wasn’t even there, and poke the ball past Adriano for a 3-3 tie. Disgusting. We just have no answer for that guy. A couple minutes later, he splits our defense by himself … but misses high. Since early in the match our attack has produced nothing, and our defense turned into swiss cheese.
>>
In the 58th minute we had our best chance in a while, with Santos splitting their defense only to hit a weak strike that was well wide left. Sigh. A couple minutes later Dinarte missed from close in on a sharp-angle shot, but at least we were getting some shots again. The more we attack, the less Molina does.
>>
Soon Riberao made a couple substitutions – fatigue was starting to have it’s effect. We began to control the action more and more. Nelio had a header from in front in the 71st minute, but couldn’t beat their keeper.
>>
They had a near-miss a few minutes on a shot from just outside the area, and some dangerous-looking crosses, but we cleared it each time. Scary moment in the 83rd minute. They got a good look from just outside the area, which Adriano saved. They got the rebound, which was blocked, then another look, which was deflected wide for a corner … header short of the near post, but it was just headed back as a return pass, and out of play.
>>
86th minute: Camara find Gomes with a nice crisp pass. He splits the defense, and tries the lob their keeper – not a bad attempt, but it sails wide right.
>>
89th minute – we get a corner, and every chance is critical at this stage of course. Estrela was uncovered at the near post, but Nelio overshot him and they head it out.
>>
92nd minute – a couple of key opportunities here. While we focus on Molina(rightfully), one of their other attackers moves in for a shot, but Barbosa makes his first big play of the match, cleanly tackling him and sending it deep the other way. Their defender goes for a header, but misses it and it sails over him. Gomes runs on it, maneuvers into the box on the left side, and fires … but he took a little too much time to get set, and it’s blocked away. Decio picks up a frustration yellow immediately afterwards.
>>
That’s it …
>>
Riberao 3 : 3 Andorinha
>>
A draw that is frustrating, encouraging, and disappointing all at the same time. Losing a big lead is rough, but a road draw can’t be argued with.
>>
Incidentally, Sebastian Molina is worth fearing. He’s on loan from Riberao’s parent club in Liga Zon Sagres, and is currently valued at $1.3 million(that’s more than 37 times Andorinha’s composite club value, for those of you scoring at home). I still don’t like how easily he ripped us apart until the final 30 minutes or so, but I feel better about it knowing how good he is. Shocking absolutely no-one, he was named man of the match.
>>
Top 3: Decio(8.2), Gomes/Santos(7.2)
Bottom 3: Adriano(6.0), Barbosa(6.2), Dinarte(6.7)
>>
Estrela picked it up well in the second half, but Barbosa did nothing until that critical tackle just minutes before the final whistle.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-09-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Meh, sorry about the arrows ... I'll find a different way to format and get that fixed before too many more updates.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha vs. Pontassolense(9.15.10)
Dry, 73
Odds: 7-1, 3-1, 1-3

Underdogs, but not by much, against another relegation favorite. About as easy a home opener as we could ask for, and we have Ze Pedro back for a full squad(though we’ll almost certainly need to pull him early as he’s not totally back to full strength from the illness). Meanwhile they have two players out and a third doubtful.

It took almost 12 minutes for the first shot of the game(easily saved by Adriano). A foul by Ze Pedro just outside the area gave them a solid opportunity a couple minutes later, but Adriano had no trouble with a relatively weak strike. Another similar free kick in the 21st minute was blocked – but we had yet to even attempt a shot of any kind ourselves. A few minutes later, we finally got a chance, with Nelio attempting a free kick from just right of the area. Estrela got a header from the far post, missing just wide. In the 31st minute, Ze Pedro went down hard – while committing a foul – and had to come out. We didn’t get much from him today and with him missing our first match … I certainly hope he’s not out long.

Another near opportunity in the 42nd minute – a number of headers as the ball bounced around in their area, but we couldn’t get a clean look. Just a sloppy first half – nobody can rightly be said to have played well, and the midfielders passing is worse than usual. Which says a lot, as passing is our greatest team weakness.

Continued frustration and boredom until the 56th minute, when Santos beat one defender, split another pair, and then hit a well-struck ball past their keeper. A really excellent score there, his best goal that I’ve seen and we go in front 1-0! A good header opportunity by Sanchez in the 62nd minute hit the bar and went over – we seem to be
getting stronger as time goes on despite the short rest. Another header by Barbosa a couple minutes later wasn’t quite good enough, and they made the save.

In the 67th minute, we struck again. A sharp-angle, far side header by Barbosa off a corner was deflected out, and after a scrum Flavio got the goal. Sort of. What actually happened was one of their players tried to clear it out and deflected it off his leg into the goal. But we’ll take it, and
so will Flavio I’m certain. 2-0.

The 69th and 70th minutes had a nerve-wracking sequence: after not surrendering a corner to that point, we gave up one. Headed out by, of all people, Decio, for another corner. That came to a good chance in front, but Flavio got to it first and headed it out for … a third corner in a row. Another one in front, headed high, but Adriano
did very well to get his hands on it. Straight up in the air it went, bouncing between Adriano and the goal line, until … someone bumped it, either Reis or Martins, I couldn’t really see which. In it goes, an inopportune own goal that puts them within one and hands back momentum. 2-1. They gave Reis ‘credit’ for it.

By this point everyone except the keepers is tired, both squads have used their max subs, and we just need to hold this lead for the next 20 minutes. The match proceeded from suck to blow – the normal sloppy play from both squads became extra-sloppy. Pontassolense got more physical and aggressive, which resulted in them injuring two of their
own players over the next few minutes and not a whole lot else. They had to go a man short in the 80th minute, and switched to a 5-2-2 … which being a goal down didn’t make much sense to me, but I wasn’t about to argue.

As the match wound down to an end, a corner in the 90th minute resulted in a scrum in the box by the near post, and eventually a penalty foul giving us a chance to remove all doubt as to the outcome. A highly fatigued Dinarte found the upper left corner, and 3-1 it was.

As the only one with a credible goal, Joao Santos was the clear choice for man of the match.

Andorinha 3 : 1 Pontassolense

Best 3: Santos(8.3), Flavio(7.6), Martins(7.3)
Worst 3: Nelio(6.1), Ze Pedro(6.4), Adriano/Reis(6.6)

Attendance: 169

Ze Pedro’s eval showed a thigh strain, which will sideline him for about 4 weeks. A costly injury indeed. That will mean him missing at least two league matches, probably three, as well as the next Taca de Portugal match.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Taca de Portugal Second Round
Andorinha vs. Pampilhosa(9.19.10)
Breezy, 64
Odds: 20-1, NA, 1-14

We are expected to lose here by 3 or 4 goals.

Their speed was evident immediately, but it didn’t get them a whole lot initially. Meanwhile, we got some luck in the sixth minute. A cross by Santos from within the right boundary of the area deflected off a defender, ending up in some open space in front of the right post where Gomes found it first. His shot deflected off another defender, then between the right post and the keeper. It’ll be scored as an own goal, but it’s still 1-0! A nice save by Adriano in the 12th minute nullified their first chance, as we were doing a fairly good job of controlling possession and keeping the ball out of our end.

Our best chance so far came in the 16th minute, as Dinarte found Gomes with a good lead pass … his shot from left of the post was deflected, hit the post and out for a corner. An excellent diving save by Adriano was required three minutes later to turn a shot from outside the area just wide … this is definitely a dangerous team offensively, but so far we’ve held.

Another few minutes pass, and Goncalinho goes down hard after being tackled at midfield. He was able to stay on, but a minute later Pampilhosa’s speed showed itself. A nice cross into the left front of the box, and their striker was a step ahead of our defenders though. Easy goal – Adriano had no chance, and it’s even at 1-1. Another save for Adriano in the 29th minute – he’s a busy man today and I’m not sure we will be able to change that.

Another close call in the 36th minute – a shot from straight on by one of their midfielders went for the upper left corner … and hit the crossbar. Just a hair lower and that would have been a goal. A good shot at a header for them in the 48th minute, but Adriano ended the half with a fairly easy save off a weak attempt. We’re still tied, but playing a completely defensive game and it’s honestly hard for me to see how we can win this one. It’s been quite some time since we even got close to attempting a shot.

Santos gets a yellow for diving trying to draw a penalty immediately after halftime – not what we needed. We were doing a much better job of contesting for possession. And then it happened, in the 56th minute. Nelio found Santos for a shot from the edge of the area, around the right post. He fired it right at the keeper, who blocked it, but Gomes was first to the rebound and easily struck it past for a 2-1 lead!

Fabulous chance in the 64th minute. Freekick for Decio from near midfield, he sends it to the right corner of the box and Nelio was there, wide open. He hits a volley … which sails over the bar. Guh. With their attacking ability, that would have been a huge goal to put us up two, but he just missed it. A couple of very dangerous crosses in the 69th minute, but Estrela got to the first one and Adriano covered up the second after it bounced around a bit. From that point on they really started pressing the attack more, and once again we were on the defensive constantly. We did well with it though, especially Nelio and Estrela who seemed to be everywhere. They only dominated the ball for about ten minutes this time. In the 86th minute, Gomes had a breakaway to try to add to our lead, but he took too much time and was tackled from behind. Seconds later, another save by Adriano, though this was an easy one hit softly and almost right to him. And yet another in the 88th minute as they were throwing everything at us but the kitchen sink.

They put 8 shots on target to 2 for us, and won every significant category except for tackling, but we still win a hard-fought victory. Andorinha 2 : 1 Pampilhosa. Objectively they are a better team than we are – a big upset, but we remain unbeaten and move on to the third round!

Best 3: Adriano/Gomes(8.0), Estrela(7.2)
Worst 3: 9 players with 6.8

Barbosa had a poor first half, but really picked it up in the second and everyone else was solid or better from start to finish. Great team effort, I was really proud of them today. Gomes was named man of the match, though his game-winning goal would not have been such without Adriano’s great play in the first half. Pampilhosa’s head coach Rui Silva praised our passing game – by far our team’s greatest weakness – after the match, calling it ‘truly something to behold’. My laughter was stifled only with great effort.

Attendance: 261
Old 07-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha vs. Vizela, 9.26.10
Dry, 80

Vizela plays an interesting, up-tempo game with a 4-1-2-1-2 formation – no wide attacking players. Both of their games have been 1-0 victories so far: they have a rock-solid defense. They are only team that has no been scored on in league play: we are tied with Riberao for the lead in goals with 6, so while it’s early in the year this looks like a very interesting contrast in styles in many ways.

For the first six minutes it was a non-stop Vizela attack, but no shots on goal. I thought we had one soon after, but Gomes was ruled offside and his volley clanged off the crossbar in any case. We did a better job of contesting possession after that, and neither squad got any great chances for a while. I learned something too. Felipe Martins’ crosses should come with a U rating for UGLY.

In the 25th minute, Ghilas for the visitors had his second shot in as many minutes … it probably would have scored too if Barbosa hadn’t deflected it out for a corner at the last instant. Vizela is starting to get better shots when they are on the attack. Dangerous header in the 34th minute, tried to go over Adriano but he jumped and pulled it in. Their defensive reputation is well deserved – every time we get the ball into the area, one of them is there to clear it out. And their right fullback is much faster than anyone on our squad, so beating them on a counter is unlikely. Dangerous chance mid-area in front of the right post in the 44th minute, Adriano dives and gets his fingers on it to push it out.

Overall, we led possession in the first half, but they did more with the ball when they had it, outshooting us 7-3, 3-2 in on-target efforts. Solid half for everyone except Barbosa(again) and Gomes. It’s really just up to us finding a way to create better chances against a very stingy defense. After a few minutes we had one … a cross by Nelio just overshot Gomes, who was open big-time right in front, no more than 10 yards from the mouth. That was money if it was a little shorter.

In the 55th minute, with Vizela not having attempted a second-half shot yet, Estrela was called for a foul just outside the area. That’s a dive if ever I saw one … but thankfully they shot it directly into their own man, clearing it out for us. Thank you very much! A few minutes later, we get a great chance with three men going up for a header at the front edge of the box, two of them being Nelio and Gomes. It hits the crossbar and there’s a scramble … and Nelio is called offside! Tons of offsides in this game as the attackers try to gain any possible advantadge, but I stringently disagree here. Which does me no good, it’s still scoreless. 68th minute – another cross rattles around for a bit and someone sends it goalward, where their keeper has to dive to save it. Our pressure is definitely increasing.

Ruben Rodrigues, just subbed in for Reis a couple minutes previous, goes down and has to come out in the 70th minute. On the ensuing free-kick, a well-placed header from about 12 yards, straight on, easily finds the left side of the goal and Vizela breaks the tie. 0-1. In the 84th minute, as we are pressing desperately for a score but getting absolutely nothing going, they get a great chance from just outside the box, but miss wide. We get three more corners, there’s a ball headed into the box that their keeper gets to just before Flavio, Gomes has a 92nd minute run-out that is once again interdicted by their defense, but nary an actual decent shot on goal, and we lose for the first time in my career.

Andorinha 0 : 1 Vizela

11-5 in shots, 5-3 on target, and they won tackles and headers decisively. Slight edge in possession for us, but they were the better team at creating opportunities. We didn’t play badly: they are just better, winning their third straight 1-0 league victory.

Best 3: Estrela(7.0), 7 players with 6.9
Worst 3: Barbosa(6.2), Flavio(6.5), Santos/Gomes(6.8)

Attendance: 163

Another defender goes down with a thigh strain for four weeks: that’s the diagnosis on Rodrigues and it leaves us with only one remotely competent reserve in the back: Flavio.

Taca de Portugal Third Round Draw

Incredibly, we get yet another home match. Second Division – South side Pinhalnovense will be our opponent, so we also avoid all the top teams who join the tournament this round. There’s more of a time gap this time around, we won’t be playing them until mid-October.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-13-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

SEPTEMBER 2010 SUMMARY

Well, our first three games in the Second Divison – North result in a win, a draw, and a loss. That’s good for 9th place, three points clear of the relegation zone. A good start to be sure, but we need to remember that’s all it is and 90% of the season lies ahead of us.

The fans are thrilled with the play of Gomes so far, and less impressed but still happy with what Filipe Martins has done. Their approval of the acquisitions will lessen the impact of the financial pain. They also like what they’ve seen from Decio, Pedro Estrela(my surprise player so far, he’s just tearing it up) and Joao Santos. Santos’s goal against Pontassolense was named the 2nd best for the month.

Overall, the board is pleased, naming the signing of Gomes and the fan reaction to it the primary reason. They are also rightfully delighted in our continuing form in the Taca de Portugal. We lost $16k last month, down from $25.5k the previous month, but the hemorrhaging continues. Average attendance to start the year was 210(33.6% capacity). Without the Taca de Portugal that would be lower: we are getting about 260 from those, and 160 from the league matches.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Macedo Cavaleiros(0-1-2) vs. Andorinha(1-1-1), 10.3.10
Dry, 59

Maghalaes wants me to drop Nelio from the lineup due to his poor play. Umm, what? He has a 6.9 and 6.8 in his last two outings. He has ONE appearance in his 11 since I came here with less than a 6.8(a 6.1 in our one win). Shut up, sir.

We have two common opponents so far: they lost 3-1 to Riberao who we drew with, and tied Pontassolense who we beat. So I'm confident we have a chance on the road. Our theme is screw the odds, as we are still earning the respect I believe we will deserve in time. Macedo Cavaleiros is a more defensively oriented squad than we are.

In the fourth minute, they struck immediately on their first attack run. Rambe got open in the box and they found him, too deep for Adriano to do anything. Santos complained that he was off-side(from his great vantage point at midfield), but the replay showed that to be incorrect -- we just lost him. 1-0. Not the kind of defense I expect from our guys. Just a few minutes later Adriano hurt himself somehow on a routine kick ... thankfully he didn't have to leave the game, but we can't afford to have anything happen to our one competent keeper.

Adriano had to work for a save on a header from straight on in the 23rd minute -- meanwhile, we have yet to put a shot of any kind on goal. Finally we got a chance in the 31st minute. Gomes got a pass inside the area, wheeled and his strike was blocked away by the keeper. Decio came in for the rebound, trying a sharp-angle follow-up, but he hit the side of the net. A few minutes later we gave up a cross to them, far too open in front. Over the goal went the shot, but there's just too many gaps in our defense.

Towards the end of the half we spent a good deal of time on the attack. We drew a couple of yellows, but didn't get a whole lot else accomplished. So far this is the worst match we played. We are just getting crushed in tackles and headers -- it just looks like we aren't really ready for this contest. Goncallinho, Adriano, and Martins have been decent: nobody else is pulling their weight at all. We aren't good enough to not show up like this. 5-3 in shots and they are getting better quality as well.

63rd minute. This match in a microcosm -- a free kick from well into their territory, and Decio can't even complete the pass -- he sends a simple one off target and they intercept. Martins had recently picked up a yellow for us, a rarity as we've done well avoiding those. In the 78th minute they nearly convert a corner -- Adriano barely tips it wide, but it simply results in another and this one is punched home. 2-0. Somebody shoot me now.

It took over 83 minutes to win our first corner attempt. We had not a single completed cross the entire match. Just yuck. Then Nelio was hurt in the 87th minute. Just what we need. A minute later Gomes had a good opportunity from just outside the area ... missed inches right. Not that it would have mattered, but it would have been nice to get on the board.

CAMC 2 : 0 Andorinha

10-7 in shots, and how's this for fun: 83% to 47% in headers. That's just ugly. They did everything better.

Best 3: Goncalinho(6.9), 4 players with 6.6
Worst 3: Gomes/Barbosa/Estrela(5.9)

Barbosa and Estrela tend to have their bad games at the same time. It never turns out well when they do. They need to stop that. Adriano will be out for 2 weeks with a bruised thigh. So now we will be playing with uber-crap goalkeeper Lila in there. This ... could be bad.

More hilarity in the post-match presser: CAMC head coach Rui Vilarinho stated his belief that we 'will have no trouble' avoiding relegation. I'm not sure about that at this moment.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #14
whomario
Pro Starter

Just wanted to drop by and say that i´m reading along Had one of my more fun FM-experiences managing in Portugal in the 09 version, very interesting country to manage in definitely.
Be sure to try and get a speedy winger or 2, in my experience those do very well in lower leagues that aren´t english (where they just get destroyed physically) and a big towering striker to put in late in games !
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #15
Portiere
Mascot

Also enjoying the read. Didn't Christano Ronaldo play at Andorinha in his youth career?
Portiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:07 AM   #16
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for the support!

Decio and Nelio are fairly speedy, but as far as signing those types of players, that's great advice that I have no way of implementing, because I can't really sign much of anything for financial reasons(cap is $40/wk. and unlikely to change anytime soon).

You are right about Ronaldo, I didn't know that but looked it up and he was there for two years as a youth player. Very interesting!
Old 07-16-2011, 01:19 AM   #17
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha(1-1-2) vs. Chaves(1-1-2), 10.16.10
Dry, 57

Team morale is down to roughly average or a little below: we really need a result here, but it'll be tough banged up. Ze Pedro is available for reserve duty at least, I want to get him some second-half minutes if possible to ease him back into things. Our opponents are the pre-season favorites to win the league, but not off to such a hot start.

In the 25th minute, after a very sedentary beginning, Santos had a couple of sharp-angle attempts from close in, though the Chaves keeper turned both aside. Both teams had a few tough chances in the first half. Chaves out-shot us 5-3, but no clear chances and one on-target each way. Ze Pedro comes on for Barbosa at intermission, hopefully he'll be good for at least a half of play by now. We've played well enough for at least a draw, and right now I'd be happy with that to get us headed back in the right direction.

Dangerous counter by Chaves a couple minutes in, Estrela recovered just in time to deflect a shot from the right post area, then the rebound came out in front just inside the area and they missed it wide left. That was their best chance of the match so far. A couple minutes later Gomes found Necio with a nice pass, open for a sharp-angle shot just at the left corner of the box, but he missed it high and right. At the end of the 55th minute, they got another opening but again our defense got back just in time to deflect before Lila's abilities even became an issue. Ten minutes later, Lila was needed for a good effort to tip a lucky backwards header over the crossbar.

And then it happened. 69th minute, a beautiful floating cross by one of their midfielders, and they got to it first right in front. 0-1. Not much happened after that.

Andorinha 0 : 1 Chaves

Best 3: Reis(7.2), Barbosa(7.0), Decio/Martins/Goncalinho(6.9)
Worst 3: Ze Pedro(6.0), Lila/Nelio(6.4)

Attendance: 145

Match of the day in Second Division-North
Old 07-16-2011, 01:28 AM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Pontassolense got more physical and aggressive, which resulted in them injuring two of their own players over the next few minutes and not a whole lot else.

This made me laugh.

Rude of me I suppose, but it did.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-16-2011 at 01:28 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #19
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Taca de Portugal Third Round
Andorinha vs. Pinhalnovense, 10.16.10
Dry, 55
Odds: 30-1, 1-20(ouch!)

Our offense has now failed to score for almost three and a half games. Giving up four goals in those contests isn't a big deal, but we've got to find a way to generate more chances and I have no idea how to get more going.

We're going shorthanded today too. This could be very, very ugly. Rodrigues is still out, Adriano needs a few days yet to get ready to go again, and Ze Pedro, Dinarte, Necio, and Reis are still recovering from the recent loss vs. Chaves and not really ready to start. So here's our makeshift lineup, asterisks for those who aren't regular starters:

GK: Lila*
D: Fabio Ataide*, Barbosa*, Estrela, Martins
M: Decio, Sandro Camara*, Goncalinho, Paulinho*
ST: Santos/Gomes

Camara and Paulinho have never started for us: Ataide only has a few minutes at the end of one of the friendlies. Yeah, I don't think this is likely to be the one where we turn it around.

So of course, our defense was impregnable. Naturally. In the 25th minute, we got an absolute point blank chance when Goncalinho found Gomes right in front. He had too much time I think and couldn't decide what to do, so he just blasted it right at the keeper. Paulinho shot the rebound from the corner of the box, but they had just enough time to recover and dive for the save. That was shot five and six for us, which has been about what we are getting per match lately. Meanwhile, we haven't surrendered so much as a single strike. Go figure. But no goals yet, we aren't going to get a better opportunity than that one. Two clear chances on the same play and we come up empty.

A couple minutes later, Ataide of all people broke up a very dangerous cross, their best opportunity so far. Then they scored on their very first shot in the 33rd minute, on a look very similar to the one we missed from a nice cross. 0-1. 8-1 in shots at the moment, but theirs is the only one on the board. Disgusting. They nearly extended their lead in the 43rd minute, with a bullet from straight on, about 30 yards out, that clanged off the crossbar. Two minutes later, Santos had an excellent blast from the edge of the area that beat the keeper to the left ... but hit the bar as well. Argh!! We just can't buy anything in terms of scoring.

We were on permadefense in the second half, no such troubles to worry about for a good 20 minutes. We went on the attack after that, and got a number of decent chances espescially late, but were consistently off-target.

Andorinha 0 : 1 Pinhalnovense

Best 3: Ze Pedro/Dinarte/Santos(6.9)
Worst 3: Decio(5.9), Gomes(6.0), Martins(6.1)

Attendance: 215
Old 07-17-2011, 05:58 AM   #20
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Tirsense v. Andorinha, 10.24.10
Drizzle, 64

Tirsense is one of the higher-scoring teams so far, and is in a three-way tie for first place. There is good news though. We will have a
full, healthy lineup for the first time in league play this season. A minor injury to Martins five minutes in as they were on the attack
from the start, but he was able to continue.

Their star striker Roberto(6 goals, no-one else has more than one for them) had a good chance in the 14th minute, but it was blocked away by
Adriano. He had to make another save on a run-out a few minutes later. Finally in the 20th minute they broke through, with Adriano saving
the first effort but it came right back to their striker who found the open net. 1-0. They continued to press -- very obvious we are out of
our league against these guys, as they are getting quality chances almost at will. A penalty foul was called on Estrela in the 32nd minute,
and they convert for 2-0.

After we had been doing a better job of keeping them at bay, they add another score in the 61st minute from the edge of the area, beating
Adriano nearside. 3-0, amid protests that they were offside from Barbosa. And that was pretty much it, a few chances on each side but no more scores.

Tirsense 3 : 0 Andorinha

Best 3: Reis(6.8), Pires/Dinarte(6.7)
Worst 3: Estrela(5.2), Martins(5.4), Gomes/Ze Pedro(5.6)

Martins will be out 3-4 weeks with a gashed leg.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:04 AM   #21
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Merelinense vs. Andorinha, 10.31.10
Dry, 62
1-6, 5-1, 10-1

Morale is bad and getting worse -- we really need a result soon and even though this is an away match, it's still a decent chance to get one. Both squads are on the edge of the relegation zone, 12th and 13th respectively, and both have lost four straight contests. We should at least be able to stay in it: their three goals through six matches is second-worst. Whether we can break our own scoreless streak is another matter.

Flavio will have to start in place of Martins, but they are worse off health-wise than we are. Extremely long odds once again.

Very sloppy play on both sides to begin, espescially us but I've gotten used to that. And just into the fourth minute, we caught our break. A free kick from Decio from well out of the area, he hits it long and their keeper grabs it ... and drops it! Estrela was johnny on the spot and slid into an easy score, right in front, before anyone else could get to it. Merelinense protested that he'd touched the ball with his hands, but that was an absurd falsehood. The main point being ... we scored! For the first time in something like 400 minutes, we scored! Yeah, they gave it to us virtually, but I'll take anything right now.

A minute and a half later, a penalty foul on Ze Pedro ... and an obvious one, just stupid. They convert and just like that it's 1-1. We just had to give it right back to them. Pedro has been a disaster this year -- he's supposed our best player but he's either injured or totally stinking it up, after a strong pre-season in which he scored twice and was great in defense. I don't get what's wrong with him.

8th minute, and Nelio gets banged up though he'll be able to continue. It sure hasn't been a boring contest. A few minutes later, we nearly had a great chance -- Goncalinho makes a nice move around a couple of defenders, finds Santos in front -- but leads him too much and their keeper gets there first. A little later, in the 16th minute, Adriano made a great save on their striker who had beaten everyone else, and we clear it out. A quick chance for Gomes down at the other end, but they save it. Then Santos goes berserk, picks up a yellow and starts hitting the touchline with pinpoint precision on his passes.

Disaster in the 22nd minute. Defense totally falls asleep, they mishandle a centering pass but get to it and hit it across again, it just slowly rolls across the box and nobody picks it up until they find it at the far post and put it in. 2-1. The most egg belongs to Estrela, who essentially gave back the goal from the beginning of the match. Then Decio nearly picks up a yellow after trying to regain possession when they tackle him on our next run. I can feel us disintegrating ... 31st minute ... a completely lame yellow on Estrela on a routine retrieval, it was a complete dive on their part but the ref bought it, giving them a free kick just outside the area. 38th minute, and Santos hits the upright from long range, Gomes is just a step behind their defenders in getting to the rebound. We can get chances against this squad, but we need to put a couple of them in the net.

They must have heard me thinking. A couple minutes later we get a corner, and Nelio sends it near post, where Ze Pedro finally shows up and
heads it over the keeper and just under the crossbar. Eureka! A legitimate goal there, which hopefully will pull him out of his slump. 2-2!

First time I've said this in a while, but at the half I'm really thinking we are outplaying them overall, we need to stop settling for too many long shots, but away or no I'm thinking not just draw but a very possible win here. Goncalinho is the only one who is playing particularly poorly(well Flavio too, but that's expected -- he just sucks). A minute in, a very nice play ends up with Santos setting up Gomes for a shot straight-on inside the area ... and he just weakly taps it at the keeper. What happened to his aggressive instincts? Strike the ball, don't massage it! That's what you were hired for!! We miss a pair of tackles a couple minutes later and thankfully they push a great chance wide right. Both sides dodge a bullet, and we are still even.

54th minute, and an excellent near-post header chance for them clangs off the crossbar, and we clear it out. This match is going to age me years. Two minutes later, a quick succession of passes from Reis to Nelio to Gomes via a cross leaves him right in front and he blasts it but right up the middle ... stopped by their sliding keeper. ARGH! He should have picked up a yellow shortly after but was given mercy. I'd be frustrated too, if I kept shooting the ball straight at the one player between me and the goal.

Ugh. 68th minute, and after we clear out a corner, a defender they'd recently subbed in takes a shot from 25 yards out ... at least. It finds the upper right corner. 3-2. A similar play in the 75th minute, a little closer in, but a shot up over Adriano's head and just under the bar. He gets his fingers on it, but it still goes by and in. 4-2, and I just want it to be over.

We had a couple more decent chances, but we did what we normally do with them. Absolutely nothing. Fact is they should have scored again. A nice shiny new yellow card for Gomes in the 82nd minute rounded out a true fail of a half -- for him and for the squad.

Merelinense 4 : 2 Andorinha

Best 3: Estrela(7.2), Ze Pedro/Santos(7.1)
Worst 3: Flavio(5.6), Dinarte(5.7), Gomes/Goncalinho(5.9)

They just scored more on us in one match then in their previous six combined. Disgusting.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-17-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:06 AM   #22
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

OCTOBER ROUNDUP

Losing every game the entire month was not my plan. The board is satisfied overall, still pleased about our win over Pontassolence but unhappy like the rest of pretty much everyone associated with the club about Gomes apparent goal-scoring allergy.

We presently sit in 13th place, otherwhise known as the best position to get relegated. We have three of our next four at home, and this disastrous run needs to stop like yesterday. The board are satisfied that the players have tried their best -- which means a whole lot of nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Finances -- we would have lost $25k without a $55k cash injection from the board.

The first positive training report I've gotten all year: Rodrigues(Strength), Nelio(Tactics) and Reis(Aerobic) did well. Decio continues to work hard at not working hard, however.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #23
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha(1-1-5, 13th) vs. AD Oliveirense(5-0-2, 3rd), 11.7.10
Shower, 50

Our opponents today are the stingiest team in the league, giving up only five goals in their first seven matches. Meanwhile neither of our strikers have scored in the last 574 minutes of play. You do the math.

An good start saw a shot by Santos get deflected by their defense and Estrela miss a good header opportunity just over the bar, all within the first two minutes. Keeping the ball away from them is espescially important in this matchup.

Soon we settled into a strange but even flow where they dominated possession, but we won all the key headers and our share of tackles to keep them from getting any quality looks. It was a really excellent half for us. We gradually contested possession more and more, and were more aggressive to the ball then I've seen us play yet this year. Against one of the best teams in the league, we held our own, outshooting them 8-2, 3-1 from close in. No yellows on either side, and aside from Decio and Ze Pedro, everyone has been solid.

First shot on target for either side came in the 52nd minute, on a beautiful pass from Dinarte to Gomes. The keeper had come out, but he laid out and blocked it for a nice save.

In the 64th minute, the stalemate ended. After a throw-in from our end, Dinarte found Santos on a run in between their defense, and he slipped a shot past their keeper and well inside the near post. 1-0! Now we just need to keep playing great defense ourselves. Just a perfect pass by Dinarte, it had to be and he put it right on the money. Four minutes later, he made an excellent tackle on their best run-out of the match -- our defenders had been caught upfield, and he made the play before a shot could be attempted. In the 70th minute they had a close one from just outside the area, but it missed wide right and high. Not by much. Estrela has been everywhere on defense the last several minutes as well.

In the 73rd minute they pick up a yellow card. Frustration is setting in -- I know the feeling well by now. I think about subs but decide to stay with everyone -- only Flavio is that tired and I don't have another left fullback with Martins out. Let em finish what they started. In the 79th minute, another run for them, Estrela is the only man who can break it up and again he does. Five minutes later they get one down the right, our weak spot, but the shot is a soft floater right at Adriano. No problem.

Soon afterwards they get another yellow card for a blatant foul on Estrela. An important header a minute later -- guess who clears it out? 88th minute, we're almost there and a rare great opportunity for Dinarte, set up by Goncalinho ... weak shot though and easily saved. 91st minute -- they wheel inside the area with a nice move, but hit it over the bar. A minute later, a big header by Ze Pedro but they let fly with a blast from 30 yards or so, which just misses high.

That's it!

Andorinha 1 : 0 AD Oliveirense

Our first league shutout, and biggest win of the year no question. This could and hopefully will give us a real jump-start. 13-8 in shots, with most of theirs of the long-range and off-target variety. Even Decio picked it up late, there's nobody on the squad to criticize. Can't remember the last time that happened.

Best 3: Estrela(7.5), Santos/Reis(7.4)
Worst 3: Adriano(6.6), Decio/Goncalinho(6.8)

Santos got the goal, but Estrela was named man of the match, and I completely agree. They'd have had multiple goals if it wasn't for his
efforts, in my opinion.

Attendance: 134
Old 07-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #24
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha(2-1-5, 13th) vs. Canical(1-0-7, 15th), 11.14.10
Breezy, 55

Our opponents have an astonishing -21 differential already: 3 scored and 24 allowed, dead last in both categories. Even their uniforms suck(yellow with orange vertical stripes, just flat ugly). Yet they have somehow managed to win once and are strongly favored against us. Then again, I think respect for us is so low right now that a random collection of street people would also be favored against us.

This is the first match where the staff lists more advantadges for us than disadvantadges in the matchup, and on paper it's the easiest match of the year. Martins is available but not ready to start, hopefully I can get him some minutes late if we are in control of things.

It took only three minutes to get a couple shots off -- the first was blocked and the second, from the left side by Dinarte, was tipped out by the keeper. A good start though. In the 11th minute we got a corner, they cleared it out but Nelio crossed it in again, and this time it was basically a jump ball in front of the goal. Estrela got his head on it first, lofting it over the keeper's hands where it bounced off the bottom of the crossbar and in. 1-0, an important early goal.

20th minute -- Santos had a really good chance to add a second goal in as many matches, but his sliding strike in front of the left post was just wide. We stayed in their end for the next several minutes, having a few shots blocked, and a rare header by Goncalinho in the 27th minute went over. In the 35th minute Santos hit the bar from waaaay out ... we love to just barely miss it seems. 40th minute -- Adriano finally has to make a save, on a weak roller from the right side. They hit the crossbar with a long floater a minute later, reminding us that while we are in control at the moment, it only takes one strike to change that.

At the half we lead 10-3 in shots, I'd just be a lot more comfortable with one more score. 48th minute -- a corner for us, they almost complete miss the header and it goes to Estrela for a sharp angle shot, but it's blocked right at the goal line.

Unbelievable chance for Gomes in the 54th minute. Cross in from Nelio, he's right in front just a couple yards out of the box, keeper is out of position, all he has to do is push it in -- and he goes right with it, right at the keeper. They clear it out. That kind of play should just be automatic for him, I don't know what his problem is right now.

And it continues. Dinarte with a long shot in the 59th minute, saved but their keeper doesn't control it. Decio gets their first, shoots from the corner of the box ... way over the bar. We really should have three goals by now. A couple minutes later, Dinarte picks up a foolish yellow card at midfield. In the 68th minute, they hit a sharp grounder across from the left side of the area, and it takes a great effort by Adriano to tip it wide. That was too close. A couple minutes later, I pull Dinarte after another foolish foul which frankly should have gotten him sent off I think.

In the 73rd minute, another chance for Gomes. Santos finds him in the area with some room to work with, he hits a decent strike for once to the right side but a diving save is made. He gets a weak header attempt in the follow-up, which is easily saved. Four minutes later, a cross by Sanchez who had just come on was sent close to Gomes, but it never got to him, ricocheting off one of their defenders and in. He just turned his back at the wrong moment. It's still a 2-0 lead, and we can relax a bit now.

81st minute, and Pires finds Gomes at the edge of the area, wide open ... and he pushes it wide right. This is seriously becoming a parody of itself at this point. The shutout went out the window in the 86th minute, when Ze Pedro got handed his hat by one of their strikers, who then virtually walked in alone and beat Adriano easily. 2-1. We easily cleared the last couple of runs, and hold on.

Andorinha 2 : 1 Canical

18-7 in shots, and we were competitive or better in the other key stats. It should have been a more one-sided score, but any win is a good win for us.

Best 3: Estrela(7.9), Nelio(7.3), Reis(7.1)
Worst 3: Gomes(6.0), Camara(6.7), Ze Pedro(6.8)

Estrela was man of the match yet again.

Attendance: 142
Old 07-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #25
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Camacha(3-2-4, 11th) vs. Andorinha(3-1-5, 12th), 11.21.10
Dry, 64

A completely healthy squad again for us on this one, Martins returns to the lineup, which with the way things have gone for me means it's time for somebody to get hurt again. With the standings starting to shake out, this is looking like an important match between two of the contenders for the final relegation spot. They come out, unexpectedly, in an aggressive 4-2-3-1 formation.

Things got going in the ninth minute, with our first good chance of the match. They'd had only one shot, a pipe dream from long range that
was well off the mark. Santos found Gomes ahead of their defense, their keeper came out to challenge and blocked his attempt. He has to score eventually, right? A minute later, Estrela gets a header off a corner ick ... I don't know what he aimed that at, but it was nowhere near the goal.

17th minute, and they break the tie on another long one that beats Adriano to the upper left corner. That's the kind of strike that I just have to applaud, but there's not a whole lot we can do about it when they hit something like that from 30 yards away. In the 37th minute a missed tackle leads to a cross to the near post, where there star striker Luis Miguel puts it in. 2-0. We are even in shots(4-4), but they know how to finish theirs. Reis is the only player who had a solid first half.

64th minute, and Nelio goes down hurt at midfield. I told you somebody would get injured today. He has to come out, and meanwhile we haven't attempted a shot since the early going. I pull Dinarte while I'm at it, since he's been stinking the place up.

Ugly play in the 73rd minute, on which they should have scored again. They hit a long pass ahead, Adriano comes out to gather it, and he arrives at the ball the same time Reis and their striker do. It gets by and rolls slowly towards the goal, stopping just short. Thankfully Ze Pedro is the first man there. In the 80th minute they add another one on a rocket from outside the area, 3-0 now. Adriano was slow to react to that one.

A couple minutes later, Gomes let one fly, not a bad effort but just slow enough that the keeper made a save just inside the right post.

Camacha 3 : 0 Andorinha

It was closer than the score, but once again we just aren't good enough at attacking and finishing to take advantadge of the other things we do well.

Best 3: Reis(7.0), Sanchez/Santos(6.7)
Worst 3: Martins(5.7), Dinarte(5.8), Goncalinho(5.9)
Old 07-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #26
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha(3-1-6, 13th) vs. Maritimo B(2-5-3, 12th), 11.28.10
Dry, 62

Our opponent today has a dead-even goal differential, which is worse than any other team south of 9th place. They'd be a lot better if they
could split their league-leading draws into wins and losses. A relatively defensive squad despite their 4-3-3 formation. Both key men for the match are defenders.

They totally dominate possession in the early going, but neither team gets close to a shot attempt. If they stay this content to constantly pass the ball around and not do anything with it -- well, I understand why they've drawn half their matches. Nelio looks great early, with a couple of nifty moves and a key tackle as they try to penetrate our area. In the 13th minute they take the first shot -- easily blocked at the edge of the area. It's early yet, but I'm getting a strong 'scoreless draw' vibe. 21st minute -- well so much for that. Just a hideous defensive lapse. They get a decent run-out, and instead of attacking the goal their striker draws Ze Pedro wide, then crosses to where he would have been for a header, catching Estrela looking the wrong way. It wasn't that good of an effort though, I really think Adriano should have gotten to that, he just looked frozen. Sigh. 0-1.

Two minutes later, we strike back. Dinarte sets it up, angling past his man and then finding noted goal-scorer(that's sarcasm, in case it wasn't obvious) Nelio with a nice lead pass. He's alone on the right corner of the box, but I've seen this movie before. Time for him to hit it about 20 feet over the bar. Only this time he hits a solid strike well inside the right post, with one defender on his hip and another closing fast. Unusual composure for him, but it's even now at 1-1! Only four shots in the match, two for each side, but two goals. Unexpected.

30th minute ... nice cross from Nelio, high area location, Gomes could have gotten to it easily but he stands there and admires it as it goes by. Moron! I swear he needs a lobotomy. 35th minute -- Another run-out for them, straight up the gut, Adriano comes out to challenge but they hit the upper left of the net. 1-2. Ever since Gomes's brain fart they had taken control again. Reis was two deep and the center defenders got caught upfield. Just before halftime, in the 43rd minute, we got even again on a corner kick -- Ze Pedro outjumped two of their defenders and put a header right on the doorstep over the keeper and just under the bar. 2-2! Hardly the boring match I expected at first, that's for certain.

A real mix of good and bad on the first-half ratings, but I try to get the team re-focused on what is a very important second half. Gomes had the first good chance in the 55th minute, but it wasn't even close. Way wide right. Reis followed it up almost immediately by drawing a yellow card. 10 minutes later they get their first shot of the half on a contested run-out, tough-angle shot and it hits the side of the net. I lose patience with Reis, the only player who hasn't done anything useful in either half, and put Rodrigues in.

74th minute -- Ze Pedro has been taken out as well for reasons of fatigue. A cross into the box, and Decio is furious about what he felt was
a penalty foul. No whistle. We get a corner anyway, and Barbosa goes up for it ... but the keeper snatches it out of the air. Both squads are really starting to press now. We may be on the attack more, but all it takes is one lapse to lose this one. Five minutes later their best defender picks up a yellow.

In the 80th minute, a combination of a beautiful play and a horrific lapse. After working the ball around patiently, not exactly our strong suit, Goncalinho finds the seam up the middle on the attack. Gomes stays away from it thankfully, as he's yards offside. Their keeper comes out to collect it, but he's a step late, and Santos gets their first, easily poking it into the upper left corner. 3-2, and we have our first lead of the match!

In the 84th minute, Santos sends a cross in front and Gomes nearly puts the match away with a good sliding strike, but their keeper just gets a hand on it. Three minutes later, same combination ends up with Gomes in a one-on-one. Their keeper dives ... can't quite reach it ... the ball rolls JUST wide right. He really can not by a blessed thing right now. It's always something.

In the 90th minute, Pires has a good look at a header in front, but misses high. Still, they've only had one rush at all, and it's great that we are still controlling play. Just a few more minutes of that to go ...

Andorinha 3 : 2 Maritimo B

A big win today, moving us back out of the relegation zone, at least for the moment. We outshoot them 11-9, most of that late. Even game and we just finished better. I feel weird after writing that, that just isn't something that happens much. I'll take it.

Best 3: Nelio(8.6), Ze Pedro(7.4), Santos(7.3)
Worst 3: Reis(5.8), Adriano(6.7), Gomes/Estrela(6.8)

Nelio's match is the best for any of my player's so far. It does not earn him man of the match though -- striker Sami for Maritimo B, who accounted for both of their goals, gets that honor.

Attendance: 178(best so far for a league match)

Match of the day for the Second-Division North
Old 07-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #27
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

NOVEMBER UPDATE

The board is very pleased: the win over Maritimo B is the biggest positive, Gomes' play is still the biggest negative. Lost $15.53k last month. They are also delighted with our present position out of the relegation zone.

Nelio had a good training month to go with some strong performances(Tactics), but three other players did not do so well:

Rodrigues(Ball Control)
Gomes(Aerobic)
Filipe Martins(Strength)

Standings:

U. Madeira has seized the division by the throat and squeezed. Only one loss, and they have a differential of +24: no other squad has scored more aggregate goals than that. They have a six-point lead and it's already theirs to lose a third into the season. At the bottom, Canical(3 pts) and Braganca(6 pts) have strong grips on the bottom two relegation spots. There is a packed race to avoid the top two however, and we're right in the middle of it:

Ad Oliveirense(16 pts)
Lousada(16 pts)
Camacha(15 pts)
Chaves(15 pts)
Merelinense(13 pts)
Andorinha(13 pts)
Pontassolense(12 pts)
-----------------------
Fafe(11 pts)
Maritimo B(11 pts)

A nine-team race right now, with the bottom two getting sent down. At this point we are 3-0-3 vs. the others, with Lousada and Fafe yet to come. With those two teams and Braganca featuring as our December foes, it's a critical stretch that provides an opportunity to build on our
recent momentum(3-0-1 in November) and put some breathing room in our position.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #28
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Braganca(2-0-9, 15th) vs. Andorinha(4-1-6, 12th)
Drizzle, 55

Braganca is, like us, a middle-of-the-pack squad offensively, but significantly worse defensively, almost three goals a match surrendered.
They also are beat up. This is the first of three matches in eight days: Im glad we are going into the this stretch healthy.

In the fifth minute, we get the first good chance of the match. Santos lads Gomes, who was so open their defense couldn't catch up as he approached the goal. Decent attempt, but deflected away by their keeper. Same script. Four minutes later they got a decent header opportunity off a corner kick, saved by Adriano. Both teams got some decent chances, but they broke through in the 19th minute. Too many of the defenders got sucked out wide, leaving Nelio to get beat like a drum by their star striker Bacari, who just got a roller past Adriano at the near post. 1-0. Two minutes later, Santos had a great chance to tie it, right in front ... clang! Off the left post. Soon after Ze Pedro had a good header chance from a decent angle ... saved. We're getting chances to score, just not putting them in.

Just before half, in the 44th minute, Decio had a great strike on the doorstep, only to be tackled(and fouled in my opinion) at the last possible instant. Their keeper was way out of position ... argh. 7-6 in shots at the break, and overall we've definitely been the better squad but have nothing to show for it yet.

It got worse. In the 49th minute, Pedro Estrela was called for a penalty on a cross into the box. We did not agree with the call. We espescially did not agree with the red card he was called for. Bacari went up high and converted on the penalty. 2-0. A nice angled shot from the edge of the area made it 3-0 in the 61st minute, and with us a man down, it was clearly over.

Five minutes later, Barbosa did get one back for us, when he scored on a far-post header off a corner kick. They used their man advantadge to
score again in the 72nd minute, and again the lead was up to three at 4-1.

Braganca 4 : 1 Andorinha

We didn't play very well, but had a real chance without those two bad penalty calls.

Best 3: Barbosa(7.3), Nelio(7.1), Santos/Decios(6.7)
Worst 3: Martins(5.7), Ze Pedro/Dinarte(5.8)
Old 07-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #29
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Just found this. I'm enjoying the challenge you face.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #30
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks! One of the things I'm discovering is that I'm not any good yet in evaluating how good players are at this level.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:02 AM   #31
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha(4-1-7, 13th) vs. Fafe(3-2-7, 14th)
53, Shower

A critical match for both teams. While we were getting beat three days ago, they were losing, at home, 4-2 to Pontalossense. Two tired squads, and both need a result here.

We will have a bit of a different lineup than usual -- everyone's healthy but Estrela is suspended(I appealed to no avail) and sitting a couple guys due to fatigue as well.

GK: Adriano
D: Reis, Barbosa*, Ze Pedro, Flavio*
M: Ernesto Sanchez*, Goncalinho, Dinarte, Nelio
ST: Santos, Gomes

A win gives us at a minimum a gap of four points over the bottom three --a loss and we are deep in the relegation zone with a big hole to climb out of again. Meanwhile, it's now been over a thousand minutes since Gomes scored ...

At the end of the third minute, the most ridiculous thing I've seen this year. A routine kick downfield by Adriano from the edge of the area, except this one was longer than usual. It found a patch of ground in between their defenders, and Gomes ran it down first, on the right side of the area. The keeper was out to challenge, and this time Gomes tried a lob, striking it way too high. It took at least four or five seconds to land ... while the keeper just stood there and watched it for whatever reason. And land it did. On the goal line a fair amount inside the left post. And bounced in untouched. A completely stupid goal, but I'll take it and I'm certain Gomes will. 1-0!!

In the 15th minute, on the first play resembling anything close to an attempt for them, we blocked one cross attempt only to have them put
another into the box right away. Barbosa missed the interception and their striker put it home with a diving header, no chance for Adriano. 1-1.

Very little rhythm to the match at all, there were a lot of fouls on both sides but espescially from Fafe. We had a tough one go against us in the 28th minute, when Santos and a defender converged on a poor backpass at the same time. Santos was called for a dubious foul, without which he would have had a fantastic chance to put us ahead again. We continue to outplay them pretty much across the board, but there have been very few opportunities. 5-2 in shots at the half, our only decent chances since the early goal both got blocked.

We got a few low-quality shots early in the second half, but nothing close. Some good passing in the 59th and 60th minute led to an open shot by Gomes, who put his second of the game past the keeper on a solid grounder -- but he was called offside! The replay showed he was
indeed a hair deep. Dinarte put a weak shot from long range on target a few minutes later, easily saved. Another decent shot three minutes later was blocked out for a cross ... we're firmly in control of the match, but the score was still even with just over 20 minutes left to play.

72nd minute -- after clearing out a dangerous cross, we go back on the attack, and it costs Fafe a yellow for a foul on Gomes to break it up. In the 80th minute, as I had just motioned for my final substitution, taking a quite tired Dinarte out, Decio made a great play on the far touchline, taking the ball away from their defender who was trying to by him and instantly feeding Gomes, open in the middle of the field as their defense was all caught too far upfield. Gomes raced in on goal, with one of their defenders on his heels but unable to challenge, and beat the keeper inside the right post. His second strike of the game, and this one will count. 2-1!! He nearly made it a hattrick in the 86th minute, but one of the defensemen got their head in the way of a shot header to the corner of the net. Ze Pedro nearly put one in on a corner two minutes later, but lost possession just before he was about to put away a gimme.

We didn't allow a shot on goal of any kind for the last 60 minutes plus and should have won by more, but a victory is a victory and this one was critical. Fafe is now winless in their last eight matches.

Andorinha 2 : 1 Fafe

Best 3: Gomes(8.8), Adriano(7.5), Reis/Decio(7.1)
Worst 3: Sanchez(6.2), Flavio(6.7), Santos(6.8)

Gomes was named man of the match.

Attendance: 170
Old 07-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #32
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Lousada(5-2-6, 9th) vs. Andorinha(5-1-7, 11th), 12.12.10
Dry, 57

Lousada is a much better squad than their record indicates, with a +4 differential on the year. They are the fourth-highest scoring squad in the league so far, so it's a dangerous match for us that could get ugly. Their head coach, Antonio Carvalho, offered before the match that he doesn't think we are good enough to avoid relegation, adding a little more fuel to the fire.

For the first time this year, I decide to open with a defensive stance. A fair number of our goals come off of turnovers anyway, and I want to keep it close enough to give us a chance.

We settled for long-range shots early, with one of them by Dinarte requiring their keeper to go up high for the save. They had no shots in the first ten minutes, but one very dangerous play when Adriano just barely got to a lead pass before their striker. All in all a very good start, with us quite unexpectedly dominating possession.

A little controversy in the 17th minute, with Lousada building pressure, they clamored for a penalty call on a cross into the box, but there was no call and Adriano grabbed it up. Three minutes later they had a decent chance from the far side of the field, a bit of a sharp angle and Adriano made the save. A minute later, a nice pass from Gomes to Santos set up our best chance of the match, straight on just inside the area, but their keeper made the save, barely get his leg in the way of the shot in time to block it away. Another good opportunity for Santos a couple minutes later went wide right.

Lousada scores most of their goals near the end of the first half, and they used their aerial advantadge to do it again. A corner kick in the 39th minute, right in front of the goal line, and they simply out-jumped Estrela and put it in easily from the far post. 1-0. Just before the half, Dinarte was injured and had to leave. So much for staying healthy. 6-3 in shots, our favor, at the half, and other than the fact that we are getting crushed in headers, we've been indisputably the better squad. None of which matters as we've got nothing on the scoreboard so far. And our captain and best-passing midfielder is on the bench.

Most of the second half was quite non-descript. They struck again in the 73rd minute, one of the most impressive goals I've seen this year. Outside of the area and well wide of the goal, the ball curved just inside the post and Adriano's diving attempt to stop it wasn't even close. Not many players at this level are even capable of something like that. 2-0.

Lousada 2 : 0 Andorinha

We outshoot them 7-5, but they take advantadge of theirs and we don't. Frustrating, we played well enough to come out of here with at least
a draw, but instead lose our sixth straight road match ... all by multiple goals.

Best 3: Reis(7.2), Pires/Dinarte/Estrela/Gomes(6.8)
Worst 3: Martins(5.9), Camara/Santos(6.1)

Dinarte has a twisted ankle, and will be out 6-8 weeks. Sandro Camara will replace him, but this is a significant loss. Camara is a less
aggressive player and leaves us with two central midfielders that, while skilled in other ways, are both poor passers, and this will not have
good effects on our attack chances.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #33
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha(5-1-8, 13th) vs. U. Madeira(10-3-1, 1st), 12.19.10
Shower, 57

Now begins a difficult and critical six-match stretch. We have three straight at home, then three straight on the road, at the conclusion of which the home stretch will commence, with ten matches remaining at that point. The three home matches are all against teams currently in the Top 5 of the league, while we've been horrible away from home. We could very easily end up in a huge hole, both in morale and in the standings, if we can't find a way to get some decent results.

U. Madeira is still the highest-scoring squad in the league, but they lost their best midfielder a while back and have only managed three draws since, after winning 10 of 11 to open the year. Then in their last match, they lost star striker Bertinho to a thigh strain. I never like to see a team not able to perform at their best, but there's no getting around the fact that this is a huge bonus to us. Bertinho has 14 goals in 14 matches
-- no other player in the league has more than eight. Given their injuries and the fact we are hosting, we'll just try to play our normal style, but even with the injuries they are still a very dangerous squad.

They came out in an aggressive 4-1-2-2-1 formation, obviously wanting to throw more players into the attack instead of relying on Bertinho as they normally do with a 4-1-4-1. Both squads had some dangerous attacks going in the opening minutes, but no shots resulted as the defenders cleared them out just in time. With offensive fouls in the penalty area for both sides, it looked like the referees would have a busy day.

In the 12th minute we dodged the first bullet. One of their attackers got free in the area and let loose a blast, but Adriano had come out to challenge and he was in the right position to block it. Our first shot didn't come until midway through the first half. Santos didn't even manage to keep it inside to six-yard box, much less anywhere near the goal. A few minutes later we had our first real threat, a nice cross from Santos to Camara in front, but their keeper got to a step sooner. 27th minute, and they let loose with another strike from mid-area, left of the goal -- a nice high strike, but Adriano gets his hands on it and deflects it away. I aven't seen a bad shot attempt from these guys yet. Reis eventually cleared out the ensuing corner.

32nd minute -- Goncalinho gets hurt in our end, but is able to stay on. Which is a good thing, because right now we haven't a single remotely competent central midfielder on the bench. A minute later, Reis and their replacement striker go up for a header ... their man goes down hard and is hurt, but he stays on as well. The physios are busy today. 36th minute -- another save for Adriano. This one was an easy one, but I've seen enough. I switch to defensive mentality, as we aren't generating any offense anyway(only one shot attempt so far). A draw at home in this case would be just fine with me. A minute later, a free kick from left of the area, they get a good header attempt -- Adriano dives and saves again. They could easily have two or three goals, he's having an amazing match.

Just before the half, Filipe Martins got hurt and had to leave the match. 9-1 in shots in the first half.It took 27 seconds in the second half for the tie to be broken. Newly substituted Flavio got beaten like a drum by one of their attackers, and Adriano didn't have a chance at this one, just inside the right post. 0-1. In the 52nd minute they nearly added another, but it was off the post. Right now I just want to keep this from getting out of hand, they are getting shots almost at will. 58th minute, and they get free again, right in front ... they try to dribble around Adriano, he gets his hands on the ball but can't hold it, open shot ... and they hit the other post this time, then foul Estrela trying to get to it. 63rd minute, they maneuver into the area again, Adriano dives and saves again as they tried to go across to the far high corner. This should be a blowout.

67th minute -- a perfect placed shot from just outside the area finds the corner, and finally puts the nail in the coffin. 0-2. Adriano made a good attempt, he just couldn't quite get there. Controversy in the 70th minute -- Santos got a good lead pass and put a lob over the keeper's head and just under the bar -- but he was whistled off-side. I disagree, but it was a close one. We certainly could have used a break.

At the beginning of the 81st minute, we got one. A free kick from about 25 yards out, Decio takes it as usual and it is deflected by the defensive wall ... and straight into the upper right corner! 1-2, and we are alive again, barely. With only ten minutes left and one play away from a tie, I put in my last couple of subs and switch to a more offensive mentality. The worst case is we still lose anyway, after all. We got a corner in the 84th minute, Estrela had a look at a far-side header but totally misjudged it and they cleared it out. In the 88th minute, Santos had a shot from just outside the area, but as with almost all our long-range attempts this year, he couldn't put much on it, and their keeper barely had to move to retrieve it.

No more chances. 18-3 in shots, we were very fortunate to only lose by a goal. U. Madeira is much better than anybody else we've played, they don't belong in the Second Division. Hopefully they won't be after this year. I'm certainly not interested in trying to deal with them when they are fully healthy and have their two best players available. The thing is, we were competitive in passing, possession, etc. -- but their attacking and finishing is on a whole other level.

Andorinha 1 : 2 U. Madeira

Best 3: Decio/Adriano(7.4), Martins(6.9)
Worst 3: Reis(5.7), Flavio(6.0), Ze Pedro(6.1)

Martins will be out 2-3 weeks with a broken nose. He won't miss much thankfully, as we'll be on holiday break for the time being, but may
miss our next match.

Attendance: 180
Old 07-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #34
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

DECEMBER ROUNDUP

Finances: lost $20.2K

Training report:

Positive:

Ernesto Sanchez(Strength), Gomes(Tactics)

Negative:

Ze Pedro(Aerobic), Ruben Rodrigues(Aerobic), Nelio(Aerobic)

At the midpoint of the year, U. Madeira still has control, with a 7-point lead and only one loss on the season. More relevant to us, the
bottom half of the table ...

Maritimo B(20 pts)
Merelinense(19 pts)
Pontassolense(17 pts)
---------------------
Andorinha(16 pts)
Fafe(14 pts)
Braganca(12 pts)
Canical(6 pts)

Speculation has begun as to what will happen at the end of the year, as my contract was only for one season. Apparently the board is concerned that I will leave for greener pastures.

SECOND TRANSFER WINDOW

The above standings illustrate that our odds of staying up are shaky at best. Realizing this, I committed to a relatively extreme course of action. I released outright all of our youth players, including those who have recently come of age to receive a pro contract. There isn't a remotely useful player in the bunch, or even one potentially so. The compensation fees cost the club a pretty penny, but the board is more concerned with the weekly wage bill.

I also brought in four new players at the beginning of the new year, bringing our total to 23 on the roster, and the wage bill to $1,051/week, which is still $226 over budget but I'm hoping to get rid of some high-paid dead weight to close that gap and maybe even eliminate it. The new faces:

DL Edgar Carvalho(6-0, 165, 30)
DC Abadito(5-11, 171, 34)
DC Ricardo Carmo(5-11, 171, 28)
ST Julio Coronel(5-7, 145, 24)

Carvalho takes care of the one glaring weak spot: he'll replace Martins in the starting lineup. He's a more offensive-minded player than any of our other defenders. Abadito is a good player, but in retrospect I shouldn't have signed him without waiting to see what Carmo did. I was surprised when Carmo signed with us, he becomes the most talented player on the roster immediately. Ze Pedro's days appear to be numbered -- he is continually underachieving, with an average rating this year of 6.59, only slightly better than Martins and far worse than any other starter. When Carmo is ready he'll take his place in the lineup -- if that holds, Ze Pedro's team-high $100 a week salary will make him extremely expendable.

Coronel hails from Brazil and should form a good combo with Santos in the long term. For now we'll see what he does as a reserve. These four signings should considerably upgrade the overall talent level on the roster.

WORLD RANKINGS

In 2010, Portugal moved up a couple spots from 8th to 6th, while the U.S. team dropped like a rock(18th down to 31st). The U.S. next competes in June in the North American Gold Cup. Drawn with them in Group A are Honduras, Grenada, and Panama, none of which are ranked in the Top 50. Defending champion Mexico(23rd) should be the only tough competition if the national team is in proper form.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #35
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha(5-1-9, 13th) vs. Riberao(8-5-2, 2nd), 1.9.11
Breezy, 44
7-1, 3-1, 1-3

This time we don't have to deal with Sebastian Molina, but Riberao has come on strong, recently taking over second place in the league. They
give up a lot of goals, but only U. Madeira has scored more.

Ten minutes in, they pick up a yellow card 30 yards out. Two minutes later Estrela stupidly decides not to let them have all the fun and picks up one of his own. Shortly after, one of their attackers snuck behind Reis and put an angled shot past Adriano for the score. 0-1. The lead lasted all of nearly two minutes. Carvalho made a quick impact, putting a nice cross just outside the box, where Santos put a header past their keeper just inside the near post. 1-1. Two minutes later, Riberao put another one in. We were in solid position, but their striker just went past Estrela easy and put a perfect strike just inside the far post. 1-2. Another yellow card in the 30th minute, this one on Camara.

Just before the half, in the 46th minute, we pulled off the most beautiful goal we've scored all year to tie it up. Decio beat one defender down the sideline, then sent a cross to the other side of the area. Nelio got to it first, but was bracketed by two defenders. Instead of taking the shot himself, he sent a header between them to Gomes, who was all alone at the corner of the box. Gomes headed it off the bounce, past the keeper and inside the post. A fantastic play, and we are even 2-2 at the half!! They've dominated the headers but we've been better otherwhise, outshooting them 8-6. No major changes.

Less than four minutes after the break, Decio was injured and had to come off. In the 51st minute, one of their attackers beat Reis and Estrela to get a good look, but weakly tapped the shot right at Adriano for an easy save. Reis picked up a yellow in the 55th minute -- I think that's the first time we've had three in one match. Five minutes later, we had a chance off a nice cross to Gomes in front, but one of their defenders made a last-ditch tackle and the ref gave them the benefit of the doubt.

In the 64th minute, Pires -- Decio's replacement, who has done a whole lot of nothing as a reserve since Gomes joined the squad -- took two defenders with him down the far touchline, then sent a cross into the middle where Santos stepped in front of the only defender in the area and punched it home for his second header goal of the day. 3-2, and we have a real shot at one of our biggest wins of the year now!

In the 70th minute a turnover led to a run-out by Gomes, way ahead of the field. Their keeper came out to challenge, Gomes went for the lob
... over his head slowly ... and its hits the left post. Inches from putting the match away. Sigh. Two minutes later Riberao picked up a yellow. He had another chance in the 81st minute, but it was blocked away from a very close, but also very sharp angle. Meanwhile, Pires was injured and had to leave. The squad list is quickly becoming a medical ward, and that's not exactly what we need right now. In the 85th minute, an idiotic yellow on the attack by Gomes. I'd pull him, but my substitutions were all used up. Right after that, our opponents picked up their third infraction. Seven cards in one match. What a disaster.

Then, in the 89th minute, our defense broke. A cross right after a throw-in to the near post, right between Ze Pedro and Estrela, and an easy sliding finish inside the box for their attacker. 3-3, and virtually no time left. But there was still SOME time left. Four minutes of extra time, to be exact. Pires' replacement, the recently signed Julio Coronel, placed a cross that nobody could get to in the 92nd minute. Their keeper tried for it as it bounced through the box, but it was too far in front. Ernesto Sanchez ran on to it, but he was well wide of the goal and nearly on the goal line when he got to it. He tried a header anyway into the narrow angle available to the unguarded net ... and bounced it in! Incredible finish!!! It actually more hit his shoulder than his head ... but it counts. The final goal count is a pretty accurate display of the relative play of the teams. I was certain after they tied it up that we'd surrendered another won match to a tie(we led 3-0 on the road only to tie 3-3 in the first match of the year).

Andorinha 4 : 3 Riberao

Best 3: Santos(8.8), Gomes(7.5), Sanchez(7.3)
Worst 3: Adriano(5.9), 9 players with 6.9

Santos' two goals deservedly earned him Man of the Match.

We have a positive record against the #2 team in the league. Maybe better things are in our future.

Celio Reis is expected to miss two weeks with a bruised thigh.
Decio(thigh strain -- four weeks)
Attendance: 136
Old 07-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #36
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha(6-1-9, 12th) vs. Macedo Cavaleiros(7-4-5, 6th), 1.16.11
Wet, 51
Odds: 7-2, 9-4, 4-6

Our best odds in any league match, and not against any pushover here. It appears I'm not the only one who thinks our recent signings are a big upgrade. Both squads are short three regulars, and they blanked us 2-0 on only seven shots earlier in the year. We come into it with decent or better morale across the board for the first time since the long losing streak last fall. If we win here, we'll be about as ready as we could be heading into the away stretch. Carmo makes his debut today, Ze Pedro sits. I'm very interested to see how our new star acquisition performs. He fills the same role, but is better at it, particularly as the strongest player on the squad.

Adriano had to couple big saves early on -- their best striker acted more as a decoy, pulling the defense wide and hitting excellent crosses into the box. Fortunately they flubbed the opportunities, but not by much. Neither was actually recorded as a shot, as they more of the lucky/unlucky ricochet variety. A free kick in the ninth minute was off the near post and into Adriano's hands ... a real fortunate bounce there. Our first decent opportunity came in the 17th minute, some nice passing between Santos and Gomes ended up with Santos between a pair of defenders on the edge of the area. One of his better long efforts resulted, just missing wide right by maybe a foot. That one had a chance, just enough on it that it might have gotten by. Two minutes later, a header by their best striker was trouble, but Adriano managed to tip it over the bar. Another close call averted. The ensuing corner bounced around dangerously, then resulted in another. They way overshot on the next one, and we regained possession. Too many early chances for them, I switch to a countering mentality as it doesn't look like our makeshift midfield is going to be able to consistently contend for possession anyway.

Before that change can even take effect, Camara finds Gomes in the area after a throw-in, just soft enough that the keeper can't get their first, and he angles it nicely to the left. The keeper has no chance, and we go up 1-0 in the 23rd minute! A minute later they get a corner, and Adriano has to make another big save, blocking off the near post area from a very sharp-angle attempt. 29th minute -- they get called for tripping Estrela in the box. I'm surprised that didn't draw a card. Five minutes later, a nicely executed free kick from midfield finds Gomes behind the defense -- he directs his header toward Santos instead of trying it toward goal. It would have been a fairly long header, but I still think that would have been the better option. His pass was off-target, and nothing comes of it.

Just before the half, in the 43rd minute, we pull off a stunner for the second match in a row. Estrela found Gomes well ahead of the field. MC's defenders closed on him, but he got off a shot from 20-plus yards before they could challenge. He sliced the ball left, past the keeper and well inside the far post. 2-0, and it looks like we dodged the bullet with their early pressure. Another chance a couple minutes later on a header from Gomes to Santos, but they took it away from him before he could get off a shot. Another minute, and they get one back from their talented midfielder Toninho, who went high and left, beating Adriano easily from just inside the area. 2-1, and a very quick momentum swing puts the visitors right back in the match at the start of the 46th minute.

They outshoot us 5-4, but it felt worse than that. Great half from Gomes obviously with two goals, a subpar one from Carvalho, but solid the rest of the way around and I just tried to keep the squad positive. Long way to go. A few minutes in, we get away with a pair of consecutive dives(by Carmo and Nelio) leading to a dangerous free kick just to the right of the area. Good opportunity for Estrela at the far post, but he gets almost nothing on it and one of their defenders blocks it away and clears. They acquire a yellow in the 50th minute on a much more legitimate trip. 55th minute, and Gomes gets a good opportunity, one-on-one from the edge of the area, but misses right. He was called offside anyway, a dubious call but it doesn't really matter in the end. Santos had a free look in the 59th minute -- wide left.

We've had a lot of pressure to open the half, but got nothing out of it so far, similar to how they began the match. 65th minute -- some exquisite passing gets MC their first decent chance of the half, but Adriano goes up high to collect it and preserve the lead. In the 74th minute, a big mistake by Adriano evens it up. He comes out to challenge a run-out, not getting there quite in time and leaving the goal open as a result. We had two defenders near the play who might have been able to challenge or block if he'd stayed back.

As it was, they easily hit the middle of an open goal after he overran it, and tie it up at 2-2. Five minutes later, I have to use my last sub to replace an injured Goncalinho -- injured committing a foul, no less. 84th minute: Carvalho clears out a dangerous cross. That was too close. They continue to attack, and get a corner in the 87th minute, and
a foul is called on Abadito at the far post. I don't think anybody on our side or in the stands agreed with the call, but that's irrelevant -- a penalty kick for MC to take the lead. Toninho takes it, and buries it in the upper right corner. Disgusting.

We got a corner of our own just into the 93rd minute, almost certainly our last chance ... they clear it out. That's it and that's all, a very disappointing loss, we should have gotten something out of this.

Andorinha 2 : 3 Macedo Cavaleiros

Best 3: Gomes(8.8), Estrela(6.9), Sandro Camara(6.8)
Worst 3: Carvalho(5.9), Santos(5.9), Carmo(6.1)

Not a good day for our new defensemen either.

Attendance: 144

Carvalho was injured late in the match, and will miss four weeks.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #37
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Pontassolense(4-7-6, 13th) vs. Andorinha(6-1-10, 12th), 1.23.11
Dry, 48
1-6, 5-1, 10-1

We won the earlier match 3-1, which is the only reason we are ahead of Pontassolense -- we are tied in the standings, and the final relegation spot could well come down to one of our two squads. We do get at least get Dinarte and Reis back for this one. Our hosts have not won in the last five matches, and we'll maintain the tiebreaker with them if we can extend that streak by one more.

It took all of a minute-plus for them to get their first shot, a long-range floater that Adriano went up to save fairly easily. Eight minutes later we got a free kick on the edge of the area, but their wall deflected Dinarte's attempt straight to the keeper. They got a nice run-out soon after, but Adriano got enough of it to push it just wide. A little later, the end of the 14th minute, we got a corner kick and Ricardo Carmo put a solid header from right in front home, his first goal for us and an early lead! 0-1.

In the 27th minute, major controversy as Dinarte found Santos in an opening in the area, and he hit a solid angled strike to easily beat their keeper. He was called offside though, and was none too happy about it. It was clearly the right call though, both he and Gomes were far deeper than their defense as the replay showed. Unfortunate for us though. It took only three minutes for us to get another chance. Nelio made the play. He beat two of their defenders up the far touchline, crossed early to Santos who took two more defenders with him on a wide run, leaving little traffic in front for his cross to Gomes. They didn't like the call, but Pontassolense was called for a penalty foul as the ball arrived. Dinarte went to his favorite spot, high and right, converting to remain perfect in penalties this year(3 for 3). 0-2 we are up, and now need to focus on avoiding a comeback like we suffered last time out.

I pull Reis, who has been struggling physically in his first match back from injury. In the 38th minute, they pick up a yellow just past midfield and Dinarte places the ensuing kick beautifully, an open header by Nelio at the far post, but he bunts it easily wide right. A great chance missed there, but it's hard to be upset up two goals. Three minutes later, another good chance of a corner kick, a pretty good header by Estrela from the far post, but the keeper leaps and makes the save. All in all, we are looking quite sharp, reversing an early possession deficit, and it's been quite some time since they had any kind of dangerous attack. Two minutes later, a nice counter passing play, Pires to Gomes to Santos, one on one with the keeper who came out to challenge -- wide left.

An immediate chance right out of the break, a long ball to Gomes, who got to it at the same time their keeper did. A split-second earlier and we may well have had another score. They hit a rocket from outside the area a couple minutes later, and our lead was cut in half. 1-2, and it's a match again. We can't afford to lse another multi-goal lead ... They stayed on attack for the next several minutes, and I'd had enough. I switch to a countering mentality. In the 56th minute they got a point-blank attempt just outside the box, but Adriano was out, cut off the angle and blocked it away. Another shot, blocked by our defensive line, and we cleared it. The momentum has clearly shifted though, and we need to weather a very dangerous storm here.

A miserable offside call wiped out our next chance before it could get started. 61st minute -- a botched defensive assignment by Estrela off a goal kick from our end led to a clear chance for their best striker, but he missed wide right. At this point I consider us quite fortunate to still be in the lead. Three minutes later, a diving save by Adriano off a deflection, a real scramble in front that was asking for trouble. I switch to defensive mentality, I just want to survive this, I don't really care if we attempt another shot the rest of the match. 68th minute, a long header for them off a corner, but a good one. Adriano just tips it over the bar. This match is going to age me quite prematurely.

75th -- we get our first opportunity in a long time, another corner header by Estrela, and he just put it over the bar. Dangerous corner for them two minutes later, they get two shots blocked and end up with another corner for the trouble. They get an open medium-range header at the far post, but it's just a weak bouncer, easily dealt with. 80th minute -- you can only dodge so many bullets. Estrela and Carmo get caught too far upfield, and a good passing play gives them a wide-open attacker in the area, and he angles a roller just inside the near post. 2-2, and we've now officially blown another lead. Three minutes later, a minor injury for Adriano away from the action. He stays on, but we're in trouble if he has to miss significant time.

87th minute -- a positively idiotic backpass by Martins gave them a huge opening, but Camara made a last-second tackle before they could get off a shot. We should have lost the match there. Totally unbelievable. We spend the last several minutes on attack, but can't get a shot off.

Pontassolense 2 : 2 Andorinha

I'm conflicted after this one. We get outshot 16-7, get a draw on the road, and yet with our early lead it's impossible to not be disappointed. Getting only one point out of these last two matches is a big wasted opportunity. But we do maintain the tiebreaker. The fact remains that if we'd held onto these two leads, we'd have all but booked our ticket to stay up. We'd be six points clear of the relegation zone, effectively seven points. As it is, a dogfight remains in front of us.

Best 3: Carmo(7.5), Dinarte(7.2), 4 with 6.9
Worst 3: Abadito(5.7), Martins(5.8), Estrela/Camara(6.7)

Adriano suffered no long-term effects from his injury, to my great relief.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #38
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

JANUARY ROUNDUP

We lost a truckload of money as expected, and another ugly training report. Flavio(Strength) was the only positive report, with Adriano and Martins among the negative reports.

I was quite surprised to see the fans didn't like our road draw -- I still think that's a bit of a high expectation. The overall board review is very pleased. They are still happy with the win over Riberao, but don't like the high payroll. That is becoming a serious concern as we have now passed the second transfer window and were unable to dump any of the dead weight. However, it does appear that if we avoid relegation, that success will be enough for them to overlook the financial situation. It really doesn't matter because there isn't anything I can do about it at the moment anyway.

STANDINGS UPDATE

Maritimo B(26 pts)
Chaves(24 pts)
Merelinense(23 pts)
Andorinha(20 pts)
---------------------
Pontassolense(20 pts)
Braganca(16 pts)
Fafe(15 pts)
Old 07-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #39
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Vizela(7-7-4, 6th) vs. Andorinha(6-2-10, 12th), 2.6.11
Dry, 62

Vizela beat us 1-0 to start off our long losing streak earlier in the year, surrendering only 5 shots. They have allowed only 20 goals this season, just one more than the league leaders. They have gone winless in their last four matches though(three of them losses), and we get Decio back for hopefully at least a half: Carvalho isn't ready yet but he's the only one on the injured list at this point. The ref is Hernani Fernandes, who is considered a poor referee, including the seven-card fiasco we had vs.
Riberao as the last time we'd seen him. A significant wild card there, most of the calls have gone against us recently, and we could use a break. Morale is pretty good, I think we have a shot at a result here.

All Vizela pressure in the opening minutes, but only a couple of weak shots. I don't expect second chances against a squad this stingy though -- I switch to a defensive stance quickly. 8th minute, and we get a good counter opportunity, a run-out by Gomes but a long-range attempt that sails easily wide left. Much farther out than his most effective range. We played much better after the shift of strategy, settling into a basically even match. On the road against a top-half squad I'll take that any day. In the 20th minute, on a corner kick by Nelio, Estrela aggressively searched out a header within the box, just far enough out to convince their keeper to retreat, easily beating two of their defenders to the ball. He put it home with authority, their keeper had no chance. 0-1 we take the lead, the fourth straight match we've scored first. It's worth remembering we've won only one of the previous three, but a great start nonetheless. Our 7th goal off corner kicks, third in the league -- over a quarter of our goals so far on the year.

26th minute -- an apparently blatant no-call on a trip of Nelio just inside the penalty area, we get called for offside a few seconds later. I shake my head in disgust after a brief and extremely unproductive conversation with Mr. Fernandes. A nice move by Decio after some good passing in the 31st minute gave him a decent shot from mid-area left, but finishing isn't his strong suit. A fairly weak attempt was well wide. They are passing well, but our defense is keeping them at bay in our end. Reis in particular has stymied multiple attempted wing pushes down the near touchline. He picks up a lame yellow card just before the half though. Shots are 6-3 in their favor, one solid header chance late but it was right at Adriano and he blocked it away. Only Gomes was a disappointment.

A very nice tackle by Estrela prevented their first real threat, a run-out in the 52nd minute. His goal is still the only on-target shot we've had all match. Shortly after I pull Decio -- he gave us a decent 60 minutes in his first match back, I'm happy with that. Eight minutes later, Fernandes gets bored and hands out another lame yellow, this time to Vizela. 67th minute, and our defense cracked. A corner for Vizela, a very similar goal for one of their midfielders to the one Estrela scored on for us in the first half. Another lead lost. 1-1, and plenty of time left.

We stay defensive, and a lot of fouls ensued on both sides. 76th minute, and we get an unexpectedly good opportunity. A lobbed cross from well upfield, Santos to Gomes, who had an open header from just outside the box. He bounced it wide though. Our first shot since early in the half, and this squad doesn't surrender many opportunities like that. A dangerous run-out follows for Vizela, but Adriano just beat their striker to the ball by a step. A lob shot attempt was blocked by Carmo shortly after ... I'll be very happy to escape this with a draw at this rate. 78th minute, and a free kick wide of the area. Gomes goes up for it, and finishes by complaining loudly that he was fouled for a penalty. And gets ignored. They head it out for a corner. They save a weak header, and that's all for that push.

We spend most of the finish on the attack, but succeed only in drawing another yellow. Fairly even match, Vizela outshoots us 10-6, similar to the first meeting. I'm definitely satisfield with a draw here.

Vizela 1 : 1 Andorinha

Best 3: Estrela(7.5), Nelio(7.0), 8 players with 6.9
Worst 3: Adriano(6.6), Gomes(6.7), Dinarte(6.8)
Old 07-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #40
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Chaves(7-6-6) vs. Andorinha(6-3-10, 12th), 2.13.11
Dry, 55

The league's pre-season favorites are another of the better defensive squads, but are having a lot of trouble scoring(20 on the year). They beat us 1-0 in our first meeting. Carvalho returns to the lineup, making us 100% healthy.

Pretty even start, and they pick up a yellow card in the 5th minute. We keep control in their end for a while, and then in the 9th minute Decio puts a free kick just outside of the area in upper right corner! Here we go again. 5th match in a row with an early lead. Who wants to take the odds on us keeping it? After some pressure for them, we attack again, they mishandle a cross and Santos is the beneficiary -- but after the goal he's called for a foul on their defensemen. Very dubious call in my opinion. It's amazing how many of these are going against us lately. I thought it was a fairly clean takeaway by Joao, but the ref didn't see it that way. A minute later, Chavez evens it up on a cross and header by a trailing striker, who bounces it just by Adriano's feet. 1-1, and that disallowed goal looms bigger now. Less than 13 minutes in, and a full match worth of drama already.

19th minute -- the second of two straight corners for us, bounced around in the box and we had a few shots at it, but couldn't get anything through to goal. Just needed one right bounce to score there. A couple of off-target long-range looks in the ensuing minutes. We're playing well enough, and hopefully can keep it up long enough to get more on the board.

More drama in the 23rd minute. An apparent dive gives Chaves a free-kick just past midfield, a long cross in finds one of their strikers open on the corner of box, but he can't control it and fouls Adriano while he falls on the loose ball. Their second yellow of the match, and we really dodged one there. Nelio joined the card party with a yellow in the 31st minute, with a whole lot of nothing going on otherwhise, a couple long attempts on both sides but nothing dangerous. Two minutes later, we work a beautiful passing play, and Decio was on the scoring end for his second of the match! Goncalinho put a ball ahead of Santos, but he was wide right, about at the corner of the area. He drew two defenders, lobbed a cross into the middle, where Gomes drew all of the attention. He headed it beautifully to Decio, who was wide open about ten yards out. A first touch shot beat their keeper inside the right post. 2-1, and we are back in front! Coming into this match, he only had two on-target shots the entire year, so it's been one heck of a match for our diminutive left winger!!

Gomes, being the moron that he is on occasion, decided this was a perfect time to pick up a yellow card on a virtually pointless midfield challenge. Not our best moment -- don't kick a horse when he's down. A couple minutes later, they got a good header attempt in front, fairly close, but it was bounced wide. Two minutes later, they got another equalizer. A lost challenge by Carmo, then a cross and they blasted one from straight on, just outside the area. A rocket, and it bounced off the bottom of the crossbar, straight down, and then just over the line before we could get to it. 2-2.

This lead-losing thing is getting frustrating. Chaves keeps up persistent pressure for several minutes, and I can feel the match turning. I switch to defensive mentality -- I need to keep this from getting away. We survive the half still tied 2-2, 7-7 now in shots. A dive by one of their attackers makes it five yellow cards in the half -- things could get interesting if that keeps up. A mixed half, obviously Decio was great, the rest have been half solid and half ugly. We need a full team effort to come out of this with points.

They just waltz in, with one of their attackers beating two of our defenders by himself, and getting a good shot 21 seconds in -- Adriano goes up to snag it. He had to make an acrobatic tip a couple minutes later, turning out a header off a wide free kick. We got no attack at all going for almost ten minutes after the half ... my skills of motivation are clearly lacking today. We had a decent corner in the 60th minutes, got a couple shots blocked, and a longer attempt by Santos was just high. Chaves is getting fairly sloppy with their passing, allowing us to blunt much of their pressure at the moment. Another two minutes, and Gomes wins a long lead pass from one of their defenders. A good cross to Santos, open just inside the area ... over the bar again. Close, but off-target again. Santos picked up a yellow shortly afterward. That's six so far, three on each squad.

Beginning of the 66th minute, we'd just had a corner headed out by them, so we had an other corner from the other side. It comes to the near post, where Estrela and two of their defenders go for it. He doesn't try for a shot, but bounces it across to the other post, where Carmo volleys it in! 3-2, and that one just went under their diving keeper. Didn't get much on it, but from four yards away you don't need to.

74th minute, and a stupid foul by Nelio nearly gets him a second yellow card. I'm not interested in trying to defend a man down, and I pull him. Chaves went into desperation mode, and had a few dangerous attacks, nut no shots. We made some big plays when needed, and a number of offsides calls slowed them down as well. That was until the 90th minute, when they found their opening. One of their strikers trailed on a counter rush, and they found him just as he was about to be offside. He was wide open well into the area, and beat Adriano inside the right post to tie it up. We felt he was off-side, but this time there was no call ... it was a very close play. It counts, and less than five minutes from a win we are tied again. Gomes had a lob attempt blocked before he could get it clear of the defense a couple minutes later, and other than Estrela getting banged up in the closing seconds, there was no further drama.

A good match on both sides: we out-shoot them 13-11, and a draw is probably the most fair result. Still, it's getting really annoying losing leads like this. Frustrating that we couldn't get a single victory out of these fine efforts.

Chaves 3 : 3 Andorinha

Best 3: Decio(8.8), Carmo(7.6), Gomes(7.0)
Worst 3: Adriano(6.4), Camara(6.6), Reis/Estrela/Dinarte(6.8)

Indio, who scored their last two goals including the 90th-minute equalizer, narrowly earns man of the match over Decio. He had previously gone the last five matches scoreless. Figures. This was named the division's match of the day.

Six points on the key six-match stretch, so with ten to go we are a point and the tiebreaker in hand as well clear of the relegation zone. Long way to go but we come out healthy, in a solid position, and with good morale. Much better than I feared.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #41
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha(6-4-10, 12th) vs. Tirsense(11-4-5, 2nd), 2.20.11
Dry, 66

We were totally dominated the first meeting, losing 3-0 and getting outshot 23-5. It might have been our worst loss of the season. I started with a defensive stance, trying simply to keep the score close and give us a chance. It took them less than a minute to crack us on their first attacking push. A cross-angle blast from 25+ yards, just inside the left post. No big mistakes, just a great strike. 0-1. Going up against the stingiest squad in the league, 20 goals allowed in as many matches, that was a severe blow. After that, both teams got some decent opportunities, the difference being their finishing is much better, and they nearly put another one in in the 17th minute, just barely wide right.

We actually played a good first half overall, quite competitive. Maybe they looked a hair better than we did, but not more than that. But they got a second tally just before it was over, some patient passing on the left side, they eventually drew a couple extra defenders out of the box, crossed it in, and Carvalho misjudged the ball, leaving their attacker open less than ten yards out. Easy score, making it 0-2. 7-4 shots, in their favor, for the half.

Good opening for Gomes, created by Dinarte a few minutes into the second half, but he wasn't even close with the strike. We just look like we know the match is already over. 30 seconds later, Santos scores a lob ... but is called offside. A couple minutes later, a very strange play. We had regained possession and moving upfield, Santos was tackled but the ball squirted free in a perfect pass into a gap in their defense, couldn't have done it better if we planned it. Dinarte ran onto it, moved in on goal open, and placed a nice shot inside the far post. 1-2, just six minutes into the half. We're not quite dead, at least not yet. Sometimes it truly is better to be lucky than good.

A dangerous lead pass into our area a couple minutes later, Adriano gets to it just in time and preserves the score. Not much happened for a while, then Nelio was banged up in the 68th minute. Four minutes later, before I could get a sub in, he had a shot from straight on, just outside of the area -- he placed it well but didn't get enough on it, and their keeper dived for the save. Shortly after, Estrela picked up a yellow card.

Desperation time setting in. 79th minute -- after a long period of patient passing, Dinarte finds Gomes in the area, wide open, he goes left ... off the post and wide. At first I thought that one was in ... it should have been a tie match there. 87th minute, Dinarte again pulls the trigger, a lead pass for Santos, but just a bit too long and the keeper grabs it. Tirsense maneuvered for a long shot, straight on, in the 90th minute, but Adriano saved the high attempt easily. Another save off a header as time expires, and that's it.

Andorinha 1 : 2 Tirsense

We played well enough for a draw, another disappointment to add to the long list of them in recent weeks. A good effort though. Against a squad that had four of it's last five and is the only reason U. Madeira hasn't completely locked up the league yet, we were very close.

Best 3: Dinarte(8.0), Martins(6.9), Nelio/Goncalinho(6.8)
Worst 3: Carvalho(5.2), Gomes(5.7), Adriano(6.3)

Nelio will miss 5-6 weeks after pulling a hamstring. That means he won't be back until the last few matches of the season. I expect he'll miss 4-5 competitions. He's been playing well lately and a fan favorite, along with our best corner taker. Not a huge loss, but it'll hurt in the stretch run here.

Attendance: 139
Old 07-25-2011, 02:43 AM   #42
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Canical(3-3-15, 16th) vs. Andorinha(6-4-11, 12th), 2.27.11
Dry, 62
Odds: 1-4, 4-1, 9-1

Slightly better odds than usual, against the worst squad in the league. Worst in goals scored, goals allowed, across the board. We won 2-1 in a natch that wasn't that close, but we have yet to get an away victory so nothing's certain. Canical is the one squad that assistant Luis Maghalaes thinks has a less talented squad than we do. A five-game winless streak for both squads: meanwhile, Gomes and Santos have both gone better than 4 matches without a goal. We need to get them going again. Morale is a little above average, it's lowest point in a while. Big opportunity here to pick up points.

We get an early run by Gomes, but they converge before he can get off a shot. That was pretty much the only watchable thing that happened for a while. Just ugly football on both sides, we were clearly off our game, and they didn't have the skill to take advantadge of holes in our defense. Everything was just sloppy and off-target. Canical showed their skill in particular on a free kick a little bit outside of the area ... they just tapped a pass to a winger, who then blasted a shot from almost where the original kick was from -- it slammed into the first player's leg and out past the touchline. Just splendid, a self-inflicted turnover.

Our passing is poor enough that I switch to countering late in the first half. Not a single shot was put on target until injury time. Decio has a cross blocked, the ball ricocheted back to Carvalho, who put an angled cross well in front, and Sanchez -- starting for the injured Nelio -- got an open header there which he bounced just past their keeper. Carvalho to Sanchez is not exactly our bread and butter, but I'll take it the way this one has gone. 0-1, nearly six minutes into injury time. 6-3 shots in the first half, neither team doing much.

The second half made the first one look exciting. Other than a battery of yellow cards(Goncalinho and Gomes picked up ours), there was just nothing going on besides inept, defensive football. One play Canical argued for a penalty foul on, but they didn't get it. There was only one shot, a weak one which their keeper saved. Dinarte had to come out in the 88th minute after a midfield collision -- we can ill afford to lose him again. Ugly though it may be, it is an important win, our first away from home.

Canical 0 : 1 Andorinha

Best 3: Carvalho(7.8), Sanchez(7.5), Carmo(7.4)
Worst 3: Gomes(6.2), Adriano/Coronel(6.5)

Carvalho is named man of the match for his excellent assist and strong play throughout.

Dinarte twisted an ankle, and will miss 6-8 weeks. That means he is pretty much gone for the rest of the year, maybe we can get him back for the last match or two. Camara will replace him again, but that's a tough loss. Celio Reis bruised a thigh, and he'll miss two weeks.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:44 AM   #43
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

FEBRUARY ROUNDUP

TRAINING

Postive:

Sandro Camara(Aerobic)

Negative:

Gomes(Strength)
Filipe Martins(Aerobic)
Abadito(Strength)

The board assessment is still positive, they like the way Carmo has been playing, but say the payroll is still too high. Yeah, I know.

U. Madeira now leads the league by nine points with eight matches left -- they've all but sewn it up. Meanwhile ...

Chaves(31 pts)
Merelinense(30 pts)
Andorinha(25 pts)
-------------------
Pontassolense(22 pts)
Braganca(22 pts)
Fafe(15 pts)

It's shaping up as a three-team race, with the bottom two going down. Beating Canical puts us in control of that race for the time being. We will have a home match with Braganca in the final month that could be crucial.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #44
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha(7-4-11, 12th) vs. Merelinense(9-3-10, 11th), 3.6.11
Dry, 57

The first matchup was a competitive 4-2 loss: this time both squads are missing multiple regulars, so I'm not really sure what to expect. A win would put us just two points behind them though, an opportunity to possibly even draw another side into the relegation race. I go with the standard approach to see how we handle things at the start. They are a much more defensive squad than we are. We've actually lost our last two home matches, and haven't won here since beating Riberao nearly two months ago.

We got all the early shots, but they were very low-quality attempts. It was a defensive start of pretty good quality, we controlled possession well but both sides were able to break up any attacks before they became dangerous. The stalemate broke in the 22nd minute, and it was a play that looked like the defense would take it again at first. Sanchez brought it up the far touchline, it looked like they had him stopped, but he outmaneuvered the defender and pushed into the corner, forcing another man to come out and cover him. His cross was blocked, came to Camara who just got to it first, back to Goncalinho who threaded a very nice pass up the gut to Gomes, alone less than ten yards out. He struck a rifle of a volley into the left corner of the net, and we go up 1-0! A very nice determined play there, and excellent pass and finish at the end.

A couple minutes later, Merelinense upped the pressure, switching to an attacking style as they'd gone without a shot so far in the match. Surprisingly early for a squad with a defensive tendency to make such a double-edged move. To start the 36th minute, a very nice play by Gomes as we bring it out of our end, he draws all the attention up the middle, surrounded by four defenders and then gets it Santos open on the right. Santos moves in, has a decent angle inside the area, but misses well left.

It took 42 minutes for them to get off a shot -- making it about 120 minutes we'd gone without giving one up -- and it wasn't much of one, easily blocked by a wall of defenders. A couple minutes later, they tied it up on one of those you just can't do much of anything about. Cross-angle shot, 30 yards minimum, off the crossbar, then off the far post, then it bounced in. How come we never get any of those?

Anyway, it's 1-1, we outshoot them 6-3, control possession 61%, and have played well enough to deserve a win but right now it's tied. We're getting destroyed in headers like usual but that's the only thing we aren't up on. Decent or better ratings for everyone.

Strange play less than five minutes in. 50th minute, they were looking a little stronger at the start like they did in the first half, and then we get a good patient attack going. Goncalinho finds Gomes between two defenders just outside the area, but he waits instead of attacking. As I'm screaming at him to shoot the darn thing, they converge ... and he loops around them to the right. One of them gets carried past by his inertia, the other slides to tackle the ball and misses completely. Meanwhile, Gomes calmly steps into a cross-angle shot, well placed inside the left post with clearance both ways. 2-1, his second of the game and we are back in front! Maybe he knew what he was doing there, maybe he just got dumb lucky, I don't know.

A minute later, one of those ARGH moments. We attack again, a cross into the edge of the area, and both Santos and Gomes had a shot at it but instead turn and watch it as it goes by. They change to a 5-3-2 ... do they know they are behind? A couple minutes later, a frustration foul at midfield earns them a nice shiny new yellow card. 61st minute, a cross by Sanchez is to close to the goal, they grab it ... but drop it, and are lucky to clear. That was almost a fantastic gift there.

65th minute, a volley cross by Gomes from the corner to Sanchez in front ... just a little too close to the goal, or he would have been in great position to score. More than a missed opportunity, and Gomes remained down on the grass. That we don't need. It looks pretty serious. Julio Coronel will come on, along with Paulinho. The latter made an immediate impact. A short cross right in front, they had one defender there with our two strikers bracketing him. It was a little deep, their defender got there and smacked it ... right into Santos leg, and it ricocheted between himself and the keeper, and inside the left post. I don't know how he did it.

Santos scored, completely on accident, and it's 3-1! He needed a goal badly. That really should put this away the way we are dominating, we've just lived in the offensive end for about 20 minutes now.

76th minute -- their keeper fumbles it again, this time off a free kick, but manages to cover it. It's not often I say a squad is lucky to only give us three goals, but twice in one match? He needs some glue on those gloves or something ... Three minutes later, a nice maneuver from Santos to Coronel to Camara gets us a good shot, but he didn't put quite enough on it, about 15 yards out but a slow roller gave just enough time for a diving stop. A couple nice defensive plays by Carmo, you can really see a big difference between him and Ze Pedro out there, in the last fifteen minutes to stop attacks from getting anywhere.

We add insult to injury in the 84th minute. Since signing him, I've learned one obvious thing about Brazilian Julio Coronel. He is fast. Fastest guy on our team, faster than most in the league. But the rest of his game ... not sure about it. He showed us something with a 20-yards-plus strike, a floater, but well-placed in the upper left corner of the net. His first goal for us. 4-1 now, and you can stick a fork in the visitors. Our longest goal of the season. Long-term, I may have to think about trying him and Gomes together, with Santos the odd man out.

We out-shoot them 10-3, and generally hand them a solid buttkicking. Best performance of the season for us to date, and while it isn't over yet, I'd be very surprised to see us fall into the relegation zone again now. We win back-to-back matches for just the second time this season.

Andorinha 4 : 1 Merelinense

Best 3: Gomes(8.8), Santos(8.6), Goncalinho(8.3)
Worst 3: Adriano/Decio/Sanchez/Paulinho(6.9)

First time we've had two, nevermind three, register an 8 or better. It was a weird day. U. Madeira lost at home, Pontassolense thrashed AD Oliveirense 4-1, Braganca beats Lousada on the road, Tirsense got blanked 3-0 by Chaves, strange upsets all over the match sheet. We ended up not gaining any ground on the key competitors below us.

Attendance: 166

Our performance was described as 'highly polished', and the fans were 'jubilant' over our 'dangerous' attack. Those are not words usually associated with this club, to put it mildly.

In other news, it does not appear that Gomes will need to miss any time, which was a great relief.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #45
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

** I have returned from an adventure in moving, and am going to try to revive this. This end to this season proved to be quite interesting.

AD Oliveirense(12-3-8, 4th) vs. Andorinha(8-4-11, 12th), 3.13.11
Dry, 51
Odds: 1-3, 3-1, 7-1

We won the first meeting 1-0, but only by managing to frustrate their attacks effectively: they dominated possession and I'd expect them to do the same here. We'll go with a countering strategy, and may switch to full defensive if it goes poorly. DR Carlos Reis returns to the lineup, still missing both midfielders though.

Gomes' brilliant play of late continues. He set up Santos in the 7th minute, to no avail as they made a late intervention. A couple minutes later though, Camara(who has also really improved as the makeshift backup MC) beat his man, creating space to find Gomes alone in the area, virtually on the penalty spot. Normally he would just go for the shot, but Gomes made a nice dribble to the right, putting the keeper way out of position, and leaving the net virtually open. I've never seen him do that before, an intelligent, patient play for an easy early goal, 0-1 in the ninth.

They had a chance in the 13th minute, their winger got the ball in the left of the area alone, but it would have been a sharp-angle shot and he tried to bring it into the middle, giving Estrela a chance to recover. The resulting corner didn't get them much. They continued with patient pressure, controlling it more often than not with their midfield, and equalized in the 24th minute when they found a hole to turn into. It was still another bizarre shot, off the post and then off Adriano and in. If Adriano hadn't been there, it wouldn't have gone in the net. 1-1 it is. We dodged an absolute bullet in the 31st minute, when both Carmo and Estrela had a bead on an interception, neither took it(I assume they each thought the other had it), leaving their striker in front with a great look. He pushed it wide left, thankfully. That should have been a goal.

Boy, if Camara had a leg and a mind to shoot it he could be very dangerous in this game. He's penetrating straight up the middle almost at will, but is really just a passer when he gets in range. End of the 35th minute, on a centering pass, Santos comes back into the play and gets called for a tripping penalty. It's furiously protested, but for no effect. Looked like just a stupid play by Joao to me. They bury the kick, and it's 2-1, we're in trouble here I think. That is confirmed in the 41st, when a cross bounces around before getting pushed just inside the right post.

3-1, and I've had enough. Defensive stance on, I just don't want to get humiliated here. Fat lot of good that idea does. Again they score before the half, another wide-open shot with a pin-point finish. This has been the worst last ten minutes of the season, and it's not that we are doing anything that horrible other than the penalty. They are just playing brilliantly right now, and there's nothing we can do to stop them. Everything is going their way.

Camara did finally let loose with a long one in the 56th minute of a thankfully quieter second half, on target but a floater and the keeper was able to leap and grab it. AD seemed content to blast from long range, as they were in the first match. That was fine with me. A couple minutes later, a free kick by Decio had a chance, but it was a fair bit high. It would be nice to get one back and have something to build on here. I put Coronel in before too much longer -- Santos has just continued to stink it up, and I wouldn't mind getting more of a look at our speedster. Literally right after I make that choice, Gomes goes down for the second straight match. Splendid. Pires and Coronel up front -- both athletic but weak technically and inexperienced.

Just to add insult to injury, they poke another one through in the 85th minute. Another long-range shot, just under the bar. Carmo was playing too deep on that one and got beat easily, I'm not sure why. Two minutes later, we got one the board due to opportunism and sheer stupidity. Decio crosses ... all the way through the box, Coronel gets it and fights off two defenders before it's taken away. We get to the loose ball and reset, Sanchez crosses from the other side ... same thing happens. It's far enough out to make the keeper hesitate, Decio gets their first, about at the corner of the box, and puts the angled shot between the keeper and the near post. Good for him. We now only need three more goals in about three minutes plus bonus time to tie it up.

AD Oliveirense 5 : 2 Andorinha

Well we good and truly got ourselves smacked in this one. 17-7 in shots, competitive stats otherwhise, but they got two long-range goals and a penalty, just made some great plays on the attack and controlled the midfield when they needed to. The five goals surrendered is a new, unwanted record for my tenure.

Best 3: Decio(7.3), Gomes(7.2), Sanchez(6.9)
Worst 3: Santos(4.7), Carvalho/Carmo(5.6)

There were a number of players who got a rather large piece of my empty mind. As for Santos, I pretended he wasn't even there.

Most importantly, Gomes suffered a broken toe, which means he's done for the year. Three months, which is twice what we have left. All of a sudden relegation is a real possibility again. Obviously we'll have to go with Coronel up front. Gomes has nine league goals this year, Santos is second with seven and there's no one close behind that. Although it does surprise me that our #2 option is now ... Decio. With five. Ouch. In addition, Gomes also been one of the best passers on a team that doesn't have many. He's really our best playmaker and finisher at the striker position, and I expect our offense will struggle significantly in comparison over the close of the year.

Reis has chosen this time to whine about his contract, which is just fabulous. He still has over a year left, and we aren't exactly overflowing with cash. He's normally one of the top morale guys, but he wants way more than I can pay him -- and more than he's worth, also. This is not a problem we need right now.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #46
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha(8-4-12, 12th) vs. Camacha(12-5-7, 3rd), 3.20.11
Dry, 59

We get our last little break to get healthy after this match. Camacha beat us 3-0 the first time around. They didn't really dominate the match though. With three attacking starters hurt, and one of the top goalscorers in the league visiting in the form of Luis Miguel, I'm going with a countering strategy again. They go all out with a 4-2-3-1, clearly intending to attack attack attack.

We started well, got a few corners and decent attacking runs early, but no shots. In the 22nd minute, already our sixth corner of the day, we got our first real chance. Camara bumped it at the near post, it bounced off a defenders leg and back to him for a decent attempt, which he hit right at the keeper. Carmo was right in front but the rebound was by him before he could react, and they cleared it. 35th minute, and he had another chance. A cross was headed by their defender as a rainbow sitter, Camara got to it and was open just inside the area, but couldn't get enough on it and their keeper saved again. Those kind of plays are one place where we really miss Dinarte. A minute later, and Coronel showed off his speed, outrunning their defense to get to a long ball by Sanchez, but he put it wide of the goal.

A corner in the 39th minute made my swallow hard for a second, Luis Miguel's first shot at doing anything, he and Adriano went up for it right in front, but Adriano was able to punch it out and they fired a long ball that was well over. Still no shots for them within the area code of the goal.
Strange first-half numbers. We outshoot them 7-5, and get the only two that are on-target, yet they dominate possession with 62%, a number that was rising towards the end of the half. Their patient, short passing game has gotten them nothing but inept, 25-yard moonballs. Only Goncalinho had a poor first 45 minutes. I'll take another half like this one if I can get it. A couple more solid opportunities, and hopefully we'll finish one or get a lucky bounce somewhere.

A loose ball in our box right away looked like it could be trouble, with four men around it -- two for each side. It ended with Luis Miguel tripping Estrela. He's not the most talented guy in the world, but he's always in the middle of the action, make it difficult for the opposition's attackers. A pretty weak one from outside the area in the 50th minute was Luis Miguel's first crack at it, easily handled for Adriano's first save. Our defense does look a bit more shaky though.

Another near-chance in the 59th minute, after we'd been on the attack for several minutes solid. A free kick from wide, and Carmo maneuvered open, and I mean totally open, at the near post, but he misjudged it and wasn't quite close enough to get to it. A few minutes later, they pick up a yellow for tripping Coronel just outside of the area, close enough that I thought at first it might be a penalty. It gets deflected by the wall, heads toward the corner of the goal ... wide for a corner. A key intervention by Carmo in the 70th minute, he and one of their attackers arrived at the same time with no-one behind him.

Over the next several minutes, we starting winning all the hustle plays, they started racking up fouls, and I sensed we still had a real shot to come away with a win as the pressure on them to crack our defense mounted. They picked up their third yellow in the 74th minute, but we were still clean. At about the 77-minute mark or so, they really start pressing everything in to Miguel, trying to get him any kind of ball to take a shot with. He gets one off, but Estrela was right in front of him and it's blocked back, we make plays on the others. 82nd minute, they get a corner, shallow for the far post, everybody goes up for it, and Adriano comes down with it. Phew.

End of the 84th minute, they find Luis Miguel in past our defense, he pokes it easily past inside the far post ... but he's offside. These guys have absolutely no respect for my blood pressure. More danger in the 86th. A silly foul by Reis gives them a free kick from the near side -- off Carmo for a corner. Camara clears it, and a lazy lobbed shot is well wide from 30 yards or so. 89th minute, a centering pass from Paulinho, Santos and two defensemen converge in front, he stumbles and one of them falls to the ground hurt -- and no call!?!? Something happened there, hard for me to believe there was no foul. That takes us to bonus time. Four minutes are awarded. An eternity, we've been visibly tired for 15 minutes.

No further drama.

Andorinha 0 : 0 Camacha

Best 3: Carmo(7.3), Reis(7.2), 6 with 6.9
Worst 3: Adriano/Coronel(6.7), Camara/Santos(6.8)

Attendance: 143

Ricardo Carmo earned his first man of the match honor here. The first scoreless draw I've ever had. In this case, I'll take it.

Meanwhile, Canical have now been officially relegated. One down, three to go.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #47
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

MARCH ROUNDUP

Training:

Positive -- Nelio(Tactics)
Negative -- Decio(Aerobic), Pires(Aerobic), Abadito(Aerobic)

The board remains very pleased.

Positive: 4-1 win over Merelinense
Negative: payroll is too high

Finances: Lost $18K

STANDINGS UPDATE

U. Madeira has a 10-point lead with five matches left. They could clinch the playoff spot at any time.

Merelinense(33 pts)
Andorinha(29 pts)
-------------------
Braganca(28 pts)
Pontassolense(25 pts)

Braganca has been on a tear of late. Once a virtual lock for relegation, they have won four of their last five matches, losing only to U. Madeira in that stretch, and are now our chief obstacle.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #48
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Maritimo B(11-5-9, 9th) vs. Andorinha(8-5-12, 12th), 4.2.11
Dry, 64

We took a tough 3-2 victory in the first meeting, which was an even, hard-fought match. This time around, both squads are fairly banged up, though we do get Nelio back for this. Standard approach to start. They come out in a 4-1-2-2-1. The striker who scored both goals for them last time, Sami, is with the Guinea-Bissau national team. What a shame.
We do pretty well to start off, get a couple of poor shots, then in the 10th minute they get a free kick wide of the area, and a man wide open at the far corner of the box. His volley is way over the bar, but we just caught a break there. 14th minute, we almost get a gift. A pass back to their keeper, Santos and the ball arrive at the same time, nobody anywhere close. Santos is called for a foul, but that was inches away from a wide open net. A few minutes later we get a shot by Coronel in front, but too much traffic and it's blocked.

In the 23rd minute, a nice move by Camara gets by his man, he puts a lead pass through the defense and into the area. It looked a bit too far, and it would have been for our other players, but Coronel got there just before there keeper and poked it by, just a shade inside the near post. 0-1, his second goal in three matches! His speed was the only thing that got him to that ball. Dangerous corner for them a few minutes later, but our defense formed a good enough wall to block away any shot attempts.
In the 35th minute, they evened it up on a corner-kick, far-post header that wasn't struck all that well but placed just under the bar. 1-1 at the half, we've outshot them 10-4 and been the better squad across the board, even in headers which we almost never take. A very winnable match here, but we need to convert a little better.

A run for Coronel right away in the second half, he just fades right and pulls the ball back out -- poor decision there. Would have been a bit of an angled shot, but he had a good opportunity ahead of the defense. An open shot for them from 20 yards out a few minutes later, but it curls wide left. Shortly after that, 50th minute, they hit a crazy angled shot just into the upper left corner. I was sure it was over when they hit it. There was a hole about the size of a tea cup for that shot to fit into. 2-1, despite the fact that we've been in clear control of the match in most ways. Five minutes later, a nice cross by Santos, Decio had a header chance from the penalty spot, but it didn't make their keeper move enough to make the save. That bouncer needed to go a lot closer to the posts in order to score.

We get another look in the 63rd. Camara penetrates straight up the middle, both their central defensemen converge on him. He could have gone with either striker, but he pokes it right to Santos, one on one with the keeper, and he puts it wide right. That's our fourth clear-cut chance of the match, gentlemen. One goal. Get it together please. Three minutes later, Coronel gets ahead of the field, is cut off and crosses ... sliding attempt by Goncalinho bounces off their defenders but can't get through them. Then they get a similar strike to their last goal, but it goes over this time.

78th minute -- A Maritimo B midfielder goes down, and they've used all their subs. They switch to a 4-4-1. Not a lot of time left, but with a man advantadge hopefully we can get another couple of cracks. Santos gets a shot from the edge of the area in the 85th, but puts it over. A surpringly sharp volley from Decio in the 87th from the edge of the area, very tough-angle shot, but their keeper just gets over to block it away.
We literally hand then the insult to finish off the match, literally seconds away from the end in bonus time, backing off their striker and then his centering pass leaves them open in the middle, a weak shot deflects off Carvalho and in.

Maritimo B 3 : 1 Andorinha

Just truly disgusting. We should have won this.

Best 3: Coronel(7.2), Camara(6.9), Nelio/Goncalinho/Decio(6.7)
Worst 3: Reis(5.8), Estrela(5.9), 6.1(Carvalho/Adriano)

With this, we drop into the relegation zone for the first time in months, as Braganca picks up a home draw vs. Pontassolense:

Merelinense(34 pts)
Braganca(29 pts)
-------------------
Andorinha(29 pts)
Pontassolense(26 pts)

Four matches left. And guess who's visiting next?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #49
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Andorinha(8-5-13, 13th) vs. Braganca(9-2-15, 12th), 4.10.11
Dry, 82

We lost the first match 4-1. This one has a lot more riding on it. The winner will have a big leg up with one three matches left: a draw would leave them with the edge due to the tiebreaker. It's very nearly a must-win. We get Dinarte back, so we're as healthy as we are going to get, missing only Gomes. Our season basically comes down to this. Morale is merely average, it's lowest ebb in quite some time, while Braganca are surging. If we don't win, I don't see us staying up.

We push right away, getting a couple dangerous attacks in the opening minutes, then a third-minute corner that Estrela had a very good shot at a header, but he put it well over the goal. Can't afford to miss chances like that very often today. A minute later, a lovely pass ahead from Santos to Coronel, he evades a defender, straight on shot from the edge of the area, but it's right into the keeper and blocked away. Ahem. Still not quite five minutes in, we rush back at them, cross from Nelio is behind Coronel and Santos, who take the defense with them ... first-time volley from Decio just inside the area is punched inside the right post, no chance for the keeper! 1-0 right away, that's more like it!

Strange play in the ninth minute, scrum on their end for the ball, two of our players hit the dirt and one of theirs in a 20-second time frame, no whistles. Looks like the ref is definitely taking a 'let em play' approach. They are just mugging Santos and getting away with it. Carmo nearly picks up a yellow in the 13th minute -- this is an incredibly physical match early. Both squads know how important it is.

Five fouls in the first 15 minutes. The last one gives us a free kick, midway in their area, Decio sends it far post, Estrela gets there with a header, off the crossbar and in! He makes up big-time there for missing one earlier, a fraction of an inch higher and that ball bounces, probably harmlessly, away from the goal. 2-0, and Braganca is in a world of trouble.
21st -- they get a very dangerous corner, headed toward goal from just outside the box, Reis and one of their attackers go up no more than two yards away for it, right in front, but Reis makes the play and clears it. We come back on the counter, Santos finds Coronel, who takes three defenders with him dishes to Nelio on the right, good open attempt, cross-angle from just inside the area, but it skims off the top of the bar and out of play. Nice header by Dinarte leads Santos right back at them, but he does a horrid job of controlling it, pushes it way too far in front, and their keeper grabs it again. We've got chances all over the place, even botching half of them.

29th minute, Santos wheels on his man and is tripped just as he enters the area. I thought for sure that was a penalty. They call it a free-kick, the ball is almost touching the line when they set it up. As it is, a yellow for Braganca, which will result in a suspension next game. 31st minute, Dinarte dribbles from midfield through three of their men, missing a bit left on a shot from the top of the circle. A minute later, they clear out a series of dangerous crosses, but Santos beats his man again and this time badly, puts a little more on it and buries it inside the left post. 3-0, and I can see why this is one of the worst defensive squads in the league. Their holes are on full display today.

39th, they put a dangerous lead pass, defended pretty well, into the area for their top striker, but Adriano gets there first. Still no shots on target for Braganca. Goncalinho went down at the end of the half and had to come out. Camara comes on, and he's played well lately, but I'd like to not have any more significant injuries this year. No ratings below a 6.9 for the first half, five at 7.0 or better. Only a complete collapse will prevent victory here.

A couple minutes into the second half, they get a header in the area in front, but Estrela was there and he blocks it back. An good opening on the rebound from just outside the area, but it's well wide. We come right back, Santos draws the defense and pitches left to Coronel, who takes too much time and the keeper eventually blocks his shot away. A couple minutes later, another good header attempt for Estrela, but he bounces almost right to the keeper. The other side of the goal was open. Another counter rush gives Coronel an opening as he beats their man like a rented turnstile, moves in, and goes high ... but it's tipped over the bar.
59th minute, we add another on a corner kick. Carmo goes for it at the near post, a defender comes off the line for a diving header attempt but Carmo gets their first, poking it past for the score. 4-0. They strike back instantly though, getting free for a lazy shot from just outside the area. It goes inside the left post, but there wasn't that much on it -- I really think Adriano should have gotten that one. 4-1, right at the end of the 60th.
Not much happened the rest of the way, other than Santos picking up an utterly stupid yellow at midfield in the 87th minute. It ended 13-8 in shots, but it wasn't nearly that close. Our chances were much higher quality than theirs.

Andorinha 4 : 1 Braganca

Best 3: Decio(8.8), Estrela(8.2), Nelio(8.1)
Worst 3: Camara(6.6), Sanchez(6.7), Adriano(6.8)

Attendance: 144

After splitting two matches by identical scores, I have no idea who will hold the tiebreaker if it comes to that. Decio earns man of the match honors, recording a goal and an assist.

STANDINGS

Andorinha(32 pts)
-----------------
Pontassolense(29 pts)
Braganca(29 pts)

We certainly control our own destiny now, but it's not over yet. Huge victory here. A second squad, Fafe, clinches relegation. Two down. They were among the pre-season promotion favorites, so this has been just a disastrous season for them.

Reis is fed up with the contract situation and requesting a transfer. We don't have any other decent right fullback, but may be able to train Abadito or Ze Pedro to play it. In any case, I'm sick of his attitude and I grant the request. We'll see what comes of it.

Then, three days later, he asks that the transfer request be revoked. What the ...

No long-term effects from Goncalinho's injury, thank goodness.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #50
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Fafe(5-5-17, 15th) vs. Andorinha(9-5-13, 12th), 4.17.11
Dry, 62

Long odds against again. Go figure.

We beat Fafe 2-1 in a match that wasn't that close the first time, outshooting them 15-2. The only shot on target they managed was the goal -- they don't like shooting from long range. Staff eval is that we are now actually a more talented team than they are. They've got the strength and size but we've got more speed and skill -- being small hasn't troubled us before. This is by far our best opportunity for points among the remaining contests.

They come out in a rare and strange 3-5-2 formation. Don't laugh -- they should have scored twice in the opening minute. Two defensemen went with one of their wingers for no apparent reason, and Carmo got caught two far upfield, so their striker was wide open behind him. Up the middle, but Adriano blocked the shot. The rebound came to one of their midfielders just outside the area, while he was still on the ground at the penalty spot. He blasted it -- but his own striker deflected it away with his hip. I absolutely cannot believe they didn't score on us there. We eventually clear it out, but ... just wow. Dunno what else to say about that. That's as many shots in 40 seconds as they got in 90 minutes against us the first time.

Five minutes in, a cross gets bounced and Coronel runs on it for a sharp-angle shot ... which ended up being the worst shot I've ever seen. It almost landed on the corner cone. Seriously? For the most part we look bored in the attacking third, kind of like in the Canical match. Decio picked up an early yellow in the 8th minute, and I'm already getting annoyed. Season isn't over yet, fellas. We can still get sent down.
We spend a lot of time in their end, and then have another complete breakdown to start the 19th minute. Absolutely freaking wide open is their top striker in the middle again, and this time converts in the left side of the net. 1-0. Estrela and Carmo are doing an absolutely horrid job in the middle of our defense at marking the opposing attackers.

Fafe picked up a couple of yellow cards, but other than that the rest of the half was extremely boring. We're up a bit in possession, passing, etc. but are not able to generate any chances when we have it. We don't seem to know what to do about their 5-wide midfield on either end. They are up 4-3 in shots, 2-0 in on-target attempts.

After more of the same, we get our first real chance in the 58th minute. Header by Estrela is sent ahead of the field, and Coronel chases it down. Pretty good shot from just inside the area, but it's just barely deflected wide off their keeper's leg. Close. Another yellow for Fare in the 71st minute, and I take Dinarte out. We're getting nothing going, and starting to run out of time. An open shot a couple minutes later, but it's Decio from outside the area, and it's weak one right at the keeper. Might as well have been a pass.

79th, and we get a corner, our sixth of the game. Estrela battled for it at the far post, but lost and they clear it. A couple minutes later, another corner, Estrela gets to it and heads a sharp bouncer, but their defender clears it off the line. If he had been less alert, that was a goal. Fafe is called for another yellow shortly after, their fourth. We've finally started playing decent the last ten minutes or so, but it looks like it'll be too late. 84th minute ... they get a header just outside the box, a floater which bounces off the crossbar and just out, and we manage to clear it. Goncalinho joins the yellow-card-party in the 87th. Two minutes later, Adriano hurts himself on a routine retrieval, but he stays on.

Fafe 1 : 0 Andorinha

We were better, but had too many holes early and they took advantadge of one of them. Only a couple good chances for us, and they just barely made the play both times. If we remembered that a match is 90 minutes, not 20 or so, we probably would have come out with at least a point.

Best 3: Carvalho/Decio(7.0), Dinarte/Estrela(6.8)
Worst 3: Santos(5.9), Coronel(6.0), Camara(6.5)

STANDINGS

Andorinha(32 pts)
-----------------
Braganca(32 pts)
Pontassolense(30 pts)

Apparently we do hold the tiebreaker vs. Braganca, but right now that's all we hold. A tough last couple of matches to end the season, and it's going right down to the wire here. U. Madeira have now clinched the title. No ill effects for Adriano.