Old 09-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #151
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Twitter
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #152
DanGarion
Coordinator

Vikings Fans donate $84k and counting in recognition of sportsmanship of injured player who stayed on field for final play after losing the game

Thomas Morstead (the injured player mentioned)'s charity, What you give will grow, has committed to passing on all donations collected from this campaign to The Minnesota Children's Hospital.

Since the account has reached over 100K Morstead will be flying to Minnesota to personally deliver the check.

relevant article
direct link to donate to Minnesota Children's through WYGWG

Thomas Morstead (#6) is the punter for the New Orleans Saints (the team the Vikings won against last Sunday - where he suffered a painful injury to the ribs).
This makes everyone's efforts that much more special. Vikings fans are donating to a rivals team's punter's charity (which they didn't have to) and then he turns around and gives the money right back to a local Minnesota Children's Hospital (which he didn't have to do).
Class acts all around!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #153
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice story, kudos to the Japanese players.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/footb...rnd/index.html
Quote:
Even after they were booted out of the World Cup, the Japanese national football team gave us a lesson in grace.

Following their heartbreaking loss to Belgium on Monday, the players left behind a note that said "спасибо" (Russian for "thank you") in their locker room.

Oh, and they cleaned it up.

The good sportsmanship is another example of how Japan -- players and fans -- have earned the admiration of everyone at the games in Russia.

Where fans of other teams hit the news for doing things like giving Nazi salutes, Japan's revelers made headlines in late June for sticking around after a victory to clean up the stadium.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:50 PM   #154
Edward64
Head Coach

Cool thing LeBron is doing.

The additional thing that comes to mind is maybe also offer an early dinner along with breakfast and lunch.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...-risk-children
Quote:
LeBron James didn't just open an elementary school for at-risk children on Monday. He's setting these kids up for life and saving lives. The kids who complete the I Promise School program get free tuition at the University of Akron. He's also set up a program for the parents of the students to complete their high school education. There's plenty more according to CNN's Don Lemon:

- Tuition is free

- Uniforms are free

- Transportation is free for every student who lives more than two miles away

- Every student gets breakfast, lunch and snacks

- Food pantry for families

- Every student gets a free bicycle and helmet
Old 07-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #155
RainMaker
General Manager

This was an interesting listen if you are interested in donations to education. Talks about how so much money is donated to big, wealthy schools like Harvard but how little is donated to poor schools that would do so much more with it. Story is about a guy who donated $100 million to a small university in New Jersey which basically made them a good engineering school.

http://revisionisthistory.com/episod...undred-million

Last edited by RainMaker : 07-31-2018 at 01:31 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #156
BYU 14
Coordinator

A very kind gesture that wouldn't even have been publicized if not for the young mans family. Donovan Mitchell is a good dude! And this will make him more of a fan favorite than he already was in Utah.

How Donovan Mitchell generously aided a Jazz fan in need
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:34 PM   #157
miami_fan
Coordinator

World Series: Red Sox's Mookie Betts fed homeless after Game 2

Mookie Betts, I salute you sir!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #158
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Texans star DeAndre Hopkins dedicated game check to Jazmine Barnes | abc13.com

Glad he helped but it is still a tragic story.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #159
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

College not pro but I think it fits.

Nearly 4 years ago Southern University player Devon Gales suffered a catastrophic spinal injury in a special teams collision with the UGA kicker. An outpouring of support came from across the Georgia fanbase, both emotionally and financially, throughout his extensive treatment at Atlanta's Sheppard Spinal Center.

Last year the family broke ground on a house designed with his needs in mind in a rural suburb of Athens. And today he was introduced as the newest member of the coaching staff at another suburban HS (a top end program at that).

Just very cool.

VIDEO: Devon Gales to assist Jefferson football team - Sports - Athens Banner-Herald - Athens, GA
Old 04-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #160
digamma
Torchbearer

Here’s to Dwyane Wade.

Sports Illustrated on Twitter: "It is REAL dusty in here

https://t.co/lsPnru8304"
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #161
rjolley
College Starter

Kudos to Michael Jordan: Emotional Michael Jordan unveils first of two medical clinics in Charlotte
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:12 PM   #162
miami_fan
Coordinator

Athletes are doing good things during the pandemic

Well done Joel

Joel Embiid working with 76ers ownership to get antibody tests for health care workers
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #163
miami_fan
Coordinator

Inmate backed by WNBA star Maya Moore released from Missouri prison

I don't know if anyone has kept up with this case. Talk about sacrifice.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #164
miami_fan
Coordinator

I meant to post about this earlier this week. 22 years old and taking on child hunger. Full props to him.

Marcus Rashford announces alliance with food industry to tackle child food poverty | UK News | Sky News
Old 09-22-2020, 06:50 AM   #165
Edward64
Head Coach

I like to think I would do the same thing. Kudos to him.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/sports/20...l-lon-orig.cnn
Quote:
Spanish triathlete Diego Mentrida showed the ultimate sportsmanship over the weekend when he gave up a podium finish to his competitor, who went the wrong way on the course mistakenly.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:16 PM   #166
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I like to think I would do the same thing. Kudos to him.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/sports/20...l-lon-orig.cnn

I disagree. Part of the race is following the course. If he missed a corner that no-one else missed, that’s on him.

F1 & Indy car drivers don’t wait on rivals if they miss a corner - same thing to me.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:49 AM   #167
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I meant to post about this earlier this week. 22 years old and taking on child hunger. Full props to him.

Marcus Rashford announces alliance with food industry to tackle child food poverty | UK News | Sky News

One more time for Marcus Rashford MBE.

sign-inBBC Account
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Reel
  • Worklife
  • Travel
  • Future
  • Culture
  • Menu
  • BBC News

Marcus Rashford welcomes school holiday support climbdown

By Hannah Richardson
    Education and social affairs reporter

Published
    Old 11-14-2020, 05:22 PM   #168
    AlexB
    Pro Starter

AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #169
    JonInMiddleGA
    Hall Of Famer

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
    College not pro but I think it fits.

Nearly 4 years ago Southern University player Devon Gales suffered a catastrophic spinal injury in a special teams collision with the UGA kicker. An outpouring of support came from across the Georgia fanbase, both emotionally and financially, throughout his extensive treatment at Atlanta's Sheppard Spinal Center.

Last year the family broke ground on a house designed with his needs in mind in a rural suburb of Athens. And today he was introduced as the newest member of the coaching staff at another suburban HS (a top end program at that).

Just very cool.

VIDEO: Devon Gales to assist Jefferson football team - Sports - Athens Banner-Herald - Athens, GA

Congrats to Coach Devon Gales for being unanimously voted Region 8-AAAA Coach of the Year by his fellow region counterparts!!

https://twitter.com/JeffersonFootba/...hTTJvA3aOt9baQ

For those unfamiliar with the region, it includes two of the state's top 5 ranked team in the classification (Jefferson is #2) and among those Gales has worked with closely is 4* ATH Malaki Starks, a 2022 prospect that has Alabama, Clemson, and Georgia as his current top three.
    Old 12-17-2020, 08:55 PM   #170
    Thomkal
    Head Coach

awesome
    Old 05-08-2021, 10:56 PM   #171
    miami_fan
    Coordinator

Former NFL defensive end Brandon Bair saves man after fiery train crash
    Old 07-28-2021, 08:50 PM   #172
    miami_fan
    Coordinator

Well done Kyrie!

Nets news: Kyrie Irving helped build solar water center in Pakistan
    Old 09-20-2021, 07:52 PM   #173
    PilotMan
    Head Coach

Yesterday at the Reds/Dodgers game, Reds rookie TJ Friedl hit a homer, for his first career hit. Mookie Betts was playing RF for LA, got the fans attention and convinced the fan to toss the ball down to him so they could get it to Friedl. The next inning Betts brought out a signed bat and passed it up to the fan who caught the ball.

Mookie Betts retrieves Reds rookie TJ Friedl's first career homer

Like Steam?
    Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-24-2021, 06:09 PM   #174
    Lathum
    Favored Bitch #1

got very dusty reading this.

New England Patriots lineman Justin Herron's selfless act that stopped an attack
    Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2022, 09:51 PM   #175
    miami_fan
    Coordinator

Bo knows how to be a good person.

Bo Jackson helped pay for funerals of 19 children and 2 teachers killed in school massacre at Uvalde, Texas
    Old 07-21-2022, 09:58 PM   #176
    Edward64
    Head Coach

What could've been if his career wasn't cut short.
    Old 12-30-2022, 11:36 AM   #177
    miami_fan
    Coordinator

Bucs QB Blaine Gabbert helps rescue helicopter crash victims
    Old 06-28-2023, 10:25 AM   #178
    Edward64
    Head Coach

I think this borderline qualifies ... nice story

Jolien Boumkwo: Belgian shot putter competes in 100-meter hurdles after injuries to teammates | CNN
    Quote:
    Sometimes it really is the taking part that counts.

Just ask Belgian shot put thrower Jolien Boumkwo, who competed in the 100-meter hurdles at the European Athletics Team Championships on Saturday after her teammates had to withdraw through injury.

After placing seventh in the shot put on Friday, Boumkwo turned her attention to the hurdles at the last minute and duly finished in a time of 32.81 seconds – 19 seconds behind the seventh-placed athlete.

Footage of Boumkwo carefully stepping over each hurdle while the other athletes race away ahead of her has since gone viral on social media. She smiled and laughed throughout before being congratulated by other competitors at the finish line.
    And the good things part ...

Quote:
    Just having an athlete take part in the event earned Belgium two points and saved the team from disqualification, but Boumkwo’s efforts weren’t enough to save her country from being relegated to the second division at the meet in Poland, finishing 14th out of 16 countries with 250 points.