Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

Middle East - what's next

Its a mess. Its spiraling out of control, diplomacy is moot and I have no idea how it will turn out.

Without getting into debates of who is right/wrong (please, not interested in rehashing the old arguments) etc. ...

Anyone care to predict what will be the state of the region in

1 month
3 months
12 months

Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

the region is and always has been a mess.

All that'll happen in the next 30-365 is that it goes from mess to clusterfuck. Basically, the same only more so.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

i'm thinking the US needs to get off oil
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
Galaxy
Coordinator

World War III. And not just the Middle East.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:30 PM   #5
Edward64
Head Coach

Greyroofoo. I don't think this current situation has anything to do with oil.

Galaxy. Hope you are wrong, but am pretty pessimistic right now. Hopefully without nukes or chemical weapons.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-12-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:37 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Barring something unforeseen:

1 month -- about the same as today
3 months -- about the same as today
12 months -- about the same as today

And no, I'm not being flippant or trying to be funny, that's actually my prediction. Plus or minus a little, essentially the same as it's been for as long as most of us have been alive.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:39 PM   #7
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Galaxy: How exactly would that come about? This is and will be just a regional conflict. And nothing will get accomplished in the next few months. Eventually Isreal will pull back and there will be a period of relative peace and then it will all start over again.

Until the Palestinians get a leader that's courageous enough to wage peace nothing will change. The sad part is that its the Palestinian people who suffer the most from the status quo, but they're willing to believe its all Israel's fault.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:42 PM   #8
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
Galaxy: How exactly would that come about? This is and will be just a regional conflict. And nothing will get accomplished in the next few months. Eventually Isreal will pull back and there will be a period of relative peace and then it will all start over again.

Until the Palestinians get a leader that's courageous enough to wage peace nothing will change. The sad part is that its the Palestinian people who suffer the most from the status quo, but they're willing to believe its all Israel's fault.

Not just the Middle East, but look at Asia (India-North Korea-China-Japan-Taiwan/Hong Kong) as well.

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-12-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:52 PM   #9
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

N. Korea is nothing more than a nuisance. I don't believe they'll cause any real harm unless they are attacked. Even then the war will be over quickly as I think they are a paper tiger with poorly motivated troops and failing equipment. S. Korea would take a beating, but it wouldn't come close to replaying 1950.

The other countries won't do anythng unless provoked and even then they have no interest in a brawl. They are all more focused on money and war will just hurt the bottom line.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:54 PM   #10
clintl
College Starter

I agree with JPhillips. Asia is no closer to a major war now than it has been at any time in the last few decades. The exception might be an India-Pakistan conflict, but even those two countries have been getting along better lately.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:25 PM   #11
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The thing everyone forgets is that the situation in the Middle East is the same as it has always been, it is just getting more press now. Heck, I saw some statistics the other day that showed most forms of attacks in Iraq over the first 6 months of this year compared to the first 6 months of last year.

N. Korea is only rattling their saber right now because we are occupied with Iraq and they perceive weakness. It is better for them, and they have more to gain by causing trouble now then after Iraq is under control.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:07 AM   #12
Franklinnoble
Banned

Sadly, so much money is made on the conflict in the Middle East right now that the powers-that-be won't let peace have a chance (even though peace might be just as profitable - just not for them).
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:16 AM   #13
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA

And no, I'm not being flippant or trying to be funny, that's actually my prediction. Plus or minus a little, essentially the same as it's been for as long as most of us have been alive.

I agree with JonInMiddleGA.

Holy crap, my keyboard just exploded!

Last edited by Bee : 07-13-2006 at 06:16 AM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:48 AM   #14
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

That will have to do. The US military can keep the current level of violence from escalating. We can continue to keep the civil war from starting (which would have started a long time ago had we been forced to leave due to political pressures). That gives the Iraqi Army one more year of on the job training.

The more experience those boys get, the tougher they get, the smarter they get, and the less reliance the Iraqi's will need on our boys.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:18 AM   #15
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
World War III. And not just the Middle East.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Is it even possible to have a global war anymore?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:23 AM   #16
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
The thing everyone forgets is that the situation in the Middle East is the same as it has always been, it is just getting more press now. Heck, I saw some statistics the other day that showed most forms of attacks in Iraq over the first 6 months of this year compared to the first 6 months of last year.

Are you implying that the statistics show that attacks in Iraq are at the same level in the first six months of this year compared to the first six months of last year?
Old 07-13-2006, 08:46 AM   #17
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
This doesn't make any sense to me. Is it even possible to have a global war anymore?

I believe it's very possible...the biggest wars seemed to have been tipped off by the smallest of nations.

I believe this new escalation is different though.

First off, and not to blame Bush, but the destabilization of Iraq was one of the checks against Israel. Let's face it, if there was one thing that would nearly unite all the Muslim nations, it would be battling against Israel.

But now, Iraq is the process of new developments. Iran is being held at bay asserting influence on Iraq as well as dealing with pressure for nuclear weapons (a good reason for Israel to reassert the playing field now before Iran has anything tipped on their missles yet). Egypt is a peacemaker this time round. Turkey is too busy trying to keep a good face with the EU. Saudi Arabia is dealing with its own internal violence plus it's largely influenced by US money. So now is Israel's time to wipe out enemies in Palestine, Lebanon and possibly Syria (which the U.S. was eyeing anyway).

Now compound that with the recent terrorist attack leaving 185 plus dead in India's business district of Mumbai (Bombay) and the possible Kashmir link (again Muslim fundamentalists). And you have the makings of a Pakistan-India escalation, which is far more potent and devestating in what could happen because they both have nuclear weapons. Now the U.S. has been playing both sides now (Pakistan with the war on terror and keeping Afghanistan stabilized) and India which is a potent growing world power that isn't communist like China that has resources and people (outsourcing).

Then you have Asia--North Korea may be a joke, but it's got two big allies thanks to communism in Russia and China...because North Korea is like our Cuba. If they don't get what they want, they'll let refugees flood into China and Russia causing issues. Japan is nervous enough to consider militariziration (when's the last time they did that, oh yeah, WW2). South Korea would be the first strike area, so they're not happy. If the U.S. were to do anything to North Korea outside of sanctions, I foresee this to be the powderkeg first to explode into global conflict. China and Russia are very pissed at the U.S. right now, and have been consolidating power and relations because against of the U.S. influence in the Middle East. China has the manpower and industry, Russia has the resources and connections to Europe...makes for a hell of an enemy.

Africa- like I said before should be a main target of U.S. influence, and it's still a haven for corporations and coups. Somalia is now in fundamentalist Muslim hands, and Nigeria isn't much better off. Zimbabwae is a mess. Libya is actually the poster child for a decent nation, which is scary. South Africa is crimeridden. This is a destabilized area that is going to get worse.

South and Central America- Not much I've read that causes concern save for Venezuala's anti-American rhertoric. Crime and drugs are prevalent, but the governments seem stable if not leaning to the left. Not a major concern, in conflict...though I would surmise that if there was a global conflict, we'd have few allies then just in name in this region.

There are many probablities for global war. This is just my view and I'm not an expert.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:54 AM   #18
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
N. Korea is nothing more than a nuisance. I don't believe they'll cause any real harm unless they are attacked. Even then the war will be over quickly as I think they are a paper tiger with poorly motivated troops and failing equipment. S. Korea would take a beating, but it wouldn't come close to replaying 1950.

The other countries won't do anythng unless provoked and even then they have no interest in a brawl. They are all more focused on money and war will just hurt the bottom line.

While I agree with this mostly I think a close eye should be kept on Indonesia. Not the leaders of the state but some of the radical groups there. In the past few years the terror attacks there have been getting worse and I wouldn't be surprised if one of those groups is be responsible for the next really big terror attack.

Also, I completely agree with Jon about the state of the middle east in the short-mid term. I really thought progress was being made there with the israelis leaving a good percentage of their settlements and Abbas taking over but, obviously, things have regressed again.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:07 AM   #19
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Are you implying that the statistics show that attacks in Iraq are at the same level in the first six months of this year compared to the first six months of last year?

Sorry, incomplete thought on my part. Attacks, US deaths, car bombings, etc. are down across the board. The one question I did have about the statistics though was regarding car bombs because they were only over a 3 month period.

I'll see if I can find the link...
Old 07-13-2006, 09:17 AM   #20
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
Sorry, incomplete thought on my part. Attacks, US deaths, car bombings, etc. are down across the board. The one question I did have about the statistics though was regarding car bombs because they were only over a 3 month period.

I'll see if I can find the link...

Thanks. I am really curious about this; not trying to call your out.

Qwik-

I realize there are tensions everywhere in the world, but the whole idea of a global conflict breaking out simultaneously like WWII seems improbable to me. Many of these tensions have been building for years, and the thought that everyone would decide to act on them because of a large regional conflict in the Middle East is just too much for me to accept as a realistic scenario.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #21
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Here's the link, I am trusting the data is correct. Basically, kidnappings and multiple bomb fatalities are up, many of the other measurables are down.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...lieberman.html
Old 07-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #22
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Thanks. I am really curious about this; not trying to call your out.

I realize there are tensions everywhere in the world, but the whole idea of a global conflict breaking out simultaneously like WWII seems improbable to me. Many of these tensions have been building for years, and the thought that everyone would decide to act on them because of a large regional conflict in the Middle East is just too much for me to accept as a realistic scenario.

In general, I agree with you. But, we are also looking at those earlier global conflicts in hindsight. Clearly, the writing was on the wall a couple years ahead of WWII that there would be a large-scale conflict at some point. But what about at five years? Ten? Did people then think such a conflict would be possible down the road? For that matter, did people think that something like WWI would occur due to the assasination of Archduke Ferdinand?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:42 AM   #23
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I really think there are a number of factors at work in Iraq:

1) We've been over there for several years, and there is no date for withdrawl.

Personally, I see no reason for having a date because the job will be done when it is done. Additionally, if our presence in Iraq over the long run stabilizes the region, then it is worth it. If democracy can take hold in Iraq, there is hope for the region. Saudi Arabia is unstable because of the repressive government there. The same holds true for Egypt. The key is to have a true democracy in Iraq.

2) Creating bad news creates readers and viewers.

No one is very interested in good news. The news networks focus on the negative, or create a negative atmosphere to gain readership and viewers in an attempt to increase advertising revenues.

3) As a country, we have grown soft.

This is something that really bugs me. Anytime anyone gets hurt, dies, etc. someone feels the need to sue, because someone should have ensured that they weren't going to get hurt. Sure, product XYZ wasn't designed for ABC activity, but it was possible to do, and so the manufacturer needs to be sued, etc.

When we enter the realm of war, anytime someone dies we cringe. Unfortunately, death is part of war. If we are willing to go to war, we must be ready to accept the consequences. If the press reported WWII as they report Iraq, and as they reported Vietnam, I question whether we would have had the stomach to win WWII. Would there have been the outcry over Tokyo and Dresden fire bombings that we have had over civilian deaths in Iraq, which are probably still a fraction of the death toll of the Dresden and Tokyo fire bombings.

The result of all this is an electorate that wants to get out of Iraq.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #24
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
Its a mess. Its spiraling out of control, diplomacy is moot and I have no idea how it will turn out.

Without getting into debates of who is right/wrong (please, not interested in rehashing the old arguments) etc. ...

Anyone care to predict what will be the state of the region in

1 month
3 months
12 months

1 year, 3 years, 12 years, 50 years, a century. It will always be a mess as ancient hatreds and lack of economic prosperity continue to destabilize the region.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #25
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
In general, I agree with you. But, we are also looking at those earlier global conflicts in hindsight. Clearly, the writing was on the wall a couple years ahead of WWII that there would be a large-scale conflict at some point. But what about at five years? Ten? Did people then think such a conflict would be possible down the road? For that matter, did people think that something like WWI would occur due to the assasination of Archduke Ferdinand?

But in WWII, we had one power bent on conquering Europe and Asia through military conflict. Other than North Korea, none of these countries with their regional conflicts has designs on occupying an entire region. I'm not even sure anyone would want the job, after what happened to the USSR. So the thought of all of these countries rising up and needing to defend themselves against a dark and sinister power is a very remote possibility. Now, you put the USSR back on the map, with their stated goal of occupying all of Europe, and I could see a global war.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:34 AM   #26
SackAttack
Head Coach

CNN reporting that "Israel's foreign ministry says it has information that Lebanese guerillas are trying to transfer the captured Israeli soldiers to Iran."

Yeah, this is gonna end well.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:43 AM   #27
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I saw something on the news this AM about conflict moving to Iran, Seria and Lebanon. Anybody see anything in more detail on this? As I walked out the door, the President was on TV and it looked like it was broadcast from Germany.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #28
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus
I saw something on the news this AM about conflict moving to Iran, Seria and Lebanon. Anybody see anything in more detail on this? As I walked out the door, the President was on TV and it looked like it was broadcast from Germany.

That would be amazing. I am amazed there isn't more international pressure for resoluation. Bush basically gave support to Israel. This gonna be big. The beautiful thing is Israel is like a Cat's Paw for the U.S. in this...the U.S. will be able to come right in and set up shop.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 07-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #29
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
CNN reporting that "Israel's foreign ministry says it has information that Lebanese guerillas are trying to transfer the captured Israeli soldiers to Iran."

Yeah, this is gonna end well.

Hopefully, trying is the key word and the phone call consisted of..

"Hey, we would like to transfer Israeli soldiers to your country"

"Ahh.. are you kidding me?"
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 07-13-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #30
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Just pulled this off the newsline, pretty much covers the recent events. Kinda long, but again it is all there.

Quote:
Israeli Warplanes Attack Beirut Airport
Jul 13 10:35 AM US/Eastern

By SAM F. GHATTAS
Associated Press Writer
BEIRUT, Lebanon
Israel intensified its attacks Thursday against Lebanon, blasting Beirut's airport and a Lebanese army air base near the Syrian border, and imposing a naval blockade. More than 50 people have died in violence following the capture of two Israeli soldiers by Hezbollah militants.
Warplanes punched holes in the runways of Beirut's international airport and Lebanon's main military air base 30 miles to the east, an attack that could draw the Lebanese army into the conflict.
Israel's army chief Brig. Gen. Dan Halutz warned that "nothing is safe" in Lebanon and said Beirut itself _ particularly Hezbollah offices and residences _ would be a target.
Hezbollah fired rockets into northern Israeli towns and said it was using a new missile that appeared to be more advanced than previous models. One Israeli was killed and at least 12 were injured.
The militant group also said it would rocket the key Israeli port city of Haifa if Israel hit Beirut, a strike that would be the deepest ever into Israel by the guerrillas _ some 18 miles.
Two days of Israeli bombings, the heaviest air campaign against its neighbor in 24 years, had killed 47 Lebanese and wounded 103, Health Minister Mohammed Jawad Khalife said. Besides the Israeli civilian, eight Israeli soldiers had also been killed.
Both sides played a high stakes game following the capture of the two soldiers by Hezbollah: Israel sought to end Hezbollah's presence on the border, while the guerrillas insisted on trading the captured soldiers for Arab prisoners.
Trapped between the two sides was Lebanon, which Israel said it held responsible for Hezbollah's actions. The Lebanese government insisted it had no prior knowledge of the Hezbollah raid and did not condone it.
Hezbollah fighters operate with almost total autonomy in southern Lebanon, and the government has no control over their actions. But Lebanon has long resisted international pressure to disarm the group.
The Israeli warnings of more attacks caused panic in Beirut, and many people stayed home from work. Long lines formed at gas stations and supermarkets were packed.
The violence reverberated throughout the region and pushed crude oil prices to a new intraday record of $76.30 a barrel.
Western countries, Russia and the United Nations called for restraint and demanded the return of the soldiers. The Arab League called an emergency meeting of foreign ministers in Cairo on Saturday. The European Union criticized Israel for using what it called "disproportionate" force in its attacks and EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana said he was planning a peace mission to the Middle East.
President Bush pledged to work with Israel, criticizing Hezbollah for thwarting efforts for peace in the Middle East.
"My attitude is this: there are a group of terrorists who want to stop the advance of peace," he said at a news conference in Germany. "The soldiers need to be returned."
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas warned that Israel's Lebanon offensive "is raising our fears of a new regional war" and urged world powers to intervene.
Middle East satellite TV stations focused on the violence, and one station showed a man holding the head and torso of a baby killed in the Israeli bombings.
The eight Israeli soldiers killed so far is the highest death toll for the army in four years. Three soldiers died in the initial Hezbollah raid, and four were killed when their tank ran over a land mine Wednesday.
In northern Israel, thousands of civilians spent Wednesday night in underground shelters as Hezbollah fired rockets at northern Israel. A 40-year-old Israeli woman was killed and five people were wounded in the rocket attacks, the Israeli army reported.
After hitting roads and bridges in the south all day Wednesday, Israel dramatically expanded its campaign Thursday with their biggest offensive in Lebanon since Israel's 1982 invasion.
Israeli warships imposed a naval blockade of Lebanese ports, and the Israeli military said it could also target the Beirut-to-Damascus highway, the main land link between Lebanon and the outside world.
Jets dropped two bombs on the runway at the Rayak air base in the eastern Bekaa Valley, damaging it, police said. No casualties were reported.
Rayak, four miles west of the Syrian border, is home to the country's main military air base and is military headquarters in eastern Lebanon. Lebanon's army has no operational fixed-wing military aircraft and only operates helicopters equipped with machine guns.
Israeli Defense Minister Amir Peretz said his forces would not allow Hezbollah guerrillas to occupy positions along the southern Lebanese border.
"If the government of Lebanon fails to deploy its forces, as is expected of a sovereign government, we shall not allow Hezbollah forces to remain any further on the borders of the state of Israel," Peretz said.
Air force Maj. Gen. Amir Eshel said the campaign was likely Israel's largest ever in Lebanon "if you measure it in number of targets hit in one night, the complexity of the strikes." The last major offensive against Lebanon was in 1996 when about 150 Lebanese civilians were killed.
Travelers to and from Beirut were stranded all over the region and beyond after the airport strike. Among them was Foreign Minister Fawzi Salloukh, who was returning from a visit to Armenia and _ like many _ was forced to make his way home through Syria.
Israeli warplanes blasted craters into all three runways at the airport, located by the seaside in the Lebanese capital's Hezbollah- controlled southern suburbs, forcing incoming flights to divert to Cyprus. The main terminal of the $500 million airport remained intact.
The Israeli military said it struck the airport because it is "a central hub for the transfer of weapons and supplies to the Hezbollah terrorist organization."
It was the first time since Israel's 1982 invasion of Lebanon and occupation of Beirut that the airport was hit by Israel. The Israelis in 1968 sent commandos to Beirut airport, blowing up 13 passenger planes in retaliation for Arab militants firing on an Israeli airliner in Athens.
Details from the violence included:
_ An Israeli missile hit Hezbollah's Al-Manar TV studios in southern Beirut, station official Ibrahim Farhat said. One person was hurt; broadcasts continued. An Al-Manar transmission antenna hit near Baalbek stopped transmissions in that area.
_ A civic center attached to a Shiite Muslim mosque near the town of Baalbek was hit.
_ A Lebanese family of 10 and another family of seven were killed in their homes in the village of Dweir, Lebanese officials said.
_ Among the dead Lebanese were a soldier and a Hezbollah fighter.
_ Hezbollah fired rockets at the northern Israeli towns of Safed, Nahariya, Kiryat Shmona, and Carmiel, saying it was using a rocket called "Thunder 1" for the first time. The missiles appeared to be more advanced than the inaccurate Katyusha _ the standard Hezbollah rocket.
The Israeli army said several rockets had landed more than 12 miles south of the border, showing that Hezbollah has managed to extend its missiles' range.
___
Associated Press reporter Karin Laub in Jerusalem contributed to this report.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:00 AM   #31
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If those captured soldiers do get sent to Iran, they will become the modern day versions of Archduke Ferdinand.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #32
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

We may see World War 3 yet.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:48 AM   #33
rexallllsc
Banned

In statements, USA backs Israel (shock!), Russia and France condemn Israel's attacks.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:49 AM   #34
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot
The beautiful thing is Israel is like a Cat's Paw for the U.S. in this...the U.S. will be able to come right in and set up shop.

What's so beautiful about that?

Last edited by rexallllsc : 07-13-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:50 AM   #35
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Crap... gas prices are going to go through the roof...

And why in the world is Isreal attacking north Lebanese areas when the Lebanese government isn't exactly fans of Hezbollah in the first place (remember the anti-Syrian guys took over fairly recently)?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

From another version of the same basic story, I noticed the most encouraging thing yet

Quote:
Moderate Arab governments reacted with relative restraint, apparently reflecting a sentiment in Egypt, Jordan and Saudi Arabia that Hezbollah - and by implication its top ally, Syria - had started the fight with Israel.

If that's an accurate reading (and who knows whether it is or not), sounds as though there's a chance that some of the potential players are willing to sit this one out.

edit to add: ... although that could just as easily be what everyone is supposed to think until it serves a purpose to reveal otherwise.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-13-2006 at 11:53 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:54 AM   #37
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
What's so beautiful about that?

Uh...if Israel should attack Syria and/or Iran, the U.S. will not look as the direct instigator. And could in fact, stay out of the battlefield entirely, than invading and occupying other Middle East countries with force.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:57 AM   #38
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Uh...if Israel should attack Syria and/or Iran, the U.S. will not look as the direct instigator. And could in fact, stay out of the battlefield entirely, than invading and occupying other Middle East countries with force.

Gotcha. I didn't quire understand what you meant.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #39
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If that's an accurate reading (and who knows whether it is or not), sounds as though there's a chance that some of the potential players are willing to sit this one out.

Depends on what Isreal does to Lebanon. Seeing as how Syria are the guys who directly support Hezbollah and the fact that the Lebanese parliament is very anti-Syria currently, Isreal would have done better to bomb Syria's airports.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:04 PM   #40
rowech
Pro Starter

What can be said? Israel gave up Gaza settlements and they were used against them to launch raids. Why won't this situation continue forever? As my father-in-law says they will be fighting each other until they run out of rocks.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:05 PM   #41
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech
What can be said? Israel gave up Gaza settlements and they were used against them to launch raids. Why won't this situation continue forever? As my father-in-law says they will be fighting each other until they run out of rocks.

Did he give mad props to Einstein?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:18 PM   #42
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Did he give mad props to Einstein?

???
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:28 PM   #43
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech
???

i was refering to the rocks comment. thought your dad might be as well.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
Old 07-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #44
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui

And why in the world is Isreal attacking north Lebanese areas when the Lebanese government isn't exactly fans of Hezbollah in the first place (remember the anti-Syrian guys took over fairly recently)?

I believe that the Lebanese government has not taken any action to disarm and take out the Hezbollah, and Isreal does not want them on its border. Hopefully this is correct.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:02 PM   #45
Galaxy
Coordinator

Isreal city of Haifa has been hit by two rockets from Lebanon?

An trivial question, but isn't Lebanon a very mixed country of Muslims and Christians?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:04 PM   #46
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I believe it's very possible...the biggest wars seemed to have been tipped off by the smallest of nations.

I believe this new escalation is different though.

First off, and not to blame Bush, but the destabilization of Iraq was one of the checks against Israel. Let's face it, if there was one thing that would nearly unite all the Muslim nations, it would be battling against Israel.

But now, Iraq is the process of new developments. Iran is being held at bay asserting influence on Iraq as well as dealing with pressure for nuclear weapons (a good reason for Israel to reassert the playing field now before Iran has anything tipped on their missles yet). Egypt is a peacemaker this time round. Turkey is too busy trying to keep a good face with the EU. Saudi Arabia is dealing with its own internal violence plus it's largely influenced by US money. So now is Israel's time to wipe out enemies in Palestine, Lebanon and possibly Syria (which the U.S. was eyeing anyway).

Now compound that with the recent terrorist attack leaving 185 plus dead in India's business district of Mumbai (Bombay) and the possible Kashmir link (again Muslim fundamentalists). And you have the makings of a Pakistan-India escalation, which is far more potent and devestating in what could happen because they both have nuclear weapons. Now the U.S. has been playing both sides now (Pakistan with the war on terror and keeping Afghanistan stabilized) and India which is a potent growing world power that isn't communist like China that has resources and people (outsourcing).

Then you have Asia--North Korea may be a joke, but it's got two big allies thanks to communism in Russia and China...because North Korea is like our Cuba. If they don't get what they want, they'll let refugees flood into China and Russia causing issues. Japan is nervous enough to consider militariziration (when's the last time they did that, oh yeah, WW2). South Korea would be the first strike area, so they're not happy. If the U.S. were to do anything to North Korea outside of sanctions, I foresee this to be the powderkeg first to explode into global conflict. China and Russia are very pissed at the U.S. right now, and have been consolidating power and relations because against of the U.S. influence in the Middle East. China has the manpower and industry, Russia has the resources and connections to Europe...makes for a hell of an enemy.

Africa- like I said before should be a main target of U.S. influence, and it's still a haven for corporations and coups. Somalia is now in fundamentalist Muslim hands, and Nigeria isn't much better off. Zimbabwae is a mess. Libya is actually the poster child for a decent nation, which is scary. South Africa is crimeridden. This is a destabilized area that is going to get worse.

South and Central America- Not much I've read that causes concern save for Venezuala's anti-American rhertoric. Crime and drugs are prevalent, but the governments seem stable if not leaning to the left. Not a major concern, in conflict...though I would surmise that if there was a global conflict, we'd have few allies then just in name in this region.

There are many probablities for global war. This is just my view and I'm not an expert.

Thanks for the post. China is the "darkhorse". North Korea may not look like a serious threat, but's it a good pong that could be kicked. China may be looking at Tibet, Taiwain, and fully bring Hong Kong (it's part of China, but not under its complete control) to take back. Also, I believe Iran and North Korea have a good relationship as well.

Wars are usually build over a few years, like a game of chess.

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-13-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:05 PM   #47
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui

Yeah, the gas price issue is going to suck. I’m hearing people are panicking about the possibility of gas prices doubling in areas like California. I'm sure a lot of this is just panic.

Pretty much from the article, the Israeli’s said the air field was being used to transport weapons and supplies to Hezbollah and was in a Hezbollah controlled suburb. The article also indicated Hezbollah operates with total autonomy in Southern Lebanon, but the Lebanese have refused international pressure to disarm Hezbollah. The Israeli defense minister indicated they are deploying forces because Lebanon will not and Israel will no longer let Hezbollah remain along the border. I think they are pretty much concerned about the new longer ranged rockets Hezbollah is using.

The fact Abbas is asking the foreign powers to intervene is pretty telling as well. He is afraid a full scale regional war is about to erupt. He is no fool, he knows were that leaves him. I think this is quite a bit different from the norm.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:12 PM   #48
Franklinnoble
Banned

I say we give Israel all the hardware it wants, and turn them loose. Seriously. If Canada and Mexico refused to acknowledge the right of the USA to exist, and were constantly sending suicide bombers over the boarder, we'd have blown them back to the jurassic by now.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #49
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Latest News:
An extremist organization called the “Gilad Shalhevet Brigades” claimed it kidnapped two Palestinians, residents of the Jerusalem area. In a statement issued by the groups it was said that the hostages will be released only in exchange for the Israeli soldiers abducted in Gaza and Lebanon.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:18 PM   #50
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
I believe that the Lebanese government has not taken any action to disarm and take out the Hezbollah, and Isreal does not want them on its border. Hopefully this is correct.

The Lebanese government isn't strong enough to disarm and take out Hezbollah. It moves against them and there is a long, drawn out civil war, which would probably end with a stalemate peace with Hezbollah in more control of Southern Lebanon.

This idea that no matter how strong a government is (and the new anti-Syria government was just getting starting) it should control guerillas or terrorist groups in their territory (no matter how strong that group is) is utterly ridiculous.

If Isreal just went after Hezbollah and their leadership in Southern Lebanon, the Lebanese government would probably be privately thankful. No country likes to have a power goverment-like group in its borders. If they could have gotten rid of the Syria backed Hezbollah (as they did with Syrian forces a year ago) they would.