Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Mens Baseball Leagues

Shalom, Ahoy, and HEELLOOOO JOOEEE

Anyways, over the last year I've had a hunger growing inside me. I don't know if it's because my wife enjoys learning how to play, but I've been getting a serious itch to play some real baseball. I played growing up, and I was pretty good, but as I got older my attention shifted to football and baseball kind of fell by the wayside. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older, but my love for game of baseball has really taken over. I've looked into potentially joining a mens league on Oahu (if I can freaking find one), or wherever we move next.

Have any of you had any experience playing after high school/college? Now, I'm not talking about bitchy, wimpy, girly softball. I'm talking the real deal gentlemen...HARDBALL.

Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post

Anyways, over the last year I've had a hunger growing inside me. I don't know if it's because my wife enjoys learning how to play, but I've been getting a serious itch to play some real baseball. I played growing up, and I was pretty good, but as I got older my attention shifted to football and baseball kind of fell by the wayside. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older, but my love for game of baseball has really taken over. I've looked into potentially joining a mens league on Oahu (if I can freaking find one), or wherever we move next.

Have any of you had any experience playing after high school/college? Now, I'm not talking about bitchy, wimpy, girly softball. I'm talking the real deal gentlemen...HARDBALL.

I played one season in the MSBL (MSBLNational.com) when I was 32. It was the first ball I played since I was 15. Many guys on the team were ex-college players and even one or two ex-minor leaguers. Needless to say, it didn't go well for me. I hit .100 for the season (the mini-mendoza line?) and led the league in strikeouts. Still had fun though.

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 05-20-2010 at 01:14 PM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
digamma
Torchbearer

I play in a men's fast pitch softball league, which seems to be a good compromise.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've kinda had the itch to get back into it, too, with all the time I spend coaching my daughter's fastpitch softball teams and getting so involved in teaching her how to pitch and all the minutia of the game, now that she's getting to the age where she needs to know more than just the basics.

I'd love to find a more recreational league, kinda like the adult huff 'n' puff soccer league I play in over the summer, that wouldn't be populated by a bunch of guys who played well over my head and were much younger than me. I don't know that I've seen any adult fastpitch softball leagues, but then again, I haven't looked.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

You should give it a try. I'm still pretty young, 28.

Coincidentally, after months of looking around, I finally found the website to the Oahu branch of the MSBL/MABL. I emailed the commish, so I guess we'll see what happens. If I get on a team I'll start up a dynasty thread
Old 05-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
Ksyrup

Quote:
You should give it a try. I'm still pretty young, 28.

Yeah, uh, I'm not.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
Ksyrup

Inicidentally, I've thrown more in the past 3 years with my daughter than I'd thrown in the 20+ years since I stopped playing baseball in high school, and I'm fairly certain I need rotator cuff surgery. I can barely lift my arm above my head any longer. Too many batting practice sessions throwing overhand to 9 year olds!
Old 05-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Inicidentally, I've thrown more in the past 3 years with my daughter than I'd thrown in the 20+ years since I stopped playing baseball in high school, and I'm fairly certain I need rotator cuff surgery. I can barely lift my arm above my head any longer. Too many batting practice sessions throwing overhand to 9 year olds!

lol. If you go on youtube and search for MSBL or MABL, you'll see a lot of videos of old bastards who throw lobs from third to first. You wouldn't be alone :P

As far as not being able to lift your shoulder that high, well...that could certainly be a problem. Might want to consult the resident doc (EF27) about that one.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'll play if you play (if we can find one)
Old 05-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I've been playing in a 30+ baseball league for several years...it's fun but the baseball can be a little lacking at times. At 35, I'm one of the younger guys on my team but there a few teams in the league that I would be much more senior. We've actually gone to wood bats only this year and that has been an adjustment so far because I've never used a wood bat except for the odd time at practice just for kicks.

I had done a dynasty thread to start last season but didn't keep it up...search for "Edmonton Blues" if you'd like to do a little reading.

Before this league and before I moved out here (Western Canada) I was playing in another men's league (no age minimum) where we had several ex-minor leaguers and plenty of college guys...some home for the summer and some long since graduated...and that was some pretty good ball most nights.

Good luck and hope you find a team!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I'll play if you play (if we can find one)

Nice! Here's the site...

Welcome

I emailed Paul Kopp, the commish, this morning. I'll let you know what he says man. Do you still have any equipment? I left my bat and balls back on the mainland in storage. I still have my glove, which quite frankly could use some breaking in, and some batting gloves.

btw...thanks shaka I'll look up your dynasty.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 05-20-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #12
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I used to have a ton of balls , about 4 or 5 gloves and at least 4 bats as well, but unfortunatly I left it behind when I moved about 2 years ago. I wouldn't mind picking up some new stuff though if we do this. I'm down

I played Cf, 2b and pitcher. but I'm up for whatever.

Also looking for a new flag football league, would you be interested ?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #13
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I might be interested in the flag football league...maybe.

I played 2B, SS, and 3B. Looks like there's a decent amount of stuff on craigslist, plus it's already broken in which is a plus. I might go that route to pick up some extra balls, as I only have 2 now (har har...no seriously). Too bad you don't live closer, we could shake some of our on-field rust off. I enjoy playing ball with my wife, but she can't exactly hit screamers at me yet.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #14
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

word. Well we can meet up somedays , and I don't mind coming over to your side of the island, its not really that far. I'm gonna check out craigslist and see what I can pick up, and let me know if you hear from the commish.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #15
BYU 14
Coordinator

I played a season in an over 40 league a 4 years back, it was a blast. I also realized I had remained fairly athletic compared to some others...It was not that serious of a league though and I think a lot of guys just played to get to the Beer afterwards.

What I really want to try when I have time is vintage Baseball, it looks like a blast.

Arizona Territories Vintage Base Ball League

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #16
Comey
College Starter

I play in a league here near Hartford, called the Greater Hartford Independent Baseball League. Led my league in RBI the past two years, hit a couple of homers last year, Also pitch, have done well but the arm is kind of dead.

It's a lot of fun.

I almost joined the MESL or whatever league here, but a few injuries kept my time away. In addition, they play doubleheaders (which is my preference), but it would conflict with the team I'm on (which is my preference). Maybe some time.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #17
miked
College Starter

I play in the Atlanta MABL now and have played MABL since leaving college. I started my first year in grad school because I tried out for independent leagues but couldn't make the commitment and was considered "too old" by most scouts (at 22). It's metal bat, but when I lived in Boston I played in the Boston MABL, which is wood bat and is a summer spot for many college kids home for the summer.

I went to some tourneys, played against former minor leaguers, and we even had a scrimmage against the Brockton Rox one season. It's pretty bad ass, but I'm getting old now. I still play in the 18+, and metal bats keep me well over .350, but the 28+ is coming soon.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #18
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Update on me and the Oahu Baseball League.

The Oahu Mens Baseball League (A RL Dynasty) - Front Office Football Central