Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-12-2015, 10:26 PM   #1
tarcone
Coordinator

I Just Baked My Mom's Molasses Cookies

I am so excited. I havent had these in years. I really love these. My Mom would make them every Christmas. They were my favorites. So good. This year, I decided to try and make them. My Mom had sent me the recipe years ago, but I never made them. My wife tried once and failed miserably.
Its been a year since my Mom died. I still have her email. Which was sad looking at. But I had to try.

And wow, not as good as my Mom's but pretty darn good. They are a very technical cookie. At least for me. Not many steps, but things Im not used to doing.

So happy.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:42 PM   #2
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Old 12-12-2015, 10:43 PM   #3
thesloppy
Pro Starter

So jealous. I love molasses cookies.

I remember when I was really young my grandparents used to make these old German anise cookies....I had to go look them up, they're called Springerle, and they're formed with a board or pin that's covered with olde-timey designs. My grandparents had one like this, I can remember rolling 'em out with them:

..they stopped making 'em when they/I got older, and as a result the memory always give me that Christmas-as-a-kid feeling...though I haven't actually had the cookie itself in many, many years. It was a fucked up cookie! Basically a sugar cookie that tastes like black licorice. And my grandparents were not exactly known for cooking/baking anything, so I was probably getting a badly botched version of what was already an ancient German licorice cookie. Yum?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:24 AM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

My great-grandmother and some of her relatives were legendary for their lebkuchen german cookies they made at Christmas. To me as a kid (and adult) they were basically inedible. Sort of like a bad combination of fruitcake and cookie.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:49 AM   #5
timmae
College Starter

BAKED... as in medicinal product enhanced?!
Old 12-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
Dutch
"Dutch"

The only real food tradition I have is Cranberry Nutbread. It's made from scratch every Thanksgiving and Christmas...my grandmother (from NY) and my great aunts (from Mass) insisted that my mother take on the tradition. I grew up on that stuff and it is amazing. My daughter made her first one this Thanksgiving....so the tradition continues!

I heat up the slices, put butter on them and then eat about 2 lbs of it before I fall-out...of course, now I slow down a bit...but when I was in my 20's and 30's, goodness...I would crush it.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:08 AM   #7
Thomkal
Head Coach

nice story Tarcone. I hope you made enough for all of us. My Grandmother (also German decedent) made a ton of cookies (and Chex mix!) for Christmas every year-i think they had more cookies luggage than clothes luggage when they came each winter. My mom doesn't have the same enthusiasm for baking any more, but thankfully one of my sister-in-laws does. I'm still eating some she left for Thanksgiving, and she makes a butterscotch cookie just for me Needless to say I'm not monitoring my salt intake as much during the holidays...

Last edited by Thomkal : 12-13-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote