Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #601
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Ok. I'll bite.

Why no mention of Marty Brodeur? Is it because you find him so attractive that just uttering or typing his name makes your entire body quiver?
who
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Like a Penguins fan would know what a tough guy is...

I don't know how I missed this before. I have no words.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #602
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I love the new realignment. That is all.

I do as well.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #603
chadritt
High School Varsity

Wont they have to come up with a whole new realignment after Phoenix moves? I mean....im assuming that if Atlanta had to move then so will Phoenix.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #604
SackAttack
Head Coach

*Looks at score of Panthers/Caps*

*waves little rubber rat by the tail*
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #606
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Wont they have to come up with a whole new realignment after Phoenix moves? I mean....im assuming that if Atlanta had to move then so will Phoenix.

Just a guess, but I wonder if that is being taken into account.

The fact that the "East" has the two 7-team divisions, and the "West" owners agreed to it, says to me that most expect Phoenix to move...and head East (Quebec? Hamilton?)...thus balancing a 7- and 8-team division in each region.

My question is still the matchups for what would be now called the conference finals, and the SCF. Will it be A&B and C&D?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:04 AM   #607
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Woot - Bruins!!

Pens did have too many chances...and when they did, Thomas was there.

Still would love to see 7 of those two teams, both healthy, in the ECF.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #608
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
I'm thinking about it more, and i really want to know what is terrible about this

After looking it over a bit more, it's not as bad as I originally believed.

However, I wish the Wings would have been put in a conference with Toronto, I really miss that rivalry.

This will definitely help tv ratings and cut down travel, and it will be nice to see teams every year instead of every other year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #609
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Pens did have too many chances...and when they did, Thomas was there.

Still would love to see 7 of those two teams, both healthy, in the ECF.

It was a great game. I was frankly surprised by the way the Bruins were able to effectively shut down Crosby + Malkin. Those two 5-on-3 PP's were absolutely phenomenal...although pretty ticky-tacky in terms of some of the calls that led to them (from what I recall).

The Boston morning sports radio guys came up with a goofy stunt for their phonescreener guy...they're going to make him camp out with the Occupy Boston folks until the Bruins lose a regulation-time game. Haha.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #610
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I really like the realignment plan.

From a Wings perspective it's going to cut down on travel and there will be a lot fewer 10:30 pm EST west coast start times.

Coming out of the lockout in 2005, the NHL tried to re-kindle rivalries by having a team play every other team in its division 8 times or something very close to that. It was a good idea in theory, but totally fizzled. The divisional games became a grind and it really didn't do much for the rivalries. The reason is, of course, is that rivalries are made in playoffs series. That's where the real passion, emotion and hate are born. So, having to face the same teams every year could do wonders there.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the third round of the playoffs.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #611
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
It was a great game. I was frankly surprised by the way the Bruins were able to effectively shut down Crosby + Malkin. Those two 5-on-3 PP's were absolutely phenomenal...although pretty ticky-tacky in terms of some of the calls that led to them (from what I recall).

The Boston morning sports radio guys came up with a goofy stunt for their phonescreener guy...they're going to make him camp out with the Occupy Boston folks until the Bruins lose a regulation-time game. Haha.

Welcome to the world of NHL officiating. The first penalty of the game, Dupuis tugging on Chara's jersey...I am wondering if Chara still isn't sure what happened there because he didn't feel anything. But later on the in the game, you can have full 5-on-5 scrums in front of the net, with no calls.

The 5-on-3 PPs...I try not to question coaching in general, and moreso in hockey because it's so fluid. But 1) why in the world is Crosby on the point? Look at all his goals-- they are garbage plays from 5 feet and in and 2) Why are Malkin and Crosby on the point together, so they can pass the puck back and forth? The other 3 guys are standing around.

They miss Letang-- he'd miss the net by 4 feet, but at least he'd open things up by shooting.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #612
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Welcome to the world of NHL officiating. The first penalty of the game, Dupuis tugging on Chara's jersey...I am wondering if Chara still isn't sure what happened there because he didn't feel anything. But later on the in the game, you can have full 5-on-5 scrums in front of the net, with no calls.

The 5-on-3 PPs...I try not to question coaching in general, and moreso in hockey because it's so fluid. But 1) why in the world is Crosby on the point? Look at all his goals-- they are garbage plays from 5 feet and in and 2) Why are Malkin and Crosby on the point together, so they can pass the puck back and forth? The other 3 guys are standing around.

They miss Letang-- he'd miss the net by 4 feet, but at least he'd open things up by shooting.

Oh yeah, I know. NHL officiating is no better than any other (well okay, it's better than NBA!). But at least one of those seemed...very questionable that there wasn't an offsetting penalty on the Penguins guy (I guess it was the second 5-on-3).

Yeah...the Bruins TV guys were wondering the same thing about having Crosby + Malkin on the point...didn't seem to create any chances.

That said - Thomas is in the frigging zone right now. Wow.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #614
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I like the new realignment plan. I just wonder what they're going to call the new divisions conferences and whether they'll owe to history or just stick to geography. (I'm guessing the latter.)
Old 12-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #615
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Team Conference Realignment! (I like it- quite a bit)
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #616
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I hope they use the old division names (Adams, Patrick, Smythe, and Norris) for these "conferences". Then I hope they always make the Adams winner play the Patrick winner for the Prince of Wales trophy and the Smythe play the Norris for the Campbell trophy. Finally, the winners of those trophies play each other for the Stanley Cup.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #617
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I would prefer that Gary Bettman just vote after the regular season on which two teams get to play for the Stanley Cup.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #618
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I would prefer that Gary Bettman just vote after the regular season on which two teams get to play for the Stanley Cup.

Pittsburgh vs. Chicago every year? No thanks.

Quote:
Old 12-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #619
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I'm glad that I've never had to worry about my team's goaltending. The Devils have had legitimate starting goaltending for over 20 years now. Sean Burke, Chris Terreri, John Vanbiesbrouck, Kevin Weekes, Johan Hedberg, Scott Clemmensen, etc. I've always liked New Jersey's chances.

Quote:
who

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #621
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Tootoo get's a 2 game suspension. What a complete fucking joke. Shanahan is Colin Campbell already. Jordin Tootoo of Nashville Predators suspended 2 games for hit on Buffalo Sabres' Ryan Miller - ESPN

Hrm.

I think 2 games sounds about right.

Miller comes back from his first game after suffering a concussion from being run by Lucic on what was a pretty controversial hit that many GMs thought was suspension worthy.

Tootoo cuts into Miller's crease, charges Miller and dives at his head.

Miller was in his crease, not out playing the puck some 30 feet away.

Shanny had no choice but to suspend him.

I have no issue with this at all.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #623
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I hope they use the old division names (Adams, Patrick, Smythe, and Norris) for these "conferences". Then I hope they always make the Adams winner play the Patrick winner for the Prince of Wales trophy and the Smythe play the Norris for the Campbell trophy. Finally, the winners of those trophies play each other for the Stanley Cup.

Pretty much agreed here. It's like they decided they made a mistake with the last realignment, and didn't quite want to admit it, so they decided to call the divisions conferences to make it seem different.

*shurg* - as long as it's closer to the old way (which might get me to watch more NHL).
Old 12-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #624
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Tootoo is a repeat offender on shots to the head. It should have been in the 20 game suspension realm. 2 games is nothing.

meh. Tootoo is a loser, but I think 2 games is about right for that hit
Old 12-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #626
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Except for the part where the NHL has stressed that suspensions are longer for repeat offenders. Maybe that "rule" only applies to Ovechkin.

"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 12-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #627
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm streaming the NESN feed of the Jets/Bruins game right now, and I gotta say, whoever the play-by-play guy is, he's really good! In fact the coverage in general is just very solid. And their cameras caught a fan drinking from a flask in the stands, which was pretty awesome
Old 12-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #628
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

You like Jack Edwards?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #629
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm streaming the NESN feed of the Jets/Bruins game right now, and I gotta say, whoever the play-by-play guy is, he's really good! In fact the coverage in general is just very solid. And their cameras caught a fan drinking from a flask in the stands, which was pretty awesome

Jack Edwards makes us Boston folk want to stab our eardrums out.

I'm surprised that Winnipeg is beating the Bruins. Not that I don't think Winnipeg is good or anything...but the Bruins are playing so well I would have thought it would take a team playing at a whole nother level to beat Boston right now, and while Winnipeg is playing well it's not SUPERHUMAN or anything. Then again...3 games in 4 nights they gotta be beat.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #630
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Kudos to Winnipeg. Pavlek was a beast.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #631
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
You like Jack Edwards?

Apparently I do!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #632
molson
General Manager

I love that all the Boston sports media types I remember from the 80s are pretty much all still there. When I was in town over Thanksgiving Mike Dowling and Mike Lynch talking on a Patriots pre-game. Jack Edwards is like a nerdier, poor man's Mike Dowling.

Last edited by molson : 12-06-2011 at 10:16 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #633
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Apparently I do!

God Bless you my Canadian friend. That's like saying you like Maxwell House coffee instead of Tim Hortons.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #634
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
You like Jack Edwards?

I'm a Bruins fan and I don't hate Jack but I do have to shake my head at the things he says at least two or three times a game. He's a homer, yes, but a really nerdy one.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #635
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anytime we can beat Detroit, I'm a happy man!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:44 AM   #636
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
You like Jack Edwards?

lol. Most over the top commentator in all of sports.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #637
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I love the rat thing. I can't believe something that seems like a legitimate hockey quirk exists in Florida.

Kind of a neat story behind it, too. Mellanby one-timed a rat off the dressing room wall in '96, then went out and scored two goals in the game that night. I believe it was John Vanbiesbrouck who dubbed that a "rat trick," and, well...now you know the rest...of the story.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #638
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Anytime we can beat Detroit, I'm a happy man!

The Wings are so streaky this year it is frustrating.

Quote:
Old 12-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #639
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
You like Jack Edwards?

Quote:
Jack Edwards makes us Boston folk want to stab our eardrums out.

I'm surprised that Winnipeg is beating the Bruins. Not that I don't think Winnipeg is good or anything...but the Bruins are playing so well I would have thought it would take a team playing at a whole nother level to beat Boston right now, and while Winnipeg is playing well it's not SUPERHUMAN or anything. Then again...3 games in 4 nights they gotta be beat.

Quote:
Apparently I do!

Quote:
God Bless you my Canadian friend. That's like saying you like Maxwell House coffee instead of Tim Hortons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I'm a Bruins fan and I don't hate Jack but I do have to shake my head at the things he says at least two or three times a game. He's a homer, yes, but a really nerdy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
lol. Most over the top commentator in all of sports.

I found myself Monday night during the Pens-B's game, wishing there was a way to simulcast Jack on the NESN feed and Steigy on the ROOTPIT feed into one giant clusterfuck.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #640
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

From that game, his call during Campbell-Vitale...

Edit: Screw embedding!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6WCkSL3I0c

Not sure which part I like best. The "using him as a speed bag" while Campbell is swinging at air, or the "big left" by Vitale at the end.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 12-07-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #641
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
DOLA

From that game, his call during Campbell-Vitale...

Edit: Screw embedding!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6WCkSL3I0c

Not sure which part I like best. The "using him as a speed bag" while Campbell is swinging at air, or the "big left" by Vitale at the end.

I think my favorite is "this Northeastern Husky is going to look like one ugly dog."
Old 12-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #642
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I think my favorite is "this Northeastern Husky is going to look like one ugly dog."

This is where I'll give Edwards a nod-- he's really prepared, especially in comparison to a bum like Steigerwald. He's not a total homer in the sense it's a Globetrotters-Generals game, that the other team is a necessary evil to allow the Bruins to play the game.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #643
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Crosby sitting out @ Philly Thursday and @ Islanders Saturday as a "precaution"
Old 12-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #644
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Crosby sitting out @ Philly Thursday and @ Islanders Saturday as a "precaution"

Hope he's alright. I'd much rather face the Pens with him in the lineup.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #645
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
This is where I'll give Edwards a nod-- he's really prepared, especially in comparison to a bum like Steigerwald. He's not a total homer in the sense it's a Globetrotters-Generals game, that the other team is a necessary evil to allow the Bruins to play the game.

he is very prepared and calls a very accurate game (which is, sadly, a bit of a rarity these days). And he's extremely energetic - really gets caught up in the game. Yes, he goes over the top and he's a brutal homer but I would rather listen to him than a large percentage of pbp guys.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #646
Grover
Pro Starter

Edwards is at his absolute worst when calling games that are against either Montreal or Philadelphia. He does not hide his hatred for either team.

Exhibit A. Yes, this was after Jones had injured Bergeron. Edwards' reaction was completely unwarranted though.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #647
Galaxy
Coordinator

Not a fan of the realignment plan and the playoff setup.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #648
Grover
Pro Starter

Claude Giroux, I love you.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #649
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Claude Giroux, I love you.

+1
Old 12-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #650
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I can't wait till John Steigerwald writes a story tomorrow on how Claude Giroux is on steroids.