Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2006, 10:48 AM   #1551
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Well, let's play detective. The game was ready to go before career play was added. So we can deduce as a matter of pure logic that the moving first down line is a function of career play. No other reason makes sense. So, what could that function of career play be? Well, we know that it can't be a bug because this game has undergone more beta testing than any game in the history of computers. So it must be a purposeful feature related to career play. Let us also deduce (I can't imagine that there would be much objection to this point) that none of the graphics in this game are eye candy. Everything must serve a purpose--nothing less would deserve to be called the Total Football Experience.

I draw, then, gentlemen, your attention to the beer tent. [/Gasps come from audience.] Yes, the beer tent. What does a beer tent serve? That's right--BEER. And not just any beer, but that really good, strong CANADIAN BEER. [/Knowing mumbling from the audience.] Beer that will get you intoxicated. Now, in most stadiums, the beer is sold, not on the field where none of the fans are allowed to go, but in the stands themselves.

This beer tent, however, as you can clearly see, is on the field! Who would put a beer tent on the freakin' field where no one can buy the beer? [/questioning mummers] I'll tell you who. It's the opposing coach! He's getting the guys holding the chains drunk during the games!

This is the answer that ties everything together. We all wondered what career play was since it did not contain a draft, recruiting, or financial system. We thought that it was just a joke. It is no joke, my friends; it is deadly serious. This game is part RPG. The career mode pits you against the machinations of insane coaches who will do anything to win--including using high alcohol content beer to their advantage. I submit to you that part of career play involves petitioning the league to not let the guys holding the chains go to the beer tent during the games. See, what we have been laughing off is actually just Matrix being deeper than you can even imagine. The Beer Tent is Relevant! Don't you get it?! Drunken chain gangs? Amazing. I'd like to see Madden do that.

Seriously, though. At what point, if you are Matrix Games/Wintervalley, do you just say that you are taking the game off-line for 6 months, hire some real, committed beta-testers, and fix the bugs under the hood?

This game looks nowhere near ready to go. People keep finding critical mistakes in the screen shots and movies that are released to the public. There is a serious risk of trademark infringement suits if the game is released in this form. Etc., etc., etc. There will be a lot (more) egg on people's faces if this game is released in the next few days.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #1552
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Dude, I can't wait for that DEMO!

Dude, you're gettin' a DEMO!!!
Old 02-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #1553
Dutch
"Dutch"

The fans can't buy beer from the beer tent? What a rip-off.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #1554
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
I'm sorry, but you actually fail, since you assume

Maximum Flexibilty is the same as Maximim + Flexibility.

The presence of 2 variables next to each other connotates multiplication, not addition. Just as xy means x multiplied by y, Maximum Flexibility means Maximum times Flexibility.

So we really have

Maximum Flexibility = Maximum-Football
(Maximum) x (Flexibility) = (Maximum) - (Football)

cartman = D+

Even better. So instead of a linear regression of Football as Flexibility increases, there is a logrithmic decrease of Football as Flexibility increases.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:57 AM   #1555
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Seriously, though. At what point, if you are Matrix Games/Wintervalley, do you just say that you are taking the game off-line for 6 months, hire some real, committed beta-testers, and fix the bugs under the hood?

Better question IMO: If you are Matrix Games, at what point do you just cut your losses on this? Hopefully they're at least smart enough not to have spent anything substantial to date on something that looks better left as vaporware.

I'd call spending money hiring real, honest-to-goodness qualified non-fanboy beta testers as throwing money down a dry hole, because there's little chance in my mind (having seen the screenshots) that this product can sell enough copies to justify the expenditure. And releasing it without doing so might ultimately carry a cost even higher.

Their second-best call would be to walk away now.
Their best call would be to run away now.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:58 AM   #1556
KWhit
Coordinator

Seriously, has there been a single video, screenshot, or "dynasty" of the gameplay that has not identified a problem in the game?

And we're not talking nit-picky stuff here. We're talking about moving 1st down markers, teleporting tacklers, players throwing for 450 yds, rushing for over 300 yds!

And you would think that Matrix would be posting the absolute BEST videos and screenshots that they could, right? And yet we've picked up on numerous game issues from these. Did anyone test this game?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:00 AM   #1557
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight

This game looks nowhere near ready to go. People keep finding critical mistakes in the screen shots and movies that are released to the public. There is a serious risk of trademark infringement suits if the game is released in this form. Etc., etc., etc. There will be a lot (more) egg on people's faces if this game is released in the next few days.

exactly. i think at this point Matrix needs to intervene, delay the game indefinitely and go the Solecismic route saying "it'll be released when it's ready". you just can't continually make official release dates and delay them for all of infinity. that is no way to run a company. Matrix really needs to put a gag order on the developer and his wife and say "no official announcements regarding the game will be made unless it's first ran by us".
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #1558
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Did anyone test this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
My theory is that the testers are blind monkeys who throw their feces at their computers. But, like evolution, it's just a theory. [img]images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:02 AM   #1559
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

I know i'm backing a losing horse in this race but I for one hope they make a decent game out of this, if for no other reason that to shove it up the ass of everyone here who has jumped on the bandwagon of bashing the efforts of the developer, as messed up as they may be.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:03 AM   #1560
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Seriously, has there been a single video, screenshot, or "dynasty" of the gameplay that has not identified a problem in the game?

And we're not talking nit-picky stuff here. We're talking about moving 1st down markers, teleporting tacklers, players throwing for 450 yds, rushing for over 300 yds!

And you would think that Matrix would be posting the absolute BEST videos and screenshots that they could, right? And yet we've picked up on numerous game issues from these. Did anyone test this game?

Screw testing the game, the least they could do is test the screenshots and videos.

I didn't have that big of a problem with their hollier than thou attitude towards text sims at first, but the obvious constant lying about not only the release date (yeah it happens) but saying something is gold and only needs a video added... then have your lead tester talking about receiving builds 2 and 3 times a week when the game was gold 2 weeks ago?
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:06 AM   #1561
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911
I know i'm backing a losing horse in this race but I for one hope they make a decent game out of this, if for no other reason that to shove it up the ass of everyone here who has jumped on the bandwagon of bashing the efforts of the developer, as messed up as they may be.
You reep what you sow...

Seriously, even Stevie Wonder could see that this team has brought this on themselves.

That being said, as others have stated, if this game surprises us and turns out to be something fantastic and worth attention, we'll all go buy it eventually.

I for one (and many others too I bet) hope it does suprise us, but it just doesn't seem likely..

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 02-27-2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #1562
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
You reep what you sow...

Seriously, even Stevie Wonder could see that this team has brought this on themselves.

That being said, as others have stated, if this game surprises us and turns out to be something fantastic and worth attention, we'll all go buy it eventually.

I for one (and many others too I bet) hope it does suprise us, but it just doesn't seem likely..
Yes you reap what you sow but I mean really... This thread is overkill to the nth degree.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:08 AM   #1563
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Holy crap. They have released 2 videos of the gameplay, a writeup by Eric of 2 games that he played, and a small handful of screenshots.

And what have we learned from this very small amount of data?

1) The first down calculations are broken.
2) The game engine will not produce anything close to authentic results out of the box.
3) MF likes to steal logos from colleges and USFL teams.
4) David apparently doesn't know how to spell his own name.

There's more, but at this point it just feels like piling on.

It's quite funny in a sad, pathetic sort of way. I think I could have done a better job of beta testing just by looking at screenshots and the videos...
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:09 AM   #1564
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Even better. So instead of a linear regression of Football as Flexibility increases, there is a logrithmic decrease of Football as Flexibility increases.

Actually, the football decreases if either flexibility or maximum-ness increases.

Football = -Maximum(Flexibility+1)

It already starts out negative if Max and Flex are positive. Which means anything they do will only make it worse.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:11 AM   #1565
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Yes you reap what you sow but I mean really... This thread is overkill to the nth degree.

Hey, at least most of us have kept the real harsh, in-depth criticisms off of the max-football pages. If there was a 32 page masterpiece over there I'd see it a little more.. but in reality we're just having a little fun over here on FOFC and bringing up some honest to goodness legit questions that would cause threads to be locked over there.

Quote:
Old 02-27-2006, 11:19 AM   #1566
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:

I would quote the comment from Dutch(?) that SkyDog usually quotes to these kinds of comments about us being too harsh, but honestly I'm too lazy to look it up.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:31 AM   #1567
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
Actually, the football decreases if either flexibility or maximum-ness increases.

Football = -Maximum(Flexibility+1)

It already starts out negative if Max and Flex are positive. Which means anything they do will only make it worse.
I'm glad I'm home sick today, otherwise I would have to exaplain to my coworkers why I was laughing uncontrollable for about five minutes.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #1568
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I would quote the comment from Dutch(?) that SkyDog usually quotes to these kinds of comments about us being too harsh, but honestly I'm too lazy to look it up.
I actually didn't mention being too harsh. I think (some) of the concerns brought up here are very valid. Its just the fact bthat it has gone on for what, 37 pages now? And Skydog...well..this is the same guy who implied that I am defending the developer because I am also Canadian. So I take what he says with a grain of salt.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #1569
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daivd
2. Okay, my ignorance about US College is showing here so forgive me. I thought Georgia Tech used a bull dog logo. When my artest presented these graphics to me I had no reason to suspect it was close to any other logo. The bee, although modified, is probably too close for use so we'll pull that out. Thanks for making us aware of that.

This made me LOL.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:40 AM   #1570
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
When my artest presented these graphics to me I had no reason to suspect it was close to any other logo

Ron Artest is an artist?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:40 AM   #1571
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
This made me LOL.
What a WORLD-class nimrod that guy is.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:44 AM   #1572
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Well, when 12 of the Canadian teams use the Rough Rider mascot, it can be hard to try and keep track of a bunch of different mascots, if you aren't used to it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:45 AM   #1573
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
What a WORLD-class nimrod that guy is.

I'll admit that it was pretty ignorant of him, but I give him credit for coming right out and saying he didn't know and that seeing the GT Bee that he believes it is too similar. So I'll give him that much credit, that it may have been due to ignorance of NCAA logos rather than the trying to copy someone's logo.

But what does this mean for the box art?!

Quote:
Old 02-27-2006, 11:48 AM   #1574
KWhit
Coordinator

So the graphical designer that they hired just pilfered existing logos and submitted them as his (or her) own work? That's fantastic!
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #1575
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Ablert Einstein's theory of Maximumosity:

e=mf²

e = release date in UNIX time
mf = speed of bullshit
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #1576
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
I actually didn't mention being too harsh. I think (some) of the concerns brought up here are very valid. Its just the fact bthat it has gone on for what, 37 pages now? And Skydog...well..this is the same guy who implied that I am defending the developer because I am also Canadian. So I take what he says with a grain of salt.

Sorry, thought your use of overkill was in regards to us being too harsh not about the thread length. The board is very active, so something like this generates a lot of opinions, comments, limmericks, etc. If you want something less active, you can always check out the Max Football boards.

As far as the quote, you'll notice I said it was from Dutch not SkyDog (SkyDog just quotes him). Of course, you probably would have the same opinion of Dutch as you do SkyDog.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #1577
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Wait until it gets to 50 pages. I think the best is still to come.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:33 PM   #1578
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Did anyone test this game?
No one knows. Every time someone asks that questions over on the MFer boards, Erik loses his mind and locks the thread.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #1579
st.cronin
General Manager

Another day, another two pages (before lunch). This is the Golden Age of FOFC.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:39 PM   #1580
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Looking over the Matrix boards this morning, I see that playoffs are handled manually? The more I hear, the more I think this isn't actually a game but just a framework for people to develop mods. Sadly, based on the screenshots, videos and things that have been pointed out (like the down and yardage errors!)...it looks like the framework is incredibly weak.

At first, I felt sorry for Matrix...now I feel sorry for people who buy this game expecting a $40 or $50 game.

Thanks to me! Anyone wanna join my losers league? Or maybe we can just play a few games in the regular season, then decide who gets in the playoffs based on a coin flip. If we're lucky, we can decide who WINS the plaoyffs based on a coin flip, too.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:42 PM   #1581
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No one knows. Every time someone asks that questions over on the MFer boards, Erik loses his mind and locks the thread.

If that pattern continues, it is going to effect my opinion of Matrix and make me less likely to buy future games from them.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #1582
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'm not even remotely interested in George Tech, but I have to get this off my chest.

It's a friggin' yellowjacket not a friggin' bee.

Thank you.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:53 PM   #1583
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Just wondering, will there be a downloadable demo for this game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
Not initially, simply because all development time is focused on the release, but I expect we may release a demo a couple of months after release.
Yay! When is a few months after Never?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:54 PM   #1584
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oo oo! According to the Poll, it's when the trouts take over...
Old 02-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #1585
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Neverember?

Ok, that's bad but I never said I was a comic.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:57 PM   #1586
Passacaglia
Coordinator

My bet is that they way they fix this first-down problem is with MORE CUSTOMIZATION! After each play, you'll simply tell the game how many yards they have to go, what down it is, maybe you can even "correct" the game to let it know how many yards were actually gained on the last play!

It's like on Seinfeld, when Kramer was running Moviephone: "Why don't you just tell me what movie you'd like to see?"
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #1587
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Thanks to me! Anyone wanna join my losers league? Or maybe we can just play a few games in the regular season, then decide who gets in the playoffs based on a coin flip. If we're lucky, we can decide who WINS the plaoyffs based on a coin flip, too.

Some said you're starting a polish league... that one I'm in!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:59 PM   #1588
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I heard Maximum Football got a 3 on the Wonderlic.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:05 PM   #1589
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
I heard Maximum Football got a 3 on the Wonderlic.

I thought you got a 6 by just knowing how to spell your name, DAIVD is how you spell it right..????
Old 02-27-2006, 01:06 PM   #1590
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
So the graphical designer that they hired just pilfered existing logos and submitted them as his (or her) own work? That's fantastic!
I have a feeling Daivd Winter did all of the graphics himself, which would explain why they are so terrible.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:10 PM   #1591
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

RE: Policy on Licensed Uniforms/Leagues - 2/27/2006 5:32:02 PM
David Winter
Matrix Elite Guard

A few things in this thread that need to be addressed so I'll try to do them all in one post.

1. Midwave. Yes, you've emailed me about the indoor league you have permission to do artwork for. I am sure if you can get Matrix and myself a copy of the agreement (a signed letter would be best) then I'm sure we can accomodate you putting those logos on the board. As long as we're satisfied permission has been granted.

2. Okay, my ignorance about US College is showing here so forgive me. I thought Georgia Tech used a bull dog logo. When my artist presented these graphics to me I had no reason to suspect it was close to any other logo. The bee, although modified, is probably too close for use so we'll pull that out. Thanks for making us aware of that.

3. Shaggyra: Yes, this wasn't noticed until now. I certainly didn't at anyrate.

4. Toddzilla: I was asking him to explain more clearly his point about George Tech. No reference to logos was made, no reference to team names was made. No reference to anything other than a school was made. Hence my comment.

< Message edited by David Winter -- 2/27/2006 7:05:46 PM >

(in reply to Toddzilla
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:11 PM   #1592
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
My bet is that they way they fix this first-down problem is with MORE CUSTOMIZATION! After each play, you'll simply tell the game how many yards they have to go, what down it is, maybe you can even "correct" the game to let it know how many yards were actually gained on the last play!

You know, I don't know how far that might be from reality.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:11 PM   #1593
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

oops, already beaten to the punch on that.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:12 PM   #1594
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
I have a feeling Daivd Winter did all of the graphics himself, which would explain why they are so terrible.
I doubt it. I'm an engineer, I work with engineers, and I only WISH my pathetic artwork attempts looked that good. I mean, have you SEEN my utilities? One of these days someone is finally going to take pity on me and create some icons for them...
Old 02-27-2006, 01:13 PM   #1595
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAIVD
- I've done development testing and a smoke test to ensure the game runs but leave the unbiast testing to the testers. 'Claimed fixed' just means I think I fixed it, it doesn't mean it is.

I give to you the reason this game, if it ever comes out, is going to be more bug ridden than FPS 99. People that write code like that deserve to be punched in the face.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:14 PM   #1596
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
I doubt it. I'm an engineer, I work with engineers, and I only WISH my pathetic artwork attempts looked that good. I mean, have you SEEN my utilities? One of these days someone is finally going to take pity on me and create some icons for them...

Maybe you need to steal someone else's work and change the color and then call it your own.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:16 PM   #1597
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Well, he had to be doing SOMETHING for the past 5 years. (If that "game" is 5 years worth of just programming.....damn...that's all I can say).

Last edited by sabotai : 02-27-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:18 PM   #1598
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAIVD
- I've done development testing and a smoke test to ensure the game runs but leave the unbiast testing to the testers. 'Claimed fixed' just means I think I fixed it, it doesn't mean it is.
Umm....what the hell is a "smoke test"?
Old 02-27-2006, 01:19 PM   #1599
rkmsuf
Head Coach

If the game makes sense when he's high?
Old 02-27-2006, 01:19 PM   #1600
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Umm....what the hell is a "smoke test"?

He turns the game on and lights a cigarette. If he gets to the intro screen, the tests passes.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote