Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-26-2016, 11:20 PM   #1
Suicane75
Coordinator

You Make The Call #1

Part of our new weekly series here at FOFC. I'll give you a scenario, you tell me how you would handle it.

So I had a bunch of friends over today and we decided to order food. Went to the local pizzerias website and placed a fairly big order. Total came to $46. This included a $1.50 delivery charge.

I collected all the monies and took my $46 to the door. Upon giving the delivery guy the money, he counted it and told me that the delivery charge was not included. He was lying.

I took $2 dollars off of the kitchen table and handed it to him, wishing him a nice day.

What would you have done?

Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:23 PM   #2
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

If the website or email receipt shows the delivery fee is included, I show it to him, take his name down, and give his boss a call/email.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:23 PM   #3
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Id have given him a 50 and told him to keep the change. Possibly more depending on the weather and time of day. Drivers are paid to do that job but not real well because the business are banking on them getting tip money unfortunately.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-26-2016 at 11:26 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:35 PM   #4
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

As a former delivery driver and supervisor of them, I can tell you that I'd be ticked at anyone who did what this driver did. Rule #1 is service, an obvious part of which is don't lie to the customer. What he did is grounds for termination.

They do make their living largely off tips, but that doesn't justify lying. I'd feel like a jerk for not tipping in the first place, but frankly that's beside the point. I ask to see the receipt, point that out to him, and possibly call the store about it depending on his attitude and reaction.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:39 PM   #5
larrymcg421
Head Coach

What would I have done? If I'm...

1) You - I would've tipped him in the first place.
2) One of your friends - I would've asked why we're not including the tip in the amount that we're splitting. If everyone else was being a cheapskate, I would've covered the tip myself and made a mental note to never order pizza with you again.
3) The driver - I wouldn't have made up a lie, but I'd be pretty pissed that a group of people couldn't pony up like an extra $1 each for a decent tip on a $46 order.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:42 PM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

That's cheap! Our local Imo's charges a $4 delivery fee.. and we still give them an extra $2-$3.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:49 PM   #7
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Hold on, there wasn't a tip already calculated in?
Old 11-27-2016, 12:00 AM   #8
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Hold on, there wasn't a tip already calculated in?

Yes, there was. Well, there was a "delivery charge", which I guess you could argue is different than a tip. But his exactly quote to me was "delivery charge isn't included". I never looked at the physical receipt, but the online receipt had the $1.50 included in the $46 charge.

Now, here's a caveat to the story that I didn't include in the original post. I never tip this guy. He's the owners son and he drives up in a souped out trans am. Maybe I'm being classist, but I feel like the included delivery charge is fine enough in this situation. There are other places around here that deliver, and I'll gladly tip them $3-5 every time because I know they're just doing it to make ends meet/get extra cash.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:01 AM   #9
Suicane75
Coordinator

And despite being pissed in the moment, I never looked at the physical receipt as I just tossed it in the garbage after I paid and went back to watching UM/OSU.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:16 AM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I would have handed him the pizzas and told him to hand me back the exact money I gave him, which would have been either in his hand or at the very top of wherever he keeps it. Then I would have counted it out in front of him. And assuming it turns out he lied, I would pay for the pizzas only, no tip and inform the little shit that by the time he gets back to the pizzeria, I will have already spoekn with his supervisor.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:12 AM   #11
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I couldn't imagine not tipping a delivery guy $5 minimum..... no matter who his dad is.

It cost more than that for him to drive there.

Now if he lied to you, I'd also document it to his employer. In SC there was a case several years ago where a driver was charged with theft by deception for this very thing. Now he was habitual and did it dozens of times on camera but the premise remains.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:15 AM   #12
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
He's the owners son and he drives up in a souped out trans am.

Then I definitely tip him because he's gonna need to get gas at least 2-3 times before he gets back to the restaurant.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:54 AM   #13
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Now, here's a caveat to the story that I didn't include in the original post. I never tip this guy. He's the owners son and he drives up in a souped out trans am. Maybe I'm being classist, but I feel like the included delivery charge is fine enough in this situation. There are other places around here that deliver, and I'll gladly tip them $3-5 every time because I know they're just doing it to make ends meet/get extra cash.

Meh, work is work.

I'd tip anyone the same way for the same amount of service. I don't know anyone's full background.

Although I should let it be known I hate tipping in general and I try to avoid transactions where I'm expected to tip.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:21 AM   #14
digamma
Torchbearer

$50 or $55, keep the change.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #15
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
$50 or $55, keep the change.

Even if the guy lied to you?
Old 11-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #16
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Yeah- if i'm looking at this story and trying to decide who the "bad guy" is....

it's you guys.....

for not tipping on a $46 dollar order.. if you don't feel like giving a tip, go pick it up yourself...

Last edited by Landshark44 : 11-27-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #17
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

If you tipped, the guy probably does not lie about the delivery charge.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #18
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

That's really no excuse
Old 11-27-2016, 09:01 AM   #19
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'll also add that I used to deliver pizzas myself
Old 11-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #20
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

It never gets to that point.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:56 AM   #21
TroyF
Coordinator

1 - I would have tipped no matter who the dad is or what the car is. He's delivering pizzas, that right there should tell you he isn't a spoiled idiot who doesn't have to work because daddy is rich.

2 - Maybe this is just me being naive. Actually I know this is me being naive, but it's a way I try to live my life. I would not assume the driver was lying. Maybe he didn't understand the website added it in. Maybe it's a new thing they just started doing. You said you don't tip this guy and why, so my question is this: Has he ever given incorrect information before?

3 - If I was concerned about the lying, I wouldn't ever get into a confrontation with him about it. Don't tell him anything. Simply call up the supervisor after he leaves, explain what happened and move on.

4 - I'll agree 100% with Larry on the being a friend part. I would have covered the tip and tried like hell to make sure I was never with that person when a tip was needed again.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #22
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Yeah, I can't fathom not tipping. In a case with the worst delivery/service I tip 20%. Better and it goes up.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #23
Dutch
"Dutch"

I have always given at least $5...sometimes more. No need for the delivery driver to ever lie if you are respectful in the first place.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #24
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Did you get a receipt? What does it say about the delivery charge?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #25
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: But it really shouldn't have come up to begin with. Would have thrown $55 to the driver to start with and the story would have ended there.

Only if I had that driver before and he was a total dick would be the only reason for a change in that.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #26
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The service industry is a lousy place to work in. Point of service people get yelled when it often is not their fault. There have been a couple of times when the people taking the order or making it ssreweed up, o the delivery person. They were prompt, and I send the food back, but still tossed them a bunk or two for their speed. Like working customer service. People are angry at the things not working or whjatever, but you are the one they take it out on, you know?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:40 AM   #27
Drake
assmaster

On a $46 order, I would have tipped $14. I always tip to round numbers and aim for something in the vicinity of 20%, erring on the generous side.

I was never a waiter but did my time in food service. I always figure I'm making up for the people who don't tip -- of whom there seemed to be plenty, from what I heard from the wait staff.

The benefit to me is that I tend to get great service at the places where I dine regularly.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:44 AM   #28
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I'm almost positive that the driver doesn't see any of the delivery charge. That's the premium you pay to the business to cover the $2 an hour or whatever the pizza place is paying the driver so you can have delivery.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:02 AM   #29
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I'm almost positive that the driver doesn't see any of the delivery charge. That's the premium you pay to the business to cover the crazy insurance rates they have to carry to cover employees driving on the clock.

FIFY
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #30
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

First things first - are you absolutely certain the tip was on the receipt, I've thought I've tipped pizza drivers when I've purchased before but not clicked the right 'update' button or something when ordering so its gone through as $0 instead ...

Second is I generally tip $5 at least, seems tight to tip less than that considering chances are he's had to drive a reasonable distance/time to deliver the pizza and as a proportion of the order cost its fairly small, heck its not like he's paid a lot ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #31
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I have an owner who delivers to us. I'm always impressed by his work ethic and always tip him well even though he drives a very nice vehicle. He always treats us well in return.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #32
TLK
Pro Starter

Always heard that the delivery charge went to cover the insurance for the driver/business.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #33
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
if you don't feel like giving a tip, go pick it up yourself...

I probably would have picked it up myself.

Of course, I still probably would have tipped some on the order.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #34
Suicane75
Coordinator

I guess it's pretty clear that I was in the wrong here. I'll accept that.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #35
cuervo72
Head Coach

Please don't let that dissuade you from continuing with future installments.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #36
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I guess it's pretty clear that I was in the wrong here. I'll accept that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Please don't let that dissuade you from continuing with future installments.

Unless you were just looking for sympathy. But it was nice if you to share.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:30 PM   #37
Suicane75
Coordinator

Not at all. It's just interesting to get perspectives. To me, the guy is a douche and this further cemented it. But to outside eyes, I was being an asshole to begin with. I always tip very well, but this guy has just rubbed me the wrong way since he took over. But I completely understand where everyone else is coming from.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:45 PM   #38
General Mike
Pro Starter

In general I don't get food I order delivered, but if I did I would have a set amount in mind that I was gonna hand the delivery person, and tell them to keep the change, it wouldn't matter who delivered the food, whether it was the owner, the owner's son or my own brother.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #39
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Delivery fee is just a tax that the business uses to cover expenses. Our drivers get something like 25 cents a mile for delivery. Some places probably get a flat rate for a delivery. You should always tip the driver, something like 5$ minimum. I wouldn't necessarily make it percentage based. From experience, you get must better service from the drivers if you aren't a known "stiffer". For example, your food will get much more of a priority.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #40
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Part of our new weekly series here at FOFC. I'll give you a scenario, you tell me how you would handle it.

So I had a bunch of friends over today and we decided to order food. Went to the local pizzerias website and placed a fairly big order. Total came to $46. This included a $1.50 delivery charge.

I collected all the monies and took my $46 to the door. Upon giving the delivery guy the money, he counted it and told me that the delivery charge was not included. He was lying.

I took $2 dollars off of the kitchen table and handed it to him, wishing him a nice day.

What would you have done?

If he was lying.....then gets nothing....I almost always tip, even with mediocre service....but lying to me is a dealbreaker
Old 11-27-2016, 02:54 PM   #41
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I would worry if you have stiffed him multiple times about the condition/extra toppings added to the pizzas. Worth a store pickup on that alone.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote