Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2016, 12:21 AM   #51
Balldog
Pro Rookie

My favorite version is 6.51 or whatever it was. It was still simple enough to enjoy. If I could easily get updated rosters I would roll with that today.

I did get a lot of run from '16 but nothing compares to how much I played 6.51

Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:46 AM   #52
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

OOTP is as simple or as complex as you want to make it. I play with one level of minors, a smaller draft (just 5 rounds) and a salary cap. I infuse the league with a bunch of cash to encourage teams to spend.

I don't do rule 5. I don't do waivers. I don't have multiple foreign leagues running. I have injuries on low.

I bookmark 5 pages or so for easy access, like top minor league systems, the financial report and my salary obligations for the upcoming years.

By simplifying things to this degree, I can knock out a season in an hour or two depending how many injuries my team has or how many trades I have to make.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:04 AM   #53
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
OOTP is as simple or as complex as you want to make it. I play with one level of minors, a smaller draft (just 5 rounds) and a salary cap. I infuse the league with a bunch of cash to encourage teams to spend.

I don't do rule 5. I don't do waivers. I don't have multiple foreign leagues running. I have injuries on low.

I bookmark 5 pages or so for easy access, like top minor league systems, the financial report and my salary obligations for the upcoming years.

By simplifying things to this degree, I can knock out a season in an hour or two depending how many injuries my team has or how many trades I have to make.

The financials and AI still stink. I think this is a factor of Markus having to create an AI that can be universally ported into all different types of leagues. It has to work in a small league like yours and a giant universe that some people want.

I'm in the boat where 6.51 was my favorite game. I understand there were necessary changes like how simming was done that needed to be made. But the financials and AI were better in that game for an MLB universe than they are over a decade later. I guess I feel the focus should have been on improving what 6.51 was instead of trying to make it Football Manager for the sport of baseball.

FM works that way because there are hundreds of leagues that people want to play with that all sort of intertwine. Baseball is a predominately American sport (from a professional standpoint). Create your ML universe with full minors and perfect how that universe runs. Perfect the financials, perfect the computer AI. It's baseball.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:58 PM   #54
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Is there no iOOTP/mobile version this year?
Old 03-17-2016, 03:25 PM   #55
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

https://secure.twitch.tv/ootpdevelop...78792?t=47m50s

Game in action.. I'm actually surprised at how cool this looks in action. Also love how the player name cards are there before the pitch too.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #56
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Is there no iOOTP/mobile version this year?

They changed the name to MLB Manager. Reading the official OOTP message boards, it seems like its in the works.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #57
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Received my email a little bit ago.. need to act sick around the boss.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:18 PM   #58
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Dola...

Imported my v16 league and played a game via 3D.. I can already see I'm going to get attached to these little pawns... haha. It's very neat right now and it's only going to continue to evolve!

Speed of the game is much faster.. so far, so good.

I've never seen it so quiet on FOFC with an OOTP release..
Old 03-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #59
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I think I will pass and plan to buy next year.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:34 PM   #60
frnk55
High School Varsity

I know I'm not alone but the new features just don't do it. I sim my games and my pc is fast enough and don't give a rats ass about all the minor leagues.
This has got to be the dullest OOTP release ever. I hate saying that cause I love the game.
Maybe some new feature will catch my eye but I'm staying with 16.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #61
lungs
Pro Rookie

Got it downloaded, will probably fire it up after Wisconsin's game.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #62
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Dola...

Imported my v16 league and played a game via 3D.. I can already see I'm going to get attached to these little pawns... haha. It's very neat right now and it's only going to continue to evolve!

Speed of the game is much faster.. so far, so good.

I've never seen it so quiet on FOFC with an OOTP release..

We're generally not the target audience anymore. But with an MLB license and a whole ton of new folks getting into the game, he doesn't really need us.

I'll get a copy even though I said I wouldn't, because I do end up getting a hankering to play the game sometime in the summer every year and let's be honest, I've played console games (though not for years) that annoy me far more than OOTP does and those developers don't give an fucks about what I want/think or otherwise.

So you know, it's all good.

But at a certain point, you can only get so excited about stuff that doesn't really move the needle for you.

Shrug.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #63
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I just play a normal MLB style sim and I still feel like I'm his targeted audience. We all play differently though.. so who knows.

I guess FOFC has lost a good amount of members too as the years pass by.

Support your text sim developers I always say!
Old 03-18-2016, 09:09 PM   #64
lungs
Pro Rookie

Didn't think the 3D would be much of a selling point for me but after playing a historical exhibition between 1957 Milwaukee Braves and 1982 Milwaukee Brewers, I think I might like it and play out more games with this version. There are a few quirks that I see so far (plays at the plate) but it looks like something they can build on.

I'm normally a sim through a season in one or two sittings type of player with a fictional universe I created. Usually I start from scratch when a new version comes out but I've got 95 years in a OOTP16 league that I've been playing right up until 17 came out so I've imported that universe.

Last edited by lungs : 03-18-2016 at 09:09 PM.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #65
General Mike
Pro Starter

Started my typical 1980 historical league with the Mets, but put the full minors thing on. Overwhelmed. But Strawberry
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #66
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Got bored and decided to customize the starting screen

Old 03-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #67
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Finally had a chance to download and kick the tires a bit.

Found the following points:

- The action on the field doesn't always clearly show what really happened. An example would be a line out double play where the lineout to second was obvious but the running being caught off base wasn't as there was a throw to that base but the runner was still standing on the base so I didn't initially think double play.

- Had one puzzling play where the 3D didn't trigger. Just the play by play.

- Crash to desktop in the middle of my first game.

- One pitch mode doesn't really let you feel "in the game" as many times the play happens before you see the count, minor quibble.

- While I understand that the play on screen is just a reflection of the play by play, there were a couple plays that really demonstrated that (would like the illusion that I am seeing the actual play being carried out). Each time it was related to runners advancing. Runner was advancing to third and the left fielder throws home. The throw reached the catcher before the runner even made it to third. Saw similar plays three times where the runner would have been an easy out with the right throw. Again, I know it is just representing the action but it kind of ruins the illusion of it being actually what happened.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:45 PM   #68
TroyF
Coordinator

I ended up having a very, very good night at poker and decided to purchase OOTP, like I always do.

First thing I did when I downloaded it last night was to have it run the history of baseball. Seasons at the beginning of that sim were going at about 1 minute per season, by 2015 it was at about 4 to 5 minutes per year. (Note, i have a powerhouse system)

It went better than any sim I had ever done in OOTP.

Here are some of the results for kicks:

Alex Rodriguez was drafted and spent the first 10 years of his career with the Colorado Rockies. The results were pretty good for Alex.

By the age of 27 (his last season as a Rockie), he had 453 HR and 1,532 RBI.

His best season was .378/.463/.696 line with 57 homers, 220 RBI and 186 runs scored. That 1999 Rockies team was pretty devastating on offense. It featured a 27 year old Chipper Jones, a 30 year old Gary Sheffield, a 24 year old Preston Wilson. All of this playing in pre humidor Coors Field. Alex is currently 40 years old, plays with the Mets and has hit 776 HR.

The DBacks beat the Angels in the World Series in 2015. They were led by Mike Trout. Trout has 2 MVP's and 5 all star berths in his five seasons. In 2014 he hit .339/.440/.603 with 35 homers, 108 RBI and 134 runs scored. (10.8 WAR)

Career leaders:

Hits: Stan Musial (3,828)
HR: Bonds (820)
RBI: ARod (2,614) Active
Total WAR: Arod (153.4) Active

Pitching:

Wins: Todd Ramsey (520)
Saves: Mariano Rivera (520)
Games Pitched: Mariano Rivera (1,192)
Strikeouts: Nolan Ryan (5,805)

The most dominant pitcher was Koufax. he pitched his entire career with Pittsburgh. He struck out over 5,200 guys and had a career record of 351-198 with a 2.52 ERA. he won 11 Cy Young Awards, 7 MVP awards, was a 16 time all star selection and led pitchers in WAR for 11 straight seasons between 1961 and 1971. He added another 63 shutouts.

Yikes.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:58 PM   #69
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I suckered my way back in too. Haven't started playing yet. Will report back.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #70
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Finally had a chance to download and kick the tires a bit.

Found the following points:

- The action on the field doesn't always clearly show what really happened. An example would be a line out double play where the lineout to second was obvious but the running being caught off base wasn't as there was a throw to that base but the runner was still standing on the base so I didn't initially think double play.

- Had one puzzling play where the 3D didn't trigger. Just the play by play.

- Crash to desktop in the middle of my first game.

- One pitch mode doesn't really let you feel "in the game" as many times the play happens before you see the count, minor quibble.

- While I understand that the play on screen is just a reflection of the play by play, there were a couple plays that really demonstrated that (would like the illusion that I am seeing the actual play being carried out). Each time it was related to runners advancing. Runner was advancing to third and the left fielder throws home. The throw reached the catcher before the runner even made it to third. Saw similar plays three times where the runner would have been an easy out with the right throw. Again, I know it is just representing the action but it kind of ruins the illusion of it being actually what happened.

Agree with all points.. especially the last one. It's a WIP and I know that, but there are plays like those above which kind of kills the 3D immersion at times. (or maybe they just really look goofy and have me yelling.. you could have thrown him out or why did my runner stay on 2nd base with the OF just picked up the ball at the wall)

I will also say.. there are some neat plays too, like DP's, throws around the horn on a K and watching the runners run in an arc to first as apposed to a straight line. I also see wind matters, which is kind of cool.

Not sure if speed, arm strength is represented in the 3D. Saw a rocket throw from OF, but the outfield arm rating was 5/10.

Couple other notes: imported my 16 league smack dab in the middle of the 2021 season and noticed a ton of RP put on waivers so I'm guessing some sort of RP value change. I also couldn't sim after a few games because an AI AZL team didn't have enough players (I went into commish mode and moved players from their other A teams over). That's about it other than having to add my baseball cards and award icons back in.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #71
MrBug708
Head Coach

How are you guys able to play? All I see is preorder and play on the 22nd?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #72
Comey
College Starter

The preorder allowed people to download on 3.18, while others of us are beta who have had the NDA lifted.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:04 PM   #73
MrBug708
Head Coach

So if I buy via steam, I'll have access?
Old 03-19-2016, 06:32 PM   #74
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You're in the dead zone, you had to preorder before 3/18. Now if you preorder, you'll get on 3/22
Old 03-19-2016, 06:38 PM   #75
MrBug708
Head Coach

D'oh. Oh well, I guess Im just stuck waiting and Im sure the itch will pass for a bit
Old 03-20-2016, 10:35 PM   #76
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

A little frustrating. Have tried another 7 game series between historic teams (waiting until full release to really do anything else with it) and twice now the game has crashed in the middle of a game (this last time was disappointing, a great series going between the 93 and 08 Phillies with game 4 in extra innings).
Old 03-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #77
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

My question would be, without the 3d presentation (which isn't a selling point for me) does this feel like a significant upgrade? Trying to decide if I want to buy tomorrow or just wait until either the All Star break sale or next year.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #78
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm pretty happy with the upgrade but then I'm pretty much a guaranteed buy each year.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #79
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

To me, it isn't much of an upgrade. If you play in GM only mode, they fleshed out some of the manager screens so you can see the positive and negative influence a manager will have on your team before you hire him. Plus you can see what lineup he would use for your team before you hire him. This helps add more flavor to the hiring process.

Also, GMs have personalities now. Meaning some prefer trading for prospects or some prefer trading based on stats rather than ratings etc. I haven't tested it out extensively to see how much of a difference it really makes.

Those are nice extra features, but I wouldn't say it is a significant upgrade.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:11 AM   #80
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Getting intermittent CTD when simming. It's something in the engine, it isn't tied to any particular date, and when I was trying to run a fictional historic league, it happens every year or two. I've set my league to auto-save every month
Old 03-22-2016, 07:14 AM   #81
spleen1015
Coordinator

I started a historical sim in 1901 over the weekend and simmed 20 years at a time up to 1961 and didn't get any crashes.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #82
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Weird. Maybe something with my computer, because crashes continue. One fictional league (2016) ran fine for 20 years, the other ones (fictional league starting 1903 ish) can't make two-three years before crashing to desktop

Last edited by SirFozzie : 03-22-2016 at 07:59 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #83
Barkeep49
Coordinator

So I buy this after not buying it in a decade or more. I tried to do the thing where you fantasy draft everyone. Found a button to click but it then only let me draft minor leaguers. Fine. So I try again with a MLB setup. I do GM only and take over the cubs (my team). I want it to be realistic so I say that Maddon gets to set the lineup. The AI has him choosing Shane Vicarino. REALLY? We have too many outfielders and yet Shane Vicarino is the one who gets the starting nod? With that I stopped playing. Not sure if I'll go back or not.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #84
spleen1015
Coordinator

OOTP doesn't know names. Just ratings.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:39 AM   #85
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
So I buy this after not buying it in a decade or more. I tried to do the thing where you fantasy draft everyone. Found a button to click but it then only let me draft minor leaguers. Fine. So I try again with a MLB setup. I do GM only and take over the cubs (my team). I want it to be realistic so I say that Maddon gets to set the lineup. The AI has him choosing Shane Vicarino. REALLY? We have too many outfielders and yet Shane Vicarino is the one who gets the starting nod? With that I stopped playing. Not sure if I'll go back or not.

I was just starting someting with the Cubs as well. I have in the settings to let me set the lineup. I just let the bench coach select the lineup and Victorino was not there.

the rest of the lineup wasn't that good. It has Baez playing over Russell and batting leadoff against both lefties and righties. Victorino is listed as the backup in LF (if starter is tired) and the backup in CF (every 10th game) against RHP. He's backup at both LF and RF against LHP (if starter is tired on both)

Still, a horrible lineup.

The major issues still remain. The finances are garbage and the AI managers are wonky. Like always, i'll play it for amonth and move on. Got this one with free money this year at least.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #86
TroyF
Coordinator

I'll add that tonight I'm running a fictional 100 year sim so things annoy me less. If I don't know the players of every team, I'm not as likely to pull my hair out. I'll manage my team and go from there. It'll be fun running a league with the same rules in each league and 100+ years of the same time period as well.

We'll see how that goes.

One positive note I've found so far. The draft is actually interesting now if you don't have one of the top 5 picks. A lot more 3/4 star players throughout the draft. Much more enjoyable IMHO.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #87
Ramzavail
College Starter

that's what I do. Keep your hair, play fictional.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #88
RainMaker
General Manager

OK I'm in. How is everyone liking the 3D stuff?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:08 PM   #89
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
OK I'm in. How is everyone liking the 3D stuff?

I say this as someone who will not use the 3D view very much.

it's pretty cool. Not perfect, but fairly smooth and cool to see the ball hit and the little eraser guys go after it.

The flow of the play doesn't always match up with what happens on the field.

For example: You have a runner on second, a hit to the OF and the CF throws it to SS. Sometimes the guy is barely rounding third and the SS keeps the ball. You see a routine GB to SS who flips it to 2B on the bag. The 2B holds the ball while the runner slowly makes his way to first. Obviously, what was programmed into the result is the ball was hit too slowly or the runner broke up the DP or. . . You don't get to see that. You see your SS hold the ball while you're screaming for him to throw it.

Other than that, it's a pretty cool little feature.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:11 PM   #90
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
The major issues still remain. The finances are garbage and the AI managers are wonky.

Shocked.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #91
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I always find the "why is this guy playing" argument in any sports sim as an amusing argument. So many times I see it being used as a reason why "the game sucks" but in most every time I see that the player starting has better ratings than the name guy. Of course the game will start the player in that case. Add to that the manager/coach ratings and it is quite possible that a poorly rated manager/coach views the ratings differently than you do (or values different ratings differently).

In most all cases the issue is a ratings issue and has nothing to do with the actual game itself.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:59 PM   #92
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I always find the "why is this guy playing" argument in any sports sim as an amusing argument. So many times I see it being used as a reason why "the game sucks" but in most every time I see that the player starting has better ratings than the name guy. Of course the game will start the player in that case. Add to that the manager/coach ratings and it is quite possible that a poorly rated manager/coach views the ratings differently than you do (or values different ratings differently).

In most all cases the issue is a ratings issue and has nothing to do with the actual game itself.

I agree with this and that's why my pc is powering through a 100+ year fictional sim right now. Especially with a game like OOTP that has ridiculous issues still pop up, I find my frustration level is so much lower when I'm not complaining that Player X didn't play enough or Prospect X is rated incorrectly.

I'll spend an hour or two tomorrow night just going through the history of my league and the players that played in it. I'll then start a career with a random team and when I look at their prospect list, I won't be screaming that they missed the 9th best player in the farm system.

I'll set the league as a template and be able to go back to that universe over and over with different teams. Much better than worrying about all the other crap.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #93
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I am trying to figure out whether I want to pick up my 300+ year old sim in this version of it I'm ready for a clean break historically.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:08 AM   #94
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:

Right. I recall when I first started doing QuickStarts with suggested settings, people would go NUTS over me setting the AI to use ratings very heavily in determining who starts, and to pretty much ignore previous-season stats. Uhhhhhhh, it makes the AI teams *better* when they do that, dummies. It's as if people would rather see the AI teams use weaker starting lineups. I'd rather the AI do everything it can to give me an actual challenging experience. If I am running a team and my guy who went .260-35-100 last year drops from 55/75/50 to 45/55/40 in the offseason, he's sitting if I have a better player. And I want the AI to make that same decision.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #95
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:

That's a fair point and something I didn't look far enough into but it was the second thing of frustration as I was trying to start the game that did it for me. Maybe simming out is the way to go.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #96
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Right. I recall when I first started doing QuickStarts with suggested settings, people would go NUTS over me setting the AI to use ratings very heavily in determining who starts, and to pretty much ignore previous-season stats. Uhhhhhhh, it makes the AI teams *better* when they do that, dummies. It's as if people would rather see the AI teams use weaker starting lineups. I'd rather the AI do everything it can to give me an actual challenging experience. If I am running a team and my guy who went .260-35-100 last year drops from 55/75/50 to 45/55/40 in the offseason, he's sitting if I have a better player. And I want the AI to make that same decision.

Any chance you're going to do this quickstart for 17?
Old 03-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #97
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Any chance you're going to do this quickstart for 17?
Probably.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:38 PM   #98
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm in year 2021.. started with version 16 with the real MLB QS for 2015 and I think the financials for the CPU teams have been fantastic and after FA there is never anyone sitting in there that's worth a crap unless they have a major injury. In fact, the whole MLB and minors only sim has held up pretty darn perfect for what I'm looking for.

I've been the GM of the Indians since 2015 and we have never even been to a World Series. I love that the owner has me doing all kinds of stuff each year to earn my pay, whether it be sign a player I was going to let go of, cut payroll or upgrade a position. Just adds to the immersion of the game.

Being able to identify a need in v17 and having GM's email trade possibilities is even more immersion as well as some other features this year.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:01 PM   #99
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

Yo BEL, I'm pretty sure I updated your old NABA quickstart to OOTP15 because someone asked for it.

So in case you wanted to use that shell, you could double upgrade it and have less work to do.

But you probably had the original anyway. (just occurred to me. still pushing send.)
Old 03-27-2016, 05:54 AM   #100
Ben E Lou

Yeah, sim speed is super-fast. Doing some testing with high stats detail and with antivirus on this morning. Using a 16-team league, it simmed 27 seasons in the first hour. With antivirus off yesterday evening, I rolled through 50 seasons in 72 minutes with the same config.

With that kind of speed in getting results, it's pretty much certain that I'll update the QS for version 17.