Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #2801
tarcone
Coordinator

Finished game day.
We played 7 Wonders, DC Deck building, Love Letter, Evolution, Thunder Alley, and we started A Game of Thrones. That one was going to be the high light of the session. We had 6. I was excited. We set it up. Got through 2 rounds and one of the guys said he had to leave to take his GF out. WHAT? Are you kidding? Game over. It took longer to set up, peruse the rules again and tear down, then the game itself. So disappointed.

But it was a fun day. I didnt win anything or come too close. But I still enjoyed myself.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #2802
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I played Star Realms for the first time this weekend. Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but it is a space themed deck builder. You and your opponent each start with 50 authority. The object is to drain the other player's authority.

You start with a standard set of 8 scouts (1 gold) and 2 vipers (1 attack). There is a trade row of 5 face up cards that players buy from. Additionally, there is a stack of Explorer cards which provide 2 gold, and if you trash the card, it provides 2 attack. Starting player has 3 cards and second player starts with 5. You play your hand similar to Dominion, and apply effects.

Most cards are ships that you play on your turn, and they go away. But the game also has base and outpost cards which stay in play until destroyed. These provide abilities you can use each turn. Additionally, outpost cards must be attacked before other bases or the player is attacked. The other benefit of bases is they always count as a card of a faction in play. Cards fall into 4 factions, and most have a bonus if they are played in tandem with another card of the same faction. For example, a Star Empire Imperial Frigate normally does 4 damage and forces your opponent to discard a card, but when another Star Empire card is in play, it deals 2 additional damage.

The factions and their strengths are:
The Blobs - High damage
The Star Empire - Moderate Damage and card draw or opponent discard
Machine Cult - Moderate Damage and trade, get to trash cards from hand or discard
Trade Federation - High trade, healing ability, and card draw

The game plays in about 20 minutes, and has a great amount of diversity. There is no single prevalent meta as each faction has their own strengths which can dictate the pace of the game if you are able to take advantage of them. Additionally, there are multiplayer options, FFA, Hunter (you can only attack the player to your left, or the bases of any player), Hydra (players are on a team and take turns together, but have individual decks), and Raid (one player is the boss and gets some bonuses, while the others are the Raiders trying to take him down). The only disadvantage of multiplayer is you need a set of main decks for each multiple of 2 players for the starting decks. But, the game was $15 at my FLGS so its not going to break the bank either. Also, decks and expansions are standard, so there is no collectible aspect to the game.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #2803
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I just ordered Letters from Whitechapel which I've heard great things about. Anyone have any experience that they can guide new players with?
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #2804
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
I just ordered Letters from Whitechapel which I've heard great things about. Anyone have any experience that they can guide new players with?

Get the app. There is an app that selects Jack's hideout randomly and includes difficulty levels from easy to hard. Then...don't select Easy. The difficulty rankings reflect Jack's difficulty. My first time playing, an experienced Jack selected his hideout such that on night 3 he was able to make a kill then make two moves to his hideout. On night four, the police didn't actually get a turn. There are a number of hideout locations that can allow Jack to pull this off, and well this totally ruins the game as far as I'm concerned.

This is the most stressful board game experience I've ever had. When you play as Jack, the tension is AWESOME. This also works as a two player game as well as with larger numbers of players.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #2805
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

AWESOME, thanks Glengoyne! I'm pretty thrilled as it arrives today.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:49 PM   #2806
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

A couple of quick notes:

Just started playing 7 Wonders (it's a few years old) and it's a big hit here. The two-player variant isn't going over as well as just playing with three. The big advantage is in simultaneous play.

Castles of Mad King Ludvig was a recent pickup, based on our love of Suburbia. It suffers from extraordinary long setup time (even worse than Suburbia), but the results seem more random, based on card order and room order/selection. You pick a strategy, you hope and you wait.

We've been playing a ton of Stone Age lately. It's a wonderfully balanced game and scales well for two or three. Next time I go last with three, I'm going to try starvation.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #2807
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Thanks for the tip on Letters from Whitechapel. My Bro-in-Law will love this game; getting it for his birthday.

Is the difference between the regular and the Duluxe Revised Addition worth it?
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:25 AM   #2808
mckerney
Coordinator

The revised edition is the FFG reprint that has some improved components, though I doubt anyone still has it from the original publisher new. I think it was out of print for quite a while before Fantasy Flight picked it up.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #2809
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

Got my new custom made board game table in from boardgametables.com

Here's some pics:

Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #2810
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That's awesome! What are the dimensions and what did it cost you?
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #2811
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

60x35 playing area, 66x41 external w/ arm rests

It cost roughly $1300, with other options it be about $500 more. But its good value, compared to other options.

boardgametables.com
Old 04-26-2015, 08:12 PM   #2812
tarcone
Coordinator

How high are the arm rests?

And what is the green material?

Last edited by tarcone : 04-26-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #2813
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
How high are the arm rests?

And what is the green material?

Arm rests are 2 inches high. The material is speed cloth. There are many colors to choose from. You also have like 5 options of wood.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #2814
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Even with the new table, I bet Eldritch Horror still kicked your ass
Old 04-27-2015, 08:20 AM   #2815
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Even with the new table, I bet Eldritch Horror still kicked your ass

Yep played my first game with the first expansion, and got hammered.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #2816
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The table looks sweet!

My group had a very similar result when we played our first game of Eldritch Horror with the expansion. It wasn't even close.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #2817
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

....Wait. You can LOSE at Eldritch Horror?

I didn't think that was possible. We certainly never have.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 04-27-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #2818
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

Yep, the first expansion makes things tougher. I have only played it solo w/ 2 investigators, as my gf and her son just don't like playing 3 hr games.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:36 AM   #2819
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
....Wait. You can LOSE at Eldritch Horror?

I didn't think that was possible. We certainly never have.

I was surprised too. I never had either until we fired up the expansion and then got spanked.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:35 AM   #2820
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Game geek x 100

Wargaming Room | Wargaming Workshop
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #2821
tarcone
Coordinator

Anyone going to Geekway to the West?

Old 05-23-2015, 03:13 AM   #2822
BYU 14
Coordinator

Played Game of Thrones 2nd edition tonight with my brothers and a couple of others that we regularly game with. A bit slow getting going, but once we all had a feel for the game it played real well. Seems simple at first glance, but the strategy involved in bidding on the tracks, playing orders, selecting house cards for combat and army/token management really make it an interesting experience. Not to mention the randomness that comes into play with a Westeros cards and the constant threat of Wildling attacks.

Definitely going in the rotation for our get togethers, really fun game and 3 hours fly by.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:59 AM   #2823
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Two days ago I had my Agricola debut, family variant. I never thought I'd like a worker placemen game, but it was interestingly enough enjoyable. It might have helped to play with a good group of people. I was a bit bummed to have made a couple of rookie mistakes in the last round that cost me the victory, but who wins shouldn't be important if a game is any good.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #2824
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I ordered Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death a couple days back, should get delivered mid-week. I'm looking forward to it a lot, though the mini's come unassembled. I played a bit of WH40K back in the day so I'm familiar with the process of assembling and painting, but I'm still hesitant. I don't think the assembly will be too bad, but as much as I would like to see the figures painted I doubt I'll get around to it. I'd have to buy mostly new supplies and then find the approximately 80,000 hours required. Not sure the wife and kids would be too keen about that
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #2825
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I ordered Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death a couple days back, should get delivered mid-week. I'm looking forward to it a lot, though the mini's come unassembled. I played a bit of WH40K back in the day so I'm familiar with the process of assembling and painting, but I'm still hesitant. I don't think the assembly will be too bad, but as much as I would like to see the figures painted I doubt I'll get around to it. I'd have to buy mostly new supplies and then find the approximately 80,000 hours required. Not sure the wife and kids would be too keen about that

I think that game would appeal to me, but I have not ordered the game because of just that - the unassembled / unpainted minis. Wish every game would just include player pieces like Mage Knight.

Last edited by ShaneTheMaster : 05-23-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #2826
tarcone
Coordinator

Went to Geekway to the West last weekend. What a very well run con. Pure gameplay. Huge library. Defeat play and win library. Lots of space.
Got in some monster games, met some new people and had a lot of fun.

I highly recommend this con. If you get a chance you should go.

And at the trade table, I put in Rommel in the Desert and got Ambush. Great pick up.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #2827
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Whoever said Thunder Alley was a good game wasn't kidding. I am super impressed with how fun this game is. Just wish I could get it to the table more often.
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #2828
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Got a game day tomorrow. Looking at possibly 7 player Eclipse (with the dual turn optional rule). Going to be epic.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #2829
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
Whoever said Thunder Alley was a good game wasn't kidding. I am super impressed with how fun this game is. Just wish I could get it to the table more often.

It was my game of the year. It plays well solo. In fact, I found 36 1/44 scale nascar cars on eBay and made empty Player cards and made my own teams.
Made a schedule and played a season.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #2830
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Played Star Realms the card game for the first time a few weeks ago. Enjoyed it because unlike a lot of those kinds of games, I could learn it in 30 minutes but it was challenging enough that you still can get beat. Looking forward to exploring some other card games and maybe some board games down the road.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:37 PM   #2831
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
It was my game of the year. It plays well solo. In fact, I found 36 1/44 scale nascar cars on eBay and made empty Player cards and made my own teams.
Made a schedule and played a season.

Solo huh..? How many teams at once? Any special rules or gameplay tweaks? I assume you simply play each team to the best of your ability?
Old 05-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #2832
tarcone
Coordinator

I used all the teams. No special rules or tweaks. Played each team to the best of my ability.
I have a good memory for forgetting the cards in the other teams hands. And I played it as honestly as possible, without any bias towards favorite color.
It was a good time. played a 10 race series. Kept total points for teams and individual drivers.
Really enjoyed it.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:01 PM   #2833
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Have read a lot on BGG that it plays very well solo. I'm waiting for the formula 1 version to do the same thing. I like the idea of buying scale miniatures to use instead.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #2834
tarcone
Coordinator

When you get Grand Prix, check out the purple team. I sponsored the team and drivers. I am the team owner and my daughters are the 2 drivers. I can't wait to get it.
And the new track pack for TA. 4 new tracks. With Grand Prix, that's 12 tracks. Imagine the season.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:47 PM   #2835
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Backed this one on Kickstarter since I backed Pillars of Eternity as well.

Pillars of Eternity Lords of the Eastern Reach

Already beat it's goal.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #2836
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Played some Dominant Species this morning with my roommate. I love the hell out of the game, but it is incredibly long. Two of us, moving at a fairly decent clip, and it still took nearly three hours.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:29 PM   #2837
tarcone
Coordinator

Dominant Species is available on the iPad. And they have an improved version coming out that you get for free if you purchase this version.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:28 AM   #2838
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I finished assembling all the mini's from Shadows of Brimstone over the weekend and completed the main rulebook and most of the immediately relevant content from the adventure book. I'm really hoping to play through the introductory adventure sometime this week. It seems like it should be tonnes of fun so I'm really looking forward to it.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #2839
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Played Formula De with my 8 year old today for the first time. She's a pretty conservative player (was worried about overshooting the corners even when she had options to do so), but overall it went pretty well. Great way for her to learn about odds/options as far as which dice to use. She was counting out spaces at the end to make sure she hit things just right.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:27 PM   #2840
tarcone
Coordinator

My Summer of solo gaming is about to start. Right now, Struggle for the Galactic Empire is set up and ready to be played. The rest of the list includes: Field Commander: Rommel, D Day at Tarawa, Ambush and a soon to be acquired, Raid on St Nazaire.

Going to be a fun Summer.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:04 AM   #2841
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
My Summer of solo gaming is about to start. Right now, Struggle for the Galactic Empire is set up and ready to be played. The rest of the list includes: Field Commander: Rommel, D Day at Tarawa, Ambush and a soon to be acquired, Raid on St Nazaire.

Awesome! Please post about your experiences with the games as the summer goes on...
Old 06-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #2842
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Played Caverna last weekend. Really liked it. Very very balanced game.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:09 PM   #2843
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sneak Peek at Wil Wheaton's RPG group:

First Look at Wil Wheaton's New RPG Show TITANSGRAVE - YouTube

starts tomorrow I think?
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:21 AM   #2844
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:

Great line-up! I really like Field Commander: Rommel. Just got in DVG's Tiger Leader and looking forward to getting into that sometime next week.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #2845
tarcone
Coordinator

Been awhile for this thread.

I picked up a few games on an auction on BGG.

I bought Cityfight: Modern Combat in an Urban Environment. This is a 2 player game that was published in 1979. It has been on my radar for a few years, but I never wanted to pay the price. Here is the game description:

Cityfight is a tactical simulation of post World War II combat in the urban environment. Placed in the role of platoon, company, or battalion commander, the player is faced with a wide variety of offensive or defensive missions to be carried out in a built-up area. The player must manage such specialized units as sappers, snipers, spotters, flamethrowers, and military police.

Limited intelligence with respect to the location of Enemy forces is a key characteristic of the game system. You can name it "double-blind" due to the fact that you just manage your own troops on your own map while your opponent is managing his forces on his own map. The opponent's forces have to be detected and then be marked with "known/unknown"-markers on your own map.

And I picked up March Madness. Another on my radar for a few years. A college basketball game produced by Avalon Hill. I love basketball games. And this one has always looked really cool.

I also picked up Statis Pro Basketball. While I own the game, the auction included The 1980-1990 seasons. That was what excited me. I got these 3 games for $85. Way less then I ever expected to pay.

In fact, When I clicked on the auction. I saw Cityfight, and was thinking cool. But then in the same auction he had March Madness. It was fate. I had to pull the trigger.

I am very excited about this. Now to quit collecting and start playing.

Anyone else get any games they have been looking at for awhile? Grail games or just wants?

Old 07-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #2846
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Colt Express is a game that has popped on my radar recently. Won the 2015 Spiel des Jahres (German Game of the Year) award, and looks intriguing. It's based on a wild west train heist theme, where the players are several different bandits robbing the same train, trying to become as rich as possible. It actually has a three dimensional train that the game is played out on. It's essentially like Robot Rally in that you play multiple cards which will dictate your movement before any of the cards are actually carried out - so while you may have a brilliant scheme hatched, once the moves start to play out the plan may backfire terrifically if someone else doesn't do what you are expecting them to do.

The components are supposedly top notch, and it's lightweight enough that the random nature of the game isn't a terrible thing.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #2847
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I'm hosting a game day on Saturday. 4 of us are starting at 2:00 and I have 3 more people coming over around 6:00.

With 4 we plan to play:
X-Com: The board game
4 person tournament of Baseball Highlights: 2045 (I'm really excited about this one)
Stockpile

When we have 7 my plans are to play:
Citadels
Good Cop Bad Cop
7 Wonders with the Babel and Cities expansion

Really looking forward to this! I'll report back to tell you how things went...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:10 AM   #2848
tarcone
Coordinator

How is the babel expansion?

Old 07-08-2015, 08:32 AM   #2849
QuikSand
lolzcat

If you don't yet own Carcassonne, there's a great price available:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7965839-carc...n-24-10-amazon

It remains my #1 board game overall.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:45 AM   #2850
revrew
Team Chaplain

A friend of mine invested in Cosmic Encounter. We've played a couple of games with 3 players, and I watched (got there too late to join) a game with 4. This has already shot right up to the top of my list. Love the simultaneous play, the constantly shifting strategy, the unpredictability. One of the few, intensely strategic games (which I love) I've found that also elicits laughter on almost every turn. Both intense and fun. Score.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote