Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
RedKingGold
College Starter

A thought on the NCAA 09 leagues

Perhaps I'm thinking about this the wrong way, but wouldn't it have made more sense to restrict the conferences so that more humans played against humans? Right now, assuming that I'm in a division with two other people, I will play two games against human opponents, and 9 vs. AI during a season. Why even play MP at that point?

Thoughts?

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Well for one it does allow the season to proceed smoother and quicker. I know from other leagues that I have been a part of that there is nothing more frustrating then to not be able to coordinate schedules with one player or not being able to move forward because of one player. I am not talking about same player specifically on these incidents but there is always something that keeps one player from proceeding. This leads to others not participating and or quitting and having to find other players to join.

Also you have the ability to schedule an OOC with another player and possibly play against a human in a bowl, which would be 4 games against a person during a season.

This method also allows several teams to be in the hunt for conference championships and allow human BCS matchup possibilities.

Also I like to think that this is a marathon and not a sprint to have the best team now. I think the recruiting battles between players in a dynasty may be more fun than the games.
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I agree with everything Mike said. We'll still be recruiting against each other and meeting up in Bowl games. I'll also be looking to play OOC games against people whose schedules mesh with mine.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Bingo...I think the 4 conference layout gives a league the most chance for long term success, in that not everybody's schedules have to mash with each others every year. I love the idea that we'll be recruiting for the same high school kids as each other. Especially now that my college is in California, I know a lot of people will try to recruit people away from my state. In all honesty they could have said "online dynasty exsists but we haven't figured out a way for people to play against eachother yet, so you can only be on teams who don't play against eachother but you can recruit against eachother" and I would have still been excited. Of course not nearly as excited as I am for this now, but excited nonetheless. I think once the leagues get up and running and we start progressing through the season and recruits start visiting, then signing, and conferences are won, and bowl bids are received, and we go through with the offseason recruiting, and a new season starts up...everybody will be engrossed in it. When I think of all of that going on, I get pumped. Probably more pumped than I have ever been for a video game since...I was 12 years old and I saw my first ever screenshot of some game called "World Series Baseball" that was due out in like a year. Playing 1/4 of my games against human opponents is plenty for me...plus I have a chance of playing in a conf championship and a bowl game against humans. All year I'll be recruiting against Human opponents for high school kids accross the nation...and say I land a 4 star HB that EF27 was dying to sign, and that next year he starts as a true freshman and runs all over EF in our inner conference matchup...how can I not get excited at just the possibility of that? Anyways I know I'm rambling on here, but my point is if a league isn't going to be fun for you (not "you" redkinggold specifically...but people with this train of thought) because you'll be playing 2-4 games a year against Humans instead of 3-5...then maybe you should seriously think about just being in a different league.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I'm really excited about the current setup. I don't want to play 12-13 games vs humans. The lag on NCAA 08 was pretty bad and I don't expect a huge jump in quality in 09. The thought of having to do that for every game makes my brain hurt. But I am excited that I can still play vs the AI most of the time and once every couple of weeks I'll message someone in my conference to set up a time where we can play our weekly game. It will give the league more longevity IMO.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
Galaxy
Coordinator

I think playing a non-conference competitor (Human) every few years, or more importantly in a bowl match up, would provide a lot more excitement and "giddiness".

Matching up against EF27 or Hell Atlantic in a bowl game (or even a national championship game) would be a lot more exciting than a regular season game. Not that they won't be exciting, but the stakes are a lot higher.

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-30-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
Anthony
Banned

i'd prefer to play more games vs. a human, but for scheduling purposes it'd make the league hard to play. the way we have it set up, no one guy got to pick a really good team that is heads and above better than the guy who got stuck having to pick Baylor. at least right now everyone gets to have the best 3 teams not rated over 80. the reason why some FOF MP leagues suck is their very nature demands that some teams will be the haves and other teams will be the have nots. some guys got one of the best top 5 QBs, some other teams got stuck with a horrible old guy. at least now we're all starting off on the same foot. if we did one mega conference of all humans, someone would be USC, someone else would be Oregon St. - is that fair? no.

i think this is a good tradeoff, but yeah, we really won't be playing that many games against humans in a given season as the game allows. crap happens i guess. i'll have a blast regardless.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
RedKingGold
College Starter

Good points. I'll admit that I've not done much XBox Live MP nor have been in a league as such, so perhaps I was underestimating scheduling concerns.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
Anthony
Banned

the only time i didn't have a problem doing something on a set schedule was last year with my really good friend. we're both married and understand video games are just for fun. if i ever needed to stop for an extended period of time (like 10 minutes or so) we would just both pause and come back. or, if something came up if either of us needed to quit playing altogether we would just offer a friendly quit. i'm not expecting that out of non-friends, so i don't mind not having to play a human every week. that means i would have to be glued to my tv playing the game and couldn't stop for at least an hour.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote