Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-20-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The Crown of the North - Crusader Kings Dynasty

Heya. Been playing CK for quite some time now, hopefully I have a grasp of things to do and stuff. I'll try to update this Diary as often as I can, but it probably won't compare to Izulde's CK diary.

December, 1066

Magnus Haraldsson Yngling stood in the balcony of his royal estate, the events of the past year had been a complete whirlwind.

~
In what should have been their Family's crowning moment: the invasion of Northern England, his father, Harald Sigudarson Yngling, had been mortally wounded by a stray arrow. The King was unable to gThe invasion soon ground to a complete halt, and the Norwegian invaders sailed back home. It was a cold September morning when he had received the news. He had been out hunting with Inge Galle, son of a wealthy merchant, and his closest friend.

"Do you know what this means, Magnus? YOU are the new King of Norway!" Inge spoke with a mixture of disbelief and awe.

Trying to fight the tears, Magnus nods his head. His father, the one man he looked up to in the entire world, was now gone.

The Late King of Norway
~

Harald did not have legitimate heirs in wedlock. His only children from his one true marriage were three girls. Only two lived, and one was married to the Duke of Orkney, one of his Vassals. He did have two sons by Thora Thorbergsdottir, both of them illegitimate. Magnus and Olaf, one year apart in age. The nobles did not want the Duke of Orkney to inherit the Crown, and logic dictated that the eldest male child should inherit the Crown of Norway.

The legitimate wife of Harald
Mother of the heirs to the Throne, living in Trondelag
Eldest daughter to Harald and Elizaveta, a courtier in the Western Isles
Harald's 2nd daughter, died as a child at the beginning of the year
Harald's youngest child, under the protection of her older brother, Olaf
During the two months that followed, the Crown of Norway was thrown up in the air. Harald had left one decree before his death, that his 2nd oldest son, Olaf, and not Magnus, would in fact inherit the Norwegian Throne. This split the noblement into two factions, those that supported Magnus, and his birthright to the throne, and those that supported Olaf's claim. While this was going on, the two brothers were being pulled in each and every direction by ambitious noblemen.

One night, in a cold November morning, Magnus and Olaf agreed to meet on the burial place of their father, the late King. And so, they stood before the grave of their father. Magnus was the first to speak.

"If father were alive today, he'd have all those noblemen hanged."

Olaf laughed. "Indeed."

Magnus turned to his brother, and buried all the pride he had.

"If it was father's wish for you to rule, Olaf... then so be it. The divisiveness must end here. Take the Crown, lead our people. I wish to quarrel no more."

It was on that day that the Norwegian Crown had been decided. Olaf Haraldsson Yngling would be the next King of Norway.

Olaf I, the King of Norway.
~

Magnus Haraldsson Yngling, eldest son of the late King Harald, Duke of Trondelag, Count of Naumadal and Halogaland, whose vassals were the Counts of Trondelag, Hdemark and Herjedalen, stood in the frigid night, thinking. He had given up his claim to the throne of Norway, to allow the Kingdom to be united. He had no doubt that Olaf would make Norway powerful. Magnus knew that he would one day regain the claim that he gave up on that fateful November morning. And when the time was right, he, Magnus, rightful heir to the throne of Norway, would take what was his and his alone... the Crown of the North!

Magnus, eldest son of Harald, rightful heir to the throne of Norway

Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 03:42 PM   #2
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, I just picked this up at EB so I will be reading with interest.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:20 AM   #3
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Magnus had surrounded himself with his friends as his courtiers. If there was one thing in life that he would admit to, it was being honest to his friends and vassals. Magnus was also a modest leader, he would rarely take the glory for himself, instead deferring to his courtiers. Many see this as a weakness, rather than a strength.

Inge Galle, many would consider as a completely useless chap, was a mainstay in the royal court of Trondelag.

Inge Galle, courtier and friend.
There were also three young women, friends from his childhood, his "consorts": Chancellor Thora Sparre, Steward Ragna Egge and Spymaster Gunnhild Kamp. All three handled the mundane affairs of the Duchy, and all three harbored feelings for their young master.

Gunnhild, the ever elusive spymaster.
Ragna, the Chaste Steward
Thora, the Chancellor
And there was Ale Kamp (not related to Gunnhild). He was more of a diplomat than a soldier, but was named Marshall nontheless. Ale had been a member of the court of Trondelag even before Magnus set foot inside. Many have questioned Kamp's motives during his time of service with Harald, but noone had dared accuse him of any wrongdoing.

Ale, the plotting Marshal
~

"My lord, here is our current situation." Said Ale Kamp as he unrolled a map of the Northern lands on the table. "Our best hope of expansion would be to the East. The Count of Jamtland could be persuaded to join our cause. Of course, should you or any of your historians should find a claim to his title, we have the righteous duty to claim Jamtland for the glory of Norway."

Map of Norway

"Right, Ale. And what of the pagans?"
"Ah yes... further east are the Pagan counties, Lappland and Angermanland. I would take care in claiming their land, however, your brother has a formidable army under his command, and he can easily take over any siege you may be planning. We should wait for an opportune moment before declaring open war against the heathens. And do not worry, I am certain that your vassals will follow suit."

"Indeed. Very well done, Ale. You are proving your worth in my court."

"I am only doing my job, my lord." Ale courteously bowed. "May I ask, have you found a bride yet?"

"Why, no, Ale... not yet. I actually have not thought about it at all."

"It is imperative that you produce an heir, m'lord. We cannot have what happened between you and Olaf happen once again."

"Of course, of course. I will see to it as soon as possible, Ale. Thank you for your concern."

~
Magnus and Inge were walking around the royal garden.

"I think you should find yourself a bride." Inge blurted out.

"A bride, Inge?"

"Yes, a bride."

"I suppose it is needed."

"Of course it is!"

"Yes, I should find a bride, then."

"You should! There has got to be someone in the kingdom that you like, eh? How about Gunnhild? She looks haughty and mean, but I'd bet she's as wild as a bearcat in the chambers! Or the ever so chaste Ragna? Or Thora? She's a real beaut!"

"Come on, Inge, be realistic. They're my courtiers, they serve me, nothing more, nothing less. If I marry, I'd want it to at least have some prestigious significance. I'll tell you what, you start sending out messages to Kingdoms, Duchies and Counties all over the land. I, Magnus Haraldsson Yngling, Duke of Trondelag, am searching for a bride!"

"You got it old chap! A bride it is!"
Old 08-21-2005, 12:51 AM   #4
Izulde
Head Coach

Very nice to see this and good start. Do keep it updated and maybe I'll get in the mood to fire off another update on mine before I leave Tuesday.

And kill that traitorous scum Olaf! Siege-stealing bastard that he is.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 01:48 AM   #5
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

"Your brother has named himself the Duke of Akershus." said Ale to Magnus as they were sparring with each other in a mock swordfight.

"I care not what he does in his own domain, Ale. What I do care about is Jamtland!" Said Magnus with a slash of his sword. "with my arranged marriage in less than a week... I want to have Jamtland under our power by the mid-year."

"I have already sent out messengers, my lord. Austmod Gudfastarson is not an idiot... he will keel to the boot of Trondelag."

Austmod of Freysey, brave to a point... hopefully not stupid.
"I certainly hope your right, Ale."

~

January 3, 1067

It was in the 3rd of January, 1067 that Magnus Haraldsson Yngling married Gro Svendsdottir Knytling, the daughter of Svend Knytling, King of Denmark. The prearranged marriage was one that would solidify the bond between Denmark and Norway, seeing as Olaf had also married another daughter of Svend, Ingrid.

The new wife. Daughter of the King of Denmark.
Speaking of the King...
~

January 7, 1067

"I, Austmod Gudfastarson, Magistrate of the free people of Jamtland do hereby decline your offer of Vassalization. It is not within the interest of my people to fall under the Norwegian crown." Said the messenger, as he read the scroll handed to him by his master.

"That bastard. That stupid bastard!" Screamed Magnus. "Tell your master this... that I, Magnus Yngling, Duke of Trondelag, have laid a legitimate claim on the County of Jamtland, and I am declaring open war... I will collect on my rightful claim, and I will not stop until he yields his position of power!"

The messenger is shaken, thinking he might have been practically dead when he read the message. He bows courteously to Magnus and quickly leaves, in fear for his life.

"Ale, marshal the troops... Jamtland WILL be mine."

~

The armies of of Naumadal and Halogaland are mustered, and so are the amries of Magnus' three vassals. All in all, a force of nearly 1200 men, led by Magnus Yngling is assembled and marches on towards Jamtland.

January 27, 1067

After a march of twenty days, the armies of Trondelag arrive in Jamtland. An estimate of about 1200 Norwegian troops against 200 Jamtland soldiers. It was a bloody battle, with both sides losing more than they bargained for. The Jamtland regiment fought to the last, and the entire battle lasted for 16 days.

February 12, 1067

All in all, about 100 soldiers from the Norwegian force died, and nearly every man from the Jamtland regiment. The siege of Jamtland was on, and many expected it would not be long until Jamtland would fall. A base camp is established, and a prolonged siege went underway.

"Sir, I have news... your brother has also laid claim to the County of Jamtland. His forces are on his way, they number about 2000 strong." Said a worried Ale.

Magnus grimaced and whispered to himself "Olaf..."

~

March 8, 1067

"Gro is pregnant!" shouted Inge, as he broke the news to Magnus, who was in the commander's tent. They had all spent about a month in the base camp now, with Magnus sending for his wife after the siege started.

Magnus was taken by surprise. "She is? I, I am to be a father? This is good news!"

"The healer told me to inform you of this, Magnus. It is a good omen! I am sure that Jamtland is near to fall!"

"I wish it were true, Inge... this is indeed a joyous day! We must celebrate then!"

The cheer inside the tent is broken, however, as a soldier enters. With a hint of disappointment, he speaks.

"My lord, the armies of Olaf have arrived! They have come to take over the siege."
Old 08-21-2005, 09:44 AM   #6
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Thanks for the comments guys. btw, I'm using the v1.04b June 3 beta.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:00 PM   #7
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

don't know this game at all, but I like where this dynasty 's going...keep it up!
Old 08-21-2005, 12:24 PM   #8
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

March 8, 1067

"Brother. Good to see you. Congratulations, I heard that Gro is pregnant! May you be blessed with a healthy male!"

Magnus was quite angry. He knew that Olaf saw this as an opportunity to steal away Jamtland, and without Jamtlad, he would not be able to successfully extend his domain towards the East into the pagan lands.

"Olaf... it is good to see you as well. I certainly hope that my first-born in a boy. And you? Is Ingrid carrying as well?"

"No, no, unfortunately. Not yet, that is. After this war is over and Jamtland falls, we will hopefully have time! Hahaha."

Laugh away dear brother. You will NOT take this victory from me.

"So, tell me, Olaf, how long do you suppose the Magistrate is going to hold out? We've been here a month, and with the addition of your troops... we might be able to finish him off by August or so."

"August? You must be kidding me, brother! I plan on not letting this siege go longer than June! I am proud of what you have done, you fought these men bravely, and have utterly crushed them! Now it is time for you to step aside and let the Kingdom itself handle Jamtland. Jamtland will fall, by siege or by force. Either way, we will not be delayed! Now, I must attend to the soldiers..."

As Magnus turned to leave Olaf's tent, Olaf put in a last word.

"Oh, and brother... I really am proud of you."

~

March 9, 1067

"My brother is an incompetent fool. As much as I love him, he is going to ruin this entire siege with his foolhardy tactics."

Magnus was in a fit of suppressed anger. He rarely displayed such emotion. Ale Kamp was a listening ear.

"My lord, perhaps it is time for your regiment to head back to Naumadal? Tend to your people. Let me take care of things here... after all, I am your marshal."

With a sigh of resignation, Magnus speaks. "Maybe you're right Ale. Inform the troops that the Naumadal regiment are to immediately set out back to our country. Let my brother have his moment of glory."

On March 9, 1067, the Naumadal regiment, led by Magnus Haraldsson Yngling, marched back towards Naumadal, headed for home.

~

June 10, 1067

After two months of sieging Jamtland, King Olaf Haraldsson Yngling and his military commanders have decided to put and end to it, and storm the castle itself.

"This is quite risky, my lord. You do not know how fierce these men are... we fought them in the battle field and they fought to the last man. They know no retreat..." Says Ale Kamp, Marshal of the Trondelag forces.

"Nonesense!" Olaf said. "Ale, you were a courtier in my father's army. You should know that our bloodine fears nothing and noone. We are going to invade the castle, and by dusk tomorrow, Jamtland will be mine. I want you, and the armies of my brother to remain here... once we give you the signal that the castle has fallen, march onwards and meet us in the castle."

And that is the one reason why your father is dead. The imbecile did not bother to listen to me when I told him that it was suicide to invade Northern England. Ale thought to himself, he then courteously bows. "Yes m'lord."

~

June 11, 1067

It is night, and a messenger runs across the great hall of the Fort at Naumadal. He is obviously tired, and from the looks of his shirt, he has come back from the battlefield at Jamtland.

Magnus was seated and holding a forum with several noblemen when the messenger barged in. The look on the messneger's face was unmistakable, that of grief and sadness.

"My lord! My lord Magnus! Ill news from the field of battle in Jamtland... Marshal Ale Kamp sent me... your brother, the King... he is... he is slain..."

The late King Olaf I of Norway, wounded and slain in the field of battle.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 08-21-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:58 PM   #9
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Foul play!
Old 08-21-2005, 04:52 PM   #10
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos
March 8, 1067

"Brother. Good to see you. Congratulations, I heard that Gro is pregnant! May you be blessed with a healthy male!"

Magnus was quite angry. He knew that Olaf saw this as an opportunity to steal away Jamtland, and without Jamtlad, he would not be able to successfully extend his domain towards the East into the pagan lands.

"Olaf... it is good to see you as well. I certainly hope that my first-born in a boy. And you? Is Ingrid carrying as well?"

"No, no, unfortunately. Not yet, that is. After this war is over and Jamtland falls, we will hopefully have time! Hahaha."

Laugh away dear brother. You will NOT take this victory from me.

"So, tell me, Olaf, how long do you suppose the Magistrate is going to hold out? We've been here a month, and with the addition of your troops... we might be able to finish him off by August or so."

"August? You must be kidding me, brother! I plan on not letting this siege go longer than June! I am proud of what you have done, you fought these men bravely, and have utterly crushed them! Now it is time for you to step aside and let the Kingdom itself handle Jamtland. Jamtland will fall, by siege or by force. Either way, we will not be delayed! Now, I must attend to the soldiers..."

As Magnus turned to leave Olaf's tent, Olaf put in a last word.

"Oh, and brother... I really am proud of you."

~

March 9, 1067

"My brother is an incompetent fool. As much as I love him, he is going to ruin this entire siege with his foolhardy tactics."

Magnus was in a fit of suppressed anger. He rarely displayed such emotion. Ale Kamp was a listening ear.

"My lord, perhaps it is time for your regiment to head back to Naumadal? Tend to your people. Let me take care of things here... after all, I am your marshal."

With a sigh of resignation, Magnus speaks. "Maybe you're right Ale. Inform the troops that the Naumadal regiment are to immediately set out back to our country. Let my brother have his moment of glory."

On March 9, 1067, the Naumadal regiment, led by Magnus Haraldsson Yngling, marched back towards Naumadal, headed for home.

~

June 10, 1067

After two months of sieging Jamtland, King Olaf Haraldsson Yngling and his military commanders have decided to put and end to it, and storm the castle itself.

"This is quite risky, my lord. You do not know how fierce these men are... we fought them in the battle field and they fought to the last man. They know no retreat..." Says Ale Kamp, Marshal of the Trondelag forces.

"Nonesense!" Olaf said. "Ale, you were a courtier in my father's army. You should know that our bloodine fears nothing and noone. We are going to invade the castle, and by dusk tomorrow, Jamtland will be mine. I want you, and the armies of my brother to remain here... once we give you the signal that the castle has fallen, march onwards and meet us in the castle."

And that is the one reason why your father is dead. The imbecile did not bother to listen to me when I told him that it was suicide to invade Northern England. Ale thought to himself, he then courteously bows. "Yes m'lord."

~

June 11, 1067

It is night, and a messenger runs across the great hall of the Fort at Naumadal. He is obviously tired, and from the looks of his shirt, he has come back from the battlefield at Jamtland.

Magnus was seated and holding a forum with several noblemen when the messenger barged in. The look on the messneger's face was unmistakable, that of grief and sadness.

"My lord! My lord Magnus! Ill news from the field of battle in Jamtland... Marshal Ale Kamp sent me... your brother, the King... he is... he is slain..."

The late King Olaf I of Norway, wounded and slain in the field of battle.

*celebrates Olaf's getting offed*

Old 08-22-2005, 12:00 AM   #11
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
*celebrates Olaf's getting offed*

Has he been causing the Of Adgers a lot of trouble?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:42 AM   #12
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Has he been causing the Of Adgers a lot of trouble?

Nuh I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to play to update it yet... so it may have to wait until I get out to Wyoming... but I've got the mood back to play CK, though.

I'm just still pissed about that siege steal at Silves.

Old 08-22-2005, 02:44 AM   #13
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Neat dynasty! I need to fire up CK again.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:42 AM   #14
gi
College Prospect

I downloaded the latest Aug beta patch and am having crashing problems with it. Going to try a fresh install and see if the latest beta patch is better than June's. Great read so far btw.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:43 AM   #15
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The august patch is super-buggy. too many ctd's for my taste.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:30 AM   #16
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Son of a bitch. Now I'm gonna have to buy this.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 08-22-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:13 PM   #17
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
The august patch is super-buggy. too many ctd's for my taste.

Just read that a mini fix was put out for this aug patch. People have reported less to no ctd's.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:24 PM   #18
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Son of a bitch. Now I'm gonna have to buy this.

It is $20 at your local Target or WalMart. My WalMart, however, sucks and does not carry it. I hate living in podunk, Mississippi.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:20 PM   #19
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

It's also a whole 29 for an online download, looks like.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:30 PM   #20
PilotMan
Head Coach

I got it at EB for 19.99.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote