Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: All American or Heisman?
All American 9 90.00%
Heisman 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

NOFL: AA or Heisman?

I'd encourage you all to check out both skill levels and then vote on which you like best. There are some things that I like about AA better, but Heisman is actually very playable for me this year (something that was never true for my skill level.) Still, I'm going to spend a few more days trying both before I vote.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Any success with a particular set of sliders on each?
Old 07-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've been messing around with sliders on both and the same problem exists on both:

- There are sliders that can cut down on the ridiculous CPU QB completion percentages, but they do so with reduced QB accuracy, increased defensive awareness, decreased pass blocking, and increased break block ability to generate pressure. On either level, that combo seems to bring back some games with terrible interception totals. I have 3 in one quarter with USC against a fairly good QB in Longshore, and that is without user picking and with interceptions set to 0.

If we decide to just ignore high QB completion percentages, than I think we'll need to come up with our slider set which I'm also working on. I plan on testing and then putting a few different sets up in a few days (wife is out of town for the next 3 days with her sister.) I'll also open the process to anyone who wants to put up their own sets and then we'll have to make some decisions after people try them.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So far, I prefer AA.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Bump.

Also, please feel free to put any slider suggestions in here. I think it would be too unwieldy to put each slider to a vote. However, I plan on posting some potential sliders today and getting feedback on them.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:11 AM   #6
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Kickoff and Punt definetely maxed out. When I've been playing solo I max out the kicking power on both and it either minimizes the problem or completely eliminates it. Regarding everything else, I'm pretty much fine with whatever the majority decides. I know the patch that comes out in Sept is supposed to fix the slider issues. Definetely a bigger fan of AA than Heisman though.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My initial thoughts on sliders:

QB Accuracy: I'd keep it at 50 because going down to 35 or 40 doesn't produce enough inaccurate throws to offset the fact that the deep ball becomes overly neutered and worse the CPU starts throwing many more picks as the throws are softer. However, I'm certainly open to going down to 40 if the group doesn't mind the CPU throwing more picks to help decrease the high percentage completions.

Run Blocking: I like it at 65, but whatever the majority wants is good.

Pass Blocking: At 0, you actually get pressure with break block up as well. However, this will lead to some more CPU bad throws/picks.

RB Ability: I initially was turning this up as many were, but I actually like to lower it to 45. It helps slightly with the fact that any player with the ball in their hands gets a speed boost compared to defensive players (which is to promote their "wide open gameplay" I'm sure.)

WR Catching: I like this at 0 to help lower completion percentages, but some people may find it leads to too many drops. I think 20 is a good balance of realism and fun.

Defensive Sliders:

Def Awareness: I've tried it anywhere from 60-85. I really like how there is some improved defense at 85 and completion percentages come down, but be prepared for more CPU picks.

Knockdowns: At 100. Again to lower the exceptionally high completion percentages.

Interceptions: At 0. There will still be games with high totals, but this helps some.

Break Block: At 100 to aid in getting pressure on the QB.

Tackling: I've lowered it to 40. Some people lowering it even more. Creates more missed tackles and opens up the running game a bit, but there isn't much consensus on this and I've also played some enjoyable games with it raised.

Special Teams:

FG Power: 10 - strong kickers will still make 50-55 yarders, but weak kickers no longer will.

FG Accuracy: 0 - kicking still isn't challenging enough in my opinion.

Punt power: I've messed around with lowering it to 0 or raising it to as high as 100, but it doesn't do enought to help control the punt return game. I've gone back to default of 50. No matter what the CPU is going to allow some long human punt returns if we don't put a rule in about fair catching the ball against the CPU at least until the 2nd patch comes out.

Punt accuracy: 0 (still easy for me to hit coffin kicks a lot.)

Kickoff Power: 65 (more kicks in the endzone which cuts down on the insane kickoff returns.) We could go even higher on this.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

I think all penalties should be maxed out except for maybe false start.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-05-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I'm fine with everything you proposed EF...Kickoff power could go up to 75 or even 85 IMO...I still see far too many kickoffs taken from the 10 or 15 up to the 45.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #10
Anthony
Banned

i will not be faircatching anything. sorry.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I would expect you to fair catch, if we put a rule in for that. But, I'd only put that rule in if a clear majority are in favor of it. Otherwise, take it the house and run up the score as much as you want. Hopefully, it won't be an issue after the gameplay patch comes out in a few weeks, anyway.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
Anthony
Banned

in order to completely get realistic results we'd have to play in such a manner than fun would take a backseat. i just want to grip it and rip it and not worry if i did or didn't do something that violated a rule we made. let's not get too rule happy. the point is to have fun, or is that a lost concept?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I have no interest in getting rule happy. It's just something that is being talked about in a variety of NCAA leagues on OS, so I mentioned it as a possibility. I agree that I don't want a bunch of rules that we have to worry about breaking.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #14
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I'm still for my original rule.

Moderation. Everything is fine in moderation. Some exceptions can be made because this is college ball...but hell most of the time I punt the ball out of bounds anyway. If your THAT concerned about it for the next few weeks until it's patched, then just put a high arc on the punt so that not only will your guys get down there but you'll have a chance of causing a fumble.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Of course, that doesn't help when the CPU punts to you and you can return it for a long gain easily and sometimes a TD. However, I am not pushing for the rule. I just mentioned it since I was reading about a few leagues using it. No big deal to me as we are all on a level playing field.

Edit: Only about 2 hours until invites are sent out! I'm looking forward to finally getting this started.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-05-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #16
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Good point on playing the CPU. That's tough...I think for now we're just gunna have to just deal with it, at least Human v Human. Pre-patch we could put a temporary rule in place just for playing against the CPU...like so

Unless you are behind by 21 points or more, or it is inside of the final 2 minutes of either half, you must signal fair catch on all punts made by the CPU.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 08-05-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #17
BigDPW
College Prospect

I am not sure that a rule versus CPU opponents is really necessary. To me that has little impact on the way the league plays out... I think that with the teams we have we are hamstrung enough in these leagues (being in the bottom half to quarter of our conferences).

Rules for human vs. human is different.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #18
Anthony
Banned

i'm glad this is finally getting off the ground. seems like soo long ago when we 1st started this. thanks to all the people involved that put so much work into planning and organizing.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

If Karlifornia doesn't respond within 30 minutes, BigDPW will be joining our league to take the vacancy. I'll be eating dinner in about 30 minutes and then I'll be sending off invites after dinner.

As far as the punt issue, hopefully the patch in 2 to 3 weeks will make it a non-issue. It's not really a big deal to me, anyway, particularly with the lower rated teams that don't have the true burners punt returning.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-05-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #20
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Fairdale Kings has released his post-patch rosters for the 360. That is the set we'll be using as he has always done a great job with them.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #21
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

What about the children!?!?!?!
Old 08-05-2008, 05:49 PM   #22
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
If Karlifornia doesn't respond within 30 minutes, BigDPW will be joining our league to take the vacancy. I'll be eating dinner in about 30 minutes and then I'll be sending off invites after dinner.

As far as the punt issue, hopefully the patch in 2 to 3 weeks will make it a non-issue. It's not really a big deal to me, anyway, particularly with the lower rated teams that don't have the true burners punt returning.

Isn't he already in the EBFL?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #23
Anthony
Banned

how would one download a roster from fairdale? what is his screen name on XBL? thanks!
Old 08-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #24
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

XBL Handle = Fairdale Kings
Old 08-05-2008, 06:01 PM   #25
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Isn't he already in the EBFL?

Not that it matters
Old 08-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yes, he is in the EBFL, but he approached me about wanting to be in this league as well. We've played each frequently online over the past year or two, and I've played him more than just about anyone.

I'm glad to welcome BigDPW to the NOFL!

Also, thanks to Galaxy who graciously offered to withdraw his request to switch to the ACC so that BigDPW can have his hometown NC State Wolfpack.

Mrs. Eaglesfan took longer than expected to make dinner.. so expect invites to still be 30-45 minutes away. I'm not eating for about 10 more minutes.

Also, no one else (but me) needs to download the roster file for it to work in this franchise. However, I recommend his file for your own personal single player franchises.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-05-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #27
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Yes, he is in the EBFL, but he approached me about wanting to be in this league as well. We've played each frequently online over the past year or two, and I've played him more than just about anyone.

I'm glad to welcome BigDPW to the NOFL!

Thanks for letting me join you guys... I am excited!

I only have time for one dynasty (online or offline)... I have played several of you guys alot over the years with Madden/NCAA/other games and really decided that this was probably a better option for me given my new time commitments meaning I will have time to play more late in the evening and on weekends... I had been thinking of moving leagues for awhile due to that but both were full for awhile and then the patch wait happened. When I realized today that NC State was available in the NOFL I contacted EF27.

Thanks for Galaxy for allowing me to take over my Wolfpack rather than a SEC team.

I look forward to gaming with you guys and putting Duke (Anthony) in his rightful place at the bottom of the big four (UNC, Duke, Wake, NCSU) each year.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #28
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hear hear!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #29
Mike1409
High School Varsity

I have seen more penalties with the sliders set at 95 instead of 100. YMMV
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:13 AM   #30
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
Thanks for letting me join you guys... I am excited!

I only have time for one dynasty (online or offline)... I have played several of you guys alot over the years with Madden/NCAA/other games and really decided that this was probably a better option for me given my new time commitments meaning I will have time to play more late in the evening and on weekends... I had been thinking of moving leagues for awhile due to that but both were full for awhile and then the patch wait happened. When I realized today that NC State was available in the NOFL I contacted EF27.

Thanks for Galaxy for allowing me to take over my Wolfpack rather than a SEC team.

I look forward to gaming with you guys and putting Duke (Anthony) in his rightful place at the bottom of the big four (UNC, Duke, Wake, NCSU) each year.

yo mamma
Old 08-06-2008, 07:25 AM   #31
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1409 View Post
I have seen more penalties with the sliders set at 95 instead of 100. YMMV

me too... Seems weird but I think this really works???
Old 08-06-2008, 08:08 AM   #32
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
me too... Seems weird but I think this really works???

I've heard this and tried it in a few games, but I didn't see any more in that limited sample size. I always figured it was placebo effect. However, if the majority want to give it a try, that is fine with me.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:17 AM   #33
Kodos
Resident Alien

Fine with me.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:25 AM   #34
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Welcome to the league BigDPW. w00ters!

Just stay away from my big recruits in California and we'll get along just fine
Old 08-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #35
BigDPW
College Prospect

I have no aspirations of developing a pipeline to California in the next couple years... Only gonna do that after Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania... You are safe - For NOW!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #36
Anthony
Banned

how do you develop a pipeline? i've never done that in NCAA before.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #37
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Recruit a bunch of players from one state and there is a chance it will become a pipeline state which gives you a bonus when recruiting in that state in the future.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #38
Anthony
Banned

South Dakota is gonna be all MINE.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #39
Raiders Army
Coordinator

hrm. I stayed away from this sub-forum while my 360 was out to avoid what I couldn't have. I guess I was the only one to vote for Heisman.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote