Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #51
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Considering I know nothing about FOF, I'd go with other opinions. But I do like a good Psych reference

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-24-2013 at 11:20 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #52
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Considering I know nothing about FOF, I'd go with other opinions. But I do like a good Psych reference

SI

Absolutely. Have a pineapple.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #53
BYU 14
Coordinator

Conley, a playmaker on the edge is key
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #54
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Conley...can't pass that up
Old 09-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #55
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
Absolutely. Have a pineapple.

I didn't know about that gag for the longest time but I'm not a regular watcher of the show- I just catch it in syndication from time to time as it's a show that's easy to pick up and put down

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-24-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #56
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, Conley sounds like the better of the two and with less risk.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #57
revrew
Team Chaplain

RDE Doug Conley it is! Drafted at 1.5. Our scouts rate him 40/73 right off the bat and are very excited about his combination of size and pass rush skills.

DT Sean Spencer, meanwhile, falls to 1.22 and is selected by Miami. We flirted with trading up to the 1.21 (timing was right on that one!) to grab him, but the price Philadelphia was demanding was just too steep.

At 2.8 we have some more choices.
DT Malcolm Conley (yeah, same name as our 1.5 - brothers?) has a red agility combine (yay, run defense!) and a blue strength score, among the best remaining in the draft. His broad jump, however, is woeful, and his endurance bar looks like it matches. His red/blue combine leads me to believe he's a creeper, but he has low volatility, and his bars are pathetic. Big risk here.

DT Shawn Foreman has 4 blues, including strength and agility. Bench only 1 less than Conley. If his bars hold, he's a safer looking DT bet and would be a solid starter, but short of being a star. Also, affinity match.

CB Roderick Allman A 4 blue corner with a high position drill and zone bar, so the type we like. But he would have to be a creeper (volatility 76), because his current bars don't suggest he's worth it here. The hesitation is his punishing hitter and INT bars are also low, so despite his combines, doesn't show classic creeper signature.

CB Skip Carr A 2 blue corner with 4.49 speed. PSpec suggests he should have good zone bar, but doesn't. His punishing hitter and INT bars, however, are somewhat higher, classic sign of a creeper. But on only 2 blues (PSpec and Agility)?
No ILBs. Some curious OLBs we might look at in 3rd. No safeties worth it this high.

I'm leaning toward Foreman, the affinity match being the deciding factor ...

Last edited by revrew : 09-24-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #58
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I never let volatility scare me but Foreman is the one I would take with this selection out of the 4
Old 09-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #59
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

2 rookies on the line who could solve your problems there for a lot of years is hard to pass up.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #60
revrew
Team Chaplain

I wonder if the way I'm writing it up is slanting the feedback, but regardless, I'm in agreement again. Thanks for the input, guys.

DT Shawn Foreman it is, with the 2.8 pick. Scouts rate him 30/67 and especially like his relentless motor.

Conley goes at 2.14. Allman falls at 2.21. Carr at 3.1. Interestingly, Denver took both CBs.

As expected, the 3rd round leads us to our experiments at OLB.
Stephen Prestbye has 3 blues, a decent pass rush strength bar and a volatility of 92, which could all add up to a creeper. But his bars at Rdef and zone are low. If he doesn't creep, he's useless to me.

Tommie Alvarado is an all-bars pick. He has 2 blues - in dash and agil - so it's not all bad, but he has 2 greens, too (bench and broad jump). Yet his run def is maxed at 100 and his zone is around 75. Play diagnosis, alas is 0. He could easily be a bust candidate.
A creeper possibility vs. a bust candidate. I do expect Alvarado will lose some of those ratings, but I can't help it. I want that run-stuffing ability.

at 3.7, Chicago selects OLB Tommie Alvarado, 6'3, 249, out of Stanford. My scouts rate him initially at 19/64.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #61
revrew
Team Chaplain

Prestbye falls at 4.3 - also to Denver (do we have the same scouts?). The Denver scout's Young Talent rating is "excellent," so that feels reassuring.

Now we get to the intriguingly strategic part of the draft. According to my house rules, I can draft an offensive player for the first time in the 4th round. But after he plays out his contract, if he exceeds a 40 in current rating, I can't resign him. Of course, I can "game" my own house rules by extending his contract quick, before he hits a 40 rating, but the reality is that any actually good or creeping player I pick here on offense, I may have to just let go after 5 or 6 years or so.

But is that really staying true to the spirit of the challenge? Is it gaming my own system? Or is that just part of the fun? Aaargh, I dunno ...

I normally like to take an Olineman about this spot, but if I have to let him go after 5 or 6 years, he'll be just coming into his prime. I think these house rules are going to push me away from ever drafting Oline. QB may face a similar dilemma.

A RB or WR prospect that can contribute more quickly, however, I could grab now and use for a few years before the lease is up.

Otherwise, I may stick to drafting D. Maybe special teams players. We'll see.

And, wouldn't you know it, when the 4.6 comes around, I have a real dilemma between 3 guys.

If I stick with defense, there's this guy:
OLB Buddy Bongiovanni - He of the awesome name. Blue in agility and dash, but green in Sol and Broad. But his run D rating is sky high and his pass rush strength isn't bad either. He's similar to Alvarado, who we already took, and may give us some insurance.
But on offense ...
QB Fernando Windsor has a red, a 90 in Pspec, and blues in dash and Sol and several very high bars. His sense rush is about a 30, so not perfect, but if it weren't for my house rules this guy would be the no-brainer, easy pick. But is it worth taking a QB who might end up being good, only to lose him after 6 or 7 years?

RB Van Mason an affinity-match speedster who runs a 4.48 40. His only bars are in breakaway speed, power inside and speed to the outside, the classic markers of a breakout candidate. He might last until the 5th, and if he does, I'm taking him. But then again, he might not ...
So. What to do here?
Old 09-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #62
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

You could have far worse problems then having a QB tthat gives you a solid 4-5 years.

That or the LB - fuck the RB.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #63
revrew
Team Chaplain

OK, we'll go with Coffee's prevailing "wisdom."

At 4.6 Chicago selects QB Fernando Windsor out of Clemson. The scouts have him rated 20/48 and were impressed with his grasp of the game.

At 5.5 Chicago selects RB Van Mason, a speedster out of Vanderbilt. The scouts have him rated 24/27 and believe he has a high ceiling.

At 6.8 Chicago selects C Scottie Wayne an afffinity-matching longsnapper who actually had 2 blues and a red for combines. Scouts see him as raw, however, rated 14/46.

At 7.7 Chicago selects CB Roosevelt Coffey out of Washington. He looked good in zone coverage, but is suspect elsewhere. Our scouts rate him as 10/36.

Next update after training camp!
Old 09-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #64
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
OK, we'll go with Coffee's prevailing "wisdom."

YOU FOOL!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #65
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Not sure how you could pass on Buddy Bongiovanni! Great name. Fernando seems like a flake who is bound to be injury prone with a name like that. With your current setup, I'd hesitate to take a QB, as there are usually a lot of good veteran 38/38 guys that have a lot more formations.

It just seems like once you get your guy developed, he could be out the door.

Regarding contracts, are you doing no haggle, no hassle, or are you able to sign guys to whatever you like?
Old 09-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #66
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Not sure how you could pass on Buddy Bongiovanni! Great name. Fernando seems like a flake who is bound to be injury prone with a name like that. With your current setup, I'd hesitate to take a QB, as there are usually a lot of good veteran 38/38 guys that have a lot more formations.

Regarding contracts, are you doing no haggle, no hassle, or are you able to sign guys to whatever you like?

I'll keep an eye on Bongiovanni and let you know how he develops He went to Minnesota in the 4th and is rated 24/54 pre-camp.

Our new QB walks in knowing 12 formations, so he should be OK there.

As for contracts, I can sign to whatever, so long as they fit within the skill-level restrictions for offensive players.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #67
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:

True, but you might be able to get some better cohesion over Rent A QB if you can keep him locked up for awhile.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #68
revrew
Team Chaplain

We go into camp with 53 players, barely enough to field a team, as our cap situation is as tight as can be.

I'm not sure whether we should emphasize offense in camp, because it's such a weakness, or emphasize defense, because it's our strength.

Post camp movers/shakers of note and rookie report, with trends current and future in that order:

RB Kelly Hayes (3yr vet) +4, +5, 35/43 - Crap. He's a solid player, but he just went over our talent cap and looks to keep growing. He'll likely play out his contract, then be gone, per dynasty rules.

MLB Dexter Lucas (3yr vet) - He's gone +23, +2 since last year to become 82/82 now. His runD and play diagnosis are both red 100, but he's barely orange on development. This guy is an ANIMAL.

SS Charlie Guillen (2yr vet) +16, +4, 47/53. He was our Solecismique League guy and broke his hand while there, so he's going to miss preseason. Good run defender, but despite his growth, his zone is too poor to really play for us long term. Plus, he looks to be nearly fully developed. I don't see him continuing to creep much. For now, I think he'll fill our key, nickel safetybacker spot. He'll be an RFA after this season, and we can evaluate then.

Rookies:
DE Doug Conley (R: 1.5) +5, -1 - 45/72 - Pass rush bar says 52/99, so jackpot! It will probably red out closer to 85, but still, we scored on this one.

DT Shawn Foreman (R: 2.8) +5, -5, 35/62 - Well, the odds of his mediocrity were high. Looks like he'll be a 50/50 player before it's done. Still, he has the affinity and the making of a good role player. For what it's worth, our other candidates at that spot are all pretty sad coming out of camp. We got the right guy in the 2nd.

OLB Tommie Alvarado (R: 3.7) +0, -15, 19/49. Ouch. Knew he was bust possibility, but this counts as a big draft whiff. Still, his runD bar is still pretty high, so we're going to use him as our goalline WLB.

QB Fernando Windsor (R: pick 4.6) +4, -3, 24/45 - Easily slides into #2 on depth chart. Biggest worry, though, is that he lost a formation during TC and his intelligence rating is way too high, leading to a major INT concern. His potential rating and bars? Perfect. Odds of him being long-term solution ... slim. Still, this was a really good gamble.

RB Van Mason (R: 5.5) +0, +2, 24/29, decent change of pace speed back, but no Kelly Hayes

C Scotttie Wayne (R: 6.8) +4, +1, 18/47 - good long snapper and growth is good. Perhaps we can resign him later before he hits the talent cap.

CB Roosevelt Coffey (R: 7.7) +3, +0, 13/36. Meh. Benchwarmer.
Oh, and for those keeping track at home, Minnesota's Buddy Bongiovanni went +4, -4 and sits at 28/50. We should have taken him in the third instead of Alvarado. Nuts.

My own draft grade: B

Conley could be a long-term star for us, and Foreman looks solid, so some props for this class. But when you're as high as the 5th pick, it would be nice to get a bit more out of the lower rounds. This grade could rise if Scottie Wayne continues to grow or Van Mason rounds out better. For now, I'm saying above average, but shy of great.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #69
revrew
Team Chaplain

Just enough room after camp to sign a rookie, and FB Luther Brewington (21/47) is actually a good-looking prospect with high blocking strength, run blocking and blitz pickup - plus, he's an affinity match. Since he'll likely fall short of developing to 47, he may slide right in and be a starting FB for years to come. Glad to grab this guy.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #70
revrew
Team Chaplain

Preseason 1: At Cleveland

Everything clicks for us in this game, as RB Kelly Hayes tears it up with a 4.94 per average. Rookie QB Fernando Windsor debuts with 10 for 13 passing and a 122.6 QB rating. Vet QB Hardy Holleran also puts up a 101.3 QB rating, but takes a pair of sacks.

Our new special teams aces are brilliant, the defense picks off 3 balls, and rookie DE Doug Conley debuts with a half-sack, 3 blocked passes, 2 hurries and a knockdown. Yowza.

Crushing win for Chicago, 30-7.

Preseason 2: vs. Indianapolis

Half the cylinders fire in this one, but boy, did they ever. Our QBs are in locked in a battle of GOOD performances, RB Kelly Hayes ripped it up again, and new WR Tyrone Lee goes bananas, 14 catches on 18 targets for 157 yards and a score. Hello!

Special teams actually stumbled all game long. Poor returns. 2 missed kicks.

Defense was dominating. We outgained them 372 yards to 170 total. They got 57 on the ground and 113 in the air and went a goose-egg 0 for 12 on 3rd down.

Losing a pair of fumbles and screwing up in the red zone, however, made this one close. We win by only 16-13.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #71
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

My kingdom for cap space!

Though it should be clearing up soon...what's your dead space next year?

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 09-27-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #72
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
My kingdom for cap space!

Though it should be clearing up soon...what's your dead space next year?

Lost cap this year: $62 million out of $135 million salary cap.

Lost cap next year: $0. Not a penny (though there might be some after a preseason cut or 2). As of our contracts right now, we look to be $65 million UNDER the cap next season, although I may have to look at some in-season renegs; I'm not sure just now.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #73
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

It might just be me, put I'd prefer to have the score listed up top on the recap, at or near the team names. Alternatively, have it in bold. Sometimes I like to read, but sometimes I prefer to just browse the results.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #74
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
It might just be me, put I'd prefer to have the score listed up top on the recap, at or near the team names. Alternatively, have it in bold. Sometimes I like to read, but sometimes I prefer to just browse the results.

Done deal. Can do!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #75
revrew
Team Chaplain

Preseason 3: vs. Baltimore

On offense, rookie Van Mason got his chance and made the most of it, with a 5.36 ave and a TD. Rookie QB Fernando Windsor continues to shine in the preseason, gong 11 for 17, 123 yards, 1 TD and 105.7 rating in limited action.

On defense, our 2nd string played almost the whole game, but #2 LDE Deron Abbott wins POG honors with 2 sacks.

Mostly our scrubs in there, a fairly even game. We gave up too many yards on the ground, yet they struggled in the end zone. We walk away with win, 21-19.

Preseason 4: at Houston

Our offense comes alive again, with the 4th straight 100+ rating game from rookie QB Fernando Windsor. Could this guy win the starting job? Not my call. That's up to coach. Once again, new WR Tyrone Lee lights it up, 9 catches on 10 targets for 127 yards and 2 scores. This guy is showing he can take over a game. Man, am I excited to see what he can do in regular season.

On defense, not much to talk about, except rookie WLB Tommie Alvarado got some experience and led the team with 8 tackles.

I wonder what this means ... Chicago goes 4-0 in preseason, tacking on another win, 30-20.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #76
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Start my boy Fernando!
Old 09-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #77
revrew
Team Chaplain

SEASON PREVIEW:

I can't say as I agree with coach, but for now, veteran QB Hardy Holleran has won the starting role. I expect speedsters RB Kelly Hayes and WR Tyrone Lee to be the real stars, however, and the Bears offense should actually have some explosive, big-play potential to it. Can we string together 1st downs when needed, though?

Rookie RB Van Mason won the #2 spot at halfback, and rookie FB Luther Brewington is slotted at the starter spot. These are guys who may contribute for a long time.

On defense, rookie RDE Doug Conley is the story. Can he come in and terrorize QBs right away? Contend for DROY?

The Packers, Vikings and Lions remain among the worst teams in the league, so expect us to overachieve again this year. But how many wins is that? Can we be good enough in our crappy division to contend for playoffs? Or do we need to cue the voice of Jim Mora here?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #78
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
SEASON PREVIEW:

I can't say as I agree with coach, but for now, veteran QB Hardy Holleran has won the starting role.

You should just cut anyone above Fernando to give him the starting job.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #79
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
You should just cut anyone above Fernando to give him the starting job.

Don't think I'm not tempted, but that does go against the spirit of the challenge a bit. If I can manipulate the starting lineup by creative cuts, then how is that really all that different from just manipulating the lineup manually?

I'm going to let Holleran ride for now - to preserve the immersion factor for myself, if nothing else. But if he stinks it up this year and proves himself unworthy of the contract ... well, any self-respecting GM would just have to let him go and see what the rookie has, right?
Old 09-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #80
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

It wouldn't be without precedent though. That's pretty much what happened with the Jags when they cut David Garrard.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #81
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
It wouldn't be without precedent though. That's pretty much what happened with the Jags when they cut David Garrard.

Well, if you're looking for a precedent on how NOT to run an NFL franchise ... see Jacksonville
Old 09-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #82
revrew
Team Chaplain

GAME 1: Green Bay (0-0) at Chicago (0-0)

Yes, Green Bay sucks, but ... whoa.

Offense comes alive, as RB Kelly Hayes rips off 104 yards and 3 total TDs. QB Hardy Holleran is 18 for 27, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, and 111.1 rating. WR Tyrone Lee 8 of 9 on catches, and the Bears put up the yards and points.

Our new P Fred Preston averages 52 yards per boot and downs 4 of 5 inside the 20. K Rusty Schafluetzel 3/3 on FGs, including one from 51.

On defense, Green Bay's only TD comes on a kick return. Meanwhile, rookie RDE Doug Conley gets 2 of our team's 6 sacks, and the squad pulls down 3 INTs. After we got ahead, Green Bay was held to 55 yards on the ground, while we average 5.47 rushing in a blowout.

Chicago steamrolls, 37-13.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #83
revrew
Team Chaplain

WEEK 2: Chicago (1-0) at Denver (0-1)

Singsongy voice: Oh, dear ... where did our offense go?

In the crapper. QB Hardy Holleran tosses 3 INTs, pretty much killing everything we had going for us.

P Fred Preston was the bomb again, averaging 49.6 and dropping 3 of 5 inside the 20.

On defense, MLB Dexter Lucas racked up 13 tackles an a pair of passes defense, and LDE Ben Erickson gathered 1.5 sacks.

Defense did OK, but Hardy just had a rotten outing, particularly in the longer passes. Chicago loses, 21-10.

The worst news, however, is that rookie stud RDE Doug Conley hyperextended a knee and will be out for 4 weeks.

WEEK 3: Washington (2-0) at Chicago (1-1)

The defense forces Washington into a 3-and-out on their first possession, and then on our 3rd down, WR Tyrone Lee streaks 81 yards for a score. Lee finishes with 7 catches for 125 yards and a score and looks as though he may be top offensive acquisition of the offseason.

Or was it P Fred Preston? He averages 50.3 yards per punt and downs 3 of 4 inside the 20. He currently leads the NFL in both categories, yards per and downed inside the 20.

On defense MLB Dexter Lucas again leads the way with 11 tackles, and backup DE Deron Abbott puts the pressure on in Conley's absence.

Right now, the Bears are operating at an INT deficit that's hurting us, but holding the Skins to 145 in the air gets us the win, 19-13.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #84
revrew
Team Chaplain

WEEK 4: Chicago (2-1) at Carolina (1-2)

Offense is horrid this day, as QB Hardy Holleran throws three picks and is benched in the 4th quarter. Rookie RB Van Mason catches his first TD pass and QB Fernando Windsor gets to see his first NFL action! His first play, a 57-yard completion! His second play, an 8-yard scramble in which he doesn't slide and coughs up a fumble.

On defense, an off day for the team, but MLB Dexter Lucas gets 14 tackles, FA pickup SS Kelly Macklin grabs 11 and CB Barry Westbrook nabs a pair of INTs.

The rest of the team played poorly, however, and Bears lose, 27-10.

QUARTERLY REPORT - at the Bye

Passing O: #18
Rushing O: #20, but we average 4.69 per carry (run more, coach!), good for #7 in NFL.
Scoring: #17

Rushing D: #21
Pass D: #7
Scoring: #15

Turnovers: #27 - Hardy Holleran has 8 INTs, second most in the league, and as many as he had in 10 games last year.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #85
revrew
Team Chaplain

Now the big question: QB Hardy Holleran got benched for bad play in the last game before the bye. In IRL, when that happens, the rookie gets the reins after the bye. Unfortunately, the coach AI won't do that.

Can I arbitrarily enforce this and make Fernando Windsor the starter? Or does that violate the spirit of the challenge? Am I breaking the rules, or preserving some immersion factor for the better fun of the dynasty?

What say you, readers?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #86
ozias
High School JV

Keep Holleran as the QB, since that's what the coach wants.

If he continues to suck, he should still get replaced by Windsor, and that will let Windsor develop more, so maybe he can take the place of Holleran before the season ends.
ozias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #87
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozias View Post
Keep Holleran as the QB, since that's what the coach wants.

If he continues to suck, he should still get replaced by Windsor, and that will let Windsor develop more, so maybe he can take the place of Holleran before the season ends.

Maybe I'm wrong, but while that's how it would work IRL, I don't think that's how FOF AI will work.

Holleran will keep right on starting every week, and Windsor will develop all the LESS by sitting on the bench.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #88
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I say it's the coaches call.

But like I mentioned earlier, you can manipulate the roster as GM in the fact that if Windsor is the highest rated QB on the roster, he will likely start. That probably means you need to cut Holleran.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #89
revrew
Team Chaplain

OK, I'm hearing, "Stick to the rules of the challenge." Very good. I shall. Holleran will continue to start for now, unless coach has a change of heart. Right now, however, it doesn't look good for Holleran to be around next season.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #90
revrew
Team Chaplain

WEEK 5: Chicago (2-2) at Detriot (2-2)

Hey, stupid coach: RB Kelly Hayes really needs the ball more! He rushed for 111 yards and a TD on only 15 carries, for a 7.4 average, powering an offense that racked up 4 FGs, but not a lot of points. QB Hardy Holleran stayed in for the whole game, despite throwing 2 INTs.

On defense, SS Kelly Macklin leads the attack with 10 tackles and CB Dexter Craig gets an INT, but our pass rush is really sad without the rookie RDE.

Still, it's enough to eek out an ugly one: Chicago wins, 18-13.

WEEK 6: New Orleans (0-6) at Chicago (3-2)

Strange game. On offense, we're fairly balanced. Holleran plays decent, Kelly Hayes has another good running game, our #3 WR grabs a pair of TDs.

On defense, however, the wheels fall off the bus, as the Saints torch us in the air, putting up an astounding 391 passing yards. Rookie RDE Doug Conley has no impact in his return to action.

But when it comes to the red zone, the Bears bear down and hold the Saints to field goals. We win an odd one, despite being woefully outplayed, 24-9.

The truly awful news, however, is that we've lost both MLB Dexter Lucas and #1 DT Timothy Emmons for 8 weeks each to injury. OUCH.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #91
revrew
Team Chaplain

WEEK 7: Minnesota (6-1) at Chicago (4-2)

This one turns into a slug fest, as coach finally got the message about RB Kelly Hayes. The kid chews up 130 yards on the ground, averaging nearly 7 per carry and also leads all receivers with 7 catches. QB Hardy Holleran barely completes 50% of his passes, however, and throws yet another pick, leaving lots of possible points on the board.

The Vikes try to match us running, but can only grind out 3.93 per carry, and when they go to the air, CB Barry Westbrook makes them pay with 2 INTs, and FS Charles Talley grabs a 3rd. Our 4-4 outside backer/safety Charlie Guillen leads the team in tackles, and it turns into a grind.

Surrendering a third-quarter kickoff return TD, however, swings the tide against us, and Minnesota gets the points its offense couldn't find. Chicago loses, 17-12.

WEEK 8: Atlanta (4-4) at Chicago (4-3)

Once again, it's our star RB Kelly Hayes who powers the offense, grinding out tough yards on the ground in this contest, but leading us in receptions for the second straight week. His 2 TDs are critical. QB Hardy Holleran also runs one in from 29 yards out.

On defense, our safeties gobble up the tackles in MLB Dexter Lucas' absence, but we start to see some of that spark out of RDE Doug Conley, who leads the team with a half-sack, 3 hurries, and 2 knockdowns. CB Dexter Craig also has a fine game, batting down 4 passes.

Close in yards, but not in score, Chicago wins, 24-6.

HALFWAY REPORT:

Rushing O: #11 - Kelly Hayes is giving us some good yards, among league leaders at 5.18 per carry.
Passing O: #22
Scoring O: #13 in a remarkably low-scoring year

Rushing D: #18 - some mild improvement here?
Passing D: #18 - disappointing number here
Scoring D: #5 - Red zone/big play defense has been staunch

Turnover margin: #15.

Looks like we're fairly mediocre, which is also fairly accurate. I expected our D to regress a bit this year, but next year's FA $$$ should help make us the Monsters of the Midway.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #92
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think in the long run, it's better that you're bad this year to allow for one more year to build. I think you've actually gotten too good too quick tho the injuries this season may blunt that a little.

SI

Old 10-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #93
revrew
Team Chaplain

WEEK 9: Chicago (5-3) at Tampa (6-2)

Well, this was just a good ol' fashioned butt kicking. And our boys won't be sitting down for weeks.

Offensively, only Kelly Hayes was worth squat, leading the team in rushing and receiving. But Hardy Holleran tossed a pair of INTs and our defense was abysmal, so Hayes rarely got the ball at all.

On defense, we only had one player who even showed up: OLB Stanley Grier who led the team in tackles and got an INT. But we surrendered 468 yards, and Tampa didn't have to punt until nearly the 4th quarter. Ugh.

Chicago gets stomped, 34-8.

WEEK 10: Chicago (5-4) at Green Bay (3-6)

QB Hardy Holleran's INTs are getting old. FAST. And why the $^#&# does coach have Hardy throw the ball 44 times and Kelly Hayes, who averaged 6 per carry in this one, only run 9 times?? Dangit, coach!

On defense, the squad comes back and holds the Pack to 84 on the ground and 190 in the air. LDE Ben Erickson grabs a pair of sacks and CB Dexter Craig an INT, but it isn't enough, as Green Bay hits a last-minute field goal to hand us a loss 20-17.

Even more disturbing is superstar K Rusty Schafleutzel has missed 3 FGs in the last 2 games. The two today cost us the contest. Adding injury to insult, we also lose SS Kelly Macklin for 4 games with a separated shoulder.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #94
revrew
Team Chaplain

WEEK 11: San Diego (6-4) at Chicago (5-5)

This one was all defensive slugfest and ground game. Though we gave up way too much on the ground, the Bolts were held to 97 yards in the air. Notably, rookie D-linemen Doug Conley and Shawn Foreman each got a sack, while vet FS Charles Talley picked a pair and CB Dexter Craig (he's having another outstanding year) batted down 4 balls.

K Rusty Shafluetzel breaks out of his slump with a perfect day, including the last-second kick for the win, 16-13. Now THAT'S Chicago football!

WEEK 12: Chicago (6-5) at St. Louis (8-3-1)

About time you start running, coach! We're trailing all game, until 3 minutes left, when RB Kelly Hayes busts off a 57-yard TD dash. Hayes had 152 on the day.

Defense was crazy stout. Picking a pair and forcing 3 fumbles had the Rams stymied. Team effort, but DT Shawn Foreman was our best pass rusher, the second game in a row he gets some props after being quiet all season.

Hayes' big run holds, and Chicago gets the upset win, 13-9. Bears winnin' it Bear style, baby!
Old 10-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #95
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Dare I say...playoffs?
Old 10-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #96
revrew
Team Chaplain

WEEk 13: Chicago (7-5) at Kansas City (8-4)

Yeah, coach. How 'BOUT you give the ball to my man, RB Kelly Hayes! First touch of the game is 84 yards for a score. Another score on the 2nd possession of the game, and the Bears are in business. Chicago rushed for 218 yards on the day. Holleran sucks.

Alas, defense was also poor, giving up a total of 421 yards. Very little to say about any single performance, but 3rd down defense was strong enough to stop any long, scoring drives. Somehow, Chicago eeks out another win, 20-16. Winning the Bears way, with LOW scores.

WEEK 14: Detroit (4-9) at Chicago (8-5)

The Lions somehow put the clamps on RB Kelly Hayes, which means we're in a world of hurt, offensively.

The good news is the defense is particularly stiff, led by DE Ben Erickson and rookie DT Shawn Foreman, who not only gets some pressure on the QB, but leads the team with 6 tackles on the day.

Alas, nothing the Bears can do with an anemic offense that also gives up a 42-yard fumble return for TD. It all equals a heartbreaking loss, 14-10.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #97
revrew
Team Chaplain

WEEK 15: Oakland (9-5) at Chicago (8-6)

It's do or die for the playoffs now, and Kelly Hayes picks an awful time to go AWOL. 12 rushes, 3 yards. Owie.

But rookie RB Van Mason picks up some of the slack, rumbling for an 11-yard TD run and picking up a special teams fumble to race 33 yards for another score.

On defense, CB Dexter Craig highlights his phenomenal year with a pick 6, and suddenly the Bears are getting points from all over the place.

That helps, especially when we hold the Raiders to only 174 yards total, a pathetic 47 in the air. Our DEs lead the way, with rookie RDE Doug Conley getting 1.5 sacks and LDE Ben Ericskson getting 1.5, 3 knockdowns and 5 hurries.

An expected good game wasn't, as Chicago cruises to victory, 37-13.

In devastating news, however, rookie LDT Shawn Foreman blows out his MCL, and he'll miss time this year AND next. A promising young career now hangs in the balance.

WEEK 16: Chicago (9-6) at Minnesota (12-3)

Even with the unlikely win here, we're going to need some help making the playoffs. Our win over St. Louis earlier could be the deciding factor. Unfortunately, we go in without either of our starting DTs. The return of MLB Dexter Lucas, however, could give us a boost.

The game is fairly tight, low-scoring, back and forth ...

Until late in the third quarter. Suddenly, QB Hardy Holleran goes OFF on his former teammates. An 80-yard TD play to WR Tyrone Lee puts Chicago ahead, and the race is on. Like heavyweight boxers, the two teams start trading haymakers at the end. The scores start piling up. Holleran hits Donnell Ellis for 61 yards and a score, and K Rusty Schafluetzel saves his best for last, blasting three - count 'em, THREE - field goals from 50 yards or more.

Holleran has his best game as a Bear, tossing 333 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs and a 131.7 rating!

On defense ... MLB Dexter Lucas makes his presence felt, with 12 tackles and 1.5 sacks. Our DE bookends add 3 more sacks between them, but Minnesota is finding seams, breaking plays ...

Yet when our offense plays this well, no team is going to make the difference against our D.

Chicago wins! 30-22.

But will it be enough to get into the playoffs??
Old 10-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #98
revrew
Team Chaplain

Sadly, Arizona wins their last game to finish 11-5, denying us the tiebreaker opportunity we needed to be the wild card team. Chicago misses the playoffs by *that* much.

YEAR END REPORT:

Baltimore beats Minnesota in the SuperBowl.
Rushing O: #15 - we could have finished higher, were it not for moron coach. We were #1 in the NFL in ypc.
Passing O: #22
Scoring O: #12 - having a superstar kicker helps

Rush D: #29 - this was not the improvement we were hoping for
Pass D: #7
Scoring D: #10

Turnover margin: #16 at +3 - Curiously, the Patriots have one of the all-time worst seasons in this category, finishing -32.
Individual stats:

Top QB:
QB Hardy Holleran 3180 yards, 15 TDs, 21 INTs, 67.6 QB rating, one of the worst in the league.

Top RB:
RB Kelly Hayes 1188 yards, 5.47 average (#1 in NFL), 8 TDs (#4). Also the team's 2nd leading receiver with 62 catches for 437 yards and 3 TDs.

Top WR:
WR Tyrone Lee 73 catches (57%) for 929 yards and 5 TDs. He was explosive at times, invisible at others.

Oline - they all suck

Top Tackler:
S Charlie Guillen - Playing our pivotal 4-4 safetybacker spot, Guillen got 77 tackles. This is not really all that impressive

Sackmasters:
LDE Ben Erickson 11 sacks, 19 hurries, 7.7 PRPct - WINS all league 1st team
RDE Doug Conley 7.5 sacks, 12 hurries, 4.4 PRPct

Pass coverage:
CB Barry Westbrook quietly put up another great season, 8 INTs, 17 defensed, 86.9 PDPct - WINS all league 1st team
CB Dexter Craig 5 INTs, 16 defensed, 86.8 PDPct

Rookie Report:

1.5 DE Doug Conley - 13 games, 41 tackles, 7.5 sacks. 4.4 PRPct, 7.0 TkPct - Good, but not as great as we hoped. Still, he's growing.
2.8 DT Shawn Foreman - 15 games, 29 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 3.8 PRPct, 6.5 TkPct - Very solid, but recovering from major injury
3.7 WLB Tommie Alvarado - 16 games, 27 tackles, .5 sacks, 11.7 TkPct - Meh
4.6 QB Fernando Windsor - 1-for-1, 57 yards - Will probably start next year.
5.5 RB Van Mason - 413 yards, 3.65 ave, 2 TDs, 19 catches, 138 yards, 1 TD - Meh
6.8 C Scottie Wayne - 2 KRBs in 14 chances, 3 sacks - Yuck
7.7 CB Roosevelt Coffey - very limited action

Going into next season, big questions:
1. Kelly Hayes is rated 39/43 right now. Will he stay under the 40 cap so we can sign him long-term?
2. We need DT help. Badly.
3. We need the kind of safeties this defense requires.
4. Will we ever be able to stop the run?
5. Can we count on QB Fernando Windsor to take over the reins?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #99
revrew
Team Chaplain

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS SEASON 3:

Last season, Chicago finished 10-6 and just missed the playoffs.

On offense, we're looking for a new QB, but RB Kelly Hayes is a superstar in the making, despite his 39/43 rating.

On defense, our CBs are dynamite and our pass rush is improving, but the run defense needs some serious help.
Staff hiring: None
Summer League: QB Fernando Windsor
Franchise Tag: CB Barry Westbrook
FA 1:

We get a HUGE break, when RB Kelly Hayes is listed as 40/44. That means we can resign him, long-term. Had he creeped up to 41, we'd be forced to let him go at the end of his contract.

We immediately resign Hayes to a 5-year extension worth nearly $30 million. That will keep him with us until his 9th year in the league, if his wheels last that long.

We don't have much to pick from for DTs and safeties in the market, however. Depth, but no stars.

Looking ahead to the draft:

Oh, my. It's the year of the DT and S. Exactly the two positions we need. There are DTs at the top that are gods among men. Some pretty hot safeties, too, which seems more likely at 1.21. Unless we find a way to move up...
Old 10-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #100
revrew
Team Chaplain

The FA free-for-all:

Targets:

QB:
T.J. McCargo, 14th year, 21/21, mentor/kick holder
RB: No one worth pursuing
FB:
Winston Norton, 2nd year, 25/40, depth, affinity and decent run blocker
TE:
Scott Jeffries, 7th year, 39/39, better than what we have and the best we can sign, according to rules
WR:
Dusty Kennedy, 5th year, 27/33, decent BPR, but mostly affinity match
Ian Cooley, 8th year, 38/38, affinity match and special teams ace
Courtney Fleming, 7th year, 36/36, kick/punt returner
C: No decent targets
G:
Mike Kennedy, 5th year, 28/40, strong, 343-pound brute
Mel Giles, 6th year, 36/36, mentor
T:
Eric Hesse, 7th year, 40/40, decent pass protector

MLB:
Mercury Brennan, 6th year, 62/62, Major run stuffer, maybe could slide over to SLB. Would be great backup, but how high will the bidding go?
OLB:
Omar Duffy, 5th year, 53/57, mentor and former 2nd team OLB. His play diagnosis and BnR are through the roof, and his pass defending stats are stellar for a LB. I'm going to take a flyer on this guy in the hopes that he's even better than his bars would suggest.
DE:
Shannon Lincoln, 9th year, 54/54, a solid pass-rusher, he could help out if one of our starters went down
DT:
Glen Wilkerson, 5th year, 41/55 - strong, run stuffer, would give us good depth, could start
Roosevelt Taylor, 6th year, 43/47, decent all around, only bench player
CB:
Butch Garcia, 4th year, 50/50. Rated 67 in zone and 83 in BnR, plus an outstanding punt returner, this guy is a perfect backup/dime back
Safety:
Joseph Mayes, 6th year, 53/53, big pops against run, huge play diagnosis and 92 endurance. He's not all-around as good as I want for our key 4-4 safety, but his best bars are in right places. Fan Fave.
Ben Martin, 5th year, 38/44, decent against zone, but a mentor already, so may have some use, especially if we draft safety at 1.21
Joseph Keevil, 5th year, 47/49. Solid all the way around. If bidding doesn't go too high, this guy could be a decent backup.