QUARTERLY REPORT: Record (3-1)

Rushing O: #3 in yards, #2 in ypc
Passing O: #15
Scoring: #13

Rushing D: #1 - boo-yah!
Passing D: #21
Scoring D: #1

Turnover margin: #27

The success of our rushing game and rushing D are the reason we're sitting at 3-1 right now. The woeful underperformance of our secondary, however, is baffling. Perhaps we took a cohesion hit with the new players? But the fact we have only 1 INT through 4 games is a travesty.

A hammy pull for CB Donny Meadows is painful, but this should allow us to move CB Dexter Craig back into the starting lineup. Perhaps restoring our elite CB pair will pick up the INT totals. There's no question, however, that right now rookie SB Dan Pretko is struggling. He's been a non-factor, in fact, a liability. We might consider moving him to SS and putting FS Marvin Scwhartz in his spot. Not sure how to rectify the problem. Perhaps we'll just ride the storm a while longer and see if the rookie matures.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #152
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Man, I think Buddy Bongiovanni would look pretty good in that Bears linebacker corps on the weak side with Bucky Beaver on the strong side. How about an update on how he's progressed.

Also, are you leaving the lineup totally to the coaches, and if so, how do you plan on moving Pretko?

I say keep Pretko in for now. You're still winning games and it's only going to help his development. The guy's a stud but needs the playing time to get better.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #153
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Man, I think Buddy Bongiovanni would look pretty good in that Bears linebacker corps on the weak side with Bucky Beaver on the strong side. How about an update on how he's progressed.

Also, are you leaving the lineup totally to the coaches, and if so, how do you plan on moving Pretko?

I say keep Pretko in for now. You're still winning games and it's only going to help his development. The guy's a stud but needs the playing time to get better.

Buddy Bongiovanni is still with Minnesota, rated 39/53, and is 61/84 in RunD with no special teams contribution. Were he on our roster, I would have cut/traded him. We don't have a spot for him.

On a similar note, S Zach White, whom we debated heavily in this last draft, is rated 43/76, with 31/62 rating in RunD, which is better than I expected at draft time. Pretko, whom we took instead, is 47/82 with 37/86 in runD. Neither player is having a good rookie year statistically, but I like the guy we got.

As for lineups, as per house rules, I have complete control over defensive and special teams lineups and gameplans, but NO control over offensive lineups or gameplans.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #154
revrew
Team Chaplain

Game #5: Arizona (3-1) at Chicago (3-1)

A pair of interceptions in the first quarter gave us great field position, and RB Kelly Hayes took advantage of it, scoring a pair of TDs in the first frame. On the day Hayes was abso-freakin-lutely brilliant, rushing for 124 yards at 8.27 per carry and catching 5 of 5. QB Fernando Windsor played short and safe all day (blame our lack of playmakers at receiver), completing 20 of 30 for a meager 113 yards and no INTs.

On defense, we faced a stiff challenge in elite Arizona QB Isaac Gilmore and a coach who decided to throw the ball 65 times! And despite giving up a bunch of yards to such a determined passing attack, the defense really stepped up the big plays. Even with 3 secondary members out with injury, we defensed 8 passes and picked 3, including INTs by CB Barry Westbrook and MLB Dexter Lucas. Our pass rush, however, was even more devastating. We hurried the QB 16 times, grabbed 4 sacks, and knocked him down 5 other times. RDE Doug Conley led the charge with a sack, a block, 4 hurries and 4 knockdowns.

In the end, throwing the ball all day couldn't bring the Cardinals back from the early deficit, bone-crushing pass rush and clock-chewing Bear offense. Bears win, 23-16.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #155
revrew
Team Chaplain

Game #6: Chicago (4-1) at St. Louis (3-2)

Now, there's the Bears offense we've all come to know and hate. Coach only gives Kelly Hayes the ball 9 times and Fernando Windsor, despite an otherwise decent game, throws 3 picks to bury our offense. Heck, even K Rusty Schafluetzel botches 4th quarter FG, further putting us in the hole.

On defense, however, a strong performance keeps us in the game. We hold the Rams to 73 yards rushing and 186 yards passing. SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) leads the way with 7 tackles and CB Barry Westbrook grabs an INT. 11 defensed passes, including 4 from FS Marvin Schwartz and 3 from CB Dexter Craig stymie their offense.

In the end, however, that missed field goal just burns, and Chicago loses, 17-14.

The good news is that the schedule is about to get easier, as we've already played 3 teams in top 10 power ratings, the Cowboys (#2), Rams (#4) and Cardinals (#6).
Old 11-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #156
revrew
Team Chaplain

Game #7: Minnesota (0-6) at Chicago (4-2)

The Bears' offense came alive vs. the hapless Vikes, tallying 422 total yards, powered by 243 yards rushing. Both RB Kelly Hayes (147 yards) and last year's draft pick RB Van Mason (93 yards) had solid outings. QB Fernando Windsor, however, continued peppering his high-completion, short-passing game with way too many INTs. Three in this contest.

On defense, SB Dan Pretko finally came through with a strong performance, leading the team with 6 tackles and batting down a pair of passes. RDE Shannon Lincoln has been a very solid pickup on the bench, and now that star RDE Doug Conley is out with a hyperextended knee, Lincoln is stepping up in pass rushing duties.

The teams traded a pair of defensive TDs to drive up the score (ours was a fumble return by LDE Ben Erickson), but Bears walk away with a win, 31-20.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #157
revrew
Team Chaplain

Game #8: Chicago (5-2) at Detroit (3-4)

RB Kelly Hayes had an awful game, averaging less than 2 per carry, but RB Van Mason gave us a bit of a punch coming off the bench. Once again, QB Fernando Windsor completed a decent pass percentage, but low yard totals and a pick made it tough to put points on the board. With WR Tyrone Lee out to injury and Kelly Hayes struggling in this one, we have NO big-play threat. K Rusty Schafluetzel, however, was absolute money, a perfect 4/4 on FGs, including one from 55 out.

Our defense, however, was ready to roar. 12 passes defensed and a relentless pass rush terrorized their QB, some guy named Hardy Holleran, whom you may have heard of. 2nd year DT Shawn Foreman had an outstanding game with 2.5 sacks, 2 hurries and leading the team with 7 tackles. Youngster SB Dan Pretko had his second solid performance in a row. We held them to 64 yards rushing and only 23 completions on 57 attempts.

In the end, the defense and special teams were enough to make up for our struggling offense, and Bears win, 19-14.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #158
revrew
Team Chaplain

SEASON 3 HALFWAY REPORT:

Chicago sits at 6-2 atop the division, tied in record with Green Bay, but boasting a 1/2 game better in-division record.

Rushing O: #1 in yards and #1 in ypc - Kelly Hayes is carrying this offense
Passing O: #24
Scoring O: #10

RB Kelly Hayes has been the heart and soul of this offense, #4 in the NFL in rushing right now.
QB Fernando Windsor has thrown 8 TDs and 11 INTs. Yes, he's young and struggling with our dufus wideouts, but that INT tendency is worrisome for his long-term future. Nonetheless, we signed him to a 5-year extention quick, before he hit 40 in current rating.

Rushing D: #2 - And this despite playing nickel nearly 100% of the time
Passing D: #23 - baffling
Scoring D: #2

Turnover margin: #31 - And this is why we aren't kicking butt. With our rushing game firing better, you'd think we'd be all-stars, but the defense is inexplicably short on INTs and Fernando Windsor is giving them away like candy at a parade, #1 in the league right now with 11.

MLB Dexter Lucas leads the team with 54 tackles, a tad off his usual pace, but still having a good year.
SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) has been a great addition, and he's only getting better.
RDE Doug Conley is developing into a beast. We want him back from injury.

In our secondary, CB Barry Westbrook, CB Dexter Craig and FS Marvin Schwartz have been solid in knocking down passes, but strangely INTs have been nonexistent. Our SB and SS positions, however, have been a real liability. We may be looking for a new SS next year, while hoping SB Dan Pretko grows into the position.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #159
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Do you just have a macro so that whenever you type "Bucky Beaver" it's followed by "(yes, that's his real name)"?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #160
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Do you just have a macro so that whenever you type "Bucky Beaver" it's followed by "(yes, that's his real name)"?

SI

Old 11-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #161
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

I've enjoyed seeing that consistently, too.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #162
revrew
Team Chaplain

Game #9: Chicago (6-2) at Seattle (5-3)

The best two defenses in the league go at it, and we go in with only 4 healthy WRs. But try as they might, it's hard to stop our 1-2 RB punch, with RB Kelly Hayes piling up 95 yards and RB Van Mason adding another 63. QB Fernando Windsor dodged the INT bullet and TE Marty Benton was on fire, 6 of 6 for 125 yards, giving us a puncher's chance in this slugfest.

The defense was as advertised, SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) leading the way with 10 tackles. Backup RDE Shannon Lincoln stepped up, as he has all year, with 2 sacks and 4 knockdowns. DT Shawn Foreman has been on a tear, adding 1.5 sacks of his own. Seattle was stuffed, with only 49 rushing yards (to our 174) and 165 in the air.

A thrilling, gutsy win for the Bears, 16-10.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #163
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bucky Beaver needs to be joined next season by Mack Money on the weak side.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #164
revrew
Team Chaplain

Game 10: Green Bay (6-3) at Chicago (7-2)

In facing our top division rival, RB Kelly Hayes breaks loose and takes the first play 80 yards to the house. The Bears would finish the day with 196 yards rushing. QB Fernando Windsor, however, had one of the worst days ever seen in a QB. Completing just 10 passes for a total of 62 yards and a pair of INTs, he singlehandedly forced the defense to win this one for us.

Welcome back from injury, RDE Doug Conley. The former #5 overall pick leads the team with 8 tackles, racks up 2 sacks, 4 hurries and 4 knockdowns. DE Shannon Lincoln adds 2 sacks and 5 knockdowns of his own, as the pass rush brutalizes the Packers. FS Marvin Schwartz and SS Joseph Mayes each add an INT, and Green Bay is on the ropes.

A stout, 3-down stand inside our own 10-yard line in the 4th gives us this nail-biting win, 10-3. Now THAT's Bear football.

Last edited by revrew : 11-12-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #165
revrew
Team Chaplain

Game 11: Chicago (8-2) at Tennessee (4-6)

Kelly Hayes ran for nearly 11 per carry and caught 7 passes, but coach didn't call his number nearly enough. The moron put the game in QB Fernando Windsor's hands. Thankfully, the kid did alright, tossing a pair of TDs to only 1 INT.

But it's our defense that had to win this one, and they nearly didn't. MLB Dexter Lucas led the teanm in tackles and got a sack, but there was little else to celebrate until overtime, when backup OLB Omar Duffy scooped up a fumble and ran it back for the game-winning score, 26-20.

Good news: Green Bay dropped another, and suddenly we have a 3-game lead in the division.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #166
revrew
Team Chaplain

Game 12: Atlanta (6-5) at Chicago (9-2)

Kelly Hayes takes our second snap 69 yards to the house, then promptly pulls his groin on the next possession. The worst possible injury has just hit us. In even more bad news, backup RB Van Mason, who has had some highlight reels this year, was also injured and is now gone for the year. Our unstoppable ground game is suddenly gone.

In this contest, however, we got a boost from reserve CB Butch Garcia, who ran back a punt return in the 3rd for a TD. But would it be enough?

Heck yeah, with this kind of defensive outing. The Falcons are held to 66 rushing yards and 115 passing yards, as CB Barry Westbrook grabs a key INT and 9 different players record QB sacks or hurries. Atlanta is completely shut down and shut out, Chicago wins, 20-0.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #167
ozias
High School JV

It looks as though this team is playoff bound!!

Hopefully you can pickup an elusive RB in FA to take over for Mason.
ozias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:57 AM   #168
UK Rookie
n00b

Defence,Defence,Defence!
UK Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #169
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozias View Post
It looks as though this team is playoff bound!!

Hopefully you can pickup an elusive RB in FA to take over for Mason.

PLAYOFF PICTURE

At 10-2, we currently have the best record in the NFL and a 3-game lead over division rival Green Bay.

Our remaining opponents have records of 2-10, 3-9, 9-3, and 7-5 (Green Bay). The next two games look like solid opportunities to clinch the playoffs, even without Hayes. And the stellar RB (averaging 6.75 yards per carry this season) should return from injury for the playoffs.

To help fill out our depth chart, we signed RB Kenyon Horton (22/31), a 3rd-year player originally from Hawaii. At 6'0 230 with decent speed and elusiveness, he looks like a poor man's Hayes. He'll likely get carries in our first couple of games, splitting time with 3rd-stringer RB Ellis Meyer.

At the 3/4 mark, our defense is seeing some improvement, #1 in rushing yards allowed and moving up to #20 in passing yards allowed. A closer look reveals it's even better than that. We're actually #2 in opponents' completion percentage and #2 in yards per attempt, #3 in yards per catch. But opponents are throwing the ball an average of 45 times per game against us, a whopping 5 passes per game more than the #2 team, which totals up to 201 MORE passes thrown against us than the #1 team. Suddenly being #20 in passing yards allowed doesn's seem as bad.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #170
revrew
Team Chaplain

Game 13: Jacksonville (2-10) at Chicago (10-2)

Against inferior opponents, QB Fernando Windsor has done better this season, and in this one, he completed 60% for 214, 2 TDs and 1 INT. The runningback committee actually did decent in Hayes' absence, rushing for 148 yards at a 4.61 per carry clip.

But this was a game about our defense. 3 INTs led the way, including a pick-6 by FS Charles Talley. CB Barry Westbrook completely shut 'em down, no catches, 2 defensed, and 1 pick. But player of game goes to rotational DE Shannon Lincoln (wow, has he been a find this year), who tacked on 3.5 sacks, 3 blocked passes and 2 knockdowns.

The Jags are held to 188 yards total, as we win an easy one, 21-6.

The really good news, however, is that this win CLINCHES A PLAYOFF SPOT for us and puts us 1 win away from winning the division!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #171
revrew
Team Chaplain

Game 14: Chicago (11-2) at Minnesota (3-10)

Slow, steady and sure for the offense in this one, as we have scoring opportunities on 7 of our possessions and punt on 5. QB Fernando Windsor played solid, if unspectacular short ball, completing 24 of 34 for and 209 yards, no INTs and an 86.5 rating. Plus, he bootlegged a TD into the endzone. K Rusty Schafluetzel kicked 5 of 5 on FGs, winning player of the game.

On defense, SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) was the man, leading the team with 8 tackles and adding a sack and INT. FS Joseph Mayes batted down 3 balls, making it miserable for the Vikes to run OR pass.

Bears win, 29-12.

AND ... with that win and a Green Bay loss, we have secured the division! Furthermore, we're guaranteed a bye in the playoffs.

Only bad news is we're getting very beat up on the injury front, losing MLB Dexter Lucas now for about 3 weeks with a stress fracture.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #172
revrew
Team Chaplain

Game 15: Indianapolis (10-4) at Chicago (12-2)

Tough game, hosting the league's #1 defense and my pick to represent the AFC in the SuperBowl. But what a game - as both teams pass for exactly the same number of yards and rush for only 1 yard off from exactly the same. Statistically, this game was a dead heat.

Offensively, we had very little go our way. In fact, the best performance we saw was from P Fred Preston, who averaged 46.3 yards per punt and still pinned 4 of 6 inside the 20.

Defense, however, was where the game was decided. DE Shannon Lincoln was on fire yet again with a pair of sacks, and 2nd string MLB Mercury Brennan led the team with 9 tackles. SB Dan Pretko made his impact felt with a couple of passes defensed, but the game was a battle down the wire until, with 2:32 left in the 4th, Shannon Lincoln hit their QB, stripped the ball, and RDE Doug Conley scooped it up and rumbled 46 yards to the house!

Chicago wins! Chicago wins, 23-13.

Can you feel the excitement now? We beat one of the NFL's best without Kelly Hayes and wrapped up homefield advantage with the #1 seed in the NFC!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #173
Travis
Pro Rookie

Nicely done! I'd imagine there was some cheering after the defensive touchdown?

Will be very interesting if this matchup pops up again to finish the post season.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #174
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Nicely done! I'd imagine there was some cheering after the defensive touchdown?

Will be very interesting if this matchup pops up again to finish the post season.

Thanks! But first another matchup that may pop up again in the postseason:

Game 16: Chicago (13-2) at Green Bay (8-7)

Offensively, this game was all QB Fernando Windsor, as no other offensive player even bothered showing up. WR Ian Cooley only caught 5 of 16 passes. Our running backs didn't play, as Windsor was the leading rusher and threw the ball 55 times. This does not bode well. Even our kicker missed a crucial, 4th quarter FG.

On defense, SB Dan Pretko led the team with 11 tackles and RDE Doug Conley added 2 sacks.

But in the end, a 95-yard fumble return broke our backs in this one, and the missed FG looms large, as we lose a game we really shouldn't have, 16-13.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #175
revrew
Team Chaplain

REGULAR SEASON RECAP:

Rushing O: #4
Passing O: #26
Scoring O: #12

Turnover Margin: -5 (#25)

Rushing D: #1 (and this, running a nickel D nearly 100% of the time)
Passing D: #17 (not bad, considering we had 690 passes attempted against us. Closest other team had 634 attempts against. The least passed-on team saw only 473 attempts).
Scoring D: #1 - (and by a big margin. Opponents averaged 12.1 against us, the next team 15.4)

Despite the ineptitude of our offense, particularly in the passing game (and all the turnovers), we grind out a 13-3 record. One of the reasons we saw all the passes against us: We led the league in forcing opponents into 3rd down. That in part, because we're #3 in the league in sacks, #1 in QB hurries and #2 in passes defensed. That makes for a lot of 3rd and longs.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #176
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I remember a Bears team that went 13-3 with zero offense and all defense. (Though Jim Miller is a far cooler guy than Fernando could ever be.)

Let's hope you do a slight bit better than them in the playoffs.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #177
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I remember a Bears team that went 13-3 with zero offense and all defense. (Though Jim Miller is a far cooler guy than Fernando could ever be.)

Let's hope you do a slight bit better than them in the playoffs.

Thanks. Before we move into the post-season, one more regular season recap:

ROOKIE REPORT:

SB Dan Pretko 45/82 --> 63/82 Started all 16 games. After a rough start to the season, he saw some improvement, moving up to #3 on the team with 65 tackles and 23 assists. Swatted down 9 passes, but allowed 43 completions and brought in zero interceptions. He's got great upside, but will need to continue making strides against the pass.

CB Courtney Murphy 23/49 --> 25/49 Played in 13 games, mostly as a spot reserve, particularly in the dime. He pulled down 1 pick and defensed 1 pass, but he also allowed 18 was generally a liability in the passing game. On special teams he forced a fumble. Still, the kid has potential and could stick around as a reserve.

DT Mel Thomas 27/48 --> 29/48 Snuck into 6 games and generally did nothing to impress. His future here is not looking good.

WR Maurice Peppers 21/49 --> 22/49 Played in 15 games, started 1. Caught 11 balls for 119 yards, no TDs, 2 drops. His future is also uncertain, but he has an upside.

TE Ted Tillman 28/54 --> 32/54 Played in all 16 games, but mostly on special teams. Still, he caught 15 of the 16 balls thrown his way. Given his longsnapping ability, Tillman will definitely have a spot next season. He may work his way into being a starter and was a real gem in the 5th round.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #178
revrew
Team Chaplain

WEEK 1 PLAYOFFS

We have the bye, but that doesn't mean there isn't big news. Returning back to 100% from injury:

MLB Dexter Lucas
DT Shawn Foreman

and ....

RB Kelly Hayes!

That's like the most important bye week ever. We only have 2 significant injuries, backup RB Van Mason and CB Donny Meadows, who tweaked a hammy early in the season and hasn't seen any action. At this point, even if he did come back healthy, I'm not sure I would stick him in the lineup.

In the games, wildcard Green Bay lost to Tampa Bay, Indianapolis had a bye, and NFC West winner Arizona stomped the Eagles and will now come to Chicago.

Looking ahead:

We beat Arizona 23-16 in week 5 of the regular season. The Cardinals tried throwing the ball 65 times on us, but a pair of early INTs gave us solid field position and early scores. The Cardinals bring one of the best QBs in the game in 80/80-rated Isaac Gilmore and the league's #1 passing offense. They also have a solid, shut-down secondary, so the only way to beat them is on the ground. But beat them you can, as the Cardinals are dead last in the NFL in both rushing yards allowed and rushing yards per carry allowed.

Keys to victory: RB Kelly Hayes has to take over the game, and our secondary needs to step it up, possibly even pull in multiple INTs like we did in Week 5.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #179
revrew
Team Chaplain

PLAYOFFS, ROUND 2: Arizona (11-6) at Chicago (13-3)

We started the game on fire when CB Dexter Craig picked off an Isaac Gilmore pass and set up a Kelly Hayes TD. We tack on a field goal, and suddenly we're up 10-0, and it's looking just like the week 5 victory.

Then 8 plays later, we knew we were in trouble. RB Kelly Hayes went down to injury and would not return. Key to winning #1 toast. By halftime, we had lost our #2 and #3 RB to injury also. For the entire second half we ran with our FB.

Consequently, the game turned into an aerial battle between QB Fernando Windsor and Isaac Gilmore. That's not gonna be good. Props to Windsor, however, as he threw for 241 yards, 2 TDs and 1 pick, which ain't bad.

On defense, FA pickup and bench player extraordinairre DE Shannon Lincoln hurried Gilmore 5 times. But he never actually put him on the ground. None of our pass rushers could register a sack. SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) gave up 7 passes completed without a deflection, and the Bears just wilted under the light of the playoffs.

The nail in the coffin came when our FB fumbled the ball away on our own 8 yard line late in the 3rd. Arizona went in for a score and never looked back. This was a game we could have won, but too many things conspired against us, from injury to disappointing performances. Thus, the first playoff game for the Bears is a loss, 31-24.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #180
Travis
Pro Rookie

Well crap, that was not how it was supposed to go at all. That's brutal luck with all the injuries at RB.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #181
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Jesus, you lost *all* three RB's? Yow.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #182
ozias
High School JV

That really is a crappy way to lose your first playoff game.

I see FOF conspired against you, and killed your RB corp completely.

Hopefully next year you don't have that problem.
ozias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #183
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Jesus, you lost *all* three RB's? Yow.

Yup. That was just cold. Our turf is Very Good, too. Just brutal.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #184
revrew
Team Chaplain

YEAR-END WRAP-UP

Indianapolis and Arizona both lost in their respective conference championship games. Oakland won the SuperBowl.

End-of-season developments:

DE Shannon Lincoln, our bench player, nonetheless won all-NFL 1st team honors with 15.5 sacks, 10 blocked passes, 26 hurries, and 37 QB knockdowns. He only started 3 games for us.

P Fred Preston, who had his worst season in 3 years, nonetheless walked away with all-league 2nd team honors.

Our backup QB, T.J. McCargo, was the only Bear to announce his retirement in the offseason.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #185
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Bummer

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #186
revrew
Team Chaplain

LOOKING AHEAD:

Going into our fourth year, it's clear we've built a dominating defense, a new "Monsters of the Midway." We're an elite NFL team and feel the playoffs loss was highway robbery last year.

But that doesn't mean we're as good as we could be. QB Fernando Windsor is way too INT-prone. Our receivers just aren't capable of breaking a big play. We should look to see if there are players available - in FA or draft - who can cut down on INTs and give us more speed on the edges.

On defense, our biggest problem is age, as CB Barry Westbrook - who led the team again last year with 6 INTs - has to start dropping off sometime, and LDE Ben Erickson is already starting to fade. We could really use an upgrade at SS, and our DTs are about the only position group in which we don't have elite players.

We're also in a "win now" sort of mode, so long as RB Kelly Hayes is burning up the track, so we may consider leaning toward trades, rather than draft. If that's an option.

Staff hiring:

No changes are needed from a 13-3 team with an overachieving offense.

Given our needs for wideouts and the potential of WR Maurice Peppers, he was sent to summer league.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #187
revrew
Team Chaplain

FA1 targets:
LDE Albert Ross 55/55 - 6'4, 277 run stuffer. Would be solid backup/potential replacement if LDE Ben Erickson goes down

DT Deion Biodrowski 35/54 - 6'3, 308 potential run stuffer. Has potential to be solid reserve player

QB Dwight Moore 24/37 - He's a 5th year player, but knows 14 formations and is a mentor and affinity match. Not likely to push Fernando Windsor, however.

WR Gene Nelms 38/38 - A 10th year player, but he's a mentor and has a good combination of BPR, adjust to ball and avoid drops. Might help our WR corps be more explosive if his bars hold and he becomes a starter.

SS Leo McKenzie - 65/65 - He's not the run stuffer we like, but I might move him back to FS, because he's a pass defensing fiend. We could move Schwartz then to SS.

Last edited by revrew : 11-22-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #188
revrew
Team Chaplain

FREE AGENCY:

DT Deion Biodrowski 35/54 signed

But SS Leo McKenzie flew to Denver

BIG TRADE:
Looking at the safety market, we were able to see no other FA or 1st round draft pick worth grabbing. So we traded away last year's starting SS, Joseph Mayes and our 1st for a 4th and:

FS Mitch Flynn - 59/70 - In only his second year, Flynn was the Chargers' 1st round pick last year. He's a zone specialist (82/96), with strong bars in run defense (49/74) and interceptions (77/81). He's also touting a 100 rating in endurance and 93 in special teams. In other words, he's freaking perfect for us.

Picking up Flynn completes our secondary and enables us to move Schwartz to SS, where his 100 in run defense rating can really help out.

QB Dwight Moore 24/37 signs, giving us a mentor and an affinity match.

WR Gene Nelms 40/40 signs, and if he can hold his bars through TC, should give us a starter, a mentor and a BPR specialist. Score!

DE Ross Albert 55/55 is the last of our crop to sign, a solid LDE role player who is strong on run defense and punishing the hitter
Old 11-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #189
revrew
Team Chaplain

DRAFT DAY!

Some OK defensive talent in this draft, but it's going to get very interesting around the 3rd or 4th round, as there's some solid punters, fullbacks and other players who might be worth looking at outside of the typical defensive selections. Sadly, there's almost no CB talent in this draft, so the usual 2nd round or 3rd round steal might not be there.

After the FA trade, our first pick is the 2.30, which sucks. We may look at a trade up if this guy might be obtainable:

DT Antoine Henry - Only 2 blues, but with a volatility of 1, we hope his bars hold out. He's a top-notch run defender, has great play diagnosis and very solid pass rush skills. Again, if those bars hold, he could be a starter.

Otherwise, there's some safeties who might be worth gambling on, or some backup LBs we could take. Or, we could just take one of the elite punters on the board.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #190
revrew
Team Chaplain

Well, never mind that trade up. Henry went at 2.2. Nuts.

We're on the clock! Available at 2.30:

DT Vincent Caporicci - Blues in dash and agil, he's an affinity match and bars look like he'd be a solid backup. Strengths are runD and pass rush technique, which is nice. But starter? Probably not.

DT Irving Finch - Undersized pass rushing specialist. Blue in agility and a blazing, red 4.88 in dash, with the pass rush technique bar to match. Though only developed 8%, he could be a dime DT who does nothing but goes after the QB.

S Nathan Contois - His strength is runD and has a huge punishing hitter bar, which could mean breakout candidate. And in fact, he has 3 blue combines, but his bars don't show it. Volatility of 84, this guy really smells like a boomer. At worst, he'd be solid against the run, at best ...

S Dave Rasmussen - He's a tad slow and only has one blue, but it's in the place we like it, Position drill. His zone D bar matches it, and his PH bar is maxed out. If those and his other bars hold, he's the best of the players here. But his combines (outside of that Pdrill) are the worst. Volatility of 94, this could be a boom or bust guy.

Additionally, there are a pair of punters here who look like future pro-bowlers. Ratings wise, these are by far the best draft option here. Our current punter, however, is already a pro-bowler, yet in his 10th year.
Any input, faithful readers?
Old 11-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #191
MartinD
High School Varsity

Undersized DT with pass-rush skills usually means that a switch to DE will be worthwhile (although the 8% developed means that it'll be a while before he'll be a significant contributor).

A really good punter can be surprisingly valuable on a defence-first team, but I'd only draft one here if you really think that the guys you're looking at will definitely be gone before you pick again (particularly with there being two available that you like).
MartinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #192
Travis
Pro Rookie

Contois, Rasmussen, Finch in that order would be my voting preference.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #193
revrew
Team Chaplain

With the 2.30 pick, Chicago selects
2.30 SS Nathan Contois - a 6'0, 206 lb bruiser out of Middle Tennessee St. who is tough against the run and dishes out major punishment to ballcarriers. Our top scout has him rated 17/46, but some of our other scouts think he has a much higher ceiling.
The first of the punters falls at 3.13 to New England.

TRADE:

Chicago sends last year's uninspiring 3rd rounder, DT Mel Thomas, our 3.30 and 4.8 to Tennessee for the 3.14 and 4.16.

This enables us to select with the 3.14:
3.14 P Jon Shonek - a 6'3, 212 lb boot out of Tennessee. Scouts love his booming leg, and our top scout has him rated 61/86.

TRADE:

Chicago sends the 4.16 and 4.30 to Jacksonville for the 4.2, enabling us to move up to take an offensive player! While there isn't a decent QB, TE, WR, RB or even lineman left, we moved up because we saw an opportunity to grab:
4.2 FB Kris LeBlond - a 6'0, 246-pound bowling ball out of Alabama A&M with powerful run blocking and receiving skills. His combines had him among the fastest and most skilled FBs in the draft. Our scouts were super high on this guy and thrilled to see we could still get him in the 4th. Top scout rates him as 35/70.
At the 5.30, we need another safety right now like we need a hole in the head, but when a player you were considering in the second round is still there in the 5th, BTA dictates you pull the trigger. Thus, we select:
5.30 FS Dave Rasmussen a football smarts, hard-hitting safety out of Air Force. At 5'11, 194, he'll play FS only, but he specializes in zone defense, play diagnosis and hitting the snot out of people, so that's OK. Our scout has him rated 22/64.
At 6.30, we take a chance on:
6.30 RB Omar Duncan, a 5'10, 209-pound back with some speed and elusivness out of Wisconsin. Scouts see him as rated about 27/40.
And at 7.30, nearly Mr. Irrelevant, Chicago selects:
7.30 WR Donny Boivin, a smallish but speedy receiver out of Michigan. Our chief scout has him rated at only 17/31, but some of our other scouts think this kid has a higher ceiling. He broke some big plays in college. We'll see.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #194
Travis
Pro Rookie

Wow, nice draft day. That's a pretty nice gift at 5.30 but even without him that would have been a nice group to be adding to the team.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #195
revrew
Team Chaplain

LATE FA:

One major score! The big pickup is:

DT Casey Witt - A 7th year player rated 70/70 with a 100 rating in runD and 81 rating in pass rush strength. He will immediately slide into our starting DT spot, but get yanked in the dime. We've been looking for a powerhouse DT for some time, and now we have one.

Other signees:

FL Dean Norwood - 36/39 - He's undersized but can return kicks, is an affinity match, and most imporantly, is rated 96 in BPR. I don't know if coach will make him the starter or not, but he's got speed to burn.

RG Rick Parliman - 41/41 (was 40/40 before we signed him) - a 4th year player with exceptional affinity who scored a few pancakes for St. Louis last year. The even better news is that his bar is only orange, so he's going to go beyond that 41/41 and may become the best O-lineman we have (at least until his contract is up).

G Donnie Hawk - 40/40 - a 6'5, 354 pound beast of a guy with pass-protection specialities. I'll probably slide him over to LG, though he'll take an experience hit. Our guards were a weak spot on the O-line last year, now, they're the strength.

LT Arnie Irwin - 35/38 - a decent pass blocker who may grow some and gives us some depth.

QB Earnest Diegel - 35/35 - a 10th year player who knows 16 formations, he was Green Bay's starter last year and did fine, posting 15 TDs, 8 ints and an 82.5 rating. An affinity match as well, he gives us a decent backup option.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #196
revrew
Team Chaplain

Post TC movers/shakers:

QB Fernando Windsor gained a few, up to 42/42

RG Rick Parliman gained a few, up to 45/45

DE Lincoln Shannon, after his great year last year, plummeted 10 points to 38/38

LDE Ben Erickson continued his slide, dropping 7 points to 50/50

RDE Doug Conley picked up a few, to 71/71

CB Barry Westbrook only dropped a few, down to 61/61

SB Dan Pretko moved up in both current and potential, up to 72/82

Rookies:

2.30 SS Nathan Contois showed some of the growth we expected, up from 17/46 to 22/50. His ability to play zone is still very limited, but he's a good project player. Might be trade bait after a few seasons.

3.14 P Joh Shonek
stayed fairly static, dropping from 61/86 to 61/85. This creates a position battle, as I'm not sure we want to keep 2 punters.

4.2 FB Kris LeBlond didn't have as good a camp, but still looks like a great find for us, dipping slightly from 35/70 to 41/67. Starter!

5.30 FS Dave Rasmussen
- HELLO! Looks like we're looking at the starter of the future, as the draft gem boomed in camp, from 22/64 to 32/66. He'll likely push 2nd round pick Contois right out the door. Rasmussen rated 100 in punishing hitter, 82 in INTs and 27/87 in zoneD.

6.30 RB Omar Duncan looks to be what we thought he was, staying pretty static, from 27/40 to 29/39. With some speed and elusiveness, he could stick around.

7.30 SE Donny Boivin doesn't look like he'll make the roster, as his 17/31 precamp rating doesn't show much improvement, up to 19/31.

Considering our first pick was the 2.30, this looks like a heckuva draft. Very, very happy.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #197
revrew
Team Chaplain

PRESEASON #1: at Buffalo

The offense did OK in this game, except K Rusty Schafleutzel, who missed 3 field goals. The squad was also only 2 of 10 on third downs, which doesn't bode well. But we ran for 5.79 per rush, and you could tell our new receivers helped Fernando Windsor open up the passing game a bit. WR Gene Nelms, for example, caught 6 of 8 and WR Donnell Ellis brought in a 75-yard TD pass.

Defense, however, was disastrous. SB Dan Pretko may have led the team with 10 tackles, but the secondary was atrocious, despite all that talent, giving up 328 in the air. Oh, for a typical team that may not be the end of the world, but we expect and require better.

Those missed field goals cost us the game, Bears lose, 27-20.

PRESEASON #2: vs. Oakland

QB Fernando Windsor played pretty well, K Rusty Schafleutzel pulled it together, and things were going smoothly. But when reserve QB Earnest Deigel was put in ... wow, is that bad. Deigel finished 8 of 22 with a pair of INTs and a lost fumble.

Rookie P Jon Shonek was outstanding, and reserve MLB Mercury Brennan was a tackle machine, but with Deigel tossing the game, Oakland came back from being shut out over three quarters to score 23 in the 4th, handing us a loss, 23-12.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #198
revrew
Team Chaplain

PRESEASON #3: vs. Miami

We threw in mostly backups to knock the rust off, but give some mad props to RB Van Mason, who came back from injury with a vengeance, rushing for 121 yards on 18 carries for a 6.72 per rush average. FA pickup FL Dean Norwood showed off the wheels as well, with 6 catches for 101 yards.

But the story of the game was the defense, which pressured the Dolphins relentlessly (mostly when the starters came back in) and picked off FIVE passes. Woot! Reserve SLB Damon Norton, who was really only brought in to be an affinity match and special teams ace, grabbed 2 of the INTs. Looking at his bars (34/44), however, I'm thinking it's a preseason fluke.

Still, the defense powered us to a big win, 36-7.

PRESEAON #4: at San Diego

Rushing game not so hot in this one, as rookie Omar Duncan didn't get much traction. Our 2 reserve QBs, however, played much better and gave us a decent passing attack.

The real story again, however, was the defense, which put down the clamps and held the Chargers to 153 yards TOTAL offense. RDE Doug Conley, despite not starting, was a beast in the pass rush. Game ball to the secondary, which returned 2 INTs for touchdowns, one by 3rd string CB Dexter Craig and another by 4th string and special teams ace CB Butch Garcia. Pick sixes and shutout for the big win, 34-0.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #199
revrew
Team Chaplain

SEASON 4 OUTLOOK/ROSTER UPDATE:

After posting the best record in the NFL last season, we're at the point of Championship or bust. Nothing less than a SuperBowl victory will satisfy us this year. In our way, an improving division, where we expect the Packers again to fight us for the division crown. In our way, of course, is also injury and the general ineptitude of our offense. We play the NFC East, which contains top powerhouse Dallas, and the AFC North, in which ALL 4 teams last season posted winning records. Sheesh. If we do win it all this year, it will be because we deserved it. This is no primrose path.

Here's the squad taking us in:

QB
Fernando Windsor 42/42 - A fairly solid young player who nonetheless throws too many picks and stinks on 3rd down. Yeah, this is a liability.

RB
Kelly Hayes 43/43 - Lightning in a bottle with a career 5.83 per rush average. If only the coach would give him the d$%# ball!
Van Mason 30/30 - Injury took a little of the shine off, but the 3rd year player still has mad wheels.

FB
Kris LeBlond 41/67 - The rookie will only be with us a while, but hopefully he can make an impact. He's a run blocker and a receiver (not a rusher), and could one day be one of the league's best (probably after house rules force us to let his contract expire).

TE
Patrick Alabaso 44/44 - Our longsnapper is also a decent receiving target
Marty Benton 44/44 - Another on our roster of offensive bloomers that we won't be able to resign, Benton caught 500 yards last year and is a quiet chain-mover

WR
Gene Nelms 39/39 - We have much more speed now, and this guy can burn rubber, but how often will he be targeted? Our whole crew suffers in the route running department
Donnell Ellis 34/34 - Coach thinks the long-time Bear is a good cohesion fit in the starting lineup. Unfortunately, our WR crew has very poor route running skills
Dean Norwood 37/37 - The speedy youngster plays the slot this year, and he's an exciting addition

OL
I hope we win it this year, because we have a handful of guys who have boomed beyond the 40/40 house rule and their contracts are up, so we can't resign them. I'm just too dang good at spotting talent! Finding someone who stays a 39/39 just ain't happenin'.

P
Fred Preston 75/75 - He's a stud. A major stud.
Jon Shonek 62/85 - Yep, we kept 2 punters. Preston gives us a better chance of winning right now, but if we don't win it this year (spit) Shonek will be the future

K
Rusty Schafluetzel 80/80 - His accuracy took a major hit last year, we're hoping it was a fluke. He is money from downtown, however, converting on 8 of 11 from 50+ last season.

LDE
Ben Erickson 50/50 - We're starting to see some aging here, but for cohesion sake, I think he'll start
Albert Ross 55/55 - The kid deserves a shot, and he'll be chomping at the bit if Erickson is injured

RDE
Doug Conley 71/71 - He's da man. In his 3rd year, I expect all-league honors right around the corner for a guy rated 100/100 in pass rush technique.
Shannon Lincoln 38/38 - Don't let the low ratings fool you. He led us with 15.5 sacks off the bench last year and will get his reps when we're in the dime.

DT
Casey Witt 70/70 - A run stuffing beast who can move the pile. He's transitioning from a 3-4 to 4-3 scheme, so I don't know yet if he can rush the passer much
Timothy Emmons 55/55 - Do-it-all player who gives us cohesion help.
Glen Wilkerson 51/55 - Simply a poor man's version of Witt
Sean Foreman 50/50 - A poor man's Emmons

ILB
Dexter Lucas 83/83 - He's an animal. Rated 100 in runD and 100 in play diagnosis, he's only limited from all-league honors by all the talent around him gobbling up his stats.
Mercury Brennan 62/62 - He'd be a starter anywhere else, gives us good assurance and affinity match

OLB
Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) 77/77 - All-around athlete with high bars in every area, a phenomenal asset
William Shedd 58/58 - Defends run, rushes passer, special teams ace. Just don't ask him to defend the pass

CB
Donny Meadows 70/70 - Was injured all last year, so we don't know how good he is. He hasn't played up to his bars, but his bars are impressive
Barry Westbrook 61/61 - The old vet has held up very well through the years and has 21 INTs over the last 3 seasons.
Dexter Craig 53/53 - He's always played above his bars and contributes on special teams, too.
Butch Garcia 50/50 - Poor man's Dexter Craig

SB
Dan Pretko 75/82 - He showed flashes at the end of his rookie year, but he needs to step it up as a sophomore. This is his year to shine. Solid against the run, but we need him to improve against the pass.

SS
Marvin Schwartz 82/82 - He's a bit undersized, but he makes up for it with tenacity. Rated 100 against the run, plays very well against the pass, just needs to step up his INT level.

FS
Mitch Flynn 71/71 - The newcomer, he brings a 100 zoneD rating and grabbed a pair of picks in his rookie season. Like Pretko, his sophomore season will be an opportunity to be a real difference-maker

Return men
FL Dean Norwood piled up over 1,000 yards in kick returns last season for Buffalo and has 2 TDs in 3 years of return duty. He could provide a spark.
CB Butch Garcia averaged 12.8 with a TD on punt returns last year and is a solid guy for the job
CB Dexter Craig gives us depth at both return spots
Old 12-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #200
revrew
Team Chaplain

WEEK 1: Minnesota (0-0) at Chicago (0-0)

This was the kind of game that makes me wonder if we can win a championship at all. Kelly Hayes was ineffective, we started the game with 3 straight 3 and outs. Fernando Windsor threw 3 INTs. Yuck, yuck, yuck. But QB Fernando Windsor also threw 3 TDs, including 2 to brand new receivers with speed, and one to Kelly Hayes. Speed kills.

All that was needed was the defense to show up. But ... surrendering a kick return for TD made it tough. This game came down to the wire. MLB Dexter Lucas led the team with 12 tackles, DE Doug Conley was in the backfield all game, knocking the QB down 5 times and pressuring him another 4 times. In the end, it was the secondary that stepped up the biggest, however: 9 defensed passes and 2 INTs, including one from CB Dexter Craig in the waning minute to seal the victory, 31-24.