Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
korme
Go Reds

ping: Doctors in the House - foot injury

Saturday afternoon, I took a pretty tough tumble and landed on the inside of my left foot, in the upper big toe area. I was met with extreme pain and immediate swelling. I attempted to walk on it for a little bit but by an hour I found myself unable to put pressure on it.

It's now Tuesday, and I don't know if any swelling has gone down, but there's no more pain and I can at best limp around, though I'm hopping as much as possible (no crutches).

Without health insurance, I am hoping it is a sprain or just severe bruising as I don't want to visit a doctor if I don't have to. I attached some pics in the spoilers below (they are feet pics, I figured I should put em in spoilers ).

Any advice one could lend? I've been taking 800mg Ibuprofen and keeping it on ice/elevated as much as I can.

Thanks in advance!

Spoiler

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've had mixed results with this on ankles - first time I hurt my left ankle about 9 years ago, I dealt with it for 4 days before the wife forced me to go to the doctor. It was broken (although I think that's misleading - it's not like it was hanging by the bone, just a small bone chip had broken off).

A couple of summers ago, I severely sprained my right ankle and it stayed swelled up for 2 weeks before it eventually went away.

Right now, I'm dealing with some pain in my left foot that's been bothering me off and on for 2 months, but this weekend was not good. I start an adult soccer league this Thursday, so we'll see how bad it really is. I just don't want to find out it's damaged because it's freaking summer and I don't want to be in a boot like I was back in 2001. If I can walk on it (and run - I jog regularly and it doesn't hurt until the day after), then I'll put up with it until fall or winter.

So... I'd say I'm probably not a good person to take advice from on this sort of thing.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-01-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
Rizon
Pro Starter

Go to the doctor.
Or cut your foot off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Pyser
Pro Rookie

doctor
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The obvious answer is doctor since you don't want to risk infection and a much larger medical bill. I would look and see if there are any free clinics nearby.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
korme
Go Reds

Well, crap.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Not A Doctor: But, having sprained my ankle on more than one occaison, that doesn't look much like an ankle sprain.

So, yeah. Find a free clinic and have it looked at is prolly for the best.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
Swaggs
Coordinator

Go to a primary care or clinic, rather than the ER and you will keep your costs down.

Go easy on the Ibuprofen -- especially that large of a dose. It can cause damage to your stomach if you use it for too long (which you may be pushing if you've been taking since Saturday).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
korme
Go Reds

That's the recommended dose from my mom, who is an expanded function dental assistant.

I think I'm going to look up some doctor's offices.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #10
korme
Go Reds

Nothing like sittin here in u.c and dealing with loud trashy people who aren't minding their own damn business
Old 06-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
RainMaker
General Manager

A regular doctor is just going to send you in for an X-Ray. I'd honestly give it a week before going. It looks like a sprain and even if it is something that is broken, you aren't going to be doing anymore damage to it.

And 800mg of Ibuprofen is not going to destroy your kidneys. You can take 2400mg in a day if you really needed to (although a doctor would probably want to OK it first). The damage is in long term effects if you were taking this for years.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #12
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
And 800mg of Ibuprofen is not going to destroy your kidneys. You can take 2400mg in a day if you really needed to (although a doctor would probably want to OK it first). The damage is in long term effects if you were taking this for years.

2400 mg for 3-5 days is probably fine (although that is a pretty heavy dosage), but if you get up to 7-10 days it will almost certainly cause you stomach discomfort, diarrhea, indigestion and/or constipation and potentially stomach bleeding. A doctor once recommended alternating between Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen to me.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
2400 mg for 3-5 days is probably fine (although that is a pretty heavy dosage), but if you get up to 7-10 days it will almost certainly cause you stomach discomfort, diarrhea, indigestion and/or constipation and potentially stomach bleeding. A doctor once recommended alternating between Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen to me.

I really think it depends on the person as I know one whole summer I was taking 2400 - 3200 Mgs a day for 3 months straight and had no problems at all.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #14
korme
Go Reds

Doctor came in staring at my foot: "You waited three days to see me on that thing! Wow. I'm pretty sure it's broken bud."

(...do some x-rays)

Doc (stunned): That's a shocker. You got lucky. You fell on it really nicely, not breaking it or anything. It's probably one of the deeper bone bruises I've ever seen.

---

So long story short, I got some heavy duty anti-inflammatorys and should be ready to go back to work by Thursday or Friday. Great success!
Old 06-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

At what cost $$-wise?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #16
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I recommend you start drinking heavily
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #17
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk View Post

Immediately.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #18
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk View Post

Doc asked me if I had any questions and I said well, I probably know the answer to this but can I drink on this stuff? And he said he wouldn't recommend it.

I mean... he didn't say no.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #19
digamma
Torchbearer

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #20
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

I haven't seen that movie in a while.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #21
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I didn't want to say anything as orthopedics is by far my weakest area, but I would have put money on it being broken from the appearance in the picture. Sorry you spent the money, but I still think that was the right call.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote