Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #51
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Funny...the majority of the guys I know in the army (and the marines come to think of it) rank SPR as one of their top 3 favorite movies. Right up there with...

Blackhawk Down

It's a funny thing, what makes people want to enlist.

As far as whether I wanted to enlist...I assure you nothing on this earth would ever convince me to join an organization whose sole purpose is to kill.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-12-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #52
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Favorite movies and reasons for joining the military are two very, very different things. Band of Brothers, SPR, Blackhawk Down, etc...are all on my "watch them whenever they are one" list but that doesn't mean I want to run out and enlist...they are great movies.

If those movies were indeed their motivation...yikes...then I guess it does take all kinds to make the world go 'round...good on them for doing it, regardless.

My dad was in the military but refuses to watch any of those movies because he says he already knows what being in the military is about...he doesn't need Hollywood to tell him what they "think" it's like.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #53
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I haven't walked out on a movie in a theater (if I've paid $8-10 for it, I'm damn well going to enjoy the massive screen and sound at least).

I also enjoyed The Thin Red Line, but yes, it's more of a philosophical view on war rather than your traditional war movie. But that expectation will make some people hate it.

Oh, and I really like Vicky Christina Barcelona, but I'm a Woody Allen fan, so...
Old 07-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #54
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I own SPR, and I've probably watched it a dozen times by now. There's nothing wrong with it as a movie, just as long as you don't look at it as a drama film. It's definitely an "action flick" to the bone. I see the first 15 minutes as a "look at us, we're America, we can fight through anything in just 15 minutes time!" Maybe if they set it up to show 150 different waves of infantry getting mowed down...then it would make people shy away from war.

The only drama in the movie is when the hell are they going to find him. It is an action movie though for sure. The one character I couldn't stand was the Colonel or Major (can't remember his rank) that is in just about any WWII movie these days and is always a military adviser to the movie he's in. As for the length of that scene, you have to compress time or the whole movie would have to be called, "We Didn't Know About Having to Save Private Ryan Because We Never Got Off the Beach".

I do have to respectfully disagree with you on opening scene at Normandy. I think it showed the brutality of that campaign and that the people that did make it were not only surprised that they made it, but, felt extremely lucky that they weren't one of the dead on the beach. Tom Sizemore's character being an example of that when he scooped up the dirt and put it in a jar/can and Tom Hanks' character with his hands that won't stop shaking. I'll have to watch it again, but, I just don't recall too much rah-rah or gung ho-ness to it like you would see in a John Wayne movie.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #55
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Funny...the majority of the guys I know in the army (and the marines come to think of it) rank SPR as one of their top 3 favorite movies. Right up there with...

Blackhawk Down

It's a funny thing, what makes people want to enlist.

As far as whether I wanted to enlist...I assure you nothing on this earth would ever convince me to join an organization whose sole purpose is to kill.

I enlisted because I wanted to get a hold of some of that Arcturian poon tang.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 07-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #56
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Favorite movies and reasons for joining the military are two very, very different things. Band of Brothers, SPR, Blackhawk Down, etc...are all on my "watch them whenever they are one" list but that doesn't mean I want to run out and enlist...they are great movies.

If those movies were indeed their motivation...yikes...then I guess it does take all kinds to make the world go 'round...good on them for doing it, regardless.

My dad was in the military but refuses to watch any of those movies because he says he already knows what being in the military is about...he doesn't need Hollywood to tell him what they "think" it's like.

Well...more than one of them have specifically told me they were all-the more motivated to join because of those movies.

My grandfather was drafted into the Navy during WWII, and as a Jew nonetheless. It effectively ended his bid to become a professional baseball player (he had very recently signed a minor league deal with the Reds) as a pitcher. He wasn't big on war movies either.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #57
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post

well played
Old 07-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #58
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Male or female?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #59
Kodos
Resident Alien

I thought Saving Private Ryan did a great job of showing how horrific war is without romanticizing it.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #60
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The only movie I ever ran out on was A River Runs Through It. It took 10 minutes and I was done.

This is one of those movies that I always forget about when I think of my favorite movies.

I love it. Is it considered a bad movie by most?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #61
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Male or female?

Doesn't matter, it's Arcturian.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #62
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

I never walked out of a movie, only because I inevitably fall asleep during opening credits...yes, I go to movies with the wife and daughter....
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #63
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
This is one of those movies that I always forget about when I think of my favorite movies.

I'm with Scoobz on this one. I own A River Runs Through It and still watch it with some regularity. Absolutely beautiful film. It always makes me want to visit Montana.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #64
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

You know what, now that I've looked it up on IMDB, it can't be the movie. I seemed to some how attach that movie title to whatever movie I'm confusing it with. The movie I saw had to come out in late 1990 or early 1991 and A River Runs Through It came out in 1992. All I remember is the first 10 minutes of two dudes running through the woods, with nothing or no one chasing them. I left, so I don't know what happened after that.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #65
SteveMax58
College Starter

I havent ever walked out on a movie. Probably because I have never made movie theaters a regular occurrence.

The closest I got was when I went to watch "No Holds Barred" as a kid. Being a huge wrestling fan at the time, it probably wouldnt have taken much for me to enjoy it...that said, that movie was a botched abortion.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #66
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

My father was in the Army for 20+ years, including a year in Vietnam. He never killed a soul...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #67
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
well played

Thank you sir!

Old 07-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #68
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
My father was in the Army for 20+ years, including a year in Vietnam. He never killed a soul...

Any thought that militarism doesn't exist for the purpose of killing is stemmed in some serious brainwashing.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #69
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
You know what, now that I've looked it up on IMDB, it can't be the movie. I seemed to some how attach that movie title to whatever movie I'm confusing it with. The movie I saw had to come out in late 1990 or early 1991 and A River Runs Through It came out in 1992. All I remember is the first 10 minutes of two dudes running through the woods, with nothing or no one chasing them. I left, so I don't know what happened after that.

Could it be A River Wild, with Kevin Bacon Meryl Streep? I've gotten the titles of these movies confused before.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #70
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Any thought that militarism doesn't exist for the purpose of killing is stemmed in some serious brainwashing.

I guess one could look at it as "defending" instead of killing.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #71
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
I guess one could look at it as "defending" instead of killing.

One certainly could...plus war is a necessary evil, and history has shown that war is the only thing that really gets things done...right?

Old 07-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #72
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Battlefield Earth is the only one, my god that was horrific. wtf was Travolta thinking? . wtf was anyone thinkoing? WTF was I thinking?

Last edited by k0ruptr : 07-12-2010 at 01:57 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #73
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Could it be A River Wild, with Kevin Bacon Meryl Streep? I've gotten the titles of these movies confused before.

I will look that up. Really just depends on what year and part of that year it was released.

EDIT: Nope. Just looked it up. That came out in 94. The movie I'm thinking of had to come out the last half of 90 or early 91.

Last edited by JediKooter : 07-12-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #74
chesapeake
College Starter

45 minutes into Highlander II I came to the startling realization that there was no reason whatsoever that I had to waste one more minute of my life watching that absolute garbage. Even though I'd seen some stinkers before, none had ever been so bad that walking out had even occurred to me.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #75
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
45 minutes into Highlander II I came to the startling realization that there was no reason whatsoever that I had to waste one more minute of my life watching that absolute garbage. Even though I'd seen some stinkers before, none had ever been so bad that walking out had even occurred to me.
In my world that movie does not exist.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #76
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post

You chose wisely.

"Highlander II" remains the worst movie I have ever seen in a theater.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #77
rockboy70
Mascot

Never walked out on a movie, but the worst I've seen in a theater is Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.
rockboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #78
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockboy70 View Post
Never walked out on a movie, but the worst I've seen in a theater is Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

Holy crap

+1
Old 07-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #79
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The one character I couldn't stand was the Colonel or Major (can't remember his rank) that is in just about any WWII movie these days and is always a military adviser to the movie he's in.

I haven't seen the movie but knew right where to look.

I'm going to guess that you're referring to Dale Dye.
Dale Dye
Dale Dye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've never been much on his acting but enjoyed his early writing like Run Between the Raindrops, which is what the second half of Full Metal Jacket should have been.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #80
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I have never really walked out of a movie....

I had a smoke break in the middle of Titanic (I never do that). I ended up spending 30 minutes outside playing with my palm pilot.

I fell asleep during The Dark Knight, but that was mainly because I had not slept in 30 hours. It was a mistake going to see it. My dad was in town and that is what he wanted to do. The ironic thing is that The Dark Knight is now one of my favorite movies.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #81
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockboy70 View Post

I feel obliged to say at this point that I watched the Street Fighter: Chun Li movie IN A THEATER and it was still better than Happy Feet and The Golden Compass.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #82
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I haven't seen the movie but knew right where to look.

I'm going to guess that you're referring to Dale Dye.
Dale Dye
Dale Dye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've never been much on his acting but enjoyed his early writing like Run Between the Raindrops, which is what the second half of Full Metal Jacket should have been.

Yup, that's the man. Waaay too stiff of an actor and he only has one tone and volume to his voice. Now R. Lee Ermey, he can act.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #83
Anthony
Banned

Dude where's my car.

we walked out of that and snuck into a different movie, i wasn't about to waste $10 for nothing.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #84
molson
General Manager

I'm amused by some of the movies you people are willing to pay for and then are all shocked they're not good.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #85
remper
Mascot

Only once. I walked out of "Beverly Hills Ninja", one of Farley's last movies. I think we decided to after the fifth joke consisting of Farley walking and hitting his head on an object. That was about 30 minutes in if I recall.

At least with dramas or action movies that are bad you can make fun of them and be entertained. With a bad comedy its just painful to sit through. "Year One" I made it through, but that was bordering on painful too.

I got dragged to the 3rd LOTR movie. That goddamn thing just wouldn't end. I would have walked out early from that one too, but I was with some friends who were big fans of the series.
remper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #86
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I walked out of one movie one time, but I can't for the life of me recall what it was. But it wasn't because of the movie, it was because I went to take my mind off some personal drama, and then couldn't get my mind off of it and just got really irritated and didn't want to be trapped there thinking about it.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #87
Kevin
High School JV

I don't go out to the movies much, but have wanted to leave several, but only left for a walk around while the missus watched them. Fell asleep in one of the Batman movies and was pissed the sound was so loud it kept waking me up. I typically only finish half of the rented movies the missus brings home. A book is a hundred times better. I have seen a car chase before, no need to see several hundred more. Ditto for gunfights. If I wanted to see gunfights, I'd buy a gaming console and twitch my thumbs at it for an hour before falling asleep. I am convinced there are only seven scripts left in Hollywood that are recycled with different actors, special effects and accents.

Not that I'm crotchedy and opinionated or anything.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #88
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
...Fell asleep in one of the Batman movies...only finish half of the rented movies the missus brings home...If I wanted to see gunfights, I'd buy a gaming console and twitch my thumbs at it for an hour before falling asleep.

Maybe you should just watch movies about sleeping? That seems to be what you enjoy most anyway.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-13-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #89
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I don't go out to the movies much, but have wanted to leave several, but only left for a walk around while the missus watched them. Fell asleep in one of the Batman movies and was pissed the sound was so loud it kept waking me up. I typically only finish half of the rented movies the missus brings home. A book is a hundred times better. I have seen a car chase before, no need to see several hundred more. Ditto for gunfights. If I wanted to see gunfights, I'd buy a gaming console and twitch my thumbs at it for an hour before falling asleep. I am convinced there are only seven scripts left in Hollywood that are recycled with different actors, special effects and accents.

Not that I'm crotchedy and opinionated or anything.

Sounds like you just don't like movies.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #90
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Or suffer from narcolepsy.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #91
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Maybe he just needs a movie with narcolepsy in it? Kevin, have you seen Deuce Bigelo?
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #92
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

Must be the geek in me - but I'd definitely give it a whirl if it shows up on cable
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #93
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Kevin,

I think what everybody is saying here is...

In regards to your sleeping, you're not normal...you're, you know...different. Have you ever considered Red Bull?
Old 07-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #94
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I think we need to back off of Kevin's sleeping situation. Perhaps it's just the cool, darkness of the movie theater that makes him sleepy. It's like some sort of trigger or something.

Same thing happens to me sometimes. Odds are that if I go into some big bookstore like a "Barnes 'n Noble" or a "Borders", I'm going to have to take a dump before I leave. It's odd, but for whatever reason that's how it goes.

These things happen. People are susceptible to certain triggers sometimes. It's no me, it's science talking.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #95
Izulde
Head Coach

I don't remember the name of it now, but there was a movie some years ago I went to see that I thought looked really interesting. And it wound up being so tedious, so slow, and so boring, I walked out for about 20 minutes and only went back in so Mom and Dad wouldn't worry that something happened to me.

They were stunned, because I'd never walked out on a movie before and I haven't since.

The only details of the movie I can recall are that there was this teenage kid and his parents were divorced. He went back and forth between them and everybody seemed to hate each other. I seem to remember a scene where he was eating with his mom in a restaurant that looked pretty empty.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #96
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I don't remember the name of it now, but there was a movie some years ago I went to see that I thought looked really interesting. And it wound up being so tedious, so slow, and so boring, I walked out for about 20 minutes and only went back in so Mom and Dad wouldn't worry that something happened to me.

They were stunned, because I'd never walked out on a movie before and I haven't since.

The only details of the movie I can recall are that there was this teenage kid and his parents were divorced. He went back and forth between them and everybody seemed to hate each other. I seem to remember a scene where he was eating with his mom in a restaurant that looked pretty empty.

Sounds kinda/sorta like Ordinary People.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #97
Celeval
Pro Starter

Never walked out on a movie, but the Avengers came close.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #98
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Back in high school I paid money and sat through all of Camp Nowhere staring Christopher Lloyd. If I can make it through that I can never walk out of a movie.

I should have known the movie was bad when the girl working the ticket booth looked at me and my friends and asked us if we were serious when we said we wanted to buy tickets for it.

I have however rented plenty of movies and stopped watching them The Thin Red Line being one.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #99
gkb
High School Varsity

Blair Witch 2
Weekend At Bernie's 2
Mr. Mom - which I actually ended up enjoying later on in life
Old 07-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #100
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Must be the geek in me - but I'd definitely give it a whirl if it shows up on cable

The Dungeonmaster has shown up on my cable twice in the last 6 months....and I watched it both times. And it was TERRIBLE, except for the part with W.A.S.P.

Also, the title 'Dungeonmaster' may imply that there is some medieval-themed action to be had in this flick, but there isn't.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote