Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
WheelsVT
High School JV

Fantasy Football Trade Opinions

I was the unlucky guy to draft Tom Brady in the first round of a snake draft, and will be picking up his backup off the waiver wire tomorrow. I also had Nate Burleson who is out for the season too! So I'm trying to rescue my team by picking up Eddie Royal (DEN WR) and Chris Johnson (TEN RB) off of waivers.

In the meantime, I've been going back and forth about a trade for LT, and could use some opinions on what's an acceptable trade.

Current proposal from Hillbullys:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
GoVT trades Reggie Bush, NO RB to Hillbullys
GoVT trades Nick Folk, Dal K to Hillbullys
GoVT trades Steve Smith*, Car WR to Hillbullys
HB trades LaDainian Tomlinson, SD RB to Hokies

10 team league.
Current Roster:

Tom Brady QB
Ryan Grant RB
Reggie Bush RB
Braylon Edwards WR
Torry Holt WR
Bernard Berrian WR
Antonio Gates TE
Nick Folk K
Seahawks Defense (sucked last week)

Bench:

Jason Campbell QB
Julius Jones RB
Jerious Norwood RB
Steve Smith WR (suspension)
Nate Bureleson WR (out for season)
Alge Crumpler TE
Titans Defense (doh)

WheelsVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I would make that trade in a heartbeat, but I'm not very high on Reggie Bush so take that for what it's worth.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
WheelsVT
High School JV

I'm not either. I saw how my brother's team had hopes for him last year and it didn't pan out.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
TLK
Pro Starter

Click accept.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

One thought: regardless of this trade, what do you plan to do about your QB situation? Jason Campbell + no backup? You should probably be trying to address that...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 09-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
WheelsVT
High School JV

I'm getting Cassel off the waiver wire.

I may be able to work a deal with the guy that owns LT to give me Favre as well. However, he wants Braylon Edwards for him. That would really kill my WR corp if he took Smith and Edwards now that my other starting WR Burleson is out for good.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Do you know for sure if you'll have Eddie Royal? I'd roll the dice on him before I rolled them on Jason Campbell/Matt Cassell.

But again I'm biased, since I'm a Broncos fan and officially fell in love with Royal by half time on Monday.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelsVT View Post
I may be able to work a deal with the guy that owns LT to give me Favre as well. However, he wants Braylon Edwards for him. That would really kill my WR corp if he took Smith and Edwards now that my other starting WR Burleson is out for good.

Um... Nooooooo....

I'd do the other one though. Essentially it is Steve Smith/Bush for LT
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #9
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Are you positive that you'll get Cassel and Royal off the wire? Those guys have to be very high on everybody's list of pickups this week.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Is this a PPR league?

If so, I'd nix the deal - I don't like your lack of depth at WR if you trade Smith. Eddie Royal had an amazing first week but he won't repeat those numbers very often the rest of the year - Brandon Marshall will get the majority of the looks and now that opposing coaches have tape on Royal, they will be able to properly gameplan for his speed and lack of size (ie: press coverage).

Be careful not to underestimate a healthy Reggie Bush, especially with the long-term injury to Colston. Bush will be used extensively as a receiver and will become even more valuable in PPR leagues.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i agree with noskillz

i also think it's not 100% guarenteed that Cassell will start every game at QB for the Pats. If he struggles you may see O'Connell get a nod or two.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #12
rowech
Pro Starter

Take the LT trade in a heartbeat.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Put me in the "I don't like your WR situation afterwards" camp.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #14
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

While it might be nice to get LT, your weakness is QB.

You have Julius Jones on your bench who is the starter on a team with ZERO WRs. They are going to need to rely on him.

If you are making a move, it should be a WR and/or RB for a replacement QB. But not as drastic as Edwards for Favre; you get killed in that deal.

But why can't Jones + Berrian get you a middle tier QB? You'll still have Smith returning from suspension, and if you get Royal on waivers, you not losing any depth.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
While it might be nice to get LT, your weakness is QB.

You have Julius Jones on your bench who is the starter on a team with ZERO WRs. They are going to need to rely on him.

If you are making a move, it should be a WR and/or RB for a replacement QB. But not as drastic as Edwards for Favre; you get killed in that deal.

But why can't Jones + Berrian get you a middle tier QB? You'll still have Smith returning from suspension, and if you get Royal on waivers, you not losing any depth.

Could not disagree more. You grab the best talent available, no matter what position it might play. Worst case, you trade LT for a heck of a better QB and a RB and now you're in a better position if that's the route you want to go.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #16
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Ya, you can always get average guys off the waiver wire. Stars make or break a fantasy team.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #17
WheelsVT
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Ya, you can always get average guys off the waiver wire. Stars make or break a fantasy team.

This is especially true in my league where almost everyone holds on to their players like gold and only 2-3 guys will be watching the waiver wire. I'm position 2 on the wire this week, and I'm pretty confident I'll get who I want.

Suburban+rowech - both good opinions. I appreciate it.

It sounds like everyone is saying be sure to get Royal off waivers, and then shop LT or a RB/WR around for a better QB/RB combo. I'm thinking I'd get a better QB/RB with LT on offer than with what I have now so I'm leaning toward taking the deal.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #18
MikeVic
Head Coach

Here's a trade I'd like opinions on. My first instinct is to reject it, since I don't really improve anywhere...

Send Reggie Wayne, Ind WR from WR to Weasels
Send Selvin Young, Den RB from Bench to Weasels
Receive Wes Welker, NE WR from Weasels to Bench
Receive LenDale White, Ten RB from Weasels to Bench
Receive Eli Manning, NYG QB from Weasels to Bench

I have Derek Anderson and Jake Delhomme as my QBs. Anderson is starting and Delhomme is on the bench. Other starting WR is Santonio Holmes, with Eddie Royal and DeSean Jackson on the bench. Other starting RB is Addai, with Chris Johnson on the bench (but he'll be starting this week for me).
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #19
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I don't see the point of that trade for you.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #20
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I don't see the point of that trade for you.

Agree

You get worse at WR. Arguably worse at RB, at best break even. And pick up a QB who you can lump in with the other two you have. Not sure Manning is clearly a better option than Delhomme, who's been good when healthy, and Anderson, who still has a lot of weapons.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #21
MikeVic
Head Coach

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #22
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Trade offered to me.

I get Jamal Lewis and Joey Galloway
He gets Chris Johnson and Jerricho Cotchery

He must take me for a fool...
Old 09-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #23
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm glad you put that last line. I would not make that trade.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #24
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I'm glad you put that last line. I would not make that trade.

I definitely wasn't planning on it. He has wanted Cotchery from me since draft day and I have been putting my foot down. With the way both Johnson and Cotchery played last week, it would take a lot more than that to get them away.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #25
WheelsVT
High School JV

Update on my situation (Brady and Burleson out):

I waited to see who I could get from the waiver wire.
Picked up Cassel, but Hillbullies canceled the LT trade and then managed picked up Royal WR during the wire's first round.
If only I had re-ordered my waiver priority I'd have Royal and he'd still be wanting my WRs.

Oh well. Here's hoping that Cassel plays well... perhaps I'll offer a similar trade back to him.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #26
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Here are my running backs: Stephen Jackson, Clinton Portis, Brandon Jacobs, Selvin Young, and Rudi Johnson.

Julius Jones just got dropped. Do I drop Johnson and pick him up for depth or hold out for Rudi to start?

Rest of the team: Hasselbeck, Favre at QB
Fitzgerald, Burress, Bowe, Galloway, Reggie Brown at WR
Whitten at TE
Eagles at D
Rackers at K

We start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 D, 1 K

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by PurdueBrad : 09-12-2008 at 01:51 PM.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #27
MikeVic
Head Coach

I didn't think Rudi had a shot at starting?
Old 09-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #28
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I didn't think Rudi had a shot at starting?

That would be news to me but it would be important news. If anyone knows, I would love verification. Going internet hunting now...
Old 09-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #29
MikeVic
Head Coach

Maybe my news is outdated, but I was sure Kevin Smith would be the starter this season... and I thought I read this morning on a fantasy analysis of Smith that he looked good in the first week.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:03 PM   #30
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Thx Mike Vic, I'm looking at picking up either Jones, Fargas, DeAngelo Williams, or Derrick Ward to replace Johnson then. Any thoughts?
Old 09-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #31
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Yeah as far as I have heard, Smith is starting and they are hoping to give Johnson more carries, but Smith is the starter for sure.

I would probably go with Fargas. Sure he is splitting carries with D-Mac, but he was decent last week and should be a decent pickup.

Last edited by PackerFanatic : 09-12-2008 at 02:43 PM.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #32
WheelsVT
High School JV

I have [Julius] Jones on my team. Here's the ESPN spin on him:

Spin: With Nate Burleson out for the year, just the latest in a string of injuries to Seahawks' skill guys, Jones is pretty much the last man standing fantasy-wise after Matt Hasselbeck. Short term, Jones should be pretty busy, with T.J. Duckett and Justin Forsett likely to factor in to a lesser degree

Of course the other side is that if he's the last man standing that makes it easy for the other team to stack the deck against him.

Last edited by WheelsVT : 09-12-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #33
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I have [Julius] Jones on my team. Here's the ESPN spin on him:

Spin: With Nate Burleson out for the year, just the latest in a string of injuries to Seahawks' skill guys, Jones is pretty much the last man standing fantasy-wise after Matt Hasselbeck. Short term, Jones should be pretty busy, with T.J. Duckett and Justin Forsett likely to factor in to a lesser degree

Of course the other side is that if he's the last man standing that makes it easy for the other team to stack the deck against him.

I think Justin Forsett might be with the Colts now.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #34
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
I think Justin Forsett might be with the Colts now.

Forsett is with the Colts, but just replace his name with Leonard Weaver really. If another RB goes down then Schmitt will likely see more time at FB with Weaver splitting duties.

The upside to pretty much all the Seattle backs this year is that they can all catch the ball well, so assuming any of the WR can make a catch or two to make the D back off at least a bit, the backs will see their fair share of action in the passing game too.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:47 PM   #35
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Picked up Cassel, but Hillbullies canceled the LT trade and then managed picked up Royal WR during the wire's first round.

That sucks.

I'm shocked that there was ANY disagreement here on that LT trade, that was a no-brainer. I'd go back to him and sweeten the offer.

WRs, after the top couple, are hit-and-miss, matchup by matchup, and a dime a dozen on the waiver wire.

Last edited by molson : 09-12-2008 at 05:51 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:21 AM   #36
WheelsVT
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That sucks.

I'm shocked that there was ANY disagreement here on that LT trade, that was a no-brainer. I'd go back to him and sweeten the offer.

WRs, after the top couple, are hit-and-miss, matchup by matchup, and a dime a dozen on the waiver wire.

I'm trying to do just that.. difficult to do though without selling the farm. I don't have exactly the deepest roster with Brady and Burleson gone.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #37
Jas_lov
College Starter

Just a heads up- If you have any Texans or Ravens in your starting lineup you might wanna bench them. Their game has been postponed and the NFL is treating this week as their bye week so I would assume it's the same for fantasy. I'm not completely sure on that though.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote