Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-26-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Survivor David Vs Goliath

So anything more awkward than Probst providing play by play inches away from a guy potentially seriously injured?

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I see so they've decided to create a snuff film right out of the gate this year.

Probst: *huff puff* I'm sorry I'm late, wait! Don't get injured without me! *huff puff* I was enjoying a fine bottle of Chateau de let 1959 and having my daily filet mignon when I heard of some trifle happening that I have to act concerned about! Don't move him without my announcement! *huff puff* Okay then what's all this then? Allow me to go as slow as possible so that I might further add to the dramatic tension. Cue the dramatic music! NO don't move him yet! I haven't finished presenting all the tropes! Okay tribe now gather round and say goodbye gooooooooood! It's all part of my plan! *teepees fingers*
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #3
Racer
College Benchwarmer

I was very skeptical of the theme but I liked the the premiere at least. The editors are definitely wanting you to root for the Davids but I think they'd want to set it up that way whether a David won or not.

Also, bit off topic but apparently Canadians can now apply to Survivor. Jeff Probst said they're actively looking for Canadians for Survivor.

It's just a guess, but it seems like Survivor: Americans vs. Canadians could be a decent bet to be the theme of Season 39 or Season 40.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:58 PM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

Not that it matters too much, but I worked with Mike White's sister and have been to his beach house in Hanalei, Kauai. Never met him, however.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
General Mike
Pro Starter

Guess I'm rooting for Johnny Nitro/ Morrison/ Mundo/ Impact/ Hennigan by default.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:00 AM   #6
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Burnett is finally learning how NOT to be obvious and to deliver a great burn
Old 10-11-2018, 11:28 PM   #7
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

lol

That tribe is going to ego themselves to death
Old 10-12-2018, 08:31 PM   #8
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Hope this tribe swap doesn't ruin my family's dream of a tribal showdown between Natalie and Natalia that just devolves into Jeff slowly being driven insane by every Survivor contestant's complete inability to spell.

Entire vote would just be variations of "Natale" and "Natilly" and then like five people just writing "Nat" with a frowny face.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:29 PM   #9
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Got to say, Natalie ended up being a pretty solid "love to hate" Survivor villain.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:04 PM   #10
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

yeah finally someone to rival russel H as most disgusting person the game has ever seen
Old 10-25-2018, 11:04 PM   #11
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Hope this tribe swap doesn't ruin my family's dream of a tribal showdown between Natalie and Natalia that just devolves into Jeff slowly being driven insane by every Survivor contestant's complete inability to spell.

Entire vote would just be variations of "Natale" and "Natilly" and then like five people just writing "Nat" with a frowny face.

this was solid commentary

i laughed for at least 4 minutes
Old 10-26-2018, 04:31 PM   #12
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Got to say, Natalie ended up being a pretty solid "love to hate" Survivor villain.

Not sure why she even signed up for the show. She obviously had no strategy to win.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:52 AM   #13
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

And that's called "nothing to lose"

brilliant guys
brilliant

Mike really seems to never have watched this game. In what world does he even have a chance against the rest of the Goliath team? He's not on top. Nor in the middle of that group
Old 11-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #14
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I'm really rooting for Alec. He's doing the multialliance thing without being totally obnoxious about it. Nick too is solid.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #15
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The brilliance of the move last night was that the Davids split their votes in case an idol was played on their target. No matter what, a Goliath was going home. If they had put all their votes on Angelina, it would've ended in a 0-0 tie and gone to a revote, in which case a David would've gone home.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 11-15-2018 at 12:31 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:30 PM   #16
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

yup. And really what was so brilliant about it was that they ALL communicated. That's not a thing that always happens and probably the most frustrating thing about the show.

They also gave great performances at tribal
Old 11-15-2018, 03:32 PM   #17
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I was not sure however what would happen if they all voted Angelina.

There would have been zero votes. The last time that happened the only person that could go home was sent home. In this case maybe they would draw rocks to see who went home next? Or maybe just revote yeah. Not sure.

But Dan was talking about sending Angelina home if something ended up not working. So who knows...

SOOOO happy he blew his idol
I can't wait til Angelina goes home
Old 11-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #18
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I was not sure however what would happen if they all voted Angelina.

There would have been zero votes. The last time that happened the only person that could go home was sent home. In this case maybe they would draw rocks to see who went home next? Or maybe just revote yeah. Not sure.

It's happened twice. The last time (when Cirie went home), they didn't revote because they didn't need to. She was the only person eligible to voted for.

The other time it happened was when Jeremy and Wentworth both played idols. 0 votes for anyone. In that case, they revoted. So that's what would've happened here.

Quote:
But Dan was talking about sending Angelina home if something ended up not working. So who knows...

SOOOO happy he blew his idol
I can't wait til Angelina goes home

Interestingly, they put more votes on John than Angelina, so the idol play didn't matter in determining who went home. So it was probably actually a good idea to play it, because if he didn't it, Angelina is still in the game and pissed at him for not protecting her.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #19
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I actually expected them to go for Mike! But getting out a big guy was VERY cool

Christian vs John is the ultimate David vs Goliath showdown

It's actually times like this that you wonder if it's all made up
Old 11-21-2018, 10:24 PM   #20
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Spoiler only if you haven't seen the Thanksgiving Eve episode

Spoiler

Last edited by Racer : 11-21-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #21
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The last two episodes really have been pretty good.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:14 AM   #22
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

that was a great one two punch

i was wondering whose vote they were gonna steal.

Nick's delivery was totally on point at her as a complete signal to tell her what to do

Angelina is ridiculous tho. I think she'd go for the...okay I'm my OWN alliance now and I'm gonna win!

There COULD be a female alliance that starts really. But I don't think it could ever hold together as much as Kara and Allison overthink things.

They REALLY need to get MIke out really.

Well maybe not. He won't ever make a move nor win a challenge. I think he's the one you take to the end to win.
Gabby being the other one.

I don't think the Gabby/Carl thing will amount to anything.

The Davids will vote together.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #23
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Gabby being the other one.
Gabby is 100% shaping up to be the player who sneaks into the final three and is really proud of themselves for it, then gets savaged by the jury and zero votes and is devastated by it.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #24
larrymcg421
Head Coach

That was a great episode. I think Gabby proved that she's not in it just to get to the end. This was a great move for her, because she protected an ally (Allison), while getting rid of someone who was leaving her out of the loop. I'm not sure it was good for Christian, who burned bridges with a couple allies who know he has an idol. This has been a terrific season so far.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:57 AM   #25
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I don't know why people act like Carl did but they continue to do so.

Be an asshole, get voted out.

I mean Boston Rob and Russell set the precedent for why it's important to immediately vote out bullying assholes.

THe best part of the ep was Angelina's face. hahahahahaha Angelina's face.

she was beet red
Old 12-06-2018, 01:57 AM   #26
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

well the opposite theory of survivor commercials holds up

so happy gabby went home

the stupid coming out of her mouth was too much to bear
Old 12-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #27
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Stupid? That's the last thing I'd call Gabby.

Her plan in this episode didn't work, but it was the right idea.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #28
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Stupid? That's the last thing I'd call Gabby.

Her plan in this episode didn't work, but it was the right idea.

She took pretty much the opposite approach as Laurel from last season. Like Laurel, she was aligned with the biggest threat(s) in the game and didn't necessarily have ideal relationships outside of that besides Donathan for Laurel and Alison and possibly Kara for Gabby.

Unlike Laurel, she took a chance and tried to turn on her ally but got burned.

I think she may have had more success had she tried making the move at 7. I think she really needed to keep Alison to stay in the game though in order to turn on Christian so she was left with at least one close ally who would want to keep her around and I'm not sure there was a road to keep both in at 8.

Ultimately, I think she would likely have had a hard time being respected enough by the jury to actually win had she made it the final three based on how vulnerable she came across at times regardless of who she might have faced (like Dawn in Survivor Caramoan).
Old 12-06-2018, 08:19 PM   #29
Mota
College Benchwarmer

It was a terrible move. By cutting out her only ally, she was totally exposing herself for the rest of the game and had no chance.

Just look at what happened, they didn't care about her, and had no problem eliminating her as the contingency plan. Christian would never have done that to her. If you're moving forward with a group that you can trust, that's fine, but you can't win Survivor on your own.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #30
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
It was a terrible move. By cutting out her only ally, she was totally exposing herself for the rest of the game and had no chance.

Just look at what happened, they didn't care about her, and had no problem eliminating her as the contingency plan. Christian would never have done that to her. If you're moving forward with a group that you can trust, that's fine, but you can't win Survivor on your own.

Of course Christian never would've done that to her. He wanted to bring her to the end just like Wendell wanted to bring Laurel last season. And Christian wouldn't be able to protect her anyways. He's not in any kind of power position. They didn't even listen to his preferred boot last week.

She wasn't trying to win Survivor on her own. She was trying to build an alliance with Kara, Alison, and Mike. You're arguing she should've stuck to an alliance of two. That's all it was with Christian, because Nick and Davie weren't taking Gabby anywhere. I think her move was the right idea, even if it didn't work out for her.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:15 PM   #31
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
I think she may have had more success had she tried making the move at 7. I think she really needed to keep Alison to stay in the game though in order to turn on Christian so she was left with at least one close ally who would want to keep her around and I'm not sure there was a road to keep both in at 8.

The problem with waiting to make the move is if Christian doesn't play his idol at F8, then each tribal it becomes more and more likely that he'll play it and it increases the chances that he can get to the F4 and she'll miss her shot. Also, if she goes along with the Alison boot, then she loses one of her potential allies to take Christian out later.

Quote:
Ultimately, I think she would likely have had a hard time being respected enough by the jury to actually win had she made it the final three based on how vulnerable she came across at times regardless of who she might have faced (like Dawn in Survivor Caramoan).

I agree that the emotional stuff would be held against her at tribal, but I don't think she was nearly as bad as Dawn. Gabby never acted like Dawn did when she didn't get chosen for the family reward. Either way, this just strengthens the case for going after Christian, because she needs something on her resume other than crying.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #32
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
She wasn't trying to win Survivor on her own. She was trying to build an alliance with Kara, Alison, and Mike. You're arguing she should've stuck to an alliance of two. That's all it was with Christian, because Nick and Davie weren't taking Gabby anywhere. I think her move was the right idea, even if it didn't work out for her.

That alliance worked really well though, they actually voted HER out. It is extremely difficult to build new loyalties at that stage of the game. But if Gabby didn't put the time in with these people to build that loyalty leading up to this, then she got exactly what she deserved.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:14 PM   #33
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The problem with waiting to make the move is if Christian doesn't play his idol at F8, then each tribal it becomes more and more likely that he'll play it and it increases the chances that he can get to the F4 and she'll miss her shot. Also, if she goes along with the Alison boot, then she loses one of her potential allies to take Christian out later.

I agree that the emotional stuff would be held against her at tribal, but I don't think she was nearly as bad as Dawn. Gabby never acted like Dawn did when she didn't get chosen for the family reward. Either way, this just strengthens the case for going after Christian, because she needs something on her resume other than crying.

I was listening to Tyson Apostol today on RHAP and he thought it was the right move for Gabby (and at the right point in the game) but badly executed. Specifically, he felt like Gabby should have asked what others wanted to do and once they said Christian to act like she liked that idea and then get them to spread the plan. By going about it the way she did, she put herself out in front and made her vulnerable to what ultimately happened.

I basically agreed with what he had to say though I still feel like the move would have been better for Gabby at 7. Even if Christian played his idol at 7 (likely) then there would have still been potentially a chance to get him out at 5 or 6.

I think there is happy medium between Laurel (making the safest moves possible to get to the end) and Gabby (being a bit reckless though it was mainly with just this vote).

I think Gabby overall was an above average game player strategically. The Jessica vote early on put her in a good spot on the Davids and I think the Carl vote was probably the right call although Angelina may have better move there. I don't think she was particularity great socially though I also don't think she was bad either.

I would agree she's not as sensitive as Dawn and she definitely owned her vulnerability much more then Dawn did.

I don't really get why she got as much heat from some people online as she did though. I'm guessing maybe some men have a problem with her personality type? I don't really think she did anything particularly likable or unlikable this season.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:30 PM   #34
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
That alliance worked really well though, they actually voted HER out. It is extremely difficult to build new loyalties at that stage of the game. But if Gabby didn't put the time in with these people to build that loyalty leading up to this, then she got exactly what she deserved.

The editors have to cram 3 days times the number of people in the game into 41 minutes of air time. I don't think there is really any way of knowing for sure how tight she was with others.

For example, Adam Klein said one of his closest allies in Millennials vs. Gen X was Jessica Lewis. They never showed that relationship onscreen (because it had no baring on the story arc) and he won the season.

Another example is that Domenick Abbate indicated after Ghost Island that he had a very strong relationship with Purple Chelsea pre-merge that fell apart when Desiree tried to get Kellyn out and included Chelsea's name in strategy talks without her knowledge. I think Chelsea also confirmed this was a strong alliance in her post game interviews. That actually may have impacted the season (Chelsea voted for Wendell in the end perhaps for bitter reasons) but for whatever reason this relationship wasn't shown.

Gabby's relationships with Alison and Christian were shown because they played a part in the season's story arc that the editors wanted to portray. In her post game interview with Rob, she indicated she thought she had good relationships with others but also indicated she probably overestimated them given what happened.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #35
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
I was listening to Tyson Apostol today on RHAP and he thought it was the right move for Gabby (and at the right point in the game) but badly executed. Specifically, he felt like Gabby should have asked what others wanted to do and once they said Christian to act like she liked that idea and then get them to spread the plan. By going about it the way she did, she put herself out in front and made her vulnerable to what ultimately happened.
But she didn't just want Christian out -- she wanted him out in a way that made it clear it was her move. Him going home without anyone realizing she was behind it would have hurt her more than it helped. She needed everyone to see that it was her knife in his back.

The way I see it, she was like a poker play late in a game with a stack that's getting short. She had to find a hand to go all-in. She found a good spot, played the hand just right, and the cards didn't flip her way. Right play, wrong result. It happens.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #36
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
But she didn't just want Christian out -- she wanted him out in a way that made it clear it was her move. Him going home without anyone realizing she was behind it would have hurt her more than it helped. She needed everyone to see that it was her knife in his back.

The way I see it, she was like a poker play late in a game with a stack that's getting short. She had to find a hand to go all-in. She found a good spot, played the hand just right, and the cards didn't flip her way. Right play, wrong result. It happens.

Yeah and nobody is ever going to tell Gabby they want to get rid of Christian. His name will never come up in a conversation with Gabby. I'm surprised Tyson said that.