Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Hi, I'm Grantdawg. I am a game-o-holic

Just picked up Stellaris. It is one of those games I always meant to get, but never did. As I bought it, the thought came to mine "will I actually play this, or will it be another game that I play a few hours and then never pick it up again?" I think I have a game buying addiction. I have a 147 games just on steam, and many/most of those I barely played. It is fascinating to look through that list and to see what it says about my gaming habits.

1) My first thought was the the game I have probably played the most was Crusader Kings 2. I go through a streak of spending some real time playing it almost every DLC, and then sometimes just randomly when in the mood. But I was very wrong. I have 616 hours in to CK2, which is a little less than Football Manager 2013 (669). Football Manager dwarfs all other games with about 2,000 hours spent on all the versions I have on steam combined. That number could quite possibly be more than double that spent on the versions before steam. What that tells me is if someone ever created an American Football game even close to the same league as FM, I would probably never play anything else.

2) I tend to buy new versions of games I enjoyed in the past, but rarely do I play them. Example: I loved EU 3. Played it for hours (didn't buy on steam, so no numbers available). Bought EU4, and own about 70% of the dlc's, and have played a whole 6 hours. Why? I haven't a clue. I think ck2 just is such a better game, that I can't get into it. The same holds true of Hearts of Iron. 507 hours in HOI3, and 14 hours in HOI4.

3) I have played more Kerbal (324 hours) than Skyrim (249). That just doesn't seem right. The reason I think is because the hours and hours I spent on modding Skyrim is not being shown. I actually I had thought the other day about playing Skyrim SSE again, but the thought of the hours it would take me to mod it so it would be fun kept me from fooling with it.

Anyway, rambling thoughts from a game-o-holic. I would love to hear your gaming confessions. This is safe place, so feel free to share.

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I have played 176 out of the 242 games I have on Steam. I wonder what that number would be if you add the games on Steam, GoG, Origin, and even the old cd library. I may even have a floppy disc or two lying around. What if you add the console games I've had over the years?
Old 12-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I have played 176 out of the 242 games I have on Steam. I wonder what that number would be if you add the games on Steam, GoG, Origin, and even the old cd library. I may even have a floppy disc or two lying around. What if you add the console games I've had over the years?

The numbers definitely get crazy.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I have 196 Steam games and only 28 are installed. Like you I have many games I only play for an hour and never play again.

I go on spurts, from console to computer. Right now I'm in a console spurt and haven't played any computer games in a month or so.

I'm just amazed at how many great games are out and keep coming out.

You ever play a game for hours on end, then move onto something else and when you come back to said game you forget the controls?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #5
PilotMan
Head Coach

I have 717 games on Steam.

At least another 70-90 when you add in all the indy sports sims, and from other sites like GOG, Origin, Gamersgate, Direct Drive, etc. It's enough, yet I have another 28 on my wish list. So.....I am a game-o-holic.

It goes back to my youth. I was a latch key, only child growing up. Gaming alone was my thing. The advent of PC gaming where the computer did most of the work for me, was a dream. Still is.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-08-2018 at 05:11 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #6
Atocep
Coordinator

I have 306 games on Steam with an average completion rate of 25%. Out of those 306 I've played 223 and currently have 12 installed.

My biggest gaming confession is I believe Skyrim is the most overrated game of all time.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #7
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #8
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

My biggest gaming confession is I believe Skyrim is the most overrated game of all time.

May your road lead you to cold sands.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #9
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Old 12-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #10
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

At least another 70-90 when you add in all the indy sports sims, and from other sites like GOG, Origin, Gamersgate, Direct Drive, etc. It's enough, yet I have another 28 on my wish list. So.....I am a game-o-holic.

It goes back to my youth. I was a latch key, only child growing up. Gaming alone was my thing. The advent of PC gaming where the computer did most of the work for me, was a dream. Still is.

Thank you. Was feeling bad about my 620.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #11
path12
Coordinator

My gaming days go from Avalon Hill board games of the 70's through Amiga, Commodore, Atari, PC, etc. I have no idea how many that would have added up to over the years.

However, it is enough to know that I can stand with GrantDawg as another game-o-holic.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #12
spleen1015
Coordinator

I only have 157.... I thought I was bad. A lot of them are game I bought in bundles where there was 1-2 games I wanted and buying the bundle at the time was cheaper than the game a regular price.

Others I bought when they went on sale but I never got around to playing.

OOTP 16 & 17 have a combined 1340 hours. That's back when I was creating a lot of uniforms and starting 'fictorical' leagues in the 1870s.

I bought Rimworld a few weeks ago in put in 190 hours in about a month. Holy sh!t.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #13
Mota
College Benchwarmer

My latest "big" game is ARK: Survival Evolved where I have 300 hours. Previous to that, it was probably Minecraft. The Football Manager games always get a lot of hours on my computer. Overall, I have about 500 games on Steam, and I would say 400 of them never got played. I have to control myself better as to what games I am prepared to play in the near future, and to only buy those.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:38 PM   #14
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I have something like 530. And that's before all the games I'm giving away in the other thread
Old 12-13-2018, 07:11 AM   #15
PilotMan
Head Coach

OH, and I'm sure everyone in here should know.

You can join the Humble Monthly for all of 2019 for $99 until the 15th. That's a crapton of value. Something like $2 per game for the year, if they keep the number of games about the same.

I know you game-o-holics can't resist that one.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-13-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #16
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Jeez, I only have 17 games on Steam. I feel like I just took a blow to my manhood.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #17
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

as you haven't claimed anything in the Xmas giveaway thread, I do not believe you
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #18
Bobble
College Prospect

309. OOTP, Fallout 4, Skyrim, and Dominions 5 dominate my play time.

I think I would play a lot more variety if I could better remember what was going on when I load up an old save. I need Steam to load the save and then connect directly to my brain and load in the lore, game mechanics, and what the hell I was trying to do at that time.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #19
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
309. OOTP, Fallout 4, Skyrim, and Dominions 5 dominate my play time.

I think I would play a lot more variety if I could better remember what was going on when I load up an old save. I need Steam to load the save and then connect directly to my brain and load in the lore, game mechanics, and what the hell I was trying to do at that time.

You and I both. Sometimes it is too daunting to me to start playing a game again after a long pause because I know I am going to spend hours just trying to relearn how to play. That keeps me from new games aw well, sometimes even after I buy them. I love playing complicated pc games (I hard ever play simple games), but then complicated games don't always love me.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #20
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
That keeps me from new games aw well, sometimes even after I buy them. I love playing complicated pc games (I hard ever play simple games), but then complicated games don't always love me.

This has happened to me a lot recently, that is I get excited watching gameplay videos of some new game, I pick it up, and I'm all jazzed to try it out, but 2 minutes through into first tutorial/cutscene, it slowly dawns on me that I've got possibly hours of more work to put in before I can even effectively begin playing, and I just hit alt-F4, close it down, and go back to something familiar. I used to have more patience for that kind of a stuff.

...and it's not just video games. I have a regular weekly D&D group with a few friends, and whenever our DM (who is superb) starts getting deep into lore or history, my fingers start itching and my eyes start rolling backwards, as a little voice in my head whispers "press X to skip dialog". I'd like to believe that with age comes more patience, but not so much in my case.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 12-15-2018 at 09:57 AM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #21
GrantDawg

As an example, I am trying to get into Stellaris. I've played many, many Paradox games, so I knew it was going to be deep and complicated. Oh, boy is it. I have spent more hours watching Youtube videos than actually playing the game. And even then, I am lost in the game. Too many mechanics that I am not grasping. 10 years ago, I don't think it would have been much of problem. I also think I don't learn stuff as well watching the videos as I did reading the guides and message boards. Now, everything is video, with the first ten minutes having the person talk about themselves before actually talking about the game.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 12-16-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:14 AM   #22
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
As an example, I am trying to get into Stellaris. I've played many, many Paradox games, so I knew it was going to be deep and complicated. Oh, boy is it. I have spent more hours watching Youtube videos than actually playing the game. And even then, I am lost in the game. Too many mechanics that I am not grasping. 10 years ago, I don't think it would have been much of problem. I also think I don't learn stuff as well watching the videos as I did reading the guides and message boards. Now, everything is video, with the first ten minutes having the person talk about themselves before actually talking about the game.

I've played Stellaris a lot. I dabbled with CK2 a year or two ago and felt lost. Having started with Stellaris when it first came out, I've seen the evolution. So I can imagine what you are going through.

With that said, I will tell you that there are stuff I read on the boards and say "what?". There are things said that I've not encountered or never really thought much of (i.e. many is minutiae that you don't need to know to play or enjoy the game).

My best suggestion to you is read up on the FAQ and early strategies and just get going. Write down some of the inevitable "how do I do this or what is this", keep going, and then after you've collected a bunch of questions, go research them. I don't know how many times I restarted the game (early-to- mid game is most interesting to me). Once you get the basics down, then start going more advanced by watching the youtube.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:08 PM   #23
PilotMan
Head Coach

I may have an addiction

I bought cool games to play and I can't remember what they were called, so I don't remember why I wanted to play them and I keep forgetting that I got them, so I don't play them.

Booooooooohoooooooooo!

Like Steam?

Old 12-29-2018, 11:08 PM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've went nuts with Xbox One enhanced games. Figured I would spend my gift cards on 4k games.

AC Odyssey
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Wolfenstein II
Forza Horizon 4
Hitman 2

These should hold me over for quite some time.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 12-29-2018 at 11:08 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote