Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #401
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I feel like Google+ is killing my interest in social networking in general. I'm getting less interested in Google+ because hardly anyone is on it, and less interested in facebook because it's not as cool as Google+.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #402
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I feel like Google+ is killing my interest in social networking in general. I'm getting less interested in Google+ because hardly anyone is on it, and less interested in facebook because it's not as cool as Google+.

For me, social networking is getting VERY boring. People use it only to tell me what kind of sandwich they are eating or to bitch about something, neither of which is interesting. Companies use it to spam stupid messages. I rarely see something interesting (or original) anymore. And I haven't even gone into my feelings on the POST THIS AS YOUR STATUS/DEADLY VIRUS messages. Social networking is like a central location for all your spam, which is kind of cool I guess. And by "kind of" I mean "not very".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #403
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post

For me, social networking is getting VERY boring. People use it only to tell me what kind of sandwich they are eating or to bitch about something, neither of which is interesting. Companies use it to spam stupid messages. I rarely see something interesting (or original) anymore. And I haven't even gone into my feelings on the POST THIS AS YOUR STATUS/DEADLY VIRUS messages. Social networking is like a central location for all your spam, which is kind of cool I guess. And by "kind of" I mean "not very".

I guess I don't look to social networking like facebook for "original" things. I just go there every so often to see what friends or family are up to and to post pictures of the kids so my aunts/cousins can see them.

I also probably just check facebook once every 4-6 days though (or possibly more often if I'm in transit somewhere and bored and look at it on my iphone because of lack of other things to do).

My guess is those that are getting bored with it, you all log in more frequently and want it to do more than what users like myself care about?

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #404
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Google+ is largely a sausage feat IMO. I'm not looking to pick up chicks, but I don't know any of my female friends who are on it. Facebook is probably close to a 50/50 or higher split.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #405
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I think I have started to look at G+/FB as social news feeds. It's basically taking a RSS feed reader and adding in the commentary aspect to it.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #406
JediKooter
Coordinator

FB is kind of like the town bulletin board, but, without the missing pets or potluck notices.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #407
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
FB is kind of like the town bulletin board, but, without the missing pets or potluck notices.

And 18 year old girls looking to "dance" their way through college.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #408
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
And 18 year old girls looking to "dance" their way through college.

Ah yes. Can't forget those.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 08-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #409
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post

Which is kinda why Google+ makes more sense... you can seperate bulletin boards.

I find Facebook to be somewhat invaluable because it tends to be a bulletin board for my church youth group small group (say that 10 times fast) or my local community friends (through a "list" of the local pub). But it'd be far easier to do so on Google+, if only people used it.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #410
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Which is kinda why Google+ makes more sense... you can seperate bulletin boards.

I find Facebook to be somewhat invaluable because it tends to be a bulletin board for my church youth group small group (say that 10 times fast) or my local community friends (through a "list" of the local pub). But it'd be far easier to do so on Google+, if only people used it.

Totally agree on that. It is nice to see that what Google is doing is forcing some change at FB already. Yup, more people need to get on it, but, I'm still under the impression that it's in its beta stage? Hopefully Google doesn't kill +.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #411
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
But it'd be far easier to do so on Google+, if only people used it.
Yup. If this blog post thingy is semi-accurate and there's a similar feature set for that sort of thing being rolled out on FB, I'll probably never check G+ again. Right now I'm basically on it the same way I was on GLB--"just in case I'm wrong and this thing takes off more than I think it will..."
Old 08-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #412
Logan
Head Coach

Not many of my friends use Google+. I signed up but never did anything with it...I just don't "get" it mostly because I don't care about sharing with this group or that group, because I don't share much as it is. But those friends who were using it, I haven't heard them say anything about it recently, and honestly I forgot it existed completely until I saw this bumped.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #413
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
But those friends who were using it, I haven't heard them say anything about it recently, and honestly I forgot it existed completely until I saw this bumped.

Pretty much this.

I learned last week that one of the few friends I have who has even bothered to set up a G+ suddenly began using it (I'd stopped checking it all after several weeks of crickets chirping), strictly as a blogging platform apparently (tbh I haven't looked at it yet).

It's just seems entirely below the radar of almost everyone I know with the exception of tech geeks (no slam intended) that it has zero top of mind for me. Combined with the fact that I have to change log-ins to even see mine (typically I'm logged in as my Google business identity rather than my personal) there's just not enough pay off for me to fool with it.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #414
Galaxy
Coordinator

I think Google+ will be, if it not already is, a failure.

Last edited by Galaxy : 08-26-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #415
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I think Google+ will be, if it not already is, a failure.

lol, fucking thing is still beta/invite only. I mean yeah, it could very well end up being a failure, but to draw conclusions now is idiotic. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it will initially compete more with Twitter.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #416
Ryan S
Quarterback

Until Google+ comes out of the invite only beta period and integrates itself with google apps it is impossible to tell how much of a success it will be. 25+ million users is pretty good for an invite only product, but until this thing goes public it is only going to get limited use by your average social network user.

I think it will take a year or so before we can draw any conclusions, and a lot will depend on what Facebook does over that spell as well.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #417
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Not many of my friends use Google+. I signed up but never did anything with it...I just don't "get" it mostly because I don't care about sharing with this group or that group, because I don't share much as it is. But those friends who were using it, I haven't heard them say anything about it recently.

I'm right there with you Logan.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #418
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
lol, fucking thing is still beta/invite only. I mean yeah, it could very well end up being a failure, but to draw conclusions now is idiotic. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it will initially compete more with Twitter.

Serious question...it's invite only/beta but from what I understand, pretty much anyone who wants it, has it already. Once it's fully released/mainstream, what else could happen that may or may not have happened already? Am I crazy for thinking that if it has 25 million users in this stage, it may have just about the same in the "full" release?
Old 08-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #419
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Serious question...it's invite only/beta but from what I understand, pretty much anyone who wants it, has it already.

Not at all. There are many, many people who have never heard of google+, and when google uses it's front page to promote the service they can expect signups to rocket.

There are others who are interested in joining google+ right now, but have no idea how to get an invite.

I created my twitter account in '07, and it took almost two years before I found a use for the site.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #420
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
There are others who are interested in joining google+ right now, but have no idea how to get an invite.

Ask anybody who has G+ currently. I have 150 invites just sitting there.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #421
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah I'm sorry I'm not buying that. 95% of friends in my age group who are on facebook are already on G+ and nobody is using the damn thing. You think once their parents and grandparents can sign up easily they are going to suddenly rush over there and start using it?

Facebook was there first, every body is using Facebook and they have all the time in the world to make the changes to take the good features of G+ and integrate it into their system.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #422
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

There are many things about G+ that drive me nuts. The only people I know who use it regularly are those people who are "against FB" similar to how people are anti-Apple because "everybody has one." :eyeroll:

I've been using Google Reader for ages, I'm amazed that they haven't automated some way for me to share various articles to G+. Drives me nuts that they haven't, actually.

I just don't see the point to G+ with Facebook and Twitter out there.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #423
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Facebook was there first, every body is using Facebook and they have all the time in the world to make the changes to take the good features of G+ and integrate it into their system.

That does not mean anything. Facebook was far from the first big social network, they were just better than the alternatives. If google+ produces a better product it has a better chance than most thanks to the 1 billion unique visitors it's homepage gets every month.

I am not saying that google+ is going to kill facebook, I am just saying that it is far, far too early to draw any conclusions about the fate of g+.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #424
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
There are many things about G+ that drive me nuts. The only people I know who use it regularly are those people who are "against FB" similar to how people are anti-Apple because "everybody has one." :eyeroll:

I hate the lack of control that Facebook gives me over who can see my posts, and that when they introduce something new the default seems to be the least private option.

Hopefully the latest changes will go some way towards fixing most of my complaints.

Quote:
I just don't see the point to G+ with Facebook and Twitter out there.

If nothing else, strong competition will force Facebook and Twitter to up their games, and continuously upgrade their products to make sure they maintain their customer share.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #425
Groundhog
Coordinator

I believe I asked earlier in the thread although nothing ever reached my inbox, but can a brother please get an invite? angus AT goose juice dot com

Thank you sirs!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #426
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Sent
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #427
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Sent

Thank you ma'am!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:24 PM   #428
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post

Google is late to the party and Google+ really doesn't offer anything that greatly standouts from FB and other networking sites that will draw users away from others. 25 million users is nice, but if they just checked it out and went to back to FB, it's a failure.

Google is also pushing the line in regards to privacy and how it wants to open the walls to the rest of the internet and its products, compared to Facebook's closed wall approach.

I think the beta/invite only approach hurts them. It makes them seem pretentious and the fact that they're still doing it, when people checked in and checked out, makes it even more silly. Google+ isn't a revolutionary, exciting service. I don't see users maintaining on a regular basis two similar platforms.

Google is still really an one-trick pony in regards to it's revenue and profits. Android is big, but it's still peanuts and still lags way behind Apple in regards to profit margins in the smartphone market.

Last edited by Galaxy : 08-26-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #429
Galaxy
Coordinator

Wanted to add,

I think once users check out, they're unlikely to really go back to Google+ unless they hear something really big on it.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #430
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Google is still really an one-trick pony in regards to it's revenue and profits. Android is big, but it's still peanuts and still lags way behind Apple in regards to profit margins in the smartphone market.

That's kind of a silly statement. I'm sure Android is making HTC, Motorola, and Samsung tons and tons of money. It is, after all, the largest OS in the smartphone market.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #431
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
That's kind of a silly statement. I'm sure Android is making HTC, Motorola, and Samsung tons and tons of money. It is, after all, the largest OS in the smartphone market.

You said they're making HTC, Motorola, and Samsung tons and tons of money. However, Google isn't making tons and tons of money directly from the Android system. (I'm not saying that they aren't making money either). Apple makes a much bigger profit margin on each of its iPhone than any Android-operated device. That's part of why Google paid a big chunk of change for Motorola's Mobility department.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/06/...cant-be-wrong/
Old 08-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #432
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Apple also owns all the hardware for the iPhone. It's kind of apples to oranges comparison.

Google was kinda going for the Microsoft strategy - own the software and all that. And as your link states, Android users tend to search more (it being built in as it is) making the search revenue of Google grow even more.

And I think it was more Motorola's patent portfolio that drove Google's acquisition.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #433
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

And Facebook delivers what I suspect will be the knockout punch to "the masses" making the switch. The new "List" feature works similarly enough to Circles that what (at least for me) was the most significant selling point of G+ is now pretty much neutralized.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #435
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I think I'm in the minority among tech-savvy people, but if I only want to share something with a small group of people, I don't even see the point of sharing it.

HAY GUYS I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY BUT I ONLY WANT THREE PEOPLE TO SEE IT

Might as well just email whatever I have to say at that point.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #436
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Those things are just the tip of the iceberg for Google+ being a much better platform than Facebook.
... for people who really aren't interested in the social aspect of social media.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #437
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
And Facebook delivers what I suspect will be the knockout punch to "the masses" making the switch. The new "List" feature works similarly enough to Circles that what (at least for me) was the most significant selling point of G+ is now pretty much neutralized.

I just checked my G+ account for the first time in about 3 weeks. I see two new updates.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #438
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I just checked my G+ account for the first time in about 3 weeks. I see two new updates.

Got me beat, the only thing in my stream is the steady flow from Michael Manna (aka Stevie Richards) who I followed mostly as a test (since I knew a tech head like him would give it a spin).

Last update from a regular person was 8/14, nary a request or notification or anything of any other kind.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #439
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I use it more similarly to twitter than facebook. Along those lines there are numerous people I follow posting updates.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #440
MJ4H
Coordinator

Don't even have it in my bookmarks anymore. I use twitter.com for twitter features.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #441
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Twitter never attracted me for whatever reason. Have an account and follow a couple people, but never check it.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #442
Ryan S
Quarterback

Google+ now open to the public and being plugged on the front page of Google. It will be interesting to see how it goes over the next few months.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #443
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Just checked. Sept. 3rd was the last time somebody besides myself, the main Mashable poster, and my pastor posted something. Granted, my circles aren't that big, but I know people who signed up and never posted anything.

Last edited by Matthean : 09-20-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:03 AM   #444
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Apple also owns all the hardware for the iPhone. It's kind of apples to oranges comparison.

Google was kinda going for the Microsoft strategy - own the software and all that. And as your link states, Android users tend to search more (it being built in as it is) making the search revenue of Google grow even more.

And I think it was more Motorola's patent portfolio that drove Google's acquisition.

The patent portfolio is a big part of it, but I think they're watching Microsoft-Nokia. That was my point, the Android is driving the search cash cow, where Apple milks it's money from owning the hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Sort of. There is now the option to have a dynamic sidebar that has your most frequently interacted with friends in it (the number depends on how many can fit vertically without scrolling). Anytime there isn't room for the sidebar in the window, it goes back to the normal little pull up thing it's always been with the tile list of online users over on the left side. It's actually kind of handy. You can always manually hide the sidebar with the gear icon in the bottom right.

Now it appears FB is trying to be Google+.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:59 AM   #445
Logan
Head Coach

I bet they're much more successful with it.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #446
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I bet they're much more successful with it.

I find FB's version annoying. I'm already looking to see how to disable it.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:46 AM   #447
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I find FB's version annoying. I'm already looking to see how to disable it.

Hiding Elements Helper for AdBlock Plus worked beautifully for me.

Now if only someone could come up with a plugin that would unfuck the news feed on the wall
Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #448
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Now if only someone could come up with a plugin that would unfuck the news feed on the wall

No shit...I think I am going to start using G+ a little bit more
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #449
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Hiding Elements Helper for AdBlock Plus worked beautifully for me.

This a separate add-on? I I'm trying to find how to do this, but not seeing it.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #450
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
This a separate add-on? I I'm trying to find how to do this, but not seeing it.

Yes, it's an add-on.

Adblock Plus :: Add-ons for Firefox
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote