Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: In a standard dishwasher, where do you put the bowls?
Top rack 20 62.50%
Bottom rack 11 34.38%
Trouts smoke bowls 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2018, 11:51 PM   #1
korme
Go Reds

Where do you put a bowl... in a dishwasher?

Once again I have to leave it to FOFC to prove that I am smarter than my dumbass roommate who insists on doing things the incorrect way.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:52 PM   #2
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

on TOP with the glasses? usually right in the center.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 12-07-2018 at 11:52 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:55 PM   #3
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Upon reflection, I think I've only lived in one place in my life that ever had a dishwasher (and that was for like 1 year), and as a result I am hilariously inept when trying to use one.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:17 AM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Bottom rack ... assuming we're talking about a bowl sturdy enough to handle that of course.

Otherwise, THEN it's what CrimsonFox said
Old 12-08-2018, 02:24 AM   #5
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It depends on the dishwasher. Not all of them have the same room/spacing. Having said that, on top but not with the glasses, which go on the bottom since the top of ours doesn't have room for them.

Alternative answer; the dishwasher is supposed to eat what's in the bowl and then wash it. If you're ingesting the bowl itself, you're doing it wrong.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:34 AM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Depends on the size of the bowl. Smaller kids ones in the top. Bigger ones in the bottom.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #7
Edward64
Head Coach

Smaller kid plastic bowls on top. Bigger ones on the bottom sides. On our washer, both sides are wider to accommodate bowls.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:50 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My wife and I have fought more about this very thing then anything else in our marriage. She has now hit acceptance mode with it.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #9
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Depends on the size of the bowl. Smaller kids ones in the top. Bigger ones in the bottom.

+1
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #10
cuervo72
Head Coach

Cereal bowls on the bottom if they are of the flared variety. The ones that aren't go on the top, unless there are a number of dirty Longaberger bowls, in which case I am carving a place out on the bottom for them.

Cat/small bowls on the top, in the center column. Actually, these go on the top too.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:26 AM   #11
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

+1
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #12
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Plates/casserole dishes and the like on the bottom, bowls on the top. Mixing bowls and other bigger bowls on the bottom. Only time I've ever put a cereal bowl on the bottom is when the top is out of room (mugs and top rack-only storage containers).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-08-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #13
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Cereal bowls on the bottom if they are of the flared variety. The ones that aren't go on the top, unless there are a number of dirty Longaberger bowls, in which case I am carving a place out on the bottom for them.

Cat/small bowls on the top, in the center column. Actually, these go on the top too.

This is correct.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #14
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Wherever my wife puts them
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Smaller kid plastic bowls on top. Bigger ones on the bottom sides.

This goes back to my "if their sturdy enough to handle the bottom rack" caveat.

So that begs the question are you putting them on top due to size? Or due to (possible) lack of durability?
Old 12-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #16
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This goes back to my "if their sturdy enough to handle the bottom rack" caveat.

So that begs the question are you putting them on top due to size? Or due to (possible) lack of durability?

Durability isn't a consideration.

The dishwasher is built where plates and larger bowls go on the bottom (with forks and spoons in a squarish container) and glasses, smaller saucer plates and bowls go on the top.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #17
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Plates/casserole dishes and the like on the bottom, bowls on the top. Mixing bowls and other bigger bowls on the bottom. Only time I've ever put a cereal bowl on the bottom is when the top is out of room (mugs and top rack-only storage containers).

Same.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #18
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Yup.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:39 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Durability isn't a consideration.

The dishwasher is built where plates and larger bowls go on the bottom (with forks and spoons in a squarish container) and glasses, smaller saucer plates and bowls go on the top.

Fair enough.

Thing is, we go through a LOT more glasses than plates around here. So it's a battle for space often as not, meaning that I'll use the bottom when it's feasible.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #20
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Yeah, I prefer top, but if space is an issue I stick them wherever they'll get clean.

Curious to hear the origin story for this poll! (My roommate dishwasher argument is that I put everything in there and he prefers to hand wash dishes & thus it takes like 2 weeks to fill up the dishwasher enough it's worth running it.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:34 AM   #21
Logan
Head Coach

Our big fight when it comes to the dishwasher is that my wife insists on putting glasses ON the little pegs instead of around them, which creates a ton of wasted space because then nothing fits in between the edge and the glass. I'm always rearranging things and then can fit twice as much on the top rack.

One day I was watching my brother in law doing the exact same thing for his dishwasher. My wife's sister of course did it the same way. The next time I was at my mother in law's I made sure to check out the top rack...of course, I figured out where they all learned it from.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:57 AM   #22
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
One day I was watching my brother in law doing the exact same thing for his dishwasher. My wife's sister of course did it the same way. The next time I was at my mother in law's I made sure to check out the top rack...of course, I figured out where they all learned it from.

That sounds like a storyline from a Seinfeld episode.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-10-2018, 08:09 AM   #23
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Our big fight when it comes to the dishwasher is that my wife insists on putting glasses ON the little pegs instead of around them, which creates a ton of wasted space because then nothing fits in between the edge and the glass. I'm always rearranging things and then can fit twice as much on the top rack.

If you read the instructions (which my wife refuses to do with anything), they tell you NOT to put a glass on the peg. The pegs trap food on the glass. Obviously, you don't want things to rattle around in there but there are usually better ways to position things securely.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #24
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm always rearranging things and then can fit twice as much on the top rack.

This is like my house, my wife just tosses things in willy-nilly with no accounting for space efficiency whatsoever. I don't bother saying anything but I'm constantly moving the stuff around. Sometimes I'll go to unload a completed washer that I didn't have opportunity to rearrange and half the dishes are still dirty because things aren't spaced right or cups are right-side-up and full of dirty dish water.

My mom is like a dishwasher Nazi, where everything has a particular place and there is no point even attempting to put something in because she'll move it anyways. I don't want to get like that, so I try to find a middle ground.

One thing I did learn from my wife that I think is better than my Mom's way is to put utensils in with the handles up. My mom puts them in handles down because there is less tendency for food to get trapped in the buckets or stuck in the utensils that way. Which is true, but then you're also pulling out all the clean utensils with your hands by the parts that people are going to be putting in their mouth. I'd rather have to re-wash the odd fork that comes out with a bit of food still on it.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #25
Ksyrup

Utensils down here, too. Mainly because I'm sure I would end up stabbing myself with forks and knives quite often.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-10-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We are staying with my in laws while we wait to buy a house in NJ. My father in law is a crazy person when it comes to the dishwasher. No matter what time it is done he has to empty it. Most people would throw a glass in the sink and donotnin the morning. Not him. Can not leave it and go to bed. He wakes up really early and runs it. Multiple times a week I’ll be in the kitchen in the morning trying to make lunches or kids breakfasts and he doesn’t give a fuck and comes right in the middle of the exact area I’m working to empty the dishwasher. He can not let it sit. We need our own house.