Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2015, 06:44 AM   #101
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, North Florida aren't Kentucky, but they actually looked pretty good offensively vs. LSU's defense just plain sucking. It's just that those missed threes turned into LSU fastbreaks, which is about the only thing the team does at a high-level at this point of the season.

We can talk about Simmons being 1-12 from outside the key this year, but at the same time "Lamar Odom with more upside" is far from the worst thing your team could end up drafting.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #102
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
One quick look and it says Davidson went 1-1 against CoC that year. It's different for Steph Curry anyways because he was a guarantee top 10-20 pick after his sophomore year. He stayed another year because Davidson's starting PG graduated, so Curry stayed to develop and showcase his point guard skills to improve his draft stock.

As for Ben Simmons, he should be averaging at least 20PPG in college playing for a mediocre team through talent alone. Hopefully his scoring improves because right now all I see is Lamar Odom with more upside
1-2 - Lost the rubber match in the conference tournament that knocked them down to the NIT.

Sane Lamar Odom with more upside is a pretty freaking good player (just for reference Odom put up 17.6/9.4/3.8/0.8/1.5). And Simmons is averaging 19.9 ppg - Jabari Parker was at 19.1, Jahlil Okafor 17.3, Andrew Wiggins 17.1, Blake Griffin 18.8, Kyrie Irving 17.5, none of the Kentucky guys put up more than 16.6, Derrick Rose 14.9, and none put up close to 15 rpg/6 apg, not to mention the steals/blocks. The guys like KD/Michael Beasley/Carmelo who come in and put up 22+ ppg as a freshman are exceedingly rare.

If you want to question whether he can be a "franchise player" worthy of a #1 pick vs merely a very good NBA player due to shooting questions go ahead (and there will be a lot of talk about that from March-June), but trying to nitpick his college production is insane. He's putting up a stat line for the ages (20/15/6/2.4/1.6) - only KD (26/11/1/1.9/1.9) comes close among recent freshmen. The rebounding number alone is absurd - nobody's averaged more than 12.5rpg for any D1 team in any of the last 4 seasons. The last 3 to put up more than 14rpg in a season are Kenneth Faried (as a SR), Blake Griffin (as a SO), and then all the way back to Tim Duncan's SR year in 1997. If he does end with his current 14.9rpg or more he'll be the first since 1979. I'm racking my brain to try and think of any player who would've averaged 10+rpg and 5+apg and I'm coming up blank.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #103
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'm racking my brain to try and think of any player who would've averaged 10+rpg and 5+apg and I'm coming up blank.

Larry Bird - 14.9 rpg/5.5 apg in his senior year.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #104
wustin
College Prospect

Calipari and Coach's K squad has always been loaded, it's going to be hard to average over 20PPG in a system full of 4, 5-star recruit studs who are all capable. LSU's team is not particularly good, the only other good player is that 6'6 swingman who is a fringe first-rounder.

I'm not saying he's overrated but he's being touted as the next big thing so it's fair to critique his scoring ability in regards to Carmelo or Durant (and those guys had some pretty amazing teammates). Pretty sure the Sixers aren't tanking year by year to just settle for the a slightly better Lamar Odom.

Literally everything about him is amazing besides his scoring ability. That is my only issue. The North Florida game currently is an anomaly to me in terms of Simmon's offense. Both sides played 0 defense, North Florida had two guys drop 30+ points. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

Last edited by wustin : 12-03-2015 at 03:41 PM.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #105
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kyle Anderson averaged 14.5/9/6.5 his SO year at ucla
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #106
nol
Banned

Quote:
1-2 - Lost the rubber match in the conference tournament that knocked them down to the NIT.

Sane Lamar Odom with more upside is a pretty freaking good player (just for reference Odom put up 17.6/9.4/3.8/0.8/1.5). And Simmons is averaging 19.9 ppg - Jabari Parker was at 19.1, Jahlil Okafor 17.3, Andrew Wiggins 17.1, Blake Griffin 18.8, Kyrie Irving 17.5, none of the Kentucky guys put up more than 16.6, Derrick Rose 14.9, and none put up close to 15 rpg/6 apg, not to mention the steals/blocks. The guys like KD/Michael Beasley/Carmelo who come in and put up 22+ ppg as a freshman are exceedingly rare.

If you want to question whether he can be a "franchise player" worthy of a #1 pick vs merely a very good NBA player due to shooting questions go ahead (and there will be a lot of talk about that from March-June).

The thing is, people have stopped discussing that, set him in stone as the #1 pick, and moved on to discussing how Ben Simmons compares to LeBron and Magic, which is insane. I can think a great deal of recent one-and-done players who would have put up similarly gaudy numbers playing 36 mpg as the one good player on a mediocre team, especially against so many sub-300 RPI schools. Of all the names you listed, Beasley is the only one who was in a remotely similar situation, and again, Simmons is about a year older than those guys were on average.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the level of production, it's more that he plays on a team where those types of performances are needed to pick up non-blowout wins against the likes of North Florida and McNeese State and the coaching is bad enough that I don't have faith he'll be in the best position to succeed against decent opponents who have scouted him (foreshadowing alert: NC State is the only team playing any amount of zone defense in any Ben Simmons highlights I've seen). His rebounding will 100 percent go down; the schedule can't get any easier than it has at this point and LSU gets a few frontcourt players at midseason; none of that makes him any worse of a rebounder than he currently is, but the people saying he's an all-time great because of unique statlines will be disappointed.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #107
Groundhog
Coordinator

Obviously it's ridiculous to compare a guy to two of the best players of all time after a handful of college games, but hey, that's what happens.

Stats aside, he passes the eye-test for me. Yeah he boards, but his passing ability is what makes him the most exciting prospect for my money. Opening night he would've had about 7 assists in the first 4 mins if his team mates knocked down open looks. He looks better suited to the NBA up-and-down style of play than guys like Beasley.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #108
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
The thing is, people have stopped discussing that, set him in stone as the #1 pick, and moved on to discussing how Ben Simmons compares to LeBron and Magic, which is insane. I can think a great deal of recent one-and-done players who would have put up similarly gaudy numbers playing 36 mpg as the one good player on a mediocre team, especially against so many sub-300 RPI schools. Of all the names you listed, Beasley is the only one who was in a remotely similar situation, and again, Simmons is about a year older than those guys were on average.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the level of production, it's more that he plays on a team where those types of performances are needed to pick up non-blowout wins against the likes of North Florida and McNeese State and the coaching is bad enough that I don't have faith he'll be in the best position to succeed against decent opponents who have scouted him (foreshadowing alert: NC State is the only team playing any amount of zone defense in any Ben Simmons highlights I've seen). His rebounding will 100 percent go down; the schedule can't get any easier than it has at this point and LSU gets a few frontcourt players at midseason; none of that makes him any worse of a rebounder than he currently is, but the people saying he's an all-time great because of unique statlines will be disappointed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
Calipari and Coach's K squad has always been loaded, it's going to be hard to average over 20PPG in a system full of 4, 5-star recruit studs who are all capable. LSU's team is not particularly good, the only other good player is that 6'6 swingman who is a fringe first-rounder.

I'm not saying he's overrated but he's being touted as the next big thing so it's fair to critique his scoring ability in regards to Carmelo or Durant (and those guys had some pretty amazing teammates). Pretty sure the Sixers aren't tanking year by year to just settle for the a slightly better Lamar Odom.

Literally everything about him is amazing besides his scoring ability. That is my only issue. The North Florida game currently is an anomaly to me in terms of Simmon's offense. Both sides played 0 defense, North Florida had two guys drop 30+ points. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.
A hyped freshman is having an amazing start, enjoy it a little. If (/when) people are anointing him a future HoF'er bring up the downsides - I know I have in a couple other conversations with casual fans. But when Groundhog points out he put up 43/14/7/5/3 I don't need to immediately hear about his potential future downsides. When Steph Curry goes off for 28 points in a quarter you don't have 2 people talking about how the teammates he play with help him, or questioning his defense (although I'm sure they're out there on Twitter etc).

I will push back against the idea that he "needs" to average 20ppg (especially seeing as he's averaging 19.9, his coaches and teammates are pushing him to shoot more, and he just had 43.) The majority of really good current NBA players averaged less than 20ppg as a freshman, and none put up his other stats (even if they regress a little).

While they sound terrible, the idea that North Florida is basically an NAIA or D2 school so we shouldn't even give Simmons credit is wrong. KenPom has them as #109 in the country - there are worse teams in every big conference.

And I'm not sure where the idea that LSU has no other talent came from. Nobody is as talented as UK, but Blakeney was a 5* McD AA, and Quarterman/Sampson/Patterson/Robinson all had hype, as well as Victor when he becomes eligible. That's why I was questioning Johnny Jones in my prior post - I really haven't paid attention to him beyond the two games UMass played them, but he does not seem to be a good gameday coach from my limited impression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Larry Bird - 14.9 rpg/5.5 apg in his senior year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Kyle Anderson averaged 14.5/9/6.5 his SO year at ucla

Perfect two examples! Let's all agree that Ben Simmons eventual NBA destiny is somewhere between Kyle Anderson and Larry Bird
Old 12-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #109
nol
Banned

Quote:
A hyped freshman is having an amazing start, enjoy it a little. If (/when) people are anointing him a future HoF'er bring up the downsides - I know I have in a couple other conversations with casual fans.

Next LeBron James? Ben Simmons looks ready to grow into the role

I'm enjoying it the right amount by already knowing Ben Simmons is excellent in transition and can drive to the hoop all day if you try to match up on him with a marginal 6'7-6'8 power forward while knowing he has quite a ways to develop in a more structured environment. Therefore, I don't have to be disappointed when he has an off night against teams that make sure to get back on defense muck up the game a little more.

Quote:
And I'm not sure where the idea that LSU has no other talent came from. Nobody is as talented as UK, but Blakeney was a 5* McD AA, and Quarterman/Sampson/Patterson/Robinson all had hype, as well as Victor when he becomes eligible. That's why I was questioning Johnny Jones in my prior post - I really haven't paid attention to him beyond the two games UMass played them, but he does not seem to be a good gameday coach from my limited impression.

Because, despite having the best college basketball player in the country, it's more likely than not they've played against 0 NCAA tournament teams (maybe one of the cupcakes gets an autobid 16 seed or something) so far and are 4-3 without even looking particularly dominant in any wins over the bottom-feeders.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #110
MrBug708
Head Coach

Apparently Alford has some coaching ability
Old 12-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #111
digamma
Torchbearer

Loved the effort from Harvard at Kansas today. Got down early, but clawed back and tied it up with about 5 minutes left. Kansas ended up turning it up a notch and won by 7. This is going to be a battle tested team when Ivy play starts. I think Yale and Princeton are still the favorites for the league, but it will be a fun 14 game tournament.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #112
Butter
Coordinator

Dayton with a big win at #21 Vanderbilt last night, 72-67.

Vandy was playing without their 7'1" stretch PF Luke Kornet, who tore his MCL in practice on Monday. Still, UD was down 38-22 late in the first half before tightening up the defense and getting steals on 4 straight possessions to cut it to 8 at halftime, 40-32.

UD continued the pressure into the 2nd half, and Vandy really wilted. Dayton was just tougher, and killed Vandy on offensive rebounds throughout the game. By the time we got to the final minute, Dayton was up 66-62, then this happened:

Kendall Pollard doesn't mind the pressure, makes a huge contested three at the buzzer - ESPN Video

A guy who doesn't shoot threes nailed one with the shot clock winding down, giving Dayton a 7 point lead with under 40 seconds to play, and they were able to hold on.

Huge resume win.

Last edited by Butter : 12-10-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #113
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That was a heck of a game today between Texas and North Carolina. Texas just seems to have the Tar Heels number. The final shot was the one of the closest reviews I'd ever seen for a good shot. It left his fingertips a couple of hundredths of a second before the backboard light came on.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:10 PM   #114
Groundhog
Coordinator

Not a good game for LSU today vs Houston. They seem to have no idea what to do against a zone, and it wouldn't have gone as far as OT if Hornsby wasn't on fire. Offense features a token pass or two around the perimeter and then a whole lot of quick and/or contested long 2s and 3s. On defense and the glass the other bigs not named Simmons are invisible. Darcy Malone is far from a stud, but at least he has some size and is an OK rebounder, a bit surprised he hasn't been hitting the court.

Simmons is playing passively, but doesn't get enough touches inside the arc. He had some nice passes out of the post, but they only posted him up a handful of times all game. IMO they should be playing him at the FT line against the 2-3 every single possession, looking to either go down the middle of the key or hit the other post player, rather than this tacky pick n roll stuff they do when he handles the ball, which is all but useless against a zone.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:49 PM   #115
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
That was a heck of a game today between Texas and North Carolina. Texas just seems to have the Tar Heels number. The final shot was the one of the closest reviews I'd ever seen for a good shot. It left his fingertips a couple of hundredths of a second before the backboard light came on.

Grumble grumble rebounding...

Shaka's impact on the defensive end showed through. Fouly, sure (UNC had a high FTR), but it cut down on transition opportunities and ball movement in the half-court (low assist %age).

I'm okay losing a true Tier A road game or two in the early going (KenPom definition, roughly top-75 team). Better than some schools 8 miles down the road that never play true road games out-of-conference.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:38 AM   #116
Butter
Coordinator

Dayton blew any goodwill they had from the win at Vanderbilt by coming home and losing to a decent Chattanooga team. Mocs are favored to win the SoCon and have wins over Georgia and Illinois already, but were without their leading scorer coming in.

Dayton uncharacteristically wilted down the stretch and lost by 2 on 2 free throws with under 6 seconds to play.

Won't be a bad loss at the end of the season, but really killed the momentum off the Vandy win.

It's early to talk RPI, but Dayton, North Carolina, and UCLA are the only 3 teams to have played 7 games against the RPI top-100, and UD and UNC both are 5-2. Dayton also has the most games against the top-50, and is 4-2 in those games. Will probably be a fringe top-25 team all year.

Last edited by Butter : 12-14-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #117
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Dayton blew any goodwill they had from the win at Vanderbilt by coming home and losing to a decent Chattanooga team. Mocs are favored to win the SoCon and have wins over Georgia and Illinois already, but were without their leading scorer coming in.

Dayton uncharacteristically wilted down the stretch and lost by 2 on 2 free throws with under 6 seconds to play.

Won't be a bad loss at the end of the season, but really killed the momentum off the Vandy win.

It's early to talk RPI, but Dayton, North Carolina, and UCLA are the only 3 teams to have played 7 games against the RPI top-100, and UD and UNC both are 5-2. Dayton also has the most games against the top-50, and is 4-2 in those games. Will probably be a fringe top-25 team all year.
Nice to see UD/GW/Davidson up high right now, and Richmond has some good wins, but doesn't look like the A10 will have the same depth of teams in the 50-75 range of years past. On the plus side, Fordham doesn't look like a complete anchor on the conference like years past.

In news about a great person everybody who doesn't know him hates, John Calipari will be back in town Wednesday night as UMass raises a banner for him next to Julius Erving, Lou Roe, Al Skinner and the two other UMass bball players no one here's ever heard of. Still not sure I like the idea of raising a banner for a non-player, but the court's already named after a 30-year head coach and great guy, and the arena's named after the state senate legend who brought a ton of state money to UMass and Western Mass. Hate the way he operates under the NCAA structure all you want, but it infuriates me when people call him sleazy or a scumball because he's a great guy who genuinely cares about people and is freer with his time and money than 99% of people. It's not like he only shows up in Amherst because the basketball team is honoring him and there's a PR benefit - the guy came back for a cafeteria worker's retirement party last summer.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:52 PM   #118
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wisconsin's Ryan retiring effective immediately

Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan is retiring effective immediately, he said after the team's win Tuesday. Greg Gard will take over as interim head coach.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:28 AM   #119
Butter
Coordinator

Pulling a Spurrier?
Old 12-16-2015, 09:14 AM   #120
britrock88
Pro Starter

Wisconsin Badgers coach Bo Ryan retiring effective immediately

There's a little nugget in this article about why Bo stayed on this long rather than retire this summer as he originally intended. Class.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:20 AM   #121
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ugh. Wish the Tigers were better at this point. I'd love to have a reason to participate in this thread.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #122
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Wisconsin Badgers coach Bo Ryan retiring effective immediately

There's a little nugget in this article about why Bo stayed on this long rather than retire this summer as he originally intended. Class.

I wondered why Bo didn't just retire after last season but the info regarding Gard's father cleared things up for me. Definitely can't say Bo wanted to give it one more go to get a championship because this wasn't going to be the team that delivered it.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:01 PM   #123
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm struggling to see how Skal Labissiere is a top 5 pick. I know Calipari is forcing him to play in the post where he isn't comfortable, but I don't see franchise player here. Shooting and rim protection has value, but he's passive and has no interest in playing close to the basket.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #124
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

GT's four year win streak over UGA comes to a crashing thud today.

There was a headline today, something to the effect that "Can fans finally trust the Jackets" (who were 7-2 coming in).

I believe that's been answered, as the farcical Brian Gregory era continues, now without the only single positive thing it could claim to hang its hat on.

My soon to graduate HS son was 4 yrs old the last time they had a winning conference record, was 9 the last time they were .500 in conference play, hadn't started high school the last time they sniffed the post-season.

Hanging on to Blewitt too long was a disaster, hiring Gregory has basically provided the kill shot.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #125
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I'm struggling to see how Skal Labissiere is a top 5 pick. I know Calipari is forcing him to play in the post where he isn't comfortable, but I don't see franchise player here. Shooting and rim protection has value, but he's passive and has no interest in playing close to the basket.

Yeah, he would've been a top-2 pick sight unseen, but he's looked like a poor man's Nerlens Noel so far.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #126
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Watched Providence destroy UMass tonight. They're not just all the Kris Dunn show - Ben Bentil doesn't seem to have any national press but he looks like a future NBA player too.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:11 PM   #127
digamma
Torchbearer

Huge win for Harvard this afternoon against BYU in Hawaii. It took overtime, but it may be the kind of win that can turn Harvard into a really good team for Ivy play. They have to turn around quickly and play Auburn tomorrow. That should be a wild one. Bruce Pearl teams get in your grill and we will likely turn it over 20 times, but we can play some defense too.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:30 PM   #128
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Kansas/SDSU game is getting interesting. SDSU on a big run after being down by 16 at one point. Now only a four point game.

Edit: Jinxed them. Now up by 15.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-22-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #129
digamma
Torchbearer

Harvard 69
Auburn 51

That was fun. Bring on the Sooners (or maybe the Rainbow Warriors).
Old 12-23-2015, 11:40 PM   #130
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Harvard 69
Auburn 51

That was fun. Bring on the Sooners (or maybe the Rainbow Warriors).
Be careful what you wish for... I think I'd pick Oklahoma to win the title right now.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:33 AM   #131
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Disappointed that Mizzou lost the Braggin' Rights game last night, but they showed a lot of character making that huge run to make it a nailbiter after being down by 20 early in the game.

I have to keep reminding myself that we're 337th in Division I in experience. There's some really good young players, but they're still learning.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #132
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Be careful what you wish for... I think I'd pick Oklahoma to win the title right now.

Oh, we're clearly playing with house money in Hawaii at this point.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:46 AM   #133
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas comes back from the Christmas break with a home game tonight against UConn. But they suffered a big (literally) loss when center Cameron Ridley broke his foot in practice over the weekend. He has been arguably the best Longhorn on the court this season.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 12-29-2015 at 11:47 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:43 PM   #134
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa knocks off #1 MSU tonight. We beat them 83-70. Huge win for the Hawks and a great start to the season.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:14 AM   #135
MrBug708
Head Coach

This UCLA-UW game is awful. The refs were the stars
Old 01-02-2016, 12:52 AM   #136
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This UCLA-UW game is awful. The refs were the stars
Bryce Alford is a sunfabitch. Huskies were damn lucky Andrews and Crisp were also clutch.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:00 AM   #137
MrBug708
Head Coach

There isn't a more polarizing player in the nation
Old 01-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #138
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa comes from 19 down in the 1st half at #14 Purdue, to win 70-63.
Great start for the Hawks. Beat MSU and Purdue in the 1st week of the season.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #139
miami_fan
Coordinator

Granted I am not a Jayhawk fan but I think I follow college basketball pretty closely. I am shocked that Wayne Selden Jr. is still in Lawrence.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:56 PM   #140
hoopsguy
General Manager

Hope that at least a couple of folks got a chance to watch #1/#2 showdown between Kansas and Oklahoma. 12 seconds left right now in 3rd OT, one point game.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:46 PM   #141
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That game was crazy.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:11 AM   #142
miami_fan
Coordinator

Yeah that was a fun game last night.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:21 AM   #143
Butter
Coordinator

Started watching it at like 10:45, switched over to watch end of Virginia-Va. Tech, then switched back to see the end of regulation.

Wished I had gone to bed, as my alarm goes off at 5:30 whether I've stayed up late or not. That thing didn't end until midnight.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #144
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
There isn't a more polarizing player in the nation
I'm sure as captain of the 17th-year Seniors Aaron Craft will show back up on Ohio State at some point.

Good luck tomorrow Butter. We're definitely a better team with Antwan Space playing again and I'd still love to get a W at Dayton, but I still think we're NIT at best, so I won't be mad if the good A10 team avoids a landmine loss to us.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:55 PM   #145
Groundhog
Coordinator

LSU topples Kentucky by 18 in easily their biggest win of the season. Led nearly all of the way and smashed Kentucky on the glass. Simmons sat a lot of the first half with 2 fouls, ended with 14-10.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:26 AM   #146
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm sure as captain of the 17th-year Seniors Aaron Craft will show back up on Ohio State at some point.

Good luck tomorrow Butter. We're definitely a better team with Antwan Space playing again and I'd still love to get a W at Dayton, but I still think we're NIT at best, so I won't be mad if the good A10 team avoids a landmine loss to us.

We've barely avoided losses at home recently to Miami (O) and Arkansas, and did lose to Chattanooga. So even though we just got ranked again, nothing would surprise me at this point. I mean, Miami is the third worst team on our entire schedule and we had to make a basket with under 5 seconds left down 1 to beat them. We'll see. I'll be there.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #147
Atocep
Coordinator

Watching Kentucky last night I'm not sure there's a lottery pick on that roster outside of Jamal Murray, who should probably be a late lottery pick.

This is the type of season that was inevitable with the way Kentucky does things, but the number crunch will be interesting if some the guys assumed to be 1 and done decide to return to school because their stock is so low.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #148
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
We've barely avoided losses at home recently to Miami (O) and Arkansas, and did lose to Chattanooga. So even though we just got ranked again, nothing would surprise me at this point. I mean, Miami is the third worst team on our entire schedule and we had to make a basket with under 5 seconds left down 1 to beat them. We'll see. I'll be there.
I mean, UMass also tends to rely way too heavily on guards who should not be shooting from the outside, shooting from the outside. (Davis, Hinds, Donte Clark a.k.a. 80% of our offense), so anything could happen. To an extent the opponent doesn't matter - they can go 13-23 from 3 vs Dayton, or 2-21 from 3 in an open gym vs an intramural team, so I stopped predicting anything. Just hoping Clark/Holloway keep developing for next year's team (or more realistically, the 2017-18 one) and Zach Coleman can stay mostly healthy. Maybe Malik Hines can even do something good one of these days...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Watching Kentucky last night I'm not sure there's a lottery pick on that roster outside of Jamal Murray, who should probably be a late lottery pick.

This is the type of season that was inevitable with the way Kentucky does things, but the number crunch will be interesting if some the guys assumed to be 1 and done decide to return to school because their stock is so low.
This has already happened. That Nerlens Noel version tanked into the NIT once he got hurt, and then two years ago a lot of kids did come back, which led to last year's 10-deep "platoon" system. This is college basketball recruiting... the numbers will "work themselves out", and Cal has shown he can get one and done lottery picks to buy in to limited playing time and team concepts.

As for specific players, totally agree Murray is the one I've liked by far the most so far. Not sure I see future NBA star, but good combo guard that'll be guaranteed lottery. Tyler Ulis has played really well, but has that ceiling of a 5'9 guard. If I was him I'd stay in college all 4 years, but I think he would be a 1st round pick if he left, so who knows. Isaiah Briscoe has actually played really well at times, except for that minor shooting issue, highlighted by a 35% free throw percentage!!!!!!!, which admittedly is a bit of a red flag for a future NBA guard... but he's actually the one I could see having a huge NCAA tournament, or just declaring when people don't think he should and being drafted higher than anyone who watched college basketball thinks. Skal's been the obvious disappointment, even as someone who didn't buy into the helium that was pushing him above Ben Simmons as #1. But he clearly has the skillset, so even if it takes him 3 years like Willie Cauley-Stein no doubt still he'll be a lottery pick eventually. And who knows, he really could turn it on and parlay 5 good games into a lotto slot - there's a lot of interesting guys, but it's really not that top heavy a draft. As the rare Kentucky SR Poythress is gone regardless. And then quite frankly who cares about Marcus Lee, or Derek Willis, or Mychal Mulder? If they pop and deserve the time the minutes will be there, but if they transfer, or they play 8 mpg and score 2ppg next year I don't think anyone outside their family or AAU handlers ever really expected them to be lottery picks.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:15 AM   #149
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, UMass basically decided not to play defense last night. Literally everyone on scholarship for Dayton scored, including some little-used freshmen. I'm sure that's not what they normally look like, and UD doesn't normally shoot 57%. Once it got to 28-14, it was going to be a long road back for UMass. Space seemed like he has some scoring potential, but also seemed to like to be a little too 1-on-1 to fit into a conventional offense.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #150
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Fuck!

Badgers needed that Signature Win against MD if they're going to be around .500 in conference.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck!

Killer by Trimble.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote