Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOF2004 Strategies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
Subby
lolzcat

Running Back Endurance Bug - Solutions?

Okay, the running back endurance bug (high endurance backs get less carries than low endurance backs, on average) is well-documented in numerous on-line leagues.

In my team's first game of the season (we are the piledrivers), my #1 running back (rated 64/80 by my scout) ran the ball 10 times. His backup (23/31) ran it 8 times. I had one QB run and one WR reverse.

This rb was the #3 pick in the draft, he is making a boatload of money and now I am wondering what I am going to do with such a highly-compensated guy that might see 20 touches in a game if he is lucky.

My question is, how are folks dealing with this? Any strategies? Does putting a poor rated rb in slot #2 make a difference? What about the playing time setting?

Make the assumption that you are running a balanced offense and not ramping up running to heavy levels.

Thanks...

Old 10-04-2006, 07:09 AM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

VPI offered some suggestions in a discussion at IHOF that using a *very-low* endurance backup RB adds a bit to the workload of your top guy. I seem to recall it bumped up the #1 RB carries by something like 2-3 per game.

That seems to be the strongest non-obvious sugestion I have seen, but I guess it's rather situation-dependant. If you have a decent quality backup RB who has decent endurance, this may not be a palatable option.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #3
Daimyo
College Starter

My strategy is to not invest boatloads of resources in high endurance backs.

(Eyer is 62/79 in End... hopedully that doesn't fill out)

Last edited by Daimyo : 10-04-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

my strategy is never invest in RB. 51/52 is fine by me as long as he has good HR, El, and breakaway
Old 10-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
my strategy is never invest in RB. 51/52 is fine by me as long as he has good HR, El, and breakaway
That's great in single player, but in a good multiplayer league almost everyone knows that hole recognition, elusiveness and breakway speed are all that really matter for RB and those guys can actually become pretty expensive in terms of draft investment required.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
That's great in single player, but in a good multiplayer league almost everyone knows that hole recognition, elusiveness and breakway speed are all that really matter for RB and those guys can actually become pretty expensive in terms of draft investment required.

There are also some GMs in MP that know that hole recognition, elusiveness and breakaway speed are indeed NOT the only skills that matter for RB, and these guys can get the great RBs that nobody else wants.

Meaning, we actually don't know anything for sure...
Old 10-05-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

One of the RB's with the best ratings in the ImperialFL has an endurance of 96. His owner complained a ton about him not getting carries, as his high in 4 previous seasons was 291, then last season he had 406 carries, and through three games this season had 84 (it's a balanced team, as the QB had 92 attempts in those three games). His backup is getting about 7 carries per game.

So I have to think that it is somehow gameplan related.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:27 AM   #8
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
One of the RB's with the best ratings in the ImperialFL has an endurance of 96. His owner complained a ton about him not getting carries, as his high in 4 previous seasons was 291, then last season he had 406 carries, and through three games this season had 84 (it's a balanced team, as the QB had 92 attempts in those three games). His backup is getting about 7 carries per game.

Jim said that running back endurance is messed up.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:40 AM   #9
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Jim said that running back endurance is messed up.
Yes I know, but I'm saying that I don't think a high endurance RB is doomed to the fate of not getting carries. There is most likely something you can do to increase those carries. Just pointing out that having a high endurance back is not a hopeless cause.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:40 AM   #10
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post

Did that guy say what he did to boost the carries?