Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #401
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
This statement is borderline insulting to anyone who takes poker seriously. Sorry is a child's board game. All this info is in front of you and you have a very basic set of decisions to make, all with having complete knowledge of your opponents pieces.
Not meaning to be insulting - but I think you underestimate 'Sorry' - it can be played strategically (like poker) and is largely under your control with an element of chance (again like poker) ... you can using maths and probability turn things slightly to your advantage (again like poker).

Quote:
What you fail to understand is over time if you are more skilled at all the things I just mentioned, none of which involves luck at all, it is impossible to lose. That is how the Phil Ivey's of the world make millions at it and were doing it long before sponsorships. They are just better than everyone else.
I agree that with physical tells involved Poker talent is more obvious - but online such things are largely removed from the equation taking out one of the larger elements.

Quote:
I will also speak from experience as someone who has been playing for 17 years, including paying a good chunk of college tuition, among other things from winnings. There are times when you sit at a table and withing 30 minutes you know you are they best player. It isn't a matter of feeling "lucky," you know you are more skilled and short of other players getting lucky you can't lose. Play at that table long enough and you can't lose, the math and skill eventually take over.
There is definitely 'some' skill to poker, don't get me wrong and playing against people who are inept at it or feeling impulsive a good player can normally beat them BUT its not 100% certain (whereas competing against a world class sprinter for instance you've no chance ever unless he's got a broken leg) - thats all I'm indicating is that I don't believe its got as large an element of skill as most other games which are considered 'skill based'.

For instance 'Backgammon' is a popular means of gambling in some countries* - its similar in basis to the game 'Sorry' which you called a 'kids game' and ridiculed .. yet people believe thats skill based and so bet huge amounts on it ...

Is it skill based, yes to some degree, there is strategy involved and better players will generally beat worse players - so similar to poker in that respect ... but again there is a large element of luck once you get above a certain level of talent in it.

I enjoy playing Poker myself, I'm not great at it - but sometimes I can recognise when players are poor and when they'll be milked by others; however I don't see this as that far different than playing Backgammon or Sorry against my sons - I can beat them nearly every time if I wanted to; just by analyzing the probabilities involved and playing towards them.

When I play poker I play probabilities and use aggression to intimidate opponents into giving in, when playing board games against my family they will sometimes gang up on me (especially at Risk) and in those cases I'll use exactly the same sort of approach - again do I view Risk as a game of skill, partially - however not in the same manner as say Chess or a mainstream sport.

(thats all I was trying to say)

*Give http://www.thegoodgamblingguide.co.u...backgammon.htm a read ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 12-15-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #402
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Not really sure what regulations have changed for the state of Ohio but I am now unable to use e-checks for a deposit on PokerStars. Looks like my online poker days are all but over

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #403
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Not really sure what regulations have changed for the state of Ohio but I am now unable to use e-checks for a deposit on PokerStars. Looks like my online poker days are all but over

There are some pre paid gift cards you can use. There is one from Netspend that works IIRC.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #404
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- I would check 2+2, if something did change you can likely find what did on there. In either the legislature forum or the internet poker forum.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #405
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Total sidenote, but I'll be helping Greg Raymer run a poker seminar here in KC next week. It's over at the Microsoft campus here in KC. He'll do a teaching segment and then have a full tournament with some prizes being awarded by Microsoft. Should be fun.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #406
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Thanks Lathum - I'll have to check that out...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #407
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Total sidenote, but I'll be helping Greg Raymer run a poker seminar here in KC next week. It's over at the Microsoft campus here in KC. He'll do a teaching segment and then have a full tournament with some prizes being awarded by Microsoft. Should be fun.

Very cool!

I have heard he is about as nice a guy as there is.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #408
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Very cool!

I have heard he is about as nice a guy as there is.

Definitely is. I haven't seen him turn down many appearances despite his busy schedule. Does a good job of scheduling family time as well. Great dad.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #409
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

That sounds like an awesome experience - fantastic
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #410
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Thought I'd toss up some pics. Greg and I before the event starts......

Greg chatting with the table about his fossil that he used for the event. Said it came from Morocco originally......

Signed his fossil and gave it to the lady who knocked him out.........

He gave me a pair of his signature glasses that he wore during the event. If you ever get a chance to meet him, do so. I've met and chatted with him on several occasions and he's as down-to-earth as you'll ever find in poker. Just a really nice guy.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #411
Radii
Head Coach

good stuff
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #412
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

The websites for Pokerstars, Full Tilt, and UB were seized by the FBI today. People going nuts over at 2+2.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...852516194.html

Last edited by HeavyReign : 04-15-2011 at 01:39 PM.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #413
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm at work so I can't acess 2+2 but I can only imagine. Thank god bodog is so shitty I can still play there.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #414
RainMaker
General Manager

Thank god we are finally going after serious criminals. With this and Barry Bonds taken care of, I can finally sleep well tonight.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #415
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Thank god we are finally going after serious criminals. With this and Barry Bonds taken care of, I can finally sleep well tonight.

Sure, because gambling has NEVER caused serious, major problems before.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #416
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

What people do in their own home, with their own money, is their business.

Especially when they can drive down the street and legally partake in the same activity.

Last edited by Lathum : 04-15-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #417
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

A glass half full kind of person can at least take some small solace in the fact that Absolute Poker is one of the ones hit.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #418
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I heard it caused the financial collapse. Glad we are finally putting these criminals behind bars for good.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #419
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I can't tell who's being serious, who's being sarcastic, and who's just being a dick.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #420
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I can't tell who's being serious, who's being sarcastic, and who's just being a dick.

I'm being serious. Absolute Poker had a massive cheating scandal a few years back where it was revealed that a couple people who work for the site including one very very high up (I forget if it was the CEO but it was damn close if not) had access to accounts that showed all hole cards and were taking large amounts of money with these accounts.

They suffered virtually no repercussions for it. Fuck them.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #421
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Online poker and gambling should be perfectly legal in the states, but these guys who got shut down (see Radii's post) are all dirtbags and I'm glad they are getting nailed.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #422
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yowza, this is not good.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #423
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm a big supporter of online poker but it sounds like (if the accusations in the article are true) the sites were doing some shady things to get around existing laws. There's no reason the FBI shouldn't have taken action.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #424
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'm being serious. Absolute Poker had a massive cheating scandal a few years back where it was revealed that a couple people who work for the site including one very very high up (I forget if it was the CEO but it was damn close if not) had access to accounts that showed all hole cards and were taking large amounts of money with these accounts.

They suffered virtually no repercussions for it. Fuck them.
I remember that happening. Out of the past few comments, yours was the only one that I could 100% put in the serious, sarcastic, or dick category. The others? Not so much.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #425
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Whoo......2+2 server is slowing to a CRAWL!
Old 04-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #426
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I'm a big supporter of online poker but it sounds like (if the accusations in the article are true) the sites were doing some shady things to get around existing laws.

Like existing and serving US customers?

Quote:
There's no reason the FBI shouldn't have taken action.

Well, the administration could certainly make a policy judgment to reduce the staff, time and budget devoted to enforcing the UIGEA.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #427
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Like existing and serving US customers?

Well, the administration could certainly make a policy judgment to reduce the staff, time and budget devoted to enforcing the UIGEA.

About to say something similar. People break laws all the time, even as simple as speeding, littering, etc. They don't always gets punished. Prosecutors need to make choices about how to most efficiently allocate our resources when it comes to enforcement.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #428
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Does this mean that everyone lost all their money, too?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #429
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Online poker has been one of the major other sources of income for me. Needless to say I'm applying for a bunch of jobs today. It will be interesting to see how difficult it is to get money out in the near future.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #430
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Does this mean that everyone lost all their money, too?

I doubt it.

Someone who has better access can correcrt me, but my understanding is just the website and domain was shut down, not the ability to use the software and play.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #431
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Software still works. I was able to log in and request a withdrawal. I've seen people mention that Pokerstars is preventing US players from joining tables but can't confirm. Full tilt will still let you play right now.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #432
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Funny, I can get to both the Full Tilt and PokerStars websites from the browser on my phone. So what's this about the websites being shut down?
Old 04-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #433
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

DNS servers take up to 48 hours to update. Absolutepoker is the only website showing the seizure notice for me right now.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #434
RainMaker
General Manager

Creepy how the U.S. can go and shutdown businesses in other countries without being convicted of a single crime.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #435
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

and full tilt's software is now down.
When I launch it gives the software update is required then fails to find the server...worked fine around lunch time
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #436
Comey
College Starter

That may be a smaller issue, CU. I am on Tilt now (I logged in when I saw your comment). I also sat down at a cash table and was able to get chips.

Last edited by Comey : 04-15-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #437
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just tried starting Full Tilt and the same happened for me as CU Tiger
Old 04-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #438
RainMaker
General Manager

Not sure if I've mentioned it, but one of the reasons it's personal for me is that my company does work for Full Tilt. Not enough to signifigantly hurt the company, but money is still money. Just wondering if they'll avoid everything in the U.S. going forward and if we'll be able to get paid for outstanding work.

Last edited by RainMaker : 04-15-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #439
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just wondering if they'll avoid everything in the U.S. going forward and if we'll be able to get paid for outstanding work.

Given their somewhat shaky status in the U.S. I certainly hope your company didn't let them get too much past 30 days outstanding.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #440
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Given their somewhat shaky status in the U.S. I certainly hope your company didn't let them get too much past 30 days outstanding.
No, I don't think so. I don't think our transactions would come under any scrutiny since everything we did for them was legal. It's not like we got paid by some shady 3rd party bank.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #441
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, I don't think so. I don't think our transactions would come under any scrutiny since everything we did for them was legal. It's not like we got paid by some shady 3rd party bank.

I figured it was up & up, I was just thinking about limiting the exposure to eventually unrecoverable billing.

In media, there's three categories of clients who always have to pay cash up front for advertising: bars, lawyers, and politicians. I'm thinking that online poker services might need to be a 4th for pretty much everyone
Old 04-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #442
Ragone
Pro Rookie

good thing i got my money out a few weeks back.. had to pay for the family trip to disneyland.. paid in full thanks to online poker.. whew.. sucks though.. i generally put 50 bucks into account in january and play sit and gos to get cash up for a vacation..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #443
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So has anyone tried sitting at a ring game or entering a sit and go?
Old 04-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #444
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah, it's just part of business I guess. You'll always have some clients who are not able to pay. I personally will never touch a lawyer and would turn any work down no matter how much they want to pay. A company I used to work for used to deal with them from time to time and it never ended well.

In fairness to them though, they are a solid company. People look at some of the old gambling sites and think shady offshore companies, but not them (and not most of the others). They are based in Ireland and have a professional setup. Always paid quick, been real professional, and a pleasure to work with. I've dealt with countless other companies, including well-known names that have been much more difficult.

Edit: As I was writing that response I got to see an ad for the local riverboat casino followed by one for the Illinois Lottery. Thought that was funny.

Last edited by RainMaker : 04-15-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #445
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, it's just part of business I guess. You'll always have some clients who are not able to pay. I personally will never touch a lawyer and would turn any work down no matter how much they want to pay. A company I used to work for used to deal with them from time to time and it never ended well.

And on the other end of things, a regional/national firm that we've worked with occasionally over the past few years are one of the easiest clients we've ever dealt with AND the most reliably prompt at paying their bills (because they're accustomed to paying in advance, anything else seems like a bonus to them).

Quote:
In fairness to them though, they are a solid company.

Yeah, my thought was more along the lines of having assets frozen or being unable to pay through circumstances beyond their control.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #446
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
So has anyone tried sitting at a ring game or entering a sit and go?

I'm playing .50/1 on Tilt right now. Tried to cash out and was denied. So, they're play chips to me now.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #447
Radii
Head Coach

I started up a withdrawl on full tilt around 6:30, not declined yet! I'm thinking back to the Neteller shutdown here, it was months and months, but everyone got their money eventually.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #448
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
I'm playing .50/1 on Tilt right now. Tried to cash out and was denied. So, they're play chips to me now.

Thx, still getting through the 2+2 thread but seems like a lot of people not able to sit in any cash games
Old 04-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #449
Ragone
Pro Rookie

you all do realize that this has probably started a run on all poker sites of people trying to get their money out.. akin to the banking runs of the great depression.. should be interesting to see how this pans out..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:08 AM   #450
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
you all do realize that this has probably started a run on all poker sites of people trying to get their money out.. akin to the banking runs of the great depression.. should be interesting to see how this pans out..

Not quite the same thing. When banks take deposits, they don't let the money sit around doing nothing, they loan it out. The bank has far less money on hand then it would need to pay every depositor.

At most times, though, that's not a problem, because only a fraction of depositors want to withdraw their deposits at any given time. But when everyone wants to withdraw, the bank's weakness is exposed: it has short-term liabilities (deposits) and long-term assets (loans). Depositors have the right to take back their money whenever they want; the bank can't demand people pay back their loans. Because the bank has only a fraction of the money it needs on hand, if people get worried about its condition, it can create a "run" on the bank, even though the bank itself is otherwise safe-everyone wants to get their cash before the bank runs out of what it has on hand. (Insurance deposit, of course, solves this problem because depositors don't need to worry if the bank fails. They get their money back no matter what).

So, to get back to the situation here, it shouldn't be an issue. PokerStars should have all the money on hand-it's not lending money out. Even if everyone withdrew at the same time, it wouldn't create a problem. The only impediment will be whatever the legal issues are, not the mere fact that everyone is trying to take their money out.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote