Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #51
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I'm no expert in the genre, but was coerced into reading Lord Foul's Bane by Stephen Donaldson back in the late 1980s, and absolutely loved it. It became a trilogy, then a second trilogy, and then apparently more after that all in the same setting. I've heard it mentioned among fans as a hidden gem in the genre, and without being able to contrast it with others mentioned here, I'd recommend it pretty heartily.

(Additional note: I read the first six and give them all a thumbs up. Apparently Scott brick has recorded an audio version of at least the first three, but for some reason it's not available on Audible... if it were, I think I'd take the plunge and do them all again)

I loved the first trilogy. My oldest son's name is Thomas as a result. I liked the second trilogy. This last trilogy is an abomination that I abandoned after the second book.

Donaldson is a really interesting writer. He's very intense. His characters seem to spend 90% of their time grimacing ('cept Giants, of course). I thought he balanced that intensity very well early in his career, but by the time we get to the third series, he seems to have doubled down on all of his bad writing habits and left himself with the bits that aren't as easily redeemable.

(I also liked his turn at SF in the Gap series...I was a pretty big fanboy of Donaldson's by the mid '90s, but I don't think I'd trust that version of myself enough to actually recommend those books to anybody.)

Also wanted to add that Donaldson seems to be a really polarizing writer. His style is distinctive (and, as I said, intense). He seems to be one of those guys you either love immensely or you hate his guts. I couldn't understand the latter until the third Covenant series came out...now I get it completely.

Last edited by Drake : 01-30-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:09 PM   #52
Edward64
Head Coach

For Rothfuss fans ...

‘Kingkiller Chronicle’ TV Show’s Premiere Episode Features Lin-Manuel Miranda Song, Showrunner Talks Ten-Episode First Season
Quote:
The Kingkiller Chronicle series will begin filming a ten episode first season late this year. What that means for an actual series release date isn’t clear, but there’s a distinct possibility we’ll be singing along with Rogers, Miranda and the Edema Ruh some time in 2020.

I want to re-read his first 2 books but will wait until the 3rd is announced before doing so. Too hard to fall into another GRRM trap of possibly never finishing the series.

For those that haven't read Rothfuss, he writes as well as GRRM and his world is as intricate but in completely different ways. Give it a shot if you are looking for something besides fighting-killing-action-monsters.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:49 PM   #53
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I had someone mention Rothfuss to me a couple years ago and I was reading them, enjoying them immensely, but the fellow who had recommended it to me neglected to say that it was an unfinished trilogy, and I was not happy when I went looking for that third book (and I spent far too long looking).
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-01-2019 at 11:50 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:07 PM   #54
sabotai
General Manager

I read the first book, The Name of the Wind, but I'm not going to bother with book 2 until book 3 is out. Right now Brandon Sanderson is the only writer that has my confidence in finishing a series he starts. Well, I mean, I'm sure Rothfuss will finish the trilogy, but Sanderson writes to a schedule, so I'm confident that the next book in the Stormlight Archive will be out in a reasonable amount of time.

For the rest of them, I can wait. Plenty of already finished series of novels to read.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #55
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

For those that haven't read Rothfuss, he writes as well as GRRM

*crosses Rothfuss off list of authors to read*

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:01 PM   #56
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
*crosses Rothfuss off list of authors to read*

Just try it, just try the first 200 pages ...
Old 05-02-2019, 08:54 PM   #57
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Got about halfway through the book and lost interest
Old 05-03-2019, 12:58 AM   #58
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I liked the two Kingkiller books, but while I was upset in the moment there wasn't a 3rd book I'm not actively checking for a 3rd book, unlike ASoIaF, Gentleman Bastards, and the Stormlight Archive (though that one actually gets written!)

To be honest, when I re-read the Rothfuss books for book club reasons I got the sense in the second book he was stretching out things, not that he was tying together a great plot.

(Sadly, I think the Locke Lamora series could've been the best if done as a trilogy instead of potentially 7, but obviously both parents getting cancer puts a damper on all things.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 05-03-2019 at 01:00 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:55 AM   #59
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

That's one thing I love about Brandon Sanderson. He's so prolific, you know you won't be left hanging. Really looking forward to the next Wax and Wayne
Old 05-03-2019, 08:10 AM   #60
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
(Sadly, I think the Locke Lamora series could've been the best if done as a trilogy instead of potentially 7, but obviously both parents getting cancer puts a damper on all things.)

Scott Lynch is a great writer. I kinda agree with a trilogy. I thought it was him that fell ill.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #61
Edward64
Head Coach

A little news on WoT series.

Amazon unveils first batch of casting for The Wheel of Time adaptation | Ars Technica
Quote:
Amazon has announced its first round of casting for The Wheel of Time, the long-awaited TV adaptation of the late Robert Jordan's bestselling 14-book series of epic fantasy novels. Within that genre, Jordan's series is as popular as George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire.The last book in the series was published after Jordan died and written from Jordan's notes by bestselling author Brandon Sanderson.

The TV series will center on Moiraine (played by Oscar-nominee Rosamund Pike), a member of a powerful, all-woman organization called the Aes Sedai. (In this world, magic exists, but only certain women can use it—i.e., the members of the Aes Sedai.) She identifies five young people, one of whom could be the reincarnation of a person who prophecies say will save or destroy humanity. Together, the youngsters embark on a journey across the world.

Josha Stradowski will play Rand al'Thor, aka The Dragon Reborn, He Who Comes With the Dawn, the Coramoor, Shadowkiller, and who knows how many other monikers. He's apparently the person featured in the prophecy. Marcus Rutherford has been cast as apprentice blacksmith and dream walker Perrin Aybara. Zoe Robins will play healer Nynaeve al'Meara, and Madeleine Madden will play the powerful channeler Egwene al'Vere. Finally, Barney Harris has been cast as series comic relief, Matrim Cauthon.
:
:
Production is slated to begin this fall.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:17 PM   #62
Groundhog
Coordinator

Going to take some serious CGI to help prevent the actors from aging 20+ real years trying to get through the first couple of books.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #63
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

The local library had the Lies of Loche Lomora, so I picked it up. I've read maybe 3 pages this morning...so I don't have much of a former opinion as of yet.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #64
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
The local library had the Lies of Loche Lomora, so I picked it up. I've read maybe 3 pages this morning...so I don't have much of a former opinion as of yet.

Well constructed piffle, endorsed. Pretty sure I heard about it here (this forum, not necessarily this thread) and am looking forward to the next (4th) installment, which is in review I understand.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:24 PM   #65
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I am mostly done Oathbringer, which is the 3rd (and most recent) of the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. I love how each book "features" one of the main characters. There's a spattering of backstory that gets thrown in every few chapters, and it fills in the gaps of the character's motivation and how they got there. I'd say this is my favorite series of the past 10 years for sure. I'll have to read the complete series before I can place it beyond that.

The Patrick Rothfuss series had a fantastic start. The Name of the Wind is one of the greatest fantasy books I"ve ever read. However, the 2nd book wasn't nearly as good. It just lost the sense of wonder that made the 1st book special. It was still good, but didn't really progress much beyond that.

I'm also listening to the Wheel of Time and SOIAF via audiobooks. I've never passed the 8th book in the Robert Jordan series, I'm currently on book 3 and I plan on getting to the end. With ASOIAF, I've read the books already and watched the show twice, so going through the audiobooks is kind of like coming home. I'm really enjoying it. The show helped me to understand some of the characters, and now that I'm re-experiencing it, I'm enjoying some of the character arcs a LOT more than I did the first time around. Too bad we'll most likely never get to see the true ending, and will probably have to settle with the TV show as our ending.
Mota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:51 AM   #66
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
The local library had the Lies of Locke Lamora, so I picked it up. I've read maybe 3 pages this morning...so I don't have much of a former opinion as of yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Well constructed piffle, endorsed. Pretty sure I heard about it here (this forum, not necessarily this thread) and am looking forward to the next (4th) installment, which is in review I understand.
How'd it turn out Deac? It's awkward now given the series delays, and I'm not even sure what genre I'd tab it in, but that's probably the first book I recommend to literally anyone until I understand their preferences. I don't think I've ever read another fiction book with a real plot that made me laugh out loud at dialogue multiple times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I am mostly done Oathbringer, which is the 3rd (and most recent) of the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. I love how each book "features" one of the main characters. There's a spattering of backstory that gets thrown in every few chapters, and it fills in the gaps of the character's motivation and how they got there. I'd say this is my favorite series of the past 10 years for sure. I'll have to read the complete series before I can place it beyond that.

The Patrick Rothfuss series had a fantastic start. The Name of the Wind is one of the greatest fantasy books I've ever read. However, the 2nd book wasn't nearly as good. It just lost the sense of wonder that made the 1st book special. It was still good, but didn't really progress much beyond that.

I'm also listening to the Wheel of Time and SOIAF via audiobooks. I've never passed the 8th book in the Robert Jordan series, I'm currently on book 3 and I plan on getting to the end. With ASOIAF, I've read the books already and watched the show twice, so going through the audiobooks is kind of like coming home. I'm really enjoying it. The show helped me to understand some of the characters, and now that I'm re-experiencing it, I'm enjoying some of the character arcs a LOT more than I did the first time around. Too bad we'll most likely never get to see the true ending, and will probably have to settle with the TV show as our ending.

I'll be honest - I could use less Shallan POV/Shadesmar & more Kaladin/Dalinar POV, but unlike every other author of an unfinished anthology I do believe he'll finish it & tie things up unless he dies unexpectedly.

I think I've said my thoughts on Rothfuss here before - book 1 was amazing, book 2 felt somewhat like he was biding his time, and the delay for book 3 makes me think (unlike Lynch with the Thorn of Emberlain) he never had a clue how to play it out, not that he isn't trying. It's the Meerenese Knot George Martin struggled with, except this is the actual ending, not some minor subplot.

I actually think it's more likely Martin writes the final book(s) now that Season 8 went so obviously poorly. He strikes me as a petty man who enjoyed the fame & attention but desperately wants credit, and he's now been given an opportunity to be adored again. Doesn't even need to change the broad plot strokes, just give the characters sensible motivation for their actions.

I'm still in the midst of Steven Erikson's 10 part (but finished!) Malazan Book of the Fallen. The first few were awesome, the world building is insanely deep, and my friend who read it fully through does say it pays off near the end, but man there's a lot to digest & it's a hump to basically start over with Book 4.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:56 AM   #67
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Some good ideas in this thread. I even discovered I had purchased 2 of the books on Kindle several years ago and had forgotten about them.

I'm starting to tackle the Witcher series written by Andrzej Sapkowski. I'm going with the 2 short story collections first as those serve to introduce the character/setting before the main series begins.

Last edited by tyketime : 08-23-2019 at 08:57 AM.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #68
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
How'd it turn out Deac? It's awkward now given the series delays, and I'm not even sure what genre I'd tab it in, but that's probably the first book I recommend to literally anyone until I understand their preferences. I don't think I've ever read another fiction book with a real plot that made me laugh out loud at dialogue multiple times.

I'll be honest - I could use less Shallan POV/Shadesmar & more Kaladin/Dalinar POV, but unlike every other author of an unfinished anthology I do believe he'll finish it & tie things up unless he dies unexpectedly.

I think I've said my thoughts on Rothfuss here before - book 1 was amazing, book 2 felt somewhat like he was biding his time, and the delay for book 3 makes me think (unlike Lynch with the Thorn of Emberlain) he never had a clue how to play it out, not that he isn't trying. It's the Meerenese Knot George Martin struggled with, except this is the actual ending, not some minor subplot.

I actually think it's more likely Martin writes the final book(s) now that Season 8 went so obviously poorly. He strikes me as a petty man who enjoyed the fame & attention but desperately wants credit, and he's now been given an opportunity to be adored again. Doesn't even need to change the broad plot strokes, just give the characters sensible motivation for their actions.

I'm still in the midst of Steven Erikson's 10 part (but finished!) Malazan Book of the Fallen. The first few were awesome, the world building is insanely deep, and my friend who read it fully through does say it pays off near the end, but man there's a lot to digest & it's a hump to basically start over with Book 4.

So far so good, Bishop. I've read a little more, but it is still pretty good.(Less than 100 pages)
Old 10-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #69
Edward64
Head Coach

For those aspiring writers like me (and Sanderson fans), check out his BYU lecture series

Brandon Sanderson - 318R - #1 (Course Overview) - YouTube
Old 03-13-2021, 09:45 AM   #70
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I am bumping this. I can't believe how many times I have read this thread yet never posted in it. I am listening to the WOT right now, and have just gotten to the first book written by Sanderson after Jordan's passing. I had only read the Jordan written books (actually multiple times), but for some reason I could never bring myself to read the last three, I will say Sanderson does a great job so far in the half book I read. He writes like Jordan, only a little cleaner and definitely at a better pace. I am super excited for the TV series.
Anyway, bumping this because I was reading through it to give myself some ideas for the next series to start. My guess, it is going to be a Sanderson series, since I haven't read any of his works till now. I wish we could pin this thread.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:01 AM   #71
bronconick
College Starter

I've burned through all 17 or 18 Dresden Files books since I posted on this list
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #72
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I am bumping this. I can't believe how many times I have read this thread yet never posted in it. I am listening to the WOT right now, and have just gotten to the first book written by Sanderson after Jordan's passing. I had only read the Jordan written books (actually multiple times), but for some reason I could never bring myself to read the last three, I will say Sanderson does a great job so far in the half book I read. He writes like Jordan, only a little cleaner and definitely at a better pace. I am super excited for the TV series.
Anyway, bumping this because I was reading through it to give myself some ideas for the next series to start. My guess, it is going to be a Sanderson series, since I haven't read any of his works till now. I wish we could pin this thread.
Mistborn trilogy would be a great start there. It's a little YA & you can tell he's improved as a writer since then, but unlike 90% of this thread it is actually finished!
Old 03-13-2021, 10:58 AM   #73
GrantDawg

Quote:
Mistborn trilogy would be a great start there. It's a little YA & you can tell he's improved as a writer since then, but unlike 90% of this thread it is actually finished!
That is my number one rule: a series must be finished before I start it. I am done waiting two decades for books to come out.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:23 AM   #74
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I'll totally give your list a better look, because I totally need to be better read in terms of fantasy, but I have to say part of me misunderstood and was instantly disappointed when this wasn't just 10 awesome Frank Frazetta paintings.

Is the guy in the painting Batman? Because he has the logo on his chest.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:04 PM   #75
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

Sanderson is awesome! I'd strongly recommend the Stormlight Archive series, book 4 just came out a few months ago. They are massive books, but a surprisingly easy read. I especially love how they start the series, you'll know what I mean after the prologue going into Chapter 1, and then trying to figure out WHAT HAPPENED.

I stalled on the WoT after book 8 on my first read, so I'm going through the audiobooks from the start, I'm almost done book 4. I figure if I listen to a book per year, I'll finally finish the series while I'm still alive, LOL.
Mota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:34 PM   #76
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

This 4th book in the Stormlight Archive hasn't grabbed me as much as the first three. I'm only a little more than halfway through, so I guess there's time, but this far it definitely feels like a weaker entry in the series. Still a good read, though.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:40 AM   #77
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Sanderson is awesome! I'd strongly recommend the Stormlight Archive series, book 4 just came out a few months ago. They are massive books, but a surprisingly easy read. I especially love how they start the series, you'll know what I mean after the prologue going into Chapter 1, and then trying to figure out WHAT HAPPENED.

I stalled on the WoT after book 8 on my first read, so I'm going through the audiobooks from the start, I'm almost done book 4. I figure if I listen to a book per year, I'll finally finish the series while I'm still alive, LOL.
I get the stall. Books 8 and 9 are slow, and book 10 is the worst. Enough happens that you sort of have to read it, but almost nothing happens expect wardrobe changes, long introductions to characters that are meaningless, and a lot stewing in "thoughts" that repeat themselves. It was THE book you could see Jordan not really wanting to finish the series. The good news is book 11 hits at almost break-neck speed (at least for Jordan), and then it looks like Sanderson hits a good solid pace when he takes over.

Listening makes it way easier to finish and continue to me. I was pretty fustrated after book 10 on the initial reading, and book 11 almost felt like he was rushing. I just couldn't bring myself to do a re-read for book 12. I bought all three of the final books in hardback the first day they came out, but never touched them. Listening is more passive, and makes it easier for me to do when the story was bogged down. Still, there were times a literally screamed when yet another chapter of nothing important happened.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #78
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
This 4th book in the Stormlight Archive hasn't grabbed me as much as the first three. I'm only a little more than halfway through, so I guess there's time, but this far it definitely feels like a weaker entry in the series. Still a good read, though.

My opinion as well. Each book seems to be a bit worse than the last. What I read Rhythm of War, I got bogged down in the middle too. Look me like a month to get through part 2 (or 3, forget which one). Still like like the series, still enjoying the story, but while Way of Kings was fantastic, each book after is like a quarter step below the last.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:59 PM   #79
duff88
College Prospect

I really liked Rhytm of War, might be my favourite in the series thus far.
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:29 PM   #80
Edward64
Head Coach

I read the first 2 Sanderson and then stopped. It's not him but me, and this started pre-covid.

I find myself not reading books as much anymore. That free time is spend cruising the internet, reading news & reddit, watching streaming channels (and a lot of that are educational/documentaries) and playing computer games.

I debate if that is bad. I know my old me would say it is bad, but the new me says I'm still broadening my imagination, still reading (just not sci-fi/fantasy), still learning etc. but just in different mediums.

I do know that if Rothfuss was to ever release the third book (which should conclude this trilogy), I would take the effort to read the 2 again +1. Can't honestly say I would do the same for GRRM.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:35 AM   #81
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
I've burned through all 17 or 18 Dresden Files books since I posted on this list

Just started Book 6 which is the last book in the first Dresden Files Collection in ebook. I'm definitely enjoying them, and look forward to the next Collection which will be books 7-12.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:02 AM   #82
Groundhog
Coordinator

I've tried a few Sanderson books, but there's just something about the way he writes his characters and their dialogue that doesn't work for me. The ideas and worldbuilding is impressive, though.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:11 AM   #83
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

On a related note, I've found two fantasy series that I would recommend if you're interested in tackling something lesser-known:

1. Christopher Mitchell's "The Magelands". I've read the first 4-book series and one of the Origin stories. Looking forward to the next 4 books.

2. Ben Galley's "Emaneska Series". I thought the first two books were excellent! Two more in this series, and he's started another series set in the same world.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:32 AM   #84
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

So I've decided to start reading again. I used to do a lot of it, not to mention listening to audiobooks while I sat in traffic, but with the pandemic it's been quite a while. I came here looking for a new series to get into (and their are so many great suggestions I'm not sure where to start), but also figured I'd add a series that I really enjoyed that I haven't seen mentioned:

Miles Cameron - The Traitor Son Cycle

Miles Cameron, who also writes under Christian Cameron and Gordon Kent, is an historian who under is other pen names writes historical fiction. As Miles Cameron, he creates a fantasy alternate Medieval world that has some very grounded concepts complete with armor, battle strategies and more, but he's also created a very interesting and unique magic element. I went into the first book, The Red Knight with some trepidation, but I was hooked pretty early, and immediately jumped into the second book to see where the bigger story was going.

My son has started reading it now, and he's enjoying it. If you are looking for a new author to try, check it out and see what you think.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:20 PM   #85
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Just started Book 6 which is the last book in the first Dresden Files Collection in ebook. I'm definitely enjoying them, and look forward to the next Collection which will be books 7-12.

Just finished the 2nd Dresden Files Collection and like the series even more. Next up will be the 3rd collection (Books 13-15).

Quick question - 99% of the books I've read I've purchased through the years. But this time I ended up borrowing the 2nd collection from my local library (digital edition). How does everyone feel about checking out a book from the library versus purchasing? I mean I am thoroughly enjoying them, and would like to "reward" the author. Though I'm certain at this point Jim Butcher isn't exactly hurting for money. I've been reading lots of books recently from lesser known authors and feel good about "helping" them. And most of them would not be available from the library. Two of them have now quit their days jobs and write full time.

What does the reading collective think?

Last edited by tyketime : 08-15-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:19 PM   #86
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Almost every author everywhere will tell you to support your local library.

Personally, I like collecting works that I love, so I typically purchase. But I don't think you are hiring anyone by using the local public library.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:49 PM   #87
Edward64
Head Coach

Started on "Children of Time" by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Pretty good read so far, hope the quality keeps up.