Old 10-02-2017, 08:18 PM   #6601
Suicane75
Coordinator

It looks like a fun movie.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:31 AM   #6602
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What Happened To Monday - A netflix movie. It was kitsch to be sure, but otherwise, a decent dystopian sci-fi piece of fluff with some okay acting at spots.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #6603
Groundhog
Coordinator

Beguiled - 5/10

Don't really understand the glowing reviews. It was OK, quite dark. Farrell was really good, I guess.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #6604
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Blade Runner 2049
7/10

Very slow start.. seemed a bit too long but it did finally come into its own the last quarter of the movie.

I want to watch the original now as it's been a long time.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #6605
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Battle of the Sexes 7/10

My wife made me go see this, and it is much better than I thought it would be. Steve Carell gets Bobby Riggs exactly right--at least the way I remember Riggs. Bobby Riggs is much like the wilder moments of Michael Scott that make this portrayal so good. Carell looks like Riggs and that helps immensely.

The movie gets the tone of the times exactly right. The clownish Riggs thinking he was a great gambler/hustler and that would see him victorious over any woman, is nicely depicted. Also everyone going home happy is pretty much where things left off. The world of women's tennis became King vs. Everette soon enough, and this farce became history.

I was surprised to see that Frank Gifford, Rune Arledge and other real people were characters in the movie because the actors didn't really resemble the men they portrayed and no one called them by name. Others listed as themselves in the credits because real clips were shown I did see, but actors are listed for several famous men and I can't remember them at all.

Hearing Howard Cosell's voice introducing the match puts it all in perspective.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:17 PM   #6606
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Blade Runner 2049-- (9/10)

I am going to qualify this by noting that this movie is right in my wheel house, as someone who loves good scifi and action. If I don't like something like this, the filmmakers have done something incredibly wrong.

That said, I thought this was extremely well done. The futuristic visuals are amazing, and the themes explored are well done. The acting is terrific throughout. Leto, as per usual, overacts, but his character is over the top anyway, so I didn't mind that so much.

I thought the love story between Gosling and de Armas was also well done.

If you like scifi with adult themes and action, I think you'll love it.

Downside, it's very long and very loud, and there are a lot of introspective moments where the action slows a lot (maybe too much).

I think there was fluff that could have been cut out to make it a tighter film, but since I was enjoying the experience, it wasn't something I minded. I am betting others would mind, though.

And Villaneuve kinda went the Nolan playing the soundtrack too loud route (although fortunately he didn't cover up any dialogue with it).

I'm not a Bladerunner fanboy, btw. I liked the first one but it's not something I really considered a classic.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 10-08-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:56 PM   #6607
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Blade Runner 2049 - 9/10: A gorgeous work of art. I love the original Blade Runner and this is the rare 30+ year sequel of a classic that almost matches the original. It was beautiful, with some amazingly captivating long shots (similar to the original a bit in that way). Fantastic plot and wonderful acting. Ryan Gosling really showed me something in this role (I haven't been super impressed with him beforehand) and this was the best work Ford has done in years. It will definitely leave you thinking like good science fiction always does.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:03 AM   #6608
Groundhog
Coordinator

Glad to heard Blade Runner is quite good. Wish I could see it at the cinema, but with our first child due this Wednesday the timing is a little off...
Old 10-09-2017, 12:22 AM   #6609
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That's just a biiit more important .

I will add though, if you (not simply GH, but for anyone) don't like slow movies, don't see BR2049. It's vary slow moving. I found it beautiful and thoughtful as it lingered over scenes while others may find it dull.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:03 AM   #6610
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Blade Runner 2049 - 9/10: A gorgeous work of art. I love the original Blade Runner and this is the rare 30+ year sequel of a classic that almost matches the original. It was beautiful, with some amazingly captivating long shots (similar to the original a bit in that way). Fantastic plot and wonderful acting. Ryan Gosling really showed me something in this role (I haven't been super impressed with him beforehand) and this was the best work Ford has done in years. It will definitely leave you thinking like good science fiction always does.

Have you seen The United States of Leland? How about Lars and the Real Girl?

Two of Gosling's earlier works before he got popular and started taking roles that didn't require much acting ability.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #6611
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Have you seen The United States of Leland? How about Lars and the Real Girl?

Two of Gosling's earlier works before he got popular and started taking roles that didn't require much acting ability.

Half-Nelson, The Believer
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #6612
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Blue Valentine.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #6613
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I really liked Ryan Gosling in both "The Big Short" and "Nice Guys".
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #6614
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Young Hercules.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:03 PM   #6615
Ironhead
College Prospect

Blade Runner 2049 - 9/10

It was awesome. First movie I have seen in a real IMAX theater. Absolutely worth the experience.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #6616
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Blade Runner 2049

10/10

Walking out last night, Mrs. A said that that movie mad her mad at other movies for sucking so much because it reminded her of how good movies can be.

It did two things very well that are lost arts these days: pacing and atmosphere. If someone lesser than Ridley Scott made this, I'm sure it would have been filled with lots of jump cuts and "Look At Me" style CGI. Instead, it was an actual movie made with care like they used to make them.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:59 AM   #6617
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Have to make a call in the next 30 min. Have a break where I can see a movie. The options are Blade Runner 2049 or Wind River. What do you guys think?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #6618
tarcone
Coordinator

Blade runner. Want another opinion

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #6619
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
If someone lesser than Ridley Scott made this, I'm sure it would have been filled with lots of jump cuts and "Look At Me" style CGI. Instead, it was an actual movie made with care like they used to make them.

Well Ridley Scott didn't make this (Denis Villeneuve did), but your point is right on otherwise.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:13 PM   #6620
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I have seen both. You can't go wrong there, IMO. More about what sort of experience you're looking for. Both are "serious" movies--not many laughs. Both have visual wonders (Wind River natural beauty, Bladerunner future visionary beauty).

I would go on feel. Do I feel like watching a current times drama or a dystopian future scifi?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #6621
molson
General Manager

Wind River is the final movie to be released with Harvey Weinstein credited as executive producer, so you have some historical relevance there....

But if you don't go to the movies a lot, I'd think Blade Runner would probably be the better big-screen choice. If you go all the time, than ya, go by current mood.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #6622
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I ended up having an impromptu meeting and losing my window. I probably would have chosen blade runner. I'll let you guys know once I see it
Old 10-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #6623
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Blade Runner (The original)

3/10

The wife and I watched this one over the last couple of nights and it's a really cool premise and the bones of the story are really interesting but I found the pacing and the acting by all the non Harrison Ford characters to be really distracting.

The whole story works very well. Humans built replicants to do shitty jobs off world. We make them too human, they rebel. Problem for the replicants, they can only make it to 4 years old. They want to evolve beyond this and are almost indistinguishable from humans. Decker is an ace detective who is very good at pulling at loose threads. But man it just felt like drudgery to watch. There are slow burn movies that I love like Apocalypse Now or Siccario, but it always felt like the pacing had a point and I just didn't get it or feel it here.

I'm excited to see the new one though and I hope it pulls me more into the world.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #6624
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Why would you bother with 2049 if you didn't like the original? Seems bizarre to me.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #6625
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, the new one matches the pacing (and I'd argue the thoughtful and introspective pacing) of the original. If you hated the pacing of the original, you'll hate the pacing of the new one.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #6626
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Why would you bother with 2049 if you didn't like the original? Seems bizarre to me.

I think the story of the original was interesting but I didn't like the execution. The reviews seem to suggest that the execution is better or more modern this time around. I'm hoping for more Siccario than Drive
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:01 PM   #6627
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Flatliners - 6/10

I like the original. I like the sequel. Neither is great but they're fun for what they are. Page is excellent as usual and kudos to Sutherland for appearing in the new one.

Bladerunner (Final Cut) - 8/10
Bladerunner 2049 - 9.5/10

I'm a fan of the original, especially the final cut. 2049 is one of the rare sequels that I feel outpaces the first movie. Hit almost all the right notes for me and it is a visceral and intellectual experience.

Marshall - 10/10

Perfect film making. James Cromwell was good as always. Josh Gad is very good and he's the least of the top 4 players. Dan Stevens was a revelation to me as I'm not familiar with him at all (I tried to watch Legion and it didn't work for me).

Chadwick Boseman has played Jackie Robinson, James Brown, Black Panther, and now Thurgood Marshall in the last 4 years and he's worthy of everything he's been given. Excellent performance.

Sterling K. Brown was the star for me. I couldn't place him the entire movie and was shocked to realize he's Randall from This Is Us when I looked afterwards. His role obviously isn't as big as Boseman's, but knowing him from his TV role makes this job stunningly impressive. Everything is different and yet rings completely true. He may outgrow his TV job very quickly.

What Happened to Monday - 5/10

There's a pretty good movie in there but Netflix didn't get all of it out.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 10-19-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:22 PM   #6628
Groundhog
Coordinator

Spider-Man: Homecoming - 6/10

It was OK. A lot of the Marvel superhero movies are becoming very "same-y" to me.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #6629
tarcone
Coordinator

Day off tomorrow, so I am taking the wife to see The Snowman. Its a thriller about a serial killer that comes back from a hiatus. And the detective who didnt find them the first time.

Looks really cool. The trailer was good. Hoping the movie matches it.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #6630
Suicane75
Coordinator

Wind River is an amazing movie, in all aspects. Performances, script, cinematography, it's just a great film that lets things unfold and reaches a crescendo you really don't see coming but totally works.

I was going to put this in the random thoughts thread but since I'm here, Jeremy Renner fascinates me. Whenever I see outside of films he's just this little unassuming fella who doesn't strike me as particularly charismatic or special in any way. And yet when I see him on film, especially in roles like these, he's both brilliant and larger than life.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:44 PM   #6631
Edward64
Head Coach

Thor: Ragnarok - 9/10

Its not out yet but have been reading the early reviews and predict I will really enjoy it.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:46 AM   #6632
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Day off tomorrow, so I am taking the wife to see The Snowman. Its a thriller about a serial killer that comes back from a hiatus. And the detective who didnt find them the first time.

You should read the whole Harry Hole series. Nesbo is an excellent author, better than Larsen was for Scandinavian thrillers, and his stuff doesn't translate well to film.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #6633
tarcone
Coordinator

Thanks for the recommendation. Im looking for a good series to read right now. I will check into that.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #6634
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

11% on RottenTomatoes, let us know what you think.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #6635
tarcone
Coordinator

The Snowman 2/10

I gave it a 2 because Norway is beautiful and they had some great shots of the countryside.
This was extremely random. It was poor directing or editing or both. But it just felt choppy with random scenes that just didnt make any sense.
The acting was okay. Val Kilmer really needs to retire. He is done. The actors just kind of went through the motions though.
I dont know why the put it in the suspense/thriller genre, it was neither. I would put it in the boring genre.
Just a random mess of nothing that made sense to anything.

BUT I did have to go to a new to me theater. And that one is now my go to theater. 10 screens, recliners, a bar, $2 popcorn and soda Tuesdays. It was awesome.
So that was the good thing about this movie. It got me to a new theater.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #6636
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
The Snowman 2/10

I gave it a 2 because Norway is beautiful and they had some great shots of the countryside.
This was extremely random. It was poor directing or editing or both. But it just felt choppy with random scenes that just didnt make any sense.
The acting was okay. Val Kilmer really needs to retire. He is done. The actors just kind of went through the motions though.
I dont know why the put it in the suspense/thriller genre, it was neither. I would put it in the boring genre.
Just a random mess of nothing that made sense to anything.

BUT I did have to go to a new to me theater. And that one is now my go to theater. 10 screens, recliners, a bar, $2 popcorn and soda Tuesdays. It was awesome.
So that was the good thing about this movie. It got me to a new theater.

Damn, only 11% on Rotten Tomatoes. What a waste of an amazing cast.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #6637
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Damn, only 11% on Rotten Tomatoes. What a waste of an amazing cast.

And great source material. Nesbo is an excellent author for the genre. It's now down to 10% on RT and the fan rating is 30%. Thankfully I have MoviePass so I'm almost assured of seeing it despite how poor everyone says it is.

This review snippet is what scares me:

"It's as if everybody involved in The Snowman knew from the start that this wasn't going to work and agreed to put forth the minimum effort required to get it over with."
Old 10-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #6638
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
And great source material. Nesbo is an excellent author for the genre. It's now down to 10% on RT and the fan rating is 30%. Thankfully I have MoviePass so I'm almost assured of seeing it despite how poor everyone says it is.

This review snippet is what scares me:

"It's as if everybody involved in The Snowman knew from the start that this wasn't going to work and agreed to put forth the minimum effort required to get it over with."

Yes. That sums it up perfectly. Just a mess of a movie. Strange things that didnt add to the story were all over the movie. It was just a weird movie that was boring.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #6639
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Just to throw this out there

The director of 'The Snowman' explains why he made such a terrible movie
Old 10-20-2017, 08:26 PM   #6640
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

I was with him until this:

Quote:
Alfredson says he wasn't trying to make a documentary: "If not everything is geographically correct, I don’t give a s---."

That says he did a terrible job and is now looking for a scapegoat.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:28 PM   #6641
tarcone
Coordinator

More than 10-15% was missing.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:45 PM   #6642
Ironhead
College Prospect

Independence Day: Resurgence - 3/10

So much wrong with this movie. It was like someone took a script that was part of a MST3K episode and just added special effects to it.

Last edited by Ironhead : 10-22-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #6643
Johnny93g
College Starter

I really enjoyed Wind River. I don't know if it's the best movie of the year so far, but it's up there.

Baby Driver was fantastic as well. Okja was great. Gifted and Dunkirk are there as well. I guess that's my top 5 so far.

Wonder Woman and Guardians....meh, i don't get it. Sure, they are OK movies, but i see people talking about Wonder Woman getting nominations this year!! I have no idea what they are seeing that I am not.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:55 PM   #6644
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Happy Death Day - 7/10

Better than it had any right to be. Obviously a horror knockoff of the Groundhog Day concept, but it works and they acknowledge that at the end. Jessica Rothe makes the movie as she's actually quite good in the lead role. I'd love to see her do a reboot of Buffy as she's much better than Gellar ever was.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:52 AM   #6645
cmgdodgers
High School JV

Quote:

If you haven’t watched Mr Mercedes I highly recommend it, some what similar premise executed well.
cmgdodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #6646
revrew
Team Chaplain

Magnificent 7 - 6/10

This had been sitting in my Amazon Prime watchlist for a while, so I finally gave in.

If it had been my first western, or my first Denzel Washington film, I probably would have loved it. The classic story is classic for a reason, and the action/scenery was solid, while a few of the scenes were very well done.

But since I had seen a western and Washington before, the plot was predictable as water being wet, and Washington just played his usual "pained, strong, silent man" character. It was almost boring.

But I give it higher marks just because I enjoy Chris Pratt so much, and because Ethan Hawke turned in a very, very good performance that felt more original than some of the things I've seen him do before. He seemed older, a more refined actor, and it showed. All in all, a great movie to show, say, younger teens who haven't really experienced good westerns before, but for more seasoned vets ... just above average.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:43 AM   #6647
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Brawl In Prison Block 99 - 8/10

Vince Vaughn is reborn. He showed signs of life in Hacksaw Ridge, but in this film, he is given the starring role and kind of redefines himself as an actor. Think something similar to the recent Mel Gibson flick Blood Father, but more polished and a little better overall. Vaughn plays a tough guy bald man (Shades of Bruce Willis) with anger issues who finds himself in a bit of a predicament due to some questionable life decisions and a little bad luck. Some really fun prosthetic gore in this one and the story is decent, but everything that happens strikes a perfect tone IMO. I don't want to give much away, but its about time Vaughn did this. I have gone from being annoyed every time I saw him to being excited to see what he does next in the space of about 4 months.

A little bit of a high end B-movie, but it's a fun one and you will most likely make reactionary noises when the action goes down. It's pretty damn awesome.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 10-31-2017 at 05:55 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:24 PM   #6648
PilotMan
Head Coach

Spotlight - 9/10

Great cast, good pace. Should have been named, Spotlight: Touched By Faith. Made me tear up a couple times. Not for all audiences.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #6649
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Thor: Ragnarok - 9/10

Its not out yet but have been reading the early reviews and predict I will really enjoy it.

Saw the movie today. I'll change it to 8/10 rating.

It had alot of humor, far more than any other typical Marvel movie (and not just from Thor). It was a tad to cutesy for me but I still enjoyed it quite a bit and the special effects and the music were great.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:30 PM   #6650
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That was actually Matt Damon. Wow.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote