Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #4501
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I think you may have increased my enthusiasm for this movie.

I had initially thought it might turn out to be a good movie from the trailer and wanted to see it. After reading Alan T's score and the spoiler text, it sounds so damned awful that I HAVE to see it now!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #4502
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Oooh Season of the Witch went up a whole point on RT, up to 4%!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #4503
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Unthinkable-5/10 Some straight to DVD Samuel L Jackson movie about a terrorist planting bombs in the US, and the methods we'll use in order to obtain info from a suspect. It might work as a stage play.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #4504
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I had initially thought it might turn out to be a good movie from the trailer and wanted to see it. After reading Alan T's score and the spoiler text, it sounds so damned awful that I HAVE to see it now!

I avoided the spoiler text the first time, and said, WTH, and went back to read it. And you're right, the spoiler text actually increases my desire to see this for the UIC.

BTW, I already had a problem with the story prior to the movie coming out from what it was described as in the movie notes. So Cage is returning from the Crusades--in the Holy Land--to get into this thing with the witch who caused the Black Death. Really? You mean, the Crusades that ceased in the late 1200s? Coming back, at best, from those. To engage with a witch who caused the Black Death--which ravaged Europe from 1348-1350? That Black Death?

Screw the witch story. I want to know about the time travel from the Crusades to the Black Death.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #4505
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I avoided the spoiler text the first time, and said, WTH, and went back to read it. And you're right, the spoiler text actually increases my desire to see this for the UIC.

BTW, I already had a problem with the story prior to the movie coming out from what it was described as in the movie notes. So Cage is returning from the Crusades--in the Holy Land--to get into this thing with the witch who caused the Black Death. Really? You mean, the Crusades that ceased in the late 1200s? Coming back, at best, from those. To engage with a witch who caused the Black Death--which ravaged Europe from 1348-1350? That Black Death?

Screw the witch story. I want to know about the time travel from the Crusades to the Black Death.

Yeah, sorry that I didn't go into that much detail on that part. I'm not sure which crusades these were, but supposedly everything I read said it was about a 13th century crusader... yet during the movie, the dates of each assault clearly was listed between the 1330s and 1340s. So, I am aware of some 13th century crusades, but I had thought that the 13th century was the 1200s, not the 1300s.

So anyways, the timing lines up with the black plague, but I have no clue which crusades these would have been or how they got the 13th century out of that

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #4506
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The day before the review hit my local paper for it, the very first line in the mention for Season of the Witch was how Cage was willing to do movies for nothing else than a paycheck.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #4507
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
The day before the review hit my local paper for it, the very first line in the mention for Season of the Witch was how Cage was willing to do movies for nothing else than a paycheck.

Cobra chow and dinosaur skulls don't pay for themselves, dude.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #4508
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Yeah, sorry that I didn't go into that much detail on that part. I'm not sure which crusades these were, but supposedly everything I read said it was about a 13th century crusader... yet during the movie, the dates of each assault clearly was listed between the 1330s and 1340s. So, I am aware of some 13th century crusades, but I had thought that the 13th century was the 1200s, not the 1300s.

So anyways, the timing lines up with the black plague, but I have no clue which crusades these would have been or how they got the 13th century out of that

The last Crusade to the Holy Land was in the 1290s, IIRC. I know for sure they were done before 1300, regardless of the actual year. And the Black Death was from 1348-1350.

There were non-Holy Land Crusades after 1300, mostly against the Orthodox Russian kingdoms by the Teutonic Knights or by the Swedes. But those were only very loosely termed to be Crusades, really just land grabs where the local monarchs decided to go to Pope to get it sanctioned.

Regardless, not even any of those Crusades happened in the some two decades prior to the Black Death/ The 1330s-1340s were strangely devoid of Crusades whatsoever. So to have the primary guy be a Crusader knight is patently ridiculous.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #4509
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, yeah, and yes, the 13th century is the 1200s, 1201-1300.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #4510
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Well, I do believe he did file for bankruptcy.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #4511
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Watched episodes 1 and 2 of the first season of Sherlock from the BBC. It's really good, looking forward to watching the 3rd (and final) episode of the season.

/tk
Old 01-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #4512
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Watched episodes 1 and 2 of the first season of Sherlock from the BBC. It's really good, looking forward to watching the 3rd (and final) episode of the season.

/tk

That's funny, I just did the same Saturday night, watched 1 and 2. I really like it. It's just enough of a reinvention to make it interesting, while doesn't get too cute. I'm glad I tried it.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #4513
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I saw Bandslam on Showtime this weekend. I actually really enjoyed it. Granted you can't get much more formulaic, but I enjoyed the ride even knowing where it was going all along the way.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #4514
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post

/tk

I don't get this about the BBC. Three episode seasons?
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #4515
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I don't get this about the BBC. Three episode seasons?

It's pretty common for British televsion to have relatively short seasons. Why that is, I have no idea.

Here, each episode was about 90 minutes long, so if you look at the season as 9 "30 minute" episodes, it's actually a bit longer than your typical British season.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #4516
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Went to see Black Swan, and came away disturbed (expected) and disappointed (not expected). Very well acted overall, and DA "did his thing," but I felt like it was too tough a sell for some reason. I might be unfairly contrasting it with Requiem for a Dream (and even ∏), which I thought delivered the human side as the right entree to the darker decline just about perfectly (and did it ever get dark). Here, I felt like I really couldn't connect with the human side of the main character -- she was flawed at the outset of our relationship with her, and while we gain some insight into why, I never really "felt" it.

So, I didn't dislike the movie... I couldn't honestly give it a numeric rating lower than the random stinker release, as that would be disingenuous. But with DA, and with such production and performances in the mix, I felt like I wanted it to work better than it did (for me).

Truth be told, from what I've read, and what I watched of it last night, this was a companion piece to the "Wrestler". I saw shades of the same story.

She was damaged to begin with, especially with a mother like that.

It was a hell of a movie it wasn't too hard to see where it was going.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #4517
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

The Deerhunter 8.5/10
Really good!. This I doubt is a groundbreaking bit of info, but I needed to say that. DeNiro, Walken and Streep were all fantastic. In fact it was one of the better things I have seen out of Streep in some time, as I was finding some of her roles I have seen in the past to be less than advertised. And the most famous scene had me in suspence as well.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #4518
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I wanted mindless fodder so I watched The A-Team and The Town the other night. The A-Team wasn't classy cinema, but it was entertaining at least. The Town's premise was just so ridiculous that I had a really hard time getting into it, despite wanting to because of all of the positive reviews.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #4519
Izulde
Head Coach

I watch far, far more movies than I ever mention here, but I just figured I'll toss in a few recent ones.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part I - 9/10
This restored my faith in the film series after the absolute trainwreck of Half-blood Prince. Excellent job of ratcheting up the emotional meter and you really do have the sense that this is a darker and more dangerous world HP and friends are in. I think the best thing they did was condensing the forest trudging which occupies like 70% of the novel down into managable, meaningful slices. That said, there were a few clunker scenes, but I'm still very much looking forward to Part II.

Black Swan - 5/10
I said on Facebook that this movie tried, but it was pretty bad. Creepy and disturbing, yes, but there was nothing new about the methods used to display the spirals into madness, the script felt very stilted, and the movie itself was sadly predictable, right down to the ending. I wanted to like this movie. I really did. It does have its moments here and there, but overall there's never an emotional connection that the viewer (at least me) can hook themselves on to. I was never really drawn into caring about the characters. That said, I did like the cinematography, which was probably the film's strongest point and kept me most interested. Oh, and the ridiculous simpleton symbolism of the tattoos drove me absolutely insane (if you'll pardon the pun).

Tangled - 8/10
While not Disney's best film, and probably not as good as The Princess and The Frog, this is still a very enjoyable movie. The animation is absolutely gorgeous even in 2D where I saw it, and Rapunzel is my new favorite Disney princess. Her charm levels are off the charts and the sidekick animals present in almost every Disney movie are showstealers. Sure, the male lead is cookiecutter, but that's true of most Disney films as well. The biggest problem I have with the movie in terms of the Disney tradition is its lack of a worthwhile soundtrack. There's maybe a couple of songs that will be enduring, and that's it. If there was a stronger soundtrack, which is so much a part of a Disney film, this would probably go up another point.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:19 AM   #4520
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Tangled - 8/10
While not Disney's best film, and probably not as good as The Princess and The Frog, this is still a very enjoyable movie. The animation is absolutely gorgeous even in 2D where I saw it, and Rapunzel is my new favorite Disney princess. Her charm levels are off the charts and the sidekick animals present in almost every Disney movie are showstealers. Sure, the male lead is cookiecutter, but that's true of most Disney films as well. The biggest problem I have with the movie in terms of the Disney tradition is its lack of a worthwhile soundtrack. There's maybe a couple of songs that will be enduring, and that's it. If there was a stronger soundtrack, which is so much a part of a Disney film, this would probably go up another point.

Good thing my 4-year-old niece isn't allowed on the Internet yet. I am pretty sure she would hunt you down for saying any of this and not rating this a 10. She has insisted that I have to see it (which is really cute, of course).

Old 01-13-2011, 01:33 AM   #4521
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Good thing my 4-year-old niece isn't allowed on the Internet yet. I am pretty sure she would hunt you down for saying any of this and not rating this a 10. She has insisted that I have to see it (which is really cute, of course).

Well, I did say Rapunzel is my new favorite Disney princess.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #4522
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Well, I did say Rapunzel is my new favorite Disney princess.

you had an old favorite Disney princess?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #4523
stevew
Hall Of Famer

we need a new thread for 2011.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #4524
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Why didn't we need a new thread for 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010? Yes, it is really that old.

Anyways,

The Road - 9/10: Really haunting and beautiful adaptation of Cormac McCarthey's book (which I loved). Mortensen and the kid were excellent in how they portrayed a man and his son trying to get somewhere safe and with plenty of food in this post-apocalyptic world. It is far more realistic feeling than other post-apocalyptic movies/books, as there just seems to be scarcity and cold and fear and it all comes through.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #4525
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I love having a $2 theater here.

Saw "The Social Network" tonight. I wish Aaron Sorkin could write more often- I love the witty banter he has in everything. No one even comes close.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-14-2011 at 09:04 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #4526
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I watched The Social Network last night and thought it was one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I would give it a solid 9/10. The dialog is very good throughout and the kid who played Mark Zuckerberg did a great job. Not sure what was true to the actual story and what was Hollywood but a very good movie none the less.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:07 AM   #4527
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

My mom and I watched The Kids Are All Right last night. I didn't know much about it, other than that it got good reviews and had a good cast. I think I'm giving it a 7.5/10. It didn't follow the typical plot arc, and I was kind of thrown off at the end (just wasn't sure what to make of the movie in general). I guess I'm still "confused" about it.

Edit: Thinking about it more, I think I'm bumping it up to an 8.5/10. I liked how it was real and not one of those Hollywood "everything works out" movies. Just wish I'd had a bit more closure at the end.
/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 01-15-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #4528
tarcone
Coordinator

Last night on AMC was the 60th anniversary showing of The Day The Earth Stood Still. What a great movie. I did not see the remake, as I felt they could not do any better then the original. Unless the new one was updated to the worlds current state of affairs.
Anyway. This movie was fantastic. The characters were well played. The plot was great. Very enjoyable.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #4529
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

The Dilemma 3/10

I was very disappointed with this movie. I though Ron Howard, Vince Vaughn and Kevin James would be a recipe for success, but this comedy missed in nearly all of its humor. I probably laughed twice and checked my watch one hundred times.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #4530
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSeahawks View Post
The Dilemma 3/10

I was very disappointed with this movie. I though Ron Howard, Vince Vaughn and Kevin James would be a recipe for success, but this comedy missed in nearly all of its humor. I probably laughed twice and checked my watch one hundred times.

Wait, you thought Kevin James being in a movie was part of a recipe for success?
Old 01-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #4531
samifan24
Pro Starter

The Social Network - 9/10. Awesome movie. I heard the stellar reviews and wondered how a movie about Facebook could garner such strong reviews. It's just a great story and a great movie.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #4532
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think The Social Network reopens up an interesting debate. They were pretty bold about telling everyone that this is a fictional dramatization of the events. In short, the public disclaimer was that they weren't even trying to make it truthful but to actually tell a better story through fiction.

How ethical is that, if it's supposed to be real events. And how much of a disclaimer do you need? I remember it being all over the media prior to the release but there was nothing in the movie about it. I would think that putting that at the start of the movie in bold letters would have been more genuine. "The following is loosely based on real events. However, many have been fictionalized to dramatize the story" would have been nice.

SI

Old 01-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #4533
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Tangled - 8/10

I'm not sure how much this is common knowledge, but my daughter, who works in Imaginerring, told me Disney had made a conscious decision not to include a 'Broadway Quality' score because they did not want to detract from the characters and story.

Plus Zach Levi can't sing, of course.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #4534
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I think The Social Network reopens up an interesting debate. They were pretty bold about telling everyone that this is a fictional dramatization of the events. In short, the public disclaimer was that they weren't even trying to make it truthful but to actually tell a better story through fiction.

How ethical is that, if it's supposed to be real events. And how much of a disclaimer do you need? I remember it being all over the media prior to the release but there was nothing in the movie about it. I would think that putting that at the start of the movie in bold letters would have been more genuine. "The following is loosely based on real events. However, many have been fictionalized to dramatize the story" would have been nice.

SI

That is an interesting debate, SI, but I don't know how well it can apply to The Social Network. You see, there is disagreement about what happened. There is a version from the Garfield character that was written up into a book, which is what The Social Network is based on. Then there are others attached to the real life events who either say some of it is true, or denounce it all, like the Olympic rower boys or Eisenberg's character. And a lot of it is sealed away in confidentiality agreements from the lawsuits.

So I don't know that we'll ever know for sure what actually happened and what didn't, at least the "behind the Web site" scenes and the personal decisions and interactions.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-16-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #4535
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What he said. It's kinda Rashomon-esque in that this is the story of the founding of Facebook from one pair of eyes. It probably isn't the full story as a result, but it is what it is.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #4536
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Helvetica - Who knew a movie about a typeface could be so interesting?
Old 01-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #4537
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
What he said. It's kinda Rashomon-esque in that this is the story of the founding of Facebook from one pair of eyes. It probably isn't the full story as a result, but it is what it is.

As an aside... after seeing Seven Samurai last fall, I added Rashoman (and Yojimbo) to my list of movies to get from the library. I suppose at some point I should see that.

SI

Old 01-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #4538
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Easy A 7/10 - I really liked this movie. Now it was no great piece of work but it was very entertaining and had some pretty funny parts. Harkens back to some of the 80s movies it mentions.

Last edited by cubboyroy1826 : 01-16-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #4539
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Easy A 7/10 - I really liked this movie. No it was no great piece of work but it was very entertaining and had some pretty funny parts. Harkens back to some of the 80s movies it mentions.

I watched this two days after my surgery. I don't even remember what happened in the movie.

/tk
Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #4540
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I really did not expect a whole lot going in and was just surprised how entertaining it was.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #4541
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Tron Legacy 7/10 - I really enjoyed the movie. Loved the first one too. Visually very well done, and it was a real trip to see young Jeff Bridges. There were simply too many parts of the movie where they could have really explored some interesting plot moments and taken it to that upper echelon of movies...and they didn't. And it isn't like you have to dig very deep to find these moments; watching the movie, they sort of leap out at you. The ending was rather anti-climactic as well. I'm a sucker, though, and I still really enjoyed it.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:47 AM   #4542
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

really? no discussion of The Fighter? or did I miss it? Damn this was one hell of a movie IMO, I loved it, probably a 9/10 maybe 8.5 and thats high for me. Probably vaults into my favorite movies top 10 I think. Christian Bale stole the show, and Mark Wahlberg was awesome even! He does really well in roles with excellent supporting cast. But I am also one of the only people I know that enjoys most of his work (The Happening was awful though, yes I agree). I know people bash his acting but I honestly don't think hes that bad. That being said I love this movie! Even inspired me to rewatch the Gatti trilogy of fights. Wow epicness.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 01-17-2011 at 01:47 AM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 AM   #4543
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Easy A 7/10 - I really liked this movie. Now it was no great piece of work but it was very entertaining and had some pretty funny parts. Harkens back to some of the 80s movies it mentions.

About my take on it, too.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:35 AM   #4544
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
really? no discussion of The Fighter? or did I miss it? Damn this was one hell of a movie IMO, I loved it, probably a 9/10 maybe 8.5 and thats high for me. Probably vaults into my favorite movies top 10 I think. Christian Bale stole the show, and Mark Wahlberg was awesome even! He does really well in roles with excellent supporting cast. But I am also one of the only people I know that enjoys most of his work (The Happening was awful though, yes I agree). I know people bash his acting but I honestly don't think hes that bad. That being said I love this movie! Even inspired me to rewatch the Gatti trilogy of fights. Wow epicness.

Haven't seen The Social Network yet, but The Fighter is easily my favorite of the 2010 movies I've seen. It's really hard to find flaws with the movie. Just all around well done.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #4545
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I really enjoyed the performances in The Fighter as well. Christian Bale is just unreal. From the opening scene with the interview on the couch I knew he was going to be on a whole different level. Amy Adams was great as well.

I guess if I had to find a flaw... the boxing matches were pretty bad. Not that Wahlberg looked bad, but the fact that he gets absolutely pounded for eight rounds and then with a quick one-two it's game over. I'm not into boxing, so maybe that's common. Heck, maybe that's how his match was in real life. But when I was watching I just thought, "Really?" The final match was sort of like that as well.

But outside of the boxing scenes, the movie was fucking fantastic.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #4546
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

snowed in weekend moviepalooza

social network 9/10

reminds me of an argument i once had with my gf about gilmore girls. i said the show was ridiculous because, 'people don't talk like that.' to which she responded,'you have to pretend dumb people don't exist.' fair enough.

ghost writer 0/10

made it about 12-15 min. the acting made me so angry i wanted to anally rape roman polanski in a hot tub with jim belushi's stupid fat head.

moon 5/10

heard someone raving about sam rockwell's performance and checked it out. meh. glorified made for tv movie.

let me in 9.5/10

indifferent to horror. don't like vampires. hated cloverfield. expectations were in the basement. that said, holy fuck it was awesome. if this flick doesn't win the cinematography oscar a huge injustice will be done. the kid ruined the road for me but rocked the house in this one. checking out the swedish version tonight.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #4547
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post

let me in 9.5/10

indifferent to horror. don't like vampires. hated cloverfield. expectations were in the basement. that said, holy fuck it was awesome. if this flick doesn't win the cinematography oscar a huge injustice will be done. the kid ruined the road for me but rocked the house in this one. checking out the swedish version tonight.

I haven't seen the remake but I'd be interested to know how the two compare, since I saw and enjoyed 'Let The Right One In'.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #4548
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive;2410286[B
ghost writer 0/10[/b]

made it about 12-15 min. the acting made me so angry i wanted to anally rape roman polanski in a hot tub with jim belushi's stupid fat head.

HAH. For all the good actors it had in it and the good premise of the story, both the book and the movie were quite a letdown. In all fairness, the book wasn't really a letdown until the end, but the movie failed on so many different levels.

/tk
Old 01-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #4549
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post

social network 9/10

reminds me of an argument i once had with my gf about gilmore girls. i said the show was ridiculous because, 'people don't talk like that.' to which she responded,'you have to pretend dumb people don't exist.' fair enough.

My wife: "Life would be so much better if Aaron Sorkin wrote all the dialog"

SI

Old 01-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #4550
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
checking out the swedish version tonight.
let the right one in 9/10

oh... ohhhh. crazy how one little detail changes both movies massively(although it's ambiguous in the us version it's certainly implied). then after some wiki research to fill in the blanks from the book, fuck me. goes from tragic romance to the saddest goddamn thing i've ever seen.

i think i like the sanitized american version better. but the swedish version is far, far more disturbing.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote