Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #51
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

WILL A HARVARD LOSS PUT REYES ON THE HOT SEAT?

SOME FANS PRIVATELY & PUBLICLY GRIPING ABOUT 'EASTERS COACH
By Steven Windsor
Plainfield Courier-Times Sports Writer

PLAINFIELD -- With the team back in the Top 10, donations at an all-time high and fans packing Muhlenberg Stadium, you'd have a hard time understaning what all of the fuss is about on the East End. Yet, there seems to be quite a bit of grumbling amongst some Plainfield University football fans, that new coach Geno Reyes is in over his head.

None would speak publicly, but if the web site FIREGENOREYES.COM is to be believed, thousands of students have called for the ouster of the new coach.

When your program has only had two coaches in it's history, this is the sort of thing that no one is accustomed to.

Publicly, everyone is saying all of the right things. The AD has backed him, as well as the President and several key trustees. Yet, there remains some element of alumni sentiment that they went with the wrong guy.

For that reason, it seems critical that Reyes silence his critics with a big win on the road against Harvard this Saturday. A loss there would almost certainly end the team's faint BCS bowl hopes and while being bowl eligible alone is an accomplishment, the ante in Plainfield gets raised every day, it seems, as the team's success just makes people hungry for more.

After Saturday, we'll know a lot more than I think we do today.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-01-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #52
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I too, went to Monmouth for two years. But I worked at Knox for most of 2008, so that's why I asked.

No shit? Doing what?

I've still got a good friend of mine who's campus security at Knox.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #53
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

#7 PLAINFIELD 24, #10 HARVARD 14
NOREASTERS ANSWER THE TEST ON THE ROAD IN CAMBRIDGE

Many wondered whether Plainfield University and Coach Geno Reyes could face the stiff ahead posed ahead of them with a game on the road against undefeated Harvard in a hostile crowd on a cold afternoon in Boston.

If this was a mission impossible heading in for the defending MAC champs, they proved it was one that was not too steep, as they knocked off Harvard 24-14 yesterday.

The win began bumpy, as junior QB R.J. Hayward began the first two drives of the game a total of 1-3 with 14 yards and 2 interceptions.

After the second pick, Coach Reyes removed him in favor of backup sophomore Stafford Tyler, who immediately proved himself as a game manager, but moreover, a guy who could find open receivers. Tyler was 20-31 for 240 yards on the day with a touchdown and an interception.

HB Taylor Torres had another strong day on the ground, running for 116 yards on 33 carries, while HB turned wideout Charlie Grier had his best day yet, catching 4 passes for 76 yards including what turned out to be the game winner.

After the game, coach Reyes was asked whether he felt vindicated at the win and he replied, "I don't know what I needed to be vindicated from. People are always going to talk. The confidence of my superiors meant more to me than a bunch of talking heads complaining about stuff they know nothing about. These players were prepared and executed and we came away with a win. But whenever you're playing anyone -- Top 25 team or a D3 team from Nebraska -- you've got to be ready to play hard and fight. No one wants to endure the bus ride home with a loss on their heads. Nobody."

Plainfield will travel to Monmouth, IL next week to take on the (3-3) Fighting Scots, followed by a home contest against Knox (2-3) before a second bye week and three more games to end the regular season.

For all of the rancor over the loss earlier in the season to Rutgers, it seems many are growing accustomed to the new coach, but moreover, have embraced Plainfield University as a school where winning titles is expected. "That's been the most unexpected part of all of this, " said athletic director D.C. Harris. "The fact that the winning culture has translated into so much of what we do here at the 'Field. Folks talk about "green and gold" spirit in the chemistry program and the debate team. I mean, our athletes aren't dummies and I think that helps too. The students see these guys in their classrooms as peers, not hired guns we bring here to win professional titles without pay. They're here to get an education."

What an education it's been.

Whether Tyler or Hayward will start next week has yet to be decided, said Coach Reyes, but the team will "assess the situation and make a determination that will best help our ballclub," said the coach.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #54
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
No shit? Doing what?

I've still got a good friend of mine who's campus security at Knox.

I worked in PR, in charge of web strategy before I went to another school to do the same thing after they transitioned that role to IT.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #55
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

2010 SCHEDULE
Code:
WEEK 1: TROY (W, 33-6) WEEK 2: WYOMING (W, 39-20) WEEK 3: @ Delaware (W, 23-0) WEEK 4: BYE WEEK 5: RUTGERS (L, 31-38) WEEK 6: @ William & Mary (W, 43-0) WEEK 7: ARMY (W, 30-6) WEEK 8: @ Harvard (W, 24-14) WEEK 9: @ Monmouth (W, 58-27) WEEK 10: KNOX (W, 34-24) WEEK 11: BYE WEEK 12: NAVY (W, 40-7) WEEK 13: @ Vassar WEEK 14: PITT

With two games left, the Noreasters control their own destiny yet again. With wins against a strong Vassar (7-3) squad and Pitt (4-6), they'll be in line for another MAC title game and a shot at a second straight BCS bowl game. Coach Geno Reyes has silenced his critics for the time being, but many are wondering privately whether the team is prepared. After going back to T.J. Heyward (213-357, 2897 yards passing, 21 TDs, 15 INTs) at QB, he changed his mind with two games left in the year and named Stafford Tyler as the starter for the rest of the year.

"We're ready to make this work and we will," said Coach Reyes.

MEDIA POLL
1. Texas (37) 11-0
2. Oregon State (27) 10-0
3. TCU (1) 10-0
4. Chicago 10-0
5. Plainfield 9-1
6. Harvard 9-1
7. Oklahoma 8-2
8. Ohio State 10-1
9. Cincinnati 9-1
10. Florida 10-1
11. Yale 10-1
12. Iowa 10-1
13. West Virginia 8-2
14. Colorado 10-1
15. Wisconsin 8-2
16. Delaware 8-1
17. North Carolina 8-2
18. Notre Dame 6-3
19. Ole Miss 8-2
20. Virginia 8-2
21. Utah 9-1
22. Texas A&M 8-3
23. Tennessee 6-4
24. Georgia Tech 6-4
25. Clemson 8-3
Old 02-02-2010, 01:03 AM   #56
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

NOREASTERS SLAM INTO PITTSBURGH, 62-27
Plainfield coach Geno Reyes raised his hands in victory after the game, pointing to the fans in the student section in a signal that looked one part like validation and another celebration.

The #5 ranked Noreasters were actually outrushed by Pitt 350-199 in the game, but what killed the Panthers was FOUR interceptions that Plainfield manage to capitalize on and sent Pitt into a hole it couldn't get out of. So despite 558 yards of total offense by Pitt (4-8), the Plainfield Noreasters (11-1) are headed to their 2nd straight MAC title game, with a shot at a BCS game.

"We're happy. No, we're proud of this team. These men worked hard," said Reyes, after the team's performance.

When asked whether he felt vindicated by constant fan assertions that he "wasn't ready" for the job, he just shruged and said, "Look, the AD and the administration supported me since Day One. They always tell me that I'm here because they brought me here. I respect them and respect that. I'm here 'cause I'm a good coach and I'm a motivator and so, I don't care what people say. I just care about the results on the field." Adding that, "not everyone can be a Hoeblitz. This is gonna be a hard job for anyone's shoes to fill." [sic]

Now the team prepares for a rematch with Harvard in the MAC title game. It seems unlikely the team will rise in the rankings, with four teams ahead of them and two of those teams that don't have title games to play to end the year.

Still, says Reyes, it's important to prove the team wasn't a fluke last year. "People said, that we weren't good. That it was an easy schedule. Well, this year, we prove that's not true." The team was led by a backup quarterback to end the year and a backup running after the starter was moved to wideout, but didn't see a dropoff in major offensive production.

Whether success will continue is anyone's guess, but few are counting out the boys from Plainfield any longer and Reyes believes, he's part of that solution. "I'm confident that I can coach at this level. We've proven that."
Old 02-02-2010, 01:28 AM   #57
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

AFTER ONE SEASON, PLAINFIELD'S REYES HIRED BY FLORIDA STATE

TALLAHASSEE - In a season fraught with turmoil, Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher was fired in mid-season after starting out 0-6. Desperate to find a strong presence and motivator for their program after a season that ended with the school going 2-9, the school plans to announce the hiring tomorrow of Plainfield University head coach Geno Reyes, which caps a whirlwind for the coach who was just a season ago coaching New Mexico State of the Western Athletic Conference.

Citing unnamed sources, Reyes was cited as the "only candidate" on the list of the administration at FSU and that several trustees stated that "money would not be a barrier" to bringing the 40-year old upstart to Florida State.

The hope there, is that Reyes turns out like another young mid-major coach heading to a major program in the state of Florida (Urban Meyer) and can lead the program back to prominence.

Reyes, who is expected to make $1.65 million will get a four-year contract with the Seminoles. He'll make less than outgoing coach Fisher, who agreed to a buyout, but the faithful in Tallahassee believe that Reyes is just what the doctor ordered for their program.

"He's the real deal," said one unnamed source. Meanwhile, back in Plainfield, the news has really yet to hit the campus since the students are already gone for winter break. University administration have been mum, believing to be waiting until the formal announcement before making a statement about the departure of Reyes.

It was no secret that the young coach had not endeared himself with the locals during his brief stay in central New Jersey. Having to replace a coach who'd spent pretty much his whole life at the school, was no easy task, some say. But others cite his inability to communicate with the student body and cancellation of traditions like "Lunch with Coach" where students would sign up to have lunch with coaches of all sports, but specifically with the football coaches. The Hobelitzes were the founders of the tradition in the 1950s and seemed to enjoy it. "It was like your grandfather was telling you stories," said one alumnus.

Another struggle that Reyes had was on the recruiting trail. He lost out on 4-star QB Blake Kolumber who signed with Notre Dame after having Plainfield high on his list down to the time he gave a verbal to the Fighting Irish. Meanwhile, the Seminoles have already inked a 5-star and two 4-star recruits for the upcoming year.

It's believed that offensive coordinator Billy Hart would coach the team for the MAC title game and bowl game, but privately, it's believed that players were irate with Reyes with leaving before the year ended.

"They're fired up and want to prove to him he made a mistake," said one source close to the team. They'll get their chance, too. Plainfield and Florida State have a home/home series scheduled beginning next season, with the first game in Tallahassee next year.

For their part, a BCS bowl bid is at stake, as well as a conference title, so they won't need a lot of motivation, said Joe Bingham, a sportswriter for the Plainfield Gazette. "These guys grew up wanting to play here. They understand it doesn't stop with one guy."

As for the possibility of bringing back Skip Hoeblitz for two games as interim coach? "No chance," said Bingham. "I doubt he'd want to come in there and do that for two games and go home. He'd probably get the itch to stay and he chose to move on consciously. I think they'll promote from within and call it good."

No matter what happens, it'll be an interesting few weeks in Plainfield, following this suprising news.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:40 AM   #58
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

In case you are wondering what we're going to do, the answer is, we have no idea. We're kicking around every scenario -- inducing Hobelitz to come back, giving Hart the full-time job, going after a better candidate -- and so, we're just sorta looking at our options for a few days, before making a real decision about what to do, beyond the interim period.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #59
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I created a poll for folks to chime in on what we ought to do next. It won't be open that long, Lord knows I won't be able to wait.

The School That Never Was Coaching Poll - Front Office Football Central
Old 02-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #60
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Ya know, on an amusing side note.

If you wanna be technical, my family owns 50% of the original bronze turkey. That's my great great granddaddy's newspaper they got money from, there.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #61
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Harvard QB Darryl Gold wins the 2010 Heisman

2010 SEASON
Code:
WEEK 1: TROY (W, 33-6) WEEK 2: WYOMING (W, 39-20) WEEK 3: @ Delaware (W, 23-0) WEEK 4: BYE WEEK 5: RUTGERS (L, 31-38) WEEK 6: @ William & Mary (W, 43-0) WEEK 7: ARMY (W, 30-6) WEEK 8: @ Harvard (W, 24-14) WEEK 9: @ Monmouth (W, 58-27) WEEK 10: KNOX (W, 34-24) WEEK 11: BYE WEEK 12: NAVY (W, 40-7) WEEK 13: @ Vassar WEEK 14: PITT (W, 62-27) MAC TITLE GAME: HARVARD (L, 16-40) GMAC BOWL: CENTRAL FLORIDA

After the turmoil of the loss of Coach Geno Reyes, Billy Hart was named head coach in Plainfield. His first game was a huge blowout, 40-16 loss to Harvard, that sent the Noreasters out of the BCS bowl picture. This disappointed fans, but were patient with Hart, who they believed was sabotaged by the departed Reyes.

Plainfield rebounded, beating UCF 41-17, to claim the school's first bowl win since 1966

PLAINFIELD UNIVERSITY BOWL HISTORY
Code:
1938 Bacardi Bowl: Plainfield 7, Havana University 0 1948 Oil Bowl: Plainfield 33, Hardin-Simmons 5 1949 Great Lakes Bowl: Plainfield 59, Mount Union 18 1951 Glass Bowl: Plainfield 51, Toledo 7 1952 Raisin Bowl: Plainfield 28, Pacific 14 1953 Salad Bowl: Plainfield 19, Xavier 8 1954 Salad Bowl: Plainfield 40, North Texas 10 1960 Gotham Bowl: Plainfield 39, Oregon State 7 1963 Gotham Bowl: Plainfield 18, Villanova 2 1964 Camellia Bowl: Plainfield 58, University of Wichita (now Wichita State) 31 1966 Pasadena Bowl: Plainfield 32, Grambling 31 2009 Sugar Bowl: Oklahoma 45, Plainfield 39 2010 GMAC Bowl: Plainfield 41, Central Florida 17

NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
Code:
2009: Florida def. Chicago 2010: Oregon State 21, Texas 14

BIG EAST INVITES PLAINFIELD TO REPLACE TEMPLE FOR 2011 SEASON
Surprise, shock, amazement as the Plainfield Noreasters were invited by the Big East conference to join its fray for the 2011 season, after two strong years in the MAC conference.

School officials weighed the decision heavily, wondering if leaving the MAC was really the right move, especially given the alliances with some of the schools in that league.

In the end, officials decided that the loss of Geno Reyes was caused ultimately by the school's inability to guarantee a BCS bid. So, in an effort to ferment the school's long-term athletic success, it decided to leave the MAC and accept the Big East's offer to join its league.

"We made the calculation that this was the right move for Plainfield University in all of our athleic endeavors," said University President Joanna Cranford, with her comments echoed by athletic director D.C. Harris, who said "we believe this sets us up well for the future. It's an honor to be asked to join a league like this and we're just chomping at the bit to get started."

The boost to the school's growing basketball program was mentioned as part of the calculus to make this move at the present time, as well, say officials close to the decisionmaking process.

It seems likely the Rutgers game will remain on the schedule, regardless of the move to the new league, said officials who admitted the ability to have a recruting leg up on their Jersey neighbors was not lost on them and that it was a big part of their calculus.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-03-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:45 AM   #62
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

BILLY HART REVERSES COURSE, TAKES NFL HEAD COACH JOB

The Plainfield Nor'easters believed they had their head man, heading into an offseason where the school accepted a move to the Big East conference. Instead, their head coach has agreed to terms with the Oakland Raiders to become their next head coach, leaving Plainfield again without a head coach.

Despite the loss of two head coaches in less than a month span, D.C. Harris says he's not worried. "We'll be able to find someone who wants to be here. We're a program on the rise and someone will see what sort of value there is to being here and we'll make it work. I'm confident," he said.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:53 AM   #63
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

GARRETT VAN BLAKE HIRED AS NEW PLAINFIELD U. COACH

GARRETT VAN BLAKE HIRED AS NEW PLAINFIELD U. COACH

Considered a long shot for the job, the 36-year old Plainfield native was interviewed for the coaching job after six successful years at the helm of Plainfield High School. He's spent the past three years on the staff of Plainfield U., first as recruiting coordinator and last year, Geno Reyes promoted him to Assistant Head Coach and wide receivers coach. The unheard of move from high school to head coach is unprecedented, but AD D.C. Harris believes it's the right move.

"He's a man with Plainfield in his heart. He's a Plainfield guy. He earned a graduate degree here, so he's an alum too. We wanted someone who wants to be here a long time and build something special and we believe that, with the right team surrounding him, he'll be successful. Plus, he's had three years here to see how we do things and having been a head coach, he understands how to build a program."

At PHS, he led the team to six straight NJSIAA state sectional playoff appearances, culminating with three Group IV titles before leaving after the third consecutive title.

"I'm honored and I am humbled," said Van Blake, regarding his appointment to the post. "We're going to recruit the right kinds of students. The ones who want to be here and who believe in this program.

Van Blake had successfully implemented the Hoeblitz offense at the high school level, so it is expected he'll run the Texas A&M based playbook, deviating from the offense Geno Reyes ran after just one year.

When asked whether he expected the program to contend in its new Big East conference, he replied, "we're going to work hard and do our best. Whether it yields results, will be up to all of us. We'll be held accountable."