Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-15-2021, 08:43 PM   #5451
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

A) It does not. And if Victim was white and Criminal was black it would not matter to society either.

B) Anything Victim may or not be able to do does not make him responsible or accountable or to blame for the situation that caused his death. (And again if Victim was white and Criminal was black that's exactly how it would be seen by society and in court determinations)

Let's say there was a cop who was walking in a heavily black neighborhood and accosts someone and calls him the n-word and says a few choice racist statements about how n-words shouldn't exist. A bunch of other black people hear him and confront the cop and kill him for it. You think people are going to say the cop has accountablily for his statements and that he got himself killed? Hell no.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-15-2021 at 08:49 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:49 PM   #5452
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I would. Still wouldn't justify his death.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:51 PM   #5453
GrantDawg

But of course by your arguments, you would have to say the cop did nothing wrong since he was killed, right?

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-15-2021 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:53 PM   #5454
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Nope. I would say the cops statements and actions do not mean he bears any responsibility for his murder.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:56 PM   #5455
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Nope. I would say the cops statements and actions do not mean he bears any responsibility for his murder.

I would say most people would disagree with you.

We have a responsibility to not put ourselves in potentially harmful situations. If you were out with a friend and they had too much to drink, you chose to get in the car with them anyway and get paralyzed in a wreck. You aren't responsible for the crash, but you are responsible for the choice you made getting in that car.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:57 PM   #5456
GrantDawg

The officer is solely responsible for the kids death, and has been charged as such. I still don't know who is suggesting otherwise.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:01 PM   #5457
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Lathum just said my hypothetical loud racist cop bears some responsibility for his death. Do you agree? Or do you believe his killers have sole responsibility for his death?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-15-2021 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:05 PM   #5458
GrantDawg

The killer's bear all responsibility. Being a racist prick doesn't justify being murdered. Being murdered does not justify being a racist prick.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:06 PM   #5459
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Lathum just said my hypothetical loud racist cop bears some responsibility for his death. Do you agree? Or do you believe his killers have sole responsibility for his death?

I never said that. I said the hypothetical cop has a responsibility to make decisions that don't put him in a dangerous situation.

Do you not think we have a responsibility to keep ourselves out of potentially dangerous situations?

You have a kid. When he is a teenager are you going to teach him not to get in the car with someone who has been drinking? You going to teach him to wear a seatbelt? To not take a bus to a strange area even though his friends want to?

What if you have a daughter? You going to teach her not to walk alone in a poorly lit area? Not to park in a dark lot? Not to get in a car with strange boys?
Old 04-15-2021, 09:08 PM   #5460
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So if being a racist prick doesn't justify being murdered and the killers bear all responsibility (I agree, btw) why bring up the cop was a racist prick? Why talk about his responsibility to not be a racist prick when his murder is being discussed? What does it help?

Old 04-15-2021, 09:10 PM   #5461
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
So if being a racist prick doesn't justify being murdered and the killers bear all responsibility (I agree, btw) why bring up the cop was a racist prick? Why talk about his responsibility to not be a racist prick when his murder is being discussed? What does it help?

Because if he wasn't a racist prick he would still be alive.

I mean, that is indisputable. It doesn't absolve or excuse the people who killed him, but it also doesn't change the fact that he put himself in that position.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:14 PM   #5462
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

To bring it back to Daunte Wright. Do you think if he had complied he would have been killed?

If the answer is no, then you are saying his actions contributed to his death. It in NO WAY excuses the cop, or justifies it one little bit. It doesn't mean he deserved it, and it isn't victim blaming as much as you want it to be. It simply shows there is accountability on all sides.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:17 PM   #5463
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When he is a teenager are you going to teach him not to get in the car with someone who has been drinking? You going to teach him to wear a seatbelt? To not take a bus to a strange area even though his friends want to?

Your teenage son gets into a car accident because he's a passenger with someone who's been drinking. He loses a leg. You tell him, you aren't responsible for the crash but you are responsible for making the choice to get into the car..

Any reasonable person is going to think you hold him partially responsible for losing his leg. You after all held him responsible for the action that led to the chain of action that led to him losing his leg.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:21 PM   #5464
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Your teenage son gets into a car accident because he's a passenger with someone who's been drinking. He loses a leg. You tell him, you aren't responsible for the crash but you are responsible for making the choice to get into the car..

Any reasonable person is going to think you hold him partially responsible for losing his leg. You after all held him responsible for the action that led to the chain of action that led to him losing his leg.

I believe the choices people make have consequences that they are responsible for. You don't. We clearly are never going to see eye to eye on this.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:31 PM   #5465
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
it isn't victim blaming as much as you want it to be. It simply shows there is accountability on all sides.

I literally showed you a definition that a synonym of accountability is blameworthiess (by Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus).

Here is the point that I am getting to with GD. Doing things that may or may not increase the likelihood of certain actions (such as getting in a car with a drunk) does not make one responsible, accountable, or blameworthy of every ultimate consequence (such as losing a leg). The responsibility lies on the one who does the ultimate act.

Perhaps the issue is you don't know what you're saying when you try to say he's has some accountability (blame, responsiblity) for his actions here - I mean if he has accountability for his actions, what is that accountability. The cop's response to his actions, right? You try to box up accountability for his actions without seeing where that ends up leading. Or you may not have realized accountability and blameworthiness are synonyms and meant something else entirely.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-15-2021 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:34 PM   #5466
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I believe the choices people make have consequences that they are responsible for.

So Wright made a choice to flee (for whatever reason). The consequence ended up that he got shot by the officer (who confused her taser and her gun). Wright therefore was responsible for that consequence of his choice, right?

GD, I believe you are arguing something entirely different.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:39 PM   #5467
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I believe the choices people make have consequences that they are responsible for. You don't. We clearly are never going to see eye to eye on this.

The rapist is obviously in the wrong but she did make the choice to wear a short skirt.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:40 PM   #5468
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You are being too results oriented. The result of his actions are far disproportionate but that doesn’t excuse his actions or absolve him of his part in them.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:43 PM   #5469
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The rapist is obviously in the wrong but she did make the choice to wear a short skirt.

Completely different scenario and you can go fuck yourself trying to paint me with that brush.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:17 PM   #5470
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Qwikshot, thank you for your thoughtful post which has unfortunately been missed in the crossfire.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:29 PM   #5471
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Completely different scenario and you can go fuck yourself trying to paint me with that brush.

Read your post. You said actions have consequences. So when does that apply? When it is a minority being murdered or in general? You're cherry picking.

And part of the problem is that there are no consequences for cops. He blatantly lied on his police report, his superiors lied to the media, and a prosecutor lied to a judge. Where are their consequences?
Old 04-16-2021, 02:26 AM   #5472
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Here is the point that I am getting to with GD. Doing things that may or may not increase the likelihood of certain actions (such as getting in a car with a drunk) does not make one responsible, accountable, or blameworthy of every ultimate consequence (such as losing a leg). The responsibility lies on the one who does the ultimate act.

My understanding (quite possibly incorrect) is that in the US you be convicted of murder just by being in the car with someone who murders someone, if the prosecutors can prove it was reasonable to think that something bad was going to happen?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:33 AM   #5473
AlexB
Pro Starter

FWIW I think it is probably is definitions that are being mostly argued here

It’s impossible to say that the actions of Daunte Wright in trying to flee arrest did not play a part in the way that events unfolded - if he had stayed then he wouldn’t have been shot at that moment.

That doesn’t make him responsible or accountable, or that he deserved to be shot, but in terms of the old role playing books, it does mean that his action action to flee meant the story turned to page 60 instead of turning to page 50 if he had stayed put
Old 04-16-2021, 06:03 AM   #5474
GrantDawg

Quote:

Because he was. Facts don't stop being facts.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:15 AM   #5475
GrantDawg

Quote:

Perhaps the issue is you don't know what you're saying when you try to say he's has some accountability (blame, responsiblity) for his actions here - I mean if he has accountability for his actions, what is that accountability. The cop's response to his actions, right? You try to box up accountability

Again, I have said this over and over. A person is responsible solely for his actions, and the bad actions of another person doesn't erase that. Wright made a bad action in trying to flee. The officer still didn't have a right to shoot him.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-16-2021 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:25 AM   #5476
GrantDawg

Quote:
I literally showed you a definition that a synonym of accountability is blameworthiess (by Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus).
Also, let's point out legally that the way your definition are being used do not hold up. Let's say two people get into a fight that was clearly started by one. Then let's say that non-instigator beats him till he is defenseless then pulls a knife and stabs the instigator. Only one of them is going to be charged with assault with a deadly weapon and possible attempted murder. Does that mean the stab victim is suddenly innocent? Because one committed a greater crime does not obsolce the other of the lesser crime.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:34 AM   #5477
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Because he was. Facts don't stop being facts.

So someone is shot by the cops. His history of drug use is brought up even though it didn't seem to have any effect on the shooting. Facts don't stop being facts?

Old 04-16-2021, 07:39 AM   #5478
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It’s impossible to say that the actions of Daunte Wright in trying to flee arrest did not play a part in the way that events unfolded - if he had stayed then he wouldn’t have been shot at that moment.

That doesn’t make him responsible or accountable, or that he deserved to be shot, but in terms of the old role playing books, it does mean that his action action to flee meant the story turned to page 60 instead of turning to page 50 if he had stayed put

Well put. 100%

(Although, granted, especially with that video from Chicago last night, even complying with orders doesn't protect you)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-16-2021 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:03 AM   #5479
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Well put. 100%

(Although, granted, especially with that video from Chicago last night, even complying with orders doesn't protect you)

That Chicago video is beyond disturbing and I also agree with Alex, I don't see any disagreement in acknowledgement of both the tragedy and ultimate culpability of these shootings being due to flaws in system.

Police are required to be so much more in their jobs than simply enforcers of the law anymore and there is laundry list of reform items needed to make sure they can function in their roles effectively and safely, for them and the general public.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:51 AM   #5480
bob
College Starter

Maybe I am mistaken, as I was watching the video on my phone, but wasn't Adam Toledo turning with the gun in his hand? If so, I'm not shocked that a cop would fire.

Edit: Reading online maybe I'm wrong. As always this stuff is politicized and I don't want to watch the video myself so someone else that knows the facts please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by bob : 04-16-2021 at 08:58 AM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:58 AM   #5481
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Maybe I am mistaken, as I was watching the video on my phone, but wasn't Adam Toledo turning with the gun in his hand? If so, I'm not shocked that a cop would fire.

Been reading but didn't actually watch it. The link below seems to support he had a weapon in his hand "1 second" before turning around. He didn't have a weapon when he turned around but the video indicates he had a weapon just before turning around (which I assume means he tossed it as he was turning around). See approx 30-55 secs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCyvrsVchxs

More discussions to follow I'm sure

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-16-2021 at 09:01 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #5482
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
My understanding (quite possibly incorrect) is that in the US you be convicted of murder just by being in the car with someone who murders someone, if the prosecutors can prove it was reasonable to think that something bad was going to happen?

I think this goes on a state by state basis. If you're part of a felony act that results in a murder, everyone involved in the felony can be charged. For example, if a bank robber shoots someone during a robbery, the get-away driver can be charged with murder even though he himself didn't kill anyone.

In story linked below. Two men invaded a home. One was shot dead by the homeowner. The other invader is now charged with murder for the killing, not the homeowner.

https://apnews.com/article/d3317345a...f4b83802e3d57f

Last edited by NobodyHere : 04-16-2021 at 09:39 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:07 AM   #5483
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I think this goes on a state by state basis. If you're part of a felony act that results in a murder, everyone involved in the felony can be charged. For example, if a bank robber shoots someone during a robbery, the get-away driver can be charged with murder even though he himself didn't kill anyone.

In story linked below. Two men invaded a home. One was shot dead by the homeowner. The other invader is now charged with murder for the killing, not the homeowner.

https://apnews.com/article/d3317345a...f4b83802e3d57f

These are sort of in line with what I was trying to get at, and make me think that the arguments from yesterday are more about definitions and nuance rather than them being diametrically opposed to each other.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #5484
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I want to note that I've never been in favor of Felony Murder statutes. Many other countries have abolished it due to it's unfairness (it was abolished in England and Wales in 1957).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-16-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:30 PM   #5485
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm sure I've told this story before, but in law school one of my classmates worked the night shift at Steak & Ale (that is a sentence typed by an old person). He was married with 2 kids, so he had to work to support his family even though students technically weren't allowed to work during the 1L year.

Anyway, one night after he closed up, he was kidnapped at gun point by 2 guys who wanted him to go to his bank and drain his account. He didn't have his bank card with him, so they forced him to drive home to get it. Knowing that his wife and 2 young kids (I believe one was a newborn) were at home, he knew he couldn't go home so as he drove onto the on-ramp to I-10, he saw a semi parked on the shoulder, floored it, and drove straight into the back of it going 70+ mph.

He was wearing his seatbelt and survived. The dude in the passenger seat died. His buddy in the back survived. Backseat kidnapper was charged with felony murder and convicted.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:35 PM   #5486
RainMaker
General Manager

Did anyone at the insurrection get charged with felony murder?
Old 04-16-2021, 04:22 PM   #5487
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm sure I've told this story before, but in law school one of my classmates worked the night shift at Steak & Ale (that is a sentence typed by an old person). He was married with 2 kids, so he had to work to support his family even though students technically weren't allowed to work during the 1L year.

Anyway, one night after he closed up, he was kidnapped at gun point by 2 guys who wanted him to go to his bank and drain his account. He didn't have his bank card with him, so they forced him to drive home to get it. Knowing that his wife and 2 young kids (I believe one was a newborn) were at home, he knew he couldn't go home so as he drove onto the on-ramp to I-10, he saw a semi parked on the shoulder, floored it, and drove straight into the back of it going 70+ mph.

He was wearing his seatbelt and survived. The dude in the passenger seat died. His buddy in the back survived. Backseat kidnapper was charged with felony murder and convicted.

I told my wife and daughter this. Never get in a car with a bad guy. If you are in a car with a bad guy and driving, have your seatbelt on and run into something.

I'm glad it worked out for your friend. He made the right call to avoid going home.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:58 PM   #5488
GrantDawg

Quote:
So someone is shot by the cops. His history of drug use is brought up even though it didn't seem to have any effect on the shooting. Facts don't stop being facts?

Is it still a fact? It wouldn't justify him being killed. If a person just got through raping puppies, zipped up his pants, walked out into the street, and some cop decided to shoot him, it would not be a justified shooting. The guy still raped a puppy.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:58 PM   #5489
GrantDawg

Quote:
Did anyone at the insurrection get charged with felony murder?
They should have been.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:11 PM   #5490
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is it still a fact? It wouldn't justify him being killed. If a person just got through raping puppies, zipped up his pants, walked out into the street, and some cop decided to shoot him, it would not be a justified shooting. The guy still raped a puppy.

Does the raping puppies have anything to do with his murder? So who cares? Why bring it up unless you want to say he deserves to die for it?

So you are cool when people bring up every single bad thing a person who has gotten shot by the police has done? Because they are "the facts"? How about in rape instances where people want to talk about all the people the victim has slept with? Facts are facts.

Just because something is "a fact" doesn't make it relevant or helpful.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-16-2021 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:19 PM   #5491
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post

Quote:
Well put. 100%

This is what I have been saying this whole time, and you keep playing these dumb semantic games. You agree with me, so I am done.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-16-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:54 PM   #5492
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, I don't buy its "definitions".

There is a fundamental difference here. Some see everything as black and white (no pun intended), others see it more nuanced.

But whatever. Easy out.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:41 PM   #5493
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
This is what I have been saying this whole time, and you keep playing these dumb semantic games. You agree with me, so I am done.

Yet you were defending Lathum who said Wright did have accountability and then quite clearly said he had responsiblity for the consequences of his choices. So I'm not sure exactly what you've been saying the whole time.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:00 AM   #5494
GrantDawg

There were things I agreed with Lathim with, or thought I did. We diverged somewhere in the middle of this.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:38 AM   #5495
RainMaker
General Manager

Imagine doing all this and only getting a $30k bond.

Louisville police officer arrested, accused of woman’s assault | Lexington Herald Leader
Old 04-18-2021, 12:53 PM   #5496
GrantDawg

Quote:
That is awful, but then I have no idea what standard bond is for a case like this. Seems low, but then people fighting for the end of money bonds all together. I don't know what the process here is in determining bond (is it the crime, or based on worth?).
This guy is accused of killing two people and got out on $500,000 bond, which seems low to me. It seems Kentucky doesn't allow bail-bonds, so it might be that bonds there are just lower because of that.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-18-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:01 PM   #5497
GrantDawg

The more I think about it, it probably is a combination of issues. Being cop maybe one, but someone with no history of violent crimes, in a state that generally has lower rates, and it is a domestic abuse which generally has lower bond rates as well.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:07 PM   #5498
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

You can always count on Maxine Waters to throw gasoline on the fire.

Quote:
The judge in Derek Chauvin's murder trial in the death of George Floyd criticized recent comments by Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., saying her words could be grounds for the defense to appeal a verdict.

Chauvin trial judge says Maxine Waters' 'confrontational' protest remarks could fuel appeal
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:22 AM   #5499
GrantDawg

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/20/polit...ice/index.html
Old 04-20-2021, 07:16 AM   #5500
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So Florida's new anti-riot bill... yeesh. A three-person protest is now defined as a "riot" and a third degree felony.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote