Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #251
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
WOW! A dead heat for the gold in the Women's 100m freestyle!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #252
PilotMan
Head Coach

A tie for gold in swimming?!?!? That's ridiculous.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #253
spleen1015
Coordinator

There was one last night too.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #254
DanGarion
Coordinator

Yay for Michelle Jenneke.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #255
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Ok, the diving pool suddenly turning "green" (instead of "blue") overnight is up there for weird things to happen.

The Diving Pool has been closed because they've been unable to get the water quality under control. Also athletes are reporting the building stinks...

That can't be good!

http://www.sportingnews.com/athletic...116ip93vw55uzs

Last edited by Breeze : 08-12-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #256
larrymcg421
Head Coach

US women's soccer in trouble. Down 1-0 in the 72nd minute.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #257
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
US women's soccer in trouble. Down 1-0 in the 72nd minute.

JINX

1-1
Old 08-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #258
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yes!

Reverse jinx FTW!

Old 08-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #259
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

US feels like they should be winning 6-1. Lot of missed chances and I think they started to press a bit. I just cant see them losing this.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 08-12-2016 at 12:52 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #260
MrBug708
Head Coach

US might have a complaint, Sweden was hosed
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #261
Easy Mac

These refs are atrocious
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #262
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
The Diving Pool has been closed because they've been unable to get the water quality under control. Also athletes are reporting the building stinks...

That can't be good!

http://www.sportingnews.com/athletic...116ip93vw55uzs

I get that Rio has issues.

But every YMCA in the country can keep a pool from turning green and smelling. This isn't rocket science.

How the hell do you screw that up at this level?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:43 PM   #263
larrymcg421
Head Coach

WTF

Old 08-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #264
MrBug708
Head Coach

Stanford and Cal, the schools leading the Olympics in medals, just saw their two star soccer alums, miss PK's
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:45 PM   #265
RainMaker
General Manager

Why was Tobin Heath playing RB?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #266
Butter
Coordinator

Proof that the women won the World Cup despite the coaching, not thanks to it. At least, AFAIC.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #267
Critch
lolzcat

Bad news for Hope Solo's family, she's coming home angry - "We lost to a bunch of cowards. The better team did not win."
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #268
whomario
Pro Starter

Lol at her switching gloves. Also i hate to break it to her, but Sweden has already "made it far in the tournament".

Overall, a solid 8 on the 10-point Ronaldo-scale !

german team beat China and suddenly seem to have a shot at this despite being pretty atrocious themselves ... China was super weak and down to 10 man on a high kick towards the face (solid 8 on the DeJong-scale ) and still Germany produced maybe 4,5 chances all game ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:55 PM   #269
bhlloy
Coordinator

Rio ratings are hurting; are streaming options eating into TV viewership? - Aug. 11, 2016

This is interesting given our earlier discussions in this thread. Overall viewing figures are massively down even including the people streaming it. I still think the chances of young people staying away from results and waiting a couple hours to watch live events on tape delay in primetime is very slim, let alone 7-8 hours like some of the events.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:06 PM   #270
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Rio ratings are hurting; are streaming options eating into TV viewership? - Aug. 11, 2016

This is interesting given our earlier discussions in this thread. Overall viewing figures are massively down even including the people streaming it. I still think the chances of young people staying away from results and waiting a couple hours to watch live events on tape delay in primetime is very slim, let alone 7-8 hours like some of the events.

US viewers blast NBC coverage of Rio Olympics

Maybe basically coordinating a Highlights-package and creating some pre-determined "USA is so great, just watch us win another gold medal in 30 minutes folks" narrative is kinda lame ?

What i don´t get (or rather see no way around) that people complain of one sport being chosen over another and label that as failing, because that´s preference more than anything else. But that´s what streams should be for, does NBC offer those ?

I personally dread the fact that in Germany the public stations (with basically no commercials) have lost the rights for the next couple olympics ... yeah they concentrate on the germans, but they do that win or loose, show live what they can, have 6 aditional streams and so i can catch a ton of other sports from fencing to womens handball with no germans involved.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 08-12-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #271
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

NBC has an app that streams every single event as far as I'm aware of.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #272
cartman
Death Herald

Poor Serbia. The US men's basketball team has some frustrations they want to work out.

Last edited by cartman : 08-12-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #273
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yes, that's true (although do they stream the primetime events live for the west coast crowd? I know they didn't for the opening ceremony). And to be perfectly honest if I hadn't just started a new job 2 weeks ago I'd probably be streaming a lot of it at work.

My personal annoyance is being made to wait until 8pm PST for the primetime coverage. I'm home from work at 5. All of the Phelps events which are live for other people are tape delayed here for advertising reasons and I've ruined every single one of them by absent mindedly surfing the web on my phone and seeing it spoiled on every site known to man. Yeah, I know more fool me in that case but it still sucks. And I know NBC would have way more people annoyed if they started their coverage at 5pm because they wouldn't be home from work yet, but they could allow the west coast to at least get access to the east coast feed if they wanted.

TLDR, it's not so much that streaming isn't available it's more the horrible tape delay on the west coast that means we basically get screwed on the premier events in the evening that the rest of the country aren't watching live. And in my case if I see the result I'm probably going to skip the primetime coverage, which is what NBC is relying on to get some of their 1.3 billion dollars back. I can't say I'm massively surprised they are struggling.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:42 PM   #274
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Poor Serbia. The US men's basketball team has some frustrations they want to work out.

deviating to the mean now. Serbia won´t make this very close (not as good as a few years ago i would say) and are the sort of team that´ll say "whatever, screw this" in the 4th when down and go from -15 to -25/30 quickly. But until then it looks pretty in spurts at least. Teodosic is such a gifted passer.

Jokic is one of those young Euro Bigs that´ll be always better in the NBA than these tournaments.

Last edited by whomario : 08-12-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:41 PM   #275
whomario
Pro Starter

last 3 DeAndre Jordan FTs: 1 in off the glass, 1 swished, 1 clanged of the front of the rim.

5 point game, now watch for Melo or Durant hit 3 straight from deep or sth ...

Last edited by whomario : 08-12-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #276
wustin
College Prospect

Jokic is the next Dirk
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:47 PM   #277
whomario
Pro Starter

too many fouls by Serbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
Jokic is the next Dirk

ok, random

Last edited by whomario : 08-12-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #278
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
ok, random

He misspelled Toni Kukoc.

Last edited by cartman : 08-12-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #279
wustin
College Prospect

Kukoc was a point forward though
Old 08-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #280
wustin
College Prospect

big break for the US
Old 08-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #281
cartman
Death Herald

Lots of grit shown by Serbia. They could have just rolled over when they were down huge early. It was 23-5 I think at one point in the first quarter.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #282
whomario
Pro Starter

That Kyrie-Possession going 1 on 5 with 4 all stars next to him was everything that´s wrong about NBA Basketball in 20 seconds. That´s the main reason i want the US to loose every once in a while ...
Old 08-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #283
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
That Kyrie-Possession going 1 on 5 with 4 all stars next to him was everything that´s wrong about NBA Basketball in 20 seconds. That´s the main reason i want the US to loose every once in a while ...

Worked for him against GSW and Australia. He usually makes those circus layups. It's no surprise coach K went back to him.

Last edited by wustin : 08-12-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #284
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
Worked for him against GSW and Australia. He usually makes those circus layups. It's no surprise coach K went back to him.

It works because he´s Kyrie Irving and insanely good. Doesn´t mean it´s anything resembling the highest% shot available in the situation. And if that´s what a coach is supposed to do ... "Hey, this time Kyrie gets the Iso. Everybody else, don´t trip over and play defense in 20 seconds, k ?"

I personally just think it´s a stupid way to approach a team sport.

Last edited by whomario : 08-12-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:27 PM   #285
miami_fan
Coordinator

This 800m "race" is amazing.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:31 PM   #286
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
This 800m "race" is amazing.

They shouldn't spot her such a big lead. Wait, what's that, she swam the same distance as everyone else? Jeebus. Won by 11 seconds.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:38 PM   #287
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
They shouldn't spot her such a big lead. Wait, what's that, she swam the same distance as everyone else? Jeebus. Won by 11 seconds.

Amazing how easy she makes long distance swimming look.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:58 PM   #288
tarcone
Coordinator

Shoot, any distance swimming. She is amazing.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #289
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I am sure there will be a committee formed to come up with some sort of rule change to accomplish more parity in the competition

Quote:
From ESPN recap

Some 23 seconds after Ledecky touched the wall, the last of the eight finalists finally ended the grueling race.

She beat an Olympic finalist by 23 second! Are you kidding me?!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #290
nol
Banned

Maybe someone with more swimming knowledge can explain this for me, but it seems like Phelps and Ledecky are more or less even with other Olympic-level swimmers when it comes to doing the actual stroke but just obliterate everyone at the turns.

Is that a tactical/technique edge or just the manifestation of some physical advantage they have over everyone else (e.g. everyone knows it's better to spend more time underwater after pushing off the wall but only Phelps/Ledecky can do it for that long)?
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #291
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Maybe someone with more swimming knowledge can explain this for me, but it seems like Phelps and Ledecky are more or less even with other Olympic-level swimmers when it comes to doing the actual stroke but just obliterate everyone at the turns.

Is that a tactical/technique edge or just the manifestation of some physical advantage they have over everyone else (e.g. everyone knows it's better to spend more time underwater after pushing off the wall but only Phelps/Ledecky can do it for that long)?

So a few comments to your post:

Your impression on the importance of underwaters is accurate. In fact, coaches are now referring to underwaters as the 5th stroke. When races at this level are often decided by a second or less, good turns/dives can make all the difference, and Phelps has been exploiting this much longer than most other swimmers. While the underwaters can have an impact at the Olympics is has much more of an impact in short course season (25 Yard Pool), which is what the NCAA competes in. Given that college is the feeder system for US international swimming the US team is typically good off the walls.

As for your impression that it is the walls / underwaters that separate Phelps and Ledecky from the rest of the pool, you are a bit off. Phelps is still good at turning, but if you watched him pull away in the breast on the 200 IM and close in the fly in the semi-finals (Finals too - if you ignore Schooling was just too good) - that's all after the turn which means it is swim speed. Ledecky's speed is more obvious - even on her distance swims she typically is opening a half body length lead in the first 50 after surfacing from the dive (where she typically surfaces in line with most of the other swimmers) and before the turn. Then she just keeps pressing that speed advantage and it adds up lap after lap (plus she doesn't fatigue like many other swimmers because of her distance training). Also in distance swimming, underwaters become less important. If swimmers consistently push underwaters too far in an 800 or 1500 they will suffer from oxygen depravation and it will slow them down considerably.

Hope this helps explain a bit. If not let me know and I'll try to clarify further.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:31 PM   #292
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

In the 800 Ledecky was almost a half second ahead by the end of the first 50. Then she kept adding about half a second per fifty through the first 200.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:47 PM   #293
Thomkal
Head Coach

Fine example of the Olympic spirit in action: (and I use the word loosely):

Defeated Egyptian judoka REFUSES to shake hands with Israeli rival at Rio Olympics | Daily Mail Online

Some had tried to pressure him to withdraw completely rather than face the Israeli and potentially lose.

Last edited by Thomkal : 08-13-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:22 PM   #294
nol
Banned

Quote:

Your impression on the importance of underwaters is accurate. In fact, coaches are now referring to underwaters as the 5th stroke. When races at this level are often decided by a second or less, good turns/dives can make all the difference, and Phelps has been exploiting this much longer than most other swimmers. While the underwaters can have an impact at the Olympics is has much more of an impact in short course season (25 Yard Pool), which is what the NCAA competes in. Given that college is the feeder system for US international swimming the US team is typically good off the walls.

As for your impression that it is the walls / underwaters that separate Phelps and Ledecky from the rest of the pool, you are a bit off. Phelps is still good at turning, but if you watched him pull away in the breast on the 200 IM and close in the fly in the semi-finals (Finals too - if you ignore Schooling was just too good) - that's all after the turn which means it is swim speed. Ledecky's speed is more obvious - even on her distance swims she typically is opening a half body length lead in the first 50 after surfacing from the dive (where she typically surfaces in line with most of the other swimmers) and before the turn. Then she just keeps pressing that speed advantage and it adds up lap after lap (plus she doesn't fatigue like many other swimmers because of her distance training). Also in distance swimming, underwaters become less important. If swimmers consistently push underwaters too far in an 800 or 1500 they will suffer from oxygen depravation and it will slow them down considerably.

Hope this helps explain a bit. If not let me know and I'll try to clarify further.

Nice. Yeah, Ledecky is clearly on another level endurance-wise, but I was mostly referring to the events that aren't their 'specialty.' The kick seems to be more of an equalizer when Ledecky is at shorter distances and for stuff like the backstroke portion of the individual medley for Phelps. Anyway, kind of amusing that there are so many different medals to be had for different swimming strokes over ~200 meters (individually and in relays) when it seems optimal to spend as much of the race as possible not even using those strokes but being underwater after pushing off the wall - whatever buffs the medal count for America, I guess

Last edited by nol : 08-13-2016 at 02:30 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #295
whomario
Pro Starter

Saw some of the Shooting today (i think it was the only event i haven´t watched anything of, ever) and i don´t get it. Must be the least-apealing sport for the spectator because you don´t actually see anything happening.

Fun game between Brazil and Argentina in the Basketball group stage (yes, still ). Argentina pulls one out in 2OT, Brazil now might be eliminated depending on how spain does, while Argentina are assured 1st or 2nd place. Nocioni a big game with 37/11

Fellow Argentine Del Potro reaching the final in the Tennis, beating Nadal. Great story, guy had a run of injuries to his hands after his US open win years and years back, the last injury in 2014 and is now in the final being ranked No137.

Couple medal event coming up in the athletics already, Long Jump (m), Heptathlon (f). Also the last couple of medals being handed out for the swimmers, the greedy bastards
Old 08-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #296
whomario
Pro Starter

Also, re: Jobs at the Olympics. Riding an electric bike in front of the indoor cyclists (in the sprint they ride behind it for a few laps at increasing speeds, then the last 2 its on) is definitely one of the more responsible ones i would say !
Old 08-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #297
whomario
Pro Starter

Monica Puig with the first ever Gold Medal for Puerto Rico, beating Angelique Kerber in the tennis final. One of those matches where i couldn´t be mad with the german athlete loosing, Puig just with great energy and resolve and a kick-ass performance on the biggest stage of her career !
Old 08-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #298
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I thought you were limited to a certain distance underwater? Or is that only on starts? I just remember it being an issue in 88 as mark Tewksbury was the best swimmer, but sucked underwater so he didn't medal. They changed the rules and he won gold in 92.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #299
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
I thought you were limited to a certain distance underwater? Or is that only on starts? I just remember it being an issue in 88 as mark Tewksbury was the best swimmer, but sucked underwater so he didn't medal. They changed the rules and he won gold in 92.

yeah, 15 metres for Freestyle, Backstroke and Butterfly. For Breaststroke it is one dolphin leg kick and 1 arm stroke (which is way shorter than 15 m, doing breastroke under water is pointless, thus no metre-restriction )

SW 5 FREESTYLE | fina.org - Official FINA website (can click through the others)

But those 15 metres are still pushing it for many athletes on most disciplines/styles, so it´s definitely a factor if you can consistently get close to that without loosing speed. Though i think it´s really less about distance than speed you generate on the turns and how smooth you go from that to you stroke again.

EDIT: While Backstroke (Tewksburys main style) was limited to 15 meters since 1991, for some reason Butterfly and Freestyle only followed suite in 1998.

Last edited by whomario : 08-13-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #300
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Mo Farah must be a fan of Chumbawumba, because he got knocked down, got up again, and the rest of the field couldn't keep him from winning gold in the 10K (he was the only one to fall in the incident)