Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2020, 04:25 PM   #551
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Ok, so I decided to check here first but have no idea. My kids are wanting an Xbox these days. We currently have a Nintendo Wii from like 12 years ago that everyone has grown out of. Right now it appears that every single console has sold out and I have no idea how much these should normally cost. I do not mind buying a used one on eBay, but am I looking for a 1 TB Xbox One X? I would imagine a new one is around $399 or something, but do these have high resale (ie should I not expect a big discount from the base price)? I really have no idea, always been a computer gamer.

A quick google looks like pre-owned (refurbished or not) 1TB from a retailer is going about $40 cheaper than brand new ($359 vs $399)

I'd personally be wary of going previously owned from an individual on somewhere like eBay but YMMV. The pricing will vary more there obviously and you could get one noticeably cheaper I imagine, but whether that's due to someone needing quick cash vs someone not knowing the market value vs someone looking to rip you off would be hard to know without pulling the trigger.

fwiw, here's a rundown of the differences between the Xb1S and the Xb1X, mostly internal things so depending upon how much use and what games specifically are of interest, a 1s might be sufficient, with probably $100 - $150 lower price
Old 06-29-2020, 04:30 PM   #552
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And just beware, as I noted, the next gen is coming out this Oct/Nov and likely will be the same $399 price or just a $100 more (and will last much longer). So if you can wait 4 months or so...
Old 06-29-2020, 06:09 PM   #553
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
A quick google looks like pre-owned (refurbished or not) 1TB from a retailer is going about $40 cheaper than brand new ($359 vs $399)

I'd personally be wary of going previously owned from an individual on somewhere like eBay but YMMV. The pricing will vary more there obviously and you could get one noticeably cheaper I imagine, but whether that's due to someone needing quick cash vs someone not knowing the market value vs someone looking to rip you off would be hard to know without pulling the trigger.

fwiw, here's a rundown of the differences between the Xb1S and the Xb1X, mostly internal things so depending upon how much use and what games specifically are of interest, a 1s might be sufficient, with probably $100 - $150 lower price

Thanks, this is helpful.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:01 PM   #554
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
So I'm actually getting really excited about getting an Xbox Series X. My last 'big' console was the Xbox 360. I skipped the current gen, up until the Switch came out. And I was immediately drawn to its docked + portable nature. And the Breath of the Wild made me love gaming again. So I'm getting a new console, and the Series X seems to look much better and has a ton of backwards compatibility - meaning I can play all the previous gen titles I missed out on (starting with Witcher III).

I'm excited as well, although I've purchased consoles since the Atari days.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:17 AM   #555
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Though no impact on me, I do think it's interesting that Epic basically just announced that they're all but killing Save The World (the original Fortnite game mode).

It will remain premium, never to be free-to-play. Development will be scaled down with occasional new semi-annual "seasons" and the old locations/enemies going into "rotation".

Those who played it are (and moreso, those who spent money on it) are, umm, unhappy based on their social media reaction.

edit to add: How dead are they killing it? They even announced that future BR cosmetic purchases would not be supported in STW. Anybody care to set the over/under on how long before STW is shut down completely? Does it last more than a year from now?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-30-2020 at 02:19 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #556
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Though no impact on me, I do think it's interesting that Epic basically just announced that they're all but killing Save The World (the original Fortnite game mode).

It will remain premium, never to be free-to-play. Development will be scaled down with occasional new semi-annual "seasons" and the old locations/enemies going into "rotation".

Those who played it are (and moreso, those who spent money on it) are, umm, unhappy based on their social media reaction.

edit to add: How dead are they killing it? They even announced that future BR cosmetic purchases would not be supported in STW. Anybody care to set the over/under on how long before STW is shut down completely? Does it last more than a year from now?

Very disappointed to see this happen to STW, but just felt there was never the same dedication to it that there was with the battle royale. I think I'd rather see them just wave goodbye right now then extend something they are never going to commit to. Like you Jon I don't think it lasts more than a year.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:01 PM   #557
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

TWO Victory Royales in one day? For ME?

I screwed up.

I shoulda played the lottery instead of playing Fortnite.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:25 PM   #558
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I enjoyed Far Cry 5, but don't bother with New Dawn. It's pretty bad.

Without knowing what you have/haven't played I'll list some of the games I've played:

Horizon: Zero Dawn - Really great game all around
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - The best AC game overall IMO
God of War - Probably one of the 5 best PS4 games
Detroit: Become Human - Quantic Dream isn't for everyone, but this was a 9/10 type game for me
Spiderman - A good game, but I felt it was a bit overrated. More like a 7/10 rather than the 9/10 that most were giving it.
The Long Dark - Tough survival game with a story. The survival elements are outstanding. The story is ok.
No Man's Sky - If it launched in the shape it's in now it probably would have pulled some GOTY talk. It's morphed into a really strong game.
Control - Cool setting, interesting story. So-so and repetitive gameplay.

As far as survival games I haven't played yet, but have been on my radar. Green Hell has a terrible name, but may be something worth checking out.

I guess the nice thing about being slow to play games is there are some great deals on games from a couple years ago. Many from your list.

I bought New Dawn because it was on sale for $15 and I enjoyed FC5. Really liked it. Thought some of the changes were nice although both the stories sucked.

Picked up Assassin's Creed Odyssey for $15 last night also (was the last night of the deal on the PS store). Will get around to that soon.

Still can't believe some of the deals out there on games.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:01 AM   #559
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

In cleaning out my garage I found my old XBox360 and started searching around for the last NCAA football game on the internet and the cheapest I could find it was for $150!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:38 AM   #560
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Does THE LAST OF US PART II need its own thread?

I'm about 15 hours into it now. So far, it is a very well done game. I'm loving it.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #561
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
In cleaning out my garage I found my old XBox360 and started searching around for the last NCAA football game on the internet and the cheapest I could find it was for $150!

Guess I need to hold onto mine for a bit longer.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #562
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I need to see if my PS3 copy of NCAA14 is still in good condition!
Old 07-09-2020, 10:58 AM   #563
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I'm going to make a few offers on eBay for $75 and see if anyone bites. The frustrating part is that is the only NCAA Football that I didn't buy.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:29 PM   #564
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Guess I need to hold onto mine for a bit longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I need to see if my PS3 copy of NCAA14 is still in good condition!

Gonna make a halfassed prediction that if COVID-19 fucks with the college football season at all, that $150 price is gonna jump as people try to get their fix however they can.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:25 PM   #565
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Gonna make a halfassed prediction that if COVID-19 fucks with the college football season at all, that $150 price is gonna jump as people try to get their fix however they can.

No doubt about it.

I decided to download the rosters for this season and started up a Mizzou dynasty. Boy am I rusty! I won against some no name team 42-7 but could not throw the football much at all.

It was fun playing again after all these years, I forgot just how great of a game this is. Excited to dive in some more!

Bama lost to Virgina to open up their season and Clemson crushed Georgia.

For Xbox 360 the gamertag you want for rosters is irish2018. Mizzou was near perfect so I'm assuming the rest is just as well done.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-09-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:59 AM   #566
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Damn NCAA Football 14 plays better than Madden 20. Beat Toledo 42-17. I know it's been years since I've played but passing and running are great.

I forgot about the game breaks while they show you scores around the league.

Oh yeah and Bama gets shutout at home 34-0 by Texas Tech.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:16 PM   #567
markprior22
High School Varsity

Sure would like to play. Unfortunately I don't have the hardware to run the game.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:22 PM   #568
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So, IIRC, Microsoft has basically said that any Xbox game ever will be backwards compatible with Xbox Series X. Which means finding old NCAA games is more fruitful.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:33 PM   #569
Kodos
Resident Alien

I have my Xbox 360 disc and it's also downloaded on my PS3. Good to have redundancy built in.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:15 PM   #570
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So, IIRC, Microsoft has basically said that any Xbox game ever will be backwards compatible with Xbox Series X. Which means finding old NCAA games is more fruitful.

I wouldn't bet on super old games like NCAA Football. Since it's not bc with Xbox One, I would be surprised if it would run on Xbox Series X unless they have some sort of emulator or something.

If so... that would be awesome.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #571
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I wouldn't bet on super old games like NCAA Football. Since it's not bc with Xbox One, I would be surprised if it would run on Xbox Series X unless they have some sort of emulator or something.

If so... that would be awesome.

Some of it may be difficult (and perhaps not everything will be able to), but that is their intent:

Xbox Series X backwards compatibility explained by Microsoft: what you need know | TechRadar

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Xbox One currently supports 575 Xbox 360 titles and 41 original Xbox titles. It doesn't cover the thousands of games in the Xbox back catalog but it looks like Microsoft is looking to fix that with the Xbox Series X.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:35 PM   #572
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Some of it may be difficult (and perhaps not everything will be able to), but that is their intent:

Xbox Series X backwards compatibility explained by Microsoft: what you need know | TechRadar

That would be incredible.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #573
miami_fan
Coordinator

All right, fess up!

Which one of you made the winning bid?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/11/us/su...rnd/index.html
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:54 PM   #574
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

On the final day of the Steam sale, the offspring bought a few odds & ends, including FHM6.

Historical replays are always tempting to me, for the nostalgia alone, though I have to confess that I can't really be nostalgic for the early 1920s since I'm actually not quite that old.

That said, after starting in the earliest year possible, I feel like I have a better understanding of the hockey decades prior to the Original Six than I ever had before. And having gone through just a handful of seasons now, I'm already developing a much larger sense of amazement at how much time will pass between the Original Six official beginning and the major expansion 25 years later (which occurred the year I was born, so it's really largely been what I've known and understood). Arguably the most educational/enlightening sports game experience I've had I think, at least in terms of feeling like some things clicked in my head.

edit to add: Oh, and a game-specific hat tip: the what-changed snippet that arrives in your game inbox before the start of a new season is, IMO, concise enough to avoid TLDR but also provides adequate explanation for the upcoming season. They're absolutely vital to playing in this sort of universe.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-12-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #575
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

MSFS 2020 Pre-Order Trailer

I give to you ... Sex In the Air.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 07-13-2020 at 02:13 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #576
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
MSFS 2020 Pre-Order Trailer

I give to you ... Sex In the Air.

100% not my thing as a gaming experience, but it's visually stunning. Probably worth watching the trailer for that reason alone, regardless of game interest.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-13-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:53 PM   #577
Warhammer
Pro Starter

That is...wow...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:55 PM   #578
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I mean, it's not like any of us are going to be getting in airplane anytime soon so it's the next best thing, right?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:57 PM   #579
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Though I have a feeling I could buy an actual airplane for what it'd cost to render the game anywhere close to the demo.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #580
BYU 14
Coordinator

Holy crap, that is visually stunning. Makes me salivate about what MLB The Show might look like on PS5
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #581
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
100% not my thing as a gaming experience, but it's visually stunning. Probably worth watching the trailer for that reason alone, regardless of game interest.

Guessing you'll need one hell of a video card to play that.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:26 PM   #582
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Holy crap, that is visually stunning. Makes me salivate about what MLB The Show might look like on PS5

They figured out a novel way to do it. The scenery is dynamically downloaded as you fly - otherwise you'd be talking literally thousands of terabytes of scenery data. The drawback is you need a beefy internet connection to get that level of hotness.

The fact that it renders in the different seasons though ... fucking incredible.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #583
RainMaker
General Manager

Ok I've played The Forest over the weekend and it is a ton of fun. Really challenging solo and feel like it would be a lot more fun with a friend or two. One of those games you could probably play through a dozen times and have a unique experience with each one.

It's like $12 on PS4 store right now so I recommend it to anyone who likes survivor games.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #584
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
They figured out a novel way to do it. The scenery is dynamically downloaded as you fly - otherwise you'd be talking literally thousands of terabytes of scenery data. The drawback is you need a beefy internet connection to get that level of hotness.

The fact that it renders in the different seasons though ... fucking incredible.

Yeah, that is spectacular for sure. I won't buy the game, but I would watch videos of others playing it LOL
Old 07-13-2020, 04:14 PM   #585
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
FS is gonna give my 2080Ti a workout
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:47 PM   #586
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
FS is gonna give my 2080Ti a workout
I remember playing the first MFS in CGA graphics so many years ago. Yeah, playing this one on my 2080 is going to be quite different.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:07 PM   #587
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Yeah, that is spectacular for sure. I won't buy the game, but I would watch videos of others playing it LOL

I'll go back to streaming flight sims if ya'll raise enough money for me to get a 2080.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:50 PM   #588
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll go back to streaming flight sims if ya'll raise enough money for me to get a 2080.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:55 PM   #589
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

From what I know of modern technology, it really isn't even possible to stress a 2080 with a game because the CPU not the GPU is the bottleneck. So it might be more of a case where you need the latest overclocked whatever to achieve this.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:21 PM   #590
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I went into Georgia, 5-0 in NCAA 14 and got throttled, 48-14. Up next is #7 Florida.

Next gen NCAA football would be so awesome.... maybe someday.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:41 PM   #591
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Just had an absolute awesome game in NCAA 14. #7 Florida is just crushing me, 41-13 as the 3rd quarter is winding down and we get a pick 6 to make it 41-20 as time runs out. Somehow in the 4th quarter we get another INT and then score to make it 41-27. We stop Florida and have nice drive, make a crucial 4th down and then later would score to make it 41-34.

Florida is driving and they make a big 3rd down catch that gets them into FG range and I'm thinking he was out of bounds when he caught it. I challenge the play and it gets overturned so now they have to punt. We have another great drive and on a QB run, score the tying TD, 41-41.

We stop Florida again and with under a minute left, we have the ball on the 50 yard line. We miss on 3 straight pass plays and with the last play of the game, I see their safety leave his zone and now my #1 WR is one on one with their CB so I launch a pass. My WR jumps up, catches the ball and then as the CB is trying to wrap him up, he regains his balance and scamper into the endzone for the game winning TD!!!

Over the years I've had some fun console sports gaming moments (many with NCAA 14), but this has to be one of the top 5 for sure. I never use our x360 although my daughter and her friends prefer it to the xb1x. Kind of funny that a 7 year old console sports game still plays a damn fun game of football.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:13 PM   #592
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm trying my best to get into actually playing Kenshi after finally breaking down and buying it.

It will run -- though a bit precariously -- on even my computer (but I do have hopes that a declutter mod will help with that). So far my problem is getting my head around the camera controls.

WASD is not compatible with my brain apparently, and even the mouse movement leaves me moving incorrectly almost half the time. It's going to be really frustrating if I'm ultimately sunk on a game that has a lot of complexity and nuance by something as ostensibly simple as the camera controls.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:22 PM   #593
Atocep
Coordinator

Kenshi is probably one of the most interesting, frustrating, and amazing games I've ever played. The stories that come from it are things no other game can match. It's a unique experience.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:23 PM   #594
RainMaker
General Manager

Are you new to WASD? I keep telling myself I need to learn how to play games that way but can never do it. Decades of using a controller and not sure my muscle memory will ever pick it up.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:30 PM   #595
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Are you new to WASD? I keep telling myself I need to learn how to play games that way but can never do it. Decades of using a controller and not sure my muscle memory will ever pick it up.

I might as well be new, I'm pretty sure the last thing I played that way -- so long ago I don't even remember what it was -- would have been before Will was born, so at least 22 years ago.

I could live with a certain amount of "no, not toggle maps you idiot" mistakes, the thing that frustrates me to tears is when I find myself unable to see my character/his surroundings because I somehow managed to rotate the camera to the wrong side of a wall and I'm suddenly staring at stone from two inches away.

The mouse option for the camera does work, but I seem to make the same mistakes with it so that ain't helping much.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:35 PM   #596
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Kenshi is probably one of the most interesting, frustrating, and amazing games I've ever played. The stories that come from it are things no other game can match. It's a unique experience.

I've seen enough YT of it to know how remarkable it can be, hell I spent more than an hour trying to decide which start to use for my first actual attempt to play. (would a solo character be better for my control wonkiness? would a multi-member party accelerate my learning curve with the controls OR frustrate me to tears? Decisions, decisions)

The basic premise, for those unfamiliar, is "you're nothing special at all, everything skill starts at Level 1 and you can become whatever you work at" opens up a lot of possibilities.

And the base game has exceptional replayability, combined with some "world state change" mods and it seems almost limitless.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:14 PM   #597
bhlloy
Coordinator

Really interested to see how you get on with it. It's something that I've looked at so many times, and thought it looks intriguing, but ultimately something in a review I've read has left me thinking it's not a game I'd enjoy.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:15 AM   #598
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Really interested to see how you get on with it. It's something that I've looked at so many times, and thought it looks intriguing, but ultimately something in a review I've read has left me thinking it's not a game I'd enjoy.

I'll give you some idea of how the learning curve goes.

My first session lasted about an hour. In that time I managed to stay alive, figure out how to pick up items (I already knew how to move, from watching YT). That took most of my first in-game day cause I kept forgetting to pause time while figuring out shit.

A couple days later, my second session lasted a couple hours. During that time: I passed another two in-game days, figured out how to mine basic resources, made it to another town, avoided multiple bandit packs and most importantly: learned THREE keyboard shortcut commands

Of all that, the three shortcuts were by far the most important accomplishment (though knowing to run like a scared rabbit toward the nearby town AND MAKING IT was second place)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-21-2020 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:07 PM   #599
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Fired up a Banished campaign. Such a beautiful game.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:40 PM   #600
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Golf topia is out on EA today. I just picked it up and hope to give it a spin here soon

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 07-21-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote