Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-18-2019, 12:14 AM   #8001
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

X-Post for squaredcricle subreddit:

The way the crowd got behind Kofi this week was incredible and speaks volumes about his talent. To get such huge pops, and get such heat on ANY heel would be impressive, much less when that heel is DANIEL BRYAN.

AJ Styles is a terrific performer, and even he couldn't get heat in his feud with Bryan. People are happy to boo Bryan in the angles, but generally still want to see him to win his matches (hence the dead crowd for the Styles matches).

Compare this crowd to Bryan vs. Lesnar 3 months ago.

I was a little nervous about Bryan's heel run not having any truly over babyface to work with, which is why the angles have been hot but the matches have been crickets. Kofi has worked magic in these 2 matches, and nothing else really springs to mind in terms of "grabbing the brass ring" so quickly. What a memorable week.

Kudos to all involved. I jump in and out of following wrestling, but I think Bryan is doing the best heel work since 1997 Bret Hart or 1997 Hollywood Hogan. A lot in common between the 3, all were growing fairly stale as the same old babyface they had been for years, but any of them could have just milked that for the rest of their career and been near the top of the card (but not on top). Each heel turn was gutsy, trying to get the crowd to boo someone who you thought would possibly never be a heel again, and each resulted in the best character work of their careers. You can tell that Daniel Bryan has done a lot of deep thinking about professional wrestling, and it certainly seems like he has studied the Hart/Hogan turns (especially how Hart managed to keep the boos going in 97).

You don't often get a situation where a feud has massive heat before a single promo has been cut, and it's even crazier because of who the heel is. Also, the smarks are actually behind the face, even though they love the heel. Also, New Day and Enlightened Bryan are entertaining television for casuals (based on a sample size of 1 vegan non-wrestling fan roommate who loves them both).

This feud is loaded with potential. Only time will tell if it ends with Kevin Nash vs. Triple H at Summerslam.

Last edited by Front Office Midget : 02-18-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:21 AM   #8002
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Wonder how Marty will be without the club.

He's pretty much still Marty. (saw him with his new entourage at the ROH tapings a few weeks ago).
Old 02-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #8003
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Bret Hart was still a face in 1997. You Americans just chose to boo him. The rest of the world still cheered.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #8004
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office Midget View Post
X-Post for squaredcricle subreddit:

The way the crowd got behind Kofi this week was incredible and speaks volumes about his talent. To get such huge pops, and get such heat on ANY heel would be impressive, much less when that heel is DANIEL BRYAN.

AJ Styles is a terrific performer, and even he couldn't get heat in his feud with Bryan. People are happy to boo Bryan in the angles, but generally still want to see him to win his matches (hence the dead crowd for the Styles matches).

Compare this crowd to Bryan vs. Lesnar 3 months ago.

I was a little nervous about Bryan's heel run not having any truly over babyface to work with, which is why the angles have been hot but the matches have been crickets. Kofi has worked magic in these 2 matches, and nothing else really springs to mind in terms of "grabbing the brass ring" so quickly. What a memorable week.

Kudos to all involved. I jump in and out of following wrestling, but I think Bryan is doing the best heel work since 1997 Bret Hart or 1997 Hollywood Hogan. A lot in common between the 3, all were growing fairly stale as the same old babyface they had been for years, but any of them could have just milked that for the rest of their career and been near the top of the card (but not on top). Each heel turn was gutsy, trying to get the crowd to boo someone who you thought would possibly never be a heel again, and each resulted in the best character work of their careers. You can tell that Daniel Bryan has done a lot of deep thinking about professional wrestling, and it certainly seems like he has studied the Hart/Hogan turns (especially how Hart managed to keep the boos going in 97).

You don't often get a situation where a feud has massive heat before a single promo has been cut, and it's even crazier because of who the heel is. Also, the smarks are actually behind the face, even though they love the heel. Also, New Day and Enlightened Bryan are entertaining television for casuals (based on a sample size of 1 vegan non-wrestling fan roommate who loves them both).

This feud is loaded with potential. Only time will tell if it ends with Kevin Nash vs. Triple H at Summerslam.

And all I could think of was the 12 EC with it coming down to Bryan vs Santino.

Unfortunately, I think it's just going to end as another Cesaro Section.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #8005
RainMaker
General Manager

This would sound crazy a year ago but they should do Kofi-Bryan at Wrestlemania. Can't remember the last time the crowd got behind someone like Kofi in forever (besides Becky). He's been a great wrestler for over a decade and this would be an amazing moment for his career. He can lose the belt at the next PPV.

They will put on an amazing match too. It'll be fresh. Crowd will be jacked up. Just don't see a lot of downside here. I know Kofi isn't considered main event talent, but the women are going on last and the Universal Title will be higher up on the card.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:50 PM   #8006
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I can't help but think the sudden Kofi push can only mean one thing: his contract expiration must be getting close.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #8007
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I just don't understand how the WWE just suddenly turns on the switch for some wrestlers. Kofi Kingston this past 2 weeks. Then it was exactly like Jinder Mahal when they made him the champ ... he was a complete jobber for years, and then all of a sudden they say wait a second, we need to sell a PPV next week, forget about all we've shown you for the past 2 years, Jinder is actually a great wrestler!

Kofi is really good, but he has been flinging pancakes around for so long, and telling stupid jokes that it is difficult to take him seriously. They are going to have to put in some work to make it believable beyond the 1-2 week shock value which we are in right now.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:17 PM   #8008
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I can't help but think the sudden Kofi push can only mean one thing: his contract expiration must be getting close.

I don't think Kofi is a guy that would jump. He mentioned that he was going to retire until the New Day stuff took off. Probably has made a lot of money over the years, especially with how well New Day merchandise sells.

It seems his push has been luck. Ali had to miss the chamber at the last minute and Kofi got thrown in. Fans kind of took it from there. I think it helps that he's the only face that has been able to get Daniel Bryan heel heat.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #8009
RainMaker
General Manager

Also I don't think Kofi is the kind of guy who would sell tickets in another promotion. A nice guy to book for a show, but not a game changer. WWE should be far more concerned with losing someone like Ambrose who given some creative freedom can really be interesting.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #8010
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't think Kofi is a guy that would jump. He mentioned that he was going to retire until the New Day stuff took off. Probably has made a lot of money over the years, especially with how well New Day merchandise sells.

Oh I'm largely kidding, you're absolutely right. But that does seem to be the surest way to get a sudden push these days.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:05 AM   #8011
miami_fan
Coordinator

If interested, I just got a YouTube alert that Wrestlemania 34 is streaming for free right now.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:18 PM   #8012
RainMaker
General Manager

Am I the only one who doesn't get the Matt Riddle hype? I'm sure he's a fine wrestler but what's the big deal? His gimmick does nothing for me.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:55 PM   #8013
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Am I the only one who doesn't get the Matt Riddle hype? I'm sure he's a fine wrestler but what's the big deal? His gimmick does nothing for me.

I like Riddle. He has charisma, and he's different. Also has that believability since he was an actual fighter in the UFC. Seems like a good combination to me!
Old 02-24-2019, 09:42 PM   #8014
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

In person he's pretty good. Reasonably so anyway.

I felt like he lacks much of the "big" natural charisma - not physical size but rather "presence" - that I associate with wrestlers so he's working a gimmick (or playing his actual self?shrug) that gives him an alternative to that.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:47 AM   #8015
RainMaker
General Manager

I think he's fine from what I've seen. The "bro" gimmick just doesn't do much for me. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:54 AM   #8016
molson
General Manager

Talking about weed all the time automatically increases your popularity 50% with a particular large segment of fans. That's not all he is, but, it helps him stand out.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #8017
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Flair's 70th bday celebration (from the weekend) will apparently continue tonight on Raw.

Backstage this afternoon are Flair, Sting, and HBK. With Rock in town (filming the Jumanji sequel) but not yet in the building.

Ya know, that's not the most legacy star power ever assembled, but it ain't a bad bunch on that score.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:18 PM   #8018
miami_fan
Coordinator

Having a Legends Match every Wrestlemania is now a real thing and not a joke?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #8019
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Washing Machine Goes With Every Wrestling Theme - YouTube
Old 02-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #8020
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Ok that was way more entertaining than I anticipated.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #8021
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok that was way more entertaining than I anticipated.

Pretty much my reaction as well. Had a great deal of "okay, what's next?" going for it.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #8022
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Wow, Rousey and Lynch throwing shots
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:31 PM   #8023
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:12 PM   #8024
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Wow, Rousey and Lynch throwing shots

I saw a bit of that on Twitter today I think

Forbes described it "As of this writing, the most recent tweet is a short-but-threatening message from Rousey, who warned Lynch that she will beat the living [expletive] out of her the next time they come face to face regardless of "what the script says."

That came after Lynch put Rousey's husband face over a phallic symbol as things ramped up.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:13 PM   #8025
molson
General Manager

Rousey channeling Vince Russo and its cringey as fuck.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:17 PM   #8026
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I will say that catching up on the whole deal after someone RT'ed some of it was probably more interested than I've been in the whole Lynchmania frenzy.

I've always thought she was a fine enough worker but the recent gushing about her has had me scratching my head the entire time.

And her fans better hope this is all a work, cause she'll go from new hotness to jobbing to Ralphus very quickly if she's legit crossing RR who I firmly believe McMahon et al see as their next meal ticket.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-28-2019 at 08:17 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:01 PM   #8027
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Rousey channeling Vince Russo and its cringey as fuck.
Yeah, people seem to be liking this but it's not good. There's no cheaper way to get your angle over than with "everything else is fake but this is totally real".
Old 02-28-2019, 09:09 PM   #8028
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Yeah, people seem to be liking this but it's not good. There's no cheaper way to get your angle over than with "everything else is fake but this is totally real".

One take I saw was that this was basically supposed to be Rock v Cena mic battle, using real elements of tension in their promos.

Problem being that these two are not Rock or Cena on the mic.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:23 PM   #8029
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

And Becky actually tweeted back that Ronda went "full Russo", which is, itself, the very most Russo thing a pro wrestler can do.

I think it's cool that a WWE woman has gotten as over as Becky has, but I don't like this version of her character at all. I think her, Ronda, and Charlotte are all kind of terrible in their promos. Ronda always seems like she's just pretending, Charlotte emphasizes random words in her promos that aren't supposed to be emphasized, and Becky feels like she's trying too hard. They all have presence, they're all very good in the ring, but none come across naturally to me.

Last edited by molson : 02-28-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:36 PM   #8030
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I thought it was all an obvious work.
A Biechoff esque attempt to blur the lines of reality.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:45 PM   #8031
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
And her fans better hope this is all a work, cause she'll go from new hotness to jobbing to Ralphus very quickly if she's legit crossing RR who I firmly believe McMahon et al see as their next meal ticket.

I was under the impression that Rousey might be done after Mania. From what I've read, she hates the travel and wants to have kids.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:18 PM   #8032
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was under the impression that Rousey might be done after Mania. From what I've read, she hates the travel and wants to have kids.

I've seen nothing more seriously suggested than that she'll take a year off.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:25 PM   #8033
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I've seen nothing more seriously suggested than that she'll take a year off.

She has no stamina. She became a star in MMA, and as soon as she lost a few matches, she was gone. Now the same thing seems to be happening in the WWE.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:22 AM   #8034
miami_fan
Coordinator

RIP

King Kong Bundy passes away | WWE
Old 03-05-2019, 12:23 PM   #8035
RainMaker
General Manager

Only 61? I thought he was much older. RIP
Old 03-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #8036
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Only 61? I thought he was much older. RIP

Ya, he started really young and had his big run with Hogan in his 20s. Even though he looked 40 then.

He started his career as a fat jobber with hair in his early 20s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR7CdfVcNSk&t=1382s

Last edited by molson : 03-05-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #8037
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

WWE has some of the worst luck ... reports now that Ciampa will undergo neck surgery in the next few days and be out for an extended period.

Just ... damn
Old 03-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #8038
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
WWE has some of the worst luck ... reports now that Ciampa will undergo neck surgery in the next few days and be out for an extended period.

Just ... damn

Terrible news. His run over the past year has been great. Just a perfect heel character. The Takeover match with Gargano was going to be the culmination of a 3 year story.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:48 AM   #8039
RainMaker
General Manager

I wonder when he hurt it or if it is just a cumulative injury. His recent match with Black was great.

NXT TakeOver: Phoenix: Tommaso Ciampa vs Aleister Black - NXT Championship - Video Dailymotion
Old 03-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #8040
miami_fan
Coordinator

Wrestlemania is coming to Tampa in 2020. As the father of a wrestling obsessed 11 year old, this is probably the best case scenario. I am looking information/advice from anyone who has gone to Wrestlemania recently. I am pretty sure we will be avoiding the HOF ceremony. I don’t think that will peak his interest at all.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #8041
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Rest in peace.

THE DESTROYER, DICK BEYER PASSES AWAY | PWInsider.com
Old 03-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #8042
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Wrestlemania is coming to Tampa in 2020. As the father of a wrestling obsessed 11 year old, this is probably the best case scenario. I am looking information/advice from anyone who has gone to Wrestlemania recently. I am pretty sure we will be avoiding the HOF ceremony. I don’t think that will peak his interest at all.

I did 32? (Dallas) with a 6 year old. We didn't do NXT or HOF (watched at a friends house in Dallas) but went to Rangers-Indians game the day before Mania. Went to the fan-expo Friday before Mania but didn't have tickets for all the other stuff or signings. More of just roaming around and getting in the shopping early.

Nothing will prepare you for how long the actual Mania is. I think we arrived too early and left in the middle of the main event (which was at 11:30 I think). Think that was the year USA network had 2 hours of pre-show so the action started at 3 PM and probably would have ended at midnight. We still had to take a break to the gift kiosk to just stretch our legs.

You may want to check out all the other shows in the area which seems to be getting more popular now for other associations the entire week before Mania.
I'm sure someone like ROH or AWE will be doing something to get some attention there.

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 03-07-2019 at 04:06 PM.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #8043
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
I did 32? (Dallas) with a 6 year old. We didn't do NXT or HOF (watched at a friends house in Dallas) but went to Rangers-Indians game the day before Mania. Went to the fan-expo Friday before Mania but didn't have tickets for all the other stuff or signings. More of just roaming around and getting in the shopping early.

Nothing will prepare you for how long the actual Mania is. I think we arrived too early and left in the middle of the main event (which was at 11:30 I think). Think that was the year USA network had 2 hours of pre-show so the action started at 3 PM and probably would have ended at midnight. We still had to take a break to the gift kiosk to just stretch our legs.

You may want to check out all the other shows in the area which seems to be getting more popular now for other associations the entire week before Mania.
I'm sure someone like ROH or AWE will be doing something to get some attention there.

Thanks for the info. The length of the day is what I am dreading personally. We "watched" last year's event together. Translation: He watched every second while I sat in for a couple then jumped on my laptop for a bit

Oh well I got about a year to figure all this out
Old 03-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #8044
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And just announced for night two of Joey Janela's Spring Break ... the Rock 'n Roll Express versus ... LAX.

What a time we live in.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:43 PM   #8045
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Through two nights of New Japan Cup things just feel ... weird.
It honestly feels like it's been booked by someone other than Gedo.

I don't even mean that in a good or bad way especially, just completely different.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:45 PM   #8046
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Says just about everything for the state of my wrestling fandom that I'm significantly more interested in watching night three of the New Japan Cup - where I've already been spoilered on the winners - than I was for anything on Fastlane where I didn't know for sure the outcomes.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #8047
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Says just about everything for the state of my wrestling fandom that I'm significantly more interested in watching night three of the New Japan Cup - where I've already been spoilered on the winners - than I was for anything on Fastlane where I didn't know for sure the outcomes.

The storylines in NJPW either mean something for this current story, or are building to another larger story.

In the WWE, it's "okay we need to fill segments, whadya got?" and it's rarely planned out more than a week in advance, because the big boss rewrites things so often. It makes the writers stop thinking beyond the now, because it is futile and wasted planning time.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:04 PM   #8048
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

the PPV last night was just wretched
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #8049
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
the PPV last night was just wretched

I'm largely in agreement with you ... which is what makes it seem so odd that the IWC seems more split than usual about it.

I've seen a lot of dog turd polish used on the show, noticeably more than usual.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:08 AM   #8050
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Your winners, and newwwwwwwww AAA tag team champions ...
The Young Bucks

Kid happened to flip over to Twitch for the Rey de Reyes main event and caught the post-match angle turned title change.

Obviously the formal announcement of the working relationship between AAA & AEW was sealed with a pretty big kiss.