Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

FOFC Lego Thread

I haven't noticed a Lego thread here so I thought I'd start one. Sure, most of the board is in the 25-49 demographic, but, of course, that's not too old for Legos as I don't believe there's too old an age for Legos

Last week, my wife and I went on a "date" and one of the places we ended up was the Lego store. First, we hit up the Lego build-a-minifigure stand and spent about 30 minutes constructing 4 Lego Village People to spell out YMCA (and took 3 of them home for $10). Hey, we can't all have wild crazy nights out.

We also picked up these:
Amazon.com: Lego Creator Mini Fire Rescue 6911: Toys & Games
Amazon.com: Lego Creator 5762 Mini Plane: Toys & Games
Considering they cost $6, these are great sets. I have a couple of other ones and they're in the 50-100 piece range and make 3 different things. These are definitely quality packs for a quick build.

Also, one thing that is really bugging me right now is how much Lego Star Wars minifigures cost. I really want some Lego Storm Troopers among others and they're in the $7-$10+ range, depending on the figure. Anyone know a cheap place to get Lego Mini figures?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Rizon
Pro Starter

Sad. I just sold my entire Lego collection last summer in a garage sale. I had 2 huge bins. I was/am bummed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

I had most of the medieval and pirates set and some of the city set back in the late 80's, early 90's. I love them still but havent done aything with them in probably 12 years
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Grover
Pro Starter

This is merely the tip of my ice berg.

Had to move back in with my parents after getting laid off last year, so I don't have the room to display things as I'd like...

IMG_1785.JPG

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I have a bunch of sets still at my parents but I don't know what they are. I'll be moving within the year and hopefully getting a house so I can set them up properly.

SI

Old 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
PilotMan
Head Coach

I never got any legos as a kid. But my kids have been addicted to them for years. They may be expensive but one thing I have found, is that even bulk legos really hold their value. Those things will still be expensive 20 years from now.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My 8 year old is really into the new Lego Friends series which is aimed towards girls. Pretty neat idea that they finally released something specifically aimed towards them. The figures are different than classic Lego, these ones actually have a defined face.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My brother and I were into Legos big-time growing up, and my parents kept all of our Legos in several huge tubs. My first daughter didn't show an interest, but our youngest is a Lego fanatic. When she was about 4, we pulled all of our old Legos out during a Thanksgiving trip to my parents' house, washed them, and packaged them up for our parents to send to us.

I remember that Christmas building a bunch of old stuff for her. There is one website in particular I used to go to that had every instruction booklet for every set Lego issued. I ended up building her the large castle from the late-80s kingdom collection - entirely by searching through thousands and thousands of Legos to find each piece.

From there, we've bought her more Legos than she can play with, honestly. I enjoy putting them together with her. I haven't bought anything for myself, though I'll admit that some of the more "grown up" sets do look pretty cool.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-20-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Highlight of my Christmas was playing with the Legos with my 4 year old nephew.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I had the Lego Millennium Falcon on display at one of my houses during college... when I was going to move I dropped it and watched it in slow motion as it hit the ground and went into hundreds of pieces. I was very upset. Haven't put it together since, not sure if I still have it even.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
Ksyrup

Every time we get one of those catalogs in the mail, I hear the same question:

"Can I get the Death Star?"

Um...no. $400 worth of no.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Same with the Executor. Man, that would be fun to own. But not $400 worth of fun.

SI

Old 02-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
spleen1015
Coordinator

15 years ago, I would have bought them both. Not that I'm older, I can't do it.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
Ksyrup

Have you ever messed with that program online that lets you design something and then buy all the pieces to make it? I did, just for a little bit. You could purchase a small country with what it costs to design and build a custom Lego house.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-20-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think it's fascinating when the Lego people back a property that bombs. Prince of Persia, for example, had to be a historic failure for them. Those sets were all over the place and on sale.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
Ksyrup

The other problem with the PoP stuff was how similar it was to the castle stuff. They threw in a few camels and dome-topped buildings, changed the colors, and you had a whole new set.

Same thing with the forest stuff they just introduced. They basically took the old police set, added some trees, a bear, and some wooden-type pieces, and you've got a forest ranger set.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #17
frnk55
High School Varsity

Always wanted to get into Legos but just never had. It would be cool to have some Star Wars stuff.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #18
CarterNMA
Mascot

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Also, one thing that is really bugging me right now is how much Lego Star Wars minifigures cost. I really want some Lego Storm Troopers among others and they're in the $7-$10+ range, depending on the figure. Anyone know a cheap place to get Lego Mini figures?

SI

EDIT: Wrong website! Yikes!

SI,

You're best bet is joining BrickLink - Unofficial LEGO® Marketplace. There you can buy individual pieces, full sets, minifigs, instructions, etc. I've spent way too much money there but I have a serious collection nowadays.

I grew up on LEGO but sold them during my senior year in HS. Then when the Star Wars sets came out in 1999 I went hog wild for two years. But then they fell by the wayside for my 2001 - 2007 every day addiction to FOF/TCY. :-) But late 2008 I was giving them away to the son of a friend whenever I came across them in storage. But that came to a screeching halt when I discovered www.brickarms.com, a excellent site for LEGO minifig-sized firearms and other weaponry.

Now I have a massive collection, probably 200 sets and probably well over 1500 minifigs. I've also joined the Adult Fan Of LEGO (AFOL) community. It's a wonderful way to spend time letting my worries of the day slip away.

CarterNMA

Last edited by CarterNMA : 02-20-2012 at 07:55 PM.
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, let's say I have an older R2D2 and C3P0 from 8092 and I'm looking to get one of the $20 sets below because I have a coupon for $5 off. Which would you go with:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=9491-1
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=9490-1

Those Genosians look amazing and the set looks better. However, I like the idea of pair of Sand Troopers and the new C3P0 looks like a marginal improvement (R2D2s grow on trees) and it's original series vs new stuff.

SI

Old 02-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #20
ColtCrazy
College Starter

My 8 year old son and I collect Legos. Happy to see this thread here. We have a decent collection. Some we've lucked into (my mom got a bunch of the original Harry Potter legos at a yard sale for next to nothing...some I hear are quite valuable) and others we've bought.

It all started when I was cleaning out one of my parents sheds and found my old legos, the Castle sets from the 80s. Since then, I've bought several newer castle sets. My son has an odd assortment of Batman and Ninjago Legos. We collect the mini figures as well and have some Star Wars ones.

The last one we bought is the Y-Wing fighter. It was 30% off at Toys R Us so we got it. Very good to build and looks sharp. Definitely going after some of the Star Wars ones that just came out, primarily the X-wing and Tie Fighter. My goal this summer is to save enough back from my job in England to get the Lego Death Star.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #21
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I've sadly bought about $600 worth of Star Wars legos for my 3 year old (just turned 3 this week). Now if he would just hurry up and hit about age 6 or 7 so we can tear into them.

As for the Death Star discussion, my wife and I have that talk every time the catalog comes and I keep being told that he doesn't need it. I really think he does but, as with most things in marriage, I'm apparently wrong.

He is loving the Ninjago show though so I may have to pick up one or two sets to break him in.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #22
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I think at one time I had around 400 lbs of legos in tubs. I've whittled that down to around maybe 150 lbs. Although I think I have around 40 unopened sets in storage.

If I had the time I'd really like to do some custom stuff.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 02-21-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:52 AM   #23
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

After doing some homework, I've decided to augment my Star Wars minifigs collection for fairly inexpensively this week. The Battle Packs are evil: basically, you get 4 minifigs- usually all a little different- and maybe 50~100 pieces for $10-$12. Pretty good value for minifigs only and they're quite well detailed.

Walmart.com: LEGO Star Wars Luke's Landspeeder & LEGO Star Wars Snow Trooper Army Pack Bundle: Building Blocks & Sets
$29 for 8092 Luke's Landspeeder (Luke, Obi Wan, R2D2, C3P0, Stormtrooper) and 8084 Snowtrooper Battle Pack (4 Snow Troopers)

Amazon.com: LEGO Star Wars Clone Trooper Battle Pack 7913: Toys & Games
$12 for 7913 Clone Trooper Battle Pack (4 Clone Troopers)
Amazon.com: LEGO Star Wars Mandalorian Battle Pack 7914: Toys & Games
$12 for 7914 Mandalorian Battle Pack (4 Mandalorians)
Amazon.com: LEGO Star Wars Rebel Trooper Battle Pack (8083): Toys & Games
$12 for 8083 Rebel Trooper Battle Pack (4 Snow Rebels)
Amazon.com: LEGO Star Wars Elite Clone Trooper and Commando Droid B 9488: Toys & Games
$12 for 9488 Elite Lego Clone Trooper and Droid (2 Clone Troops, 2 Droids)
Amazon.com: LEGO Star Wars Endor Rebel Trooper and Imperial Trooper 9489: Toys & Games
$12 for 9489 Endor Rebel Trooper and Imperial Trooper Battle Pack (2 Endor Rebels, 2 Storm Troopers)

And then one of the following that I linked to above as Target has a $5 off any $19.99 or up Star Wars set and it doesn't exclude Legos:
Amazon.com: LEGO Star Wars Droid Escape 9490: Toys & Games
Droid Escape: Pod plus R2D2, C3P0, 2 Sand Troopers
OR
Amazon.com: LEGO Star Wars Geonosian Cannon 9491: Toys & Games
Genosian Cannon: 2 Genosians, Rebel Commander, and Barriss Offee (who?)
I think I'm leaning towards the second one as the first set already has R2 and C3P0 and those are the biggest draws to the Droid Escape.

I'll bleed these in over the next couple of months as it's about $100 for over 30 minifigs and a lot of little sets that can be nicely set up in battle scenes

There are also 4 older Battle Packs but they're going for $20+ on ebay/Amazon so I guess I probably won't get them unless I see an outlier in price:
7654 Droids Battle Pack
7655 Clone Troopers Battle Pack
8014 Clone Walker Battle Pack
8015 Assassin Droids Battle Pack
The Assassin Droids can be had for retail but that's because they're not true minifigs and not nearly as interesting

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-21-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #24
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Since someone mentioned the lego breaking and not having put it back together, I have a similar story. Just before the summer of 2010, my son started getting into Legos and received several Indiana Jones sets for his birthday from relatives. We built them, then put them in gallon baggies to store them so they wouldn't get mixed up. That summer, my wife's sister got a divorce and my sister-in-law started randomly dropping her kids off at our place for days on end so she could run around with her new chew toy. Needless to say her spawn, who are both older than my son, got into the legos, totally destroyed them, then dumped them all back into one big bin. Not only are the 3 Indiana Jones sets all mixed up but also the Harry Potter ones. 7 sets in all, in one confusing heap in a bin. Ugh. I haven't had the heart, or the time, to sort through them all since. I will eventually because I actually like the Indiana Jones sets.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #25
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Just saw on brickset that Lego will be releasing some Lord of the Rings sets this summer. Very excited about this.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #26
Grover
Pro Starter

Since we're in a Lego thread...

The Brick Testament

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #27
booradley
High School Varsity

So, this is freaky ... I haven't played with Legos since childhood, yet just 2 days ago I became intrigued with using pictures of little Lego men as player photos in my OOTP league. I haven't yet, because I didn't want to be the only adult in world history to be caught playing with Legos. Then THIS thread shows up ... WTF?? I'm ... I'm not alone?
booradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #28
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm still blaming this thread on the fact that my wife and I basically went on a Lego date two weekends ago

SI

Old 02-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #29
Ksyrup

This is pretty cool:

Reading, writing, arithmetic and robots?

Handmade Lego robots are stimulating learning in Lexington school children

Lexington, KY - Second-, fourth- and fifth-grade students were so eager to join the new after-school club at Lexington's Glendover Elementary School that they lined up early, "like shoppers outside Wal-Mart on Black Friday," one teacher observed.

What could possibly stimulate students to be so enthusiastic about extending their education to after-school hours? Robots.

It may seem more like play than schoolwork, but there are valuable lessons being soaked up — designing, building, testing, teamwork, and problem solving, as well as math and computer skills.

The Glendover students are excited about WeDo Robotics, created by Lego Education, building everything from cars to animals to cranes to soccer players and then put them into motion.

"I've seen kids that have really come out of their shell and blossomed. It's amazing to see what building and working together can do for students," said Jan Lane, a first- and second-grade teacher at Glendover and a club monitor.

If a student wants a robot to travel ten feet, turn right and travel ten more feet into a big square and return to the starting position, first it must be programmed on the computer.

"There is software for it with all of the commands. Once they get everything tested and approved by me, they can move to the next task," Said Young Do Lee, a fourth- and fifth-grade teacher at Glendover.

Students use a USB cable to send the commands they selected from the computer to their robots. "If the robot isn't doing what they thought it would, they think about it, look at the software programming, make adjustments and go back and run it," said Lee.

Lane has noticed something a bit disturbing about today's students. She hopes the robotics club can help address it.

"I've noticed in the classroom in the last few years that kids are not solving problems. We as parents, and everybody else, are giving them the solutions. They aren't working together in teams. But in this club, if something doesn't work, then somewhere along the line, they didn't do something right in the programming or building, so they have to go back and figure it out."

Robots and children's learning is at the heart of a study done by the research company Lattitude. The study, titled "Robots @ School," focuses on how robots are helping to reveal a shift in kids' social and learning psychologies and the overlap between learning and play.

"Education and learning are moving — at least in many children's eyes — beyond acts of knowledge transmission toward acts of exploration and creation," explained Steve Mushkin, founder and president of Lattitude. Mushkin said robots and other intelligent technologies can unleash the expansive capabilities in children.

Another interesting observation from the study was that many children, unlike adults, tend to think of robots and technology as fundamentally human. Two-thirds of the kids in the study took for granted that robots could make excellent human friends.

Back at the Glendover Robotics Club, enthusiasm is high in kids from all backgrounds.

"You've got a good mix of kids — Hispanics, Asians and Caucasians. They all show a high interest and desire to learn," said teacher Lee. "If I had taught math lessons on degrees with other manipulatives, it might have been received differently. Add robots, and they're extremely excited."

Robotics activities are also being explored in Fayette County middle and high schools.

At the college level, students at various Kentucky universities are training in robotics to become the next generation of industrial engineers.

"We look at industrial robotics and how they can be applied to industrial processes or production lines," said Sam Mason, instructor of design manufacturing at Morehead State University. Mason teaches courses in the manufacturing processes on an industrial level.

"For manufacturing to stay competitive, robots bring an element of quality because products have to be 100 percent better than they are now," Mason said.

Some of the MSU students became interested in robots in high school. All want a strong future. "They want a job and to acquire the skill set to be competitive in this field," said Mason. "Manufacturing uses a lot of robotics, and so having that knowledge is the key to having a successful career."

Industrial robots perform a wide range of functions under the direction of a computer. One estimate pegs the number of robots in the world at a quarter million. Japan uses most of them. The United States is second.

Automobile plants immediately come to mind when it comes to robots. Toyota, Ford and GM use them at their assembly plants in Kentucky. They weld, paint, drill, sand, cut, move and install parts.

Robots are especially valuable in environments that are unsafe or physically difficult for humans. Robots can clean up radioactive areas, extinguish fires, disarm bombs, load and unload explosives and toxic chemicals and work underwater. SWAT teams use them in hostage situations. Our military uses unmanned drones to spy on or bomb enemy targets.

For future robotics experts, it all starts with basic curiosity and a fundamental understanding of how the machines function — both of which can be sparked in an elementary school classroom with a simple pile of Legos.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #30
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I've got a friend who is a high school physics/engineering teacher and she routinely uses the Lego robot systems, plus its accompanying programming language, in projects with her classes.

/tk
Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #31
Autumn
Head Coach

My kids are doing a Lego robotics class too through our homeschool group. They're pretty common around here. When I was in Vermont the university sent engineering students out to schools to do some Lego robotics stuff with them.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #32
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Our fifth grade has it's own little account that we can use for school supplies. The other teacher has seniority on me and I've always deferred to her, but with so much budget cuts I've finally convinced her that we should spend the money we've been sitting on because I could see our account going away soon. We will be splitting the money and choosing various projects we'd like to spend it on. Naturally, I'm thinking Legos.

Now, I'm not exactly sure what my cut will be. I imagine it'll be in the $400-600 range. Not nearly enough to buy even one robotic kit, but it will be just enough to buy individual kits for each of the kids in my class. The kits would be a standard Lego kit, 400 pieces with a grass support board and a couple of figures. I've done some research and there are a ton of lesson plans and ideas out there that don't involve the robotic element at all. Plus, I'm hoping if I could put together a nice run, I might get a local company to sponsor a couple of robotic kits and slowly build up from there. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I can really see my class getting a lot just out of the chance to work with Legos. I'm already thinking of some great math & problem solving ideas with them.

On a completely side note, the local Wal-Mart had all the series 6 mini figures on clearance for $1. My dad ended up buying my son some and I ended up getting some. Have 2 complete sets now and somehow ended up with about 8 of the British Royal Soldier one. Pretty cool.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Dang it- I love the British Royal soldier- I've been considering getting one on ebay. But I don't have a WalMart minifig clearance

EDIT: Or do I? Sounds like it's time to check out a couple of other WalMarts around town tomorrow after work

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-23-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #34
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Dang it- I love the British Royal soldier- I've been considering getting one on ebay. But I don't have a WalMart minifig clearance

EDIT: Or do I? Sounds like it's time to check out a couple of other WalMarts around town tomorrow after work

SI

I'm guessing our Walmart got these minifies by mistake. They've never had any of the previous series and then suddenly they had 6 boxes of series six before Christmas. The British Royal Soldier is my favorite in this set too. Also got 3 of the Dwarf one, which will look good with the upcoming Lord of the Rings sets.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #35
DougW
High School Varsity

Has anyone been to legland ? I was never into legos myself, but I married a girl that had a 10 year old that was into them. We went on our honeymoon in cali, took a week for ourselves, and had him flown in to spend a week with us to do the disney/universal thing. Well I found out there was a legoland nearby, and added that to the agenda. Like I said, I'm not a lego guy at all, but that place was impressive. It had like a jungle with lifesize animals made out of legos, city skylines, just a lot of pretty impressive stuff. Even for not "a fan".
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #36
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Because of this thread I went out and bought the Imperial Shuttle kit. A few other really big sets caught my eye while I was in the store, so we'll see if finishing this one leads to buying another... Wanted the Super Star Destroyer, but it's too big. Where will I put a 4' model? Looked at the Death Star, but I'm more about assembly and show and that kit looks more slanted to actual play.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #37
Ksyrup

This is the one that caught my eye:

Tower Bridge* | LEGO Shop
Old 02-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #38
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Has anyone been to legland ? I was never into legos myself, but I married a girl that had a 10 year old that was into them. We went on our honeymoon in cali, took a week for ourselves, and had him flown in to spend a week with us to do the disney/universal thing. Well I found out there was a legoland nearby, and added that to the agenda. Like I said, I'm not a lego guy at all, but that place was impressive. It had like a jungle with lifesize animals made out of legos, city skylines, just a lot of pretty impressive stuff. Even for not "a fan".

I've been to Legoland Winsor, it's only 10 miles from the school I work at there. It's my favorite park by far. They don't have the great coasters that most amusement parks do, the rides are more suited for the up to 10 crowd, but for a family experience....along with the impressive Miniland, it's a fun day out. Heard they are planning one in Florida.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #39
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Saw a completed one built at the Lego shop in Indy. Just in display value, I thought it was more impressive than the Death Star. It looks very detailed, even from a distance. The only knock I've heard on it is that the two towers are identical builds. Still not sure about this one or the Death Star, but this is considerably cheaper and would display well in my classroom.

Heard this year's large set is the British Sopwith Camel WWI plane.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #40
Ksyrup

Yeah, I could see the two towers being a bit duplicative. A lot of those more advanced downtown buildings/shops they have look pretty cool. And so does the carousel.

Given my daughter's love of castles and horses, I suppose we'll be getting that jousting set relatively soon.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #41
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I could see the two towers being a bit duplicative. A lot of those more advanced downtown buildings/shops they have look pretty cool. And so does the carousel.

Given my daughter's love of castles and horses, I suppose we'll be getting that jousting set relatively soon.

Yeah, that one does look pretty good. The Medieval Village set is probably my favorite Castle series set so far, but this one has great potential.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #42
Ksyrup

I've always wanted [her] to get the Medieval Village one. One time we were in a Lego store and she was ready to get it, then changed her mind at the last moment. I had to let it go, but I almost tried to talk her into it.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #43
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Saw a completed one built at the Lego shop in Indy. Just in display value, I thought it was more impressive than the Death Star. It looks very detailed, even from a distance. The only knock I've heard on it is that the two towers are identical builds. Still not sure about this one or the Death Star, but this is considerably cheaper and would display well in my classroom.

Heard this year's large set is the British Sopwith Camel WWI plane.

You know what- I think I'm going to head up to the Lego store tonight to check that out. Didn't know they had it set up there

SI

Old 02-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #44
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:

That might be the one I tackle next. It looks very impressive up close...
Old 02-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #45
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Haha. I ended up having to request mine (the medieval village) for my birthday as a present from the kids. They were excited to buy me a Lego. It's a great set to display or for them to play with.

Last edited by ColtCrazy : 02-24-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #46
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks to this thread I think I'll be going to the Lego store this weekend.

Thanks to another podcast, I think I'll also be going to the yarn store.

I sense productivity in my future...

/tk
Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #47
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Anyone every been to a Brickworld Convention? Just stumbled on a link that says there's one in Indy on March 10.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #48
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Anyone every been to a Brickworld Convention? Just stumbled on a link that says there's one in Indy on March 10.

Not familiar but I guess that could speak to that weekend for me. Watch a couple of Big Ten tourney games on, say, Thursday night and then hit up Legos on Saturday.

I spent part of my night feeling up Legos at Castleton. No... not horrible like that sounded. But myself and a couple of the employees at the Lego store helped me find a couple of the Series 6 Minifigs that I was looking for. Between my couple of stops tonight, I picked up a Lady Liberty, Leprechaun, Genie, and 2 Skateboard Girls (oops)- wanted a Robot but we couldn't find it after going through the 50ish packs in the store. With the Skateboard ones, I was at Toys R Us and just couldn't identify by feel- didn't mean to get 2 of them. I also thought I had a Royal Guard from Series 5 but it was the Eskimo instead. Still, that one's pretty cool so I'm not too heartbroken about it.

SI

Old 02-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #49
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Not familiar but I guess that could speak to that weekend for me. Watch a couple of Big Ten tourney games on, say, Thursday night and then hit up Legos on Saturday.

I spent part of my night feeling up Legos at Castleton. No... not horrible like that sounded. But myself and a couple of the employees at the Lego store helped me find a couple of the Series 6 Minifigs that I was looking for. Between my couple of stops tonight, I picked up a Lady Liberty, Leprechaun, Genie, and 2 Skateboard Girls (oops)- wanted a Robot but we couldn't find it after going through the 50ish packs in the store. With the Skateboard ones, I was at Toys R Us and just couldn't identify by feel- didn't mean to get 2 of them. I also thought I had a Royal Guard from Series 5 but it was the Eskimo instead. Still, that one's pretty cool so I'm not too heartbroken about it.

SI
Series 6 is the first series where I really like all the characters. Even the token pink girl one is at least a fairly neat space one. I've got about 7 so far, including Liberty, the Minotaur, the Highlander, and the Leprechaun. The only I really want is the roman soldier. Would like to actually get several of those because an army of those would look impressive.

If you need a Royal Guard, you are welcome to PM me your addy. With that $1 sale, I ended up feeling about 8 of them. I have my army, so one MIA solider isn't a big deal. I can toss one in the mail for you. It would be open, if you don't mind that.

Did you happen to see the Jousting set at Castleton? Making that my one last "must buy" before I start saving up for the Lord of the Rings sets this summer.

I spent the end of last night just looking up pictures of past Brickworlds. My wife (who isn't a Lego person) and I were both blown away by the Helm's Deep layout we saw. Easily 6 foot tall and just as wide. Really neat.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #50
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I didn't see the Joust set at Castleton but I did see it online. Someone bought a Grand Emporium when I was there checking through minifigures.

As for the Royal Guard- I appreciate the offer. How about this? I'm going to make another go at Toys R Us this week or next and try to get another (as well as the Robot from Series 6). If I don't have any luck, we can meet up at Brickworld and I'll trade my extra Skater girl for it, if you want.

As for open or not- I like having the box and instructions for sets, but Legos are meant to be played with, not kept sealed in a box

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-25-2012 at 10:46 AM.