Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #251
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
At this point I would be all in for lowering the pitchers mound and enforcing rules for placing substance on the ball with a hefty fine and lengthy suspension.

Todays game of K, K, W, K HR, K is about as enjoyable as test cricket, when it should be trying to emulate T20 cricket.

So you advocate fucking with pitchers further so that we can have
K,HR, K, W, K, HR, K instead?

The issue isn't the mound or the ball, the issue are hitters that close their eyes and swing hard on the off chance they make contact.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:03 PM   #252
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The issue isn't the mound or the ball, the issue are hitters that close their eyes and swing hard on the off chance they make contact.

Which - to my surprise tbh - is roughly what today's ESPN article says as well

Quote:
"I think when teams start to incentivize and pay players to get on base, steal bases, not strike out, you'll see more players start to do that," Zimmerman said.

How the 'K' became the most destructive letter in Major League Baseball

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-19-2021 at 06:03 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:08 PM   #253
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Turf infields!

That new turf is fantastic. Our HS BB team had their 2nd district game at an all turf baseball field when it rained an inch during the day.

You would never have a rain out again.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

Last edited by tarcone : 05-19-2021 at 06:09 PM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:13 PM   #254
cuervo72
Head Coach

Is it quicker? Because that's what I think would be good to see -- more balls getting through the infield, shift or not.

Also, move back the fences and/or make them higher. If you don't want swinging for the fences, disincentivize swinging for the fences.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:18 PM   #255
JPhillips
General Manager

The problem is that the math shows that this style of offense offers a better chance to win than does a more small ball approach.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:00 PM   #256
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well yes; the trick is to tweak the possible outcomes in a way that changes the math. Find a way to make it twice as difficult to hit HR, teams may try a different approach.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:04 PM   #257
JPhillips
General Manager

Right. It's going to take rule changes, because there's no way to change strategies that lead to a greater chance of winning.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:17 PM   #258
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

They have to do something. Baseball is hard to watch right now. Has been for several years.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:41 PM   #259
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I watch a ton of baseball. Play a lot of DFS and sweat the games.

The thing that drives me the craziest is there is no situational hitting. For example, runner on third, tie game, 1 out, late innings, guys still swing for the fences instead of making contact the other way.

Makes me nuts.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:45 PM   #260
lungs
Pro Rookie

I was a big Russell Branyan fan back in the day. Now the average hitter in MLB is essentially Russell Branyan with less power. I’m less of a fan of the average MLB hitter these days.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:16 PM   #261
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I was a big Russell Branyan fan back in the day. Now the average hitter in MLB is essentially Russell Branyan with less power. I’m less of a fan of the average MLB hitter these days.

Well you know this was gonna make me curious

Branyan career:
.232 / .329 / .485 (OPS+ 113)

MLB 2021 avg:
.232 / .313 / .394 (OPS+ 97)

Damned fine comparison
Old 05-19-2021, 09:36 PM   #262
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Well you know this was gonna make me curious

Branyan career:
.232 / .329 / .485 (OPS+ 113)

MLB 2021 avg:
.232 / .313 / .394 (OPS+ 97)

Damned fine comparison

Thanks, I was too lazy to look up the numbers when this convo came up but I had looked a few weeks back when the thought popped into my head and sure enough....

I loved Branyan as a novelty. A guy that struck out, walked, or hit a massive bomb. Three true outcomes to the core. But when the whole league turns into Russell Branyan, it just makes for less compelling baseball IMO. Batting average may not be the best indicator of player performance but I've come around to the idea that it makes for more entertaining baseball. I'd much rather see the league BA somewhere in the .250-.260 range. How we can achieve that is not something I can answer.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:41 PM   #263
Jas_lov
College Starter

Another day, another no hitter. Corey Kluber just threw one.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:48 PM   #264
JPhillips
General Manager

Adam Dunn would be a much bigger star now.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:13 PM   #265
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
So you advocate fucking with pitchers further so that we can have
K,HR, K, W, K, HR, K instead?

No, I advocate MLB doing something about the blatantly obvious abuse of substances being used that is reflected by the spin rate guys churn out now.

I also would not care if they deadened the ball even more to make hitters be hitters and not HR derby champion wannabes.

I don't really care how they get there, the game is broken now and allowing it to go on as it is now is only going to further turn people off. These are deadball era averages, without the excitement if the ball at least being in play and it is ruining the game.

And why not fuck with pitchers, it's not like they haven't initiated subtle changes in the past to restore balance. A 95 MPH fastball used to be special, not average.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 05-19-2021 at 10:15 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:28 PM   #266
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Another day, another no hitter. Corey Kluber just threw one.

I love pitching and all, but really? Sort of crazy how we're here now after the roid days.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:04 PM   #267
Ksyrup

TB just hit its 13th HR in the last 4 games. Well, 3 games and 2 innings. I expect that's not at all out of the ordinary. HRs and no-hitters. Weeeeee!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-20-2021, 11:35 PM   #268
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I believe this is a result of the rabbit ball era. Dudes that hit HRs gets the love. When they changed the ball this season, they changed the game as it has developed.

Personally, I would love to see baseball go back to the 80s Whitey Ball style.

I agree. Statistically, they're going to look and see the all HR/K batters aren't worth it anymore beyond a certain elite percentage. Then they'll start making adjustments. Look for Nick Madrigal to become more valuable, LOL.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:01 AM   #269
SackAttack
Head Coach

So, yeah, six no hitters this season so far.

But.

The same three teams have each been victimized twice.

Not to say that baseball doesn't have an offense problem, but I think I wanna see the no hitters cluster s little less before I hop on board the "symptom of the illness" train.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:17 AM   #270
Ksyrup

Look at the league-wide batting average stats I posted earlier. If every team averages, say, 4 hits a game, it'd still be a problem even if only a few teams got no-hit.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:17 PM   #271
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This year is really low, but it may just be a small sample size/post Covid year.

2019 the BA was .252. 2018 it was .248. 2017 it was .255 and before that BA has been over .250 for a while.

Those numbers aren't too far off from the BA numbers in the 50s and 60s (and yes, I know they lowered the mound at the end of of the 60s).

Granted the batting average numbers aren't close to they were in the late 90s (.260s, .270s), but let's back up a second.

I'll also note this year is way down on league SLG which you wouldn't expect if this is due to everyone swinging for the fences.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2021, 02:28 PM   #272
Ksyrup

I'd attribute a good chunk of it to the historically highest Ks per 9 innings and lower BABIP than normal. Fewer balls in play, and a lower average on balls in play.

It's definitely early, but the last 2 years of data - even if partial years - are not trending well. The game is still hard to watch regardless of whether the numbers end up on the lower end instead of historically the worst.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #273
JPhillips
General Manager

You can definitely see the game change looking at just basic offensive stats by year. Runs per game is similar to the 80s, but with more Ks and HRs and a lower batting average.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l.../MLB/bat.shtml
Old 05-21-2021, 06:22 PM   #274
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That's exactly the list I used when making my comparison. The 90 and early 2000s (and a bit of the 80s somewhat) are the different numbers when it comes to post war BA (and pre war, they resemble the 1930s). Prior to 2020, BAs were back in the .250s which were 50s, 60s, and 70s numbers.

Btw, one can argue that the reason the 80s-00s saw such increases in BA were the massive rate of expansion and dilution of talent that resulted. One can try to lower the mound as well if you want.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-21-2021 at 07:56 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:07 PM   #275
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

1990 and 1991 had some abnormally high no-hitter numbers and right after that, the ball/players were juiced...

The new steals rules in the minors have jumped stolen base rates so that could be interesting.

But how do we get BABIP up and how do we just get more "BIP"?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-22-2021 at 04:07 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:30 PM   #276
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, if we can get more balls in play, it will reduce pitch counts, get more innings for starters, and less pitching changes.
I'm not really liking where things are going right now. The all or nothing K/HR combo is starting to veer away from batters advantage and definitely moving to pitchers. Batters (or teams) are going to have to make adjustments to maximize their offensive potential.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:49 PM   #277
molson
General Manager

So it's been about a week - has anybody checked in on the Twins on how they're emotionally handling that game where they lost by 12 instead of 11? I know there were a lot of people concerned for their well-being. I just hope someone is reaching out.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:52 AM   #278
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
So it's been about a week - has anybody checked in on the Twins on how they're emotionally handling that game where they lost by 12 instead of 11? I know there were a lot of people concerned for their well-being. I just hope someone is reaching out.

I imagine they're reasonably okay, 3-3 since they were part of the education process for the two-bit punk wearing the White Sox uniform.

He likely knows that if he does something like that again he's liable to find a baseball in his earhole, which is right where it ought to be.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #279
miked
College Starter

Maybe these teams should stop sending out position players to throw 50 MPH pitches...just a thought. If you send out a position player to pitch, all bets are off. These guys get paid on stats and I would say it is more of an affront to see 5 games/week with a position player pitching (I know, an exaggeration, but not by much...there were more position players pitching in April than an entire season 10 years ago). Otherwise, move along boomer.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:28 PM   #280
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Jeff Passan summed it up

Quote:
In the last 20 years, MLB hitters have seen 557 pitches in 3-0 counts with their teams up 10+ runs.

Yermin Mercedes was the first to swing.

Mercedes is either an idiot or a complete p.o.s., or both.
The odds, in 2021, are on both.

It reminds me of the path NASCAR took during their steady decline, combine idiotic rule changes and add completely unlikable competitors, in an attempt to chase a simple minded short attention span audience that is never going to care anyway.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:36 PM   #281
Atocep
Coordinator

I think Mercedes was in the wrong, but throwing position players out there to eat innings because you don't want to waste arms on a game that you feel should be over shouldn't be a thing. If a few players tee off on them and embrass teams put of this trend I'm OK with it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:16 PM   #282
molson
General Manager

Lightbulb

I guess I've just never understood why I'm supposed to be so concerned about the feelings of professional adult athletes. Maybe the teams can all teach them coping mechanisms in spring training, or they can give them special stuffed animals when they lose by too much and are really sad about it.

Last edited by molson : 05-23-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:46 PM   #283
Jas_lov
College Starter

Mercedes actually was hit by a pitch in the ear hole today. Unintentionally and he was fine but both Larussa and Jon had to be smiling.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #284
cuervo72
Head Coach

Given that guys get paid based on numbers, should there be a surprise that guys want to do things...to improve their numbers?
Old 05-23-2021, 08:37 PM   #285
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I guess I've just never understood why I'm supposed to be so concerned about the feelings of professional adult athletes. Maybe the teams can all teach them coping mechanisms in spring training, or they can give them special stuffed animals when they lose by too much and are really sad about it.

LOL for sure! If the teams don't like the humiliation of losing by 10+ runs, then maybe they should play better. It's professional sports and not kids sports.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:55 PM   #286
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

These unwritten rules are stupid. It used to be an unwritten rule that you cant steal bases when you are up 5 runs until it became fine to do. Just use common sense and it will be fine.

If he wants to swing 3-0 against a position player in a 10+ run game how does it effect anyone badly? I am not sure how taking walks in a blowout is any better. I am sure the positional player doesnt care as he isnt paid to be a pitcher. I am sure Rocco didnt care as he is a new school manager and has more important things to worry about than the opposing team tacking on a meaningless run.

I think it was blown entirely out of proportion, however LaRussa needs to have his players backs whether he agrees or not. I think that will be a long term negative effect on the White Sox.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 05-23-2021 at 10:57 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:53 AM   #287
miked
College Starter

Forgot this wasn't even the worst. Acuna tried to bat lefty against a position player with the Braves up 20-1 before his manager vetoed. Perhaps the best way to handle this is to randomly pick fans to bat against the team throwing out their backup IF to pitch down 19 runs. How else do we protect the fragile egos of a team getting killed so bad they toss out garbage to pitch.

By the way, for the purists out there. Last year 35 instances of a position player pitching in a 60 game season was the highest rate ever, breaking the 90 or so the year before. I guess that is not disrespect...
Old 05-24-2021, 09:25 AM   #288
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Forgot this wasn't even the worst. Acuna tried to bat lefty against a position player with the Braves up 20-1 before his manager vetoed. Perhaps the best way to handle this is to randomly pick fans to bat against the team throwing out their backup IF to pitch down 19 runs. How else do we protect the fragile egos of a team getting killed so bad they toss out garbage to pitch.

By the way, for the purists out there. Last year 35 instances of a position player pitching in a 60 game season was the highest rate ever, breaking the 90 or so the year before. I guess that is not disrespect...

I had to laugh at this. Years ago an old employer started a coed softball team and the woman organizing was not familiar with league structure, so she signed us up in a B league when we should have been co-rec or D due to the experience or talent. There were literally 3 of us who could play at that level and the first game we got stomped 24-2. (Since it was B league there was no mercy rule)

It was so bad the umpire batted left handed for the other team in the top of the last inning. It was a fun season but we took it like champs LOL.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #289
larrymcg421
Head Coach

If the batter isn't supposed to swing on a 3-0 pitch when up by 10 runs, then the opposing pitcher shouldn't throw a strike. Maybe we just make 3-0 counts automatic walks, but then people would probably switch their anger to those who swing on 2-0 counts.

Just like if you're not supposed to bunt during a no hitter, then the opposing team shouldn't be able to play their infielders back because they "know" a bunt isn't coming.

I mean, I think both unwritten rules are fucking stupid, but at least these would be consistent for both sides.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-24-2021 at 09:48 AM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #290
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Mercedes actually was hit by a pitch in the ear hole today. Unintentionally and he was fine but both Larussa and Jon had to be smiling.

I'm certainly not going to shed any tears about it, I'd have to dig into it to know how much I'd smile though.

There's a great example of what I mean in Atlanta. Nobody in the game (okay, maybe Tatis?) does more to deserve a steady diet of beanballs than Acuna. But I'd only smile if it was related to his behavior, unlike the frequently random stuff between him & the Marlins earlier in his career.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:31 PM   #291
Atocep
Coordinator

I absolutely despise replay being used to see if a runner came a millimeter off the bag for less than a tenth of a second.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:25 PM   #292
JPhillips
General Manager

This is maybe the worst play in the history of first basemen.

Old 05-27-2021, 12:31 PM   #293
PilotMan
Head Coach

That shows you the difference between someone who's head is in the game, and someone who's head isn't. Talk about mental makeup, good grief. I've never seen that play out like that.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:31 PM   #294
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

haha, I was just coming here to post about it. My 7 year old girls softball team know to just step on first base
Old 05-27-2021, 12:32 PM   #295
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I absolutely despise replay being used to see if a runner came a millimeter off the bag for less than a tenth of a second.

both those plays were brutal and I totally agree with Ronnie that shit like that isn't the reason replay was invented. Those runners have been safe for the first 130 years of baseball.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:50 PM   #296
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What in the name of Fred Merkle was Will Craig doing?
Old 05-27-2021, 12:51 PM   #297
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Christ, there were 2 outs also.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:53 PM   #298
molson
General Manager

At least 80% of the runs I scored in little league occurred similarly.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:15 PM   #299
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

THIS is why balls in play are so much more exciting than HRs and Ks.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:26 PM   #300
Swaggs
Coordinator

I missed baseball so much last year and have been trying to be a good sport, but I'm not sure if people appreciate how bad the Pirates are this year. I know they don't have the worst record yet, but it's just painful to watch. Bryan Reynolds and Adam Frazier and maybe Jacob Stallings are the only players that are on the roster that could potentially start for another team. I guess Richard Rodriguez and Sam Howard are serviceable relief pitchers.

I especially enjoy when we let our back up SS play 1B and 4th or 5th.

The only reason to look forward to this year is that Ke'Bryan Hayes and Mitch Keller were supposed to get shots. Hayes broke his hand in like the second game of the year and Keller has been horrendous. It's rough.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote